PDA

View Full Version : Chapter 18- No Place Like Home - Part 2

Kc
Jan 31st, 2011, 08:58 AM
Theories, discussions, all go here for 18-2

Adogg
Jan 31st, 2011, 09:08 AM
Downloading now.... (expecting a Michael/Pegs ****storm)

VeritableHero
Jan 31st, 2011, 09:48 AM
KC, it made my heart happy that you brought Hope into the story. It's nice to hear that she made it out alive; that is a nice way to make us feel better about you killing off our dear Samantha.

Greg did a good job with his lines, too. He was very chipper so I hope that indicates a happy environment in the colony that we can trust. Although, I could just be setting myself up for disappointment when it turns into a weird place.

Overall, this episode did a great job of advancing the story.

I'm even more anxious to return to the Angel story, though, and finally learn what's been happening at the tower.

Adogg
Jan 31st, 2011, 10:11 AM
Pete is Greg from another podcast! So cool, KC.

Umm ..... the writing seemed spot on. I really felt like this is what would happen but I'm not sure I felt that anything big happened. We did learn that they are pro-military (I was worried they may have actually fought some military earlier), that they still have supplies (and lots of them), and are coming under attack.

Brokenzipper
Jan 31st, 2011, 11:35 AM
Wonder if Marcus will let them go back to the others. Maybe michael will have to sneak out with a freshly broken arm.
Also, why was victor trying to keep them away?

jiwasz
Jan 31st, 2011, 11:42 AM
They don't seem much like cannibals to me. I doubt they would have bothered with any medical aid if they were planning on eating them. Keeping Hope alive was good pathos and softened the hard image of the Colony suggested in part 1. There's still potential for drama when our crew meets Marcus, but I doubt it will be of the gustatorial variety.

On a different note, I have to say I really appreciate the sound editing. I normally listen on my car speakers which are just factory issue. I listened to this week's podcast in my home office on a set of quality speakers and the sound of the truck rumbling came through wonderfully. I'm tempted to go back and start from the beginning and hear what I missed the first time around.

nikvoodoo
Jan 31st, 2011, 11:47 AM
Speaking of the sound design, as soon as they walked into the street and I heard birds, I knew they were safe. Honestly, when was the last time you heard that many birds chirping in this podcast?

Ra1th
Jan 31st, 2011, 12:10 PM
i certainly hope that we'll be hearing more about michaels arm, but i suppose it wouldnt make much sense for michael to tell the story to a bunch of random people. The colony doesnt seem so bad but it is a dictatorship nonetheless.

ok so here's my theory, Michael's arm is out for another month or so, so he's basically useless till then, i get the feeling that this Marcus (speaking of which who is he? other than the leader, have we met him before?) is not gonna let michael leave. Soldiers are valuable, so they might force michael to stay. Maybe Kelly and Pegs will run the meds back to saul in the tower, and then teh next storyline would be something as to how the colony is evil incarnate, and an alliance forms between the mallers and the tower, and then they go to war with the colony as it seems both the mallers and the tower need to relocate.

i rly rly rly want a team up with the mallers and the tower, but this is all just blindly throwing stuff out there to get to an end where theres a maller/tower tag team on the colony.

also hope, i had no clue who she was cause every time i re listen to the podcast, i always skip chapter 10 or all the parts with samantha and datu, but i'd hope to hear where the old tower is and an exploration of that area, maybe they have water or power or maybe thats wehre they'll move into.

Ra1th
Jan 31st, 2011, 12:14 PM
Also, KC, i live in Irvine, and i know the santa ana area really well, is the colony based on somewhere real?

Kc
Jan 31st, 2011, 12:24 PM
Also, KC, i live in Irvine, and i know the santa ana area really well, is the colony based on somewhere real?
Perhaps...

Adogg
Jan 31st, 2011, 12:59 PM
i certainly hope that we'll be hearing more about michaels arm, but i suppose it wouldnt make much sense for michael to tell the story to a bunch of random people. The colony doesnt seem so bad but it is a dictatorship nonetheless.

ok so here's my theory, Michael's arm is out for another month or so, so he's basically useless till then, i get the feeling that this Marcus (speaking of which who is he? other than the leader, have we met him before?) is not gonna let michael leave. Soldiers are valuable, so they might force michael to stay. Maybe Kelly and Pegs will run the meds back to saul in the tower, and then teh next storyline would be something as to how the colony is evil incarnate, and an alliance forms between the mallers and the tower, and then they go to war with the colony as it seems both the mallers and the tower need to relocate.

i rly rly rly want a team up with the mallers and the tower, but this is all just blindly throwing stuff out there to get to an end where theres a maller/tower tag team on the colony.

also hope, i had no clue who she was cause every time i re listen to the podcast, i always skip chapter 10 or all the parts with samantha and datu, but i'd hope to hear where the old tower is and an exploration of that area, maybe they have water or power or maybe thats wehre they'll move into.

Why not an alliance WITH the colony? I mean really what's the difference between the way Michael/Burt act and the way we think Marcus acts? I remember Burt not letting people go look for help for Saul ....

I'm in the minority now that thinks the Colony is not all that bad (yet) but something certainly has the scouts thinking it is... Now what could that be....

nikvoodoo
Jan 31st, 2011, 01:06 PM
Why not an alliance WITH the colony? I mean really what's the difference between the way Michael/Burt act and the way we think Marcus acts? I remember Burt not letting people go look for help for Saul ....

I'm in the minority now that thinks the Colony is not all that bad (yet) but something certainly has the scouts thinking it is... Now what could that be....

I'm with you tentatively. But I believe one of two things will happen: The Tower will agree to move to the Colony and will be attacked en route by Mallers (I think this to be less likely).

Or, the Tower moves to the Colony but are too used to doing things their own way (and we all know how well people in the Tower obey rules and submit to authority...) which leads to friction and results in conflict between the two groups. This could open The Tower group to the alliance with the Mallers everyone seems so keen for, because the Tower group will be desperate.

Ra1th
Jan 31st, 2011, 01:58 PM
I'm with you tentatively. But I believe one of two things will happen: The Tower will agree to move to the Colony and will be attacked en route by Mallers (I think this to be less likely).

Or, the Tower moves to the Colony but are too used to doing things their own way (and we all know how well people in the Tower obey rules and submit to authority...) which leads to friction and results in conflict between the two groups. This could open The Tower group to the alliance with the Mallers everyone seems so keen for, because the Tower group will be desperate.

i think its also highly possible that the tower is going to move to and re fortify the second tower, now that they have the girl Hope, and she went blind after the outbreak, she'll know the location of the second tower, which was allready heavily barricaded from what kalanin tells us, im under the impression that the story will most likely stay in LA because thats where ground zero is, and taht plays a pretty big role in this

And Adogg, i want a maller/tower team up instead of a tower/colony team up because i think Durai is a total badass. I love the whole enemy of my enemy is a friend thing, it was so awesome in dragon ball z when vegeta joined up with goku, or when vader turns against the empreror, Durai's the devil we know, so i want a team up

NoReality95
Jan 31st, 2011, 02:55 PM
My God when they went into that door I felt...hopeful. I mean a piano! we had a piano with a happy melody! Man if these guys could do all this I can't wait to see what happens! But the whole thing with Marcus not letting them go seems a bit scary. God the third time this show has made me cry with Hope finding out about Samantha (WHY DIDN'T THEY TAKE KALANI!!!). I CAN'T WAIT FOR NEXT WEEK WE'RE ALIVE HAS MADE MONDAYS HAVE MEANING!!

Adogg
Jan 31st, 2011, 02:56 PM
How about a Colony/Tower team up against the "cause" of the issue (aka INK) .... and the Mallers get in the way. Maybe they get into the tower or ....

the colony!

dun dun dun!

Onslaught
Jan 31st, 2011, 05:15 PM
Well it looks like the colony isn't full of cannibals or at least of what we've heard so far. I'm just wondering who this Marcus character is, I would really like to hear more about him. I'm also really anxious to hear about Angel and Kalani again. I think right now their story is a bit more exciting while Michael/Pegs/Kelly's story is full of more drama. I wonder how Angel's and Kalani's plan will work out and what will happen. But really this new episode shows that the colony is strong and that its going to play a bigger part than I originally thought.

Ra1th
Jan 31st, 2011, 06:14 PM
How about a Colony/Tower team up against the "cause" of the issue (aka INK) .... and the Mallers get in the way. Maybe they get into the tower or ....

the colony!

dun dun dun!

But thats sooooooo cliche. comeon, 2 good guys fighting the badguy, not to mention, it seems that one of the good guys is MAAASSIVE (colony is supposed to be a few thousand strong) besides the colony. not darth vader, and not very badass. cause heres the thing, the mallers are not that big a threat. last time they attacked, the tower fended them off without any problems, theres no point in a colony/tower team up against the mallers, thats overkill. the colony on the other hand is HUGE, so its ok. oooooorrrr it could be a maller, colony team up on the tower, eh we'll find out soon enough, but i guarantee you this, there will be a team up, or a civil war, or something, but there will be teams

Apolyon
Jan 31st, 2011, 08:18 PM
Purely Opinionated
Great episode but, it was short lived. It seems that this episode was shorter than others by a good margin. Also, why no update on Angel and Kalani? I mean I can understand how hard it is to make an episode of such pure epicness but we wait a week to get some good media on our brains and we get shorted in length and content? On another note: the Colony people piss me off. Honestly how rude and unsociable can a zombie apocalypse make some one? It seemed like every time Michael Pegs or Kelly tried to talk they would either get told to shut up because they are stupid or get the cold shoulder with some evading answers. It sounds like the people of the colony have something preoccupying their minds all the time and it is either too esoteric to tell an outsider and just let them stumble about in conversations because no one will tell them whats what, or it something that they cant tell outsiders yet and have a problem with whatever it is. It also felt like an anime when the characters arent saying what would naturally come next in a conversation and then being satisfied with not clarifying the ensuing confusion. Other than that, Im anticipating the re-break of Michaels arm with dread, lol. Its like a car crash, you dont enjoy whats happened but you still have to turn your head and watch. Keep 'em comming, they are amazing!

Pikepaw
Jan 31st, 2011, 08:51 PM
the mallers are not that big a threat. last time they attacked, the tower fended them off without any problems,

Um, if I remember correctly, the Mallers almost burned the Tower to the ground and the only way the Tower got rid of them was by summoning a massive hoard of zombies. Those seem to be problems. Few casualties maybe, but that was just luck.

I loved this episode. When I heard the girl's name was Hope, I leapt out of my chair and was gasping/shouting her name, recognizing it seconds before Michael and Pegs did. Amazing twist. Also, we finally here at least a little bit of how Michael broke his arm. Crushed in a door...but I'm convinced more happened than that.

Ra1th
Jan 31st, 2011, 09:29 PM
Um, if I remember correctly, the Mallers almost burned the Tower to the ground and the only way the Tower got rid of them was by summoning a massive hoard of zombies. Those seem to be problems. Few casualties maybe, but that was just luck.

I loved this episode. When I heard the girl's name was Hope, I leapt out of my chair and was gasping/shouting her name, recognizing it seconds before Michael and Pegs did. Amazing twist. Also, we finally here at least a little bit of how Michael broke his arm. Crushed in a door...but I'm convinced more happened than that.

what i meant to say was, that they are not an undefeatable enemy. the last maller attack was fended off, and if i had to call it, i'd say the tower did a hell of a lot more damage to the mallers than the mallers did to the tower, point of it is, the mallers and the tower fought head to head, and it was pretty much a draw, so storywise, it would be stupid to have a team up with the tower and the colony against the mallers, the colony has at least 1000 people. the tower has about 30 ppl, and the mallers have maybe 50-80 ppl left, now in what way is a tower/colony team up on the mallers fair? that'll just be complete domination.

the mallers are not that big a threat, because the mallers attacked the tower, and it ended in absolute and utter failure. are they a threat ? yes, but they can be beaten, but if the colony was to become hostile to the tower, now THATS a real difference in power

nikvoodoo
Jan 31st, 2011, 09:42 PM
the mallers are not that big a threat, because the mallers attacked the tower, and it ended in absolute and utter failure. are they a threat ? yes, but they can be beaten, but if the colony was to become hostile to the tower, now THATS a real difference in power

Without knowing what Durai's plans for the Tower were, we can't really say if it was a total failure or not. Remember Scratch went against his wishes when she dropped the Molotov Cocktail. If the Mallers had wanted to destroy the Tower entirely, they probably could have done it. Hell, they could have taken one of their tankers, driven it into the lobby and thrown a pipe bomb at that. They were most likely trying to take over the Tower for their own purposes which is harder to do than just throwing enough pipe bombs into a building to take it down.

I will also say if the Colony turned hostile, it doesn't seem like they would go on an offensive like the Mallers did. The Colony has dug themselves in deep where they are and I doubt they would ever travel up to L.A. to attack anyone. They have a lifestyle that works really well for them, and without meeting Marcus or knowing anything about him yet, it doesn't seem like he would do something so rash as to launch an offensive and leave the Colony in a weakened state.

Kc
Jan 31st, 2011, 11:02 PM
the colony has at least 1000 people. the tower has about 30 ppl, and the mallers have maybe 50-80 ppl left
Just to clarify:
1000 = Colony (Speculation from Michael, may not be accurate)
30 ppl= Tower (You're close)
50-80 ppl- Mallers (That is completely unknown)

I didn't give anything away, but maybe this might help a little in the discussion.

Hikaro
Feb 1st, 2011, 01:38 AM
Without knowing what Durai's plans for the Tower were
Yes we do, their base at the time was absolutely terrible. So they wanted the tower which was much better fortified and far easier to defend. Which was why they didnt just blow the place to smithereens. They wouldn't have even needed to drive a tanker there since the Tower had one sitting in their backyard already.

Indeed if there were a 2v1 teamup a maller-tower vs colony seems like it would be more interesting. Though it might be something against the zombie ground zero as well. If things at the colony do go well, despite the subtle hints that it wont, they would have enough people to make a more organized attack on ground zero. Of course that would pose a new problem of convincing the colonists to help, since they are as previously stated pretty well dug in.

jiwasz
Feb 1st, 2011, 04:59 AM
I suspect Samantha's daughter will become a more significant character. Blind Hope is too much of a metaphor to resist. I think Datu will want to care for her as a surrogate father once he learns of her survival.

wooly
Feb 1st, 2011, 06:16 AM
I suspect Samantha's daughter will become a more significant character. Blind Hope is too much of a metaphore to resist. I think Datu will want to care for her as a surrogate father once he learns of her survival.

Excellent point, hope you're right. Datu has become a really miserable character lately. Maybe this will end his moping and gloom and bring back the old guy I liked.

jeffatopolis
Feb 1st, 2011, 07:52 AM
Ok, so this is my first real post on the forum, don't beat me up too bad about not knowing established theories.

Finding Hope was an interesting turn in the plot, however too little too late in my opinion for any emotional connection. But what it could do is give us some backstory on Kalani, maybe Hope knows about him, maybe she can finally get him killed or abandoned. I would like to see the passages written in Datu's journal by Samantha passed on to Hope so that she can read some of her mother's final words.

I have to wonder if the colony has a helicopter. The challenge of getting Michael, Pegs, and Kelly back to tower with Michael having a freshly re-broken arm could be greatly alleviated with a chopper. Also, if a rescue mission is hatched by the colony for the tower, maybe some characters will remain in the tower - skeptical of change and fearful of the new community.

Lastly, as a Walking Dead reader, the colony strikes a sour note and a too close to the Governor storyline. I am willing to look past this in a collateral evolution of a zombie outbreak.

VeritableHero
Feb 1st, 2011, 09:39 AM
I would like to see the passages written in Datu's journal by Samantha passed on to Hope so that she can read some of her mother's final words.
Guess someone would have to read them to her, though.

Also, if a rescue mission is hatched by the colony for the tower, maybe some characters will remain in the tower - skeptical of change and fearful of the new community.
Interesting thought. I'm guessing the ones that would stay behind wouldn't last too long if their numbers weren't substantial. Guessing the majority of the named survivors in the tower would jump at the chance to get to a seemingly more secure place.

nikvoodoo
Feb 1st, 2011, 10:06 AM
Yes we do, their base at the time was absolutely terrible. So they wanted the tower which was much better fortified and far easier to defend. Which was why they didnt just blow the place to smithereens. They wouldn't have even needed to drive a tanker there since the Tower had one sitting in their backyard already.

Let me say the same thing but in a different way: Without knowing what Durai's exact plans are, we can't call the attack an absolute and abject failure. That's the point I was making was the success/failure of his attack. If you had finished reading the rest of that paragraph you would have seen that I concluded "taking it over for their own purposes"

Ra1th
Feb 1st, 2011, 11:18 AM
Nikvoodoo, ur right... as usual, at this point it doesnt seem likely that there would be any need for a tower/maller team up on the colony. at least not to defend themselves.

It just seems shallow to have the mallers just be the badguy again. Plus the thing is, even if we dont know what the maller intention was during the war, and we dont really know the full potential of the mallers, but it would seem tacky to me to have the mallers become a threat that is powerful enough to eclipse both the colony and the tower. it just seems like it would be changing the enemy to fit the situation, well whatever it is i'm sure it'll be done in an artful way and we wont even notice, cause i had the same worry when the michael group set out to find a doctor (oh are u just gonna find a doctor out there now that u need one? but it was done rly well so)

ahh theres just not enough information on the colony to theorize what will happen.

also, greg miller was pete, i love him and all but his voice work seemd noticeably worse compared to the actors, just makes you appreciate how talented they are.

Also after re listening to it all, michael and peggs seemed like douche bags about questioning Hope, seriously, what good came of that other than making her cry, and then not even realizing that they made a serious mistake. they're guests, they should behave that way, i guess we'll find out where the second tower was, maybe thats where the tower will move to, cause it seemed very secured from what kalani told us. it seems like a better idea to stay in LA because thats where ground zero is and that seems like it'll play a role in the story

StepLaugh
Feb 1st, 2011, 12:31 PM
Was this one of the first episodes besides the first ones that only had one story plot?

Servernode
Feb 1st, 2011, 01:01 PM
Perhaps...

Could it perhaps be right around here? Pretty close to Los Alamitos.

http://tinyurl.com/5ukcap2

tommy_vercetti
Feb 1st, 2011, 02:22 PM
I think greg did a good job as Pete

and I TBH I'd rather that the tower doesnt ally with anyone especially the mallers

megamanxzero35
Feb 1st, 2011, 02:25 PM
Could it perhaps be right around here? Pretty close to Los Alamitos.

http://tinyurl.com/5ukcap2

I hope so. Domino's Pizza is close so they can probably get delivery.

Bringing back Hope was awesome. Have a feeling she will play a bigger part in outing Kalani in whatever his past his. Or she can just inform more about the other tower, maybe even give some info on Ground Zero.

Greg's part sounded like any shop keeper in a RPG. May I show you my wares?

I think the obvious conclusion is that Michael and company are going to have to break out. Probably with Victor's help as he seems to hate being there and that is why he didn't want them to come. I think with a little sweet talk they will be able to win him over and stage a break out.

As for all these team ups, I don't know why everyone thinks a team up has to happen to get rid of another group. In fact, taking a cue from Egypt, I could even see a uprising and Marcus being dethroned and the Tower people moving in then. But while I could see that happening, I don't think it will. Ground Zero is in LA and so is Ink so I don't think we are leaving anytime soon.

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Feb 1st, 2011, 03:00 PM
All I have to say is that Michael really doesn't know how to STFU when in a strange place surrounded by strangers for an Intel guy, especially Psych Ops. Running his mouth instead of paying attention. Hell, I wanted to slap him for the doctor.

RamblinMike
Feb 1st, 2011, 03:26 PM
All I have to say is that Michael really doesn't know how to STFU when in a strange place surrounded by strangers for an Intel guy, especially Psych Ops. Running his mouth instead of paying attention. Hell, I wanted to slap him for the doctor.

Speaking of STFU, did anyone else notice when Kelly was coming into the room with Vic? She was saying, "[something... sounds like, 'lost'?] on the beach, and then one thing led to another, and then we ended up here." Sounds like she was speaking a bit freely with him. I figure that either this will come out poorly (in the form of Vic spilling the beans to Marcus, and then Marcus using it against them) or well (in the form of Vic choosing to side with the Tower and helping the three escape).

My reservations about The Colony, far from being dispelled, were further confirmed in this episode. Tanya says that when Hope arrived, "nobody wanted her around". Tanya had to take the blind 14yo zombie apocalypse survivor under her wing just to keep her around. I think that while the Colony may have good intentions (we'll see), they're highly self-serving. Has anyone considered that they might have turned Michael away not because he might be infected, but because his arm might be a burden? I'm guessing that if you can't help them, they don't want you, whether you're a soldier with an ugly arm injury or a destitute apocalypse survivor.

Anyhow, Vic's comments are still bugging me. "If you last a week, then we'll talk". That hasn't been explained yet. But there's obviously a lot of forced work going down, and I bet Vic and Ferdinand didn't choose to be scouts at Outpost One - hence the bitterness.

Kc
Feb 1st, 2011, 04:12 PM
"If you last a week, then we'll talk".
Wasn't exactly what he said...

tommy_vercetti
Feb 1st, 2011, 04:33 PM
Anyhow, Vic's comments are still bugging me. "If you last a week, then we'll talk". That hasn't been explained yet. But there's obviously a lot of forced work going down, and I bet Vic and Ferdinand didn't choose to be scouts at Outpost One - hence the bitterness.

Actually Vic says ''Talk to me in a week''

Re listen to chapter 18 part 1, around 4:25 minutes in he says it

Onslaught
Feb 1st, 2011, 05:54 PM
Bringing back Hope was awesome. Have a feeling she will play a bigger part in outing Kalani in whatever his past his. Or she can just inform more about the other tower, maybe even give some info on Ground Zero.
Maybe Kalani isn't telling them everything. I do think Hope will tell them something about Kalani that he doesn't want them to find out. Maybe its something he did at the tower or beforehand.

nikvoodoo
Feb 1st, 2011, 06:49 PM
Here's something we haven't mentioned yet: What was Tanya starting to say when Michael and she overlapped in the beginning of the episode. I didn't catch it the first time because I was on the subway, but I listened again and heard the overlap. Because that is obviously there for a reason. There are ways to fix that in post production if it were an accident while recording. Anybody able to catch what she started to say?

Walrusgus
Feb 1st, 2011, 09:13 PM
This was a really good episode. I had a feeling that they wouldn't be allowed to leave if they got in to the colony. Anyway here is what I think will happen:

-Either Kelly or Pegs will escape and get back to the tower to help Saul.

-They will come across Skittles and he will help escort either Kelly or Pegs to the tower.

-Saul will recover and the tower will go to attack the colony.

... and somehow they will all become friends and make an awesome city.

Hollomandious
Feb 1st, 2011, 09:42 PM

I haven't heard this thought yet. I believe the reason Vic is telling them to go away, is because he believes they may abandon their friends, as maybe he did. Guilt sucks.

But of course, not letting some people leave because of the asset that they are, and them being forced into my earlier thought, is just a pile of suck.

-Off Topic Side Thought-
And i have a hunch, that we're not gonna hear much more of this colony story line this chapter. I think 18-3 is gonna be this angel/kalani vs the big one all the way thru, just like 18-2 was all the colony stuff. And then, 19 will be all about the tower. hehehehe, puttin money down on this one [ok, not really]

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Feb 2nd, 2011, 07:28 AM
I'm sorry to say this, but 18/2 was the worst of the all the chapters for me. Michael, Kelly and Pegs all got on my damn nerves. At first I couldn't decide who I wanted to punch more, Mike or Pegs? Michael won out. His character has turned into this cat who should KNOW better than run his mouth at any given time.
Vic's continued warnings didn't tingle anyone's Spidy Senses one iota.
No military bearing left whatsoever! It's like he forgot all his training and deployed experience. The Hope thing was really the straw that broke the camels back for me. Lose lips sink ships and they sure went Pearl Harbor!
Pegs.. whoo wee! She's "Special"
I glad the doc put them in their places. I love her attitude! I can see Lizzy evolving into a person like her.

The Colony: Not cannibals. They have gardens and such. Survival of the fittest type? Hell yah. If you can't contribute, then you're outty. Makes perfect sense. Medical care for tenured servitude. Makes sense.
In the end, one of them is going to have to stay as a hostage of sorts, a bargaining chip if you will, to ensure whomever returns to the tower acts accordingly.
I'm actually more interested in seeing what happens with Angel, Kalani and Skittles.
I am wondering why Angel just doesn't try and head shot? He can fire from a supported position. Nothing chasing him and he has a clear target. It's clearly not going anywhere.
Ok, I'm done ranting.. LOL

RamblinMike
Feb 2nd, 2011, 05:59 PM
Wasn't exactly what he said...

My bad, I think the heebie-jeebies for the colony got the better of my memory.

Kc
Feb 2nd, 2011, 09:27 PM
My bad, I think the heebie-jeebies for the colony got the better of my memory.
No worries... There's a few particulars that I just try to keep clear... Makes for interesting theories.

nikvoodoo
Feb 2nd, 2011, 11:11 PM
Here's something we haven't mentioned yet: What was Tanya starting to say when Michael and she overlapped in the beginning of the episode. I didn't catch it the first time because I was on the subway, but I listened again and heard the overlap. Because that is obviously there for a reason. There are ways to fix that in post production if it were an accident while recording. Anybody able to catch what she started to say?

I think I finally caught what she was trying to say. She started to say "How did you know..." and then Michael cut her off. I still say this is an important part of the episode. At no time in my career in entertainment has a director allowed an actor to step over people's lines unless it was expressly called for in the script (and what the people were saying didn't need to be heard by the audience). I know what that exchange usually sounds like. This sounded nothing like that. There's nearly a two second delay between Michael's line "You're the reason we're here" and when both Michael and Tanya speak next.

Thoughts?

Ra1th
Feb 2nd, 2011, 11:53 PM
wait could u reframe the situation again, i remember this hickup clearly, cause i remember thinking oh wow the actors messed up, but if what u say is true then that opens a lot of possibilities. what did michael say that made tanya respond or begin to respond "how did u know"

nikvoodoo
Feb 3rd, 2011, 12:05 AM
wait could u reframe the situation again, i remember this hickup clearly, cause i remember thinking oh wow the actors messed up, but if what u say is true then that opens a lot of possibilities. what did michael say that made tanya respond or begin to respond "how did u know"

Starting at 1:03
Michael: Before you bar me, look at it. Its just a break. It wasn't set right and it's been the way it is now. No bite marks or anything just some bad discoloration
Tanya: I'm sorry but I'm not allowed to take any chances.
Michael: Ok, don't let me in that's fine. You're the reason we're here.

(Pause)
Michael: [We're looking for help...]
Tanya: [How did you know...]
(pause)

Michael: We're looking for...etc etc

The brackets and italics indicate the overlap.

If this were a live broadcast of a Radio Drama, I would have laughed and been like "Ah ha! Actor mess up!" but since this is recorded and spends time being edited, everything that KC allows into the final product is for a reason. I'm just wondering what the reason could be to have them overlap like this and have an awkward pause both before and after the overlap.

Had Michael just continued on saying "our friend is hurt and needs help and blah blah blah" this wouldn't be a big deal because you aren't supposed to hear or understand that Tanya tried to say anything. But since they paused and stopped, it's there for a reason.

Ra1th
Feb 3rd, 2011, 12:29 AM
thanks!

you're the reason we're here
how did you know...

this is hard... well i know that at a later point tanya says that she isnt doing her work by choice, maybe medical work isnt the only work she's doing, human experimention? it would fit since it was said that the hospital reaked of death and had an ominous tone to it. maybe she's looking to escape. lets say michael/pegs/kelly are forced to stay in the colony by Marcus, the facade of the colony breaks and its actually a hellhole, so they break out, and on their way out they take hope and tanya with them. Doctors are a very rare commodity and the colony now has a reason to come knocking on the tower door.

but back to the topic at hand, i think maybe the answer lies in the question itself as in what it's asking. you're the reason we're here could mean we're here for u the doctor. and then how did you know i was here. or could it be more? by you're the reason we're here, could he somehow have meant that they were here for tanya the person. I'm wondering if Michael knows more than he's letting the audience know, it wouldnt be the first time (broken arm story we're all itching to hear) maybe this has something to do with the boat, maybe he found something on the boat that he hid, maybe this has something to do with the broken arm story itself. we know michael was army intel, maybe he saw something, maybe the room was bugged and didnt want to give away what he knows.

Kc
Feb 3rd, 2011, 08:36 AM
thanks!

you're the reason we're here
how did you know...

this is hard... well i know that at a later point tanya says that she isnt doing her work by choice, maybe medical work isnt the only work she's doing, human experimention? it would fit since it was said that the hospital reaked of death and had an ominous tone to it. maybe she's looking to escape. lets say michael/pegs/kelly are forced to stay in the colony by Marcus, the facade of the colony breaks and its actually a hellhole, so they break out, and on their way out they take hope and tanya with them. Doctors are a very rare commodity and the colony now has a reason to come knocking on the tower door.

but back to the topic at hand, i think maybe the answer lies in the question itself as in what it's asking. you're the reason we're here could mean we're here for u the doctor. and then how did you know i was here. or could it be more? by you're the reason we're here, could he somehow have meant that they were here for tanya the person. I'm wondering if Michael knows more than he's letting the audience know, it wouldnt be the first time (broken arm story we're all itching to hear) maybe this has something to do with the boat, maybe he found something on the boat that he hid, maybe this has something to do with the broken arm story itself. we know michael was army intel, maybe he saw something, maybe the room was bugged and didnt want to give away what he knows.

Or... it's common for people to step on each other when they talk. Before anyone goes diving in too deep on this one I can explain my reasoning on this one. When I'm going through and editing segments of dialogue there's a certain energy that a person takes to a scene. Michael's first line had a certain amount of energy, and then he went forward, started a line, stopped himself, and did it again, but this 2nd time the energy level didn't match. When I took both lines and did one after the other, it felt disjointed. So I turned the time he stopped himself in the line, put a piece of Tanya's line from another area in to make it seem like two people naturally interrupt each other. I felt it also added a piece of realism in the pacing because people do talk over each other, especially when talking over the phone or through a box with someone you can't see.

So, it was a combination of things.

nikvoodoo
Feb 3rd, 2011, 09:40 AM
Touche master kc. Touche.

Big Fish
Feb 3rd, 2011, 11:34 AM
I actually just assumed that she was talking to someone in the background, and happened to have her mic still on at the time.

nikvoodoo
Feb 3rd, 2011, 11:53 AM
I mean, obviously we all know that people interrupt each other when speaking. It just seemed different to me this time. I completely understand KC's point, and I stand corrected.

Kc
Feb 3rd, 2011, 03:00 PM
I mean, obviously we all know that people interrupt each other when speaking. It just seemed different to me this time. I completely understand KC's point, and I stand corrected.
No worries, I just wanted to clarify- otherwise someone might consider it a loose end.

Zombiehead
Feb 4th, 2011, 07:06 PM
I really do enjoy the amount of strong female leads in this story Kc. I can't stand horror stories where the girls trip and lay on the ground kicking until someone comes to get them. I expect a certain amount of girliness but in a zombie apocalypse it should show in their character why each survived so long. Great development with this new doctor. Michael is one of my top 3 favorites but sometimes I just want someone to hit him in the face ... really hard. But I'll settle for the re-breaking of his arm.

Ra1th
Feb 4th, 2011, 07:19 PM
I really do enjoy the amount of strong female leads in this story Kc. I can't stand horror stories where the girls trip and lay on the ground kicking until someone comes to get them.

*cough* pegs *cough cough*

well not so much anymore hahaha

SleepyGlenn
Feb 5th, 2011, 12:28 PM
I thought this episode was really interesting. Needless to say, I think the Colony is not the happiest place to live. I'm not an experienced We're Alive analyst like you guys but personally I think Hope will come back to the Tower to see Saul. She may be blind but she must have had a little training treating people. I think she'd add an interesting addition to the Tower's residents. What makes the Tower different than the Colony is that they would take anyone in without question.

Maybe Kalani isn't telling them everything. I do think Hope will tell them something about Kalani that he doesn't want them to find out. Maybe its something he did at the tower or beforehand.

I hadn't thought about this but it would be fantastic!

Onslaught
Feb 5th, 2011, 12:35 PM
I'm not an experienced We're Alive analyst like you guys but personally I think Hope will come back to the Tower to see Saul. She may be blind but she must have had a little training treating people. I think she'd add an interesting addition to the Tower's residents.
Interesting, I hadn't thought of Hope being the one going to the tower. It might happen, but I think they would either bring Saul to the colony or somehow escape and take the doctor with them than take a blind girl to help a dying man.

What makes the Tower different than the Colony is that they would take anyone in without question.
This is also one of the towers many faults. This could be how a spy got in.

SleepyGlenn
Feb 5th, 2011, 12:57 PM
Interesting, I hadn't thought of Hope being the one going to the tower. It might happen, but I think they would either bring Saul to the colony or somehow escape and take the doctor with them than take a blind girl to help a dying man.

This is also one of the towers many faults. This could be how a spy got in.

Oh no, I totally agree they'd try and get the Doctor out too. I have this strange feeling she might die in the escape attempt though. She's obviously fond of the girl, I'm thinking some sort of sacrifice scenario might come up. It just seems too easy for the Towerites to have a qualified doctor living with them. A blind teenager seems much more like their luck. :-p

As for the Tower being too welcoming, I suppose you're right. At least they don't make people strip every time they come in though! I mean... Bert lives there. Nobody wants to see that.

Onslaught
Feb 5th, 2011, 01:00 PM
As for the Tower being too welcoming, I suppose you're right. At least they don't make people strip every time they come in though! I mean... Bert lives there. Nobody wants to see that.
LOL that's just wrong, not sure which is worse being the one who has to strip or being the one who watches it.

SleepyGlenn
Feb 5th, 2011, 03:35 PM
LOL that's just wrong, not sure which is worse being the one who has to strip or being the one who watches it.

Lets just say now we know why Hope went blind.

RamblinMike
Feb 6th, 2011, 04:15 PM
Has anyone thought about the reference to The Wizard of Oz in the title? Does it only apply to the fact that they're far away from home and will soon wish to be back, or will they discover that L.A. had mostly what they needed all along?

SleepyGlenn
Feb 6th, 2011, 04:25 PM
Has anyone thought about the reference to The Wizard of Oz in the title? Does it only apply to the fact that they're far away from home and will soon wish to be back, or will they discover that L.A. had mostly what they needed all along?

Totally. I think maybe they'll realize that the Tower really is their home and that they shouldn't abandon it. As for finding help for Saul in LA... I'm not sure. I think they needed to go on this trip. It remains to be seen what will come from it!

As for the Oz parallel, could Marcus (leader of the Colony) be a Wizard like character? Offering to grant our heroes' wishes but turn out to be a fraud?

Pteranodon
Feb 10th, 2011, 11:20 AM
I think they'll have to kidnap the Doctor from the Colony and drag her back to help Saul; the 'Colonists' won't help them otherwise.

DeadMen_Walking
Dec 18th, 2012, 01:20 PM
Was introducing us to Hope being Samantha's daughter good or bad for Hope? I like the doc. Reminds me of Doc Stephens from TWD (comics)

Elisa
Dec 20th, 2012, 11:53 AM
Was introducing us to Hope being Samantha's daughter good or bad for Hope? I like the doc. Reminds me of Doc Stephens from TWD (comics) Hope kinda annoys me but I am awaiting something special or some deep insight from her on the zombie origins or a means of destroying the evil bastards. Wishful thinking maybe??:D

Alizée
Sep 3rd, 2013, 04:25 PM
I'm really enjoying The Colony's theme music. It reminds me of LOTR! :D