PDA

View Full Version : Your Zombie-Apocalypse Profession?

Hikaro
Jan 27th, 2011, 08:22 AM
When the zombie apocalypse comes, assuming you survive long enough to group up with a bunch of other survivors what would your likely job be?
If your current profession is applicable it would probably decide your job. A doctor or a soldier would most certainly be needed. Otherwise, you can think about special skills and hobbies.

Example:
I'm a student going into a major that doesn't really apply to the zombie apocalypse. So instead, my other traits come into play.
1.I am a night person, I can stay up until 6 or 7 in the morning easily. This doesn't help much in the current world, but it would prove useful since we would need a lookout.
2.I'm learning multiple languages so I might also serve as a translator.
3.I helped in construction for a year, so I also know the basics of construction and am relatively fit. So I could help out a lot with the defenses.

TCM Revolver
Jan 27th, 2011, 08:56 AM
When the zombie apocalypse comes, assuming you survive long enough to group up with a bunch of other survivors what would your likely job be?
If your current profession is applicable it would probably decide your job. A doctor or a soldier would most certainly be needed. Otherwise, you can think about special skills and hobbies.

Example:
I'm a student going into a major that doesn't really apply to the zombie apocalypse. So instead, my other traits come into play.
1.I am a night person, I can stay up until 6 or 7 in the morning easily. This doesn't help much in the current world, but it would prove useful since we would need a lookout.
3.I helped in construction for a year, so I also know the basics of construction and am relatively fit. So I could help out a lot with the defenses.

First of all, Cool post +1

I work for a communications company, I would be able to set up a security system and internal network. You can't live in South Dakota w/o being proficient in at least one type of rifle/shotgun.
Also am quite the handyman, so helping fortify "the tower" and general up keep.
Oh, and I spent 8 years as a Chef, so my cooking would be better than Pegs. :p

Hollomandious
Jan 27th, 2011, 03:21 PM

Example:

I'd be decoy. As in the one that gets eaten while all the other more qualified survivors get away.

That's a pretty important job. Ain't it?

fraggot
Jan 27th, 2011, 08:44 PM
Well I am a graphic artist, so that's not going to come into play very much. But in that same sense, I do have a bit of creativity in my head so I could easily throw out some good ideas. Ummm, I have very strong legs and am a fast runner.

cycogod
Jan 28th, 2011, 09:42 AM
Electrician , i would be dead the first day of any outbreak.I have asthma - DONE !

Ra1th
Jan 28th, 2011, 02:19 PM
too bad im a comp sci major, im pretty much useless in the zombie apocalypse hahaha, but i can run like hell and i know how to shoot, so thats gotta count for something right? if i could pick a job, i'd prly wanna try intell, with angel and michael, but that seems to be an exclusive club so i'd prly try for motorpool

Kc
Jan 28th, 2011, 02:42 PM
too bad im a comp sci major, im pretty much useless in the zombie apocalypse hahaha, but i can run like hell and i know how to shoot, so thats gotta count for something right? if i could pick a job, i'd prly wanna try intell, with angel and michael, but that seems to be an exclusive club so i'd prly try for motorpool

Wait, computer science major? In what area? You might be more useful now! :)

StepLaugh
Jan 28th, 2011, 03:00 PM
Yeah, I've got a degree in electrical engineering. And now going for a 4 year for computer science too.

I can see that i'd have to team up with Ra1th, cause he wants to do exactly the same things I wanna do. I'm a skinny man, so I'll be able to out run them pretty easy, as long as I give up smoking. Zombies don't think smoking makes you look cool BTW. haha

I The K Train I
Jan 28th, 2011, 03:52 PM
Yeah.... I have no education and work in a call center. I suppose I would go where I was needed. Be on patrol or supply runs. That kind of stuff. As long as I was with someone experienced with firearms and was taught how to use one I wouldn't mind where I was.

Also, my food isn't gruel. I could cook stuff at times if there wasn't anyone better :P

cPT.cAPSLOCK
Jan 29th, 2011, 07:18 AM
I have decent medical knowledge, as my family contains several doctors. Also, my brother is going to med school, so when I'm home, I often pick up stuff from conversations between him and my father (who's also a doctor) too.

Other skills that might be valueable are that I don't get stressed out quickly, and I can quickly analyse what's happening and where things (could) go wrong. Because of that, I can keep a view on the bigger picture, while people with more specific skills or knowledge can focus on the aspects that they know best.

Additionally, I'm pretty good at math and physics (if we'd ever need to know something like how long the fuel in the generator would last, when improving its efficiency, etc.) and I'm good with boats. If we'd ever find one, whether it has sails and/or an engine), I've got a few years of experience with them that can help us repair and use it. Some of this knowledge can also be used in different situations, for example by building vehicles similar to beach sailers (http://mw2.google.com/mw-panoramio/photos/medium/3740963.jpg).

Finally, if the outbreak can wait a couple of years I'll have my Bachelor and Master for Mechanical Engineering.

There's one massive downside to having me on the team, however: I'm not very mobile. I can walk at a regular pace for roughly ten minutes, but after that I'll need two hours to sit or lay down, coupled with some painkillers.
(I guess that renders me safe from having to go on patrols though ^^)

Wicked Sid
Jan 29th, 2011, 09:33 AM
Looks like we have a fine group of survivors here. I'd have any one of you welcomed into my colony.

As I said in the Hell breaks loose thread, I'm not too bad at welding, I'm cool-headed and I think of multiple ways to attack a problem. The same as Cpt. if the outbreak waits a couple years I'll be able to ration and mix fuels, Chemical engineering. I may be young but I am very mature.

I'm not too terrible at tracking, its in my heritage and I've done it a few times. As with stealth, although I'm a little clumsy, I paintball in the woods so, I tend to sneak to gain advantage over the other team. I'm very good at following direction and anything you take the time to teach me I'll be able to perform at a very efficient level. If it comes to it, I will take control of the situation. I'm quite quick for my size but, stamina is a problem as I don't tend to pace myself.

I'm a great listener so, if you need some impromptu therapy, I'm your guy. One of the only downsides is that my mind is too active, it causes me to work on multiple things at the same time possibly leaving some things subpar or unfinished. It can also affect my sleep patterns forcing me to stay up late and ponder.

jiwasz
Jan 30th, 2011, 11:28 AM
I probably wouldn't last very long if they were the fast zombies. I have some stamina, but I'm not a terribly fast runner. In real life, I've been a software developer, development lead and architect with 15+ years experience. I've led large teams and can manage, organize and lead. Hobbies include barbequing and cooking. I'm certain I can do better than Pegs. I also homebrew - granted, it's not essential, but it does help morale. Again, not terribly useful either, but I do enjoy photography, especially wildlife, which may help with recon. By way of secondary skills, I did help a friend study for their HAM radio operator's license. If I had to I probably could muddle my way around antenna construction and shortwave radio operation. I also accompanied a friend of mine on his sail boat several times and helped sail and could, if needed, work a mid-sized sailboat.

Spud
Jan 30th, 2011, 11:46 AM
im going to school to become a Paramedic, so right now i know advanced first aid and saying this Gore and stuff like that dosnt really bug me anymore *ive seen some pretty funky stuff going into this field*
handling a gun wouldnt be a problem also so if i was in a colony of people id say my purpose would be

1. Field medic
2. Gaurd
3. guy that moves all the heavy crap

wooly
Jan 31st, 2011, 01:38 AM
I think I would do ok for a while and would be an asset to a survivor group. Career ER/trauma nurse, general class ham radio operator, and I compete with rifle & pistol as hobbies (I also reload my own ammunition and do my own amateur gunsmithing). Plus a ton of previous experience as a kid working on farms and at construction along with the boy scouts.

Actually, I would probably be among the first to go as I would likely be on duty at the ER during the initial outbreak and panic. Probably the worst place in the world to be at that time would be a hospital, eh? The recently turned going after the unarmed staff and all while thousands of people crowd the place for help that isn't really coming. That would make an excellent short story, now that I think about it.

Not that I really want to find out either way, but it's interesting to imagine :)

mascaria
Jan 31st, 2011, 10:03 AM
Haha I'm going to be going to school for sociology so I'd be kind of useless unless the zombies start to form a society. Then I'd be able to write long papers about the injustices of said society and how their society might be better served if they, you know, stop eating people!

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Jan 31st, 2011, 10:47 AM
Well, I have a bunch of "Man vs Wild" DVDs... LOL.

Wicked Sid
Jan 31st, 2011, 12:16 PM
Then I'd be able to write long papers about the injustices of said society and how their society might be better served if they, you know, stop eating people!

That's totally a biased opinion from one of those people who'd be eaten.

mascaria
Jan 31st, 2011, 12:27 PM
Well, I have a bunch of "Man vs Wild" DVDs... LOL.

This could actually be useful if we can power up DVD players.

That's totally a biased opinion from one of those people who'd be eaten.

Fine then we can burn my papers for fuel.

Hollomandious
Jan 31st, 2011, 12:31 PM
Fine then we can burn my papers for fuel.

And I'll play decoy/bait so that the plan can go down.

BREAK!

Hikaro
Feb 4th, 2011, 04:28 AM
well if they are like the zombies in were alive, the change would happen so quick that you wouldn't really get many more zombies in the hospital than anywhere else. If the change takes a long time (probably more likely), then you will indeed be in the wrong place. that would probably be an interesting story though.

Ra1th
Feb 10th, 2011, 03:35 PM
Wait, computer science major? In what area? You might be more useful now! :)

haha unfortunately, im a freshmen who just chose a comp sci major, so i dont really know much programming at all, i'm learning java, but for the most part my classes are all still general education

Onslaught
Feb 12th, 2011, 06:46 AM
Lets see... I live in the middle of nowhere... in Kansas... with a bunch of guns... I'm in cross country... and I'm very good at computers.

kjarman
Feb 13th, 2011, 08:21 AM
Lets see... I live in the middle of nowhere in Kansas... We have a bunch of guns... and I'm in cross country... and very good at computers.

Another Kansan huh? Wichita here myself

I do IT work at a medium sized machine shop, and included with that is the security camera system, so I suppose I could keep that up and running. I do also know how to shoot a pistol, so I'd probably be better served as defense rather than going out for supply runs though.

Zombiehead
Feb 15th, 2011, 09:05 PM
I have no useful talents, but I will learn how to shoot and maintain every weapon I find very quickly.

Reddeyez32
Feb 18th, 2011, 11:21 AM
I'm a Film & Television student so my studies wouldn't have much use other than the creativity and imagination aspect. Good thing I been hunting for 15+ years and know a ton about cooking and food preservation.

Hoss
Feb 18th, 2011, 09:59 PM
I fly planes and I'm a great shot with a pistol and even better with a rifle (not to brag, well, maybe a bit). I'll eat almost anything. I figure some post zombie apocalypse Twinkies ought to be worth fighting for. I'm a good planner so I've already got a "grab and haul butt bag" filled with proper supplies. Not specifically for zombies, but I suppose it'll work in a pinch.

yarri
Mar 10th, 2011, 08:36 AM
I am a nurse. I have a good many skills in that field or a grasp on the theory of how to do more. I can clean, card, and spin wool or wool type product into yarn. I can knit socks and other much needed items. I can cook and preserve food. I am a decent shot and I will get better.

Onslaught
Mar 10th, 2011, 05:36 PM
Just realized I didn't answer this, yeah so if I was a human in the apocalypse I would be the guy that falls asleep at his post and lets the zombies in which kill all my friends and family and I would wake up and be the only one that gets away.

However if I was a zombie I would be canon fodder. You know, the ones that run in front of all of the others and clear the mine field.

cPT.cAPSLOCK
Mar 15th, 2011, 01:07 PM
Just realized I didn't answer this, yeah so if I was a human in the apocalypse I would be the guy that falls asleep at his post and lets the zombies in which kill all my friends and family and I would wake up and be the only one that gets away.

However if I was a zombie I would be canon fodder. You know, the ones that run in front of all of the others and clear the mine field.

The title was a little misleading, but this topic is about what job you would get as a survivor during the apocalypse instead of what you would be like as a zombie ;)

AdrianHD
Mar 21st, 2011, 04:50 PM
Hopefully this isn't too big of a bump.

I'm a writer, so needless to say, I'd be the go-to person if you need to read someone's journal! I took psychology for a year during high school. I explored it a bit out of class which might help when it comes to being level-headed or being a person people can talk to. I have decent aim on a gun too, so I wouldn't be totally out of the game either!

MrScott101
Mar 21st, 2011, 05:11 PM
I'm a production Artist which doesn't help right now, but I was a cook then italian chef for a combination of 9 years prior, so I can make some good eats. I know a little bit about a lot of stuff and really good at thinking outside the box. Was really into building things from junk so i'd be decent at converting things to what we need. Not too bad at math but not good enough to really use it other than rationing. I do a lot of paintball too but I'm a smoker so I'm good for short bursts. Otherwise I'm a great overnight watch person, I can't get to sleep until well after everyone else. Oh yeah and I'm good at little alarm type traps!

8kdznloco
Mar 23rd, 2011, 09:09 PM
Let’s see my experience:
Prior military combat engineer
5 years construction
12 years in management
Hobbies:
Hunting
Fishing
Camping
Hiking
Geocaching
I think I would be the quiet person that is always helping out from the background. Or I would be more like Burt lol.....

Carl R-tistik Springer
Mar 26th, 2011, 01:45 PM
well im a Newbie artist thats studies alot of human anatomy to draw better people (not really handy there0
and i quite a good cook also so i guess everyone will keep me in the tower unlike Lizzy :D

Pikepaw
Mar 27th, 2011, 11:55 PM
I'm 19, so I'm young and strong. I take Muay Thai and have experience in Karate and Ju-jitsu. I own two machetes, one sword, two "big" knives and several pocket knives. I can carry most of these on my person with my belts and keep my hands free. I also have a couple of rifles and a handgun that I have some experience in using. There are many better marksman out there, but I am not horrible. I keep in good physical shape, can run fast and I have lots of endurance, especially if zombies are chasing me. So I could be used as a diversion and probably get away to meet up with the team later.

I can carry a fair amount of gear, though it would impact my top speed. I also have the zombie survival guide memorized, so I can tell you what it says about certain ideas. There is some construction experience in my background, but far more demolition, so if we need to take out a wall to escape, I can do that, unless it was like an insane wall. If we don't have access to razors, I will not complain about having to grow a beard. Lastly I'm a very positive person with good jokes to keep up moral

My one big zombie related weakness is that I'm not very stealthy, though I am working on this. But if you need someone big and loud to attack them to draw their attention, I'm your man.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Zlm2qsm4NE&feature=channel_video_title
that should show some of my preparedness.

Walrusgus
Mar 28th, 2011, 12:55 AM
I'm a skinny man, so I'll be able to out run them pretty easy, as long as I give up smoking. Zombies don't think smoking makes you look cool BTW. haha

Hell yeah! haha.

I would probably be a decent scavenger or something. I count myself as having a good eye. Im a national representative for running so I should be ok to outrun zombies or be quick in quick out of an area. I consider myself patient to scout an area or be a watch guard as well. I know first aid and am qualified to take hiking/tramping tours, so I am use to carrying heavy packs.

Likely Possible Jobs:
Scavenger
Guard

j0be
Mar 28th, 2011, 08:22 AM
I've been staving off posting to this thread, but here it goes.

I'm a highly technical handyman. I love fixing things, whether they be electronic or not. I have a minor knowledge of PCB's, so that would help with that.
I also am an excellent chef. Lot's of food in my repertoire. I had to find ways to keep food interesting in college.

My biggest detractor is that I'm not overly fit. I'm not Kalani, but I'm still no Michael or Skittles.

Rock Daddy
Mar 28th, 2011, 11:54 AM
Great post! hmm Not sure. I'm an artist... In a post apocalyptic world, that's pretty useless. However, I do have a creative/problem solving mind, a visual memory, a sharp eye, and I'm a fast runner. I would prob either be some type of scout or scavenger or I'd be taking the jobs inside that no one really wants. I'm also the guy everyone likes to ask for advice or bitch about someone else to. haha

mem
Mar 28th, 2011, 11:57 AM
i've worked in procurement and now am in information technology. I'd probably be one of the Redshirts on a scavenging mission.

riskbreaker23
Mar 28th, 2011, 12:59 PM
I'm studying to be a firefighter/paramedic. I'm sure I could have some uses. Heck, if I was at the tower I could've put out that fire before it even began. Which I'm curious how the fire spread so fast with 3 or 4 extinguishers on the scene within minutes of initial ignition. Must've been a lot of blankets, or curtains. Could have also been a very BIG molotov, but yeah.

Joosbawx
Apr 12th, 2011, 05:10 AM
sorry if this is too big of a bump, but I really like this thread!

I'm work on IT, so not a lot that directly translates to zombie survival there except supervisory/management experience and working with security cameras and video networking in addition to the normal computer networking. I'm am a member of a rabid Airsoft team that have been playing competively for four years, so I have a fairly good grasp of leading squad tactics in close quarters and field scenarios. I'm stealthy and patient and a decent shot; however, I have pretty poor eyesight without corrective lenses. I am very organized and possess an excellent memory, can turn a pile of wood into just about any kind of structure imaginable, have a head for mathematics (thank you computer science), cook dinner more often than my wife, and I have an excellent memory. I enjoy long walks on the beach at sunset and cozying up next to the fire with a good book. (hehehe...see what I did there?) when push comes to shove I prefer to let others lead, but won't hesitate to express my opinion when I feel it is either beneficial or necessary.

basically I'd do whatever needs to be done at the time, but would probably be best at inventory or security or construction.

yarri
Apr 12th, 2011, 05:12 AM
sorry if this is too big of a bump, but I really like this thread!

. I enjoy long walks on the beach at sunset and cozying up next to the fire with a good book. (hehehe...see what I did there?) when push comes to shove I prefer to let others lead, but won't hesitate to express my opinion when I feel it is either beneficial or necessary.

basically I'd do whatever needs to be done at the time, but would probably be best at inventory or security or construction.

Nice!... :D

Saint
Apr 12th, 2011, 06:39 AM
I'm a know-it-all with just enough "experience" to convince others I do and too little to know I don't.
I'd be the planner and "what if" arguer - getting everyone stuck in analysis-paralysis; so I'd probably be on night guard duty a lot and be special assistant to the first deputy of the second in command of wherever I was...of course my wife would probably be the commander of wherever we found ourselves.

Luna Guardian
Apr 12th, 2011, 07:09 AM
Awesome topic! Now, let's see... <br />
<br />
I am a student with a major that won't really help me (unless the zombies need someone to manage the large amounts of capital they suddenly find themselves in...

Leedo2502
Apr 28th, 2011, 05:27 PM
Well I am currently a Poli Sci/History Major that is going to start working in International Affairs, not very practical. I have, on the otherhand, served the last 15 years as an 11B in the US Army both active and in the Reserves (unfortunatly I don't have the keys to the Arms Room.) I am a more than good shot and I've been through the Small Arms Instructor Course so that'll be handy. On the negative side I am a picky eater, I don't like to hunt, and usless doing any kind of handywork.

Eitri
Apr 28th, 2011, 05:53 PM
1: I'm good with tools so i can build or repair defences or buildings.
2: I'm a good shot with a bow and a gun/rifle
3: I'm light footed so i can walk around all Ninja like.
4: i'm In a JROTC program so i can be a leader
5: I'm open to learn how to do other things that i do not know how to do, im a jack of all trades!
I rest my case

Osiris
May 9th, 2011, 07:58 PM
Building. I'm in my 4th year apprenticeship for carpentry, framing for 6... so I'll be building, reinforcing, modifying buildings and structures to suit survival needs.

Tandem25
May 9th, 2011, 08:15 PM
Search and Rescue
Medic
Emergency Response
Firefighter
Welder/ Fabricator
Marksman
Gardener
Cook
...whatever is needed I guess.

Luna Guardian
May 10th, 2011, 03:51 AM
That's awesome Tandem!

You can sit next to me :p

Dooi
Dec 18th, 2020, 07:16 AM
Hmmm, my real job will be nice to the zombie apocalypse. I lost my job because of the covid and found the new one on https://uk.jooble.org/jobs-hgv-driver/Northern-Ireland and now I am working as a driver. I suppose that this profession is rather helpful in the period of zombie-apocalypse and I am even not bad in the extreme driving and I could make some tricks and to save you from zombies at the last moment before they caught you.