PDA

View Full Version : Goldrush Episode 3 - Air Date 17 September 2019 - *Spoilers Allowed*

Witch_Doctor
Sep 17th, 2019, 09:22 AM
Thread for Chapter 3 of Goldrush.

Witch_Doctor
Sep 17th, 2019, 09:48 AM
So we finally get the musical! Great song.

IamPaul
Sep 17th, 2019, 04:26 PM

I didn't even think of that!!!!!

Not to toot my own horn, but I think I was the originator of a We're Alive Musical years ago

Litmaster
Sep 17th, 2019, 07:34 PM
Okay, one thing I've learned through listening to many audio dramas is how much listener expectation can color your experience of a piece, and this was no exception. Through episode 2 and 3... this isn't what I was expecting to hear, so it really threw me off. I was expecting a more straightforward narrative arc, much like the 'OT' We're Alive story, but Goldrush has already established itself to be its own thing, and quite different in tone.

I can really appreciate it from a craft perspective, but from a story perspective, I'm still not not there yet.

Litmaster
Sep 17th, 2019, 07:40 PM

Absolutely. Really great performance. I've already listened to it 5 times, haha

Superpants
Sep 17th, 2019, 11:54 PM
Personally not a fan of the background music so far it just feels off somehow. And the random notes at the end of chapter 2 when theyre talking eagerly is completely out of place and doesnt feel like were alive in any way. And overall chapter 2 and 3 have felt kinda... bad. First chapter was great so i hope it gets better as soon as the party is over

Litmaster
Sep 18th, 2019, 09:30 AM
Personally not a fan of the background music so far it just feels off somehow. And the random notes at the end of chapter 2 when they're talking eagerly is completely out of place and doesnt feel like were alive in any way.

You're talking about those synth stabs around the 25 minute mark? I think I get what Kc was going for there. My take on it was it's a few disparate notes from the WA theme injected into the scene as a non-diegetic representation of the soldier's growing sense of excitement at the prospects of finding the gold... their 'Gold Rush', as it were.

Superpants
Sep 18th, 2019, 09:40 AM
You're talking about those synth stabs around the 25 minute mark? I think I get what Kc was going for there. My take on it was it's a few disparate notes from the WA theme injected into the scene as a non-diegetic representation of the soldier's growing sense of excitement at the prospects of finding the gold... their 'Gold Rush', as it were.

ye those, and i understood that its just not a thing that fits into how things have been done before, it makes it too much like a comedy. yes theres fun moments in we're alive too but those notes just didnt fit in. i havnt been much of a fan at all of the last two chapters its like some random person wrote a fandom version of a party with everyone, it just doesnt have the were alive feeling

Litmaster
Sep 18th, 2019, 10:03 AM
ye those, and i understood that its just not a thing that fits into how things have been done before, it makes it too much like a comedy. yes theres fun moments in we're alive too but those notes just didnt fit in. i havnt been much of a fan at all of the last two chapters its like some random person wrote a fandom version of a party with everyone, it just doesnt have the were alive feeling

That's pretty much exactly what I told Kc yesterday. I said that it "feels like a We're Alive parody, acted out by the characters in We're Alive". The tone is certainly different than original WA or especially Lockdown... jury is still out as to whether it's gonna 'work'.

Merlin1274
Sep 18th, 2019, 10:21 AM
It's a kind of Magic. I love it.. It is a world of its own.. Love the Bar Scenes and the horse is cracking me up.. Carl is a trip when he is tripping. Keep it coming KC.. it is awesome..

Witch_Doctor
Sep 18th, 2019, 11:34 AM
That's pretty much exactly what I told Kc yesterday. I said that it "feels like a We're Alive parody, acted out by the characters in We're Alive". The tone is certainly different than original WA or especially Lockdown... jury is still out as to whether it's gonna 'work'.

Yeah, I agree that there is quite a bit of fan service and I totally get what you're saying but, for me, the key is to approach Goldrush as a stand alone piece of work. It's like a window into the We're Alive Universe when the survivors are able to let their guard down for a bit and try to enjoy life a little, or the soldiers' unhindered need for clowning around as a counterweight to the stress that they're under. They can't live under constant stress without relief for long, else they will lose it like the characters on The Walking Dead where they devote a whole episode to a character losing touch with reality.

It's a kind of Magic. I love it.. It is a world of its own.. Love the Bar Scenes and the horse is cracking me up.. Carl is a trip when he is tripping. Keep it coming KC.. it is awesome..

I look at it as an extended version of the 4th of July Party scene. Once Datu's party is over I'll bet that the fan service might taper off a bit.

Witch_Doctor
Sep 18th, 2019, 11:36 AM

Say what?O_o

Witch_Doctor
Sep 18th, 2019, 11:39 AM
... i havnt been much of a fan at all of the last two chapters its like some random person wrote a fandom version of a party with everyone, it just doesnt have the were alive feeling

Hopefully the fan service will taper off a bit after the party is over and the story will stand on its own merit. I look at it as a longer version of the 4th of July party.

Litmaster
Sep 18th, 2019, 02:02 PM
Say what?O_o

You want that in English? :D

To simplify: I think that was Kc's way of showing the soldier's excitement through music. Boom. :nik:

Kc
Sep 19th, 2019, 11:25 AM
Yeah, he's right, and in many ways Witchdoctor is too. The interesting part will be at the end, what people think of these episodes. I anticipated reactions from fans about the tone shift, and really do enjoy people's honest feedback. It's how I gauge also where the audience is in their emotional arc. The experience and expectations of the audience is part of it, both good and bad.

Gooer
Sep 19th, 2019, 02:34 PM
The way I feel about the last two episodes, and the tone that it delivers, is that despite the bad times (and basic apocolypse) that they're living in, they are still able to settle down and have a laugh on occasion, it feels more like real life. The colony is in a position that they can let some people try to lead a normal life. Granted, this is being said from someone who knows the backstory and what happened/is about to happen later in the main story. There might be a fair bit of fan servicing, but being a fan from since season 3 aired it's been like a nostalgic hit to me, and it's great hearing the voices of the original series actors again.

Again admittedly this comes from the perspective of a long time fan, but so far I've really enjoyed it this series, and look forward to seeing what happens.

Thezombiereseacher
Sep 24th, 2019, 10:12 PM
Was Michael playing cj in a game of beer pong when he was skipping around the tape?

Thezombiereseacher
Sep 24th, 2019, 10:40 PM
Bert and Riley are so cool while still rouge in episode 4. Favorite scene so far.

Thezombiereseacher
Sep 24th, 2019, 11:23 PM
The shaving ad with the 6th gen zombie was cool.

Kc
Sep 25th, 2019, 11:37 AM
yup :)

Was Michael playing cj in a game of beer pong when he was skipping around the tape?