User Tag List

Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2230313233 LastLast
    Ostentatious Legume

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassWiki AmateurWA PointsTagger Second ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Blog Entries

Last book I finished was Mona Lisa Overdrive by William Gibson. Brilliant finish to The Sprawl trilogy. Right now I'm deep into The Dog Stars by Peter Heller. Brilliant fucking book, and likely the definitive work on post-apocalypse struggle. It is utterly captivating. Genius. A must-read for survivors.
    joint-point-counter-joint

"Builder"

Status
    Achievements:
    LOVED TO DEATHVeteran25000 Experience Points

Currently I'm reading A Clash of Kings by George R. R. Martin... So far I like the series...a lot... Tempted to Watch the tv series, just to see how true it is to the book...

Ostentatious Legume

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassWiki AmateurWA PointsTagger Second ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Blog Entries

Last two books:

The Dog Stars by Peter Heller

Shorlisted for the Arthur C. Clarke Award 2013. THE ROAD - but with hope. Hig, bereaved and traumatised after global disaster, has three things to live for - his dog Jasper, his aggressive but helpful neighbour, and his Cessna aeroplane. He's just about surviving, so long as he only takes his beloved plane for short journeys, and saves his remaining fuel. But, just once, he picks up a message from another pilot, and eventually the temptation to find out who else is still alive becomes irresistible. So he takes his plane over the horizon, knowing that he won't have enough fuel to get back. What follows is scarier and more life-affirming than he could have imagined. And his story, THE DOG STARS, is a book unlike any you have ever read.
    I really loved it. Hard book to put down, beautifully written. Highly recommended.

Fiend by Peter Stenson

When Chase Daniels first sees the little girl in umbrella socks tearing open the Rottweiler, he's not too concerned. As a longtime meth addict, he’s no stranger to horrifying, drug-fueled hallucinations.
    But as he and his fellow junkies soon discover, the little girl is no illusion. The end of the world really has arrived.
    The funny thing is, Chase’s life was over long before the apocalypse got here, his existence already reduced to a stinking basement apartment and a filthy mattress and an endless grind of buying and selling and using. He’s lied and cheated and stolen and broken his parents’ hearts a thousand times. And he threw away his only shot at sobriety a long time ago, when he chose the embrace of the drug over the woman he still loves.
    And if your life’s already shattered beyond any normal hopes of redemption…well, maybe the end of the world is an opportunity. Maybe it’s a last chance for Chase to hit restart and become the man he once dreamed of being. Soon he’s fighting to reconnect with his lost love and dreaming of becoming her hero among civilization’s ruins.
    But is salvation just another pipe dream?
    Propelled by a blistering first-person voice and featuring a powerfully compelling antihero, Fiend is at once a riveting portrait of addiction, a pitch-black love story, and a meditation on hope, redemption, and delusion—not to mention one hell of a zombie novel.

Fucking amazing book. I didn't want it to end. Highly recommend.

Ostentatious Legume

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    Blog Entries

Just finished:

The Ocean At The End Of The Lane by Neil Gaiman

A man returns to the site of his childhood home where, years before, he knew a girl named Lettie Hempstock who showed him the most marvelous, dangerous, and outrageous things, but when he gets there he learns that nothing is as he remembered.
    One of the most imaginative, and vivid stories I've read in years. Gaiman never ceases to amaze.

Currently reading:

Stardust by Neil Gaiman

Young Tristran Thorn will do anything to win the cold heart of beautiful Victoria-even fetch her the star they watch fall from the night sky. But to do so, he must enter the unexplored lands on the other side of the ancient wall that gives their tiny village its name. Beyond that old stone wall, Tristran learns, lies Faerie-where nothing, not even a fallen star, is what he imagined.
    Really enjoyable. Gaiman has this seemingly innate ability to spin the mundane into the most lyrical prose. If you've never read any of his work, you're doing yourself a disservice, sirs.

"Gatherer"

Status
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsBeloved

I just finished Skin Game by Jim Butcher

Good book. Can tell that we are getting near the end of the massive Dresden Files. Moving a lot of things into place to finish up the series by book 20 (He has hinted in a few interviews that it will be 20 book with a Trilogy wrap up) then wrap it up with a 3 book 'End of the World' trilogy.

I agree with Osiris as well. If you have not read any of Gaiman's book you are really hurting yourself. At the very very least read American Gods.

Ostentatious Legume

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Verse View Post
    I just finished Skin Game by Jim Butcher

Good book. Can tell that we are getting near the end of the massive Dresden Files. Moving a lot of things into place to finish up the series by book 20 (He has hinted in a few interviews that it will be 20 book with a Trilogy wrap up) then wrap it up with a 3 book 'End of the World' trilogy.

I agree with Osiris as well. If you have not read any of Gaiman's book you are really hurting yourself. At the very very least read American Gods.

Wish I could agree with you about American Gods. I didn't like that one. Turned me off of his stuff for a clear year. Guess it just wasn't what I needed to read at the time. Being deep into Stardust right now I'm certain I'll give it another shot. Wasn't until I was recommended Ocean At The End Of The Lane that I gave him another chance. So glad I did. That book is magic.
    Likes Verse liked this post

Ostentatious Legume

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    Blog Entries

Stardust was beautiful. Saw the movie after, wanted to see how close they came. Missed it by miles. The book is superior in ever way, very much worth the read.

Currently reading:

The Gone-Away World by Nick Harkaway

A hilarious, action-packed look at the apocalypse that combines a touching tale of friendship, a thrilling war story, and an all out kung-fu infused mission to save the world.Gonzo Lubitch and his best friend have been inseparable since birth. They grew up together, they studied martial arts together, they rebelled in college together, and they fought in the Go-Away War together. Now, with the world in shambles and dark nightmarish clouds billowing over the wastelands, they have been tapped for an incredibly perilous mission. But they quickly realize that this assignment is not all it seems, and before it is over they will have encountered everything from mimes, ninjas, and pirates to one ultra-sinister mastermind, whose only goal is world domination. Unlike anything else, The Gone-Away World is a remarkable literary début that will be remembered and rediscovered for years to come.
    I'm about 35% through. Well written. Harkaway reads like a smarter, much more verbose Douglas Adams. Also picked up another of his books: Angelmaker. Will likely read it next. Worth picking up for sure.

"Guard Duty"

Status
    Achievements:
    Well Liked5000 Experience PointsVeteran

Just finished book 4 of the series Ex heroes by Peter Clines. The idea behind the series is fun, zombie Apocalypse in LA with the twist that several months before the outbreak there were super heroes showing up who try to fight against the end of the world. If you are a comic fan like me it's amusing. I also liked the story telling, flipping between POV's in past during the outbreak and present the heroes protecting the survivors and how the protectors of humanity have to deal with their various morality differences.
    I only speak three languages-English, Spanglish and Sarcasm, If you don't speak at least two of them you probably won't get my humor anyway...

"Lurker"

Status
    I just finished listening to the audiobook of High Midnight, by Rob Mosca. It was weird, but awesome. Very pulpy, alt-reality story. There are zombies, but they aren't the main focus. Highly recommended!

"Lurker"

Status
    I am reading comic book.

Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2230313233 LastLast