PDA

View Full Version : The New Dead Island Trailer

StepLaugh
Feb 16th, 2011, 12:51 PM
http://www.ign.com/videos/2011/02/16/dead-island-announcement-trailer

What do you guys think?

fraggot
Feb 16th, 2011, 01:37 PM
Damn this game has been quiet for a long time until now. If the amount of attention and detail that went into that CGI Trailer goes into the game, it'll be good. I just wonder what they can bring new to the zombie survival horror genre.

StepLaugh
Feb 16th, 2011, 01:43 PM
I agree.

I don't honestly think I've ever really seen a game like this act like a "Cloverfield" camera.

Kc
Feb 16th, 2011, 01:50 PM
I agree.

I don't honestly think I've ever really seen a game like this act like a "Cloverfield" camera.
I can't express how amazing it looks.

Meeks
Feb 16th, 2011, 02:32 PM
I saw it this morning when KC posted it on Facebook, and my jaw completely dropped. I'm a big sucker for zombie games, and this seemed to have alot more behind it than "go kill zombies, win the game". I really look forward to this.

Ra1th
Feb 16th, 2011, 03:19 PM
holy balls that trailer was depressing! i wonder what the gameplay will be like

Kc
Feb 16th, 2011, 03:22 PM
holy balls that trailer was depressing! i wonder what the gameplay will be like
Looks like Dead Rising meets Farcry.

StepLaugh
Feb 16th, 2011, 03:55 PM
Really? Looks like a Heavy Rain kinda game to me.

How interesting would that be if they played the emotional part of a zombie breakout? Not just all killing...like WA!

Sir Bob Cornelius Rifo
Feb 16th, 2011, 05:09 PM
I sure am hyped for it after seeing the trailer.

Ra1th
Feb 16th, 2011, 09:56 PM
i can definitely see the how this could be like heavy rain, man if this is another ps3 exclusive im gonna be soo pissed

nikvoodoo
Feb 16th, 2011, 10:37 PM
That does look pretty damn cool. It reminds me of the Burn Notice ad before the fall season began this year with the whole reversing to tell the story line. It begins with all this gunfire and explosions and eventually rewinds back to Sam sitting at a table with a beer, and Michael holding a dossier that gets shot by a sniper.

fraggot
Feb 17th, 2011, 01:19 PM
I just can't wait to see some actual gameplay of it, hopefully it's not disappointing at all. If it's anything like Left 4 Dead, it'll be a winner in my books. It looks like it'll be more story heavy versus Left 4 Dead, but that's not a bad thing.

Zombiehead
Feb 17th, 2011, 04:11 PM
My favorite part is when the little girl turned. Zombie kids rule. Crawling torsos are better.

Wicked Sid
Feb 17th, 2011, 04:12 PM
My favorite part is when the little girl turned. Zombie kids rule. Crawling torsos are better.

What about crawling kid torsos...? *Shiver*

Pteranodon
Feb 17th, 2011, 10:15 PM
Saw it today thanks to BoingBoing..... (knew someone would mention it here!) closest I've ever come to tears from a video game trailer.... but the Hawaiian-shirt zombie looks COOL!

(trying not to rant here) They really made something sublime out of this silly video game preview....

fraggot
Feb 18th, 2011, 08:42 AM
i can definitely see the how this could be like heavy rain, man if this is another ps3 exclusive im gonna be soo pissed

Nah, it's coming out for Xbox, 360 and PC according to numerous sources.

Reddeyez32
Feb 18th, 2011, 11:09 AM
Wow that trailer was awesome. Made you make a emotional contact with it. Definitely going to pick this up when it comes out.

Ra1th
Feb 18th, 2011, 11:58 PM
someone once started a thread asking why the we're alive crew doesnt use melee weapons, i'd like to reference this trailer as exactly why we dont use melee weapons.

Ra1th
Feb 19th, 2011, 12:03 AM
http://www.ign.com/videos/2011/02/18/ign-rewind-theater-dead-island-announcement-trailer?show=HD

interesting analysis, so its gonna be first person melee combat? i'd just like to say that melee fighting zombies would suck i'll take firearms any day, unless i had a lightsaber or somethign that would change things

OmegaBlackZero
Feb 19th, 2011, 02:19 AM
They are attempting to create a "zombie simulation" on an island resort, so finding firearms is going to be much more rare than they are in most zombie stories. Personally, I think their approach on less firearms and more melee is a great approach, and will make the game much more tense than other previous games. Left 4 Dead for example never had you really worried about ammo and firearms, they were always available and conservation was never a big deal, but at the same time, the only way that L4D achieved any suspense was by throwing large numbers at you in a frantic pace. There really was never any sort of emotion attachment in the game, which, in my opinion, is one of the most important aspects of any great zombie story. I'm praying that Dead Island will put a strong emphasis on the emotional aspects and character development.

OmegaBlackZero
Feb 19th, 2011, 02:21 AM
Oh Lord.

I was watching the trailer again because it's that epic, and my little 10 year old brother walked in. He gave me a big hug and was like, "We're going to be best friends forever." He and I are pretty close, so he's always saying stuff like that. He looked over and saw the last few seconds of the trailer, enough to know that there were zombies in it. The he said, "I hope there's a zombie apocalypse one day, so that we can kill zombies together. That would be really fun." For a morbid second, I imagined what it would be like if something similar to that trailer happened to him and me. It was all I could do not to tear up.

So I said, "Actually, I don't think it would be that fun. 'Cuz at least one person you knew would become a zombie."

He thought about that for a minute, then he said, "If you were a zombie, I'd let you bite me so that we could be zombies together. But if I was a zombie and you didn't want to be one, you could kill me if you wanted."

I pretty much broke down right then."

I read this on the gamefaqs forum about Dead Island, figured I share. Thought it was touching.

StepLaugh
Feb 19th, 2011, 03:46 AM
You guys might find this interesting.

It's the whole trailer played forwards.

http://www.ign.com/videos/2011/02/16/dead-island-backwards-forwards-announcement-trailer?objectid=955540

SleepyGlenn
Feb 19th, 2011, 03:50 PM
I thought it was cool, but can't say I was particularly moved by it! Am I heartless?

Techland FTW though, I like them.

nikvoodoo
Feb 23rd, 2011, 05:50 AM
Adventureless hero posted a new thread about the same thing. I'm on my phone right now, so I'm just cutting and pasting his post to here. I'll try to make this cleaner when I can get to my lappy.

I hope this doesn't count as advertising or anything. I just thought I'd share this video game trailer I saw the other day. In my opinion, it is the best one I've ever seen. The game may turn out to suck but as far as the trailer is concerned, great!

http://au.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/deadisland/video/6299756/dead-island-cgi-trailer?tag=related_video%3Btitle%3B3

The more I watch it, the harder it is to stomach. It starts to feel to close to home. I have a small family; just me, my wife, and my daughter. We often spend our daughters birthday at the beach, so that coupled with my love/fear of zombies makes this video both painful and enjoyable. I just tell myself, don't be that family, be better than them. Survive!

lol, yeah, it's a cool trailer.

Pteranodon
Feb 23rd, 2011, 12:56 PM
I thought it was cool, but can't say I was particularly moved by it! Am I heartless?

Techland FTW though, I like them.

Yes you're soulless and inhuman. You've obviously been bitten and are in mid-"turning" process. I saw "28 Days Later", I know what happened to all you United Kingdomites.... (CAUTION: do not take a word of this post seriously! Mwahahahaaaa......)

Onslaught
Feb 24th, 2011, 09:33 AM
You know the game isn't even about this family, this is supposedly what the movie is going to be about, so really its a trailer for the movie which is kind of based on a game.

Adventureless_Hero
Feb 24th, 2011, 02:29 PM
Wow, I'm lazy. Thanks for moving my post nikvoodoo. Sorry I keep creating threads for existing shtuff man, but someone has to make sure the mods are doing something besides shooting rubberbands at empty Mt. Dew bottles. ;)

My wife recently watched this trailer with me. She's quite the emotional type so when by the end of the trailer, when the father smiles slightly on being reunited with his daughter, she was brought to tears.

I do believe that if the game is able to develop this kind of emotional intensity as you play, then it will at the very least please me.

Onslaught
Feb 24th, 2011, 02:35 PM
You guys might find this interesting.

It's the whole trailer played forwards.

http://www.ign.com/videos/2011/02/16/dead-island-backwards-forwards-announcement-trailer?objectid=955540
Oh jesus, I watched this and on it there was a must watch video called Dead Island Literal Trailer. They're making fun of the trailer and I just couldn't stop myself from laughing. It was just so screwed up.

EDIT: http://www.ign.com/videos/2011/02/23/dead-island-literal-trailer

ObamaCat
Feb 24th, 2011, 10:09 PM
She looks excited, is it Christmas? No.....

Haha, is it wrong that I laughed at that?

Hollomandious
Feb 24th, 2011, 10:28 PM
That was one sad ass trailer. Wow.

Anyone else think of Hope when the lil one was falling upwards? heh.

Onslaught
Feb 25th, 2011, 04:48 PM
She looks excited, is it Christmas? No.....

Haha, is it wrong that I laughed at that?
No I laughed especially hard at the part 'Hugging Dad, WAIT, she's a zombie.' The song actually started to fit the scenes really well during the second half of the trailer.

Zombiehead
Feb 25th, 2011, 06:45 PM
@Onslaught

You beat me to it.

Dad's a badass. Flirt with the zombie. After he kills her boyfriend.

Hilarious!

ObamaCat
Feb 25th, 2011, 11:01 PM
The whole video is hilarious, Tobuscus does a great job with all his song parodies. The Halo Reach one is a favorite of mine as well.

cPT.cAPSLOCK
Apr 3rd, 2011, 03:29 AM
They just released an interview regarding the game's setting, gameplay, and so forth:
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/gdc-11-dead-island/711224

Sounds good to me, though they do not give that much info. Definitely looking forward to more.