User Tag List

Page 20 of 28 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast
    "Body Removal Team"

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassPro Level Wiki EditorWA PointsTagger First Class25000 Experience PointsLOVED TO DEATHVeteran
    I had a similar problem with a Colt Series 80 Combat Government 45 Auto. It worked perfectly with Colt brand magazines, but had constant problems with stovepipes with any other brand of magazine. A trip to the gunsmith, some modifications to the magazine well and the feed ramp and it has worked fine ever since.

"Researcher"

Status
    Achievements:
    High Level WikiVeteran10000 Experience Points

Gamertag: Novus Bellator
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabbage Patch View Post
    I had a similar problem with a Colt Series 80 Combat Government 45 Auto. It worked perfectly with Colt brand magazines, but had constant problems with stovepipes with any other brand of magazine. A trip to the gunsmith, some modifications to the magazine well and the feed ramp and it has worked fine ever since.
    Interesting. I was hoping it wasn't something as simple as the wrong type of my magazine. The gunsmith is a good and trusted one. Hopefully he notices that he needs to file down the little bump near the hammer left by the new extractor my father installed. I hope to post photos of the pistols I own later this weekend.
    There is no spoon. - Neo

Gatherer of Degrees

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassTagger First ClassWiki AmateurVeteranWell Liked10000 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by HaveCrowBarWillTravel View Post
    HB..
    Buy a Mossin Nagant. Kentucky Gun Co has them going for 80 bucks!! 7.62 bolt action for dat A..!
    Most def safer for you with kids around due to the training involved to simply rack a round. Much easier to secure and harder for a knuckle headed kid to hid in their coat and take to school or sit on the bed trying to peer down the barrel.

So, what's exactly are the safety issues or restrictions you have?
    Are the kids old enough to attend classes or hit the range with you?
    Crowbar,

Two of my kids are old enough to go to the range and/or attend classes. The problem comes in with one being autistic. That coupled with she sometimes gets picked on, we're hedging our bets on keeping a gun out of the house for now. And the pellet gun (rifle, whatever) I have stashed in the garage doesn't count; that's a snake/vermit killer.

I know about gun cabinets and gun locks, but between the above and having to move every couple of years, I'd rather wait until I'm finally settled down in one place, permanently, before I get something. In the meantime, I have several knives (a Pakistani SSG survival knife or 4, some WWII British bayonets, and a Navy survival knife somewhere) and if all Hades breaks loose right in front of my computer room, a West Point sword mounted on a wall, but within easy reach of an above average height adult to grab.

I had my hands on 7 Russian AK bayonets while I was overseas, but at the time, they were not allowed back into the states with me. Really bites, because when the restriction on those finally lifted, I found I had to barter a lot more to try and get one. By that point, though, it was moot to me.

I'll probably ask the wife about the Mossin, though.
    "I have better things to do tonight than die."
    -Springer (while loading a mortar shell)

"Gatherer"

Status
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience PointsWell Liked
    Quote Originally Posted by ericcartman View Post
    Pistols: pair of Glock 17 with 33rd mags. 2 Glocks in case one breaks or malfunctions I'll have a backup and 9mm so ammo should be easy to find.
    Update: I saw in a catalog today, they now have 100rd drum mags for 9mm Glocks, so instead of the 33rd mags I'm going with the 100rd drums.

Moderator from the 10th Floor of the Tower

Status
    Blog Entries
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ericcartman View Post
    Update: I saw in a catalog today, they now have 100rd drum mags for 9mm Glocks, so instead of the 33rd mags I'm going with the 100rd drums.
    100 round drum for a handgun?? Defeats the purpose doesn't it? How much would 100 rounds of .9 mm weigh? would you be able to hold it up long enough to do any good?

Moderator from the 10th Floor of the Tower

Status
    Blog Entries
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellbringer View Post
    Crowbar,

Two of my kids are old enough to go to the range and/or attend classes. The problem comes in with one being autistic. That coupled with she sometimes gets picked on, we're hedging our bets on keeping a gun out of the house for now. And the pellet gun (rifle, whatever) I have stashed in the garage doesn't count; that's a snake/vermit killer.

I know about gun cabinets and gun locks, but between the above and having to move every couple of years, I'd rather wait until I'm finally settled down in one place, permanently, before I get something. In the meantime, I have several knives (a Pakistani SSG survival knife or 4, some WWII British bayonets, and a Navy survival knife somewhere) and if all Hades breaks loose right in front of my computer room, a West Point sword mounted on a wall, but within easy reach of an above average height adult to grab.

I had my hands on 7 Russian AK bayonets while I was overseas, but at the time, they were not allowed back into the states with me. Really bites, because when the restriction on those finally lifted, I found I had to barter a lot more to try and get one. By that point, though, it was moot to me.

I'll probably ask the wife about the Mossin, though.

Hey bro,
    thanks from explaining your situation. Fully understand now. Do what's right for your fam.

"Expelled From The Tower"

Status
    Blog Entries
    Blog Entries
    100 round drum for a handgun?? Defeats the purpose doesn't it? How much would 100 rounds of .9 mm weigh? would you be able to hold it up long enough to do any good?
    get a bipod for it.

"Body Removal Team"

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassPro Level Wiki EditorWA PointsTagger First Class25000 Experience PointsLOVED TO DEATHVeteran
    Quote Originally Posted by reaper239 View Post
    get a bipod for it.
    While you're add it, how about a shoulder stock, an extended barrel for those long shots, a vehicle mount, maybe some sort of stabilization system for firing on the move...

You end up with something a little like this: imagesCAJR74B2.jpg

Gatherer of Degrees

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassTagger First ClassWiki AmateurVeteranWell Liked10000 Experience Points
    Hey bro,
    thanks from explaining your situation. Fully understand now. Do what's right for your fam.
    I appreciate all the points you guys brought out. And for understanding where I'm coming from. Having guns in the house is a subject not to be taken lightly, ever. I will definitely keep your discussions in my mind when we finally find the right time to have one in the home.
    "I have better things to do tonight than die."
    -Springer (while loading a mortar shell)

"Gatherer"

Status
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience PointsWell Liked
    That's a good question. I will admit that the coolness factor of a 100rd drum overrode the thought of practicality.
    Some quick online window shopping shows the shipping weight of 100rd 9mm (Hornady Zombie-Max) as 3.124 lbs. A Glock 17 (unloaded) weight is 22.22 oz. Not counting the mag, which I couldn't find the weight for, we're at just over 4.5 lbs. So, fully loaded with 100rds would probably be around 5 lbs vs 2 lbs for a loaded Glock with 17rds. Heavy, but not really unbearable.

Quote Originally Posted by Cabbage Patch View Post
    While you're add it, how about a shoulder stock, an extended barrel for those long shots, a vehicle mount, maybe some sort of stabilization system for firing on the move...

You end up with something a little like this: imagesCAJR74B2.jpg
    I'll just keep it simple with this: NAKPOS17.jpg Although I wouldn't buy that now since I don't want to go through all the ATF red-tape to legally use one of those.

Page 20 of 28 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast