User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    We're Alive Sponsor

Status
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience PointsTagger First Class
    I would still think that our Govt. would be using what communications sytems that are still functional to get messages out.
    If anything, the "Powers That Be" love to let the public know that any and all situations are "under control" and there is nothing to worry about.
    If I remember correctly, The Tower had been monitoring t.v. transmissions. Right? Weren't cell phones working for a while too? The "developed" governments of the world have the ability to send out mass texts to the public via cell phones. I wonder why that hasn't happened. Maybe what authorities are left are too busy trying to survive. I just think that if a place like The Colony can exist then there is no reason that we can't assume that some of our government is left. Somewhere.
    We have it in our power to begin the world over again.

-Thomas Paine, Common Sense, 1776

"Hoarder"

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Tandem25 View Post
    I would still think that our Govt. would be using what communications sytems that are still functional to get messages out.
    If anything, the "Powers That Be" love to let the public know that any and all situations are "under control" and there is nothing to worry about.
    If I remember correctly, The Tower had been monitoring t.v. transmissions. Right? Weren't cell phones working for a while too? The "developed" governments of the world have the ability to send out mass texts to the public via cell phones. I wonder why that hasn't happened. Maybe what authorities are left are too busy trying to survive. I just think that if a place like The Colony can exist then there is no reason that we can't assume that some of our government is left. Somewhere.
    If I'm remembering correctly the power went out pretty fast, like within the first day. The Govt. wouldn't respond that quickly. Also with the radios and cell phones, the towers that broadcast to them are on the same power grid as the city and when that goes so does the ability to communicate to those areas. Now lets say that there are safe places outside the infected area, those people are going to have to be broadcasting on the same frequency and on roughly the same equipment that the intended recipeints are on and using. Chances are that that won't be the case. Also the Rockies are a huge barrier that will block those signals. Maybe the Govt. could try broadcasting on Sirius and XM. But with people using mobile internet devices (iPad's Cell phones Tablets and whatnot) to keep themselves entertained on the commute to work a signal reaching them is unlikely as the source of their connectivity is usually less than a mile away and once that dies so too dies the means to communicate and get that person a message. With all our fancy toys we are alot more valnerable when they go down. Gone are the days of land-line communication. If the shit hits the fan we're pretty much back to using morse code and smoke signals.

Now the other thing to consider, During the begining of the outbreak everyone and their mother will be taxing the hell out of the system using their cellphones and whatnot. Normally the system works because one tower can handle the normal limited ammount of texts and calls compared to the larger number of cellphones in it's range. A good example of this is when everyone jumps on the phone at 12:00:01 on Dec. 31st and you get dropped calls like a mofo. Or even if you try and use your phone during a concert or sporting event (like what happened to me this weekend at a U2 concert when I tried to text a picture).

Our communications systems are fragile and when the shit hits the fan we use redundant systems in the surounding areas. An example is New Orleans during Katrina. The radio broadcasts were comming from neighboring areas and from stations that ahd backup generators. But without govt. assistance those generators aren't going to last. That's why in the KCverse there was some bits of news about the outbreak but that died out as the infection spread.

I hope I'm not comming off gloom and doom here... Civilian systems of communication are more fragile to chaos than the govt. and military systems and since most civilians aren't owners of a SINCGARS or even a PRC-77 there isn't much of a way for the govt. to get a hold of you during a crisis on the scale that KC has developed.

"Body Removal Team"

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassPro Level Wiki EditorWA PointsTagger First Class25000 Experience PointsLOVED TO DEATHVeteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Leedo2502 View Post
    Maybe the Govt. could try broadcasting on Sirius and XM.
    Excellent point, I'd never considered satellite radio! Another way the government might be broadcasting into occupied territory is by long range radio, either shortwave or AM, which can be heard over-the-horizon when the sun's down. I know I used to listen to AM radio from LA when I was stationed at Fort Irwin, and it came in very clearly at night. No reason that wouldn't work in the opposite direction, assuming there is a sufficiently powerful transmitter and tall tower available.

Too bad The Tower isn't monitoring shortwave, AM or satellite radio.

"Fresh Meat"

Status
    Don't forget that in this situation, politicians might get involved... And that just means FUBAR all the way.

"Builder"

Status
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteranWell Liked
    Quote Originally Posted by HaveCrowBarWillTravel View Post
    Luna,

Did you just call my story stuuuupid?
    Yes, yes I did. I thought I was quite clear

Not the part where the security guard jumps the Governator mind you, just the end result
    Disclaimer!
    These are the ravings of an insane lunatic. Take nothing he/she/it says, does or looks like seriously

Wonderful story with an exciting ending

"Fresh Meat"

Status
    The way I really see this season ending is thusly.

They get to Fort Irwin.
    Covered in remaining army peeps.
    They get turned away for being carriers or something.

"Scavenger"

Status
    Yea I was thinkIng the same thing

Moderator from the 10th Floor of the Tower

Status
    Blog Entries
    Blog Entries
    Basically what will happen is that there will be no "Military" assistance other than the NG.

-If the political hierarchy is weakened, then even the NG my be delayed.
    - All active duty installations will be focused on keeping order internally instead of what's on the other side of the perimeter fence.
    - All military dependents will slowly make their way to an installation because their active duty members will be recalled and their dependent's safety has to be a priority or they won't be able to do their jobs

Land lines will still function as will Sat phones.

"Scavenger"

Status
    Hmmmm, Interesting theory but if it's based on Military units then who knows. I mean some units are better than others, You would see regular straight leg Infantry units called to do containment. Special Forces, I doubt you would see them. It would all depend on how fast the epidemic spread. Remember the Military in 28 Days Later? That's what I think would happen to the Military.

"Builder"

Status
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteranWell Liked
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo Team Leader View Post
    Special Forces, I doubt you would see them.
    Isn't that the point of SF in every case?
    Disclaimer!
    These are the ravings of an insane lunatic. Take nothing he/she/it says, does or looks like seriously

Wonderful story with an exciting ending

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast