User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: WA: The Comic?

Ostentatious Legume

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassWiki AmateurWA PointsTagger Second ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cPT.cAPSLOCK View Post
    I won't hammer away, because it's an interesting topic we're discussing, but I definitely do not agree. And I don't really like to accusation of having lack of faith - I just think they should stick to what they're best at.
    Just because there are quite some differences between comic books and audio dramas, I doubt they'll be just as good.

We praise Kc a lot for the excellent story so far. The current quality is exceptionally high.
    Now, let's look at what actualles makes it so high, and how that'd work out in a comic specifically:

• Storyline progression & character development - Would probably be just as good
    • Dialogues / conversations - Much less emotion than a real voice, but the graphics (visuals like smiles, tears, wounds, etc) could compensate a bit
    • Surprising moments in general - Really depends on what happens, but dynamic sound will beat static images in many situations.
    • Fast-paced action scenes - Would be slowed down a lot in comic-format
    • Unexpected or 'unknown' sounds & (sounds of) what's happening in the background - No way to properly do this in a comic

Obviously, it's impossible to be fully objective about this. IF there would be a comic, it would probably be okay-ish, but it won't get close to the excellence of the podcast.
    All very valid points, and it seems as though you've dropped yourself into a stalemate of pro/con if you consider 'cliffhanger events' being on the page turn to raise tension (common in comics), the unknown sounds and sounds of what is happening in the background are simply replaced with a visual of what's transpiring in the background, or the unknown being shown as opposed to heard i.e. oh hey what's that shadow way back on that rooftop (I'll argue this to be just as effective as a noise in the distance as you either catch it with your ear, you catch it with your eye or you miss it the first time around completely).

I'm trying to be as objective as I can be about it, being a fan of the show and a fan of comics I could see a crossover of sorts working out very effectively. I think there's room in the Verse for both formats. Incidentally, I think there may even be more room/time/space for character development and story progression simply due to the format. You can pack a tub-load of text on to a page when it isn't being timed for a 15 minute episode. Just an assumption but I would figure that one page of the script they work off of is close to a minute or running time, much like in film.... sound effects, dramatic pauses, music cues. I could be off on that, again why it is merely an assumption.

All of this is really making me crave a comic less and a novel more.
    joint-point-counter-joint

"Maintenance Team"

Status
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsPro Level Wiki EditorVeteranBeloved
    Quote Originally Posted by nikvoodoo View Post
    Seems to me this topic has followed a fairly logical progression from one post to the next. We all seem to be responding to each others points despite it getting off topic from the original thought. But that's what happens here. Almost every one of our threads meanders from one place to another at times.
    It just seemed like a cranky conversation that was going around in circles.
    SKITTLES?

Ostentatious Legume

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassWiki AmateurWA PointsTagger Second ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eviebae View Post
    It just seemed like a cranky conversation that was going around in circles.

Well aren't you the helpful, happy little yard gnome!

"Maintenance Team"

Status
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsPro Level Wiki EditorVeteranBeloved
    Quote Originally Posted by Satan View Post
    Well aren't you the helpful, happy little yard gnome!
    That's MRS. Helpful, happy little yard gnome to you Mr. Cranky boots!
    SKITTLES?

Ostentatious Legume

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eviebae View Post
    That's MRS. Helpful, happy little yard gnome to you Mr. Cranky boots!

Wow. You must still be in high school. Let's not spend too much time flinging insults. If you've nothing left to add to the conversation other than 'Oh this is just going in circles' feel free to see your way out. But please, continue to just be base.

Presidential Feline

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    VeteranBlogger10000 Experience PointsWiki AmateurTagger First Class
    Blog Entries

Gamertag: ObamaCat PSN ID: ObamaCat Steam ID: ObamaCat
    Alright let's break it up you two. Eviebae is merely trying to diffuse the tension (props to you for doing so ).

I think you have a great idea Satan, and I'd love to see how it would play out. Do I think KC and Shane should be the ones behind the production? Probably not, perhaps in the writing department, but I think they stick to what they do best, blowing our socks off in audio format.

Ostentatious Legume

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ObamaCat View Post
    Alright let's break it up you two. Eviebae is merely trying to diffuse the tension (props to you for doing so ).

I think you have a great idea Satan, and I'd love to see how it would play out. Do I think KC and Shane should be the ones behind the production? Probably not, perhaps in the writing department, but I think they stick to what they do best, blowing our socks off in audio format.
    Which begs the question: Is this truly the format that best fits their skills? They've already put their collective hands into every other format out there? It's hard to sit back and say 'yeah this is what they do best, stick to it.' It's really just pigeon holing them. Hey this is what we like you for, just keep doing that. If everyone had that attitude toward life we never would have made it to the moon, gained democracy or crawled out of the oceans onto dry land. Creative minds need to be challenged and limits need to be pushed every way they can or they grow stagnant.

At any time this can stop being about 'I don't like that idea because I like them how they are' and start being about 'hey, you know what would be cool to see?'

Presidential Feline

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    VeteranBlogger10000 Experience PointsWiki AmateurTagger First Class
    Blog Entries

Gamertag: ObamaCat PSN ID: ObamaCat Steam ID: ObamaCat
    Which begs the question: Is this truly the format that best fits their skills? They've already put their collective hands into every other format out there? It's hard to sit back and say 'yeah this is what they do best, stick to it.' It's really just pigeon holing them. Hey this is what we like you for, just keep doing that. If everyone had that attitude toward life we never would have made it to the moon, gained democracy or crawled out of the oceans onto dry land. Creative minds need to be challenged and limits need to be pushed every way they can or they grow stagnant.

At any time this can stop being about 'I don't like that idea because I like them how they are' and start being about 'hey, you know what would be cool to see?'
    Well KC and Shane specifically chose the audio format for a reason: They thought it would be the best way to convey the story and that audio had a certain 'magic' element that other formats don't offer. But you can always chat KC up and see what he thinks about expanding to other mediums.

Blogger from the 9th Floor of the Tower

Status
    Achievements:
    BloggerPro Level Wiki EditorTagger Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points

Didn't Kc do some film stuff? I though he was good at that too. what stops them from being good at comics, also?
    <----- Click to see what D.A.R.T is doing for you.

Ostentatious Legume

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ObamaCat View Post
    Well KC and Shane specifically chose the audio format for a reason: They thought it would be the best way to convey the story and that audio had a certain 'magic' element that other formats don't offer. But you can always chat KC up and see what he thinks about expanding to other mediums.
    It also makes it relatively unique as far as bringing back a dead/dying medium while taking advantage of the podcast phenom. Really it is a smart move as far as becoming a cornerstone. There's a million and a half zombie comic books out there, but the majority of them lack good story telling or compelling characters.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast