User Tag List

Afterlife of the party

Status
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsPro Level Wiki EditorTagger First ClassVeteran

PSN ID: jobe_tr Steam ID: jobe_tr

Find an old playlist

I was scrubbing my personal folder a couple days ago, and found an (semi) old playlist I made for a burned cd. It was an awesome trip down memory lane. I think it would be awesome if you could find an old playlist/burned cd, and post your trip down memory lane.

Here is my playlist
    (Club)
    Hey Champ - Neverest (VIDEO SEMI NSFW)
    Groove Cutter - My Shooter
    Somethingalamode - 5AM
    Static Revenger - I Like That
    Foreign Beggars - Contact
    (Rock/Alt)
    Thousand Foot Krutch - Heat Miser
    Atreyu - Bleeding Mascara
    He Is Legend - I Am Hollywood
    Demon Hunter - Collapsing
    Flyleaf - Treasure
    Fireflight - Star Of The Show
    Interest Relief - The Vine
    (Pop)
    Rick Astley - Lights Out
    Airplanes - B.o.B.
    3Oh!3 - My First Kiss
    (Hip Hop)
    Savage - Let Me See Your Hips Swing
    Tyga - Diamond Life
    Last edited by j0be; Jun 7th, 2011 at 06:35 AM. Reason: notes
    It's pronounced: johb
    Find me elsewhere: Reddit - j0be | PSN - jobe_tr | T - @jobe_tr | Facebook

Gatherer of Degrees

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassTagger First ClassWiki AmateurVeteranWell Liked10000 Experience Points
    I actually have a playlist for each duty station I've been at. This one is from my days at Fort Hood (1993-1996)

The Hustle by Van McCoy

We were in the field one day, and working on some parts in the back of the tool truck when Dre and I heard what started off as a good melody on the radio. We commented on how the beat sounded cool and how it would turn out to be a great song. And then we heard "Do the Hustle!" It seems the Radio DJ mixed the beginning of an unknown song with the Hustle.

Because the Night by 10000 Maniacs

I remember catching the video for this song on MTV for over a month straight in my barracks room.

TNT by AC/DC

I used to blast AC/DC out of my car all the time. TNT just made me feel like the world moved slower and watched me as I drove by.

All That She Wants by Ace of Base

My roommate Wilk and I would argue about which female singer looked better whenever this video would play.

You Oughta Know by Alanis Morisette

When she burst on the scene everyone in the barracks oogled the TV when the video was on. Then when publicity pictures came out, everyone went back to other women.

Bad Company by Bad Company

A country sounding song that wasn't done by a country group. I didn't care for country sounding music back then, but something about this song always stuck with me.

Loser by Beck

The guys in the barracks loved this great alternative song. There was definitely something about hearing this song at that time.

Crossroads by Bone Thugs N Harmony

Sad song that just sticks with you.

First of the Month by Bone Thugs N Harmony

I can still hear Mario singing the same line over and over "It's the first of the month..."

More Than A Feeling by Boston

I heard Boston songs for years, but never really knew who sang the songs until a former MTV VJ started hosting late night commercials selling classic rock CDs. This song in particular was sampled about every thirty seconds. I can still see the pictures they used when this song plays. Every five seconds worth.

Fortunate Son by CCR

Forrest Gump came out and a bunch of songs started forming memories in my mind because of it. Every time I hear this song now, I see Huey helicopters flying over palm trees; that, and the patch for the 9th Infantry Division.

Low by Cracker

Two guys lived in the barracks by the sound "low." One spelled "Low" and the other spelled "Lowe." I can picture these two whenever I hear this song.

I'm Going to Disneyland by Dada

One of the first Alternative songs I ever heard. Simple lyrics, so it's easy to remember.

Mother by Danzig

Heavy Metal from a finer time. The first time I heard this song, it was on the concert video being shown on MTV. All of us on the floor in the barracks rocked to this song. I saw Danzig in concert a few months later. The song hit me so hard, that at the Defense Language Institute, I ended up translating the lyrics into Persian-Farsi.

New Age Girl by Dead Eye Dick

I remember Karen saying how funny the song was, especially the line "she don't eat meat, but she sure like the bone."

Come Undone by Duran Duran

Wilkinson used to listen to the newer Duran Duran songs and this one in particular was played quite a bit.

Hey Man Nice Shot by Filter

I was coming home to my little apartment one day when the radio DJ was complaining about a comment from Hillary Clinton about gun control. The DJ was pissed so he dedicated this song to her.

Here Comes the Hotsteppa by Ini Kamoze

I was out at the National Training Center playing the bad guys (OPFOR) for a rotation when we had a free night and headed down to the enlisted club. Upon entering, we heard this song, and we never heard it before. One of the guys asked a local how long the song had been out, and he replied "we've been playing it for months." To this day, I don't believe him, but this song will always remind me of the fun times I had playing a post cold war pseudo-russian refugee fighting back the invading imperial dogs.

The Lumberjack by Jackyl

I never heard of Jackyl until I got to Fort Hood. Jackyl was played quite a bit, and this song in particular had a classic feel to it.

Fantasy by Mariah Carey

Long before she had nervous breakdowns, Mariah released her Fantasy. Wilkinson absolutely loved her, and this song had a nice video to help out.

Sick of Myself by Matthew Sweet

I used to listen to Matthew Sweet in my senior year of high school, so I was thrilled to hear that he was continuing songs. However, I didn't hear good things about his albums until he released "100un." The first song I heard was this, and I blasted it out of my car for weeks.

I Would Do Anything For Love by Meatloaf

Wow, this song would spark debates whenever the guys in the barracks would try to figure out what Meatloaf would not do for love. That, and the woman in the video was hot.

Head Like a Hole by Nine Inch Nails

A couple of big music fans, Tom and Janzcek, would play quite a bit of NIN in the barracks. Head Like a Hole was one of the more predominant ones to be heard. Reminds me of some times in El Paso when I had a four day pass (96 hours for some of you folks).

Gotta Keep Them Separated by The Offspring

Punk music started coming back into the scene at the time, and groups like Green Day and the Offspring made major headway in the music business then. I used to hear this song on the radio while working in the motor pool, and after a while, I bought the tape to play in my car, and also in the motor pool.

How Bizarre by OMC

Some things in this song still don't make sense to me, but it has such a feel good beat to it.

Paranoid by Ozzy Osborne

Before I left Fort Hood, Ozzy Osborne held a retirement tour, and was giving away tickets to soldiers for free. One of my friends stood in line for the whole team so we could get go to the concert. Ozzy opened his act with this song.

Peaches by the Presidents of the United States of America

One of the guys at Primary Leadership Development Course (PLDC) insisted on turning this song into a marching cadence.

Runaway by Real McCoy

A dance song that got a lot of airplay on the radios. Every time I hear this song, I think of the set up I used to have in my Saturn. Nothing fancy, but it did make windows shake.

Thunderkiss 65 by White Zombie

The heavy metal sound that sampled movie clips. This song also had some heavy play time on my car stereo.

Children of the Grave by Rob Zombie

There was a tribute album to Black Sabbath and it featured a lot of heavy hitters from the heavy metal/hard rock scene. Rob Zombie's version gave a heavy, deeper feel than all of the other songs.

Alien Nation by Scorpions

This was the first Scorpions tape I bought after I joined the Army.

All I Wanna Do by Sheryl Crow

The first modern folk singer that I liked. My room used to watch her videos all the time.

Cry Little Sister by Sisters of Mercy

The main song from "The Lost Boys." I bought the soundtrack and played it one day in the motor pool. Dre liked the song so much, that he wanted it recorded on a tape at least 5 times for himself.

I Remember You by Skid Row

Kellogg would play this song a lot whenever we rode in his car.

Shame by Stabbing Westward

The family had a re-union in Albuquerque, New Mexico, and those "21 and under" moved about in my car. Of course, there were only three of us, Megan, Charlie, and myself. Megan wasn't sure what to make of me at first, since I was 7 years older, but when I started playing songs like this, everything went cool.

Sex Type Thing by Stone Temple Pilots

One of the first songs I heard out in the field. Phil played this song the first time I went out there.

Whoop, There It Is by Tag Team

After finishing a unit run at one of the first Physical Training (PT) at Fort Hood with my unit, the cadence caller broke out with this song and everyone picked up their step. Trying to sing to this, to boot.

Killing Me Softly by The Fugees

Amber, James, and I were in a theater when we started re-enacting segments of the song's video.

Don't Take the Girl by Tim McGraw I remember Dre singing this song a lot in the hangar while we would work on Bradleys. There was something about this song that stuck to him, and he would laugh and be amazed with regards to this song and it being played on the radio. Dre loved going around saying, or singing "Johnny's daddy... is taking him fishin'."

Sober by Tool

Another song that we would watch in the barracks, but we would comment on how cool the video looked, and how it was so different.

Cats in the Cradle by Ugly Kid Joe

A remake by a distinct sounding band. Every time I hear this song, I can see the lead singer screaming.

Seether by Veruca Salt

Another song I would blast from my car. Just one of those that gets stuck in your head, too.

The Yellow Rose of Texas by the Boston Pops Orchestra

I heard this melody every time we stood in a formation or parade in front of Division Headquarters. I can still see the horses moving in front of us when the commander inspecting us troops. I can also see the Cav Detachment charging across the field, shooting their rifles and pistols in the air... with their donkey and dog in tow.
    "I have better things to do tonight than die."
    -Springer (while loading a mortar shell)

Gatherer of Degrees

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassTagger First ClassWiki AmateurVeteranWell Liked10000 Experience Points
    I have several more lists to add if you're interested. As the years get closer to the present, the descriptions as to why they are on the playlist give more detail.

Riley's Drinking Buddy

Status
    Achievements:
    Wiki Amateur10000 Experience PointsVeteranBeloved

Gamertag: HarKor1283
    This ones about 6 or 7 years old but still give me a smile, a bit of an evil smile, but a smile nonetheless.
    Blasphemy Mix:
    Tool - Eulogy
    A Perfect Circle - Judith
    Otep - Sacrilege
    Nothingface - Here Come the Butchers
    Tool - Opiate
    "There a many ways to kill a zombie, but I find the most satisfying way is to stab it in the brain with a wooden stick." Dwight K. Schrute

Moderator from the 10th Floor of the Tower

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellbringer View Post
    I have several more lists to add if you're interested. As the years get closer to the present, the descriptions as to why they are on the playlist give more detail.
    Yes man! That was an awesome read, and you listen to some good songs too! Hey Man Nice Shot is still on my main playlist and you had Tool!
    Do you understand what I'm talking about? Have you ever felt like that? When you just couldn't feel anything and you didn't want to either.

Moderator from the 10th Floor of the Tower

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by HardKor View Post
    This ones about 6 or 7 years old but still give me a smile, a bit of an evil smile, but a smile nonetheless.
    Blasphemy Mix:
    Tool - Eulogy
    A Perfect Circle - Judith
    Otep - Sacrilege
    Nothingface - Here Come the Butchers
    Tool - Opiate
    Wow. Just looked at your post as well. I'm guessing you were a Maynard James Keenan fan? A Perfect Circle used to by my favourite band, and A Thirteenth Step by them is still one of my favourite CD's.
    Do you understand what I'm talking about? Have you ever felt like that? When you just couldn't feel anything and you didn't want to either.

Gatherer of Degrees

Status
    Achievements:
    Presidio of Monterey - The Farsi Years: 1996-1997

This one isn't as lengthy as my first post because I only stayed in California for a year. It's interesting to see what music I listened to or was played around me in the last almost 20 years...

Connection by Elastica

I used to play this song going to or from Alvarado St in Monterey.

Come On (Ride the Train) by 69 Boys

Amanda had a fellow Arabic student who showed up to class singing lines from this song.

Head Over Heels by Alanis Morisette

One day, Amanda and I heard this song on the radio and she told me that it reminded her of me.

Mandi by Barry Manilow

For obvious reasons, this song needs no explanation.

Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy by The Andrew Sisters

I had attended military balls in the past, but the Army Birthday Ball hosted by the unit at the Defense Language Institute was amazing. At most balls, skits get performed, but the segment honoring those who served in World War Two went above and beyond all my expectations, with their rendition of this song.

The Rose by Bette Midler

Amanda walked down the aisle to this song.

Amazing Grace (Bagpipe rendition)

Every time I hear this version, I think of fallen comrades. The first, though, was a Green Beret who committed suicide after fighting with his girlfriend over the phone.

I Want You to Want Me by Cheap Trick

We watched Howard Stern's movie, Private Parts, in the barracks, and I loved the music from it, all classic rock. This song was on the soundtrack, and I really wanted to translate it into Persian-Farsi for my language project. But the grammar and lyrics did not work well for translation, so I went with Danzig's Mother instead.

1,2,3,4 (sumthin new) by Coolio

A song that would get you in the mood to go to the clubs.

Smoke on the Water by Deep Purple

I was on a huge Classic Rock kick when I first showed up in Monterey, and this song helped me remember the Farsi word for Smoke. Also, whenever I saw the fog rolling about in Monterey Bay, this song came to mind.

A Change of Seasons by Dream Theater

I discovered Dream Theater's sound as I getting ready to move to Monterey. When I got there, I bought their latest CD and played this 20 minute song almost every day for 3 months. It's hard to find places to drive for 20 minutes in Monterey, so it's a good thing that this song has several distinct segments.

December, 1963 (Oh What a Night) by the Four Seasons

Amanda told me a story about a guy in college who got her out of a bad situation, and the next time she saw him, this song was playing. I've always tried to measure up to this guy because of what he did for her.

Guilty by Gravity Kills

When I broke my ankle in Monterey, I was in a cast, and Rachel offered to drive me around everywhere in my car. She had a particular liking for this song, so it was played quite a bit when she drove.

What is Love by Haddaway

I can see how this song was chosen for the Saturday Night Live skit dealing with two club goers. I heard this song a lot at McGarrett's.

Do You Miss Me by Jocelyn Enriquez

Amanda told me that she used to sing this song in a college band.

Tubthumping by Chumbawumba

Amanda and I were traveling through Denver on our move to the D.C. region. A parody of this song played, and we died laughing hearing it. Also, the song is a great pick me up with its repeated lines of "I get knocked down! But I get up again, you're never gonna keep me down." That and it references "Danny Boy" the song played at my grandfather's funeral.

Only the Young by Journey

It always seemed that Randy would have a good night going out with us whenever I would play a Journey song before we left. This song is the first song on their Greatest Hits album.

DJ Girl by Katalina

Sometimes for lunch, Jaimee, Christine, and I used to go to McDonalds for lunch. They heard this song and their reaction has been etched in my mind since then.

Macarena by Los Del Rio

Back when this song was new, everyone danced to it. One of the first times I heard this song at McGarrett's, the girl I was dating at the time couldn't wait to line dance to this number.

Hair of the Dog by Nazareth

Again, this was part of that huge Classic Rock kick I was going through, but with song, I remember driving around Asilomar Beach blaring this particular tune.

Spider Webs by No Doubt

Ska was getting big in 1996 and it couldn't be any bigger than in the state it orginated from, California. This song was played quite a bit during barracks parties.

The Sunny Side of the Street by the Pogues

Randy introduced me to Celtic Punk music and I couldn't get enough of the Pogues. I later bought their greatest hits album and this is the first song on it.

Higher Ground by Red Hot Chili Peppers

For some reason I picture driving up Franklin Blvd every time I hear this song.

Sunny Came Home by Shawn Colvin

Nikki sang this song once.

All For You by Sister Hazel

I was giving one of my classmates, Erica, a ride home from downtown Monterey and when song played on the radio, she commented on how much she liked it.

Wrong Way by Sublime

Jason and I were having discussion one day outside the barracks about Ska music and this song came up. He mentioned how messed up the lyrics were.

Semi-Charmed Life by Third Eye Blind

A local band played this song at McGarrett's and the thing that stuck out was the guitarist playing parts of the song with his teeth.

We Like to Party by the Venga Boys

The first time I heard this song I was standing around Doc. With this song playing, he demonstrated how clubbers in Seoul danced, and his movements reminded me of the "Wax On, Wax Off" scene from the Karate Kid.

Blister in the Sun by Violent Femmes

The older crowd really got into this song when it played at the Mucky Duck, our favourite pub.

One Headlight by the Wallflowers

Randy told me once how this song reminded him of Monterey, and not in a good way.

How Do I Live by Leann Rhimes

Our wedding song.

Gatherer of Degrees

Status
    Achievements:
    hmmmm...

Fort Meade: 1998-2000

Rooster by Alice in Chains

I was a Platoon Sergeant at the time, and in charge of 53 others. One day, I passed out the platoons Alert Roster to the guys, however, I sent it out as a "Platoon Rooster," and it took me a while to realize what I did. In fact, one of my soldiers pointed it out to me. Well, a couple of my soldiers would start singing the chorus of this song whenever they saw me.

Alice by Alice

One of the first songs that I ever downloaded. Alice was a Canadian indy group that released songs on www.mp3.com when it was free to download songs with no strings attached.

Never Ever by All Saints

Scott was on a deployment to Bosnia (or Kosovo, I can never get the two areas straight), and asked me what I wanted from the local market. Well, I had just heard of this song sung by this British band (this fatuation with British bands becomes a recurring thing later in life) and I didn't want to pay 20 bucks for a CD that might disappoint. So he found a copy for a buck and shipped it back to me.

Barbie Girl by Aqua

A bubblegum song that received a parody in the form of "Farsi Girl."

One Week by Barenaked Ladies

Amanda said that there are parts of this song that remind her of me.

Jump, Jive, and Wail by the Brian Setzer Ochestra

Swing dancing was making a major comeback, and at my unit, we were trying to come up with ideas for fundraisers. Well, Cindy suggested using a song like this and having a swing competition. Unfortunately, a certain captain's wife vehemently shot that idea down (most likely because it wasnt HER idea).

Higher by Creed

One of the guys who was in the same class as me at the Basic Non-Commissioned Officer Course (BNCOC) who going through a rough patch with his wife. Somehow, whenever he talked about his wife, this song was playing in the background.

Pour Some Sugar On Me by Def Lepard

I was fortunate enough to participate in the Worldwide Language Olympics in 1999. My partner was a huge Def Lepard fan. So much so, that he purchased one of their CDs to play in our rental car, even though he already owned the CD back in Maryland.

Party Up (Up In Here) by DMX

There was a team in the platoon that went by the name "The African Mafia." The younger members of the team used parts of this song whenever we talked about having a farewell luncheon, organizational day, or any other activity that would result in time off from work.

Blue by Eiffel 65

One of my BNCOC classmates would get drunk at the club, and whenever she heard this song, she would get excited and grab the nearest guy and drag him to the dance floor.

Fire Escape by Fastball

I had an opportunity to do an intermediate language immersion (read college language class) in Austin, Texas (my favorite city). Fastball was getting a lot of airplay on the radio, but around the country the main song would be "The Way." Except in Austin, home of Fastball. Almost all the stations played "Fire Escape" instead.

Stupid Girl by Garbage

The guy I was replacing at Fort Meade loved this band.

Waiting for Tonight by Jennifer Lopez

I remember seeing the video in my townhouse on post. She didn't seem crazy or out there back then.

Steal My Sunshine by LEN

One day, a hard rock station played this song. And they were dead serious when they played it too. I think the music coordinator realized his mistake as I never heard the song on that station again.

Sexual Healing by Marvin Gaye

Jeff came back from a deployment and told us how this song was played what seemed like every 15 minutes in all the nightclubs he went to.

Round Off a Tank by Mystikal

I heard about this song at BNCOC when No-No asked me what a 12B was. It's a Combat Engineer in case youre wondering.

Torn by Natalie Imbruglia

Amy used to complain about this song, especially about how dumb some of the lyrics were.

Pretty Fly by the Offspring

There was an Army function that I was not able to attend. However, a member of the African Mafia went and when he walked in, he announced that he looked "pretty fly." Everyone's immediate response was "For A White Guy." Yeah, he heard that one for a good several months.

Everyday Is a Winding Road by Sheryl Crow

For some reason, I didn't see the video until we got to Fort Meade. Sheryl Crow still didn't make much sense from most of her previous works, but the beat was catchy.

Fly by Sugar Ray

This song just reminds me of Fort Meade in general.

Boss of Me by They Might Be Giants

The Theme Song of Malcolm In the Middle. Of course, Amanda didn't care for the show, but I like the song.

"Scavenger"

Status
    Istanbul. Even old New York was once New Amsterdam.

Gatherer of Degrees

Status
    Achievements:
    Presidio of Monterey - The Arabic Years: 2000-2001

Habibi by Amr Diab

An Arabic song that Amanda remembered from her time in Arabic Class. This song has a easy to understand chorus after being in class for a couple of weeks.

Maria by Blondie

Blondie was making a comeback and I used to play this song a lot on the way to the Presidio, since it had a feel good beat.

Dont Leave Me This Way by Thelma Houston

For some reason, I was really getting into Disco music on my drives to and from class. I consider this the best Disco song ever.

Let the Bodies Hit the Floor by Drowning Pool

Played this a lot after September 11th.

Wonderful by Everclear

Amanda and I heard this song and we didn't ever want to be like the lead singer's parents.

Praise You by Fatboy Slim

There was a show that starred Brooke Shields by the name of Suddenly Susan, and Amanda and I used to watch it when it aired. Well, one of the actors, David Strickland, committed suicide back in March 1999, and it changed the show. When we got to Monterey, NBC started to play a tribute to him by using this song.

American Bad Ass by Kid Rock

When the USS Cole pulled out of Yemen after being bombed, the crew put this song on the loud speaker, as a show of defiance to those who were responsible for the bombing. At least, that's how the story goes. Either way, this song still gives me goose bumps when I hear it and think about the USS Cole.

I Want You to Want Me by Letters to Cleo

Fitting that a cover of a song I like be released while I was back out in Monterey.

Don't Say That You Love Me by M2M

Pokemon 2000 came out, and I took Brie to see it. This song reminds me of Brie watching the show on the TV and in the theater, even though it was on the first movies soundtrack.

Jungle Love by Morris Day and the Time

Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back. Kevin Smith is the man!

Salinas Grammar (Parody of County Grammar by Nelly)

When a popular song comes out, what do radio stations do? They make parodies of that song and incorporate it into a skit. This song, started off as a joke, explaining what all there was in Salinas and surrounding areas. However, people, myself included, started to request this song through that radio station. It was nice to hear that song, and remember all the locations it talks about.

Angel by Shaggy

The first time Amanda and I heard this song, we were traveling through Carmel (by-the-sea), and this song played. We listened closely, and to this day, cannot figure out why a woman would stay with a man through his incarceration.

It Wasn't Me by Shaggy

Normally, when a singer or group puts out music, only one song reminds me of something per time per duty station. However, this one stands out, because the first couple times, Amanda and I thought that Shaggy's singing partner was a girl.

6 Underground by Sneaker Pimps

Amanda heard this song and it has a sombering feel to it.

She's So High by Tal Bachman

When I first heard this song, I thought Matthew Sweet was the singer, or least heavily involved in the song making process.

Rock the Casbah by The Clash

We learned in Arabic that a casbah is a castle or desert fortress.

We're Not Gonna Take It by Twisted Sister

Another song for September 11th. Later, after I would come back from Iraq, I used this song to show off pictures I took over there.

Heroes by the Wallflowers

This was one of those songs I wanted to translate into Arabic.

The Overture of 1812 by Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky

Sometime I would be in the mood for some classical music. If I played this masterpiece from my house or from school, it would last until I got to my destination.