User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Burt's age

"Fresh Meat"

Status

Burt's age

If Burt is 52 in 2009, and the Vietnam War ended in 1975, then at the very most he would have been only 18 at the end of the war. Is that possible?

Moderator from the 10th Floor of the Tower

Status
    Blog Entries
    Blog Entries

Gamertag: Lake IX
    yeah he could have, there was a draft during that time it's easily possible that he got drafted into the marine corp. ( i read a wiki on it, it seems like the marines took physically capable looking members out of army draft lines, and threw 'em into the marine corp) Or he may have joined up at 18, there was a lot of propaganda swirling around at that time, hey he might have even joined at 17 cause that's acceptable under some circumstances
    Angel's #1 Fan

Dadmin

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First Class50000 Experience PointsPro Level Wiki EditorVeteran
    Blog Entries

If he enlisted early it would make work. I currently don't have access to the surgery episode when he told the sandwich story. If he was a gunny then, there might be a continuity issue.

If he wasn't a gunny, he still had plenty of time to go up in rank after the war.
    Last edited by nikvoodoo; Feb 26th, 2011 at 09:41 PM.

Wait...What??

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First Class10000 Experience PointsPro Level Wiki EditorWell LikedVeteran
    Blog Entries

Raptr ID: WTF is a Raptr??
    Quote Originally Posted by manintrees View Post
    If Burt is 52 in 2009, and the Vietnam War ended in 1975, then at the very most he would have been only 18 at the end of the war. Is that possible?
    Sure, if Burts parents signed a consent form he could have signed up at 16. Seems really young, but I think they took anyone they could get.
    Wouldn't you know it... The first time I let a girl into my life and she trys to eat me. -- Columbus

"Hoarder"

Status
    Achievements:
    BloggerVeteran5000 Experience Points
    All possible, but unlikely... I don't recall my Uncle saying people got promoted so quickly during his tour. To make a Marine Sergeant in a single tour or duty???

I guess Bert stayed in the Marines after the end of the war which would make it the ONLY plausible way he would reach the rank of Marine Sergeant.
    “Live as you would have wished to live when you are dying...”

Blogger from the 9th Floor of the Tower

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassTagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsWell LikedVeteran
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by COsurvivor View Post
    All possible, but unlikely... I don't recall my Uncle saying people got promoted so quickly during his tour. To make a Marine Sergeant in a single tour or duty???

I guess Bert stayed in the Marines after the end of the war which would make it the ONLY plausible way he would reach the rank of Marine Sergeant.
    Didn't Burt say he was retired? When he was picked up by Angel and Saul
    Fruity Oaty Bar Jingle: Fruity Oaty Bars! Make a man out of a mouse! Fruity Oaty Bars! Make you bust out of your blouse! Eat them all the time! Let them blow your mind... ohh! Fruity Oaty Bars!
    "Burn it to the ground. My only regret would be not being able to burn it a second time." Osiris, on how the world should burn.

Dadmin

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First Class50000 Experience PointsPro Level Wiki EditorVeteran
    Blog Entries

He did say he was retired, Yarri.

Also, Burt punched his commanding officer after the RPG attack on his position and Burt claimed he didn't get promoted anytime soon. So once again, he either already was a gunny and never passed that rank, or he stayed in well after the war and ranked up that way.
    ~Ra1th: Nik doesn't sleep, he waits.~
    ~TCM Revolver: ra1th needs to be on the look out for cars that appear to be moved recently, and nikvoodoo on the rooftops
    Voodoo Lounge Here!! Twitter: Follow Me, Follow WA Follow WND

Status
    Blog Entries
    Blog Entries
    Well the rank of Gunny starts at E7, which is where I'm at right now at 20 years active duty. Marines and Army get promoted much quicker than we do though, so I'd take a guess to say he could have reached E7 by his 15th year in normal conditions. If he was field promoted due to buddies taking dirt naps, then I could happen much quicker.
    My guess is that that's the rank he retired as though.

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First Class50000 Experience PointsPro Level Wiki EditorVeteranExtreme LoveOverdrive
    Blog Entries

Gamertag: kc wayland Steam ID: waylandprod
    Quote Originally Posted by HaveCrowBarWillTravel View Post
    Well the rank of Gunny starts at E7, which is where I'm at right now at 20 years active duty. Marines and Army get promoted much quicker than we do though, so I'd take a guess to say he could have reached E7 by his 15th year in normal conditions. If he was field promoted due to buddies taking dirt naps, then I could happen much quicker.
    My guess is that that's the rank he retired as though.
    Yup! Burt was not a Gunny in Vietnam. After a long term in the service is when he reached the rank of Gunny, which he ended up retiring at E-7 later.

Promotions are funny, they can happen fast or slow, just due to available positions and slots with units. It gets more complicated and difficult the higher up you go.

Status
    Blog Entries
    Blog Entries
    Roger that.. see, we compete against our entire AFSC (MOS), so depending on how well you study and take a test basically determines how fast you move up.
    Anyway, the Age of Burt Mystery has been solved *and he would have gotten away with it, if it hadn't been for those kids and that dog!*

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast