User Tag List

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    Afterlife of the party

Status
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsPro Level Wiki EditorTagger First ClassVeteran

PSN ID: jobe_tr Steam ID: jobe_tr
    Quote Originally Posted by HaveCrowBarWillTravel View Post
    I'm still having trouble finding an American made helo large enough (that isn't a Chinook) to transport 20 plus people, one dog, one cat, all of Burt's weapons/Ammo, 2 or 3 pallets of MREs, tools, misc equipment and whatever water and clothes they bring.
    They could rig a pallet under the bird or birds but the newbie pilot wouldn't know how to compensate for the weight shifting during flight.
    Or they might leave the MRE pallets in favor of finding ones at Ft. Irwin.
    It's pronounced: johb
    Find me elsewhere: Reddit - j0be | PSN - jobe_tr | T - @jobe_tr | Facebook

"Lurker"

Status
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

PSN ID: Pao0113415
    After listening to this Episode I get the feeling that Kalani knows what happened at the airport because he said he did have a crash landing after coming in from Hawaii after zombies invaded Hawaii. I also think that it might be possible that the planes from Hawaii could have had a zombie aboard bringing in the zombies. But I don't exactly remember if that was before or after the LA invasion so I don't know just a thought.

Afterlife of the party

Status
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsPro Level Wiki EditorTagger First ClassVeteran

PSN ID: jobe_tr Steam ID: jobe_tr
    Quote Originally Posted by Paola View Post
    After listening to this Episode I get the feeling that Kalani knows what happened at the airport because he said he did have a crash landing after coming in from Hawaii after zombies invaded Hawaii. I also think that it might be possible that the planes from Hawaii could have had a zombie aboard bringing in the zombies. But I don't exactly remember if that was before or after the LA invasion so I don't know just a thought.
    I think a crash landing at an airport (especially post 9/11) would hit the news before rioters in downtown.
    It's pronounced: johb
    Find me elsewhere: Reddit - j0be | PSN - jobe_tr | T - @jobe_tr | Facebook

"Hoarder"

Status

I'm still having trouble finding an American made helo large enough (that isn't a Chinook) to transport 20 plus people, one dog, one cat, all of Burt's weapons/Ammo, 2 or 3 pallets of MREs, tools, misc equipment and whatever water and clothes they bring.
    They could rig a pallet under the bird or birds but the newbie pilot wouldn't know how to compensate for the weight shifting during flight.
    Does the Chinook carry more than the MH-53? I've been on the Chinook and we struggled to get one platoon on one with all our gear (30ish dudes) and we had the seats out so we were on the floor. I thought that the MH-53 could hold over 50 combat troops.

"Gatherer"

Status
    I'd assume that they would be leaving a lot of stuff behind when they fly out and simply taking what was absolutely essential.

"Hoarder"

Status

Quote Originally Posted by j0be View Post
    Or they might leave the MRE pallets in favor of finding ones at Ft. Irwin.
    I was thinking about that too, adding some drama if they find that the food at Irwin was raided.

If I was in the tower I'd send out a party to check on the conditions at Ft. Irwin before burning my bridges and leaving the tower, congested roads be damned

"Gatherer"

Status
    They aren't going to have the time. The Z's are going to go ballistic: no human is going to be safe in LA. They are going to have to make a quick fire decision on whether they leave or stay and fight

Moderator from the 10th Floor of the Tower

Status
    Blog Entries
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Leedo2502 View Post
    Does the Chinook carry more than the MH-53? I've been on the Chinook and we struggled to get one platoon on one with all our gear (30ish dudes) and we had the seats out so we were on the floor. I thought that the MH-53 could hold over 50 combat troops.
    Data from Boeing CH-47D/F,[85] Army Chinook file,[86] International Directory[87]

General characteristics

Crew: 3 (pilot, copilot, flight engineer)
    Capacity:

33–55 troops or
    24 litters and 3 attendants or
    28,000 lb (12,700 kg) cargo
    Length: 98 ft 10 in (30.1 m)
    Rotor diameter: 60 ft 0 in (18.3 m)
    Height: 18 ft 11 in (5.7 m)
    Disc area: 5,600 ft2 (2,800 ft2 per rotor disc) (260 m2)
    Empty weight: 23,400 lb (10,185 kg)
    Loaded weight: 26,680 lb (12,100 kg)

Civilians aren't going to be weighed down with gear like we are when we're in transport. They'll have a weapon, a bag or two and the clothes on their backs. Everything else will go as cargo. I'm assuming the numbers are less than 25 because Burt has the count as "20 plus" instead of 25 plus..blah, blah, blah.
    With the weight this thing can carry i'll say it'll fit.

The two birds fit roughly the same amount of people but the Chinook is 10 feet longer, but the MH-53 has a heavier lift capacity. Seems to me that they'll both work.

Data from USAF MH-53J/M,[3] International Directory,[11] Vectorsite[12]

General characteristics

Crew: 6 (two pilots, two flight engineers and two aerial gunners)
    Capacity: 37 troops (55 in alternate configuration)
    Length: 88 ft (28 m)
    Rotor diameter: 72 ft (21.9 m)
    Height: 25 ft (7.6 m)
    Empty weight: 32,000 lb (14,515 kg)
    Max takeoff weight: 46,000 lb (50,000 lb in war time) (21,000 kg)
    Powerplant: 2× T64-GE-100 turboshaft, 4,330 shp (3,230 kW) each
    Rotor system: 6 blades
    Performance

Maximum speed: 170 knots (196 mph, 315 km/h)
    Cruise speed: 150 kt (173 mph, 278 km/h)
    Range: 600 nmi (1,100 km) can be extended with in-flight refueling
    Service ceiling: 16,000 ft (4,900 m)

Moderator from the 10th Floor of the Tower

Status
    Blog Entries
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Leedo2502 View Post
    I was thinking about that too, adding some drama if they find that the food at Irwin was raided.

If I was in the tower I'd send out a party to check on the conditions at Ft. Irwin before burning my bridges and leaving the tower, congested roads be damned
    Who in their right mind would leave behind food and water in the HOPE there would be some later??? That's a sure fire way of dying real slow like. That's how dummies end up not surviving survivable situations. Piss poor planning.
    Leedo, they talked about a scouting party.. but they have the helo fuel problem remember? It's too far to drive roundtrip and there's no way to communicate if they had the fuel for a one way trip via car. The Prius was probably the only thing in the motor pool that would have been able to make the trip. IF, it was feasible.
    Would you send a troop out on point without communication?

"Hoarder"

Status

The two birds fit roughly the same amount of people but the Chinook is 10 feet longer, but the MH-53 has a heavier lift capacity. Seems to me that they'll both work.
    Good info! I've never been in a MH-53 and was a little shocked that they have roughly the same passenger capacity. When we were in the Chinook we were also loaded down for 2 weeks of steady operations so that might have had something to do with it LOL. The big point sticks to my crackpot theory is that the USCG doesn't have either bird in their inventories (unless there is a dramatic license being taken) and just has me going "hmm?"

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast