User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Dadmin

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First Class50000 Experience PointsPro Level Wiki EditorVeteran
    Blog Entries

Marcus and his Colony

Lets have some fun and try to figure out what Marcus is like before we meet him.

Marcus is obviously an intelligent person to be the leader of such a well organized, and disciplined group of people. He has to be charismatic and draw people to him. His people follow the rules explicitly and seem to have bought into the greater good.

Though there are obviously some draw backs too. They have had people try to sneak in (as evident by Victor's comments) so we know he's made some security mistakes. He also has a Utopian ideal of how the Colony should be. Hope had to be sponsored (for lack of a better term) by Tanya because no one wanted her because of her disability.

So what do we think of Marcus, his leadership and his Colony?

Moderator from the 10th Floor of the Tower

Status
    Blog Entries
    Blog Entries

Gamertag: Lake IX
    its really too early to tell in my opinion, he's gotta be powerful, and quite a planner to organize an entire colony in the midst of an apocalypse scenario. i think theres a good chance he'll be an idealist, trying to create a utopian society, and history dictates that these are destined to fail due to corruption. but until we actually meet the guy who knows. i dont like his colony. even though its not the nightmare cannibal house of terror we thought it could've been, this feels even more dangerous, it seems like paradise, birds chirping, sun shining, but just small context clues like victor warning them to stay away, and hope almost being cast out because of her disability, the doctor said she wasnt doing her work by choice, there seems to be a dark undertone hidden underneath the perfection of it all. but once again not enough info to make an educated call
    Angel's #1 Fan

Dadmin

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First Class50000 Experience PointsPro Level Wiki EditorVeteran
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ra1th View Post
    its really too early to tell in my opinion, ...but once again not enough info to make an educated call
    I know. Hence the fun! Then once we learn more, we can come back and backtrack on all our theories!

"Fresh Meat"

Status
    If I remember correctly, the doctor said that she was working under orders of Marcus. My guess is he did this for leverage purposes against Michael and crew. That or he's just a really nice guy.

Dadmin

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    Blog Entries

Another Monday, another couple of tidbits about Marcus and the Colony. Here's the best I can figure right now (until the 21st when my theory will have to change all over again).

Marcus and the Colony seems to resemble the Mafia in a way. You don't necessarily have to join them, and you don't necessarily need to get their protection. But if you do happen to find yourself indebted to Don Marcus, he may call upon you some day to do a favor for him. And since we can't very well have people wandering around, Marcus keeps them close for the favors.

So aside from the Godfather references, this seems to be where this is leading. Tanya is working on Michael's arm, Hope says if that's the case then it is now too late for Michael, Pegs and Kelly to leave. Michael has found himself indebted to the Colony and now must pay the price.

"Expelled From The Tower"

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by nikvoodoo View Post
    Another Monday, another couple of tidbits about Marcus and the Colony. Here's the best I can figure right now (until the 21st when my theory will have to change all over again).

Marcus and the Colony seems to resemble the Mafia in a way. You don't necessarily have to join them, and you don't necessarily need to get their protection. But if you do happen to find yourself indebted to Don Marcus, he may call upon you some day to do a favor for him. And since we can't very well have people wandering around, Marcus keeps them close for the favors.

So aside from the Godfather references, this seems to be where this is leading. Tanya is working on Michael's arm, Hope says if that's the case then it is now too late for Michael, Pegs and Kelly to leave. Michael has found himself indebted to the Colony and now must pay the price.
    Wow, I never looked at it that way. I just thought he was a straight up evil asshole, but he's a little more than that apparently.

Status
    Blog Entries
    Blog Entries

And so maller/tower tag team rescue op!
    Angel's #1 Fan

Dadmin

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ra1th View Post
    And so maller/tower tag team rescue op!
    Ra1th, you and I agree on just about everything so far, but I think you're jumping the gun on the Maller/Tower team up. Michael, Pegs and Kelly are well out of contact range with the Tower right now. If Burt suspects them to be dead, he's not going to send a scout party looking for them (I'm combining your thoughts from the 18-3 reaction thread as well), he's just going to let them go as a loss. It's more likely that the three of them (plus Hope and possibly Tanya) escape the Colony somehow and make it back to L.A.

Don't get me wrong, I agree that somewhere down the line a Tower/Maller alliance could happen. Angel returning Latch lays the ground work for it. But there's still Pegs/Scratch that has to be dealt with, as well as Who's the Rat before any alliance can be forged. Imagine the Tower going to the Mallers and saying "Hey we need to rescue our friends....one of which killed John" Scratch would probably go against the old adage and shoot the messenger.

Status
    Blog Entries
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nikvoodoo View Post
    Ra1th, you and I agree on just about everything so far, but I think you're jumping the gun on the Maller/Tower team up. Michael, Pegs and Kelly are well out of contact range with the Tower right now. If Burt suspects them to be dead, he's not going to send a scout party looking for them (I'm combining your thoughts from the 18-3 reaction thread as well), he's just going to let them go as a loss. It's more likely that the three of them (plus Hope and possibly Tanya) escape the Colony somehow and make it back to L.A.

Don't get me wrong, I agree that somewhere down the line a Tower/Maller alliance could happen. Angel returning Latch lays the ground work for it. But there's still Pegs/Scratch that has to be dealt with, as well as Who's the Rat before any alliance can be forged. Imagine the Tower going to the Mallers and saying "Hey we need to rescue our friends....one of which killed John" Scratch would probably go against the old adage and shoot the messenger.
    Well i am jumping the gun a little with the tower/maller team up, but i think its a strong possibility, (and one that i really really want!!!), and heres why, MPK (michael/peggs/kelly) might be out of range right now, but i think it's possible that as michael takes his time and heals his arm, over the next month, we'll see kelly and peggs become part of the colony work force, eventually i think they will also start going on recon missions, on one these missions i think they'll move out far enough that they can send an emergency transmission to the tower, ALSO they might be able to take the meds that saul needs with them on the recon mission and leave it in a marked and designated location for the tower to find (maybe the boat, because that might come into play in the future , no way would kc introduce somehting like that for no reason at all). the only reason im even mentioning this is so that saul will get his medication, and he'll have time to heal up for the next war.

as for the tower/maller alliance, im not saying these two just turn into best buds out of no where, i'm saying that they can have an uneasy alliance. like us and the USSR. during WWII against the nazis. So the groundwork has been laid for a truce or a cease fire between mallers and the tower, so say a rep for the mallers comes by, and burt casually drops a reference about teh colony, the mallers dont have to know their exact reasons for going into the colony (ie scratch doesnt have to know the tower's intent is to save pegs). and the mallers would be interested cause they are in the market for a new place to stay. and like u said, this would be a good time for the traitor to be hunted down.

so theres ur set up, over the next few chapters, these things happen, and then for our season finale, we have a war on the colony, AND the tower is back to its full fighting force. Michael will have had his arm healed, saul will be back on his feet, Angel is as beast as ever, Burt is gonna step into the field, Durai and his army will be in the fight, and we'll find out just how capable the colony is.
    Last edited by Ra1th; Feb 8th, 2011 at 01:10 AM.
    Angel's #1 Fan

Dadmin

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    Blog Entries

Here's something that should be noted about Marcus despite all we know about him now: He was actually a good leader. Yes, he was deceitful and harsh, but he was effective. He pulled the Colony up by the bootstraps and made it work. When Sean came along, he was smart enough to put him in as second in command. Now he was able to do what he thought needed to be done to lead his people, because he had an intermediary to act as the good cop to his bad cop.

What also makes him a good leader, in my opinion, was not wanting Gatekeeper to have the Second in Command position. He knew exactly what Gatekeeper was, and tried to protect the people from that. It's also just as possible that Marcus was protecting himself because I think he knew once Sean was gone, his claim to authority was about to be challenged. That's why he had his dogs with him at all times. I think ultimately what happened to Marcus is somewhat tragic. Did he have it coming? Probably. Would I have preferred to see Marcus go down by a populace uprising? Yes I would have. But I feel the real tragedy is, you get glimpses that he truly does care about his position, but when we meet him he knows something bad is about to happen to him. He's just a guy who got in way over his head and couldn't find a way to surface to get some air.

What do you think?
    ~Ra1th: Nik doesn't sleep, he waits.~
    ~TCM Revolver: ra1th needs to be on the look out for cars that appear to be moved recently, and nikvoodoo on the rooftops
    Voodoo Lounge Here!! Twitter: Follow Me, Follow WA Follow WND

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast