User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    "Body Removal Team"

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassPro Level Wiki EditorWA PointsTagger First Class25000 Experience PointsLOVED TO DEATHVeteran

Tower What Should the Government Do During an Outbreak?

I was hoping we could use this thread to discuss ideas of how government agencies should respond to a zombie type outbreak.

In every story I've ever seen or read about a zombie outbreaks the government response has either been abysmal, or non-existent. "We're Alive" is fairly typical. First the government misinterprets the outbreak as rioting and sends in police. Then there's an effort to activate the National Guard and set up evacuation centers. Meanwhile the zombie tide surges, fueled by panicked crowds trying to escape the outbreak, and within hours it is over.

Are we doomed if something like this happens, or is there a way that the government could do things better?

I'll throw one idea out, just to get things started.

You need to get everybody off the streets! The natural reaction to a disaster seems to be for everyone to flee, jamming the streets with cars and crowds of people who are barely moving. These crowds are like fuel for the outbreak, allowing it to grow exponentially. They also make it impossible for police or the military to respond at the very time that a strong, targetted response would be the most effective.

So my first rule for the government response to an outbreak is to direct everyone to shelter in place. Go on television and radio and tell everyone into buildings and lock the doors. This won't stop the outbreak, I'm sure the "We're Alive" zombies would break into buildings to get at the occupants. But it would dramatically slow the rate of growth, and it might help to clear the streets.

"Body Removal Team"

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassPro Level Wiki EditorWA PointsTagger First Class25000 Experience PointsLOVED TO DEATHVeteran
    The city of Bristol, England, appears to be the first city to create an "official" zombie outbreak plan. Here's a link to the story http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/20...on?INTCMP=SRCH

It's a great read. I especially liked the zombie alert stages:

• Ambient zombie level – business as usual, but be on the lookout for telltale signs.

• Enhanced activity level – confirmed zombie attacks on the populous.

• Major outbreak – zombie infection level in excess of 1%, multiple sightings across the city.

• Zombie pandemic level – concentrated outbreak, with infection levels over 30%.

"Hoarder"

Status
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassWell LikedVeteran10000 Experience Points

PSN ID: HorrorHiro
    I hope for complete and total collapse of modern day governing in any Apocalyptic scenario. But maybe that's just me after all I am an Anti-Authoritarian and an Anarchist...

"Hoarder"

Status
    Achievements:

But if the government did anything I highly doubt they would give 2 shits about the average populace. I think they would gather all the "important" people as in politicians and their families, go to the most secure location possible and "hunker down" until an opportune time to potentially "rebuild" the fucked up systems of today sometime after civilization gains its foothold again (if it does.) I picture something along the lines of the Enclave from the Fallout series. If any of this was the case I would consider it my mission to kill each and every one of them and destroy any remnants of their existence. For the possible betterment of humanities future.
    Last edited by HorrorHiro; Jul 8th, 2011 at 10:50 AM.

"Builder"

Status
    Well every government should first have a book with big blue letters on the cover that say "Don't Panic!"

Honestly what probably would happen is that all the important people would go underground whilst at the same time military would mobilize immediately and attempt to quarantine the infected area's. My guess is that they would suggest all civilians to stay inside and lock their doors. If a city was infected enough, 40% or better they'd probably just bomb the city repeatedly until they could effectively go in and clear out the rest.

Evacution sites would be rooftops of tall buildings assuming it would take a while for a nom nom to get into a building that's been locked down let alone get all the way to the top.
    For a wounded man shall say to his assailant: if I live I will kill you, if I die you are forgiven Such is the rule of honor.

Ostentatious Legume

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassWiki AmateurWA PointsTagger Second ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Blog Entries

1. Panic
    2. Drop bombs sporadically
    3. ???
    4. Profit
    joint-point-counter-joint

"Builder"

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    Blogger5000 Experience PointsWell LikedVeteran
    Blog Entries
    The government would be the cause of the zombie pandemic. They would lie and pretend nothing happened.
    "To the great populous of [city or town name here] please watch this informative public service message about odd occurances"
    *government people get the **** out of dodge or into safe bunkers*
    *the populous turns around and realizes that all the things the government said werent that bad are at their doors or eating their backsides*
    *chaos*
    *population decrease*
    *survivors surviving*

"Body Removal Team"

Status
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by mem View Post
    The government would be the cause of the zombie pandemic. They would lie and pretend nothing happened.
    My second rule for the government response to an outbreak is to tell people the truth. If you know there are zombies chomping on the population you need to say as much. If the government lies about what's happening it loses its credibility and it cheats people of their best chance to survive.

"Hoarder"

Status
    Achievements:

So is this what you would want the/a government organization to do or what you think they would do? Because if you think that the government would actually care about the survival of the major populace, well no offense but that's some wishful ass thinking my friend...

Riley's Drinking Buddy

Status
    Achievements:
    Wiki Amateur10000 Experience PointsVeteranBeloved

Gamertag: HarKor1283
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabbage Patch View Post
    My second rule for the government response to an outbreak is to tell people the truth. If you know there are zombies chomping on the population you need to say as much. If the government lies about what's happening it loses its credibility and it cheats people of their best chance to survive.
    You are of course assuming that the government believes the truth. People have an incredible ability to go into deep denial when faced with situations they previously believed to be impossible. The higher ups would most likely follow several wrong tracks before admitting to themselves and the general population that yes we are indeed dealing with flesh eating zombies and not some form of mass hysteria, riots, or [insert your own ludicrous explanation here].
    "There a many ways to kill a zombie, but I find the most satisfying way is to stab it in the brain with a wooden stick." Dwight K. Schrute

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast