User Tag List

Page 22 of 33 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
    "Hunter"

Status
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassWell LikedVeteran
    Quote Originally Posted by scbubba View Post
    Indeed they are mostly concurrent. The later part of DoD converges the storylines in the two books. Probably not too bad to gt those to out of orde though. Love this series and have read through the 5 books a few times now. Will probably start again after the third season of the HBO series airs in the spring
    Yeah, not to upset.
    I can't really say anything because I can't work out the spoiler tag but the sudden power shift caused by that thing at the end of book three sure is making things interesting.
    Also its nice to see some new contenders come out of the wood work.

Browncoat

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassHigh Level WikiWA PointsTagger First Class1 year registeredExtreme Love50000 Experience Points

Quote Originally Posted by Solanine View Post
    Yeah, not to upset.
    I can't really say anything because I can't work out the spoiler tag but the sudden power shift caused by that thing at the end of book three sure is making things interesting.
    Also its nice to see some new contenders come out of the wood work.
    Most definitely. Martin's ability to unflinchingly kill off a main character in this series is an allure to many (myself included). He really pours fuel to the fire in Book 3 and turns the readers on their heads for a while. Some people get turned off by it but I feel like it keeps me on the edge of my seat while reading it....
    Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle.

Ostentatious Legume

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassWiki AmateurWA PointsTagger Second ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Blog Entries

joint-point-counter-joint

"Hunter"

Status
    Achievements:
    Most definitely. Martin's ability to unflinchingly kill off a main character in this series is an allure to many (myself included). He really pours fuel to the fire in Book 3 and turns the readers on their heads for a while. Some people get turned off by it but I feel like it keeps me on the edge of my seat while reading it....
    WARNING (KINDA) SPOILER FOR BOOK ONE- Book 4 OF "A song of ice and fire"
    If your still reading and haven't read the first book of "A song of Fire and Ice" I take no responsibility for spoiling your future enjoyment of it.
    Its been out almost two decades.

Eddards death kind of threw me in the first book. I didn't realise how much I liked the character until he died.
    What saves the books from being annoying is that everything happens for a good reason.
    Ned died as part of the character development for Joffrey. Tywin died because he was the glue that kept Tommens backers together.
    Without him the other three people claiming a right to the throne have a chance at it.
    My question is whether Stannis might actually bend his knee to Deanerys and or Aegon because they have the best claim to the throne.

"Destroyer"

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassWiki AmateurTagger First ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran

1913 - a book about, well, 1913, "Summer of the century."

Browncoat

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassHigh Level WikiWA PointsTagger First Class1 year registeredExtreme Love50000 Experience Points

Quote Originally Posted by Solanine View Post
    WARNING (KINDA) SPOILER FOR BOOK ONE- Book 4 OF "A song of ice and fire"
    If your still reading and haven't read the first book of "A song of Fire and Ice" I take no responsibility for spoiling your future enjoyment of it.
    Its been out almost two decades.

Eddards death kind of threw me in the first book. I didn't realise how much I liked the character until he died.
    What saves the books from being annoying is that everything happens for a good reason.
    Ned died as part of the character development for Joffrey. Tywin died because he was the glue that kept Tommens backers together.
    Without him the other three people claiming a right to the throne have a chance at it.
    My question is whether Stannis might actually bend his knee to Deanerys and or Aegon because they have the best claim to the throne.
    The thing about Stannis bending the knee to a Targaryen is that wanted them dead just as much as his brother Robert did. Stannis makes a lot of noise about the "right of succession", etc but he had no problem throwing it away when it served him better to ignore it.

All that being said, I stopped being (too) surprised by what Martin does with the characters because, as you said, he is always moving the story forward for good reason with them....
    Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle.

"Hunter"

Status
    Achievements:
    The thing about Stannis bending the knee to a Targaryen is that wanted them dead just as much as his brother Robert did. Stannis makes a lot of noise about the "right of succession", etc but he had no problem throwing it away when it served him better to ignore it.

All that being said, I stopped being (too) surprised by what Martin does with the characters because, as you said, he is always moving the story forward for good reason with them....
    We don't know that unless its revealed in a book I haven't read. I'd really hate to see Stannis and the North go to war with Deanary's/ Aegon etc.

Ostentatious Legume

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassWiki AmateurWA PointsTagger Second ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Blog Entries

&

joint-point-counter-joint

Blogger from the 9th Floor of the Tower

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassHigh Level WikiWA PointsTagger First ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Blog Entries

Hello.

Currently I read these books:

823.jpg
    Quicksilver (The Baroque Cycle #1) by Neal Stephenson

1498145.jpg
    Interstellar Travel & Multi-Generational Space Ships by by Yoji Kondo (Editor)

6350777.jpg
    Stories Volume 1 by Ray Bradbury

50091.jpg
    The Complete Robot (Robot #1) by Isaac Asimov
    Zombie Story:
    - raises the acceptance of killing humans in huge numbers,
    - reveals everything bad and and even worse about human behaviour and psychology,
    - is fun.

"Hunter"

Status
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris View Post

&

Dracula is in my top 20 books of all time.
    Really brilliant piece that still holds up today.
    Frankenstein, on a related note, is also very good.

I have now started reading "The Dark Tower: Gunslinger".
    Very good so far, might even displace "The Stand" as my favourite Steven King book.
    I bought the first three books at once so it seems like the series won't last very long
    Last edited by Solanine; Jan 12th, 2013 at 08:02 AM. Reason: Forgot about Gunslinger.

Page 22 of 33 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast