omnipresent

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassExtreme LoveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Blog Entries

Gamertag: t0dd i5 d3ad PSN ID: --- Steam ID: --- Wii Code: ---

retirement on mars

An interesting subject came up while i was working and we had a little downtime. If it were an option, would you spend the last few years of your life on another planet? For those of you unfamilar with how this could happen i give you this nice little article as a subject matter

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...ex-rocket-mars

so yes...the idea of retiring to mars seems like quite the pipe-dream at the moment. but, at the rate in which technology and science advances these days is it really out of the question? To me, the idea of spending let's say the last fifteen years of my life helping to shape a civilization on another planet is far to amazing an opportunity to pass up. and it would seem at least, as that may be possible....

the question i have for you, is the same one myself and my three friends spent an hour debating....would you go to mars to spend your last remaining years? yes? no? and why...

todd out

"Expelled From The Tower"

Status
    Blog Entries
    Blog Entries
    i'd actually have to say no. when i retire, i don't want to spend my golden years fighting to survive on a hostile planet. even if there were properly habitable areas where i could retire in peace, there is far too much on earth for me to want to want to live cooped up in a dome. since your question isn't limited to mars however: what if we found a lush earth like planet that we could reach in time for me to retire? i don't want to spend my golden years exploring the unknown, i want to see the wonders of earth, from natural formations, to evidence of man's ingenuity. i would love to spend my youth on a foreign world, but i would like to spend my old age somewhere familiar.

Blogger from the 9th Floor of the Tower

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassTagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsWell LikedVeteran
    Blog Entries
    I'd go. To use the last remaining part of my life settling a world for my children and grandchildren would be a worthy adventure and a lasting legacy to leave for them.
    Fruity Oaty Bar Jingle: Fruity Oaty Bars! Make a man out of a mouse! Fruity Oaty Bars! Make you bust out of your blouse! Eat them all the time! Let them blow your mind... ohh! Fruity Oaty Bars!
    "Burn it to the ground. My only regret would be not being able to burn it a second time." Osiris, on how the world should burn.

"Gatherer"

Status
    I'm in! Send my happy @$$ to Alpha Centauri....(hope they have those green, dancing women from Star Trek there...)

omnipresent

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassExtreme LoveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Blog Entries

Gamertag: t0dd i5 d3ad PSN ID: --- Steam ID: --- Wii Code: ---
    For me, just the idea of looking through a telescope...and instead seeing a small red dot (mars) you see a pale blue dot....yea....thats amazing to me,

Or hell, just knowing that most of us...within our lifetimes will not be among those to say, truthfully venture to places like alpha centari...or some lush bone earth like our own. Why not be a part of the groundwork for the future civilization that does?...hell with that in mind I would happily spend my last remaining days as a worker, not a retiree....knowing it would better mankind

Damn Hand Cannon

Status
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points
    Social Security solved!
    Teething
    Reminds me of the cleanup at Fukashima. There were the fukashima fifty(fifty man crews fighting the fires in the reactors). Aftermath there were elderly volunteering to do clean up rather than have the young do it. By the time the radioactivity creates deadly, expensive cancer in the highly exposed they are already dead (20-40 yrs).
    Teeth
    Does rocking the Claw Machine a worthy apocalyptic talent?