User Tag List

Gatherer of Degrees

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassTagger First ClassWiki AmateurVeteranWell Liked10000 Experience Points

Editing software and hardware

For my class, I got to visit a news agency in the DC area recently, and I noticed that while the older crowd and the people who didn't have a direct hand in production used windows computers, the younger crowd and especially those involved in editing and publishing content on the web used Apple computers.

While there's compatibility issues IT-wise, at least from my perspective, what benefits does a Mac Pro have over a regular windows computer when it comes to production of audio and/or video broadcasts?

I presume the studio was using boot camp as well on the Mar Pros, but I'm confused as to why they have two different types of computers being used on the same floor.
    Last edited by Hellbringer; Apr 29th, 2012 at 04:01 PM.
    "I have better things to do tonight than die."
    -Springer (while loading a mortar shell)

Ostentatious Legume

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassWiki AmateurWA PointsTagger Second ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Blog Entries

I would assume it is simply the sheer volume of editing software available for Mac. I know that they've been a standard in the music industry for around a decade so there seems to be a larger field of companies producing software specifically for that OS.

Mac also has a friendlier user interface which I would imagine is also a consideration in the choice to base the industry standard around it.
    joint-point-counter-joint

"Expelled From The Tower"

Status
    Blog Entries
    Blog Entries
    i do a lot of audio video editing and i gotta tell you, my macky is awesome for it. hardcore computer geeks dump on macs all the time but i've tried video editing on pcs and it was clunky and complicated. i used final cut pro on the mac and it was much smoother, much more intuitive. for some reason editing software for pcs sucks but it works great on macs. it proly has something to do with the fact that windows is a lot more open than osx when it comes to upgrades and software. macs are pretty standard so you can optimize the program so it runs increadibly smooth.

Gatherer of Degrees

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassTagger First ClassWiki AmateurVeteranWell Liked10000 Experience Points
    Yeah, I'm not familiar with audio and video editing software. I bought my wife Adobe Elements because Photoshop was way too expensive and Paint Shop Pro has gone downhill over the years, according to her, but those are picture editing software, not audio/video.

Curious about all this, even though I doubt I'll ever hold a camera to take serious footage... ever.
    "I have better things to do tonight than die."
    -Springer (while loading a mortar shell)

Ostentatious Legume

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassWiki AmateurWA PointsTagger Second ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by reaper239 View Post
    i do a lot of audio video editing and i gotta tell you, my macky is awesome for it. hardcore computer geeks dump on macs all the time but i've tried video editing on pcs and it was clunky and complicated. i used final cut pro on the mac and it was much smoother, much more intuitive. for some reason editing software for pcs sucks but it works great on macs. it proly has something to do with the fact that windows is a lot more open than osx when it comes to upgrades and software. macs are pretty standard so you can optimize the program so it runs increadibly smooth.
    Yeah I've done some video editing tests on PC while trying to put together a crew for a short film shoot a couple of years back and I have to agree. PC is shit as far as power and ease of use. I didn't find a big difference as far as mixing audio, but I wasn't working with massive files either--only 13 tracks per piece--but I know that for audio Mac really shines for doing large studio projects. I think it depends on the application--whether it is a small home project as opposed to a intense studio project like Nine Inch Nails or something that is incredibly complex and resource intensive. Since that's not the direction I'm heading, I sort of lost track though. But hey... I'm a PC.
    joint-point-counter-joint

The Voice of Narf FM

Status

Gamertag: ComradeNarf PSN ID: ComradeNarf
    Final Cut Pro is absolutely amazing. I don't own a Mac, but that's the program that makes me daydream about buying one. Adobe Premier is slowly (oh so slowly) catching up to Final Cut's reliability and easy of use, but the price difference is staggering. Final Cut provides an immense bang for your buck. I think one of the best things going for Mac is that you can buy a Mac Pro and know, without a doubt, that it's going to be ready for video editing. You can buy a pricey PC, but they may not have everything you need for a lot of editing. Additionally, I've found Macbooks to be very powerful. I use a Wacom tablet, and the response on a laptop is always a little bit better on a Mac vs. PC.

I've always had luck with audio editing on a PC, though I haven't done anything as large-scale as Kc, maybe 7 stereo tracks with 1 effects track and 1 music track. I think Kc said he can easily clear 40 tracks to handle all of the fades and whatnot.

That said PC is good for basic editing. I've done a decent amount of animating using Flash and Toon Boom Animate, exporting it, and mixing everything in Windows Movie Maker. It's always been easy, and works well. If I could build my own Mac, I'd be very inclined to get one for my video editing (tinkerer by nature). But until I get into some heavy mixing and editing, I'll stick with my PC.
    Angel Fan Club Haiku:
    Angel is the best.
    Quick! Leap through that window there!
    Ew, flat behemoth.

"Expelled From The Tower"

Status
    Blog Entries
    Blog Entries
    yeah, it's kind of like with gaming, console vs pc. sure pc can run higher res graphics and a higher multi count, but only if you are willing to pay out the butt to get the best new hardware that comes out every week, where as with a console you never have to worry about it.

"Lurker"

Status
    There are so many opportunities for software development right now. I'm especially surprised by the variety of interface options. I'm a beginner developer and don't quite understand this, but this is interesting to me.