User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Blogger from the 9th Floor of the Tower

Status
    Blog Entries
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nikvoodoo View Post
    With the small amount of people alive that would use toilets the streets aren't going to be over flowing anytime soon. I will definitely agree that the system is likely to fail pretty quickly. I am also considering how deep underground sewage lines are in NYC and how much "empty" space is below them because of subways. I always felt that if NYC were to be rapidly depopulated in a similar manner, the sewer pipes would break and then fill up the subway system. So that's why I think the streets wouldn't over flow.

I honestly don't know what the LA underground is like. I assume there's some manner of subway system yes? Correct me if I'm wrong, I've never gone further west than Arizona.
    Yes, the Metro runs under downtown LA.
    A We're Alive Blog For the Serial Overanalyzer ->> The Spoiler's Reveiw <<- Spoiling You One Chapter at a Time. Updates every new episode!

Dadmin

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First Class50000 Experience PointsPro Level Wiki EditorVeteran
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lectio View Post
    Come to think of it, nobody's had a dental problem yet, either. But what do you do when you've got a toothache or a broken tooth...and no dentist?
    Well you better find yourself a pair of pliers or if it comes down to it...get yourself to a hockey pro shop and get a figure skate and go full on Cast Away on your face. Toothache is easy to cure, infections in the mouth can spread to the sinuses and then into your brain and kill you. That would be a kick in the teeth if you pardon the expression.
    ~Ra1th: Nik doesn't sleep, he waits.~
    ~TCM Revolver: ra1th needs to be on the look out for cars that appear to be moved recently, and nikvoodoo on the rooftops
    Voodoo Lounge Here!! Twitter: Follow Me, Follow WA Follow WND

Wait...What??

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First Class10000 Experience PointsPro Level Wiki EditorWell LikedVeteran
    Blog Entries

Raptr ID: WTF is a Raptr??
    Quote Originally Posted by lectio View Post
    With the waste issue, I suspect tower survivors would probably burn the solid waste and use sewers for liquid. They must surely be using a common latrine by now, since water can't be wasted to clear a toilet.
    Wouldn't that just spread the smell a further distance?? Imagine when someone in your neighborhood is grilling steaks, the entire community can smell it and the mouths start watering. Same principal, just stinkier.
    Wouldn't you know it... The first time I let a girl into my life and she trys to eat me. -- Columbus

Damn Hand Cannon

Status
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points
    Major systems should have a problem. If they have gravity fed systems then there would be no problems on the street side. I am happy with the septic tank I have after this thread. We have gravity fed water too so no worries about pumps going out without power. Though I am curious if the power here would fail as it comes from a small dam. Eventually with no workers, fuses and/or broken lines would stop the flow but I think we could fair well for some time.
    Teeth
    Does rocking the Claw Machine a worthy apocalyptic talent?

"Lurker"

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by They call me Revolver View Post
    The sewer system would still work. You can still flush the toilet when the power and water goes out. I just wouldn't want to go to the waste treatment plant.
    I dunno I didnt think you could use the water pipes for a toilet when the water went out.

Dadmin

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First Class50000 Experience PointsPro Level Wiki EditorVeteran
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rune View Post
    I dunno I didnt think you could use the water pipes for a toilet when the water went out.
    Its true. Back in 91 the entire city of Rochester, NY lost power and water for a week from an ice storm. and since this was before bottled water was standard issue, we would take buckets of snow from outside inside , and melt it for our needs. Including filling the toilet tank. we'd flush it twice a day and plug our nose the rest of the time.

EDIT: we also had to walk to school up hill both ways back then.

"Builder"

Status
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteranWell Liked
    Quote Originally Posted by nikvoodoo View Post
    EDIT: we also had to walk to school up hill both ways back then.
    And the wind was always blowing in your faces, where ever you went?
    Disclaimer!
    These are the ravings of an insane lunatic. Take nothing he/she/it says, does or looks like seriously

Wonderful story with an exciting ending

Dadmin

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Luna Guardian View Post
    And the wind was always blowing in your faces, where ever you went?
    Well of course. And we had no shoes. And we had to carry our siblings on our backs, unless they were sick and then we'd have to carry donkeys just so we wouldn't get to school too early.
    ~Ra1th: Nik doesn't sleep, he waits.~
    ~TCM Revolver: ra1th needs to be on the look out for cars that appear to be moved recently, and nikvoodoo on the rooftops
    Voodoo Lounge Here!! Twitter: Follow Me, Follow WA Follow WND

"Builder"

Status
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteranWell Liked
    Man, life was TOUGh when you were in school. Had fire been invented yet?
    Disclaimer!
    These are the ravings of an insane lunatic. Take nothing he/she/it says, does or looks like seriously

Wonderful story with an exciting ending

Dadmin

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Luna Guardian View Post
    Man, life was TOUGh when you were in school. Had fire been invented yet?
    It was invented, but we hadn't figured out that it burned you yet. My mother always missed the hair on the left side of her head...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast