User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    "Lurker"

Status

The We're Alive Game

Heya, I know I'm new here and stuff but I wanted to jump right into things and what I basically joined the forums for. So anyways I wanted to propose an interesting idea. You've clearly gathered the idea from the title so it's time to elaborate. I've worked with teams on indie games before but they always become inactive or something, regardless I figured the community here is somewhat small but active and hopefully talented.

What I have in mind is an old school top down pixel art shooter rpgish kind of game. I can hopefully offer coding as I learn it and possibly music composition. I use the program Game Maker 9, I find it easy and quickly adaptable and we could collaborate through drop box. Anyways, I anyone is good with sprites or artwork of somekind and can contribute or fluent in a code relevant to whatever platform we decide to use.

There's obviously alot that needs to be decided like how to incorporate the audio from were alive, that's if kc is cool with it, and game design specifics, character roles, etc.

So... Thoughts??

Afterlife of the party

Status
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsPro Level Wiki EditorTagger First ClassVeteran

PSN ID: jobe_tr Steam ID: jobe_tr
    Here's kind of the problem. A lot the story wouldn't lend itself to a game without a fairly large rewrite. A lot of dialogue happens in WA, because it is an audio drama. In video games/movies you have something to break that with the visuals. I'm not saying it can't be done. It's just that it will take a lot of work.
    It's pronounced: johb
    Find me elsewhere: Reddit - j0be | PSN - jobe_tr | T - @jobe_tr | Facebook

"Lurker"

Status
    Always fun to expand the We're Alive universe... How about a fun Tower Defence game?

"Expelled From The Tower"

Status
    Blog Entries
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nrtv20 View Post
    Always fun to expand the We're Alive universe... How about a fun Tower Defence game?
    SPOILER 
    Last edited by nikvoodoo; Aug 5th, 2011 at 07:51 AM. Reason: added spoiler tags

Dadmin

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First Class50000 Experience PointsPro Level Wiki EditorVeteran
    Blog Entries

Please remember that "Everything Else" is a spoiler free zone. I know we're talking about the show tangentially with this thread, so proceed with caution in terms of the plot points. Thanks!
    ~Ra1th: Nik doesn't sleep, he waits.~
    ~TCM Revolver: ra1th needs to be on the look out for cars that appear to be moved recently, and nikvoodoo on the rooftops
    Voodoo Lounge Here!! Twitter: Follow Me, Follow WA Follow WND

"Lurker"

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by j0be View Post
    Here's kind of the problem. A lot the story wouldn't lend itself to a game without a fairly large rewrite. A lot of dialogue happens in WA, because it is an audio drama. In video games/movies you have something to break that with the visuals. I'm not saying it can't be done. It's just that it will take a lot of work.
    Well I was thinking more of the dialogue as a cutscene sort of thing mostly, or just exclude it and have text dialogue. I feel like tower defense wouldn't give any room to showcase the story.

"Builder"

Status
    I really like the idea of tower defense game!
    For a wounded man shall say to his assailant: if I live I will kill you, if I die you are forgiven Such is the rule of honor.

Chicken-Zombie Overlord

Status
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Steam ID: Magrat
    The tower defence game sounds like a solid idea. Can't wait to see what comes of it.

Anyone else's thoughts on a We're Alive board/card game? You could have a
    SPOILER 
    card, sort of like the cylon card in the BSG game. WIth certain characters attached to certain abilities/specialties. Team-based fighting that can boil down to an us vs them mentality if you want to 1 on 1 it?

Hmmm... I need to think more about this.
    I wear a fedora now... fedora's are cool!
    Winner of the coveted ZOMBIE CHICKEN AWARD
    Anyone else waiting for a Doctor Who zombie? No? Huh, just me then...

"Expelled From The Tower"

Status
    Blog Entries
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Magrat View Post
    The tower defence game sounds like a solid idea. Can't wait to see what comes of it.

Anyone else's thoughts on a We're Alive board/card game? You could have a
    SPOILER 
    card, sort of like the cylon card in the BSG game. WIth certain characters attached to certain abilities/specialties. Team-based fighting that can boil down to an us vs them mentality if you want to 1 on 1 it?

Hmmm... I need to think more about this.
    the only problem with a board game is production and distribution. with a video game you can distribute it over the internet, ensuring to reach the maximum audience. regarding the dialogue and cutscenes and what not you could just overlay the dialogue on top of the action, sort of like a timer. but if you really want to stay away from tower defense, then check out dead frontier: top down-esque, free roam, action oriented, not complicated. the only thing you would need to watch out for is leaving things opaque when you walk under them (my only real beef with that game). that style would allow you to take on different characters for different missions, for instance, in chapter one you play as either saul angel or michael, securing the guns and fighting off a wave as the door is opened. in chapter two you choose from the same and clear the tower. etc. character selection would be based on the chapter, and would determine gear (ie m16 or saw in chapter 2). and you could release it in chapters, much like the show itself.

Chicken-Zombie Overlord

Status
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Steam ID: Magrat
    Quote Originally Posted by reaper239 View Post
    the only problem with a board game is production and distribution. with a video game you can distribute it over the internet, ensuring to reach the maximum audience. regarding the dialogue and cutscenes and what not you could just overlay the dialogue on top of the action, sort of like a timer. but if you really want to stay away from tower defense, then check out dead frontier: top down-esque, free roam, action oriented, not complicated. the only thing you would need to watch out for is leaving things opaque when you walk under them (my only real beef with that game). that style would allow you to take on different characters for different missions, for instance, in chapter one you play as either saul angel or michael, securing the guns and fighting off a wave as the door is opened. in chapter two you choose from the same and clear the tower. etc. character selection would be based on the chapter, and would determine gear (ie m16 or saw in chapter 2). and you could release it in chapters, much like the show itself.
    Nice. I like the idea. I still think a board game/card game type thing would work (even as a separate idea to the video game, which would be awesome!). Probably card more than board as printing them out would be easier than printing out an entire board. but possible.
    I wear a fedora now... fedora's are cool!
    Winner of the coveted ZOMBIE CHICKEN AWARD
    Anyone else waiting for a Doctor Who zombie? No? Huh, just me then...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast