User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Philly Phanatic Zombie

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabbage Patch View Post
    As of Chapter 29 we have additional information on how the government reacted in the We're Alive universe.

SPOILER 

So Lesson 1 of what the Government should do during an Outbreak is order the troops to open fire!
    Hey Cabbage Patch, that reminded me of the book Tooth and Nail by Craig DiLouie that you recommended ahwile ago. That book pretty much follows what would happen within the government during an outbreak. And also very clearly shows how they were hesitate to fire upon the infected.

"Expelled From The Tower"

Status
    Blog Entries
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ClearSights View Post
    Hey Cabbage Patch, that reminded me of the book Tooth and Nail by Craig DiLouie that you recommended ahwile ago. That book pretty much follows what would happen within the government during an outbreak. And also very clearly shows how they were hesitate to fire upon the infected.
    see, the problem here is that we're all citing fictional work and sying "look see, this shows what would happen." except that it's just what one guy thinks would happen. think about it like this: the base is on high alert, gate guards have been double, orders to stop those who violate the checkpoint still stand, but the mg says, "don't shoot unarmed civilians." your watching people (group a) run towards the base fleeing from other people (group b) who stop and devour anyone from group a they happen to catch. i'm gonna yell three times for you to stop, and at least once you'll proly be out of ear shot. anyone who looks like a zombie or was visually identified as a member of group b will be shot, at a minimum group a will be detained but if i think you're a threat you will be dropped. think too, army and marines don't typically spend more than three years at a time on a single base (there are exceptions of course but this is a rule of thumb) are they likely to see a freind or neighbor? they don't have a lot of local F&Ns to begin with so proly not, and if they do they aren't likely to be too close. i think that once things got in full swing you'd have a harder time stopping them from shooting uninfected civilians simply because they aren't moving right, or look too bloody, or something of that nature.

"Body Removal Team"

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassPro Level Wiki EditorWA PointsTagger First Class25000 Experience PointsLOVED TO DEATHVeteran
    Quote Originally Posted by reaper239 View Post
    ...army and marines don't typically spend more than three years at a time on a single base (there are exceptions of course but this is a rule of thumb) are they likely to see a freind or neighbor? they don't have a lot of local F&Ns to begin with so proly not, and if they do they aren't likely to be too close. i think that once things got in full swing you'd have a harder time stopping them from shooting uninfected civilians simply because they aren't moving right, or look too bloody, or something of that nature.
    I think there's a pretty good chance that hesitating to shoot "civilians" is only going to be a problem before the first batch of them start killing the people around you, after which it's kill-or-be-killed. The problem is that first moment of hesitation. As We're Alive has shown us, and as Craig diLouie graphically describes in his books, there aren't many "second chances" in the zombie apocalypse.

Blogger from the 9th Floor of the Tower

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassTagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsWell LikedVeteran
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabbage Patch View Post
    I think there's a pretty good chance that hesitating to shoot "civilians" is only going to be a problem before the first batch of them start killing the people around you, after which it's kill-or-be-killed. The problem is that first moment of hesitation. As We're Alive has shown us, and as Craig diLouie graphically describes in his books, there aren't many "second chances" in the zombie apocalypse.
    I agree with your points Cabbage... utterly and I can't rep you bah!
    Fruity Oaty Bar Jingle: Fruity Oaty Bars! Make a man out of a mouse! Fruity Oaty Bars! Make you bust out of your blouse! Eat them all the time! Let them blow your mind... ohh! Fruity Oaty Bars!
    "Burn it to the ground. My only regret would be not being able to burn it a second time." Osiris, on how the world should burn.

We're Alive Sponsor

Status

PSN ID: random_highjinx
    So, I come from an old school military family. Every male in my family has been military as far back as we can trace our lineage. My father, specifically, had quite an interesting military career. I asked him what he thought the government would do and this is what he said, "Be less concerned about what the government would do to protect you, and be more concerned about what you would do to protect yourself." In so few words I'll outline what he said.

1. In the event of a full scale national pandemic that resembles bio-terrorisim, the government would likely shut down the country's borders then the state governments would shut down their individual borders. They would likely be enforce them with fire on sight.

