User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    "Maintenance Team"

Status
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsPro Level Wiki EditorVeteranBeloved

Things That Are Like a Zombie Virus

I'm reading The Secret Apocalypse and it's another zombie virus plague idea where the--in this story--dead bite in order to spread the disease.

So, I've been playing a couple of games on facebook that while playable for free (I never use real money for game goods), are designed be addictive. Their aim is to get you to spend real money for game currency--and gain access to you and your friends personal information--so they can sell it and make money. This money is used to support the making of more games etc.

I realized that the games aren't just addictive, they're like a Zombie Virus. They get you to keep playing by hijacking your body's mechanisms--the addictive cycle and social instincts--to work against your own self interests. They cause you to infect others when you get your friends to play too so that they'll give you stuff for the game. The best ones don't kill the host--or the money cow. They can't be totally unplayable without spending real money. They have to be enjoyable enough to keep you playing. They represent a new mutation of the gambling virus.

It got me thinking, what else besides addictions are like the zombie virus? Dogs that are cute so you post pictures which make others want cute dogs? I can haz zombie?
    SKITTLES?

"Scavenger"

Status
    Well you have the actual toxoplasmosa parasite that could theoretically count like a zombie. Then there's pyramid schemes.
    Oh, and then there's mad cow disease in humans...crazy stuff...

"Scavenger"

Status
    Not trying to double post, but... did you guys know the CDC (center for disease control, an actual government agency) has a page on preparing for a zombie apocalypse?

Blogger from the 9th Floor of the Tower

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassTagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsWell LikedVeteran
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ZombieMama View Post
    Not trying to double post, but... did you guys know the CDC (center for disease control, an actual government agency) has a page on preparing for a zombie apocalypse?
    Are you kidding? Girl! can you give me a link?
    Fruity Oaty Bar Jingle: Fruity Oaty Bars! Make a man out of a mouse! Fruity Oaty Bars! Make you bust out of your blouse! Eat them all the time! Let them blow your mind... ohh! Fruity Oaty Bars!
    "Burn it to the ground. My only regret would be not being able to burn it a second time." Osiris, on how the world should burn.

"Scavenger"

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by yarri View Post
    Are you kidding? Girl! can you give me a link?
    it's so recent, I wouldn't be surprised if the writer listens to WA!
    http://emergency.cdc.gov/socialmedia/zombies_blog.asp

"Builder"

Status
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteranWell Liked
    I remember seeing that a while ago. It's good that the governments of the world are taking the threat of zombies seriously :P

I don't know if alcohol would qualify, but it does reduce peoples' intelligence and makes some more violent. It also makes coherent speech nigh impossible, so maybe it should
    Disclaimer!
    These are the ravings of an insane lunatic. Take nothing he/she/it says, does or looks like seriously

Wonderful story with an exciting ending

"Scavenger"

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Luna Guardian View Post
    I remember seeing that a while ago. It's good that the governments of the world are taking the threat of zombies seriously :P

I don't know if alcohol would qualify, but it does reduce peoples' intelligence and makes some more violent. It also makes coherent speech nigh impossible, so maybe it should
    i once read an article that said that "Under the influence, a drunk 'backseat driver' is just as dangerous as a drunk driver". Considering that, then yes.
    What about cigarettes? I hear now the FDA (i think) is even considering the harm of 3rd hand smoke. That is, smoke that penetrates through clothing or remains in areas smoked in is also harmful to people that never smoke.

"Maintenance Team"

Status
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsPro Level Wiki EditorVeteranBeloved
    Ooooo! All good ideas! Let's see, so to be a proper pseudozombie virus, it has to be:
    zom Bad for you
    zom Bad for Society
    zom Makes changes in you or your behavior that are for its benefit
    zom Decreases self awareness

Laurie Anderson says language is a virus...
    SKITTLES?

Ostentatious Legume

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassWiki AmateurWA PointsTagger Second ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Blog Entries

And the author of this book is?
    joint-point-counter-joint

Afterlife of the party

Status
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsPro Level Wiki EditorTagger First ClassVeteran

PSN ID: jobe_tr Steam ID: jobe_tr
    Quote Originally Posted by Eviebae View Post
    zom Bad for you
    zom Bad for Society
    zom Makes changes in you or your behavior that are for its benefit
    zom Decreases self awareness
    Ok. Well I heard recently about a horrible drug that is sweeping across the poorer regions of Russia called 'krokodil'. (Crocodile).
    It's basically a homemade heroin, but it starts decomposing the flesh near the injection site. Looks almost like how body parts look like after leprosy.

I would say that it's almost zombie like, because these people know it's killing them, but they are still doing it.

If you want to see the disturbing article regarding this drug, here's the link.
    [LINK] (The video in the article is very graphic)
    Last edited by j0be; Jun 30th, 2011 at 06:09 AM.
    It's pronounced: johb
    Find me elsewhere: Reddit - j0be | PSN - jobe_tr | T - @jobe_tr | Facebook

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast