PDA

View Full Version : No Habla Espanol

nikvoodoo
Feb 8th, 2011, 08:36 PM
I remember this being brought up in a topic somewhere but I couldn't find it or the answer to it anywhere so I figured I'd just break it out into it's own thing here.

in 17-2 Fernando and Victor speak to each other in Spanish. It also seems to be a pretty sizable amount of dialogue that could contain some vital information about the Colony. And of course being a proud American citizen, I only speak English!!! (...ok well, a little French too because that's the language I studied in high school and college...:p). So I'm woefully ill equipped to translate what they said to each other before the wave attacked them.

Did anyone/can anyone translate what they said?

mascaria
Feb 8th, 2011, 11:31 PM
ok so my spanish isn't fantastic but from what I understood Fernando first tells Victor not to get crazy and then Victor tells Fernando to come outside with his gun. The Fernando asks if they're taking them with them and Victor says that Marcus doesn't need to know. That's when they get the call on the radio...

nikvoodoo
Feb 8th, 2011, 11:36 PM
ok so my spanish isn't fantastic but from what I understood Fernando first tells Victor not to get crazy and then Victor tells Fernando to come outside with his gun. The Fernando asks if they're taking them with them and Victor says that Marcus doesn't need to know. That's when they get the call on the radio...

And for this you rock. That sheds some light on Victor. Even then he didn't want to get Marcus involved, so I guess the question remains unchanged: Why?

mascaria
Feb 8th, 2011, 11:44 PM
Another good question is why is he so vehemently against them coming while Fernando didn't seem to care? Maybe not everyone in the compound hates it?

nikvoodoo
Feb 8th, 2011, 11:56 PM
If you listen to Pete he sounds happy as a pig in...yeah. The gatekeeper doesn't seem to mind his position though its hard to tell with his severely blase/matter of fact attitude. So I imagine there are at least a portion of the Colony residents who are just fine with their situation.

Perhaps Fernando was still drinking the Marcus kool-aid. Could be that most people (barring Victor, Hope and potentially Tanya) in the Colony have elevated Marcus to an unhealthy level because he rescued them in some manner so they treat him as a messiah figure: All powerful, never wrong etc etc.

Destiny
Feb 9th, 2011, 04:50 AM
The Colony = illegal immigrants

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Feb 9th, 2011, 06:10 AM
Some people are probably privy to information the Serfs just don't need to know. Marcus could very well be building a cult

Onslaught
Feb 9th, 2011, 07:03 AM
Another good question is why is he so vehemently against them coming while Fernando didn't seem to care? Maybe not everyone in the compound hates it?
Maybe thats why there was more than one person in the scout groups. If Victor was alone he could run away, but with Fernando there he has to stay because Fernando is apparently loyal to the colony, Victor not so much.

nikvoodoo
Feb 9th, 2011, 09:43 AM
Maybe thats why there was more than one person in the scout groups. If Victor was alone he could run away, but with Fernando there he has to stay because Fernando is apparently loyal to the colony, Victor not so much.

Once Fernando was dead and Victor wanted to escape, why didn't he enlist the help of Michael, Pegs and Kelly to help him escape. If he truly, in his heart of hearts, wanted to escape he was given the perfect opportunity and he didn't take it.

mascaria
Feb 9th, 2011, 10:05 AM
The Colony = illegal immigrants
That's pretty racist.

Once Fernando was dead and Victor wanted to escape, why didn't he enlist the help of Michael, Pegs and Kelly to help him escape. If he truly, in his heart of hearts, wanted to escape he was given the perfect opportunity and he didn't take it.

Which makes me wonder what it is that Marcus has on him! Or who he still has in the Colony... He never did answer the questions about if he had a family did he?

Onslaught
Feb 9th, 2011, 10:31 AM
Which makes me wonder what it is that Marcus has on him! Or who he still has in the Colony... He never did answer the questions about if he had a family did he?
So its probably something like, you run away we kill your family.

nikvoodoo
Feb 9th, 2011, 01:07 PM
So its probably something like, you run away we kill your family.

Perhaps. I would bet he isn't married though. With the inquisitive nature he's been viewed by all three of them one would hope they'd notice a ring on his finger. Especially Kelly. She would definitely key on that being the observant lawyer she is.

RamblinMike
Feb 9th, 2011, 02:20 PM
Perhaps. I would bet he isn't married though. With the inquisitive nature he's been viewed by all three of them one would hope they'd notice a ring on his finger. Especially Kelly. She would definitely key on that being the observant lawyer she is.

Kelly did notice. "Looks like you were married before. Is your wife here, too?"

Victor: "No."

"Got any kids?"

He never replied to that, so it's entirely feasible that he's got family there that he's looking after. Also, don't forget that there's more than wife and kids. There's parents, siblings, friends, etc.

Z Sniper
Feb 9th, 2011, 06:33 PM
I remember this being brought up in a topic somewhere but I couldn't find it or the answer to it anywhere so I figured I'd just break it out into it's own thing here.

in 17-2 Fernando and Victor speak to each other in Spanish. It also seems to be a pretty sizable amount of dialogue that could contain some vital information about the Colony. And of course being a proud American citizen, I only speak English!!! (...ok well, a little French too because that's the language I studied in high school and college...:p). So I'm woefully ill equipped to translate what they said to each other before the wave attacked them.

Did anyone/can anyone translate what they said?

I recall Victor telling Fernando to go outside and point his weapon at Michael. Victor then comes out and says he'll take over from here. Victor also asks Fernando if he's heard anything from Marcus yet to which Fernando replies "no". Fernando asks if they should take the group in,....Victor replies by saying that they should let this group go and that Marcus doesn't need to know about this. I posted a thread on "theories" about Victor and who he could possibly be,...what are his motives?

nikvoodoo
Feb 9th, 2011, 06:35 PM
Kelly did notice. "Looks like you were married before. Is your wife here, too?"

Victor: "No."

"Got any kids?"

He never replied to that, so it's entirely feasible that he's got family there that he's looking after. Also, don't forget that there's more than wife and kids. There's parents, siblings, friends, etc.

Good catch. Thanks for correcting me

RamblinMike
Feb 10th, 2011, 05:40 AM
No problem. I also noticed the tone in which he said, "No". Like there was more to it than just a straightforward negative. In the regular non-zombified world, I'd take it to mean either that they're estranged or she died recently, but in the zombie world - and especially in The Colony - I dunno.

nikvoodoo
Feb 10th, 2011, 10:58 AM
Now that I've relistened to it and know it exists as opposed to before...It sounds like his wife is indeed dead, but its a raw wound that hasn't had time to heal. Sort of like how Lizzy was right after she arrived at the Tower. But it's not the same level of relationship as a marriage. Her relationship with biker dude was lashing out at Daddy dearest. She obviously dealt with it just fine when she got herself reattached to Saul...she needs a shrink for herself to figure out her Father Figure issues.

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Feb 11th, 2011, 05:29 AM
For someone who just lost a family member, Kelly SHOULD have known better. If Victor was married or had kids, they were killed prior to the Colony. Remember, he says "I" got here later.

JediAvenger
Mar 3rd, 2011, 02:30 PM
That's pretty racist.

I don't think Marcus really has anything on him. Victor just realizes that however bad the colony is, it's way better than being alone during the zombie apocalypse.