PDA

View Full Version : Zombie/Creature types/ Physical Appearance

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Jan 25th, 2011, 10:05 AM
Anyone tracking the number of different creatures witnessed so far?

cPT.cAPSLOCK
Jan 25th, 2011, 10:56 AM
Not really, but we should be able to compile a list together.

We've seen:

Behemoths
Howlers*
Intelligent ones
Jumpers
Little ones
Runners
Standard zombies,
Swimming ones**

Unique ones:
Ink,

*) While they don't seam to be very different from other zombies, this is all we have on howlers:

Howlers? Ok. A few details on that. There was one that could outside the tower when Pegs dropped the pot. That one didn't appear any different.
We've heard several others do it throughout the series, one in particular also in the tower when Burt showed up. That one didn't look any different either.
The last bit of info I would give is, if everyone could do it, we'd hear it more often.

**) It's not clear how different the swimming ones are from regular ones.

Wicked Sid
Jan 25th, 2011, 11:06 AM
We've seen:
Standard zombies,
Runners,
Intelligent ones,
Little ones,
Behemoth / Tank,
Swimming ones,

What was it Michael faced at the waterplant again? Was that a behemoth too, or something meaner?

And plenty more I can't recall just now.

Jumpers and the one that Michael faced was a behemoth. I think that the Little ones may be the result of Breeding.

Skittles may not have been changed because he could become another Ink, maybe that's why he has survived this long, but he is also good enough to get away.

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Jan 25th, 2011, 12:28 PM
Maybe skittles IS ink!
Ok.. we also have the Howlers. The ones that call the others in. There does seem to be a kind of Hive Mentality as well.
The Little Ones were also the "droolers" right?
any theories on how big the behemoths are? In my minds eye they're a good 15 feet, blubbery with bits and pieces falling off.

Hollomandious
Jan 25th, 2011, 07:24 PM
Maybe skittles IS ink!
Ok.. we also have the Howlers. The ones that call the others in. There does seem to be a kind of Hive Mentality as well.
any theories on how big the behemoths are? In my minds eye they're a good 15 feet, blubbery with bits and pieces falling off.

I always assumed the howlers were just regulars w/ 1 extra skill.

And the little ones. Maybe they are dog/cats/hamsters? Hmm....

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Jan 25th, 2011, 07:33 PM
That'd be a good guess, but I think you'd hear a lot of them if that was the case. We just seem to hear one or two at a time before the rest show up.

Wicked Sid
Jan 25th, 2011, 07:36 PM
In my minds eye they're a good 15 feet, blubbery with bits and pieces falling off.

I see them more as about 7-8 feet with quite a build up of muscle. The zits could be an indication of Steroid use during their lifetime.

megamanxzero35
Jan 26th, 2011, 06:30 AM
Have we been given any info on how the zombie eyes are different? In the first half a dozen chapters or so there were many times where they would talk about how the eyes were different but never went into detail.

And for the behemoths, do we have any descriptions on how big they are? When we first met them I instantly thought they could be 20 feet tall but now I think they are more like 7-8 feet tall and super muscular.

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Jan 26th, 2011, 06:37 AM
The behemoths in my mind's eye are 10-15 feet, skinny arms and fat'ish/blubbery with bits and pieces falling off from all the damage they take.
I imagine this because it sounds like they aren't very fast, but can build up a good head of steam once they start moving. Then Skittles talks about how they can't climb. To me, that means it's a weight distribution issue

Hollomandious
Jan 26th, 2011, 06:57 AM
I've always just pictured them in a Troll esk kinda way. Like (*sigh*) in the first Harry Potter movie. Just a lot angrier looking and all zombie like.

cPT.cAPSLOCK
Jan 26th, 2011, 10:55 AM
I always assumed the howlers were just regulars w/ 1 extra skill.
So did I - Kc, could you confirm whether howlers are regular zombies or another variant?

I see them more as about 7-8 feet with quite a build up of muscle. The zits could be an indication of Steroid use during their lifetime.
The steroid theory is interesting, thanks for sharing it. I hadn't thought of that yet. Sounds very plausible too.

jamman39
Jan 26th, 2011, 05:58 PM
In Chapter 17 they mentioned that the behemoths were badly stretch marked with leathery skin, that makes me think that they weren't just steroid users turned zombie. Sounds more like they were created somehow, perhaps by evil scientists who <3 zombies but need a little more

TCM Revolver
Jan 26th, 2011, 06:07 PM

Everytime I hear the behemoth I think of this guy. (minus the tubes of course) He was always the most menacing zombie in my mind.
http://projectumbrella.net/files/images/Nemesis.jpg

Kc
Jan 26th, 2011, 10:25 PM
So did I - Kc, could you confirm whether howlers are regular zombies or another variant?

The steroid theory is interesting, thanks for sharing it. I hadn't thought of that yet. Sounds very plausible too.

Howlers? Ok. A few details on that. There was one that could outside the tower when Pegs dropped the pot. That one didn't appear any different.
We've heard several others do it throughout the series, one in particular also in the tower when Burt showed up. That one didn't look any different either.
The last bit of info I would give is, if everyone could do it, we'd hear it more often.

StepLaugh
Jan 27th, 2011, 04:46 AM
I'm pretty sure Ink is a "howler" he might be the only one, and he shows up alot, or he's always keeping a close eye.

But then again he's at the arena alot, but he is fast.

Also if they call howl, would they also be able to speak, like ink?

EDIT- Ink looks alot different so nevermind what I said due to what KC just said.

Kc
Jan 27th, 2011, 08:17 AM
Ink's howl can be different... listen closely to Chapter 13 for more specifics.

StepLaugh
Jan 27th, 2011, 09:32 AM
I just did, and yeah I see what you mean now.Was that your "voice"

Kc
Jan 27th, 2011, 05:20 PM
I just did, and yeah I see what you mean now.Was that your "voice"
It's Paul.

Adogg
Jan 28th, 2011, 11:36 PM
I was under the impression that the smart ones = the howlers. As if they are commanding the regular, rank and file zombies. I never thought they were separate zombies.

Great now I have to listen a THIRD time to the podcasts! :-) (This also give weight to the theory that INK is the leader/source/patient zero)

It's Paul.
I see what you did there.

StepLaugh
Jan 29th, 2011, 08:56 AM
It's Paul.

~That's cute.~

icepatrol
Jan 30th, 2011, 02:13 AM
Im starting to think that some zombies are evolving

Onslaught
Jan 30th, 2011, 01:27 PM
Maybe skittles IS ink!
I never thought of skittles as ink. I mean he could be but then again wouldn't Angel or Riley or Kalani have noticed? I mean he could be but he would also have to be a smart one if he could talk. I'm not sure about the howlers either, I always thought they were the smart ones because the zombie that ambushed the tower was a smart one and he was able to call them. And the behemoths I always imagined them looking like the Marauders off of Resistance Fall of Man. Heres a link to the picture. http://resistance.wikia.com/wiki/File:Resistance-2-20080923112805810_640w.jpg

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Jan 30th, 2011, 02:19 PM
KC, that's exactly what I was saying. You'd hear them like crazy if it was a normal trait.
Tango for clearing that up!

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Jan 30th, 2011, 02:29 PM
My theory on how the behemoths look is from Skittles saying "they can't climb" so that tells me there is something anatomically wrong with them. TRex arms? Skinny arms? long/large/blob like torso with little "Imma Chicken Hawk" legs?
The Skittles as Ink theory is a shot in the dark and a brainstorm technique. Remember, he sounds schizo. Also, he could be the Jeykell and Hyde of the podcast.

StepLaugh
Jan 30th, 2011, 02:34 PM
Im starting to think that some zombies are evolving

That's a good idea, and I dont think we've seen any die off. Like they did in 28 Day Later. They would eventually just run out of people, and die off.

TCM Revolver
Jan 30th, 2011, 02:41 PM
That's a good idea, and I dont think we've seen any die off. Like they did in 28 Day Later. They would eventually just run out of people, and die off.

It's nuts to think they can adapt. Like the one eating dog food in the beach house. It's amazing that they can metabolize other types of food.

