User Tag List

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones

Philly Phanatic Zombie

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
    I just watched the microsoft E3 press conference and am going to start watching this now

"Gatherer"

Status
    Achievements:
    Well Liked5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Season 2 won't disappoint. Was an epic final 2 episodes imho. I won't reveal any spoilers I guess. Perhaps someone can make a GoT Spoiler thread or in the future I'll preceed my comments with a spoiler alert

Tower Librarian

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    Wiki AmateurTagger Second ClassBloggerExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Blog Entries
    Hi Guys,

I was going to start a "Game of Thrones" thread, but saw there were already several so I'm reviving this older thread instead. Being a fantasy enthusiast in general (most recently with Joe Abercrombie's First Law series), I have known about the reputation of George R.R. Martin and the Song of Fire and Ice series, but have avoided it until now because I generally don't like to read a series that isn't finished (I'm doing enough waiting around for the final installment with We're Alive; I don't need to do it in my reading as well).

But recently I had some time available and decided, "Screw it." I'm currently about halfway through Game of Thrones, which I am enjoying. I have purposely avoided any spoilers so I have no knowledge of what happens later in the plot, but it mainly strikes me as a political thriller blown through a fantasy lens. I also know that HBO has a series based on the book series, which I also haven't seen because I don't have HBO and always choose to read the book before the movie/tv upon which it is based.

Quick question for those of you who have been watching Game of Thrones on HBO:
    1. Does it follow closely with the plot of the books, or does it take liberties?
    2. Does it follow the chronology of the books, or does it re-arrange events for television?
    3. It is worth watching?

I'm not sure yet whether I should start on the TV series, so anyone that can give me some input would be appreciated in the form of a Lit-REP.
    Oh, and no spoilers, please.
    Last edited by Litmaster; Apr 21st, 2013 at 06:13 AM.
    We're back Alive again for WA Descendants!!

"Gatherer"

Status
    Achievements:
    Lit,

I am sorry to take a full year to respond. I have not read the books, I am as they say "Unsullied". My girlfriend however, has read all of the books. She loves the books (hates the wait for R.R. Martin).

Have asked all the questions you had and I will answer them on her behalf.
    1. Season 1 and 2 may as well had the Books as their scripts. It is almost Word for Word by the book.
    2. It does follow the chronology, which becomes rather tricky with books 4 + 5, even book 3 as Dany Targaryen's story pretty much comes to a hault. Not a spoiler, Martin just focus' more on other story lines. He writes word for word, meaning if he's wrapped up in one story line that is where he spends most of his time. Ever the more present with books 4+5.
    3.YES! YES! Why are you still reading this? YES! Simply the best show on television bar none.

Shall we continue this thread for us *Unsullied* or shall we make a new thread for Show watchers only ? I am so Amped for sunday, picking up the new Game of Thrones Beer after work today.

"Gatherer"

Status
    Achievements:
    1 year registeredWell Liked5000 Experience Points
    1) It tries to follow the books and it does a decent job but it can't put everything into the series so it does cut and change some, but not in critical areas.
    2) Yes it does follow the chronology for the most part but sometimes it will move things around so that Dany has something to do or Arya. But nothing negatively reflects the story.
    3) OH HELL YES! Best TV on television. Great acting. Fabulous scenery and directing. The books come to life with joy.

Winter is coming! Fire and Blood!

PS I only buy HBO for the 3 months of GOT each year.

And if you want to talk books - I am so there

WA Convoy Comms Officer

Status
    Achievements:
    Tagger First Class10000 Experience PointsHigh Level WikiExtreme Love1 year registered

Quote Originally Posted by Elisa View Post
    And if you want to talk books - I am so there
    I'm still super excited for the release of Winds of Winter; Dance With Dragons ended on too many cliffhangers!

Winds of Winter is Coming. Soon hopefully
    Likes Elisa liked this post
    WA Finale Convoy Communications Officer

Catch me on the twitters @tonyhind86
    WA Finale Convoy twitter: @WA_Convoy
    WA Finale Convoy Google+ ID: 04452049929039180220
    WA Finale Convoy Youtube:
    http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH96IN3Atmjukmy8XzQDQWQ

Updater of the Wiki

Status
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassPro Level Wiki EditorLOVED TO DEATH25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Gamertag: G00er PSN ID: Gooergaming Steam ID: Gooergaming
    Monday: going to be a good day. Game of thrones returns AND We're Alive. What could be better?

WA Convoy Comms Officer

Status
    Achievements:
    Tagger First Class10000 Experience PointsHigh Level WikiExtreme Love1 year registered

Mondays are going to be double exciting for the next 10 weeks
    WA Finale Convoy Communications Officer

Catch me on the twitters @tonyhind86
    WA Finale Convoy twitter: @WA_Convoy
    WA Finale Convoy Google+ ID: 04452049929039180220
    WA Finale Convoy Youtube:
    http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH96IN3Atmjukmy8XzQDQWQ

"Gatherer"

Status
    Achievements:
    My girlfriend was not happy with the episode last night. But she was expecting something big to happen. Said it was all filler. But I rather enjoyed it. Reintroduced us viewers to the cast and the story lines.

I'm very curious as to what Littlefinger's reception was like up at the Vale. I'm liking Arya and the Hounds future of destruction. And really excited to see who Oberlyn kills first. Tywin or Joffery. He's for sure in town to skin a cat. Please let me know if you are going to talk book with a Spoiler tag or something!

Updater of the Wiki

Status
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassPro Level Wiki EditorLOVED TO DEATH25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Gamertag: G00er PSN ID: Gooergaming Steam ID: Gooergaming
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullethead View Post
    My girlfriend was not happy with the episode last night. But she was expecting something big to happen. Said it was all filler. But I rather enjoyed it. Reintroduced us viewers to the cast and the story lines.

I'm very curious as to what Littlefinger's reception was like up at the Vale. I'm liking Arya and the Hounds future of destruction. And really excited to see who Oberlyn kills first. Tywin or Joffery. He's for sure in town to skin a cat. Please let me know if you are going to talk book with a Spoiler tag or something!
    Heh, you're going to be one of those people that doesn't expect what will actually happen.... *huehuehue*.......

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast