User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First Class50000 Experience PointsPro Level Wiki EditorVeteranExtreme LoveOverdrive
    Blog Entries

Gamertag: kc wayland Steam ID: waylandprod

The WAR on Wikia...

Update!!!

It's DONE! My filing is complete and they removed all the copyrighted materials. http://zombiepodcast.wikia.com/ is now barren. The battle is won. However, they still won't re-activate my account, which I honestly don't care much about. It's a graveyard now. Thanks everyone for your support! WE WON!

----------------------------------
    Wikia is now the bane of my existence. According to them we cannot remove our copyrighted material from their servers.

The URL:
    http://zombiepodcast.wikia.com/

I have been now blocked from removing content from the page and received this when asking them to remove the content:

Sannse Carter Cushway, Feb 08 09:21 pm (UTC):
    Hi,
    All content created on Wikia is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike license - http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/legalcode . This gives a Wikia (and anyone else) permission to host and use the content. This is not revokable, and applies even if you choose to edit elsewhere.
    We use this license because it's the most free and open way to host and co-operatively work on wikis - which is also why Wikipedia uses it. It's this license that allows you to take the content (including content you didn't write) and host it on a new wiki. But it's also this license that allows us to continue to host the content after you leave.
    Of course, we are happy to look into any copyright issues for content not under the CC-by-sa. For this, we require the necessary information in the form of a DMCA notification from the copyright holder or the copyright holder's agent. For our copyright statement, please see http://www.wikia.com/wiki/Wikia:Term...t_Infringement.
    I will be removing your rights on the wiki, and replacing the deleted content. We respect your right to edit wherever you choose. Please respect our right to keep the wiki open.
    Regards,
    -- sannse
    Sannse Carter Cushway
    Wikia Community Support

So, who has any advice on how to get the content removed?
    Last edited by Kc; Feb 16th, 2012 at 08:46 AM.

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First Class50000 Experience PointsPro Level Wiki EditorVeteranExtreme LoveOverdrive
    Blog Entries

here is the letter I'm sending:

My name is Kc Wayland and I am the author of collection, "We're Alive". Copywritten artwork has been reproduced at http://zombiepodcast.wikia.com/ which infringes on my copyright.

The original We're Alive, to which I own the electronic rights, can be found here:

http://www.amazon.com/Were-Alive-Sto..._bxgy_b_text_b

The unauthorized and infringing copy can be found at:

http://zombiepodcast.wikia.com/

This letter is official notification under Section 512(c) of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (”DMCA”), and I seek the removal of the aforementioned infringing material from your website. I request that you immediately notify the infringer of this notice and notify them to cease any further posting of infringing material in the future.

I am providing this notice in good faith and with the reasonable belief that rights I own are being infringed. Under penalty of perjury I certify that the information contained in the notification is both true and accurate, and I have the authority to act on behalf of the owner of the copyright(s) involved.

Should you wish to discuss this with me please contact me.

Thank you.

Kc Wayland

omnipresent

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassExtreme LoveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Blog Entries

Gamertag: t0dd i5 d3ad PSN ID: --- Steam ID: --- Wii Code: ---
    Letter looks pretty solid

That was the thing I thought of as I read through the creative commons laws. While I'm certainly no legal genius, it would seem they have classified your work into the creative commons group when it should fall under copyrighted material. While I'm not sure where the old material falls in all that...it should all be under the same name..or at the very least grandfathered in when/if any changes were made. Though I'm pretty sure you've been copyrighted the entire time.

Doubtful this has helped any....but good luck man, some business's need to re-take ethics classes...just because you CAN do something...doesn't mean you should.

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    Blog Entries

They can keep all the text up there they want, but I have every right to the images to remove them if need be. It's NOT user generated content. Hopefully if there's no images there, people will get the hint.

Minimalist

Status
    Achievements:
    Wiki AmateurTagger Second ClassWell LikedVeteran10000 Experience Points

Steam ID: abayarts Wii Code: abayarts
    When you click on characters, they have a paragraph saying that they'll redirect you to the actual zombiepodcast.com site and they're claiming you wrote it. That sucks.
    Follow me on twitter @ abayarts and on Tumblr at abayarts.tumblr.com

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by abayarts View Post
    When you click on characters, they have a paragraph saying that they'll redirect you to the actual zombiepodcast.com site and they're claiming you wrote it. That sucks.
    No, I did write it, but Wikia, the main site, blocked me from removing any content that I created on there. I sent them the DCMA notice, so we'll see what happens.

omnipresent

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    Blog Entries

Very silly question.

In regards to the images, do you own the rights to the images or the images themselves. By this I mean could the original artist who created the images remove them? For example, say Otto created the work...but with him being a professional, the actual creative title goes to him, instead of you?... Probly not the case...but just fleshing out ideas

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    Blog Entries

Yes, that's true. The artwork was done by Ben, and I could get him involved, but it shouldn't have to get to that level. The reason they have a problem with this is because they have MAJOR problems keeping Wiki's on Wikia with all the crap they load into their website, and people are leaving. BUT when you have fan-submitted content you want to move over, you can, but they don't want you to delete it. With the images, however, those are NOT generated by users and are in fact copy-written.

omnipresent

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    Blog Entries

Damn..again

Just because you CAN...

Best of luck with all this

"Lurker"

Status
    I recommend editing the wiki so that it contains nothing but links to the video "Two Girls, One Cup". Or 'Man Drains Huge Cyst', I'm not picky. Anything to get them to delete it all

Oh, and I have a question to ask of you KC. I've been writing a few Radio Dramas using the Celtx software but it just doesn't seem 'right', for lack of a better word. Have you ever released a copy of one of the scripts for 'We're Alive' to the interwebs? I'd love to be able to see how things are formatted these days and learn from someone who's actually successful at it

Cheerio!

Neil

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast