User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Moderator from the 10th Floor of the Tower

Status
    Blog Entries
    Blog Entries
    Possibly. You set traps in areas where there is proof of traffic. It obviously wasn't the first time someone fell in that hole. You can set a trap and hope someone or something falls into it and not have to be there to watch it.

Think about a mouse trap. You can set it and leave. BUT lets say you see the mouse in the kitchen and you know it has to get back to it's hole. So, you lie in wait, then once it's where you want it to be, you spring into action. One caught mouse or nearly caught mouse...

Having said that, Traps are different than an Ambush. Traps are a thing, while an ambush is an action. You can use traps during an ambush in the terms of an attack.

Ostentatious Legume

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassWiki AmateurWA PointsTagger Second ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Blog Entries

The question I pose to you is this:

Are the creatures merely reacting to stimuli or are they showing signs of intelligent thought, communication and problem solving skills?
    joint-point-counter-joint

Status
    Blog Entries
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris View Post
    The question I pose to you is this:

Are the creatures merely reacting to stimuli or are they showing signs of intelligent thought, communication and problem solving skills?
    It's clear indications of intelligence at work. You can't set an ambush without it nor be set up to observe the outcome. Any animal can set a trap (trap door spiders... spider webs... Venus fly traps..) but they can't set an ambush.
    Remember on both instances, there was a Smart One set up to observe the ambush and coordinate the attacks.

omnipresent

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassExtreme LoveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Blog Entries

Gamertag: t0dd i5 d3ad PSN ID: --- Steam ID: --- Wii Code: ---
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7575928/

Example of a breed of ants setting an ambush, yes its a bit of a stretch....and I'm a bit late with this one but hey...

Found it interesting nonetheless.

Status
    Blog Entries
    Blog Entries
    7odd,

Thanks for putting that link there. It reinforces my comment. It's a trap, not an "Ambush." The title is a bit misleading, cool read, but misleading.
    This is the same as a spider waiting in a web or hole.

I was talking about setting something up for a specific purpose or group. The attack on the tankers was done because they'd traveled up that road. They'd taken the time to clear it and those actions were observed. The creatures placed something to redirect the crew then sprung the ambush in a coordinated attack.
    In the classic "Art of War" lesson of setting the battlefield.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The ants, called Allomerus decemarticulatus, live in trees in the Amazon. Their trap is made of natural plant hairs, some regurgitated goo, and a binding fungus that the ants, amazingly, appear to farm. It allows the ants to snag a meal, such as a large flying insect, that they otherwise could not handle."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Funny how this is the second Ant/Zombie related thing. You could also say 3rd because they ref ants in the podcast too!

Again, thanks for the good read.

omnipresent

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassExtreme LoveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Blog Entries

Gamertag: t0dd i5 d3ad PSN ID: --- Steam ID: --- Wii Code: ---
    Crow
    I said it was a stretch...i agree with your assessment,it is more of a "trap"...but its also a trap we have seen used on datu..

iF you enjoyed that, think of any situation within the storyline....and Google it in reference to ants...ive yet to find something the w/a zombies do that doesn't somehow relate back to ant behavior...call it my "thing" if you will..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12