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Jan 30th, 2011, 03:07 PM
KC and crew have taken each kind of "Zombie" genre, then added their own sick twist. It's more "Resident Evil" so anything is possible

Hollomandious
Jan 30th, 2011, 08:36 PM
KC and crew have taken each kind of "Zombie" genre, then added their own sick twist. It's more "Resident Evil" so anything is possible

i agree.

i still want those little ones to be kids. just so sick and wrong.

fraggot
Jan 30th, 2011, 08:46 PM
We haven't seen any die off but Micheal and Peggs saw one almost completely withered away and still moving. Maybe some of the just regular zombies and not mutations are dying off. Like their bodies are just rotting away until their is nothing left to rot.

wooly
Jan 30th, 2011, 08:48 PM
Exactly. Large, heavy, ungainly but crazy strong. Goes with the deep roar and the inability of the humans to move the body of the one on the base.

I'd like to know how they got that way. If we are to assume that they started out as human, how did they get so different? Same question for all of the types, I guess. I'd like to know more about the infection, how it works, where it started, etc. Just to satisfy my curiosity. The tower group started along this path when they were looking for ground zero with the journals but that seems to have been a passing thing. No time for science when there is no food on the table I guess.

nikvoodoo
Jan 30th, 2011, 10:41 PM
We haven't seen any die off but Micheal and Peggs saw one almost completely withered away and still moving. Maybe some of the just regular zombies and not mutations are dying off. Like their bodies are just rotting away until their is nothing left to rot.

Something similar happened in Stephen King's "The Cell." Granted we don't know what exactly happened with We're Alive's Patient Zero, but in "The Cell" the mutation was caused by a cell signal called The Pulse. The people initially corrupted burned out quickly and died/killed each other. Eventually there was an newer more evolved crop from a redesigned Pulse. Maybe the same sort of thing is happening here.

The initial crop of Zombies were attracted by sound primarily and were pretty stupid. They walked past Michael in his car and went to the angry horn guy. Since we first meet them on the freeway, they have evolved into specialties (runners, jumpers, behemoths etc) , and honed their hunting skills.

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Jan 31st, 2011, 06:53 AM
....and the damn things sleep! WTH? Sleep? We've moved way past Zombies and into something totally new here. Sweet!
Reminds me of "I Am Legend."

Brooke Steele
Jan 31st, 2011, 08:10 PM
where are the zombie waves going (the ones that run by the Colony)? Are they regular Zombies or something different?

I didn't realize Ink was in so many scenes. I'll have to go back and listen again.

hthu
Jan 31st, 2011, 11:47 PM
Maybe skittles IS ink!

I was thinking JUST the same thing! Maybe that's how "they" infiltrate the other towers.

Onslaught
Feb 1st, 2011, 05:47 PM
i agree.

i still want those little ones to be kids. just so sick and wrong.
Pretty creepy, I'm sure if Pegs encountered one she wouldn't be able to shoot it.

Hollomandious
Feb 1st, 2011, 10:33 PM
where are the zombie waves going (the ones that run by the Colony)? Are they regular Zombies or something different?

I didn't realize Ink was in so many scenes. I'll have to go back and listen again.

He's everywhere.

I think the waves are just onces that run in packs looking for food. 17-3 @ 14:50 skittles shares that information from his experience.

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Feb 3rd, 2011, 07:36 AM
let's add:
The Brains to the list. I think they're more than just "smart" ones. Per Skittles warning to stay away from the "book and doctor" places.

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Feb 3rd, 2011, 07:43 AM
My Behemoth Theory:
I think my Behemoth picture plays out kinda well considering the plan Angel and Kalani have worked out. They have to be large and fugg (probably larger than 10-15 feet) in order to take out entire walls. A 7 foot monster wouldn't cause enough damage to the supports. It would just be one big ass hole. Again, I'm thinking wider than tall as well.

SleepyGlenn
Feb 6th, 2011, 02:52 PM
The Little Ones really creep me out. I hope more of their behaviour and abilities get revealed in later podcasts!

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Mar 10th, 2011, 12:29 PM
Ok,
Time to revisit this thread since we've had some more creature features.
Anyone's description of the Behemoths change because of the Kalani/Angel episode?

Eviebae
Mar 11th, 2011, 10:51 PM
Ok,
Anyone's description of the Behemoths change because of the Kalani/Angel episode?

I see them as being much bigger now. In my minds eye they move like gorillas on their haunches and knuckles--sort of an Amazing Hulk or The Thing type version of a gorilla.

Wouldn't their teeth have to grow to accommodate their new size?

I thought the stretch marks were from rapid growth. The acne, I dunno, I guess I just thought that was detail to make them more real; but it could be because they have such thick skin their pores had to change. They must have very thick skulls, and rhino type hide.

I can't figure out how they could survive an arrow shot to the eye. Eyes are actually an outgrowth from the brain and so if it has eyes and optic nerves it must have a path to the brain there too.

I wonder if any one form is a a final one or if they will continue to change.

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Mar 12th, 2011, 05:45 PM
Eviebae,
Read some of the earlier posts and tell me what size you think they are.
Skittles says they can't climb, so I like to think their arms are skinny as hell and can't support their weight.

JesseG
Mar 12th, 2011, 11:58 PM
Eviebae,
Skittles says they can't climb, so I like to think their arms are skinny as hell and can't support their weight.

I don't think they have skinny arms. I just think they are so massive and heavy that they can't pull themselves up. Just like bodybuilders compared to a lean athlete. Athletes tend to be able to be more agile. And maybe skittles is bipolar. Like the dr jekyl and mr hyde thing someone mentioned. But in his case, he's a nasty zombie at one moment, and a friendly scared and somewhat "touched" human. Or maybe, one of the smart ones that Skittles said that were very deadly experimented on him. Because maybe he was dragged away like Datu and fused some of "their" dna in him. Which may be why he has survived, because he may "smell" like they do so they don't bother him. Yeah the normals avoid the behemoths too, so it wouldn't be a stretch that he would attack him. Also, he changed that tire in a matter of minutes, which may suggest that "zombie speed/strength". The bipolar thing may be why he avoids being in a tower with large groups of people. Because he knows what happened before to his friends. Just theories...who knows?

Eviebae
Mar 13th, 2011, 04:51 PM
Eviebae,

I don't have a clear idea. A couple of times--like when he burst up onto the roof or at the power station, I saw him as huge--like 3 stories (I pretty much visualized a cut scene from a nonspecific computer game playing in my head), but when I think of him running through the building, more like 10 feet.

I think they must be very heavy because if all their bones are super thick/dense like their skull, they probably weigh a lot. I know body builders can develop their muscles to the point where they lose flexibility so I see their thick hide and over developed muscles contributing to their limitations. Like a mix between a rhino and a gorilla.

JesseG
Mar 13th, 2011, 08:14 PM
I imagined the behemoths kind of like the cave troll in "the fellowship of the rings" huge, strong, dumb, primal and grew to their sizes so fast (stretch marks) that their body wasn't really able to be but so agile at this stage of their evolution. If anyone puts on a lot of weight fast, lets see them do a pull up. Plus you hear them as they are walking. That is not the noise of an 8ft man 12-15ft minimum from the sound of their movement. Sounds more like the size of an elephant tbh. I'm more curious about how the regular zombies look like. Are they clothed? Do they look like the zombies in the movie "I Am Legend" where they are kind of a monochromatic gray. Since they are more nocturnal in nature, would that mean that they would be kind of pale/gray. I'm sure KC wants us to use our imagination, and not give too much details which is the beauty of a radio drama. But once you kind of get a feel of what the regulars look like, you can kind of base the other ones off of that blank template. Behemoths would be a larger, more gargantuan "zombie template". As would the Jumpers would have some added muscle to their legs for those long leaps, mostly in the calf region. While the runners would have very strong thigh muscles. I think i may work on some sketches of what i think they look like and post them in a new thread.

JesseG
Mar 13th, 2011, 09:04 PM
This is what I believe the Behemoth's look like along with a rough sketch of the size charts of the different zombies. This is a rough sketch and drawing that took me about 3 min in paint to make. If anyone has thoughts about this sketch feel free to respond. Negative and positive feedback is welcome. I'm not saying these are what they look like , just my imaginations interpretation of them. If you have any drawing ideas, feel free to post them. I'd love to have feedback on this. Click on the picture for a larger image----->368

JesseG
Mar 13th, 2011, 09:29 PM
Also, here is another thought. Maybe the pimples on the behemoth's body are remnants of bulletholes that didn't quite penetrate the skin, but pussed up as a reaction to the extreme impact the skin took from it. Just another thought. I was thinking about this as I was drawing a rough sketch from my other post. http://zombiepodcast.com/forum/showthread.php?1147-What-I-Believe-The-Behemoths-To-Look-Like-Plus-a-Zombie-Size-Chart

itsallgoodie
Mar 13th, 2011, 09:59 PM
There's my sub-par drawing skills.

http://i.imgur.com/Fd6rr.jpg

JesseG
Mar 13th, 2011, 11:45 PM
I love it^^^^ Gotta love creativity. Can't wait to see more.

Ra1th
Mar 14th, 2011, 12:06 AM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3283/3027297313_4be97ea0da.jpg

nikvoodoo
Mar 14th, 2011, 12:12 AM
You know, Ra1th, that kinda reminds me of what I always viewed the Behemoth's as. I always pictured them similar to the "Mega Hyde" in the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. You know, that guy that drinks a whole vat of Jekyll's formula and turns into a gigantic red freak? That's kinda how I pictured them, just less agile.

JesseG
Mar 14th, 2011, 01:34 AM
Another Picture of a Jumper on the roof of a burning building. Notice how large his calves are.
I'm going to keep creating art from the show here. Keep checking in and post your pictures too. Click picture to enlarge --->370

Craneses
Mar 14th, 2011, 02:14 AM
Another Picture of a Jumper on the roof of a burning building. Notice how large his calves are.
I'm going to keep creating art from the show here. Keep checking in and post your pictures too. Click picture to enlarge --->370

I figured jumpers would be really skinny with really long legs to jump farther and higher.

JesseG
Mar 14th, 2011, 05:54 AM
I figured jumpers would be really skinny with really long legs to jump farther and higher.

Not a bad thought. Come to think of it maybe they were taller, more lean. I'm sure its not a bad idea.

fraggot
Mar 14th, 2011, 07:08 AM
For some reason I always picture them as a mix between Tanks and Boomers from Left 4 Dead. Since they can't run fast, I imagine that they're fat but strong.

JesseG
Mar 14th, 2011, 12:39 PM
I put this one in the fanart section. Its a portrayal of the zombie in the pinstripe suit, aka Ink. Click pic to enlarge--->

Private Parts
Mar 14th, 2011, 02:52 PM
Wasnt ink in a grey pinstripe cos thats whats on the podcast artwork

JesseG
Mar 14th, 2011, 03:28 PM
idk, i'll check it out

Eviebae
Mar 14th, 2011, 05:58 PM
For some reason I always picture them as a mix between Tanks and Boomers from Left 4 Dead. Since they can't run fast, I imagine that they're fat but strong.

I don't imagine any fat, just muscles with muscles on top of muscles, and a thick reddish brown rhino hide.

JesseG
Mar 14th, 2011, 06:17 PM
Wasnt ink in a grey pinstripe cos thats whats on the podcast artwork
I updated his suit to be grey instead of the white/black that he was currently wearing.
Click to enlarge ----->377

Private Parts
Mar 15th, 2011, 12:32 AM
Cool shame its to late to enter wnd fan art comp :(

Solanine
Mar 15th, 2011, 07:50 AM
Great pic, Just how I imagined the Bethemoth possibly a bit larger but good pic.

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Mar 15th, 2011, 08:29 AM
Remember that the Behemoth's aren't slim or short enough to fit through a normal door frame. They're large enough to knock out walls, not just putting a hole in a wall. Even a tall but muscular body can stoop to go through a door frame. Angel and Kalani's tactics wouldn't have worked on anything but something really huge.
Skittles also said that they can't climb. Anything muscular with normal or abnormally long arms would be able to climb with ease.

cPT.cAPSLOCK
Mar 15th, 2011, 12:56 PM
I think it's best to bring this to the Wiki.

Update their respective pages, if necessary add a heading called 'Theories', 'Unconfirmed' or something along those lines, and use the discussion pages if there are disagreements or different interpretation.
That's the best way to keep track all the zombie-specific information.

Eviebae
Mar 15th, 2011, 09:27 PM
Anything muscular with normal or abnormally long arms would be able to climb with ease.

But body builders can lose the ability to move in certain ways simply because of the bulk, and the thick skull/skeleton could have changed the way they are able to move. I just see them as bigger in the chest and upper body, but big all over.

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Mar 17th, 2011, 01:29 PM
Eviebae,

Body builders range of movement is limited do to the extra mass, but they can move like anyone else. Stoop, jump, climb, plus more muscles allows you to handle any extra mass. Example I think of is an obese person vs someone in shape. An obese person doesn't have the strength to do too much with their mass. Obviously the behemoths can get up and move around pretty good, but they wouldn't have trouble climbing anything unless it was due to them being super, super dense. My 2 cents anyway.

icepatrol
Mar 18th, 2011, 10:51 AM
Do you guys think that tattooed one is a lead to a bigger plot?
I think that the tattooed one isnt actually not the most powerful zombie
since he attacks the survivors by himself. i mean think about, if you were the leader of all
the zombies and have thousands of zombies to your disposal, you wouldnt really need to
go all commando on the tower. Also if the tattooed one is trying to kill all the survivors,
then why bother with these towers when theres probably larger quantities of survivors
elsewhere, like the colony.

nikvoodoo
Mar 18th, 2011, 11:26 AM
Do you guys think that tattooed one is a lead to a bigger plot?
I think that the tattooed one isnt actually not the most powerful zombie
since he attacks the survivors by himself. i mean think about, if you were the leader of all
the zombies and have thousands of zombies to your disposal, you wouldnt really need to
go all commando on the tower. Also if the tattooed one is trying to kill all the survivors,
then why bother with these towers when theres probably larger quantities of survivors
elsewhere, like the colony.

There's a possibility that we've met two super smart zombies. There's the one in the arena that killed Samantha, and it could be a separate one that killed Paul in the Tower. All we truly know is there are some superly smart zombies running around L.A. right around now, but it's unclear as to exactly how many there are.

Without actually being able to see what the really smart zombies we've encountered it's hard to know who is who. As for the Tattooed Zombie/The One With the Markings/Ink/It's Paul becoming a bigger storyline: I think it's guaranteed. They are the gatekeepers to the secret to the outbreak and the very nature of the of this particular zombie apocalypse.

timberwoof
Mar 20th, 2011, 10:39 PM
My thinking on these are based on they came from real people. Burt mentioned the smarted you are in life the smarter you are in the undead life. Based on the assumption all these zombies came from real people, here are my theories as to where some of these originated from.

Behemoths - garillas maybe? Or just mutated regulars
Howlers* - regulars that a little more intelligent than the average. Learned they could
communicate like animals by using sounds.
Intelligent ones - genius level people or highly intelligent people. The colored one strikes me as a sociopathic person prior to being changed.
Jumpers - athletes such as basketball players and the such
Little ones - babies and small children
Runners - track runners and the such
Standard zombies - average people
Swimming ones - regulars who learned they could swim

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Mar 22nd, 2011, 12:25 PM
442Here's the closet picture i've found to how I visualize the Behemoths.
add about 3 more feet in height and width and bam!

IAmMattFriend
Mar 22nd, 2011, 12:57 PM
I think the swimmers would have really slimy skin with web between their arms and their side and in between their fingers/toes.

timberwoof
Mar 29th, 2011, 07:55 PM

After this post I actually started thinking about something. I saw the name Ink, and knew I heard it somewhere. Found in on Chapter 2-3 at about minute 20. Very clever hiding it there to be honest with you. If you were actually hiding it.

Arkum
Mar 30th, 2011, 01:38 PM
I always pictured the Jumpers to have legs evolved like the aliens in The Arrival. Knees that bend backwards to ours to give them more leaping leverage.

KyDead
Apr 3rd, 2011, 08:09 PM
Come on guys your missing something the Boemeths cant reach the top of a dump truck this taking place in a city area it cant be a big dump truck that you see in a rock quarry it has to be a smaller one you see hauling dirt and gravel around the cities these cant be more than ten feet tall or they wouldnt fit under overpasses and street lights so that cant make them taller than 7 or 8 feet i could see them as being very big and muscular but not so much tall.

nikvoodoo
Apr 3rd, 2011, 08:50 PM
Come on guys your missing something the Boemeths cant reach the top of a dump truck this taking place in a city area it cant be a big dump truck that you see in a rock quarry it has to be a smaller one you see hauling dirt and gravel around the cities these cant be more than ten feet tall or they wouldnt fit under overpasses and street lights so that cant make them taller than 7 or 8 feet i could see them as being very big and muscular but not so much tall.

Standard Minimum Height for overpasses in urban areas is 16' for new structures. Other structures can be varying heights if they were built before a certain time, but they have to be clearly marked and have alternate routes available. So a taller dump truck can be used in an urban area. I see dump trucks and semis in Manhattan all the time that are the standard 13.5 feet tall. The only restriction they have is they have to take certain tunnels and bridges in and out of the city and for traffic reasons they can't go certain places inside Manhattan.

If we go on the understanding that they can't climb, we can reason there is something "wrong" with their arms and they can't support their weight while climbing. That could make a Behemoth 10 feet tall, with only 2 foot long arms just barely capable (or not capable at all) of reaching the top of the tallest truck cabins.

I realize these are all assumptions. But there are two popular theories as to how Behemoths came to be which are 1. A gigantic growth spurt when infected or 2. They are built in some manner. If the growth spurt happens to be the case, it may not affect the arms and they don't grow in relation to the rest of the body. If they are built, it might have been a fail safe for the creator to give them a slight advantage if they are trying to run away from a Behemoth gone berserk.

forty7nations
Apr 6th, 2011, 07:06 PM
Here's my question. How do humans become a behemoth for example from just a bite? Lets say a regular human gets infected by a behemoth. How does this standard human become a "10-15 feet, skinny arms and fat'ish/blubbery?"

nikvoodoo
Apr 6th, 2011, 07:34 PM
Here's my question. How do humans become a behemoth for example from just a bite? Lets say a regular human gets infected by a behemoth. How does this standard human become a "10-15 feet, skinny arms and fat'ish/blubbery?"

That is the big debate. If we knew how that happened, we would have a better understanding of what the nature of this outbreak is. But there are disorders that cause humans to grow extremely large (See: Andre The Giant). So perhaps whatever is causing the outbreak alters the genetic coding of the victim.

Solanine
Apr 6th, 2011, 11:45 PM
Or consider this. the mounds of flesh in the arena, the number of behemoths found there when they were escaping. I reckon they are MADE somehow. Sounds a bit out there but still.

VeritableHero
Apr 7th, 2011, 05:10 AM
That is the big debate. If we knew how that happened, we would have a better understanding of what the nature of this outbreak is. But there are disorders that cause humans to grow extremely large (See: Andre The Giant). So perhaps whatever is causing the outbreak alters the genetic coding of the victim.You think Andre the Giant. I think body builder. They already have a freakishly large muscle mass; if their body gets slightly changed, all of that muscle mass could shift and pull their body in all kinds of different ways.

Rock Daddy
Apr 7th, 2011, 06:32 AM
Behemoths are my favorite, but I've struggled a lot to visualize them. At the very first encounter, I imagined them as 20 feet tall, mutated, naked monsters, on all fours. (That was a stretch) But now, I feel they are like zombified hulks. Similar to the tanks in Left 4 Dead that you mentioned. OK.
FOOD FOR THOUGHT, Based on all of your great comments here.
1) I think the Zits are a clue. Those of you that thought steroids are on the right track. What if the Z-germ harnesses and overloads the testosterone and other hormones in the body. Causing rapid muscle growth (stretch marks) and other side effects like zits that come with it.
2)What if they can actually grow bigger like the Hulk? What happens if there's bigger ones down the road?
[ 3)Your opinions - Is there a humongous Queen Zombie? Don't forget they are structured socially like insects...

Arkum
Apr 7th, 2011, 09:44 AM
I think that the reason they clean up all their dead, and the pile at the Arena, are for creating the specials. Tommy was pretty smart I'd say, at least with electronics, and he didn't seem to turn into anything out of the ordinary, though he did try to run as opposed to attack right away.....hmm.....

Wicked Sid
Apr 7th, 2011, 01:53 PM
How would a contagion/virus cause nausea at Ground Zero...?

If you don't remember this, you'd better relisten to Kalani's words when he first got to the Tower...

Interesting, non?

Rock Daddy
Apr 7th, 2011, 02:06 PM
How would a contagion/virus cause nausea at Ground Zero...?

If you don't remember this, you'd better relisten to Kalani's words when he first got to the Tower...

Interesting, non?

Good Call Sid. This could explain a person getting sick and vomiting...

nikvoodoo
Apr 7th, 2011, 02:15 PM
I think that the reason they clean up all their dead, and the pile at the Arena, are for creating the specials. Tommy was pretty smart I'd say, at least with electronics, and he didn't seem to turn into anything out of the ordinary, though he did try to run as opposed to attack right away.....hmm.....

I know you're not the first person to bring this up, but you are the latest so I'm picking on you...

Do you (and the rest of the Franken-zombie believers) understand the enormous complexity of what you're stating? Reanimation of a corpse, pieced together from the remains of multiple bodies? With no electricity in which to restart the body's functions? I understand we're talking about a zombie apocalypse so we are straining at the edge of reality as it is, but really? And even then, how do you piece together a jumper? It's legs were super long...how do you piece together legs like that and make them functional?

Ok, if someone can explain how it's possible to piece together and reanimate a corpse i'll try my best to go with you on this.

Wicked Sid
Apr 7th, 2011, 02:29 PM
Nik's correct, it is impossibly difficult to reanimate a corpse, even if it is just one body. How in the hell could you piece together a runner? Or a behemoth for that matter and then have all of those parts work together in unison without the necessary minuscule organisms that aid in every part of a living larger being... You then have to deal with all the problems of brain matter, the spinal coloumn, and the nervous system. All of this is only to be taken into consideration after you learn how bring back the dead...

Arkum
Apr 7th, 2011, 03:51 PM
Maybe not necessarily reanimation but if an existing zombie eats the remains of another zombie it changes them somehow.

MrScott101
Apr 8th, 2011, 10:08 AM
Ok so what we know so far is that non of the zombies are humans that died and reanimated. They are evolving or least more different types are showing up. They do have some sort of social structure class system similar to an insect system (as someone else mentioned). They do have the arena as for lack of better term a hive with a disction there. They collect their dead, they take humans alive, and they have/had a stockpile of non-zombie human parts.

So maybe there is a queen of sorts at the arena ie the little ones that is going to be the next gen of zombies that we have no idea what they are going to be capable of. In order for them to survive they need to eat. Maybe the human stockpile (parts) is for the little ones to eat or for the queen. The dead zombies is for the zombies to eat and the captured live humans are the ones the queen is experimenting on creating different types of zombies. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if soon we start seeing diggers or tunnelers, seems like a logical step towards breaking surviver strongholds.

I do not think there is a frankenzombie situation and refer to Nik's post because I'm in total agreement with him on that. But maybe there is an even more super smart one ie the queen/king that has a lab at the arena that is continueing the experiment and is organizing the zombie population, hence why we're not seeing as many lately.

Wicked Sid
Apr 8th, 2011, 01:23 PM
Listen to chapter thirteen again, when they see what is most likely the marked one and he howls, it's pretty distinct, right?... But, when the zombies are called back there is quite a different howl from, what seems to be, a much farther distance away...
This may be evidence of a 'king' or 'queen' zombie.

P.S. When Burt tries to line up the shot and everything goes quiet... So amazing.

Solanine
Apr 8th, 2011, 01:41 PM
Just a thought, the bits of dead people and zombies in the arena are brought to the queen as food for the queen. Possibility that the queen can create new zombies from parts or even breed. Use for Burts C4 anyone?

nikvoodoo
Apr 8th, 2011, 01:55 PM
Possibility that the queen can create new zombies from parts or even breed. Use for Burts C4 anyone?

I reference you to my post earlier on the previous page: you cannot reanimate dead parts and make a functional creature.

Breed, sure. No reanimation of dead things.

Solanine
Apr 9th, 2011, 02:55 AM
What though if the dead parts are used as building blocks, if the cause was some sort of virus or bacterial infection that gained control of the victims bodies, the whats to say it can't invade dead cells or cause living cells to grow binding them together. The infection could in fact begin with a newly born child and from there cause it to grow horrifically with the nutrients available. Science fiction I know and probably not ever possible but this is a work of fiction, not a documentary. The behemoths proved this.
The virus (assuming thats what it is) changes the victims DNA controlling growth and other factors creating the creatures. It could be that the different type are from people with unique genetic or phenotypic properties e.g. Growth disorder, high IQs (Burts theory) or lots of muscles. It could also be that the virus is becoming speciated (splitting into different species). This would explain why some types seem to die out and some have just started to appear. Just a thought.

Arkum
Apr 9th, 2011, 10:56 AM
We haven't really run into as many "smart ones" as say Skittles have. I think a trip to a hospital or library is in order to fully investigate that side of the zombies. Riley mentions they were being surrounded on their last trip to a hospital, I believe. Maybe the "smart ones" out there each have there own "troop" of followers and they evolve differently. Or maybe there are other zombies like the one with the markings, that are on the same level, strength and intelligence wise.

Another theory I had was maybe people who where in a hospital setting react to the virus differently, ie...cancer patients with radiation treatments turned into something else.... just a though. And yes these thoughts will continue to get crazier till a new episode comes out.

TKid
Apr 9th, 2011, 03:34 PM
When it came to the behemoths I did imagine a cross between a boomer and a tank from the popular zombie video game everyone knows, so the strength but just looks more fat then muscle

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Apr 12th, 2011, 01:19 PM
We haven't really run into as many "smart ones" as say Skittles have. I think a trip to a hospital or library is in order to fully investigate that side of the zombies. Riley mentions they were being surrounded on their last trip to a hospital, I believe. Maybe the "smart ones" out there each have there own "troop" of followers and they evolve differently. Or maybe there are other zombies like the one with the markings, that are on the same level, strength and intelligence wise.

Another theory I had was maybe people who where in a hospital setting react to the virus differently, ie...cancer patients with radiation treatments turned into something else.... just a though. And yes these thoughts will continue to get crazier till a new episode comes out.

We've run into 2 so far. One at the Tower #1 Ambush site (may or may not be Ink) and during Burt's rescue. The one that was climbing the wall and grabbed Saul.
I'd count Ink..er, Tattoo as a 3rd.

Arkum
Apr 12th, 2011, 05:37 PM
I hope they flesh out the book areas and hospital smart ones more in coming chapters. I'm very intrigued by them.

KC, don't make me start a fan fic! /idol threat

Grognaurd
Jun 16th, 2011, 05:51 PM
Numerous times it has been pointed out that the regular zombies had messed up eyes. So much that they do not appear human. But, there has been one exception. When the team encounters Paul/Ink in the tower Michael notices bright green eyes.

I am not going so far as to link Lizzie / Ink because of green eyes, but I would point out that this is again a significant difference between Ink and the horde

StickUpKid
Jun 16th, 2011, 07:25 PM
Are the things really zombies? Aren't zombies just reincarnations of what they were in life. The things they are fighting show more mutant properties. There are different ones the cells reacted differently in a person creating different types.

Just my thoughts I'd like to hear anyone elses theories.

Devilish Pizza
Aug 15th, 2011, 02:10 AM
I'm just wondering how large everyone else pictures the behemoths as.
Personally I picture them as being about the height of a bus, and as wide as a bus with their arms at their side.

Eviebae
Aug 16th, 2011, 09:34 AM
The room where it looked like they'd been making zombies/experimenting was bloody. That points to zom on zom eating action.

4 on the Little One's might mean the 4th iteration of some creation scheme--like if when a zombie eats a zombie, then it's zombie.2. Then when a zombie.2 eats another zombie.2 it's zombie.3 etc.

I don't know if there is a queen (not like a queen bee anyway) but I think there's a doctor/scientist somewhere we haven't seen because of how the hospital was tricked out with pictures of great healers and the evidence with systematic experimentation. Skittles seemed to have an scientist's way of observing things, but I don't think it's him.

We don't know anything about Ink besides the fact he killed people.

Maybe, it's all in HOW you get infected also. Direct injection you keep more of your faculties, splashed on you become more animalistic. Eating others you get a different result. How many humans you eat impacts you in a different way.

MancheeLivesOn
Aug 17th, 2011, 02:47 PM
Are the things really zombies?

No they aren't reanimated corpses. Too many clues to them being alive (eating, sleeping, etc.)

Skittles can't be Ink but he could be an Infiltrator. He's not all there to begin with so split personality caused by potential experimentation on him is possible. Skittles personality A could be aware of the B personality and try and prevent himself from infiltrating a stronghold/safehouse (He didn't let Angel and Kalani take him to the Tower). He isn't overly paranoid and definitely not schizophrenic, so he can't be Bill Roberts (he isn't homocidal violent).

The creatures are evolving whether by Kirby style consume and become or experimentation by Smart Ones has yet to be determined.

Also the probability that Bill Roberts is Ink is very high. The newscast said he was currently being transported to a mental help facility at the time of the outbreak. Kc can't make the series insanely difficult to follow (remember the complaints that Inception was too high brow for most) so mentioning Bill Roberts and not having him later in the plot would just be pointless.

On to the Big Ones super growth. With an increase in size that large testosterone levels would have to skyrocket. Funny thing about testosterone, if its level spikes so does the estrogen levels. They've yet to mention the massive bitch-tits on a behemoth (Thank you Fight Club) so I'm curious as to how they were made. But hey, the z-germ/virus could null and void the estrogen and utilize it on something else. Its SciFi, who cares if its possible it just is!

On the topic of them being made, can a Smart One control a Big One? It has been mentioned that the standard Biters leave them the hell alone. They have yet to be deployed in a tactical manner by any of the Smart Ones. Two controlled behemoths would have screwed The Tower over on so many levels... or maybe just the ground floor.

Well that's my two cents.

LoneSurvivor
Aug 19th, 2011, 07:19 PM
As to the behemoths being controlled... in the scene with the hospital, when that horde and its leader returned, they saw several behemoths in the crowd, following everyone else.
In that same scene, Kalani and Riley enter that generator room filled with blood and gore, as well as needles and surgeon's tools it seemed. The zombie horde dragged back a bunch of living humans with them. My theory is that, instead of a hive theory these zombies are being made in the process of the transformation. This would not be taking dead flesh and reanimating it, more like... sculpting a form, perhaps somehow altering the dna by adding various different substances or sticking on other parts. If you took several people's hands and stuck them all on one person, they would all still be alive, and depending on how the virus works it could fuse them together so that its one creature. For jumpers just those muscles are harvested and implanted into the leg, taking extra skin to cover up the muscle. All this would keep any sort of reanimation from happening, and it would explain that room with the smart one (I think it was Ink, just can't remember at this moment).

MancheeLivesOn
Aug 21st, 2011, 02:18 PM
I need to correct myself from my previous post. Estrogen will only have those adverse effects if testosterone levels become significantly lower. That only happens in extreme cases (i.e. castration).

usmcludwig
Aug 25th, 2011, 11:13 PM
In that same scene, Kalani and Riley enter that generator room filled with blood and gore, as well as needles and surgeon's tools it seemed. The zombie horde dragged back a bunch of living humans with them. My theory is that, instead of a hive theory these zombies are being made in the process of the transformation. This would not be taking dead flesh and reanimating it, more like... sculpting a form, perhaps somehow altering the dna by adding various different substances or sticking on other parts. If you took several people's hands and stuck them all on one person, they would all still be alive, and depending on how the virus works it could fuse them together so that its one creature. For jumpers just those muscles are harvested and implanted into the leg, taking extra skin to cover up the muscle. All this would keep any sort of reanimation from happening, and it would explain that room with the smart one (I think it was Ink, just can't remember at this moment).

These are my thoughts as well.
It would explain why they take ALL dead bodies and why the Arena is a storage area and why they took ALIVE and uninfected human prisoners and some other things that I will try to confirm.
An "Abomination" as some would call the melding of many flesh into one.
It would make sense as to why they did not kill/infect Tanya (presumably)- having an even more insidious fate for her
But I still do think that they are UNDEAD...only way around it is if WITHIN the story- it is DULY noted that the virus makes the infected EXTREMELY resilient to many things that would easily kill a non-infected human

JusticePain
Sep 23rd, 2011, 07:14 PM
What they need is The Smoker, The Boomer, The Hunter, and Bill

Solanine
Sep 25th, 2011, 12:05 PM
No. What they absolutely do not want is too start using cliche zombie types. More than they already have.

JusticePain
Sep 26th, 2011, 01:14 PM
Zombie cats and dogs!!!

Zombiphobe
Oct 2nd, 2011, 02:15 PM
I thought that dogs and cats were immune.

However, I was wondering about other species closer to humans, like chimpanzees. Smaller stature, long arms... could these be the Little Ones?

Solanine
Oct 2nd, 2011, 11:51 PM
I thought that dogs and cats were immune.

However, I was wondering about other species closer to humans, like chimpanzees. Smaller stature, long arms... could these be the Little Ones?

I don't know, they would need a pretty big zoo to have enough. Children though...

Zombiphobe
Oct 3rd, 2011, 10:22 AM
True. I was thinking more along the lines of research animals, but it doesn't seem like it would account for the number we've seen.

Cemetery Man
Oct 23rd, 2011, 11:26 PM
I imagined the behemoths kind of like the cave troll in "the fellowship of the rings" huge, strong, dumb, primal and grew to their sizes so fast (stretch marks) that their body wasn't really able to be but so agile at this stage of their evolution. If anyone puts on a lot of weight fast, lets see them do a pull up. Plus you hear them as they are walking. That is not the noise of an 8ft man 12-15ft minimum from the sound of their movement. Sounds more like the size of an elephant tbh. I'm more curious about how the regular zombies look like. Are they clothed? Do they look like the zombies in the movie "I Am Legend" where they are kind of a monochromatic gray. Since they are more nocturnal in nature, would that mean that they would be kind of pale/gray. I'm sure KC wants us to use our imagination, and not give too much details which is the beauty of a radio drama. But once you kind of get a feel of what the regulars look like, you can kind of base the other ones off of that blank template. Behemoths would be a larger, more gargantuan "zombie template". As would the Jumpers would have some added muscle to their legs for those long leaps, mostly in the calf region. While the runners would have very strong thigh muscles. I think i may work on some sketches of what i think they look like and post them in a new thread.

How can they be this tall? Most of the scenes they are in they are in doors, but dont crouch?

Zombiphobe
Oct 24th, 2011, 09:49 AM
I don't know, they would need a pretty big zoo to have enough. Children though...

How may Little Ones are there? There were two at the Army Reserve Center when Angel and Kalani were looking for the MREs. We heard some in the Arena when Angel and Riley were hiding in the pile of corpses, but we don't know how many. And then there was the ambush on the Maller's convoy in Chapter 21, which I originally thought was primarily Little Ones. However, when I relistened to that scene, Lizzie commented (while driving away) that the one that had attacked their truck was different than the others, smaller. Afterwards, when Scratch saw the severed arm she said it didn't look like it came from any zombie she'd seen. So it sounds like the ambush was primarily normal zombies. Perhaps there aren't that many Little Ones afterall.

yarri
Oct 24th, 2011, 10:29 AM

I have to go with Sid on this one. Sorry Crow.. His analysis is logical.
I also think that their skulls are smaller and the brain is lower in the face and into the neck. As they are slower and don't seem to see as well as the others.

7oddisdead
Oct 25th, 2011, 11:59 PM
How may Little Ones are there? There were two at the Army Reserve Center when Angel and Kalani were looking for the MREs. We heard some in the Arena when Angel and Riley were hiding in the pile of corpses, but we don't know how many. And then there was the ambush on the Maller's convoy in Chapter 21, which I originally thought was primarily Little Ones. However, when I relistened to that scene, Lizzie commented (while driving away) that the one that had attacked their truck was different than the others, smaller. Afterwards, when Scratch saw the severed arm she said it didn't look like it came from any zombie she'd seen. So it sounds like the ambush was primarily normal zombies. Perhaps there aren't that many Little Ones afterall.

We can assume there is at least five(speculation)...the one that had "a piece broke off" had the number five tattooed on its forearm right?...and we had signs of a prison style tattoo gun at the hospital so...

Anhysbys
Nov 11th, 2011, 03:01 PM
I just have to say this one thing about all the others contemplating added biomass to the behemoths and other types, I've noticed one say it's not reanimation it's just taking an arm and sticking it on. Well they have to be pulling these parts and flesh from a live source. Taking a bit of muscle and implanting it into the skin of a behemoth wouldn't work it'd just be some dead flesh that does nothing. Also, none of the survivors talk about the behemoths having long scars or stitches required to implant that much flesh. Like other people said it'd probably be a hormonal mutation caused by the virus entering an uninfected person's body. The Behemoths also couldn't be too tall since 1 story is about 12-13 feet and the average height to the ceiling would be 8 feet. They'd also be muscley since it would take a hell of alot of fat to make noise and cause shockwaves in the ground, muscle weighs alot more than fat and would be easier to achieve a realistic size/weight ratio to actually cause the shaking. A female elephant can cause this at about an average of 8000 pounds (4 tons) so let's say that anything around half that could cause these shockwaves. It would have to be 2 tons of fat and/or muscle to shake the ground. Also, have you ever seen anything that weighs large amounts go down stairs, a quote from a friend of mine "Cows don't go down stairs"; the not climbing thing may not be the fact that it can't climb, but be more of an "Oh god I can't get down from here without making a crater" feeling. Onto other stuff; when the Leaper appears during The War it's head nearly scrapes the ceiling (8 feet) and it has long spindly maneuverable legs, enough so to lift a leg high enough to kick Saul in the ribs. This points more towards a frog's build with long, lean, powerful legs. I think the z-virus most likely releases the restraints the brain holds on the human body to cause the normals. These restraints usually prevent the body from overly straining itself and tearing itself apart. If you've ever seen someone during a seizure, or other odd condition where the person has less control of the body, they have strength beyond what is normal for their size. Fear also can cause this with injections of adrenaline (once when I was 7 it took 3 nurses, my dad and another guy to hold me down just to give me a shot and I weighed like 70 pounds).

Lastly, sorry for the huge text block. Just found the forum. O_o

nikvoodoo
Nov 11th, 2011, 07:23 PM
Just a couple of points off of what was said above by anhysbys:

Thank you for falling into the fold of there can't be franken-zombies!

Just because the average ceiling height is 8 feet tall does not mean the behemoths are 8 feet tall or less. After all, we've only really seen one indoors where height would matter (the water works) and in that situation it had a hard time navigating to get to the survivors (I know one was in the Arena too, but hockey rinks have very high ceilings nearly everywhere so it's movement wouldn't be impeded by any structure). The best we can guess is they are less than 10-12 feet tall but possibly right around there because the height of an average garbage truck is about 13-14 feet tall and the Behemoth Skittles described couldn't reach the cat on top.

As for the weight/stair thing: Cows don't walk on two legs. Behemoths do. While they still might have issues, being Bipedal gives them an advantage over a four legged bovine in terms of balance and weight distribution. A cow's weight would all be leaning forward so if it were to actually try to walk down a flight of steps they would invariably fall on their face. Bipeds don't have the same issue since they carry their weight directly over their feet.

Anhysbys
Nov 12th, 2011, 08:28 AM
True they are bipedal, but to balance out the immense weight they'd have to have to go through walls they would need large feet to spread it out along the largest surface area to prevent them from just breaking their feet into a bunch of bone shards and flesh. You also can't forget the part where Angel and Kalani plan to lead the behemoth through the restaurant to try to collapse it ontop of it. A fast food restaurant usually doesn't have as high ceilings as a pumping station (the pipes could also play a part in the behemoths navigation problems, along with it's bad eyesight) or a hockey rink, it'd still be tall though. They'd still have to clear the roof of the restaurant because it's hard to drive your head through a cement(?) roof continuously and it's hard to move fast while stooping over as much as a 12-15 foot behemoth would. I was mostly getting at the fact that they'd not want to climb because of their immense weight (say climbing onto a big vehicle to get at a cat while weighing about ~1-2 tons), should've avoided using a quadriped as an example...

GeneTwo
Nov 19th, 2011, 05:25 PM
I wonder if folks had theories on what happened to the Jumpers. Skittles thought they had all died out. Evolved or made they seem to have a specific purpose, to break into towers. When all heck broke loose a lot of people escaped and some must have hunkered down.

Where are you going to go when the radio says that all roads are blocked. Anyway whenever something happens, the authorities always say to stay where you are. LA is a big city with a lot of towers.

So think of the towers are zombie Costcos. I figure if the survivors are looking for food so are the zombies. So less inhabited towers mean less need for Jumpers.

Solanine
Nov 20th, 2011, 04:23 AM
Purpose built Jumpers would require a long period in which towers were the main source of food, not something I believe there was during the outbreak. Evolution happens on a massive scale over a long period of time. Even with a virus prone to mutations the benefit over the status quo just wouldn't be there. Your wording makes it sound like you believe intelligent design is behind the variants rather than just the virus. I Don't believe this to be true due to the foresight needed. New variants would have to be developed as new problems, some of which would be completely unpredictable, came up. Could be though that the jumpers were created like the rest of them (smart ones, runners, behemoths etc) due too differences in physical traits of hosts, dying out due to rarity of hosts with the required physique and lack practical applications of there talents.

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Nov 21st, 2011, 11:00 AM
BEHEMOTH 101:

1. They are too tall to stoop through a doorway
2. Too wide to fit through a door
3. Massive enough to knock down load bearing walls (not just put holes in them).
4. Strong enough to withstand tons of weight falling on them.
5. They can't climb (skittles already stated this FACT).

Solanine
Nov 22nd, 2011, 01:24 PM
BEHEMOTH 101:

1. They are too tall to stoop through a doorway
2. Too wide to fit through a door
3. Massive enough to knock down load bearing walls (not just put holes in them).
4. Strong enough to withstand tons of weight falling on them.
5. They can't climb (skittles already stated this FACT).

This is crowbar, his knowledge is his treasure!

http://i.imgur.com/NjuKP.jpg

Anhysbys
Dec 13th, 2011, 08:51 PM
Grr more tower theories, I sincerely doubt that there would be more than the 2 towers we have already seen. Not everyone would think of adapting hotel/apartment buildings. The mallers thought of the stripmall, but eventually realized how much better the tower was compared to that. Durai isn't stupid either. Further disproving express-built jumpers.

6. Others don't like them.
7. Smarties have minor control over them (enough to coincide semi-peacefully with them in the rink)
8. Ink has control over them.
9. Tank through bullets
10. Layer from eye socket to brain is strong enough to take an arrow.
11. Or they don't need brain.
12. They need high amounts of food intake or they pass out in a semi-dormant state until food arrives/ Diabetic (Angel and Kalani :D)
13. Have some symptoms showing high amounts of steroids produced in their body.
14. Strong sense of smell and weak sight (points to maybe their eyes aren't functional and serve a defensive purpose and have jellied up heavily instead of the normal purpose[although I highly doubt it]/ #11).
15. Skin is thick enough to avoid steam burns from water pumping plant.
16. Not Frankenmonsters.

panzerfaust
Dec 27th, 2011, 11:06 PM
Theorie: behemoths are big because of increased testosterone

This is proven by there zits on there faces and why they r so big the infected behemoths brain when it was infected took over the brain and increased the testosterone output creating the leathery skin, zits, and increased size. This also would explain that the disease is a nuero-diseease probably residing in the cerebrel cortex. A good example is a teenager they have zits because they are going through puberty which is basically increased testosterone levels.

Jordan531
Jan 3rd, 2012, 04:20 PM
Here are some of my thoughts. The Smart Ones and Howlers are the same creature. They're like a sort of Commander to the "Biters". IMO Randy is one of these. Behemoths IMO looks like a zombie Hulk but slow and ungainly.

Solanine
Jan 4th, 2012, 10:44 AM
Huh, I got the impression that any Zombie could howl, Riley said in the hospital the first time she shot one with her bow before it could call for help. And the biscuit tin thing is the only way I've heard them do it.

Wicked Sid
Jan 4th, 2012, 12:52 PM
I'm pretty sure all Smart Ones can howl, but not all Howlers are smart.

Just like all Howlers are zombies but not all zombies are howlers.

Jordan531
Jan 4th, 2012, 01:02 PM
I guess I see it a bit differently. I don't see the "Smart Ones" howls as merely being calls for help, they're directing the rest where to go and what to do. Like I said like a sort of commander/coordinator. I guess there could be Regulars that can just call for help but I don't see it as the same thing.

nikvoodoo
Jan 11th, 2012, 04:21 AM
I believe we have our first official artistic interpretation of what a behemoth looks like from the 25-2 Artwork:

What say you? (Pardon the small, needs to be clicked nature of the image. I didn't want to link to the podcast homepage and have the image disappear in 5 days)

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Jan 11th, 2012, 09:48 AM
Nik!

I gotta confess, I didn't know what the hell that was in the picture. I never looked that hard at it, but now that you've posted it....it works for me. I'll buy that it can't climb because it can't reach its arms over its head.
I thought I'd go Behemoth hunting with the picture I had in my mind, but that thing there... nope. It looks dense. Now it makes sense why the arrow didn't penetrate the skull and why the .50 knocked it down with Saul's bad marksmanship and all the weaving and stuff.
I also dig how the head is sort of in the middle instead of sticking on top like ours do. F'n hard target to hit with all that mass surrounding it.

Pickle72
Jan 26th, 2012, 11:11 AM
This my theory. We where attacked by someone or something(aliens, terrorist?). At the very beginning of the story when Michael is at class there was a huge explosion. Everyone went out to see what the hell happened. I think this explosion happened at ground zero in LA and there must of been others all over the world. What was released is unknown but I think it has to be a purpose built virus or a very freaky accident. Everyone around ground zero absorbed the virus and immediately changed into the first stage of "zombie" or just a plain old bitter. This virus will go into the DNA, RNA and unlock all or most of the mutations that the human body has learned to turn off over thousands of years of evolution. The stronger mutated zombies gain strength with time and the mutations have a longer time to develop, so stage two zombie. This zombie has regained some thought control, maybe has a purpose or agenda. The virus must also work with or compound physical and or mental traits of the host. Strong, muscle bounds might turn into behemoths. Maybe the Steroids compound its effect. I think its obvious that the "colored one" or "ink" is the psychopath who they heard about when they watched the news broadcast on the Tivo. Smart ones and crazy ones just get there smarts and crazies modified to the nth degree.
Once they got a good foot hold over there human predators they would have time to evolve farther, stage three zombie? Who knows what is in store for the survivors in the near future. It can't be good what ever it is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mutation
Reading the above link, makes it all seem so plausible. You just need the right switch.

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Jan 27th, 2012, 06:09 AM
This my theory. We where attacked by someone or something(aliens, terrorist?). At the very beginning of the story when Michael is at class there was a huge explosion. Everyone went out to see what the hell happened. I think this explosion happened at ground zero in LA and there must of been others all over the world. What was released is unknown but I think it has to be a purpose built virus or a very freaky accident. Everyone around ground zero absorbed the virus and immediately changed into the first stage of "zombie" or just a plain old bitter. This virus will go into the DNA, RNA and unlock all or most of the mutations that the human body has learned to turn off over thousands of years of evolution. The stronger mutated zombies gain strength with time and the mutations have a longer time to develop, so stage two zombie. This zombie has regained some thought control, maybe has a purpose or agenda. The virus must also work with or compound physical and or mental traits of the host. Strong, muscle bounds might turn into behemoths. Maybe the Steroids compound its effect. I think its obvious that the "colored one" or "ink" is the psychopath who they heard about when they watched the news broadcast on the Tivo. Smart ones and crazy ones just get there smarts and crazies modified to the nth degree.
Once they got a good foot hold over there human predators they would have time to evolve farther, stage three zombie? Who knows what is in store for the survivors in the near future. It can't be good what ever it is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mutation
Reading the above link, makes it all seem so plausible. You just need the right switch.

Not too bad a theory on how they came to look like they do. Almost like George R.R Martin's "Wild Cards" series.

Crowbar out!

Phayz
Jan 31st, 2012, 03:16 PM
I always pictured the Behemoths as looking more like the Tank from left 4 dead 1/2, except maybe taller and a little more mutation in the legs...http://left4dead.wikia.com/wiki/File:L4d2-tank.jpg

Pickle72
Feb 2nd, 2012, 07:11 AM
I just finished re-listening to the whole story again. Its amazing the little bits of info you miss the first time through. So my theory about the virus flipping switches in DNA/RNA still stands but I picked up on something I completely missed the first time around regarding the little ones. The scary dude from the Arena tattooed them (the one that got his arm ripped off had a #5 tattooed on it) and trimmed there finger nails into sharp points. We know this cause when they where looking at the arm that got ripped off they talked about its finger nails being filed to sharp points. And in the Hospital we find tattoo equipment and finger nails on the floor and nail files and nail clippers. There are some theories that the "colored one" made these and all the new zombies. I don't think so, I think he is just favoring these new beasts like a new child. For what ever reason he is compelled to care for them, make them special. Maybe they are the whole reason for the virus, to make these little ones and the other special zombies?
You also have to remember that the "colored one" is not the starter of all this. It is happening all over the world and it seemed to happen at the same time. So it is either a crazy accident that this dude got the right dose of virus to became what he is or it was in the design of the virus for certain variations to emerge. These smart/crazy/leader ones being one variant maybe a care giver of sorts, a mother beast? You would have to assume that every epicenter around the world would then have the same kind of set of events. Makes me come back to this being some sort of alien attack to first create as many of us into them and then to start transforming into them, through accelerated mutations, with lots and lots of food for them to eat along the way.
What do you think?

Wicked Sid
Feb 2nd, 2012, 01:48 PM
We don't actually know that this is happening all over the world. The most we know is that something similar may have happened in San Diego(?) due to the news report and that it has spread to the surrounding area of L.A., due to Fort Irwin being on high alert.

There have been no other reports as to if there are actually other Smart Ones of the caliber that Mr. Suit is, so we also do not know if the other cities, if it has happened there, have any smart ones, jumpers, behemoths, little ones etc. if they are even there it may be just run of the mill Biters.

nikvoodoo
Feb 2nd, 2012, 01:57 PM
We don't actually know that this is happening all over the world. The most we know is that something similar may have happened in San Diego(?) due to the news report and that it has spread to the surrounding area of L.A., due to Fort Irwin being on high alert.

Don't forget Hawaii.

Pickle72
Feb 3rd, 2012, 06:06 AM
I think we have to assume its a world wide occurrence. If it was only local than there would be a lot more rescue attempts. Getting the people the hell out of the infected zone and into the safe zone. Also no radio chatter, no TV broadcasts, no airplanes flying over, no nothing anywhere. Hawaii was hit. I would think if a remote place like hawaii was hit than its likely that every other location on the map was too. Just assumptions but it makes sense, to me any way.
And we don't know if there are other smart ones. But if this was a planed attack by someone or something than there would be a plan for smart ones to emerge. Of course this could just be some crazy freak of nature thing and the people of L.A. are doubly un lucky to have the zombies and the smart ones.

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Feb 7th, 2012, 06:51 AM

There have been no other reports as to if there are actually other Smart Ones of the caliber that Mr. Suit is, so we also do not know if the other cities, if it has happened there, have any smart ones, jumpers, behemoths, little ones etc. if they are even there it may be just run of the mill Biters.

Sid,

Like Voodoo said, you forgot Hawaii and that Kalani says they're more aggressive. It is also fact that the infected are way up north from what they saw during the fly over and it's a pretty good bet that Catalina island is done.

pokoey13
Feb 9th, 2012, 07:53 AM
I wonder how the zombies regulate their body temperature. In the book world war z the zombies don't die but freeze solid during the winter the humans take advantage of this by destroying a large number of them the ones they miss, later thaw out and continue their endless search for BRAAAAAIIIIINSSSSS

Raven
Feb 9th, 2012, 08:01 AM
I think this was alluded to when Pegs and Micheal went swimming they were corroded by the saltwater maybe? The ones that were on the island had been starving and tried to swim. So question time does a dehydrated zombie float like cork? In the of Day of the Dead I think it was they just walked along the bottom of the water....oh wait that movie never happened I must be imagining it

nikvoodoo
Feb 9th, 2012, 10:52 AM
I wonder how the zombies regulate their body temperature. In the book world war z the zombies don't die but freeze solid during the winter the humans take advantage of this by destroying a large number of them the ones they miss, later thaw out and continue their endless search for BRAAAAAIIIIINSSSSS

There's a very large and argumentative thread somewhere around her dealing with the zombies and their body temperature. That's a conversation you might want to look in to. I'll find a link eventually and put it in here so you don't have to hunt for it. But you might want to look in the meantime in Zombie Theories.

Edit: Found it (http://www.zombiepodcast.com/forum/showthread.php?1168-The-Zombies-heat-status)

Grognaurd
Mar 5th, 2012, 06:07 AM

Better late than never....

I am pretty sure the TiVo says it is happening in cities around the world. Chapter 2, part 2 maybe?

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Mar 5th, 2012, 06:58 AM

Say what? It's more than Inferred.

Like Nik said.. Hawaii. 2551 miles across the Pacific and we're just gonna buy that Cali and Hawaii are semi isolated incidents? I don't think we need Emperical data

Wicked Sid
Mar 6th, 2012, 02:24 PM
San Diego, Los Angeles, and Hawaii.

Both San Diego and Hawaii are easily accessible by way of Los Angeles, this in no way infers that the Entire World has been infected. It simply states that whatever the start of the infection may be it was either in transit from one of these places to the other two or there was some constant within each of the cities (such as a bio-engineering company with an office in each). We could assume that neither of these three were exposed first due to someone with an open wound would not be let on a plane unless they concealed it extremly well and that the TiVo recording was recorded too early to have the infection spread to there naturally. From that we can assume that there is no reason for the infection to have occurred around the planet simultaneously.

Edit: In the light of a relisten, I realize that I was wrong.

Detroit, San Diego, New York, Huston, and Chicago. And also internationally. This has spread extremly quickly.

To Quote Riley "How the Hell did it spread so fast?"

Zombiphobe
Apr 17th, 2012, 02:23 PM
Supposition: Slow-turners are specialized zombies, in the way of jumpers and behemoths.

It seems odd that the only slow-turner we have heard about was at the Colony, where they have seen none of the other specialized zombies. We would expect to find these more specialized zombie varieties closer to Ground Zero.

We know the CJ's Tower did a lot of recon work around Ground Zero, and some of those members made it down to the Colony, including someone name James who "died of an infection".

I remember Yarri and Nikvoodoo suggesting that James could have been the slow-turner Tanya mentioned treating. He could have gotten bit/scratched by a slow-turned zombie during one of their recon missions, and since he did not seem to turn right away, he could have been given a clean bill of health.

After CJ's Tower was attacked, he then made his way to the Colony with Hope and Sean. After a while he would have started showing signs of turning. In trying to treat the slow-turning patient, Tanya could have been scratched/infected, as has been suggested from the bandage on her arm when Michael first met her.

In this scenario, the incubation time would be of considerable length and Tanya may just now be beginning to show signs of turning.

JambaJuicer111
Apr 20th, 2012, 01:07 PM
when i think of behemothes i think of1773
except, bigger and more like 10-12 ft tall