PDA

View Full Version : If all hell broke loose right now, what would you do?

Pages : [1] 2

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Jan 26th, 2011, 10:47 AM
Ok Troops! What's your plan when the Eat'em Ups appear?
Do you actually have weapons at home?
Would you board up your house or find a better location?

cPT.cAPSLOCK
Jan 26th, 2011, 11:10 AM
I have some carbon-fiber hockey sticks laying around (real hockey, not ice hockey). They are durable, have excellent range and are properly balanced. That'll be the first thing I'd pick up here in the house.
I also have a helmet from when I used to be a goalie. It has a badass print, and offers excellent protection versus blunt attacks without blocking sight.

Also, I have a plethora of tools and materials laying around with which I could easily build some weapons like spears, (cross-)bows, or maces. There should be an axe and sledgehammer in the garage as well, but I prefer the hockey stick's speed and agility.

I would never want to stay in this house, as it's just positioned terribly. It could easily be swarmed, and there are several ways to make your way inside.

I'd probably try to make my way to Langweer, a town roughly 125km away from home, where my father's yacht is located. I have the keys, it's pretty quick and offers room for a few others without being too big to handle alone. It's also pretty sea-worthy - we've used it to sail to Harwich from Den Helder, then back to Hoek van Holland (during storm). It also has a reasonable amount of canned food stored under the floor, so the only trouble would be clean water to drink.

RamblinMike
Jan 26th, 2011, 11:41 AM
Wish'd my old man had a yacht I could run to - that is awesome.

All I've got is an aluminum bat and a ball-peen hammer. Improvised melee stuff.I live less than a block from the National Guard, so I'd want to see if they have any weapons. A few blocks south is a friend who keeps a nice assortment of shotguns and revolvers.

Jehovah's Witnesses don't put windows on their buildings, in order to avoid vandalism. I remember there's a Kingdom Hall right outside of town, and considering their apocalyptic beliefs and conservative politics, I bet they'd have lots of guns. That's where me and the wife would hole up.

Kc
Jan 26th, 2011, 12:08 PM
Police stations would have more firearm capabilities than most National Guard or Reserve stations... just saying ;)

RamblinMike
Jan 26th, 2011, 12:22 PM
Police stations would have more firearm capabilities than most National Guard or Reserve stations... just saying ;)

Good call... better drop all the other plans and chill with the JW's. You know everyone's going to swarm the police and army places. But, really, who's going to think of the Jehovah's Witnesses? I'm pretty sure I could even off-road it to get there. Or drive on the bike path.

RamblinMike
Jan 26th, 2011, 12:41 PM
... then again, there's the incessant proselytizing. The apocalyptic eschatology could be a two-edged sword: lots of guns, yes, but also lots of "The end is near"s.

Kc
Jan 26th, 2011, 01:52 PM
... then again, there's the incessant proselytizing. The apocalyptic eschatology could be a two-edged sword: lots of guns, yes, but also lots of "The end is near"s.
Aren't JW's more pacifistic?

cPT.cAPSLOCK
Jan 26th, 2011, 01:59 PM

The police station in our town does have a plethora of firearms (mostly Walter P5's), but they're locked pretty tightly.
It really depends on the situation if I'd go there, especially because the surrounding area is pretty dangerous.

fraggot
Jan 26th, 2011, 02:00 PM
I still think a prison would be one of the best choices, high walls, lots of bars and such. Granted, all of the prisoners would have to have been let out or something first.

I would just fortify it even more and make that my new home. Cause yes some of the zombies can jump but not all of them, so I think I'd be safe.

cPT.cAPSLOCK
Jan 26th, 2011, 02:26 PM
There's plenty of barbed wire on top of the walls and fences to keep jumpers out.

A prison isn't meant to keep something in or keep something out, but to isolate. It's perfect once you got rid of the prisoners.
However, that'll be pretty hard depending on the situation.

Maybe, the people at the prison (including guards) aren't infected yet. Then you'll have a pretty darn hard time to fortify the position, unless you can convince the warden about the zombies.
Another possibility is that it's totally deserted, which will make it hard to find out where the controls for the gates are (which, by the way, will stop working when the power is down. Gotta prepare for that!), or that everyone (including guards) is already infected.

Either way, manual defenses are safer than ones that rely on power. Especially on the long term. You can't fuel that generator (you might not even ever have) forever!

Spud
Jan 26th, 2011, 02:36 PM
i have a gun locker in my closet and i live in a city but we have a mountain behind us and id go out there cause its hard to get there by foot so its more isolated

RamblinMike
Jan 26th, 2011, 03:52 PM
Aren't JW's more pacifistic?

Nope, they just aren't allowed to serve in the military. It has to do with their doctrine of separation. Worldly government and all that.

There is always the county jail, or juvy hall up the road. Those are probably both better than a Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses. My lesson for today is that, if there were a zombie apocalypse, I'd likely be lunch for my zombie neighbors.

Kc
Jan 26th, 2011, 03:56 PM
The police station in our town does have a plethora of firearms (mostly Walter P5's), but they're locked pretty tightly.
It really depends on the situation if I'd go there, especially because the surrounding area is pretty dangerous.
Are you saying there's no way to get in? Even if you had tons of time and no consequences?

jamman39
Jan 26th, 2011, 05:53 PM
Id be toast

TCM Revolver
Jan 26th, 2011, 06:14 PM

How ironic that your police station is in a bad neighborhood. j/k :)

Hollomandious
Jan 26th, 2011, 11:27 PM
Steps in order.

1. look around. notice it's happening.
2. sigh deeply.
3. walk back into the house.
4. pack one up. [never know, maybe the smell diverts them like booze?]
5. sit down.
6. wait for the inevitable.
7. probably sigh deeply again.
8. continue waiting for the inevitable.

But seriously. I'm a slightly over weight 30 year old w/ weak knees and a propensity for bruising. I also don't own any weapons. I'm (for lack of a better word) funked.

Wicked Sid
Jan 27th, 2011, 05:34 AM
I have two swords I could use, a combat vest and a paintball gun, which when the feeder is removed could be used for intimitadation on the right people. I could get a few patches and make myself look like a S.W.A.T. officer to gain control of the situation and fortify a few houses in the close-perimeter neighbourhood that I live in. There are few supplies in the area, so, I'd have to, when ready anyway, travel to one of the surrounding cities' supermarkets raid for supplies. There is also a police station (Weapons), fire station (Fire engines), which also holds ambulances all of these are near by, my only problem is food and water.

If I could find a MIG welder, I could fortify cars with excess metal from uneeded vehicles. In my area there are quite a few trucks which I could use create fortified conveys and retrieve any survivors. Really though, all this is only possible if I don't get eaten.

cPT.cAPSLOCK
Jan 29th, 2011, 07:49 AM
Are you saying there's no way to get in? Even if you had tons of time and no consequences?
With tons of time and no consequences, sure. But if all hell broke loose, that doesn't apply I guess. A much better bet would be the sport-shooters club roughly 10km away. The security is much lower there.

How ironic that your police station is in a bad neighborhood. j/k :)
Obviously, I meant it'd be dangerous once the infection had started spreading ;) The area around the PD is basically a maze of small streets, so zombies could come from any direction *and* you can't see them coming until they're very close. I'd definitely try to stay clear of that place if there'd be zombies around.

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Jan 30th, 2011, 03:14 PM
Hey Capt,
125 cliks is a good distance to travel. What would you be traveling in that would make it if the terrain wasn't kind to you? People fleeing, cars stalled?
The weapons sound good as does the yacht. How would you forage for supplies when needed?

NoReality95
Jan 30th, 2011, 03:26 PM
Right now it's night and the roads are a little less heavy then around noon in my town, the whole block is a maze so we'd have some time to get out and get to either the harbor or to the nearest town or city to find shelter though it is winter so maybe the zombies would freeze in two feet of snow. I have a sledgehammer, normal hammer, bat, hockey sticks, and other hand weapons (along with nun-chucks but I'll stick with my bat) so that can give my mom and I some protection to get to my aunt and uncles they live in the woods so not that many people around, and my uncle has a small arsenal for when he goes hunting with friends and family so I'd be set for a night till we get to a better location.

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Jan 30th, 2011, 03:45 PM
To answer my own question: I have 3 locations picked out here in Miami. Two here in west Dade and the main one if I can make it would be the USAID "warehouse." I got a USAID briefing/training when I returned from Haiti last year. The warehouse has all the supplies one would need to provision a small country. There are vehicles, water purification units, tents, blankets, MRE's.. you name it, it's there, minus weapons.
The second location is a HS a half mile from where I live. The damn place is secure like crazy! High security palisade fencing on the outside perimeter. Only one ground level window with it's bullet proof glass. You have the home ec room, cafeteria, gym, pool, 3 stories with hurricane shudders. Only two starways to cover. The inner perimeter/courtyard entrance to the school proper has gates and bars so damn thick it's crazy. Now that I think about it, I'd use it first since it's closer. There are 5 apartment complexes within half a mile. 2 of them are right across the street on the North and South side
Publix grocery store is a mile away. A CVS is 3 blocks away. There's a fire station, gun shop, liquor store, starbucks, subway to raid as well.
I have a decorative dull sword, a nice butterfly sword/knife that IS sharp and i'm qualified on more than a few weapons. I prefer long guns over handguns any day.

Onslaught
Jan 30th, 2011, 04:15 PM
My grandpa's got about three shotguns not sure what type, a few rifles, a KAR-98 (not sure where he got it) and this wicked looking saw blade on a stick used to cut branch from trees. Better yet he only lives about half a mile from my house.

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Jan 30th, 2011, 04:30 PM
There's nothing like a Shotgun! use a combo of slugs and pellets.

mascaria
Jan 30th, 2011, 05:54 PM
I live at the Grand Canyon National Park atm. I'd totally just hike into the canyon and camp out somewhere near the river. I'd be good for a while.

Spud
Jan 31st, 2011, 12:48 PM
I live at the Grand Canyon National Park atm. I'd totally just hike into the canyon and camp out somewhere near the river. I'd be good for a while.

what would you do food wise down there? lol

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Feb 1st, 2011, 08:07 AM
65Here's my "Saul" knife! She has served me well.

mascaria
Feb 1st, 2011, 08:23 AM
what would you do food wise down there? lol

Fish!
There's also big horn sheep and all manner of animals. Native Americans lived in the canyon for ages!

Onslaught
Feb 1st, 2011, 04:36 PM
65Here's my "Saul" knife! She has served me well.
Not bad but would you really want to get that close to a zombie just to slice it up?

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Feb 2nd, 2011, 08:20 AM
71LOL@ Onslaught..
Man, how many times have they NOT had a choice but to be up and close? There's no way in hell that would be my primary or secondary weapon. That's "When all else fails." My sword is on the wall with wire wrapped around the guard and pommel to keep the blade inside the sheath.
I'm comtemplating buying a .40 Hi-point handgun and a .45 carbine (pictured above.)

Onslaught
Feb 2nd, 2011, 09:12 AM
@HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Nice, how about a .45 magnum blow those bitches to pieces, I prefer an AA-12 though

Onslaught
Feb 2nd, 2011, 09:24 AM
@HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Nice but how about a .45 magnum? Fill it with hollow points blow the bastards to pieces. Me I'd prefer an AA-12 turn a group to mist.

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Feb 2nd, 2011, 11:56 AM
low velocity +P Hollow points are pretty good. .45 may be an over kill (hehehe) for them though. 9 mil HP rounds are more plentiful in supply and work just as well on a skull since a .45 HP is normally for stopping power due to hydroshock in the human body. .45 high velocity for the behemoths would work, but not HP. You need the round to travel through thicker skin and bones.
These things don't have to worry about organ damage from body shots.
If I had my dithers, I'd carry a shotty with two bandaliers of buckshot and slugs.

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Feb 2nd, 2011, 11:59 AM
The one good thing is that these creatures can be knocked out! So, give me a large crowbar and a machete with someone with a lead spitter at my back and we'd do ok. I hope! LOL

Onslaught
Feb 2nd, 2011, 02:57 PM
@Have CrowBarWillTravel
How about a steel bat covered in razor wire and a sledgehammer?

Mayshod
Feb 2nd, 2011, 03:24 PM
HaveCrowbarwilltravel: Since when can zombies be "knocked out"?

I own all of the following:
Machette
short katana-like sword
Tomahawk made trench knife (very sturdy)
28" Titanium crowbar (Yes I actually have one, not easy to find and was about $100)
TONS of tactical gear vests, bags, pouches etc. (I play airsoft)
I own no real firearms however.

If the shit hit the fan and I HAD to hole up in my apartment, I could do it short term. Very defendable, 3rd floor, good veiw all around the building, only two stairwells that I could easily seal. I'm an electrician by trade and that has required me to do a great deal of carpentry as well, so I have a lot of tools and the know how to reinforce the entries. Water of course would be the first real problem if I had to stay here.

mascaria
Feb 2nd, 2011, 03:26 PM
HaveCrowbarwilltravel: Since when can zombies be "knocked out"?
They can in We're Alive.

Ra1th
Feb 2nd, 2011, 03:47 PM
They can in We're Alive.

not really, even with super strength chloroform the zombies got back up in less than a minute, we also know that nothing short of killing it will stop it as they feel no pain, (riley shot one in the leg wiht an arrow, and it didnt even notice). the only way ur stopping one wiht melee weapons is by cracking open its skull, and getting close range with the zombies from we're alive is not a smart idea.

Mayshod
Feb 2nd, 2011, 07:05 PM
I forgot about the chloroform episode. I don't think you could knock one out with a physical blow though.

mascaria
Feb 2nd, 2011, 07:09 PM
not really, even with super strength chloroform the zombies got back up in less than a minute, we also know that nothing short of killing it will stop it as they feel no pain, (riley shot one in the leg wiht an arrow, and it didnt even notice). the only way ur stopping one wiht melee weapons is by cracking open its skull, and getting close range with the zombies from we're alive is not a smart idea.

I forgot about the chloroform episode. I don't think you could knock one out with a physical blow though.

The chloroform may have only been a temporary fix but there was one that wasn't getting knocked out with the chloroform so some one (Michael?) pistol whipped one and he got knocked out. It was even said that it's good to know a good blow to the head still worked. And later Datu asked if they could just hit one of them in the head to knock him out and it was decided against, just in case the blow caused damage.

Ra1th
Feb 2nd, 2011, 07:16 PM
The chloroform may have only been a temporary fix but there was one that wasn't getting knocked out with the chloroform so some one (Michael?) pistol whipped one and he got knocked out. It was even said that it's good to know a good blow to the head still worked. And later Datu asked if they could just hit one of them in the head to knock him out and it was decided against, just in case the blow caused damage.

ur right, but i'd still say its a bad idea to go around meleeing zombies, at least in the we're alive universe anyway. they're stark raving mad, so they'll prly actually be stronger, and faster than you, and because they dont feel pain, unless the hit lands perfectly he wont go down, and in close quarters, one scratch/bite is all it takes, plus i'd say michael got lucky with that, that zombie was just coming around, and michael probably had enough time to position and land the blow perfectly in an actual battle, the odds would be against you.

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Feb 3rd, 2011, 07:19 AM
Ra1th,

The best thing to do is stay the hell away from any zombie/infected/creature at all costs. If you HAVE to be out and about, then you're best bet is a sword or crowbarish type weapon.
IF the only way you can destroy one of them is a head shot, then 95% of us are dead! Head shots on stationary targets are hard as hell. Military and Law enforcement are taught to shoot center mass. Why? Because head shots are damn near impossible. Try it when you're scared as hell, your arms are shaking and this thing is coming at you. You have a chance with old school Zombies. These new Things?.. not a chance
Hitting someone upside the old bean with a bat. It won't jam or run out of ammo either.

..or maybe I need to go to the range more often. LOL

Onslaught
Feb 3rd, 2011, 04:25 PM
we also know that nothing short of killing it will stop it as they feel no pain, (riley shot one in the leg wiht an arrow, and it didnt even notice).
They actually do feel pain, remember in Chapter 18-1 Kalani and Angel were shooting the behemoth and it covered its face? I don't think it was doing that just for fun.

Mayshod
Feb 5th, 2011, 05:14 AM
Ra1th,

I agree on all points about avoiding the undead. My goals would be to avoid a confrontation at all possible costs. I'd prefer a stealthy retreat, but if all hell broke loose I'd be hard pressed in believing I'd make it without having to test my mettle against a few zed heads.

Ra1th
Feb 5th, 2011, 11:30 AM
They actually do feel pain, remember in Chapter 18-1 Kalani and Angel were shooting the behemoth and it covered its face? I don't think it was doing that just for fun.

That might not be so much pain, as it is survival instinct, it knows that its head is its weakspot, a well placed headshot will bring it down, so it protects its head so that it wont take a headshot. plus it realises its in combat, and that there is an active threat, so it still might not be feeling pain.

Onslaught
Feb 5th, 2011, 11:56 AM
That might not be so much pain, as it is survival instinct, it knows that its head is its weakspot, a well placed headshot will bring it down, so it protects its head so that it wont take a headshot. plus it realises its in combat, and that there is an active threat, so it still might not be feeling pain.
Well we don't know much about the zombies, the regulars don't feel pain the example you brought up when Riley shot the zombie in the leg incapacitating it and yet it kept going shows that the regular ones don't feel pain but we don't know if this goes for all of them. When Kalani and Angel we're being chased by the behemoth it kept roaring it also did it when they attacked it, so it could be a roar of frustration or of pain. Maybe only some of them do and some of them don't.

Ra1th
Feb 5th, 2011, 03:46 PM
yeah definitely, i'll bet anything that the smart ones can still feel pain

Onslaught
Feb 5th, 2011, 03:51 PM
yeah definitely, i'll bet anything that the smart ones can still feel pain
I think they can too Ra1th, they're smart enough to form plans, trick humans, and talk, I'm starting to think that maybe we should't call them zombies, it's more of a mutation than an infection, don't you think?

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Feb 5th, 2011, 04:42 PM
Onslaught,
Go to Amazon's listmaina and build your own Zombie survival list. Search for maddlion to read mine. LOL.

Onslaught
Feb 6th, 2011, 08:31 AM
Onslaught,
Go to Amazon's listmaina and build your own Zombie survival list. Search for maddlion to read mine. LOL.
To quote Saul, 'I think I just wet myself.'

Destiny
Feb 6th, 2011, 09:49 AM
Grab weapons and head up to my high school.

Onslaught
Feb 6th, 2011, 11:49 AM
Grab weapons and head up to my high school.
Is your high school big? Cause I sure as hell can't do that theres three separate buildings a few trailers, and about 30 entrances.

Destiny
Feb 6th, 2011, 12:18 PM
Is your high school big? Cause I sure as hell can't do that theres three separate buildings a few trailers, and about 30 entrances.

Yep, mine's pretty big, and has a lot of entrances. But would be far more secure than my local sheriff's office which is a really small building in a strip mall.

Onslaught
Feb 6th, 2011, 12:23 PM
Yep, mine's pretty big, and has a lot of entrances. But would be far more secure than my local sheriff's office which is a really small building in a strip mall.
The JDA (John D. Adams) One of the buildings) at my high school would be so secure. 3 entrances has two stories medium size, it has 3 staircases an elevator and I think thats it. Small windows, and the doors aren't glass the're the big heavy ones you see at an emergency exit.

Ra1th
Feb 6th, 2011, 01:14 PM
u guys are lucky, most of the highschools in california are outdoor ones, so they are all seperate buildings, and none of them are very secure. alongside that the buildings arent very tough either, most houses are made with drywall and wood so that in case of an earth quake, and ur house collapses, it wont kill u like bricks and mortar would.

Onslaught
Feb 6th, 2011, 01:26 PM
u guys are lucky, most of the highschools in california are outdoor ones, so they are all seperate buildings, and none of them are very secure. alongside that the buildings arent very tough either, most houses are made with drywall and wood so that in case of an earth quake, and ur house collapses, it wont kill u like bricks and mortar would.
Our police department is made of brick and is secure as shit, one entrance, I repeat, ONE entrance. Has like three or four emergency exits but only one way to get in. And I forgot about the new high school they're building here. One entrance to drive in and out of, with fence surrounding it (to stop all of the ditching) guarded by a security guard (at least they say it will be) with one way to get out. Two stories with one entrance and about a dozen exits. It won't be done until 2012-2013, so lets hope the zombie apocalypse doesn't come until then.

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Feb 7th, 2011, 06:46 AM
So, you guys run to your HS huh? So, lets say the ish hits the fan while you're at home. What's the distance to the school and what stores/buildings are in the immediate area to help you survive?
I had to update mine to include the Dade County Police training building. There's also 3 hardware stores, a 5 gas stations, 2 construction equipment sales store (think earthmovers) and a LIQUID OXYGEN depot.

Beaumont
Feb 21st, 2011, 06:14 AM
Would you board up your house or find a better location?

Fortify a COSTCO and you'd be set. They're usually just large brick warehouses with shutters that can be locked down and are stocked with a lot of food,clothes and weapons/things that can be used as weapons and possibly a survival book. They also have generators and many other useful things to sustain a group for an extended stay before having to endure the apocalyptic conditions outside.

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Feb 21st, 2011, 08:47 AM
Holy Cow Beaumont! That is a f'n brilliant idea. The only thing I can think of is what to do about the big ass front windows at the entrances. I just found 2 more gun shops all within 5 miles of the HS i'd hole up in.

Beaumont
Feb 21st, 2011, 04:45 PM
Holy Cow Beaumont! That is a f'n brilliant idea. The only thing I can think of is what to do about the big ass front windows at the entrances. I just found 2 more gun shops all within 5 miles of the HS i'd hole up in.

The one I go to doesn't have any "big ass front windows" but I guess if the one you end up in does then that would be part of the fortifying efforts.

Chelsea C.
Feb 21st, 2011, 05:18 PM
Wish'd my old man had a yacht I could run to - that is awesome.

All I've got is an aluminum bat and a ball-peen hammer. Improvised melee stuff.I live less than a block from the National Guard, so I'd want to see if they have any weapons. A few blocks south is a friend who keeps a nice assortment of shotguns and revolvers.

Jehovah's Witnesses don't put windows on their buildings, in order to avoid vandalism. I remember there's a Kingdom Hall right outside of town, and considering their apocalyptic beliefs and conservative politics, I bet they'd have lots of guns. That's where me and the wife would hole up.

The bit on windows is correct, but I know for a fact that Kingdom Halls do not house "lots guns," lol! No, I myself am not a JW, but I have family who are. I've also occasionally attended said Kingdom Halls in my youth.

I just wanted to let you know that you'll have to find another means to acquire your guns. :)

EDIT: Oh! You mean Jehovah's Witnesses would have guns...maybe, but I wouldn't count on it. For a minute I thought you meant they store guns at the KH. XD

Chelsea C.
Feb 21st, 2011, 05:28 PM
Nope, they just aren't allowed to serve in the military. It has to do with their doctrine of separation. Worldly government and all that.

There is always the county jail, or juvy hall up the road. Those are probably both better than a Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses. My lesson for today is that, if there were a zombie apocalypse, I'd likely be lunch for my zombie neighbors.

Chances are you wouldn't have any other choice but to be lunch for the zombies because Kingdom Halls accommodated A LOT of congregations (at different time slots). so there probably wouldn't even be room. Chances are, JWs will be there first.

Teethingbiscuit
Feb 21st, 2011, 06:01 PM
Not to mention being blind. Without windows or better than that tactical lookouts there is little to be known on what is going on even 6" away... that may desired. Hear no zombie, see no zombie.
Teeth

Pandora
Feb 22nd, 2011, 08:59 AM
I would find a lab and do experiments on the zombies! At the beach side home! possibly Alcatraz? Stock up on food, Ammo, gas, generators, tow trucks, and MOVIES!

Eviebae
Feb 28th, 2011, 03:44 PM
Given a choice, hiding is better than fighting. Fighting means being seen and being a target. Plus, you don't want to get close enough to get infected. But, what you want is choice. Weapons of different range and capability and lots of booby traps and get-a-ways.

Speaking of which, what about multiple escape routes? I keep wondering why the survivors don't have escape plans--and booby traps---and ways to close off parts of the buildings. I'm torn on the issue because more than one way out = more than one way in. But, having multiple ways out or multiple safe rooms would be good too.

Heck, you know what I wonder? Why isn't anyone doing mass kills of the Zombies? Luring masses of them into one area and destroying them from a distance...although they may just all starve to death first.

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Mar 1st, 2011, 07:35 AM
Eviebae,
Lack of ammo, lack of training with the weapons they have and lack of will to go on the offense. Who wants to be a hero?
I'd only fight when I had to. I'd most def prepare for a bug out though.
Getting infected isn't too great a worry if you're properly dressed. Shoot, you could go out in a full leather bikers outfit with helmet and bust zombie ass without worry. You might have tunnel vision with the helmet on, but it's only an example.
You just don't want to get stuck simply fighting. Stick and move.

Funny Muffins
Mar 1st, 2011, 10:19 AM
At this point, your already dead.
I might be the dude polishing his skulls to heavy gloss in the corner..

Luring them away from your buddies anywhere would be key.
Dropping blood on a distant location would be the easiest way to distract these sharks, take a sealed glass container and place it on the end of a pull string on the back side of an adjacent building, pull that stuff and BAM no more infected monsters hammering at your front door for a while.
Then you just rig up a Molotov/pipe bomb or two in the same fashion...
HA!

As for the tower, yea they are not taking advantage of any traps or anything aside from a trip wire and an elevated position.
Wouldn't it be fun to let them get onto the 10 floor hallway then figure out a way to drop then to the first?!
Yeah, I thought so too!

XD

PS.
Shouldn't this thread be located in OFF TOPIC?

Chogidog
Mar 1st, 2011, 07:51 PM
After reading both Max Brooks books, especially the Zombie Survival Guide, my son and I had a little contest to see which of us could find the best building in town to secure and defend.
Guess what.. There aren't any in my town.
Everything has big ol' glass windows or a ton of doors.
The best thing we've got going for us is a little known, but well stocked gun shop about 10 houses down.
After that, maybe lowes to get a chainsaw and cut out the stairs to my 2nd story apt.
Not a lot of options for me here lol

ObamaCat
Mar 1st, 2011, 08:58 PM
There's a perfect group of apartment buildings near the lake in town where I live. They have a good view of the surrounding area, have some good security measures, and are on the aforementioned lake which would be a great source of water (unless the virus can spread through water, then I'm screwed). That or a pimped out Costco.

As for guns, living in Canada hinders my immediate access to them, but I think I would just raid a local hunting store on the way over to the apartment buildings.

Jesse Daniels
Mar 2nd, 2011, 01:51 PM
ready, set outbreak!

If the outbreak happens now while I'm at work I'm staying here. I work in an office suite area that runs above and below the main shopping center. It is a converted bomb shelter that has 3 entrances. One entrance is a fire door with no ability to open from the outside, the other door is another heavy steel fire exit, and the last is two sets of double doors that are shatter proof and electronically lock at night. Once inside (which I already am) you have free access to the roof. From the roof you can easily make it to the otherside of the plaza where there is a supermarket prime for the picking. In the plaza there is a drug store, a dollar store, and 2 clothing stores as well as a dental office that may contain plenty of supplies. Behind the building is a technical school which has a machine shop for repairs, or creating a custom zombie proof mobile. 3 gas stations are all within sight of the roof top allowing for someone to cover from a distance. So i'm well set down here.

If the outbreak happens at home I'm running to the local gas station. The gas station has an apartment building on the upperfloor that can only be entered after going up a flight of wooden steps. Since the building already has one of those ladders you can throw out the windows I would remove the wooden steps making it impossible for anyone to get upstairs. Now the gas station is in a prime location since the back yard is a fresh water resevoir allowing for plenty of fresh drinking water. Within 2 blocks you have 2 gas stations, a pharmacy, and 2 supermarkets. Since the town population is only something like 14,000 I would expect very little infected after the outbreak since they will most likely head south to a better feeding ground.

Decomposed Ass2Ass
Mar 2nd, 2011, 06:40 PM
Get all the food in my house upstairs then barricade the staircase and just see how long me and my family can last with what we got. Either that or immediately die lol, I prefer the first

Chelsea C.
Mar 2nd, 2011, 06:50 PM
Get all the food in my house upstairs then barricade the staircase and just see how long me and my family can last with what we got. Either that or immediately die lol, I prefer the first

"Immediately die." I like that XD

Problem is, it probably wouldn't be immediate. More likely, your death would be slow, agonizing, and messy. That's sad... :(

Wicked Sid
Mar 2nd, 2011, 06:53 PM

Problem is, it probably wouldn't be immediate. More likely, your death would be slow, agonizing, and messy. That's sad... :(

But then you get to come back and eat for a life time.

Decomposed Ass2Ass
Mar 2nd, 2011, 06:59 PM

I'd rather hide in the barricaded upstairs in my house though, than just die immediately tbh :p haha

Chelsea C.
Mar 2nd, 2011, 07:01 PM
But then you get to come back and eat for a life time.

And that makes me happy :)

Solanine
Mar 8th, 2011, 11:38 AM
I live in a small Isolated village. We have an axe for cutting wood and a hatchet for secondary. Their is a local building to which I have a key which has an attic that can only be accessed by using a rod to pull it down. So thats my first place to hold up. Long term I put signs up advertising it as a safe house. Inside of their will be canned food (about 2 days supply for 2 people) and a radio for contact. By this time I hope to have A found a long range weapon and B have moved on to a local farm with back up safe house near by. I would go about a cull of zombies in the area (assuming their shamblers or with human capabilities). Then I would try to contact other survivors out of my area. Also should mention their is a nuclear bunker thats key I know the position of near by If I resort to hiding underground (Day by day Armageddon style).

Oh and a stop at the local high school to get the chemicals I need to create explosives etc (Taking chemistry at high school raises your chances of surviving a zombie outbreak). And get some petrol, polystyrene and hexane for napalm.

Solanine
Jun 27th, 2011, 11:30 AM
The current thread on survival has started to spiral down into the depths of obscurity and so I will begin a new one. I hope. Now the title of the next chapter in our survival discussion shall be "In which we share our perfect survival plan". Feel free to critique those of others and try not to ramble when describing your plan. Posts like this that last for ever in no particular direction are not good for keeping a conversation going!
So everybody have fun! OR ignore this and it will be another failed thread to my name!
Solanine out!

Ctatyk Frost
Jun 29th, 2011, 05:43 PM
I live on the 2nd floor of a somewhat secure building. I have enough weapons in here to arm enough people to cover the entrances and there are building supplies in the basement/garage to board up the 1st floor at least. I have lots of food and with it being an apartment building, I'm sure that there is plenty available in other apartments for starters. Running water across the street so something could be set up to port some of that to us given a little time.
My biggest concern would be running out of ammo in the long term. I'd have to locate a gun store & get a reloader to go with any ammo that I could find. It would be nice to think that I would be lucky enough to find even more guns, but I doubt that...but who can carry "ALL" of the ammo & reloading supplies?
Once things stabilized, I'd head away from the city on recon runs to try to locate an area not overrun with zombies and relocate to there.

All this is also known as: I'd probably be one of the first people eaten/turned into a zombie....

Luna Guardian
Jun 29th, 2011, 10:51 PM
Right now? Aw sheet, let's see
1) Ask myself "Are you kidding me?"
2) Realize that I am not
3) Ask myself "Are you FUDGING kidding me!?"
4) Assure myself that I am not
5) Finish my hot coco
6) Go home, put on my anti-riot armour (I had some spare change and bought a surplus riot police getup) and pick up my "Apocalypse survival kit"
7) Survive or die

Magrat
Jun 29th, 2011, 10:54 PM
Right now?
not notice. then notice too late. then die, unvaliantly. I have no illusions of grandeur. If i survived it would be a cosmic joke.

Solanine
Jun 29th, 2011, 11:42 PM
Wait a few hours. All loose hell has now gotten half way to me so I run off to my friends house and prepare for battle. E.g., we take his guns out, position are selves in his Deactived Armoured vehicles that lie right around his house. Realise that nothing will ever really bother coming for us. Sleep well.

Nullifier
Jul 7th, 2011, 12:41 AM
position are selves in his Deactived Armoured vehicles that lie right around his house.
PICTURES!!!!!, this thread is useless without PICTURES!!!!!
Armoured Vehicles give me a hard on............did I say that out loud?

When Rick Grimes in the walking dead holed up in that tank & he's talking to Glenn over the radio he asks Glenn for advice because he's a little concerned?????????
I'd be like sweeeeeeeeeeeet I'm in a fricking tank!!!!!!!!!!!!! SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET

Cabbage Patch
Jul 7th, 2011, 02:51 AM
Armored vehicles would be really good to have around when you're over-run with zombies. They're tough and secure—once you're inside nothing short of a behemoth can get at you. They pack massive firepower, and they don't have a problem negotiating streets full of abandoned cars.

http://www.strangecosmos.com/images/content/149284.jpg http://www.oocities.org/strykerprogram/page11a.jpg
http://i.zdnet.com/blogs/tank-and-schoolgirl-zombie1.jpg http://www.cryptozoic.com/sites/default/files/artwork-images/zombie-tank.jpg

Solanine
Jul 7th, 2011, 03:01 AM
K I'll see what I can do, I don't have any pictures as it is. There is a few APC's, a couple of tanks and lots of armoured Land rovers and other all terrain vehicles.

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Jul 11th, 2011, 08:04 AM
PICTURES!!!!!, this thread is useless without PICTURES!!!!!
Armoured Vehicles give me a hard on............did I say that out loud?

When Rick Grimes in the walking dead holed up in that tank & he's talking to Glenn over the radio he asks Glenn for advice because he's a little concerned?????????
I'd be like sweeeeeeeeeeeet I'm in a fricking tank!!!!!!!!!!!!! SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET

You don't need pictures to tell someone how and where you'd hole up during an outbreak.

Nullifier
Jul 11th, 2011, 10:42 AM
You don't need pictures to tell someone how and where you'd hole up during an outbreak.

No you certainly don't, I just happen to really like AFV's

so what is your point?

Solanine
Jul 11th, 2011, 11:11 AM

so what is your point?
He was just saying, people don't usually leave pictures of themselves/ their location on the internet, not wise at all.
You came of a little aggressive their, just try and be a little careful. This forum is the internet equivalent of a nice, friendly british hamlet. Don't spoil it.

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Jul 11th, 2011, 11:38 AM

so what is your point?

The point my friend is that for THIS thread, which has nothing to do with AFV's- is that you do not need a picture to answer the question. Simple. Thanks for replying by the way.

Osiris
Jul 11th, 2011, 11:40 AM
A far too complex answer to simply toss into page 9 of a thread. I'll reserve it for an upcoming blog.

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Jul 11th, 2011, 11:41 AM
He was just saying, people don't usually leave pictures of themselves/ their location on the internet, not wise at all.
You came of a little aggressive their, just try and be a little careful. This forum is the internet equivalent of a nice, friendly british hamlet. Don't spoil it.

Solanine,

He's/She's a newbie so they get a pass, plus you can't read into the attitude because it may or may not be what it reads like.
Thanks for having my back though. LOL. I may just add you to my "WillTravel" team. LOL.. Lets's see.. HaveShotGunWillTravel... hmm...

Leedo2502
Jul 11th, 2011, 11:41 AM
Armoured vehicles like tanks and APC's are a rookie mistake. An M-1 Abrams has a jet turbine engine that is a bitch to maintain and takes a crew of 4 to drive. You can get away with having a driver and a TC but that'd be rough trying to get around in a urban enviorment. A Bradley or an M-133 is also a tough one to go with. If you break track you'll be assed out and not to mention that these beasts drink fuel by the gallon.

The best way to go is a nice crew cab pick up. Something with a low profile that you can drive through the doors of a Costco and take all of Britt's stuff and still seat 4-5 people (I'd stick with at least 4 people when doing anything). Weld some chainlink fence on the windsheild and rear window and rebar over the door windows and you're good to go. If you're worried about other survivors shooting at you get some 1 inch steel plates for the doors and around the engine block that you can easily replace and viola' perfect zombie vehicle.

CrowBar I'm resisting posting a picture of a Nissan Frontier LOL!

Solanine
Jul 11th, 2011, 11:53 AM
The Apc/ armoured vehicles are immobilised anyway. The Idea is that you could shut the lid on yourself to avoid being seen and If you put a survival pack in it could be a good refuge. Imagine the tower gets attacked. Tanya jumps into Apc (which is a fancy guard post really) and can wait for back up. Until a behemoth comes.

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Jul 11th, 2011, 11:55 AM
Armoured vehicles like tanks and APC's are a rookie mistake. An M-1 Abrams has a jet turbine engine that is a bitch to maintain and takes a crew of 4 to drive. You can get away with having a driver and a TC but that'd be rough trying to get around in a urban enviorment. A Bradley or an M-133 is also a tough one to go with. If you break track you'll be assed out and not to mention that these beasts drink fuel by the gallon.

The best way to go is a nice crew cab pick up. Something with a low profile that you can drive through the doors of a Costco and take all of Britt's stuff and still seat 4-5 people (I'd stick with at least 4 people when doing anything). Weld some chainlink fence on the windsheild and rear window and rebar over the door windows and you're good to go. If you're worried about other survivors shooting at you get some 1 inch steel plates for the doors and around the engine block that you can easily replace and viola' perfect zombie vehicle.

Leedo! My brother in Arms..even it you're Army! (i'm on a hate Army kick right now due to all the middleman crap you guys do)
Anyway, Fiction wise, auto glass breaks if you breath on it. Real life, a human fist will break before it does any damage. A zombie may not FEEL pain but the law of nature still applies. Hand..glass. Glass wins! hahah.

Ok.. but you would want to reinforce the windows to protect from "Bodies" and objects. I saw a special once on the dynamics of cars vs people (adult and kids). They showed that a lower a car is, the safer it is for an adult because we tend to go over the hood. Kids get squished. The higher it is, the worse it is for adults. We get squished (because we hit the grill) and kids go under the vehicle.
SOOOO, the long rant was to show that you should tailor your vehicle to what you need it for. I'm going out and there's a really high chance of me running into the Infected... i'm going with a Ford Expedition or Honda Passport. Something with a moon roof to shoot from and a higher profile so I can smack creatures with the grill and keep going. Better yet if you put one of those big ass metal "Cow Catcher" grills you see on some trucks.
Oh, and keep resisting my friend.. keep resisting.

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Jul 11th, 2011, 11:58 AM
The Apc/ armoured vehicles are immobilised anyway. The Idea is that you could shut the lid on yourself to avoid being seen and If you put a survival pack in it could be a good refuge. Imagine the tower gets attacked. Tanya jumps into Apc (which is a fancy guard post really) and can wait for back up. Until a behemoth comes.

What do you think a Behemoth could do to an armored vehicle? In my mind, I don't see them doing to much but scratching there backs like bears use trees. LOL.

Solanine
Jul 11th, 2011, 11:59 AM
Throw it. Against the tower xD

Leedo2502
Jul 11th, 2011, 12:03 PM

I'm not to sure a behemoth could really do anything to an armoured vehicle. I've taken rounds on an uparmoured Humvee and it literally didn't scratch the paint. Maybe, Maybe a behemoth could flip an armoured vehicle but not likely. If it is not being used for AS a vehicle sure an armoured vehicle might be a good spot to hide, but little else. I'm a tall dude so I'd stay out of them.

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Jul 11th, 2011, 12:06 PM

Whoa! LOL. We haven't seen any indication of them being that strong. They're big, but probably not super duper strong. If that were the case (this has been talked about before) then they'd have no problem climbing or getting to people who are barricaded and such.
They're tough as hell, but not extra strong. The general consensus is that they have something wrong anatomy wise that keeps them from reaching high stuff, or being able to climb. That would keep them from lifting cars and such as well. Little T-Rex arms or thin, grabby arms with bloated bodies is how I see them

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Jul 11th, 2011, 12:09 PM
I'm not to sure a behemoth could really do anything to an armoured vehicle. I've taken rounds on an uparmoured Humvee and it literally didn't scratch the paint. Maybe, Maybe a behemoth could flip an armoured vehicle but not likely. If it is not being used for AS a vehicle sure an armoured vehicle might be a good spot to hide, but little else. I'm a tall dude so I'd stay out of them.

Mofo's would likely be HAF without the engine running too. I've never been in one, but I have been in a Peace Keeper in the summer.. ewww.

Leedo2502
Jul 11th, 2011, 12:09 PM
Leedo! My brother in Arms..even it you're Army! (i'm on a hate Army kick right now due to all the middleman crap you guys do)
Anyway, Fiction wise, auto glass breaks if you breath on it. Real life, a human fist will break before it does any damage. A zombie may not FEEL pain but the law of nature still applies. Hand..glass. Glass wins! hahah.

Ok.. but you would want to reinforce the windows to protect from "Bodies" and objects. I saw a special once on the dynamics of cars vs people (adult and kids). They showed that a lower a car is, the safer it is for an adult because we tend to go over the hood. Kids get squished. The higher it is, the worse it is for adults. We get squished (because we hit the grill) and kids go under the vehicle.
SOOOO, the long rant was to show that you should tailor your vehicle to what you need it for. I'm going out and there's a really high chance of me running into the Infected... i'm going with a Ford Expedition or Honda Passport. Something with a moon roof to shoot from and a higher profile so I can smack creatures with the grill and keep going. Better yet if you put one of those big ass metal "Cow Catcher" grills you see on some trucks.
Oh, and keep resisting my friend.. keep resisting.

Sheeeet you listed all the reasons I want out of the Army LMAO! I'm all on board with the power of the windsheild I like the idea of having a lower profile vehicle (or atleast on in the convoy) that can literally drive into a building and load up supplies and such. I'd resist the moon roof and just shoot out of the open windows, Maybe rig up a bungee so I could prop the door open whilst still having it secured by the frame from opening too far.

All this vehicle talk makes me think that I'd just get a VW bus or an old Ford pickup. The maintenence would be a hell of alot easier and without all the transmission computers and added electronic stuff that could go wrong.

Leedo2502
Jul 11th, 2011, 12:12 PM
Mofo's would likely be HAF without the engine running too. I've never been in one, but I have been in a Peace Keeper in the summer.. ewww.

Yeah the bennie of that armoured humvee in Iraq was the AC otherwise I'd have walked LOL!!

Leedo2502
Jul 11th, 2011, 12:18 PM

There is a difference between concrete and reenforeced steel. One man with a sledge hammer can bust up a wall and get into the tower given enough time. That same dude couldn't do a thing against a tanks armour. Now maybe it could rip off a hatch but pretty unlikely.

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Jul 11th, 2011, 12:25 PM
Sheeeet you listed all the reasons I want out of the Army LMAO! I'm all on board with the power of the windsheild I like the idea of having a lower profile vehicle (or atleast on in the convoy) that can literally drive into a building and load up supplies and such. I'd resist the moon roof and just shoot out of the open windows, Maybe rig up a bungee so I could prop the door open whilst still having it secured by the frame from opening too far.

All this vehicle talk makes me think that I'd just get a VW bus or an old Ford pickup. The maintenence would be a hell of alot easier and without all the transmission computers and added electronic stuff that could go wrong.

Now why the hell would you resist the moon roof man! It's safe. It ain't Somalia man! Just some dead or infected fools running around. You're in a big ass Chevy Tahoe. You can fire at will (if you know which one is will) ROFL!
Sorry for that one. Ahem.. ANYWHOOOO,
Stable firing position when it's static and a pretty good one when it's moving. If you're a skinny mofo, then 2 people can shoot from it. You also get a 360 degree view
I agree that an older car would be better. There'd be plenty of places to get spare parts. BUT, then again, get me a Toyota and I don't have to worry about it going Kaput anyway.

Solanine
Jul 11th, 2011, 01:15 PM
Ok when we talk about something running THROUGH walls I kind of assume its strong.

Luna Guardian
Jul 11th, 2011, 10:14 PM
Ok when we talk about something running THROUGH walls I kind of assume its strong.

ARMY strong, maybe?

Solanine
Jul 12th, 2011, 02:43 AM
I'm not sure, but I sure wouldn't want to try it. Possiby it could drag you off and then the others could just wait you out. Thats why it would only be any good if you had others to rescue you. Like a bank vault.

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Jul 12th, 2011, 07:13 AM

You only have to be Big, heavy and tough to run through stuff (my opinion). Now, if he was punching and pulling support beams down....
I think if that were the case then Skittles, Kalani and Angel woudn't have been safe in the water tower. It would have just pulled it down. Again, only my opinion and how I see the Behemoth.

Nullifier
Jul 12th, 2011, 11:11 AM
But I wasn't asking for a picture of any location, I'm an AFV enthusiast, I wanted to see pics of the vehicles, besides anyone can claim anything on the net, pics just prove your not a lying pus bucket.

Nullifier
Jul 12th, 2011, 12:10 PM

My thoughts exactly, post SHTF grab something 30 or 40 years old, pre fuel injected & computerized, only thing the average person can do with modern cars is change the oil, top up the water & replace spark plugs, even with a workshop manual these new cars want to be treated in weird ways, like having to run the car while stationary at idle for up to half an hour to reset the computer ignition & timing, not an option post SHTF with limited fuel supplies, better to junk it & grab something older.

Solanine
Jul 12th, 2011, 12:26 PM
I think it must be pretty strong, even if its strength doesn't grow in line with size, I'm guessing it would push around an APC. Which in my case is pretty rusty and old.

Nullifier
Jul 12th, 2011, 12:53 PM

I'll raise you 1 Landmaster

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZYT2nYd46o

Solanine
Jul 13th, 2011, 02:04 AM
http://i.imgur.com/pftNe.jpg
How about an airship? There are more modern ones being designed for
spying, and can stay up for months and months. Also they're designed so that when shot they come down very gradually. And are filled with helium so they won't go up in a fireball.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hindenburg_disaster

Nullifier
Jul 13th, 2011, 07:21 AM
You really want to be somewhere where you can grow a little fruit & vegetables, having 12 months worth of Rations may sound like a good idea but they have an effect on your body in ways you just don't want to know about, for sanity & sanitary reasons I'd say the average person couldn't endure more than about 2 weeks worth before you'd have a mutiny on hand.

ryanlm09
Jul 13th, 2011, 08:36 AM
Ok, in the back roads of East Texas, where I live, basically every house you see deep in the woods is like a mini military base. I even know people who utilize motion sensor cameras and thermal imaging around here. Many of these people are very secluded, sometimes even the county roads they live on are still dirt and don't show up on maps. Now, where I live is closer to civilization but our arsenal is close at hand. There is also a big rodeo arena behind the house just in case we needed some place big for protection. If all else fails, I would go to a big city, fight my way through the hoards and hole up in a big corporate building, maybe one in Dallas. Finding guns is not a problem. In fact, my neighbor just bought an AR for recreational use (aka hog hunting).

Dr. Hatchet
Jul 13th, 2011, 08:49 AM
I'd be pissed, stuck in the southwest part of my city is still awhile to get out, I dont have a gun here nor a badass weapon at all, I'd guess I would try to wait awhile and get to my dad, me and him have plans for zombies or just riots but we need to update them abit.

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Jul 13th, 2011, 08:54 AM
Ok, in the back roads of East Texas, where I live, basically every house you see deep in the woods is like a mini military base. I even know people who utilize motion sensor cameras and thermal imaging around here. Many of these people are very secluded, sometimes even the county roads they live on are still dirt and don't show up on maps. Now, where I live is closer to civilization but our arsenal is close at hand. There is also a big rodeo arena behind the house just in case we needed some place big for protection. If all else fails, I would go to a big city, fight my way through the hoards and hole up in a big corporate building, maybe one in Dallas. Finding guns is not a problem. In fact, my neighbor just bought an AR for recreational use (aka hog hunting).

LOL.. Ryan thanks for posting this. The AR for "Recreational" use was pretty funny.

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Jul 13th, 2011, 08:57 AM
I'd be pissed, stuck in the southwest part of my city is still awhile to get out, I dont have a gun here nor a badass weapon at all, I'd guess I would try to wait awhile and get to my dad, me and him have plans for zombies or just riots but we need to update them abit.

DOC,

What's the SW part of your city look like? There has to be something you can use in your home or car or some nice place to rabbit yourself away. Heck, a tire iron is a pretty nasty weapon.
What are you and your dad's plans?

Grognaurd
Jul 13th, 2011, 09:45 AM

http://www.stinkyjournalism.org/images/fig12.jpg

Might need the Davy Crockett for some of dem picks. An AR15 is just going to piss them off LOL

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Jul 13th, 2011, 11:24 AM
Arthur,

You know I was thinking about my AK47.. Grizzly Adams line when I read that! I was so waiting on you to catch that. You let me down man. ROFL.

Grognaurd
Jul 13th, 2011, 11:34 AM
Sorry, CB. I did not mean to leave you out. I think it is all part of the same running joke. Kinda like "stone soup" Put a stone in some boiling water and when some one asks what your doing say you are making stone soup. Then someone, says you know what would go good in there, some salt. Then someone brings some carrots, etc. Pretty soon it is an awesome soup with everyone contributing a little.

Nullifier
Jul 13th, 2011, 12:34 PM
DOC,

What's the SW part of your city look like? There has to be something you can use in your home or car or some nice place to rabbit yourself away. Heck, a tire iron is a pretty nasty weapon.
What are you and your dad's plans?

Agreed, a person's situation is never hopeless, most people get into a tizzy when the subject of "Survival" comes up, you just need someone with a survival mindset to take a look around, every item has at least 2 uses, eg, a broom handle makes an excellent thrusting weapon & of coarse it doesn't have to all be about weapons & self defence, if you're really clever like me you can grow food on a concrete slab.

Regarding the bug-out I've wanted to post this next bit for some time & this thread seems as good as any where else to post it, this was from a friend, posted on a survival forum some time ago, so I can't take any credit for it, although I strongly disagree with hit comments regarding weeds, not meant in anyway to undermine anyone's bug-out plans just to emphasize that if you have no fixed place to go, you have no plan :

If your survival strategy is to jump in your camper van at the first sign of trouble and drive out to a remote location in the mountains where you will survive by foraging, fishing and boiling tree bark for soup, you have no strategy.

Bugout is desperation unless you have a fixed prepared retreat to bugout to.

Anybody who talks about living off the land has probably never tried to live off the land. It's REALLY hard. There are no gas stations out there, so your fuel you carry will likely run out within a week, meaning your temporary bugout location will become your permanent bugout location when your gas gauge hits empty. If you plan on surviving on the calories you get from fishing and foraging, you've probably never spent an entire day fishing without catching anything or foraging for weeds that provide almost no energy content and have to be boiled for hours to be edible - mind you, your caloric requirements will be severely increased by walking miles looking for food and hiking up and down through the woods. Ever increasing demands with ever decreasing gains, soon you won't have the strength to get up in the morning to go looking for an uncertain return in food that may or may not be just waiting out there for you to find it.

Now remember that there will be millions of other misguided a**holes like yourselves trying to live out their meticulously visualized Davy Crockett fantasy at the same time all around you. In about a week, all the fish will be fished out, the game will be hunted out and they will start to strip the bark off the trees. About a month later, when real hunger sets in, it will occur to people that the only reliable source of protein out there is human flesh and the most reliable source of food and supplies is at hand by stealing and robbing any of the other hundred thousand fools out there. In two months, the landscape will be stripped bare from uncontrolled forest fires and human occupation, stinking from untreated and unburied sewage and littered with offal consisting of the less edible parts of the human frame. Mind you, all of this is the upbeat feelgood hit of the summer Frank Capra prelude to when things start to get really bad for the buggees amidst their bugouts.

If you want to know about the bugout, read some books about the Ukrainian famine.

The wilderness will be overrun with millions of people who think it's a clever idea that will enable them to survive which "other people" will not take advantage of.

The "bugout" is a one way road to oblivion

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Jul 28th, 2011, 10:45 AM
Nullifier,

I KNOW I don't know how to live off the land. That was a pretty good read. Thanks for sharing

Nullifier
Jul 28th, 2011, 12:57 PM
Nullifier,

I KNOW I don't know how to live off the land. That was a pretty good read. Thanks for sharing

no problem, but as I said a person's situation is never hopeless, My own personal view, if you don't have a place to bug out to, stay put, use what local resources you can find/gather, you are more likely to survive in YOUR environment after all no outsider knows your neighborhood like you do vis a vis.
Start by taking note of your surroundings, make a reference map of where any fruit bearing trees are, I'm lucky in a few ways, I have a friend who cycles 60 miles (100kms) a day for fitness so I pumped him for his knowledge on all the fruit trees growing alongside the roads in the district, also where I live, I have an avenue of about 50 Oriental white oaks, low in tannins they also drop acorns every 6 months & a creek about 50 ft from my door, home to ducks when in season, I've never bothered them, no need to, would rather encourage their return & reproduction.

Where you are i'd guess you'd have a pretty good climate for growing food, not being intimate with the locale, I'd guess you would even get an extended growing season, but if you have to you can grow food on a high rise roof top, with nothing but layers of sticks, the larger ones down first, then small etc, then you dump whatever soil (from pot plants) is to hand on top & go (grow) from there, me, I wouldn't grow the food in the pots as the soil will be somewhat diseased, devoid of micro organism & all that good stuff, potted plants in public places tend to be treated like trash cans by people stuffing all manner of crap in them including cigarette butts & half drunk coffee etc, so using the layered stick method (hugelkultur or Mound Culture) will revitalize the soil in time.

I know for a fact it works, I've done it on grass lawn, corrugated Iron & concrete slabs, if you're interested in more look up no dig gardens, raised bed gardens & hugelkulture.

You only need to out live the Nongs that did nothing at all to prepare, after that the world is just one big supermarket except that the check out chicks, store manager & security guards have "gone home" :)

Most people live from pay check to pay check, after a collapse in a fortnight they are going to be really hungry, in a month they'll have their neighbors over for Dinner - literally, so if the best you can manage is a pantry with 6 weeks worth of food, you're already ahead of the curve.

I can't stress this enough TAKE EVERYTHING, LEAVE NOTHING, post collapse, once it's gone it's gone, the clothes you have may be the only ones you will ever have, so that last box of soap powder you so disdainfully looked at in that looted supermarket is going keep those clothes in usable condition, those fire extinguishers you kept passing as you searched through the adjoining apartment blocks, may just stop your home from burning down.

Still even a looted supermarket is going to offer up a lot of useful items, most have a little home & garden & auto section with buckets, jute twine, seeds, weed killer, liquid fertilizer, batteries, tools etc & people tend to focus on their immediate needs, so they are going to bypass those packets of seeds, buckets & all manner of useful stuff & head straight for the canned food, if you're really lucky they won't take any "packet" foods that really need preparation, like flour, pasta & rice & as mentioned in WA, sooner or later mice & rats will get at it, so grab it first, Zip Firelighters are a good substitute for Hexamine Tablets to cook it all on a camp stove.

remember, everything has at least 2 uses & Pillow cases make excellent "Loot Sacks" :)

ClearSights
Jul 28th, 2011, 02:17 PM
The only weapon I have in my house atm is my pump BB gun. Id take that just till I find a real weapon. And the location id go to would prob be my schools cafeteria.... Its about 100 feet up in the air on a side of a cliff, 2 entrances that are far down a staircase, and 360 degrees windows for lookout.

Solanine
Jul 29th, 2011, 04:05 AM
The only weapon I have in my house atm is my pump BB gun. Id take that just till I find a real weapon. And the location id go to would prob be my schools cafeteria.... Its about 100 feet up in the air on a side of a cliff, 2 entrances that are far down a staircase, and 360 degrees windows for lookout.

Is one room in a building really feasible? In the long run you need somewhere that you can defend the WHOLE of, not one room. However, the cliff is a bonus. If you could defend the whole place then it would make a great place. I swear most school dinners are microwaved MRE's anyway.

Solanine
Jul 29th, 2011, 04:08 AM
Solanine,

He's/She's a newbie so they get a pass, plus you can't read into the attitude because it may or may not be what it reads like.
Thanks for having my back though. LOL. I may just add you to my "WillTravel" team. LOL.. Lets's see.. HaveShotGunWillTravel... hmm...
I might just take you up on that offer, no name change tough, otherwise peoples won't recognise me.

reaper239
Jul 29th, 2011, 05:51 AM
i'd get my guns and beat feet to my bug out location. isolated, secure, self sustaining, booyah, it really is a great place

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Jul 29th, 2011, 06:00 AM
i'd get my guns and beat feet to my bug out location. isolated, secure, self sustaining, booyah, it really is a great place

Reaper,
So spill it dammit! Tell us about your Zombie Shangri La!

Solanine
Jul 29th, 2011, 02:40 PM
Yes tell us. If I get bitten I swear I won't stumble there before turning. Promise.

Nullifier
Aug 1st, 2011, 07:41 AM
Seriously guys, do something, anything, just get prepped, if the least you can do is add a few cans of food a week to your normal shopping then do it.
The fact is the world Monetary/Financial system is on the point of collapse, you just know the US Congress will authorize a debt ceiling increase, even with promises of Gov spending cuts over the next decade it will amount to the same thing putting a Band-aid over a Sucking Chest Wound because it will do nothing to address the real problem- Fractional Reserve Banking & a Fiat Money based Financial Economy.

'The fact that we are here today to debate raising America's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the US Government can not pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government's reckless fiscal policies. Increasing America's debt weakens us domestically and internationally. Leadership means that, "the buck stops here.' Instead, Washington is shifting the burden of bad choices today onto the backs of our children and grandchildren. America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership. Americans deserve better.'

-- Senator Barack H. Obama, March 2006

reaper239
Aug 1st, 2011, 12:21 PM
Reaper,
So spill it dammit! Tell us about your Zombie Shangri La!

if zombies attack i'm going to spesuti island. the army has secure facilities there.

reaper239
Aug 1st, 2011, 12:22 PM
'The fact that we are here today to debate raising America's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the US Government can not pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government's reckless fiscal policies. Increasing America's debt weakens us domestically and internationally. Leadership means that, "the buck stops here.' Instead, Washington is shifting the burden of bad choices today onto the backs of our children and grandchildren. America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership. Americans deserve better.'

-- Senator Barack H. Obama, March 2006

i did not know obummer said that. oh the irony.

TheNomad
Aug 1st, 2011, 12:24 PM
Walk the rail-road tracks for a while.

HardKor
Aug 1st, 2011, 12:50 PM
Walk the rail-road tracks for a while.

Would you have all your possessions in a handkerchief tied to the end of a stick and slung over your shoulder? Because that would be awesome!

Solanine
Aug 1st, 2011, 01:03 PM
Seriously guys, do something, anything, just get prepped, if the least you can do is add a few cans of food a week to your normal shopping then do it.
The fact is the world Monetary/Financial system is on the point of collapse, you just know the US Congress will authorize a debt ceiling increase, even with promises of Gov spending cuts over the next decade it will amount to the same thing putting a Band-aid over a Sucking Chest Wound because it will do nothing to address the real problem- Fractional Reserve Banking & a Fiat Money based Financial Economy.

Hmmm, with the recent news that apple has more money than the US government I can see a future much like that of "Oryx and crake" (Margret Atwood). Countries ran by compaines, the goverment a non existent or a puppet body. Many large corporations already had a lot of influence within the US government and now it is becoming more and more apparent how much it will grow in the future if your citizens are not careful.

TheNomad
Aug 1st, 2011, 01:04 PM
If I get a rifle skip the stick and I might just have a backpack, but I am a Nomad so it makes sense.

reaper239
Aug 2nd, 2011, 10:09 AM
Hmmm, with the recent news that apple has more money than the US government I can see a future much like that of "Oryx and crake" (Margret Atwood). Countries ran by compaines, the goverment a non existent or a puppet body. Many large corporations already had a lot of influence within the US government and now it is becoming more and more apparent how much it will grow in the future if your citizens are not careful.

trust me, it's not just the US that's in trouble, there's going to be a violent shift in the world economy if we don't get our heads out of our collective assess. the problem is the US government overstepping it's bounds intruding into it's citizens live. i say we do away with the welfare system, all the people sucking off the government need to get off their duffs and do something. the government spends money it doesn't have supporting bums (yes i know there are people who legitimately need help, but more are abusing the system than honoring it) and running up more debt. and since the world economy is based on the US dollar, that means when the dollar crashes, everyones coming with us. now it won't be "end of days/apocalyptic" but it will be bad. that's my two cents. oh and obamacare is only going to make things worse.

rant over

Nullifier
Aug 2nd, 2011, 12:58 PM
As I see it - & this in not unique to American Politics is that ALL Western Governments have done the same thing, literally borrowed Trillions to buy votes today by promising certain special interest groups their cut of the pie & pushing the loan repayments onto future generations.

The Price of Gold has never gone "up", it is just a true reflection of the complete Devaluation of the Dollar.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if it hits $2000 per ounce by the end of the month because of the Debt ceiling being raised in the US, the average Joe will see their purchasing power evaporate & Brokers/Investors will be looking to get out of Funny Money (en mass) & into real money - Gold

The US Dollar will shortly be heading into High Inflation, shortly thereafter Hyperinflation, that'll be the End Game for the World baby.

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Aug 2nd, 2011, 01:43 PM
OK.. enough with the politic'n. Lets focus this back on the topic of the thread por favor! Word of advice to keep the forum operating all PC and ish.. stay away from talking about Religion and Politics. Well, not just the forum, but everyday conversations. It'll save you a world of headaches, clenched jaws and keep you from throwing someone off the metro.

reaper239
Aug 3rd, 2011, 06:12 AM
OK.. enough with the politic'n. Lets focus this back on the topic of the thread por favor! Word of advice to keep the forum operating all PC and ish.. stay away from talking about Religion and Politics. Well, not just the forum, but everyday conversations. It'll save you a world of headaches, clenched jaws and keep you from throwing someone off the metro.

i see your point and concede... on the forums, however i am the least pc person you will ever meet, and in life i will tell you like it is. never censor yourself, certain people want us to be silent but that's what the first ammendment is all about, it is a garuntee to be offended because not everyone shares your views (btw crowbar, only the first sentence was directed at you, the rest was a generalization) alright that's all i wanted to say... be true to yourself.

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Aug 3rd, 2011, 08:02 AM
i see your point and concede... on the forums, however i am the least pc person you will ever meet, and in life i will tell you like it is. never censor yourself, certain people want us to be silent but that's what the first ammendment is all about, it is a garuntee to be offended because not everyone shares your views (btw crowbar, only the first sentence was directed at you, the rest was a generalization) alright that's all i wanted to say... be true to yourself.

Reaper,
you're talking to someone who's job it is to defend your rights. The very ones people like to flaunt, but not actually do anything about. Talk to someone else about rights your not fighting for. In the meantime, I'm asking you to stay on topic.

Solanine
Aug 3rd, 2011, 10:09 AM
Sorry crowbar. Just discussing possible causes. I meant no offence. Back to topic. We have for politics in the uk, its called the houses of parliament. I here you have something similar? xD Back to topic. @TheNomad what exactly do you mean? You travel for a living? I may be being ignorant but I more picture a nomad living hunter-gatherer style, probably without internet connection? My plans change daily, The attic of a building near me looks inviting, as does a near by bunker system. I've said it before and i'll say it again, most people in the uk are sitting ducks. The strict firearms laws mean that not many people have guns and most haven't any experience shooting them. My thoughts are a crossbow which are commonly used for pest control would be a perfect every day weapon, any thoughts? Also I could probably find my way to a gun of some sorts as the rich often come near me to hunt deer.

Brevard A. Smith
Aug 3rd, 2011, 10:48 AM
Would you board up your house or find a better location? What kind of monsters are we up against? How they change into better hunters. I am still trying to visualize what they look like. How long does it take the Behemoths to get huge. I am really curious on what people in the Navy would do. Seeing how the Japanese didn't start robbing looting and killing after the earthquakes I would try to make my way out of the U.S. to a place where people are more civil. But I know that would be near impossible. Regardless of how many weapons I would have, I would need to be surround by people I could trust. That would be the best weapon. From watching so many zombie movie I figure people are the threat you have to worry about the most.

Solanine
Aug 3rd, 2011, 02:26 PM
Hmmm, I never really gave it much thought. I suppose I thought we were in a more realistic situation. For Z-day that is. I reckon that L4D/ WA zombies would leave the average citizen with very little chance of survival. I mean if the Z's had only human capabilities e.g. their strength reflected that of the body previous to turning, then I reckon we could survive well enough. But Behemoths, runners and jumpers make survival less likely. Even the fact that Wa zombies seem faster than the average human. I agree though standard rules of engagement seem like a good idea. If we wanted to get really nerdy we could split up into three threads Wa, shamblers and a mid point.

dontkillburt
Aug 3rd, 2011, 03:09 PM
Well, since I live fairly immediate to where We're Alive is all happening (right next to LAX) I'd probably head straight to the Tower...oops, looks like there is some smoke coming up from over there this week. Let me rethink that. Okay, I like the lets take-over the police station idea.

But that all seems strange...just where are all the cops in We're Alive? One would think some of those folks might have survived, since all LAPD are armed to the teeth after the North Hollywood shootout back in 1997.

The reminder of our police all sort of disappearing altogether right when the Rodney King riot broke out kind of rings a bell though. Maybe they did the same thing here.

I'll stay with the police station. Come and get me.

Nullifier
Aug 3rd, 2011, 07:32 PM
just where are all the cops in We're Alive? One would think some of those folks might have survived, since all LAPD are armed to the teeth after the North Hollywood shootout back in 1997.

The reminder of our police all sort of disappearing altogether right when the Rodney King riot broke out kind of rings a bell though. Maybe they did the same thing here.

Probably did the same as a 3rd of them did just prior to Katrina hitting New Orleans, buggered off out of the state to save their families, when it comes down to it, they are just like anybody else, over the last couple of generations, people have been conditioned to look toward an authority figure to guide them during a crisis, I've seen it first hand, people wonder around aimlessly with blank expressions on their faces with no idea what to do, you have to break away from that sort of thinking & realize that when it comes down to it, the only person you can rely on is yourself.

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Aug 4th, 2011, 05:59 AM
What kind of monsters are we up against? How they change into better hunters. I am still trying to visualize what they look like. How long does it take the Behemoths to get huge. I am really curious on what people in the Navy would do. Seeing how the Japanese didn't start robbing looting and killing after the earthquakes I would try to make my way out of the U.S. to a place where people are more civil. But I know that would be near impossible. Regardless of how many weapons I would have, I would need to be surround by people I could trust. That would be the best weapon. From watching so many zombie movie I figure people are the threat you have to worry about the most.

Brevard.. welcome aboard Troop!
What would the Navy do? They'd die like everyone else. Those that are on the ships will survive of course. The type of threat is unknown. All you know is that "IT's" going to hell real quick like and you need to do something quicker in order to save your ass.
The Strategy remains the same no matter what. Now, your tactics will change depending on the threat though. But again, you won't know that until you've jumped in a hole and pulled it closed.
So, take a look at your city, your block or the county and try to figure out where a safe place would be and how would you defend it.
Like me for instance: I have 4 gun shops within 3 miles of my apartment. One highly fortified high school, one police training station, one fire department, 3 grocery stores, 2 CVS and 1 Wallgreens. I'm headed for the HS because of it's location and strong physical defense.

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Aug 4th, 2011, 06:07 AM
Sorry crowbar. Just discussing possible causes. I meant no offence. Back to topic. We have for politics in the uk, its called the houses of parliament. I here you have something similar? xD Back to topic. @TheNomad what exactly do you mean? You travel for a living? I may be being ignorant but I more picture a nomad living hunter-gatherer style, probably without internet connection? My plans change daily, The attic of a building near me looks inviting, as does a near by bunker system. I've said it before and i'll say it again, most people in the uk are sitting ducks. The strict firearms laws mean that not many people have guns and most haven't any experience shooting them. My thoughts are a crossbow which are commonly used for pest control would be a perfect every day weapon, any thoughts? Also I could probably find my way to a gun of some sorts as the rich often come near me to hunt deer.

Solanine,

No biggie mate. There's just a time and place for all things. No censorship, just redirecting energies is all, plus Freedom of Speech is different than Freedom of Expression and that what was going on here.

gaijinpunk
Aug 14th, 2011, 12:43 PM
Bug-Out-Bags (for self and fam): ready.
Weapons: ready.
Ammo: purchased.
Supplies: 6 month stored.
Alternate location: scouted.
Group: ready for notification.
Crowbar: handy.
Time to survive!

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Sep 6th, 2011, 11:22 AM
Bug-Out-Bags (for self and fam): ready.
Weapons: ready.
Ammo: purchased.
Supplies: 6 month stored.
Alternate location: scouted.
Group: ready for notification.
Crowbar: handy.
Time to survive!

heheh. Crowbar!

Solanine
Sep 6th, 2011, 11:55 PM
Fossilised? hehe he. he he. he.
@gaijinpunk well done. as for me. Bug out bag not packed. No weapons (unless you count a crowbar and a hatchet). You don't need to reload a blade. Supplies ready to go steal them when the owners move on. Group I prefer lone wolf. Two at max. Crowbar tick. Time to fail.

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Sep 7th, 2011, 05:14 AM
...and I do count a Crowbar... I do, I dooo!

Jon Jasper
Sep 12th, 2011, 12:26 PM
If all hell broke loose.... Zombies, EMP, Natural Disaster, Nuclear, Economic Collapse, Aliens, Extinction Level Event, foreign Army Invasion (unlikely where I live - USA) I would activate my continuity plan. Yes I have one! It sounds weird but after Katrina I got my house in order. That was an eye opener for me. Especially when more than half of the police force bugged out to tend to their own families. Where I live we don't have a city police force. The County Sheriff’s department would be tasked with securing a very large Area. I can't depend on them in a situation like this. So I started my plan... The plan of course differs with each scenario but let’s flip to page 42 shall we......yep there it is. Social Unrest (I think Zombies fall into this category)

Me personally… I would minimize contact with the outside world. I would hole up in my house. The people that travel are usually the ones that get “caught up” out in the wild. I would sit tight and assess the situation before I moved anywhere. If we are talking about zombies.. Then I would definitely board up the windows in my house. I don’t have a perimeter fence but I have an idea for one. I would gather up all the plastic trash receptacles in my neighborhood, fill them with dirt and create a ring around my house (2 deep / 2 High). This of course would take some serious effort but it’s an idea anyways… Once the SHTF I would load all my guns fire up my radios and see what’s happening.

Weapons
– I’m pretty squared away in this department:
Stag M2 - that’s an M4 / AR15 for all you non-gun guys / gals out there))
Romanian AK-47
Mossberg 500 Riot Gun (12GA)
Mossberg 500 Bird Gun (20GA)
Ruger 10/22 Tactical
Marlin 22LR Bolt Action
Sig Sauer P220
Browning .243 BAR

And about 10,000 rounds between them all!!!

Melee Weapons consist of Baseball Bats, Machete, a SOG Tomahawk, Golf Clubs and assorted fixed and folding blades.

Food – You can never have enough
I have about a year’s supply worth of food (for 4 people). Mostly vacuum sealed 5 gallon buckets of Rice and various other canned food. Ramen Noodles of course!

Water – The area I live has a high water table. So I would simply use a manual pump to get water. I have a jack rabbit pump in the event I need water or fuel.

Shelter – I live in a single family home. It’s not Fort Knox but it will have to do! It has a wood burning fireplace along with a safe room I built in the basement. The safe room was originally designed to remain intact in the event of a direct hit from a tornado. That should keep Zed out! I do have two fall back positions if my home get’s overrun. Neither of which are close….

Having said all that a jumper would probably jump through my Skylight and get me! LOL

That’s my Zombie Survival Plan!

yarri
Sep 12th, 2011, 01:25 PM

But wouldn't they also house some nasty elements? Like criminals?

CaseyJones
Sep 12th, 2011, 01:51 PM
Weapons
– I’m pretty squared away in this department:
Stag M2 - that’s an M4 / AR15 for all you non-gun guys / gals out there))
Romanian AK-47
Mossberg 500 Riot Gun (12GA)
Mossberg 500 Bird Gun (20GA)
Ruger 10/22 Tactical
Marlin 22LR Bolt Action
Sig Sauer P220
Browning .243 BAR

And about 10,000 rounds between them all!!!

Melee Weapons consist of Baseball Bats, Machete, a SOG Tomahawk, Golf Clubs and assorted fixed and folding blades.

If they're the 'Dawn Of The Dead *1' zoms, then we have various sporting goods shops to help us get by.
If they're the 'Dawn Of The Dead *2' zoms, (or the WA ones for that matter,) well we're pretty much screwed.
Looks like I'd be headed for Jon Jaspers house. Enough resource to invade a small country by the sound of it.
Be a bit of a trip though.
We don't have quite the access to hardware over here (UK) and would mostly employ pre-prepared "Keep Out (please)" and "Please Behave Reasonably" signs, falling back, if necesary, on a last resort of harsh language.
But only as a last resort.
Personally I prefer Mr Jaspers chances to my own.

Solanine
Sep 12th, 2011, 02:23 PM
And when the semetex hits the fan, where can I find you? xD Pretty cool stash. Do you not run the risk of becoming a target?

Jon Jasper
Sep 12th, 2011, 08:32 PM
That cracked me up! "Pre-prepared Keep out Please Signs"

Becoming a target: Maybe by Mallers... lol.... I don't think my "stash" would gather that type attention. And if it did they better have their shit wired tight! I can hit moving targets out to 200 meters with alarming regularity. :mad:

If you guys find yourself SOL in the UK... hop on a boat and set a vector of 2 7 0. Once you hit the banks of the US, head inland until you hit the Mississippi river. Follow that North until you hit the City of Minneapolis / St Paul. Continue to follow the river for about 25 Miles (40.23km) Hook left about 5 miles (8km) and look for the 3 500ft blinking radio towers. (Come to think of it they probably won't be blinking by the time you get here... :) I'll be in the house ringed with plastic trash recepticals! lol

Futuristic_Aussie
Sep 12th, 2011, 11:01 PM
I have nothing except kitchen knives :/ how do you think I feel?!

I suppose I would pack the car with food, medical stuff and other basic essentials. Anything I can pretty much find. I'd get my dog and leg it and probably my family if there is room haha. I'd stop at fuel stations along the way and pick up anything I could use as a weapon.

Solanine
Sep 12th, 2011, 11:43 PM
Yeah, americans sometimes don't grasp how F****** most britain are.
Maybe if I had a boat. And a crew. And didn't have the perfect survival place (Minus a supply of serious weapons).
"Avoid suspicion by not lacing you shoes in a melon field" Chinese proverb.

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Sep 13th, 2011, 09:03 AM
That cracked me up! "Pre-prepared Keep out Please Signs"

Becoming a target: Maybe by Mallers... lol.... I don't think my "stash" would gather that type attention. And if it did they better have their shit wired tight! I can hit moving targets out to 200 meters with alarming regularity. :mad:

If you guys find yourself SOL in the UK... hop on a boat and set a vector of 2 7 0. Once you hit the banks of the US, head inland until you hit the Mississippi river. Follow that North until you hit the City of Minneapolis / St Paul. Continue to follow the river for about 25 Miles (40.23km) Hook left about 5 miles (8km) and look for the 3 500ft blinking radio towers. (Come to think of it they probably won't be blinking by the time you get here... :) I'll be in the house ringed with plastic trash recepticals! lol

ROFL! Jasper, great plan man! What do you have for medical supplies? Our peeps in the UK will just have to get their hands dirty then. We'll have an island full of melee experts!

Solanine
Sep 13th, 2011, 11:45 AM
We already are.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3g61xASD-24

Seriously though, its not so bad in some places, a nice sprinkling of hunting rifle's etc in combination with other weapons like crossbows that are often used for pest control. And fire.
Ima survive long enough to see the last zombie rot away.

Jon Jasper
Sep 13th, 2011, 11:46 AM
First Aid.... I have a pretty good FAK (First Aid Kit) Nothing that would last forever but it should get me past the first wave.

Kit Includes: Adhesive tape, Antibiotic ointment, Antiseptic solution or towelettes Bandages, roll of elastic wrap and bandage strips in assorted sizes
Instant cold packs, Cotton balls and cotton-tipped swabs, Disposable latex or synthetic gloves, Duct tape, Gauze pads and roller gauze in assorted sizes, Eye goggles, First-aid manual, Petroleum jelly, Plastic bags for the disposal of contaminated materials, Safety pins in assorted sizes, Tooth preservation kit consisting of salt solution and a sealable travel case, Scissors, tweezers and a needle, Soap or instant hand sanitizer, saline solution, Thermometer, Triangular bandage, Turkey baster or other bulb suction device for flushing out wounds, Various pain relievers, Aloe vera gel, Anti-diarrhea medication Over-the-counter oral antihistamine, Aspirin pain relievers, Calamine lotion, hydrocortisone cream, Bloodstopper, Hydrogen Peroxide & a Splint Kit .... I might have forgot a few things but that's about it. :)

Solanine
Sep 13th, 2011, 12:26 PM
Ok, there's being prepared, then there's paranoia and then there's this. If there wasn't an ocean and so many Z's in the way, i'd be throwing my eggs in you basket come the end of life as we know it.

Jon Jasper
Sep 13th, 2011, 12:48 PM
LOL. That sounds like a lot of stuff but it all came in a duffle bag I bought online for $75. I've augmented it a bit with pain releivers and whatnot but honestly every household should have one of these. Especially if you live in an area prone to natural disasters. For me it's tornados.

www.cheaperthandirt.com (http://www.cheaperthandirt.com ) for all your zombie survival needs!

Solanine
Sep 13th, 2011, 11:39 PM
We have a first aid kit complete with bandages, antibiotics, iodine and the like along with pain relief. As there are have been no natural disasters in my area (with the exception of the occasional hurricane) we have never had the need. By the time the infection gets near me, me and PrivateParts will have grabbed what we need and have bugged out. Probably having stolen what meds we need from a local surgery.

aaronarturus
Sep 21st, 2011, 02:58 AM
Seeing as I live in central Tokyo, I'm pretty sure I'd be utterly screwed. If the zombocalypse hit during a weekday at noon that'd mean close to 35 million zombies roaming around. I live in a 32 floor apartment building on the 11th floor, so if I could secure the one floor and block off both stairways I'd be pretty safe. After living through the March 11th earthquake and subsequent food, water and gas shortages, I stocked up on supplies. Got enough water for at least a month for 3 people, medical supplies, canned food, sleeping bags in case I need to rough it outside, high-power flashlights with lots of spare batteries, emergency packs stocked and ready to go at a moment's notice, and a bunch of other stuff. No guns or weapons, which are nearly impossible to find in Japan, but I do have a blue crowbar I named Cherenkov, and I do know a few stores that sell antique katana, so if I could make it across town I'd be able to get some blades. There's the police station about 10 blocks away, so if I could get into that armory I'd at least have a few revolvers. Plus I live on an island so if I could destroy all bridges or block them with cars I could seal off an area. But in all likelihood I'd be chewed up the second I got out of my house. Too many walking corpses to dodge here.

Solanine
Sep 21st, 2011, 08:43 AM
Hmm, ever thought of BUYING a Katana? That way you would at least have one ready. The island bit is an advantage, how sturdy are the bridges? In your situation Blow bridges and then a gradual cull of zombies would be the way to go IMO. I have no Idea how much a katana is btw, or if the ones sold would be of any actual use ( I would imagine the need for well crafted, combat ready blades is pretty low. "Cherenkov" would probably do.

reaper239
Sep 21st, 2011, 09:54 AM
see the problem is the same thing they faced in wwz, jusr because it's an island doesn't mean zeds can't get to it. i wouldn't want to be trapped on zombie infested japan anyway, 35 mil, that's just tokyo right? i mean correct me if i'm wrong, but japan is one of the most densely populated areas in the world right? i'd want to be in the midwest US, there's a reason it's farm country, and it's poulation is spread much further. as it is im on the east coast of the US and things are a little to dense for me HERE, much less tokyo.

Solanine
Sep 21st, 2011, 12:57 PM
I agree but I'm not sure he has the option of living in the mid west of the united states just because his current home is a zombie nightmare. Also I reckon a less dependant, less stable country would be best. Self dependence, easy access to weapons and the higher likely hood of being trained to use those weapons.

reaper239
Sep 21st, 2011, 01:54 PM
you clearly do not know that about 9/10ths of the US population is armed. i believe a japanese general in WWII once said "you could not invade mainland USA because there would be a rifle behind every blade of grass." and it's true, i'm always clearing rifle parts out of my lawnmower. nah in all seriousness, the US is the most heavily armed country in the world. and of course there's no way i could get to the midwest in the event of a zombie outbreak, i was just saying that is the least populated, workable land in the US. i don't know what's comparable elsewhere but that's where i'd idealy like to be.

zombie sniper
Sep 21st, 2011, 06:57 PM
me and my friends are going to get an R.V and fortify it with my 50ft + of chain link and 10-11 assorted guns+ammo,stuff it with canned food and knives, bats,axs ect. and find K.c and Burt:)

Amisiel
Sep 21st, 2011, 09:57 PM
I think being inside a RV with burt would drive me batty! Gotta love the man but not for me.

Im heading north, I want to be a penguin. Hehe.. Possibly a Ami-sicle

Solanine
Sep 22nd, 2011, 04:57 AM
I think being inside a RV with burt would drive me batty! Gotta love the man but not for me.

Im heading north, I want to be a penguin. Hehe.. Possibly a Ami-sicle

How the hell will you fight of zombies with an umbrella? xD

aaronarturus
Sep 22nd, 2011, 05:30 AM
Well, you need a permit in Japan to buy a "real" Japanese sword, and from what I hear they aren't easy to come buy. Of course I could always buy one from Bugei, but I'm pretty sure it would never make it through customs (and those things aren't cheap anyway). I'm positive those things would cut though :)

And it's not that I don't have the option of moving to the midwest, just that Tokyo is home, and has been for a long time now. Although I am moving back to Boston next year (say what you want about zombies, but megaquakes are really and truly scary).

Solanine
Sep 22nd, 2011, 08:42 AM
Now earthquakes on the other hand are a much more reasonable excuse for moving.

Daddy Doom Bar
Sep 22nd, 2011, 12:08 PM
This is where I'm going to hole up. It's a house on a cliff in Newquay. The only way to the cliff is by that bridge. It has it's own generator and water purifying supply from the sea (apparently). A droppable rope ladder or two with boats tied to the rocks set up for quick getaways or a sneaky way off, and voila - instant protection. Plus there's plenty of shops/warehouses in Newquay for raiding, but it's not so big that there would be millions of zeds to put up with.

Solanine
Sep 22nd, 2011, 01:11 PM
Nice, you'll be plenty safe out there, any thoughts about food.

Daddy Doom Bar
Sep 22nd, 2011, 01:43 PM
Nice, you'll be plenty safe out there, any thoughts about food. For a start, I'm a decent sea fisherman. Second, there are quite a few shops and a food distribution warehouse in Newquay, so food wouldn't be a prob for a bit. I live a little way (about 20 miles) from Newquay, but on the way there is an Air Force base, so I'd hope that if the base had people/arms in it, I'd be fine, if not, it's on to the cliff house. Mind you, it's a well known place, so maybe lots of others would have the same idea...

Solanine
Sep 22nd, 2011, 01:47 PM
For a start, I'm a decent sea fisherman. Second, there are quite a few shops and a food distribution warehouse in Newquay, so food wouldn't be a prob for a bit. I live a little way (about 20 miles) from Newquay, but on the way there is an Air Force base, so I'd hope that if the base had people/arms in it, I'd be fine, if not, it's on to the cliff house. Mind you, it's a well known place, so maybe lots of others would have the same idea...
Fishing is good but outside of that? Long term a wide diet is necessary. Other people having the same idea could also be a disadvantage.
Brilliant find though, very defensible.

Daddy Doom Bar
Sep 22nd, 2011, 01:50 PM
Long term? I don't think I'd worry about long term for a while. I think day to day is what I'd be concentrating on. If the zeds start dying out, then farming and finding others would become a priority. But yeah, that place would be perfect to hold out long enough to survive the initial attacks, if I could get there.
Think I'd have to fortify my house (as it's pretty remote anyway) and prepare to move out as soon as possible.

Amisiel
Sep 22nd, 2011, 02:29 PM
How the hell will you fight of zombies with an umbrella? xD

Hey even with a umbrella I think I could make it atleast a few days im crafty like that

Solanine
Sep 22nd, 2011, 02:31 PM
I suppose. Tbh, long term I don't think many of us will survive. For example I have remoteness and a plentiful food supply on my id but very little offensive capability and I lack the skills necessary to turn all those animals into gourmet meals.

Amisiel
Sep 22nd, 2011, 02:34 PM
So would you try to make it work, or take the cowards way out?

Solanine
Sep 22nd, 2011, 11:44 PM
Its a bit like asking a girl out, if you do it you might be rejected but she might say yes, if you don't she won't say yes.

So in other words, its called the cowards way out for a reason!

reaper239
Sep 23rd, 2011, 06:16 AM
see you don't need to be a chef though, one or two books on food preservation and you can can make a small herd of... anything last a very long time. plus if there's workable ground you can plant some vegetables. that's not to say it won't be hard work, but if you are of even average intelligence you can make these things work well within the scope of your abilities. regarding offensive capabilities, that may be a problem, but even that can be worked around; a baseball bat doesn't require an insanely powerful muscle man to be a deadly weapon, same goes for any sizeable blunt object. see that's the beauty of humanity, if you cut them loose and remove some of the restrictions of overly invasive governments, they can do amazing things (no i am not advocating anarchy, i acknowledge that some government is required to maintain order, however to much leads to tyranny and oppression.) the human ability to adapt and overcome is stunning.

edit: rereading this, i didn't mean to turn this into a political thread, but i will let my comments stand so people can see why my comments are what they are.

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Sep 23rd, 2011, 06:52 AM
I do have a blue crowbar I named Cherenkov, and I do know a few stores that sell antique katana, so if I could make it across town I'd be able to get some blades. There's the police station about 10 blocks away, so if I could get into that armory I'd at least have a few revolvers. Plus I live on an island so if I could destroy all bridges or block them with cars I could seal off an area. But in all likelihood I'd be chewed up the second I got out of my house. Too many walking corpses to dodge here.

You named your Crowbar? Sweet! LOL.
I'd give up trying to destroy a bridge. You need crazy amounts of explosives and the training (maybe you are a structural engineer).

I'd seal off the floor below and the floor above then go about slowly hunting any infected that occupy those floors. You might want to get Cherenkov a brother

reaper239
Sep 23rd, 2011, 07:09 AM
hey guys, i figured survival deserved a much more in depth discussion, so i created a group. if you feel like a deeper discussion on the actual act of surviving a disaster, check it out: The Survivalists

Daddy Doom Bar
Sep 24th, 2011, 07:25 AM
Where I live is fairly out of the way. Its miles away from the nearest city, and the biggest towns around here wouldn't present too much of a problem. Plus, any kind of outbreak would hopefully start in major centres of population, so I think we'd have a pretty good warning its on it's way. Mind you, I suppose that's more time for people here to panic and start raiding shops.

Cromulent Frog
Sep 26th, 2011, 11:16 PM
I've got a shotgun and pistol along with a samurai sword, machete, and other knives. I'd load up my internal frame backpack with meds, first aid, water, food that can last a long time, and as much ammunition I could carry. Then I'd throw it in my car and take my wife and dog with me to where I do a lot of freelance work. It's a secure place that requires electronic badge entry to get into the building. It also has back up power generators so power, water, and internet access (hopefully) would still be working. Living in Texas I feel certain I'd come across other armed people where trade and barter for ammunition is possible and our natural friendly nature but stubborn instinct to defend ourselves would allow me to form a strong, cohesive band of people to fight off the hordes.

If that doesn't work I'll make way to get up to the rockies. A frozen zombie is a slow zombie is a easy target!

Solanine
Sep 26th, 2011, 11:51 PM
I've got a shotgun and pistol along with a samurai sword, machete, and other knives. I'd load up my internal frame backpack with meds, first aid, water, food that can last a long time, and as much ammunition I could carry. Then I'd throw it in my car and take my wife and dog with me to where I do a lot of freelance work. It's a secure place that requires electronic badge entry to get into the building. It also has back up power generators so power, water, and internet access (hopefully) would still be working. Living in Texas I feel certain I'd come across other armed people where trade and barter for ammunition is possible and our natural friendly nature but stubborn instinct to defend ourselves would allow me to form a strong, cohesive band of people to fight off the hordes.

If that doesn't work I'll make way to get up to the rockies. A frozen zombie is a slow zombie is a easy target!

Sounds good, how remote is this work place (im thinking about disease).

Teej
Dec 10th, 2011, 08:27 PM
1)If away from home, get home using my get home kit, which i always have, entailing:
-CCW w/ 20rds 9mm HP
-Enough gas to get home (always keep my tank this full when possible)
-pocket knife
-tactical flashlight
-map including back streets
-emergency kit with basic tools, enough food/water for a day, and minor first aid
2)grab wife and premade bug out bag which currently is an external frame pack with the following
-enough long term emergency rations for 3 days
-fixed blade survival knife with attached fire starter
-100 ft of 550-paracord
-backpacking cooking set/utensils
-sleeping bag and tarp
-2 rifles, one shotgun, and a second handgun plus 100+rds for each
-etc, you get the point, moral is, it is already ready to grab and go
3)drive as far as possible out of the city and meet up with friends if i can reach them by cell
4)when driving is no longer possible go by foot, already being able to hike extanded miles with a 100lb pack here is essential
5)set up camp in places as remote as possible until final destination is reached, scavenging for replacement supplies where ever possible
6)establish camp in remote wilderness location pre-decided upon and use survival skills learned from childhood to live as far from possible enemies as possible

the secret to any good survival plan is that it is already in place because when the shit hits the fan you will not have time to get it ready then, regardless of if its zombies or economic colapse. "Luck is where preparedness meets opportunity"

also a note to all those who plan on raiding a gun store: as an avid gun owner/hunter, most people who own guns (ie. gun store owners) generally would like to keep their guns in a SHTF scenario and are very skilled in their use to allow them to do so, picture Burt not locked in the bathroom and without the shakes... just some food for thought

random_highjinx
Dec 10th, 2011, 09:47 PM
Currently, I'd probably be screwed here in Tokyo. There is really only two option. (well, three if you include suicide) But I'd either make a break for the US military base here and try to get myself onto one of the warships, or I would try to fortify our second floor apartment. But either way, it doesn't look too good.

Traden
Dec 11th, 2011, 04:02 AM
So far as i can tell in my area (Alberta, Canada) the most survivable safest area would be in the rocky mountains near Jasper national park. its my plan to get to jasper, by vehicle or by foot depending on how things turn out hell even via bike if necesary. the plan is to get to whistler mountain, they have a gas operated sky tram that can get you up the mountain in less than 30 mins. Failing that a hike up the mountain wouldnt take more than a day. hauling gear up would take a few trips if the tram is down but it wouldnt be difficult. at the top of the mountain they have a challet. the Challet is built quite strong with reinforced glass windows and reinforced structure due to the high winds and weather on the mountain. its completeley remote and would be very easy living off the land. lots of water and tons of game if you know how to hunt it. the population of jasper is tiny being a tourist town approx 7 thousand locals and maybe 6 thousand tourists at any given time.

The main reson i have chosen this location is the small amount of poplulation and high amount of wildlife, being a national park no one is currently allowed to hunt any animals in Jasper. Plus most people living in jasper have some kind of firearm or another (for protection from bears and cugars). as far as gear goes i have that allready packed and good to go at a moments notice. russian SKS 7.62 x 32 ammunition with 1000 rounds, glock 9mm with 500 rounds, a hunting crosbow with 33 bolts and tons of other survival gear. was contemplating a 12 gauge shotgun but im not sure how a shotgun would fair vs a zombie skull with buckshot loaded.

Anyways if and when Z-Day happens it is my hope that all of your Z-Day plans work out. In the case that your plan does not work for any of you, come to jasper national park and find me on my mountain there will be tons of room and... free Cake!

Luna Guardian
Dec 11th, 2011, 08:51 AM
If all hell broke loose right now, I'd sigh contentedly knowing that I wouldn't have to take my finals next week...

Solanine
Dec 11th, 2011, 11:51 PM
So far as i can tell in my area (Alberta, Canada) the most survivable safest area would be in the rocky mountains near Jasper national park. its my plan to get to jasper, by vehicle or by foot depending on how things turn out hell even via bike if necesary. the plan is to get to whistler mountain, they have a gas operated sky tram that can get you up the mountain in less than 30 mins. Failing that a hike up the mountain wouldnt take more than a day. hauling gear up would take a few trips if the tram is down but it wouldnt be difficult. at the top of the mountain they have a challet. the Challet is built quite strong with reinforced glass windows and reinforced structure due to the high winds and weather on the mountain. its completeley remote and would be very easy living off the land. lots of water and tons of game if you know how to hunt it. the population of jasper is tiny being a tourist town approx 7 thousand locals and maybe 6 thousand tourists at any given time.

The main reson i have chosen this location is the small amount of poplulation and high amount of wildlife, being a national park no one is currently allowed to hunt any animals in Jasper. Plus most people living in jasper have some kind of firearm or another (for protection from bears and cugars). as far as gear goes i have that allready packed and good to go at a moments notice. russian SKS 7.62 x 32 ammunition with 1000 rounds, glock 9mm with 500 rounds, a hunting crosbow with 33 bolts and tons of other survival gear. was contemplating a 12 gauge shotgun but im not sure how a shotgun would fair vs a zombie skull with buckshot loaded.

Anyways if and when Z-Day happens it is my hope that all of your Z-Day plans work out. In the case that your plan does not work for any of you, come to jasper national park and find me on my mountain there will be tons of room and... free Cake!

Nice plan, my brother has visited whistler. Wants to move out their after school. I see your population of of bout 13 thousand per time, and I one-up you, try three hundred.

Traden
Dec 12th, 2011, 02:12 AM
haha thanks, well 300 is most certainly more manageable than 13 thousand. ive thought of trying for smaller town around that population but couldnt find much on google maps lol. are there many small communities like that in alberta you think?

Solanine
Dec 13th, 2011, 11:14 AM
I doubt it really, this is one of the most remote communities in the uk. Weapons are rarer over here though or guns at least.

not_infected
Dec 13th, 2011, 02:31 PM
Honestly, I'd be dead. Two out of my three-person family are medication dependent.

HOWEVER, I do love to plan for the coming apocalypse and have done so since childhood.

1. Walgreens is within walking distance. a) Drugs for my own health and for the health of other survivors. b) Food and etc. for survival. c) Drugs and cigarettes for currency.
2. The county Emergency Operations Center is also within walking distance of my house, and that is a fortress.

Of course getting there would be a problem, as I have no weapons, but in my pretend universe, I am a super badass and could protect us all whilst also carrying the contents of a Walgreens on my back.

Betterundeadliving
Jan 8th, 2012, 11:55 AM
Hey guys! I love the "what would you do" discussion and want to start a Blog about that topic. i created a blog today called: better undead living http://betterundeadliving.blogspot.com
i want to write about the ideas and projects that are also mentioned in the show. For example: - how to collect rainwater and store it over a long time. -how to build a oven inside without dying of a carbon monoxide poisoning. -how to hot wire a car (the characters in "we're alive" could use that skill a lot) -Locations of safe houses near you.

so what would you like to read about? or do you already have tutorials that you think should be on the blog?

btw. i like the idea of a airship to escape the undead horror :)

awkwardalex
Jan 8th, 2012, 04:51 PM
I'd go and track down KC cause he seems to know what to do

OR if that fails I'd go to COSTCO!

mageftw
Jan 8th, 2012, 10:30 PM
i have a machete at my house but i won't last long so i will go a prison about a 2 hour drive from my house

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Jan 10th, 2012, 10:42 AM
We rarely pay attention to our surroundings or what they have in the house that could actually be of use.
For those of you who say "I don't have anything in my house.."
Yeah, you do. Remember, Zomies/Infected numbers grow as the days go by, so the human factor is the first problem. That first couple days is when you have to be decisive.

Weapons wise: well, the first place to look is in your kitchen. a nice iron skillet or TWO will work wonders. A broom or mop handle will help, but not for long. Those things are made of thin plastic these days, but all you need is something to help you create space. Better yet, use the rod in your closets. It'll be metal or wood.
Bleach to hide your scent and wash away any blood. It's also pretty good to use on anyone (living) trying to get in your house.
That can of raid is pretty flammable, as are many things in the house. Read your labels.... oven cleaners... whew.. oven cleaners

That tire iron sitting near your spare tire would be one hella good blunt object. Off all the things you can get your hands on, this is it. EVERYONE has a tire iron.

Take as many car batteries as you can. The uses for those goes on and on and on.

Your surroundings? How close is the nearest police station? What about the CVS/Walgreens/Wal-Mart/Target/Grocery Store??
How may hardware stores are within a mile walking distance? Where exactly is a pawn or gun shop? Is there a car rental agency near? Take a moving van, drive that sucka through the front and load up.

In your apartment complex, how many buildings are there? How many apartments per building? raiding possibilities. Start paying attention to the commercial buildings around you. Is the entrance all glass? Most schools are build like forts now, see what the nearest one looks like.

Thing is, don't give up. Don't think because you don't have a room full of ammo or a collection of swords, mean that you can't defend yourself.

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Jan 10th, 2012, 10:59 AM
One last thing, don't think you can't afford a handgun either. Buy used or look at Kel-Tec's PF-9 ($300) but better yet, Hi-Point's CF-308 runs you $140.00, the C-9 runs $165 and their 40 caliber is around two hundred bucks! Any HS kid can save their allowance and buy $165 dollars worth of a gun. Hell, that 2 video games damn near.

reaper239
Jan 11th, 2012, 06:59 AM
zactly, i found a mosin nagant rifle for about $135. here's the thing: those don't break. i mean short of running it over in a dump truck or something. if you can pick one up and find a bayonet, even if you run out of ammo, those are sturdy pieces of hardware, and the bayonet is like as long as your arm. the mossberg maverick 88 is a little over $100, shotguns are one of the most useful and versatile weapons know to man, just because in call of duty, the shotgun won't do anything past 20 feet doesn't make it true. buckshot can reach out and touch someone, and if you have a rifled slug you can really put a hurting on someone at range. even if you don't kill them at rang with buckshot, they'll go away, it's true. no one likes to be shot, by anything.

if, however, you have the scratch to pick up a mad decent gun, i would suggest the Kel-Tec KSG shotgun (http://keltecweapons.com/our-guns/shotguns/ksg/). it's the first ever bullpup design shotgun with twin 7-round feedtubes for a total of 14 rounds. the unique design means you can have slugs and buckshot loaded and switch between the two with the flick of a lever. there is so much awesome packed into this shotgun that the first time i saw it i had to change my shorts (crap a brick or jizz in my pants, i'll let you decide which). if shotguns aren't your speed, if you prefer an AR platform but fear that it may be cost prohibitive to buy one, fear no more: the Del-Ton DTI-4 rifle is here (http://www.del-ton.com/DTI_16_DTI_4_Rifle_p/rftm16-0.htm). cheap, economical, and still one of the best AR platforms on the market. a little bare bones, but what do you want for $750 (cheap is a relative term). wanna take that barebones AR from just plain awesome to complete bad-assery? check out combat sport supply (http://www.combatsportsupply.com/utgm4handguardrailmounts.aspx). here you can find good quality accessories for your gun (once you've bought one) for a good price. you can also find tactical gear, so... fun. well, that's all i have.

reaper239
Jan 11th, 2012, 07:08 AM
a quick survival tip that will help you with interpersonal relationships: learn how to homebrew. beer has been used as a currency since before there was currency. the ancient egyptians used beer to pay their workers, and in an apocalypse, being able to make beer and trade it to people will make you the one guy no one want's to go without. learn how to make it right and you can make a beer that is low in alcohol, and high in dietary supplements. you could also refer to it as a meal in a glass. if you're the only guy in your area who knows how to brew, no one will mess with you in the apocalypse, because everyone wants beer.

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Jan 11th, 2012, 08:36 AM
Reaper,
I've really been noticing people snapping up those rifles lately. Nice bolt action, simple, world proven and CHEAP! Personally, I'd pass on the new Kel-Tech shotty and stick with the tried and true Remington 870/Mossberg 500 pumps OR... my personal favorite (saving to buy one)... Saiga 12 semi automatic shotgun. Monster has 30 round drums available. Let me start putting 3.5 inch slugs down range with that beast.. excuse me. I got excited for a moment there.
But to get back on track... you could have a ranged weapon (Nagant) and a personal defense weapon (Hi-point .40) and come in under $400.00 dollars with ammo included. Speaking of which, I think the Nagant is what the guy was using in the second episode (season 1) of the Walking Dead, when was shooting from the top floor and saw his wife.

reaper239
Jan 11th, 2012, 09:35 AM
i don't know man, that KSG is nasty: compact, high capacity (compared to standard pump action shotguns), and the ability to load two seperate tubes so you always have whatever you need in any situation. i mispoke earlier though, i thought they were two seven round tubes, but they are six. but, it's chambered for 3 inch but accepts 3 and 2-3/4. that thing will change the tactical shotgun game imo. and for a high end shotgun, it's not bad priced. i know what you mean about the bolt actions though, there is a pawn shop near me that i frequent and they are always rotating their bolt action stock. those things fly off the wall. the only reason the nagant hasn't gone anywhere is that it hasn't been on the wall in favor of the more expensive rifles. but that's what people are wanting in this economy, the bargain rifle, something tested that will stand up under almost anything that is reliable. i'll say this forthe russians: they know how to design some long lasting, durable, reliable hardware. the insurgents in the sandbox were digging AKs out of the sand, knocking the sand out of them, popping clips in, and going to town. not the most accurate, but hey, it shoots.

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Jan 11th, 2012, 10:49 AM
hahahah. I looked at the Kel-Tec shotty and started slobbering, but... I'll still take the Saiga with 30 round drum. I was even thinking about the Saiga .410!
I have a friend from HS who's a weapons smith. Bastard sent me a picture on FB of an AR15 he modified with a bullpup design. Damn thing has a 50 round magazine on top and the shells eject from the old magazine well. I wet my pants. The dumb thing is that he built it with some odd caliber like 5.7 or something like that. Said he could build it for me for 850.00!

reaper239
Jan 11th, 2012, 11:00 AM
oh, that is pimpin. 5.7 isn't a terrible caliber though it'd be better with a more common round. i can see though how it would be difficult to use the 5.56 with a mag design like that, though the reason he prolly did it that way was this: http://www.accuratereloading.com/p90.jpg the p90 is already chambered for the 5.7x28. instead of reinvinting the wheel, i guess he went with something he already had. that saiga is nice though. gotta get one of the suppressed ones from red jacket. so that way, when you need to take out one of your neighbors in their sleep, you can use buckshot (untraceable) and be considerate and not wake the other neighbors. don't judge me, there's nothing wrong with me (eye twitches)

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Jan 14th, 2012, 08:30 PM
Hey check this out. Look up "Cold Rooms." I had this idea about being prepared and having an area to keep food stored at near freezing temps. I did a bit of research and it isn't that hard to do, especially if you have a basement or a room that isn't connected to an outside wall.

Solanine
Jan 15th, 2012, 04:05 AM
Cold rooms look pretty cool. Pun intended.
I've been playing around with another Idea for a while now. Not a practical one unless you were building your ultimate Z-day fortress but still.
To sterilise equipment that's not disposable in a laboratory a piece of equipment called an Autoclave is used http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autoclave .
I was recently reading about the history of the HeLa cell line and came across the method they used in the late fifties and sixties.
They had small cubicles in which they would leave all there equipment etc to be sterilised. The cubicle would then pressurise and the steam would be introduced, providing a
sterile-ish environment and equipment. Now think about this as a room that would operate a bit like an air lock. room pressurises (would have to be rather high pressure) and super heated steam is released. Allow anything in there to cook for but half an hour (or how ever long it would take) and clear up on your way out. Kills any Z's that follow you silently and without wasting ammo. Pretty energy consuming though.

reaper239
Jan 18th, 2012, 09:58 AM
how would super heated steam kill zeds?

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Jan 18th, 2012, 11:12 AM
how would super heated steam kill zeds?

Nope! It'd make a mess of them, but nothing to destroy the brain. Blunt force, puncture or acid are the only things I can think of that will do the trick.

Solanine
Jan 19th, 2012, 02:06 PM
With long enough exposure the steam would denature the proteins in the Z's cells internally an eternally killing it. Once the steam got into the Alveoli in the lungs that would be the end of it. It would no longer be able to breathe. No breath => No aerobic respiration. I reckon it would have an hour at the most if it was able to use up all of its fat reserves. By then its blood would be so acidic it would have pickled its self.

Solanine
Jan 21st, 2012, 10:31 AM
No offense ment Crowbar, I think you were using the World War Z shambling zombie type? I was assuming we were talking about living zombies rather than the impossible type :L

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Jan 23rd, 2012, 06:26 AM
Yah, you're right Sol. I instantly configure them into that genre and forget that in the KCverse, they can be gassed, electrocuted and KTFO! Wait, come to think about it, none of that stuff from earlier episodes actually killed them though...... hmmm..

Solanine
Jan 23rd, 2012, 01:47 PM
But some were obviously suffering from malnutrition. You simply can't run off nothing. The steam would prevent them from taking in oxygen. No oxygen= no aerobic respiration (how we normally respire for non biology freaks) and then the Z's are burning all the fuel they have for very little energy output. Your right about the gas bit, but Kc wouldn't be able to do many of the interesting things h is if he had to do vast amount of research into, for example, how Chloroform works. It could also be down to the way Michael made it. Too be honest though its not such a difficult process, you'd find everything you needed in a highschool chem lab.

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Apr 11th, 2012, 06:35 AM
I'm going to start posting pictures of buildings I'd hold up in and stuff I'd "try" and use. If you can, snap off some pix of stuff you thing would help you.

yoyoyoyo15
Apr 23rd, 2012, 06:22 PM
Hmmm... Well first of all I would stay home for roughly a week or two. I know for a fact that we would have enough for that amount of time... Unfortunately the closest tall building is no where close and the only ones I can think of are like office buildings... So no hotel/apartment strategy for me.

I will be with my family, so It won't be too big...

after about two weeks, most people will either be undead or fleeing to the airports, so I will gather supplies, equipment weapons(my weapon of choice at first will be a metal bat in my garage . Good reach and easily knock down any incoming dead. I would search for a crowbar and firearms) and anything else I can find. I would not want to stay at my house, as there are many ways of entry but there is not really anywhere else to go. The town I live in is mainly houses. Do you guys have any suggestions? The surrounding towns aren't much better. I would have to travel a good distance to get to any type of building over 4 stories. SUGGESTIONS ON MY NEXT MOVE?!?!?!?!

Osiris
Apr 23rd, 2012, 07:10 PM
Hmmm... Well first of all I would stay home for roughly a week or two. I know for a fact that we would have enough for that amount of time... Unfortunately the closest tall building is no where close and the only ones I can think of are like office buildings... So no hotel/apartment strategy for me.

I will be with my family, so It won't be too big...

after about two weeks, most people will either be undead or fleeing to the airports, so I will gather supplies, equipment weapons(my weapon of choice at first will be a metal bat in my garage . Good reach and easily knock down any incoming dead. I would search for a crowbar and firearms) and anything else I can find. I would not want to stay at my house, as there are many ways of entry but there is not really anywhere else to go. The town I live in is mainly houses. Do you guys have any suggestions? The surrounding towns aren't much better. I would have to travel a good distance to get to any type of building over 4 stories. SUGGESTIONS ON MY NEXT MOVE?!?!?!?!

I would strongly recommend getting out of that house ASAP. A few days seems too long a stay in your home, let alone two weeks. As far as a strategy, that's entirely dependant on where you live. If you're close enough to the outskirts of the town, your best bet is a couple of cans of gas, whatever food and medical supplies you have on hand and getting the frack out of Dodge. If you can, stick to back roads and avoid main arteries whenever possible. The more people you encounter, the more risk you take of coming across people who either want your resources or want to band together with you to drain your resources faster. If you're with your family, stick with your family. A lot of people will tell you that there is strength in numbers, but there's a much greater risk for deception in numbers, as well as attracting too much attention to you and yours.

I would suggest finding a relatively remote chunk of land with either a cabin or a farmhouse on it, fortifying and staying low and quiet until you feel you are safe enough to start organizing a way to grow food. I would also strongly suggest looking for some place with natural, moving water like a river or stream. It will not only provide a source of drinking and cleaning water, but will provide a source for power as well.

yoyoyoyo15
Apr 23rd, 2012, 07:54 PM
I would strongly recommend getting out of that house ASAP. A few days seems too long a stay in your home, let alone two weeks. As far as a strategy, that's entirely dependant on where you live. If you're close enough to the outskirts of the town, your best bet is a couple of cans of gas, whatever food and medical supplies you have on hand and getting the frack out of Dodge. If you can, stick to back roads and avoid main arteries whenever possible. The more people you encounter, the more risk you take of coming across people who either want your resources or want to band together with you to drain your resources faster. If you're with your family, stick with your family. A lot of people will tell you that there is strength in numbers, but there's a much greater risk for deception in numbers, as well as attracting too much attention to you and yours.

I would suggest finding a relatively remote chunk of land with either a cabin or a farmhouse on it, fortifying and staying low and quiet until you feel you are safe enough to start organizing a way to grow food. I would also strongly suggest looking for some place with natural, moving water like a river or stream. It will not only provide a source of drinking and cleaning water, but will provide a source for power as well.

That would have been my first reaction, just to leave ASAP, but if I just follow what everyone else is doing, I am sure to get in to a terrible situation. Staying low for at least a few days is the best idea in my opinion. Let everyone else get caught in traffic. Following the ENTIRE area around me is like suburbs. The closest possible place I could think of is about a 2 hour drive away. Plus I have no idea how to farm etc

Osiris
Apr 23rd, 2012, 07:56 PM
That would have been my first reaction, just to leave ASAP, but if I just follow what everyone else is doing, I am sure to get in to a terrible situation. Staying low for at least a few days is the best idea in my opinion. Let everyone else get caught in traffic. Following the ENTIRE area around me is like suburbs. The closest possible place I could think of is about a 2 hour drive away. Plus I have no idea how to farm etc

You might want to see to that. If you can't grow your own food, you're likely not going to survive beyond what canned foods you have. Save at least one bullet for yourself, and best of luck! :)

Dr Janus
Apr 24th, 2012, 04:43 AM
Live on a battleship or an Ocean liner for numerous obvious reasons.. But yeh... Reality wise I'd probably die since I live in one of the most populated cities in the world.. dependant on the speed of turning I may have a chance... But if I was back home in Australia... I'd prob try and find a fortified vehicle, or some kind of truck full of meat and get the hell out of dodge... bring a few bush tucker manuals, a beef jerky maker and live off the land like the hillbillies of state Alabama. I'd also bring along my trusty Banjo.

Cabbage Patch
Apr 24th, 2012, 09:24 AM
I'd prob try and find a fortified vehicle, or some kind of truck full of meat and get the hell out of dodge...

Here's a possible vehicle choice. Not truly fortified, but about as self-contained as anything you're going to find and more comfortable than most:
http://www.earthroamer.com/

Nate Eeez
Apr 24th, 2012, 09:29 AM
Right at this moment. I'm in a hospital, so I'd be raiding the pharmacy for some super antibiotics, the snack machines for food, then jack an ambulance to hightail it outta the city. Gotta pick up the wife and kids.

Dr_Marshall
Apr 24th, 2012, 04:09 PM
If I were headed to any type of vehicles, I'd be headed to a navy ship. I'd pull it a few yards off shore, in order to send scouting parties back to shore. Aside from that, I'm on a military base so getting some kind of weapon wouldn't be too hard.

Cabbage Patch
Apr 24th, 2012, 04:13 PM
Right at this moment. I'm in a hospital, so I'd be raiding the pharmacy for some super antibiotics, the snack machines for food, then jack an ambulance to hightail it outta the city. Gotta pick up the wife and kids.

If you're looting a hospital be sure to look for their emergency food supply. Somewhere near the kitchens they're supposed to have enough food on hand for the entire population of the hospital for a week. It's usually canned goods with a long shelf life, the kind of stuff you'd use to stock a bomb shelter. There should also be camp stoves with fuel, emergency water storage and water purification supplies.

Osiris
Apr 24th, 2012, 07:19 PM
And bandages. Lots of bandages.

yoyoyoyo15
Apr 25th, 2012, 07:36 AM
If a zombie infection was in a hospital and you were inside... It would be very bad... You have a bunch of sick people laying in bed... Sounds like an infestation heaven... But why does everyone want to immediately leave whatever area they are in? I don't mean that is your permanent base but if everyone in the entire area is going to one place, it won't be good. I would fortify whatever place I was in and hold out for a few days until things calm down. Then find a more permanent base. I mean if I'm wrong tell me but I don't think it is a good idea to just jump right in to your plan because more than likely you aren't the only one with that plan... Just my opinion

Cabbage Patch
Apr 25th, 2012, 10:57 AM
Let's think the hospital scenario through given what we've seen in We're Alive.

During Phase One of a zombie apocalypse you can expect the hospitals to get over run quickly and early. No matter how, or where the outbreak occurs, some of the infected are going to end up being transported to the hospital, where they are going to turn and spread the infection. The first wave of zombies, whether they come in through the doors or they come out of the emergency room, will over run the hospital and in short order it is going to be picked clean of human prey. The key to survival during this phase is to find a good place to hide and secure yourself. I'd suggest locking yourself in the most secure room you can find (radiology labs, store rooms, etc.) and douse the approaches with alcohol to hide your scent.

In Phase Two you can expect most of the zombies to leave in search of places where there is still prey. We saw this We're Alive at The Tower, and The Other Tower, where all but a handful of zombie hangers-on were gone by the time survivors searched the locations. Even Cain Memorial Hospital seemed to be occupied by just a handful of lurkers and malingerers up to the point that the zombie army arrived, presumably from the Stadium. This would be the time to search the hospital to gather supplies, look for other survivors and make your plans. Just be sure to arm yourself to deal with the lurkers!

Sidebar Question, do the We're Alive zombies turn injured or sick humans, or do they just kill them? The only example I can remember of a "disabled" zombie I can remember is Cindy, Angel's girlfriend, who appears to have had two broken legs. And there's a strong likelihood that that happened either after she was turned or while it was happening. In a hospital scenario this is important because it could significantly impact the number of zombies that linger at the hospital.

Phase Three of a hospital scenario would involve gathering supplies and preparing for the long term. A hospital should be a great place to collect supplies. We've already discussed medicine and medical supplies. We know that there should be a lot of food present in the facility, both for the daily use of the residents and shelf-stable emergency supplies. It should also be possible to find a supply of guns and ammo. Look for the hospital security force's offices, where you should find their spare weapons and ammo. You should check the Emergency Room, for the weapons removed from injured police during triage, and look for any places in the hospital where security force made their stand.

If you plan to stay in the hospital it's time to pick a base of operations, fortify the place and stock it with the supplies you gather. If your plan is to move out then you need to acquire transportation and pick a spot where you can pre-position supplies before you leave.

Nate Eeez
Apr 25th, 2012, 05:53 PM
If a zombie infection was in a hospital and you were inside... It would be very bad... You have a bunch of sick people laying in bed... Sounds like an infestation heaven... But why does everyone want to immediately leave whatever area they are in? I don't mean that is your permanent base but if everyone in the entire area is going to one place, it won't be good. I would fortify whatever place I was in and hold out for a few days until things calm down. Then find a more permanent base. I mean if I'm wrong tell me but I don't think it is a good idea to just jump right in to your plan because more than likely you aren't the only one with that plan... Just my opinion

I think people would want to get to loved ones. As Angel and Saul did. That's why I'd want to get what provisions I could, then make the attempt to get out of the city. But we've seen (heard) about the gridlock, so maybe an ambulance wouldn't be the way to get to safety. It would all depend on how quickly the virus is spreading and how quickly people are figuring out they are screwed. I work in a hospital about an hour away from where I live. I'd be going crazy trying to get out of the city and to my family.

Skeptic-all
Apr 25th, 2012, 06:45 PM
Lets see... Hmmm... Well I am in a 22 story building in San Fransisco... Most of my co-workers are pretty lazy and only a few of them go to the gym with me. I(and a few others) are capable of out-running everyone else...so if some runners showed up they would eat all of my chubby co-workers before getting to me.

The "security" room two floors down has some batons and some tazers but I have only seen one security guard with a real gun... no I wouldn't be able to make it in time.

The quickest way down would be the elevator but that would be flooded quickly and if the electricity goes out, well, I wouldnt want to be in there- except that this building has back-up generators... so maybe.. No the elevators would still be flooded. As a weapon I would probably take the fire extinguisher that is 4 cubicles to my left (or was it 5?) and there is also my keyboard...

So I would take my chances falling down this 22 floor building and -after I land flat on my feet unhurt- I would have my keyboard as a back-up weapon and the fire extinuisher as my primary weapon. My plan is fool-proof!!

Cabbage Patch
Apr 25th, 2012, 06:50 PM
Lets see... Hmmm... Well I am in a 22 story building in San Fransisco... Most of my co-workers are pretty lazy and only a few of them go to the gym with me. I(and a few others) are capable of out-running everyone else...so if some runners showed up they would eat all of my chubby co-workers before getting to me.

The "security" room two floors down has some batons and some tazers but I have only seen one security guard with a real gun... no I wouldn't be able to make it in time.

The quickest way down would be the elevator but that would be flooded quickly and if the electricity goes out, well, I wouldnt want to be in there- except that this building has back-up generators... so maybe.. No the elevators would still be flooded. As a weapon I would probably take the fire extinguisher that is 4 cubicles to my left (or was it 5?) and there is also my keyboard...

So I would take my chances falling down this 22 floor building and -after I land flat on my feet unhurt- I would have my keyboard as a back-up weapon and the fire extinuisher as my primary weapon. My plan is fool-proof!!

You forgot to raid the break room for provisions. I would probably fill my pockets with stuff from the "honor system" snack box and grab a bottle of water, because that should be enough, right.

Skeptic-all
Apr 25th, 2012, 07:53 PM
Well in my case I always have a little stash in my tiny desk drawer full of granola bars and Skittles!! Plus as soon as I land unscathed from falling 22 floors I would land right in front of the Pizza/Italian restaurant that is at the corner of this block. So I could just raid that, since zombies are more interested in people flesh and that restaurant(I am not trying to be mean or rude just stating the solid facts) Is not very good so it doesn't have very many costumers, at least not from what I have seen. So food won't be a problem. And there is a Toyota car dealership between here and there so transportation to somewhere magical and safe won't be a problem- except that I will have to threaten the clerk or manager with my keyboard in order to force them to hand over the keys!

Cabbage Patch
Apr 25th, 2012, 09:18 PM
Well in my case I always have a little stash in my tiny desk drawer full of granola bars and Skittles!! Plus as soon as I land unscathed from falling 22 floors I would land right in front of the Pizza/Italian restaurant that is at the corner of this block. So I could just raid that, since zombies are more interested in people flesh and that restaurant(I am not trying to be mean or rude just stating the solid facts) Is not very good so it doesn't have very many costumers, at least not from what I have seen. So food won't be a problem. And there is a Toyota car dealership between here and there so transportation to somewhere magical and safe won't be a problem- except that I will have to threaten the clerk or manager with my keyboard in order to force them to hand over the keys!

See if you can buy the car with an IOU. A Toyota is a great choice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIisIFvMiSQ

GeneTwo
Apr 26th, 2012, 12:01 AM

I live in the Bay Area too. If the zombie apocalypse were to happen on a Friday around 6pm ish, you could use the bagels and sourdough, bakeries leave on the street, as weapons. Stale bagels and sourdough should be classified as lethal weapons.

Skeptic-all
Apr 28th, 2012, 05:44 PM
Haha Yes!! Perfect that could be like my ninja stars or bullets or throw them with a pretzel and licorice slingshot!! Thanks for that idea. MUAHAHAHAA! I WILL SURVIVE THE ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE!!

Skeptic-all
Apr 28th, 2012, 05:47 PM
Yea... that is how I expect the car dealership people to act when they see me with the keyboard but.. Smashing there faces in with a keyboard would be more epic than and IOU unless... what I would own them were... A KEYBOARD SMASH TO THE FACE!!

GeneTwo
Apr 28th, 2012, 09:39 PM
I would make my way to Mythbusters M5. Mythbusters HQ has everyting you would ever want (except food), cars, explosives, guns, cannons, swords, props., armor, and enough duct tape to cover the world twice. Plus if you cant find it there you could probably build it there.

(How the heck can you make a picture bigger?)

http://www.zombiepodcast.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1807&d=1335673704

(Ok. Figured it out.)

Solanine
Apr 29th, 2012, 07:16 AM
Let's think the hospital scenario through given what we've seen in We're Alive.

During Phase One of a zombie apocalypse you can expect the hospitals to get over run quickly and early. No matter how, or where the outbreak occurs, some of the infected are going to end up being transported to the hospital, where they are going to turn and spread the infection. The first wave of zombies, whether they come in through the doors or they come out of the emergency room, will over run the hospital and in short order it is going to be picked clean of human prey. The key to survival during this phase is to find a good place to hide and secure yourself. I'd suggest locking yourself in the most secure room you can find (radiology labs, store rooms, etc.) and douse the approaches with alcohol to hide your scent.

In Phase Two you can expect most of the zombies to leave in search of places where there is still prey. We saw this We're Alive at The Tower, and The Other Tower, where all but a handful of zombie hangers-on were gone by the time survivors searched the locations. Even Cain Memorial Hospital seemed to be occupied by just a handful of lurkers and malingerers up to the point that the zombie army arrived, presumably from the Stadium. This would be the time to search the hospital to gather supplies, look for other survivors and make your plans. Just be sure to arm yourself to deal with the lurkers!

Sidebar Question, do the We're Alive zombies turn injured or sick humans, or do they just kill them? The only example I can remember of a "disabled" zombie I can remember is Cindy, Angel's girlfriend, who appears to have had two broken legs. And there's a strong likelihood that that happened either after she was turned or while it was happening. In a hospital scenario this is important because it could significantly impact the number of zombies that linger at the hospital.

Phase Three of a hospital scenario would involve gathering supplies and preparing for the long term. A hospital should be a great place to collect supplies. We've already discussed medicine and medical supplies. We know that there should be a lot of food present in the facility, both for the daily use of the residents and shelf-stable emergency supplies. It should also be possible to find a supply of guns and ammo. Look for the hospital security force's offices, where you should find their spare weapons and ammo. You should check the Emergency Room, for the weapons removed from injured police during triage, and look for any places in the hospital where security force made their stand.

If you plan to stay in the hospital it's time to pick a base of operations, fortify the place and stock it with the supplies you gather. If your plan is to move out then you need to acquire transportation and pick a spot where you can pre-position supplies before you leave.

Hate to say it but the hospital would be a bad choice of long term or even short term survival. How ever clean it may look hospitals often have huge problems with cockroaches etc and of course have
a respectable variety of things you NEVER want to catch. If Saul got shot in a hospital the way he did in the tower I would rate his chances of survival much lower. The percentage of the bacterial population resistant to antibiotics is much higher in hospitals. Although the operation could have been easier.

And also other, bigger, most likely more bad-ass groups are bound to come along looking for meds. An aggressive man/woman with a gun is much more dangerous than a zombie in my book.

Cabbage Patch
Apr 29th, 2012, 10:31 AM
Hate to say it but the hospital would be a bad choice of long term or even short term survival. How ever clean it may look hospitals often have huge problems with cockroaches etc and of course have
a respectable variety of things you NEVER want to catch. If Saul got shot in a hospital the way he did in the tower I would rate his chances of survival much lower. The percentage of the bacterial population resistant to antibiotics is much higher in hospitals. Although the operation could have been easier.

And also other, bigger, most likely more bad-ass groups are bound to come along looking for meds. An aggressive man/woman with a gun is much more dangerous than a zombie in my book.

All great points. And as big and sprawling as hospitals get they'd probably be impossible to defend with a small group. Guess the answer is loot the place thoroughly then leave for a safer base.

yoyoyoyo15
Apr 29th, 2012, 12:56 PM
I think it would be better to just raid like a superstore for over the counter medicine than it would be to tackle a hospital. It's probably safer... Both getting and taking the medicine... I could see it very easy to over dose on medicine in a hospital as opposed to a pharmacy.

Cabbage Patch
Apr 29th, 2012, 04:18 PM
I think it would be better to just raid like a superstore for over the counter medicine than it would be to tackle a hospital. It's probably safer... Both getting and taking the medicine... I could see it very easy to over dose on medicine in a hospital as opposed to a pharmacy.

Definitely a valid point. I wouldn't counsel anyone to go to a hospital during the early stages of a zombie apocalypse, but remember the exercise was based on you already being there at the time of the outbreak.

The Superstore scenario seems like it offers both risks and advantages. You're definitely going to find a wider range of resources there, one-stop shopping for everything from food to medicines to (in some cases) guns and ammo. The potential down-side is that there would be more competition with other survivors for the resources there. I think you could pull it off, but you'd want to go in with friends, and ready for trouble.

yoyoyoyo15
Apr 29th, 2012, 06:05 PM
Definitely a valid point. I wouldn't counsel anyone to go to a hospital during the early stages of a zombie apocalypse, but remember the exercise was based on you already being there at the time of the outbreak.

The Superstore scenario seems like it offers both risks and advantages. You're definitely going to find a wider range of resources there, one-stop shopping for everything from food to medicines to (in some cases) guns and ammo. The potential down-side is that there would be more competition with other survivors for the resources there. I think you could pull it off, but you'd want to go in with friends, and ready for trouble.

I just really hope I wouldn't clam up in situations like this... I don't think I would turn into skittles or anything but I might forget about small vital things... Like how Michael forgot about an electricity back up plan... Honestly I believe the only people that will survive in an apocalyptic situation are the ones that can think on their feet... Honestly all these plans are what would happen in a perfect situation... But what would happen when like your car breaks down or you break an arm or something? You have to be able to go with the flow and keep a level mind. Those are the people that are going to survive. Although having a goal or overall plan is always helpful.

Solanine
Apr 29th, 2012, 11:48 PM

Good point, another place to consider would be walking/ outdoor shops. Many carry MRE's, Camelbaks (especially useful for travelling by bike or foot) and other useful goodies like camping stoves (for cooking your meal once the electricity's off).

reaper239
Apr 30th, 2012, 06:04 AM
i think the better soloution is to have enough supplies stored up so you can hold out at least three weeks. then once some of the chaos has subsided you can venture forth and handle business. i would suggest hitting residences as those will likely have a little of everything stored up. i even have a neat lock pick set, you just have to be careful, if occupado you may get your fool head blown clean off, and then what?

Solanine
Apr 30th, 2012, 09:12 AM
i think the better soloution is to have enough supplies stored up so you can hold out at least three weeks. then once some of the chaos has subsided you can venture forth and handle business. i would suggest hitting residences as those will likely have a little of everything stored up. i even have a neat lock pick set, you just have to be careful, if occupado you may get your fool head blown clean off, and then what?

Ideally yes but canned food goes off after a while so you'd have to be careful. And also I hate being the crazy guy buying all the disaster food in Tesco.

reaper239
Apr 30th, 2012, 09:45 AM
nah bro, i got a couple boxes of MREs i oredered online, i keep them in a corner in my apartment. before you know it, bamm sonn, you got what you need. but not even that, buy perishable food at you regular interval, but every week by a couple xtra cans of food, stuff you know you'll eat, and rotate it into your food stocks. after awhile you've got three weeks of goods to survive on and then it's just maintanence.

Solanine
Apr 30th, 2012, 01:01 PM
Suppose. Have plenty of canned fruit in the house + soups. Living two hours from your nearest supermarket has its dis-advantages. Scurvy can be a problem, especially when the only fruit at the mom and pop shop is slowly composting on the store shelf.

yoyoyoyo15
Apr 30th, 2012, 06:38 PM
Man I never thought about scurvy... Better stock up on limes. We also have this thing that packages any type of food do that it is air tight... Could come in handy for leftovers

Travis Sutak
Apr 30th, 2012, 07:18 PM
If all hell breaks loose i have long range weapons,pistols,shotguns, assult weapons, and even crossbows Deffinately would have a decent amount of firepower to start with but will deffinatlly have to find other means along the way. as for location would go to dick's sporting goods then to walmart then to sam's club because there are large amounts of ammo and guns sam's club would be where i would make base untill i could find better i would try to gather as many survivors as possible then fortify the building and setup supply routes and parties and try to put everyone to work with the closest job to their abilities.

Tielurrdee
Apr 30th, 2012, 09:07 PM
Plain and simple I would most likely DIE. Just saying tho I know plenty of friends with large amounts of weapons most likely I'd be food. But me and a co worker have talked about blocking off his neighborhood and building the walls higher. He'd be my best bet on where to go to start the process. And living in the town I do you defiantly wouldn't have to look far for supply's and ammo. If it hit la first were just far enough to get a head start.