User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The High Place

Blogger from the 9th Floor of the Tower

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassTagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsWell LikedVeteran
    Blog Entries
    Chapter five
    “…With loyalty will I endeavor to aid the physician in his work…”-Excerpt from the Florence Nightingale Pledge.
    The University of Washington medical center looked like an abandoned building after a bomb blast. Multiple windows were gone. The glass shards on the sidewalk indicated some of them had been broken out from the inside, the faded rust red smears on the cement told Hill that the occupants of the hospital all hadn’t escaped. He pushed the motorcycle up the side walking hiding it behind some overgrown bushes next to the windows he had scouted out earlier. Out of the saddled bag, Hill pulled several bottles of very good Pinot Noir. The labels were in French and without pausing he smashed the heads off against the wall and proceeded to pour out the wine in a wide circle around the bike. The acidic smell of red grapes and summertime wafted up and around Hill as he watched the wine spill out and soak into the winter dry ground. The scent would shield him from the biters and give him time to work uninterrupted on the med room window. Hill began to tape the thick glass with lines of strapping tape, three inches wide until the window was covered. Taking out a hammer and screwdriver he topped the glass out of the frame. When the top half folded over the rest of the glass was easy to pull out. Leaving it on the ground Hill climbed into the med room.
    The stench of rotten flesh overwhelmed Hill and he gagged, vomited, wiping his mouth on his sleeve and took out a pen light and looked around. The light found a partially skeletonized rotting body of a biter wedged in the narrow shattered window of the med room door. Moving as close as the impromptu barricade of work table and refrigerator would allow him. He could see the back and shoulders of the biter were dotted like a pin cushion with insulin and heparin syringes. Underfoot were dozens of empty insulin bottles rolling around on the floor. Hill’s attention was caught by the cork board. It was covered with dozen of pictures, mostly women. “The nurses… these are the unit’s nurses” He said softly. A picture in the corner caught his eye. There were six of them, there scrubs were tropic bright and they were clowning for the camera making faces, their arms were around each other’s shoulders. He took the picture not knowing why in turning he began to search the room when the pin light found the bathroom door closed, black marks line the white paint of the door. Moving closer he could make out words and a layer of plastic bulged out from underneath the door. Squatting Hill could make out the serosanguinous and the bile green fluid of decomposing bodies behind the plastic containment. Two ID badges on lanyards hung on the doorknob. Written on the door in black felt tip marker: “Behind this door are the remains of Roberta Hayes RN and Eliza Clarke pharmacy tech. We died together on the sixth of July. Two days past the end of the world. We were abandoned by the bitches. I could see them from the window scampering from the windows and out. Every one of them gone, I didn’t know fat girls could run so fast. I hope they die screaming with a plague on their crotches. But if I had been them I’d have left my bitchie ass here too. I really can’t blame them. I was never really nice to them to start with. I saw them running toward the parking garage. They had kids with them from the PEDS unit upstairs. I think Sasha’s daughter Happy was with them. At least I hope the nurse in pink was Happy. She’s a good kid and a good nurse. She always understood me. I sincerely hope on my chance at heaven that the girls made it out ok. Enough of the pity party, to whoever finds this… These things bleed, breathe and are warm there for they can be killed by things other than bullets. I’m not sure of the amount of insulin and heparin needed or which one of them worked but we dropped the sucker. We tried several times to get out but the things… the monsters were always waiting so we decided to escape a different way. Before we leave, Eliza and I wish to give you a gift. We packed up everything we thought would be useful to someone in a situation like this. The duffle bag on the PIXIS behind you is what you want. We packed narcs, antibiotics and all of the pills as well as a few IVF bags with the tubing and IV start kits as well as syringes and needles. We kept one PCA CADD of dilaudid and some IV potassium to aid in our escape. We didn't think you would mind. Death by high sounds better then death by starving or being turned into one of those things, Eliza’s scared so am I but I promised her it wouldn't hurt. I’ll end this now by saying God speed, God bless and good luck. Love to all Bobby.”
    Hill took the badges off the door knob pocketing them with the picture. “Good work, Ladies. Thank you.” He touched the door where the two brave women lay at rest in farewell turned and taking the duffle bag climbed out the window and was gone.
    Last edited by yarri; Mar 19th, 2013 at 09:04 AM.
    Likes thisonegirl, Osiris liked this post
    Fruity Oaty Bar Jingle: Fruity Oaty Bars! Make a man out of a mouse! Fruity Oaty Bars! Make you bust out of your blouse! Eat them all the time! Let them blow your mind... ohh! Fruity Oaty Bars!
    "Burn it to the ground. My only regret would be not being able to burn it a second time." Osiris, on how the world should burn.

"Lurker"

Status
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    I registered just to encourage you to continue this story.

I think it has great potential.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12