User Tag List

"Scavenger"

Status

Another Zombie game codenamed Class3

Came across this today while brosing the Internet. Honestly this sound like it could be a really good game. XBLA release as well. So download only. Nothing confirmed about PS3.

In Class3, humanity has been wiped out, and the last few survivors of the zombie apocalypse need to band together to survive. The player takes control of one of these survivors and guides the rest in figuring out where to set up their settlement, when and where to raid for supplies, and how to fortify their encampment. The world changes in real-time based on what the player does.

"Undead Labs is thrilled to work directly with Microsoft to bring Xbox 360 players an outstanding zombie-survival franchise," said Jeff Strain, founder of Undead Labs. "Our mission is to create original online games that truly feel at home on the console platform, and Xbox 360 is a fantastic platform for online console gaming. We plan to create an ambitious open world XBLA game and use its gameplay, setting, and technology as the foundation for a full online world game."

What's being described is slightly different than what I envisioned when Undead Labs formed back in 2009. In 2009 ArenaNet co-founder and now Undead Labs founder Jeff Strain said they were going to build an MMOz - a massively multiplayer online zombie game - for consoles. It was the best idea for a new MMO I'd heard in ages. A full-fledged online zombie survival game is still in the works, however, and Class3's technology will be used as its foundation.

So this isn't an MMO, but it's still better than a simple zombie shooter. There'll still be guns and gore, of course, but there'll be much more than that in store when Class3 comes calling on Xbox Live Arcade.

"We are proud to collaborate with Undead Labs on the creation of a new game for Xbox 360," said Matt Booty, general manager at Microsoft Game Studios. "The Undead Labs team has a successful track record making innovative online games, and we are excited to support them as they bring their experience and talent to Xbox LIVE."
    Source

Concept Art for the game
    Last edited by I The K Train I; Feb 8th, 2011 at 05:59 AM.

"Smart One"

Status
    Yeah, I've heard about this! It's been in the pipeline a while. I really like that they're focusing on the survival side of things rather than just the zombie bashing.

Jeff Strain used to be lead programmer on World of Warcraft. Fun fact.

Got some more info on the Xbox exclusivity front, if you're interested:
    Eurogamer interview.
    I don't keep it loaded, son. You'll have to find ammo as you go.

"Scavenger"

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by SleepyGlenn View Post
    Yeah, I've heard about this! It's been in the pipeline a while. I really like that they're focusing on the survival side of things rather than just the zombie bashing.

Jeff Strain used to be lead programmer on World of Warcraft. Fun fact.

Got some more info on the Xbox exclusivity front, if you're interested:
    Eurogamer interview.
    Sweet as buddy! Just heard about it today while I was browsing around in work. I really like the idea around it and I've been waiting for a Zombie game that doesn't jsut put you behind a gun and blow them away. Something that reguires stratagy and yet not be an an actual RTS style game.

I didn't know that your man was lead programmer on WOW. That would make sense then. There is a lot of talk about Class4 also. There are saying that one will be an MMO.

Head the link you posted too. Nothing till after Christmas 2011. Shame really Should make it all the better though
    Last edited by I The K Train I; Feb 8th, 2011 at 07:14 AM.

We're Alive Sponsor

Status
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points
    Heard about this game on the IGN Game Scoop Podcast, sounds very interesting, but it also sounds like a XBLA exclusive. Hope it comes out on PSN.

"Smart One"

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by I The K Train I View Post
    Sweet as buddy! Just heard about it today while I was browsing around in work. I really like the idea around it and I've been waiting for a Zombie game that doesn't jsut put you behind a gun and blow them away. Something that reguires stratagy and yet not be an an actual RTS style game.

I didn't know that your man was lead programmer on WOW. That would make sense then. There is a lot of talk about Class4 also. There are saying that one will be an MMO.

Head the link you posted too. Nothing till after Christmas 2011. Shame really Should make it all the better though
    Yeah I've heard rumblings about it for a while (I know too much about the gaming industry I fear!) but this is the first time we've had any concrete plans! I think now Microsoft are on board and seemingly really enthusiastic about the game, things will move along quickly. Like you say, it's fun that they added the strategic element to a zombie game. Hopefully there'll be some room for some good co-op action with friends too!

You're right, Class3 they're saying is an "online world game" and Class4 will be a traditional MMO. What the difference is will remain to be seen! Maybe we'll hear more at E3 this year!
    Last edited by SleepyGlenn; Feb 8th, 2011 at 09:51 AM. Reason: Note to self: be better at typing.

"Scavenger"

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by SleepyGlenn View Post
    You're right, Class3 they're saying is an "online world game" and Class4 will be a traditional MMO. What the difference is will remain to be seen! Maybe we'll hear more at E3 this year!
    I would say Class3 will be an open world co-op game probably 4 player max something like Borderlands. Class4 will probably be along the lines of WOW seeing as it's your man from WOW doing it. I hope something is said at E3. I hope a lot is said at E3. E3 is gonna rock as always.

War, War Never Changes.

Status
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsHigh Level WikiTagger Second ClassVeteran

Gamertag: ii st4rs ii
    Needless to say that im excited for this game.

"Smart One"

Status
    Actually guys I forgot that GDC is in a few weeks. I know some of Undead Lab's staff have spoken there previously. Who knows, they might have something more to say about the game! Smaller developers seem to prefer it to E3 because they don't get swamped by the bigger titles.

"Gatherer"

Status
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Ruined for me since a 360 exclusive. Guess I'll wait on Dead State.