2. Stay AWAY from military bases. When dealing with bio-warfare, they will shoot you if you come into their sniper space. They will not hesitate. They cannot afford to let anything infected into their compounds. Most probably don't give the military enough credit on this one. If it looks like they are dealing with biological weapons, they will shoot anyone that approaches bases/military vehicles/ships/etc. In that kind of event, it is one of their first lines of defense. If you are not a soldier in communication with the base... do not go near it. It'll give you a chance to live a lot longer.

3. If things get out of hand, they will bomb the shit out of everything. If it looks like they cannot first stop the problem, they will withdraw and try to contain it. If they cannot contain it, they will destroy it.

There's probably more details to it then that. But, there ya go. lol
    Last edited by random_highjinx; Jun 4th, 2012 at 11:53 AM.
    Welcome to the wonderful world of jealousy. For the price of admission, you get a splitting headache, a nearly irresistible urge to commit murder, and an inferiority complex.
    Random_Highjinx: Official Unofficial Adopter of Zombie Scissor Kitty
    All Hail Zombie Scissor Kitty!!!!

Status
    Blog Entries
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by random_highjinx View Post
    So, I come from an old school military family. Every male in my family has been military as far back as we can trace our lineage. My father, specifically, had quite an interesting military career. I asked him what he thought the government would do and this is what he said, "Be less concerned about what the government would do to protect you, and be more concerned about what you would do to protect yourself." In so few words I'll outline what he said.

1. In the event of a full scale national pandemic that resembles bio-terrorisim, the government would likely shut down the country's borders then the state governments would shut down their individual borders. They would likely be enforce them with fire on sight.

2. Stay AWAY from military bases. When dealing with bio-warfare, they will shoot you if you come into their sniper space. They will not hesitate. They cannot afford to let anything infected into their compounds. Most probably don't give the military enough credit on this one. If it looks like they are dealing with biological weapons, they will shoot anyone that approaches bases/military vehicles/ships/etc. In that kind of event, it is one of their first lines of defense. If you are not a soldier in communication with the base... do not go near it. It'll give you a chance to live a lot longer.

3. If things get out of hand, they will bomb the shit out of everything. If it looks like they cannot first stop the problem, they will withdraw and try to contain it. If they cannot contain it, they will destroy it.

There's probably more details to it then that. But, there ya go. lol
    too true

Philly Phanatic Zombie

Status
    Achievements:
    In all tho,

No matter how much preperation there is or has been, no matter how ready the government is or will be. If anything of We're Alive magnitude happens. Everybody will turn to a Survival of the Fittess outlook.

"Scavenger"

Status
    Reaper, I offer this as a counterpoint to your assumption people know what to do in a zombie attack. This dumbass in Miami decided it would be a good idea (after what just happened with the guy getting his face eaten off) to dress up like a zombie and roam the streets scaring people. Everyone runs except at the very end when he chooses the wrong group of guys to mess with.

http://youtube.com/watch?feature=m-trends&v=4awVqRr1eCo

Edit: I don't know why the video won't embed but if you have problems viewing it it is on the main page of YouTube right now. Or search Miami Zombie Attack Prank.
    Last edited by Loyal Retainer; Jun 4th, 2012 at 01:05 PM.

Status
    Blog Entries
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Loyal Retainer View Post
    Reaper, I offer this as a counterpoint to your assumption people know what to do in a zombie attack. This dumbass in Miami decided it would be a good idea (after what just happened with the guy getting his face eaten off) to dress up like a zombie and roam the streets scaring people. Everyone runs except at the very end when he chooses the wrong group of guys to mess with. http://youtube.com/watch?feature=m-trends&v=4awVqRr1eCoEdit: I don't know why the video won't embed but if you have problems viewing it it is on the main page of YouTube right now. Or search Miami Zombie Attack Prank.
    i would actually offer that as supporting evidence, and here's why: none of those people were prepared, but everyone of them knew to put distance between themselves and the zombie, and not to take it on empty handed. then he ran into a group that had some form of arms, and they sought to fight back.

Philly Phanatic Zombie

Status
    Achievements:
    Haha watch that guys other videos, he has the biggest balls

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast