User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    "Scavenger"

Status
    Great episode Brit and Greg! Cool having Raith on for some Angel lovin'. I am an Angel fan as well (and a Shane Salk fan). I'm not as crazy as Raith is... I prefer michael in charge. Angel is great on missions. Some of the shining moments were like when Angel insists on going to the Arena. Though I was kind of curious he didn't make more of an effort to find Michael, it all worked out in the end.

I think my only complaint is that the show SOMETIMES over analyzes the story just a tad, but it's great. I like having these guests on. I especially like NickVoodoo on the show. Sometimes they guests bring a different opinion that really gets my mind rolling on the story. Again, great episode! I enjoy listening to these at work. Makes the day go by faster.

Moderator from the 10th Floor of the Tower

Status
    Blog Entries
    Blog Entries
    Ra1th is 19! woah!

"Lurker"

Status
    I would just like to note my disappointment with the silencer, suppressor, whatever you want to call it. It was the typical silencer used in movies and stuff. While this is all well and good, apparently, it is not accurate. Silencers aren't as effective as we have been led to believe. Breaking Bad actually got the correct sound right from what I've read.

Dadmin

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First Class50000 Experience PointsPro Level Wiki EditorVeteran
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Coolluck View Post
    I would just like to note my disappointment with the silencer, suppressor, whatever you want to call it. It was the typical silencer used in movies and stuff. While this is all well and good, apparently, it is not accurate. Silencers aren't as effective as we have been led to believe. Breaking Bad actually got the correct sound right from what I've read.
    You are correct. That suppressor SFX heard in in 22-1 is not accurate to real life. Mythbusters recently covered the difference between Movie Suppressor SFX vs. the Real Sound. They discovered that while not exactly similar, the suppressor cuts the decibel level of a .45 caliber pistol from 161 db down to 126 db. Their conclusion was the typical movie sound effect is "Plausible" to real life in terms of its ability to suppress the sound of a shot fired from a gun, but it wasn't spot on which is why they didn't confirm it. (http://mythbustersresults.com/blow-your-own-sail)

The video you posted sounds similar to the shots Adam and Jamie fired in the episode, though they were in a firing range so it's hard to tell because the sound heard on TV was so echo-y. But it certainly doesn't sound like the familiar high pitched woosh sound we're all accustomed to hearing. Depending on the stat set you want to look at, the suppressed shot's decibel level (126db) is either just at, or just below the threshold where permanent damage is done to your hearing even with brief exposure. That is most certainly not represented by the "woosh" movie sound.

I won't speak for Kc or any of his editors/sound designers, however the main reason to use the familiar sound is just that: it's familiar. Especially not being able to see the weapon in question, it behooves creators and designers of audio dramas to use the sound most closely associated to it in popular culture. You strive to tell a clear story and sometimes you need to cheat reality. Breaking Bad has the advantage of visuals to support their sound track. We in the audience can see the suppressor on the end of the gun and will excuse the lack of typical SFX because we can see the gun in action and there's not a question as to what's happening on screen.
    ~Ra1th: Nik doesn't sleep, he waits.~
    ~TCM Revolver: ra1th needs to be on the look out for cars that appear to be moved recently, and nikvoodoo on the rooftops
    Voodoo Lounge Here!! Twitter: Follow Me, Follow WA Follow WND

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12