PDA

View Full Version : A Story of Survival - The Podcast Re-Master QC thread

Kc
Apr 19th, 2016, 05:45 PM
Hi Everyone. I need a favor. The new feed for We're Alive is getting the remastered episodes, but we need your help to check them. We're too swamped with Lockdown at the moment. If you could, go to the feed:
http://art19.com/shows/were-alive-a-story-of-survival

And if you listen to an episode, please post here any errors we need to fix. Be sure to give us the episode number, and the timecode for when the error occurs.

What to listen for?
Weird reverb sound that over-rides the scene
Voices cut off or out (these are pretty easy to spot, you don't need a script)
large increases or decreases in volume.

Anything else that you might think is an error. Don't give us content or story notes, we don't need those. Thanks again everyone!

EDIT!!! The first two seasons are up, don't go past 24, the rest of those remasters aren't up yet.

Kc
Apr 19th, 2016, 08:41 PM
Chapter 4 Episode 3, sounds great! And we need to get these done by Saturday.

Merlin1274
Apr 20th, 2016, 10:33 AM
Chapter 1 part 2 has 52 seconds of silence before the intro starts.

Cdmassey987
Apr 20th, 2016, 12:24 PM
Tommorrow I will start from chapter 2 and work my way through. I think I should be able to cover 2-8 possibly, will keep notes and update this post no later than Friday. Thanks for the Info KC

Update 4/21/16 349pm
got from 2-5 sounds good, I have no complaints. I can see BuzzBros2002 points on chapter 5 part 1, other than that sound good. going to keep going through from 5 on I'm sure that you'll load more by the time I can get to the end of 24.

UPDATE 4/25/16
Episode 12-4 there is a something wrong in the beginning a lot of dead space between the intro ending and the actual chapter starting. I want to say there was another situation like this in chapter 12 too, but I wait until the end of the whole thing to do updates sorry (episode 12-2 about 10 sec or more of just dead air no background music etc...)

joeroot9357
Apr 21st, 2016, 03:24 AM
Chapter 2 Episode 1 is just awesome and mine favorite one

Kc
Apr 21st, 2016, 10:28 AM
Chapter 1 part 2 has 52 seconds of silence before the intro starts.
Fixed! Thanks-

buzzbros2002
Apr 21st, 2016, 10:56 AM
BAD POST: PLEASE IGNORE

Currently working through 40:1-3. Will edit when done or as I find issues.

EDIT 1: E40P1 is done.

00:04:54.826
It sounds like he's talking away from the mic, could be meant to sound like that but just in case it's not I figured I'd mention it.

00:18:43.335
If possible, the radio static/click may want to be taken just a bit down volume wise, it's uneven with the rest of the scene and is almost clipping. Not too much, just a tad bit maybe though.

Gonna run to the bank and then come back for part 2.

Saw Edit, going back to older episodes, starting with 5.

Kc
Apr 21st, 2016, 11:19 AM
Currently working through 40:1-3. Will edit when done or as I find issues.
Wait! Up till 24 is done, not there yet~

buzzbros2002
Apr 21st, 2016, 12:31 PM
Chapter 5 Part 1

00:00:41.088017
Maybe shorten the length of silence?

00:03:04.027420
May want to make the outside sounds slightly quieter during the inside outside transition, as it sounds like if it were in video it'd be shot in the vehicle, and would have a quieter ambient sound, before becoming quieter after the door closes.

Part 2

Seems to be all clear.

Part 3

This one is clear as well. Closing my book on Chapter 5. Gonna job hunt now, but I'll come back this evening to get one or two more for today.

Kat E
Apr 21st, 2016, 01:07 PM
I can handle Chapters 9 and 10.

Storm
Apr 21st, 2016, 03:04 PM
Chapter 1.1: Closing door at 02:42.5 or so... Teacher's voice fades out after the door has closed...I've kinda grown used to it, so would almost be sad to have it fixed after this long...Buuut still :)

Kc
Apr 21st, 2016, 03:16 PM
Chapter 1.1: Closing door at 02:42.5 or so... Teacher's voice fades out after the door has closed...I've kinda grown used to it, so would almost be sad to have it fixed after this long...Buuut still :)

Then it will remain ;) Details inside the episodes we're not as focused on as the broad strokes for mistakes. Basically things that will break the listener's experience.

buzzbros2002
Apr 21st, 2016, 04:19 PM
Alright, back. I'll jump on 6 and 7 this evening. I posted the call on Reddit and it already got a response about 7-3. I'll double check it, but the reddit posting is here.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Werealive/comments/4fub74/kc_needs_volunteers_with_ears_to_relisten_to/

EDIT: 6 is groovy, although on part 2 the credits may start a bit too early.

EDIT 2: Around 3:27.000 at Chapter 7 Part 3 is the "Sweat of bottles" thing. Aside from that, not catching any major audio errors in 7. Credit to giving me a heads up on that one goes to /u/OneRunJunior on Reddit.

I'm out for the night, gonna get started on more of this hopefully tomorrow morning though.

Kat E
Apr 21st, 2016, 05:45 PM
DONE. Chapters 9 and 10 are error free. Ran thru them twice to make sure.

Some of the darkest and best work. Reminds me of why I'm such a fan.

kmbillet
Apr 21st, 2016, 07:56 PM
I don't want to come across mean. But I have noticed that in the whole series of We're Alive Jay Olegario sounds like he is reading his lines instead of acting his part. I don't know if this is something you can fix. But it is very noticeable, and if it is possible to be fixed I would greatly appreciate it.

buzzbros2002
Apr 21st, 2016, 10:44 PM
I don't want to come across mean. But I have noticed that in the whole series of We're Alive Jay Olegario sounds like he is reading his lines instead of acting his part. I don't know if this is something you can fix. But it is very noticeable, and if it is possible to be fixed I would greatly appreciate it.

A lot of everyman characters can come off that way. Despite that though, I'm pretty sure the crew would agree when I say that I'm almost certain there's no way to re-record or re-edit all his lines. King Datu stands as is.

kmbillet
Apr 21st, 2016, 10:51 PM
I understand completely. I just was not sure if this was a possibility to do. But if not I understand their is not a lot of time :)

Kat E
Apr 22nd, 2016, 07:49 AM
I'm on Chapters 11 and 12.

Kat E
Apr 22nd, 2016, 01:08 PM
Chapter 11 reviewed and is fine. Nice and even. Onward to Chapter 12.

Evelizard
Apr 22nd, 2016, 04:38 PM
to me chapter 12 sounds fine, but part 4 is not appearing on the podcast app so who knows

Kat E
Apr 22nd, 2016, 05:48 PM
Chapter 12, Part 2.
After the chapter intro there's a 15 second gap (:40 - : 55) after sound/music stops and then comes back in at the :55 second mark.

Part 3.
Peg has a number of inner monologues and the ones that begin at 10:07 and 11:37 are a shade or two softer than previous inner monologues by any character. The background white noise throughout this Part is pretty loud, yet atmospheric. Don't know if this can be resolved, but episode would be more than fine as is.

Part 4.
Missing

Kat E
Apr 22nd, 2016, 10:43 PM
Chapters 16, 17 and 18 are fine, in more ways than one. :>}

Kc
Apr 23rd, 2016, 08:23 PM
to me chapter 12 sounds fine, but part 4 is not appearing on the podcast app so who knows
Just fixed 4, thanks!

Chapter 12, Part 2.
After the chapter intro there's a 15 second gap (:40 - : 55) after sound/music stops and then comes back in at the :55 second mark.

Part 3.
Peg has a number of inner monologues and the ones that begin at 10:07 and 11:37 are a shade or two softer than previous inner monologues by any character. The background white noise throughout this Part is pretty loud, yet atmospheric. Don't know if this can be resolved, but episode would be more than fine as is.

Part 4.
Missing

Submitted these fixes.

Chapters 16, 17 and 18 are fine, in more ways than one. :>}

Storm
Apr 24th, 2016, 03:48 PM
Then it will remain ;) Details inside the episodes we're not as focused on as the broad strokes for mistakes. Basically things that will break the listener's experience.

I can only speak for myself of course, but it tends to be small Things like that that can break my immersion...Or if the same (distinct) sound effect is used multiple times close to each other. Minor details, so understandable to not fix it. I'll just keep imagining that the door's made of a material that'll allow soundwaves to travel through it as if it was air, but only for a quarter of a second XD
On another note, nice to see that you're putting up the remastered episodes, though my nostalgic Heart sniffles a bit. It makes sense though, so yay.
*Goes back to catching up on Apt2C*

Storm
Apr 25th, 2016, 06:31 PM
Somehow I'm having big time problems editing my previous post...I blame my screen reader since I doubt the forum layout hasn't changed...BUUUT...
I was just trying to edit to say that I failed biiig time somehow...Hadn't realised there was a new feed...Ink knows why... Just went and checked, door Works just fine here.
Sorry for this...Much awkwardness XD
*Writes note to self about making sure to read everything, multiple times...Even the funny Little zombie symbols, if any are to be found...* *Goes to get more sleep before bigger mistakes happen*

Cdmassey987
Apr 27th, 2016, 04:38 AM
So rather than continue to update my post on the first page I'm making a new post. Season 1 is done and it looks like Kc has addressed all the things that were mentioned. I'm just getting into chapter 15 and everything sounds great so far. Thank you again KC for uploading the remasters. Any news on when 25-48 will be uploaded? or do you plan to be sure about 1-24 first? I'm glad to keep plugging through. I hope all is well in CA and Lockdown land have a great day!

Kc
Apr 27th, 2016, 11:55 AM
Update, season 3 up!

Kat E
May 1st, 2016, 12:10 AM
Hi KC. Not sure if this got posted, but I finished chapters 25 through 32 and there are no sound issues. I just wanted to point out regarding chapter 30, Part two of three, Saul's final line "She's what!?", get a tad stepped on by the closing credits. It's a big line, it deserves a big pause.

Kc
May 1st, 2016, 09:43 AM
Hi KC. Not sure if this got posted, but I finished chapters 25 through 32 and there are no sound issues. I just wanted to point out regarding chapter 30, Part two of three, Saul's final line "She's what!?", get a tad stepped on by the closing credits. It's a big line, it deserves a big pause.
Note given, thanks!

Cdmassey987
May 6th, 2016, 07:19 AM
Chapter 32 Part 2 I noticed at 3:07 Bigsby repeats the line "hug the right" twice so in the audio it is "Hug the right hug the right," just want to confirm that is how it is supposed to be. Should he say that only once? Seems almost like an unintended repeated phrase before Victor's line.

Chapter 33 the conversation between Michael and Tanya in the holding cell seems to have a lot of echo. I don't remember it being like that in the itunes podcast I could be wrong, had a little trouble understanding it at first, but was fine once I really dialed in and paid more acute attention. Maybe just take a quick listen to be sure. Chapter 33 Part 1 15:56 to 19:50 that's the timing for the entire conversation.

Kc
May 6th, 2016, 11:36 AM
Chapter 32 Part 2 I noticed at 3:07 Bigsby repeats the line "hug the right" twice so in the audio it is "Hug the right hug the right," just want to confirm that is how it is supposed to be. Should he say that only once? Seems almost like an unintended repeated phrase before Victor's line.

Chapter 33 the conversation between Michael and Tanya in the holding cell seems to have a lot of echo. I don't remember it being like that in the itunes podcast I could be wrong, had a little trouble understanding it at first, but was fine once I really dialed in and paid more acute attention. Maybe just take a quick listen to be sure. Chapter 33 Part 1 15:56 to 19:50 that's the timing for the entire conversation.

I'll have 33 checked out. The chapter 32 is intentional, he says it twice on purpose. Thanks!

jimntex
May 6th, 2016, 01:27 PM
Chapter 5 part 3 of 3 - The Narrator says its part 2 of 3. I went back and had to listen to him on part 2 of 3 to make sure i didn't hear it wrong. I got really confused during Chapter 11 Part 2 there are some big changes in that one from the original version you released. Keep up the great work!!

jimntex
May 6th, 2016, 01:31 PM
Chapter 5 part 3 of 3 - The Narrator says its part 2 of 3. I went back and had to listen to him on part 2 of 3 to make sure i didn't hear it wrong. I got really confused during Chapter 11 Part 2 there are some big changes in that one from the original version you released. Keep up the great work!!

Cdmassey987
May 9th, 2016, 07:13 AM
Just getting through Season 3. You guys have done awesome work. Do you have an ETA for uploading Season 4? No pressure just wondering. Keep up the great work on Lockdown as well!!

Chapter 35 Part 2 25:40-26:37 this is when Glen and Pete arrive to the Colony after the battle to get working on the phone and they start talking with Victor. There is a ton of echo making it very hard to hear what they are saying and the volume of the individual voices seems off. Sounds like maybe they are supposed to be in a hallway I think. Victor is really loud while Glenn and Pete are quieter like they are off in the distance, which I get, but the echo makes it tough to follow the conversation.

pmchawk
May 10th, 2016, 04:57 PM
Glad someone pointed out the echo in 35.

I may have gotten ahead listening through the app.

A non sound related thing. Not really a fan of the change in the interaction between Riley and Tardust in 46 P3/3. I felt something was lost with how quickly it ended. Didn't seem to build up to it.

Storm
May 10th, 2016, 09:23 PM
Sounds like 5.3/3 is called 2/3 in the intro...I just noticed in the latest APT2C, then went to check the feed too...

Cdmassey987
May 17th, 2016, 06:25 AM
So I took another listen to the sections in Chapter 33 Part 1 (15:56 to 19:50) and then Chapter 35 Part 2 (25:40-26:37). Did your team have a chance to look at these? After listening to the part in Chapter 33 it sounded a little better, but I wonder if that is because I haven't listened to it in a few weeks. Chapter 35 sounded the same.

Also how else can we help?

Kc
May 17th, 2016, 10:14 AM
So I took another listen to the sections in Chapter 33 Part 1 (15:56 to 19:50) and then Chapter 35 Part 2 (25:40-26:37). Did your team have a chance to look at these? After listening to the part in Chapter 33 it sounded a little better, but I wonder if that is because I haven't listened to it in a few weeks. Chapter 35 sounded the same.

I'll double check them, but season 4 will be up eventually to check, so we're in a holding pattern. Thank you for your help!!

Kc
May 17th, 2016, 10:21 AM

Yup, that's way off. I let Grayson know to do a fix asap.

ebang720
May 19th, 2016, 11:14 AM
Hey KC. I noticed that Chapter 12 - The War needs a little touch up. First there are two "1 of 4" episodes, and the "2 of 4" episode starts out by saying it's "1 of 4". I am listening on a Windows 10 phone using the Podcast app. I will check the direct mp3 download to see if the same occurs.
I'm on at least 11th or 12th listen through of the series. Man, you and your team knocked it out the park and LockDown is greatness too. I know you have a lot on your plate, but I would LOVE to hear stories from different parts of the Country and World for that matter. Survivalist in Texas that have been waiting on this to happen for years, or a Sub that has been on silent maneuvers for 3 months. Whatever you pen, and your people act out, I know it will be tremendous. Now to get more Merch in that damn Store! LOL

KPCoyote
May 19th, 2016, 12:15 PM
Hey KC. I noticed that Chapter 12 - The War needs a little touch up. First there are two "1 of 4" episodes, and the "2 of 4" episode starts out by saying it's "1 of 4". I am listening on a Windows 10 phone using the Podcast app. I will check the direct mp3 download to see if the same occurs.
I'm on at least 11th or 12th listen through of the series. Man, you and your team knocked it out the park and LockDown is greatness too. I know you have a lot on your plate, but I would LOVE to hear stories from different parts of the Country and World for that matter. Survivalist in Texas that have been waiting on this to happen for years, or a Sub that has been on silent maneuvers for 3 months. Whatever you pen, and your people act out, I know it will be tremendous. Now to get more Merch in that damn Store! LOL

What kind of merch?

ebang720
May 20th, 2016, 09:56 AM
Well, I have the map (greatness) but I need some displayable items. Coffee Mugs, cups, travel cups. Maybe a poster of the Characters with the actors below them? Posters of the Colorado compound, the colony, all CJ's spots, the original tower, the Mall, The Jail, the Prison. I realize dolls are probably pretty hard, but how about an INK plush? LOL

Kc
May 20th, 2016, 01:44 PM
I can see what I can do. We are looking to expand our merch line

KPCoyote
May 20th, 2016, 06:14 PM
Well, I have the map (greatness) but I need some displayable items. Coffee Mugs, cups, travel cups. Maybe a poster of the Characters with the actors below them? Posters of the Colorado compound, the colony, all CJ's spots, the original tower, the Mall, The Jail, the Prison. I realize dolls are probably pretty hard, but how about an INK plush? LOL

I love the cast/character poster idea. And 3D printing figurines would be awesome.

Cdmassey987
Jun 7th, 2016, 05:45 AM
Still waiting to sink my teeth into Season 4 after a fabulous ending to Lockdown. I could listen to this stuff all day. This stuff is my go to for when I push mow my lawn and my morning runs. I usually can finish about an episode of the WA and maybe half or three quarters of a Lockdown episode. Best stuff out there to listen to!

Zombiemom
Jun 15th, 2016, 10:43 PM
I don't know if it's just my phone being stupid or what but I'm relistening on iTunes and chapter 22 part 3 at the very end has a lot of weird echoes and repeated lines.

Kat E
Jun 16th, 2016, 06:50 AM
I don't know if it's just my phone being stupid or what but I'm relistening on iTunes and chapter 22 part 3 at the very end has a lot of weird echoes and repeated lines.

Awesome catch at 14:31 and then 16:00 to the end it a bit of a mess. Good ears ZM! There's a doubling of the line at the very end on Swan's sign off too.

turbo
Jun 17th, 2016, 09:55 AM
Awesome catch at 14:31 and then 16:00 to the end it a bit of a mess. Good ears ZM! There's a doubling of the line at the very end on Swan's sign off too.

I hear this too, good catches.

Kc
Jun 18th, 2016, 10:16 PM
Fixed! Uploading new versions, should be up soonish

turbo
Jun 19th, 2016, 10:58 AM
Fixed and uploaded to the server :D