User Tag List

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    "Expelled From The Tower"

Status
    Blog Entries
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris View Post
    I would say that manners are entirely dependant on who you are around. I know some Americans that are quite polite and some that are selfish douche bags. I can say the same about Canada, Australia, China, France, Egypt, Italy, Greece... anywhere you can think of. I do hear what you're saying though. I think out of all of them Riley is one of the most realistic characters. Don't get me wrong, I can't fucking stand Riley at all, but the fact that she turned to the bottle to cope with the end of the world is probably the most realistic depiction of a survivor that we've seen. She simply just couldn't deal, and I don't think it had a tremendous amount to do with whether or not anyone was thanking her for what she did, or whether she was able to talk to anyone. I think she just reached the end of her rope and started swinging.

This does raise the interesting question about coping mechanisms. So far we've seen alcoholism, criers, hotheads, people that simple freeze up, and people who absolutely batshit crazy. I wonder what else we'll discover now that a new group is in the mix.
    you and yarri are both making good points, but at the same time, drogon has some valid ideas too. look at it like this: there is this support network going on, the soldiers, including retired ie burt, rely on each other, they speak the same language, they chewed the same dirt, they can speak in a shorthand that lets them acomplish things quickly and effeciently, theoretically. not only that, you have romantic interest, lizzy and saul, michael and pegs, they can rely on each other for confidence in times of stress (ie i need to talk to someone, you're my confidant) then you have the unintentional relationship of relationships, pegs and lizzy are both in romantic relationships so they share a certain bond, along with any of the redshirt females that are in relationships. then you have nationality, with the exception of datu, the rest are presumed to be american, so while she and datu may both be foreigners, datu is from the phillipines (i think) and riley is from france, they speak different languages, and they run in different work circles. datu is a laborer so he shares that with other people who have had jobs in a similar field, meanwhile riley was in the service industry, specifically food preperation. so riley really didn't have much in the way of a support network. now i think that some of her "exile" was self imposed, but that doesn't change the fact that she has had a very tenuous relationship to the rest of the group. now of course, the group has changed and the relationships are kind of reversed.

Blogger from the 9th Floor of the Tower

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassTagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsWell LikedVeteran
    Blog Entries
    I think she's going to do a lot better with just her and Michael.
    Fruity Oaty Bar Jingle: Fruity Oaty Bars! Make a man out of a mouse! Fruity Oaty Bars! Make you bust out of your blouse! Eat them all the time! Let them blow your mind... ohh! Fruity Oaty Bars!
    "Burn it to the ground. My only regret would be not being able to burn it a second time." Osiris, on how the world should burn.

"Expelled From The Tower"

Status
    Blog Entries
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by yarri View Post
    I think she's going to do a lot better with just her and Michael.
    well, now, it's not just her and michael; it's her, michael, and the new cast of characters to be introduced during her round of basic, as well as the characters she meets through michael. the game is changing in new and exciting ways, and i can't wait to hear more.

"Hoarder"

Status
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsLOVED TO DEATHVeteran

Gamertag: AnotherRedShirt Steam ID: AnotherRedShirt
    I'm curious to see how well she is able to handle Basic Training. In the "normal real world" Army basic (at least when I attended) can be a soul crushing meat grinder.

I would think that among some odd 2000 personnel, they would be able to find a few former Drill Sergeants and be able to conduct a viable and effective course. I also wonder how "abbreviated" training is going to be, because much of that training is not just teaching the skill, but also the mental conditioning and instillation of discipline.

If Riley gets a basic training experience like I remember, it's either going to break her or turn out the second coming of Joan of Arc.
    "I've got tons of great ideas. Trouble is, most of 'em suck." George Carlin
    "I've got the guns, the radio and the water for the Zombie Apocalypse, but you gotta have a yo-yo." Chris Boden

Hey, get a load of this. Guess who started writing again and has a spot in the fan fiction subforum?

Ostentatious Legume

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassWiki AmateurWA PointsTagger Second ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Blog Entries

I'm hopeful that she drinks herself to death. Definitely one of my least favourite characters.
    joint-point-counter-joint

"Body Removal Team"

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassPro Level Wiki EditorWA PointsTagger First Class25000 Experience PointsLOVED TO DEATHVeteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Shirt View Post
    If Riley gets a basic training experience like I remember, it's either going to break her or turn out the second coming of Joan of Arc.
    I don't think that basic training in this world is going to be anything like what we went through. I'm imagining something shorter, less focused on creating a break from your past or inculcating the military ethos, and more focused on the skills required for zombie fighting. I agree with Nik that we're not likely to see much, if any of it as it happens, and there's a good chance Riley won't end up going through the entire program.

For the record, Claire Dodin already did the second coming of Joan of Arc on her episode of Deadliest Warrior. Here's the link: http://www.spike.com/full-episodes/u...eason-3-ep-302

"Gatherer"

Status
    Achievements:
    WA PointsWell LikedVeteran5000 Experience Points
    wow my thread ex-fucking-sploded

Ostentatious Legume

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassWiki AmateurWA PointsTagger Second ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cabbage Patch View Post
    I don't think that basic training in this world is going to be anything like what we went through. I'm imagining something shorter, less focused on creating a break from your past or inculcating the military ethos, and more focused on the skills required for zombie fighting. I agree with Nik that we're not likely to see much, if any of it as it happens, and there's a good chance Riley won't end up going through the entire program.

For the record, Claire Dodin already did the second coming of Joan of Arc on her episode of Deadliest Warrior. Here's the link: http://www.spike.com/full-episodes/u...eason-3-ep-302
    The two best representations of Jeanne in cinematic history have been Milla Jovovic (The Messenger) and Jane Wiedlin (Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure).

"Body Removal Team"

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassPro Level Wiki EditorWA PointsTagger First Class25000 Experience PointsLOVED TO DEATHVeteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris View Post
    The two best representations of Jeanne in cinematic history have been Milla Jovovic (The Messenger) and Jane Wiedlin (Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure).
    How did I not know that was Jane Wiedlin playing Joan? And I called myself a Go-Gos fan, for shame.

Ostentatious Legume

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cabbage Patch View Post
    How did I not know that was Jane Wiedlin playing Joan? And I called myself a Go-Gos fan, for shame.
    It's ok, bro. It happens.

P.S. Go-Gos are fucking AWESOME!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast