User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Afterlife of the party

Status
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsPro Level Wiki EditorTagger First ClassVeteran

PSN ID: jobe_tr Steam ID: jobe_tr
    Quote Originally Posted by cycogod View Post
    Modded boot loader? that is serious. What did u mod it with. I'm running cyanogenmod 7 on droid 1. Gonna update soon.
    Several nice tweaks, but I really do love the animation I stocked it with. (I know you get to see my phone number with this, but it won't be picked up by bots).

Here's the animation
    It's pronounced: johb
    Find me elsewhere: Reddit - j0be | PSN - jobe_tr | T - @jobe_tr | Facebook

"Builder"

Status
    Blog Entries
    Blog Entries
    Android ...
    ... offers you power, 'tweakability', and all the downsides that come with it. Because of all the different models (both very slow and very fast phones running the same apps), the user experience varies a LOT - and is far from optimal, except on the high-end phones, where it's decent. If you're willing to spend the time, you can get Android Exactly the way you want it, but especially to non-powerusers that can be hard.

Pros
    -Lot's of (both paid and free) apps,
    -Full control over your phone (customization, UI, etc. Though will require quite a few hours if you have specific wishes).

Cons:
    -User experience
    -Quality of apps, games

The iPhone
    I myself am no fan of the iPhone, but "it just works". Don't expect to have a lot to choose though: for example, the homescreen is rather useless. Just a grid with icons, some displaying a counter for new items. That's it. Still, the app store simply is the largest one available. Pretty much everything is available.

Pros:
    -Higher quality of apps than android
    -"Just Works"

Cons:
    -No widgets and the likes on homescreen (things like weather, traffic info, agenda, and so forth - all require opening their respective apps first).

The Alternative
    I know you asked for a comparison of those two, but still I'd like to toss in an alternative: Microsoft has completely reset their mobile platform.
    None of the complaints about the old (and crappy) Windows Mobile have ANYTHING to do with the new Windows Phone 7. WP7 has been built from the ground-up as replacement (instead of an update) of the old.
    I've been using Windows Phone 7 for a few months now, and it's almost the perfect mix between Android and the iPhone.

The quality of apps is very high on WP7, and the marketplace is growing quickly. Pretty much all the big names are there already. Microsoft has set strict hardware requirements, so WP7 does not suffer from fragmentation like android does. In the meantime, developers get a much better SDK than those on the iPhone (leading to faster and better app and game development in WP7's favor). Also, WP7 gives you more customizability than the iPhone: WP7 has widgets (called 'live tiles'), and you can make some more changes like having a light or dark theme, and choosing a so-called 'accent color'.

Also, things get done much quicker on WP7 because the use of hubs:
    For example, on the iPhone, you could open the camera app and take a picture. Then, you head for the home screen, and then look for the app to add some nice effects. Then, you visit the homescreen again to open facebook and upload the picture.

On WP7, you can take the picture, choose 'extras' in the menu and - tada - it instantly shows all apps you've got to edit pictures with. Once saved, you open the menu again and click upload to Facebook. Done.
    There are many more examples where the hubs work great.

In my experience WP7 is smooth, fast, the apps are great, and this fall the OS is getting a literally massive update already.

Quoted from Gizmodo's review of the platform, When the platform had just released:
    Windows Phone 7 is really great. A solid foundation, it's elegant and joyful. True, a lot of that greatness is potential. But if anybody can follow through on their platform, it's Microsoft. Should you buy this instead of an iPhone or Android phone though? In six months, after the ecosystem has filled out, the answer will be more clear. But right now, Window Phone is definitely an option. Considering where Microsoft was just a year ago, that's saying a hell of a lot.
    Well, those six months are over, and the platform has proven to be excellent.

I really hope you can give WP7 some thought, because I made the jump and and I'm really really happy I did.
    On AT&T, I'd recommend the Samsung Focus (the SAMOLED screen is just gorgeous) or whatever HTC they got. The LG phones have kind of shabby build quality.

If you're planning on doing some more research, there are good reviews on Engadget, Pocketnow, and Gizmodo (two techblogs and one smarthphone-oriented one). When reading those, keep in mind that the platform already had the 'NoDo' update adding features like copy & paste, performance improvements and bug fixes. In case you want more information about the update this fall, search for 'Mango'.

Pros
    -User experience,
    -Customizability
    -Intergration (hubs, but also with facebook, skydrive, etc.),
    -High quality apps
    -Gorgeous UI
    -It just works
    -Almost every app has a free trial available, (often fully-functional with an advertisement).

Cons
    -Relatively new, thus smaller marketplace (currently over 15,000, big names like Bank of America, iMDB, netflix, ... all available).
    -No multitasking yet (will become available trough the Mango update this fall).

Conclusion
    If you think you'll be a Power-user, go Android.
    If you're more of a 'casual' user, go Windows Phone 7
    Otherwise (if you're an Apple fanboy? ;) Really can't think of anything else to choose it over wp7 ) go iPhone.

Moderator from the 10th Floor of the Tower

Status
    Blog Entries
    Blog Entries

Gamertag: Lake IX
    Quote Originally Posted by j0be View Post
    Several nice tweaks, but I really do love the animation I stocked it with. (I know you get to see my phone number with this, but it won't be picked up by bots).

Here's the animation
    LOL this is so full of win! I like how your head just kinda pops up
    Angel's #1 Fan

Moderator from the 10th Floor of the Tower

Status
    Blog Entries
    Blog Entries

Gamertag: Lake IX
    Quote Originally Posted by cPT.cAPSLOCK View Post
    Conclusion

Otherwise (if you're an Apple fanboy? Really can't think of anything else to choose it over wp7 ) go iPhone.
    Or if you want a really kickass pair of headphones for FREE!
    Angel's #1 Fan

Afterlife of the party

Status
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsPro Level Wiki EditorTagger First ClassVeteran

PSN ID: jobe_tr Steam ID: jobe_tr
    Quote Originally Posted by Walrusgus View Post
    As far as I know there are no great apps that aren't on iPhone that are Android.
    Here's an awesome app in the Android Market that isn't in the Apple Store.
    Dildroid
    It's pronounced: johb
    Find me elsewhere: Reddit - j0be | PSN - jobe_tr | T - @jobe_tr | Facebook

Wait...What??

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First Class10000 Experience PointsPro Level Wiki EditorWell LikedVeteran
    Blog Entries

Raptr ID: WTF is a Raptr??
    Well the jury is in...I bought the iPhone 4 16gb and LOVE IT! Thanks guys for your input.

...sent from my iphone

We're Alive Sponsor

Status
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class5000 Experience PointsVeteranWell Liked

Gamertag: smalls kenobi Steam ID: smallskenobi
    Quote Originally Posted by cycogod View Post
    but what about easy to use buttons and lifealert? Jitterbug it's a new sexyness
    i agree, the Jitterbug is revolutionary.

but if you're going to go android i suggest going the HTC route. I'm in love with how they attack the Android OS and HTC Sence is very user friendly. Although HTC is notorious for poor batterey life, they know how to make a damn good phone. the main thing i love about Android is the marketplace, it isnt as strict as the Apple App Store, there are plenty of apps to costumize your phone in many was that doesn't void your warranty. you can download launchers that almost completely change the way your phone works and looks one launcher i use is called LiveHome you can find videos on youtube about that and other launchers. if you love music then there are also apps to download free music dirrectly from your phone. android also has widgets, which is cool. but yeah, the Android Marketplace has manny apps that are free, have more options(mainly because developers have more freedom with adding more features that apple just straight up doesnt allow), and are just more convenient. That said, Apple does have some pretty cool games. but really, the only games i need on my phone are Robot Unicorn Attack(already on my Droid) and Techno Kitten Adventre(Coming Next Month) and i'm a happy camper
    In fearful day, in raging night,
    With strong hearts full, our souls ignite,
    When all seems lost in the War of Light,
    Look to the stars-- For hope burns bright!

"Lurker"

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernenn View Post
    Only Android. It's much simpler to use and it has more flexibility

I do agree with you. Droids forever!

"Lurker"

Status
    I'll never use anything but android phones. I got used to them very much

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123