User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    "Lurker"

Status
    Day by Day just didn't do anything for me. I wanted to like it so much, but the writing was just so boring. I read the second one in hopes that it would have gotten better, but there's just something about it that made me not care in the slightest about the protagonist. Temple, from The Angels Were the Reapers though, was a brilliant protagonist. And the antagonist in that book was equally brilliant.

Minimalist

Status
    Achievements:
    Wiki AmateurTagger Second ClassWell LikedVeteran10000 Experience Points

Steam ID: abayarts Wii Code: abayarts
    For a quick read and if you're a fan of Star Trek, read Night of the living Trekkie.
    Follow me on twitter @ abayarts and on Tumblr at abayarts.tumblr.com

"Gatherer"

Status
    J.L. Bourne Day by Day Armageddon is my favorite. Though I will say WWZ was a damn good read. I know the movie is going to be very different from the book but am looking forward to it. Have to laugh though dbda and wwz seen to leading the pack here though I have seen a couple books referenced that I am gonna add to my read at work during downtime list. Nothing better than reading zombie fiction on the clock.

"Gatherer"

Status
    World War Z still takes my love

I have read DBDA and am working on Beyond Exile now- I like it and enjoy it, but even with the use of Marines in it, it doesn't have the hook in me as World War Z did

"Fresh Meat"

Status

My favorite is definitely WWZ. I also recommend One Eighteen Migration by Will Ross. One Eighteen originally started out as an audio drama, but the author decided to release it as a book.

"Body Removal Team"

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassPro Level Wiki EditorWA PointsTagger First Class25000 Experience PointsLOVED TO DEATHVeteran
    I'll add another vote for World War Z.

My second choice would be any of the three books by Craig diLouie, "Tooth and Nail", "The Infection" or the newly published "On the Killing Floor". Of the three I would probably put "The Infection" first, "Tooth and Nail" last, but they're all exciting reads.

Ostentatious Legume

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassWiki AmateurWA PointsTagger Second ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Blog Entries

I'd say Day by Day Armageddon, World War Z, and Patient Zero would be my favourite picks. They each have their places in the genre and do great jobs representing their specific sub-genres. Patient Zero is great for zombie/tech, Day by Day is amazing for it's first person journal style fiction and World War Z is a great blend of both.
    joint-point-counter-joint

"Body Removal Team"

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassPro Level Wiki EditorWA PointsTagger First Class25000 Experience PointsLOVED TO DEATHVeteran
    One interesting "alternative" format zombie story that I would recommend is "Mom's Journal of the Zombie Years" http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewt...5300&start=240, which is presented in an online blog format. I understand that this is how Day by Day Armageddon started. The perspective is very different, focusing on the viewpoint of a mom, whose main interest is the logistics of feeding her family.

Ostentatious Legume

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassWiki AmateurWA PointsTagger Second ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cabbage Patch View Post
    One interesting "alternative" format zombie story that I would recommend is "Mom's Journal of the Zombie Years" http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewt...5300&start=240, which is presented in an online blog format. I understand that this is how Day by Day Armageddon started. The perspective is very different, focusing on the viewpoint of a mom, whose main interest is the logistics of feeding her family.
    There are quite a number of books that started out as 'blogs'. Day by Day, John Dies at the End, I may be mistaken about it, but I believe the Morningstar Strain started the same way as well... seems to be a great way to install a fan base before releasing it in a physical form.
    joint-point-counter-joint

"Lurker"

Status
    Let's see.. I've read quite a few now (I fixate on subjects), so far my opinions:

Day By Day Armageddon was good read, seemed kind of flat when I look back at it...
    The Infection -- Craig Dilouie -- good
    Plague of the Dead -- Z A Recht -- good, liked it better than DBDA (would read it again)
    White Flag of the Dead (series) -- Joseph Talluto -- got tired of how perfect the main character was... needed more humanity.
    Rise Again -- Ben Tripp -- was okay... human flaws appreciated
    Tooth and Nail -- Craig Dilouie -- good

(read at least another 6-8 books which were not very memorable)

My favorite (which I didn't think I'd like when I picked it up) was Ex-Heroes by Peter Clines

I like the more action-horror based stories I guess -- pure horror has it's place, but it's a bit draining if there is no chance for the world.
    Last edited by charles; Apr 24th, 2012 at 07:52 AM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast