PDA

View Full Version : Chapter 48 - WARNING SPOILERS FROM THE FINALE!

Pages : [1] 2

Kc
Jul 18th, 2014, 07:34 PM
Here's the thread. You were warned!

It's all a musical dream.

YetAnotherBloodyCheek
Jul 19th, 2014, 01:22 AM
Oh, I see. I wish you good luck and a great evening.

So we will get our musical in the end. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kd5lMDkvzvI

Gooer
Jul 19th, 2014, 06:52 AM
Here's the thread. You were warned!

It's all a musical dream.

Chapter 48 musical confirmed.

Meeks
Jul 19th, 2014, 12:36 PM
Hopefully some of the lovely folk who went would fill me in afterwards. There may or may not be cookies involved...as bribes.

pmchawk
Jul 19th, 2014, 02:39 PM
Could a thread be started with the title. I'm really wanting to know that before hand atleast. ;-)

Witch_Doctor
Jul 20th, 2014, 12:33 AM
Hopefully some of the lovely folk who went would fill me in afterwards. There may or may not be cookies involved...as bribes.

Believe me, it will be worth waiting to listen to it as intended. Fillng you in will take away fom the experience. The cast does a much better job.

LiamKerrington
Jul 20th, 2014, 02:41 AM
Patience is a virtue.
But i don't live a virtuos life.

And I REALLY, REALLY hope that you folks, in LA at the life event had a very good time!

Best wishes!
Liam

raymoney
Jul 20th, 2014, 02:47 AM
It was a blast!!! I cant wait for future projects.

Merlin1274
Jul 20th, 2014, 05:54 AM
I wish I could have been there.. I can not wait for the early access. More than happy to pony up $5.00..

smalls kenobi
Jul 20th, 2014, 07:06 AM
what an ending! did not expect it to go the way it did. i am very glad to be able to have made it to the Live Event, had the best night last night 3199

Gooer
Jul 20th, 2014, 08:17 AM
God damn i wanna know what happened....

Witch_Doctor
Jul 20th, 2014, 09:05 AM
I loved it. can't wait to purchace the early release. The cast members werr sitting on the stage during the final episode. I was worried that someone would subtlety tip off what would happen in the next scenes, but they were pros. They waited until after each scene before they expressed any emotion so asto not give anything away.

LiamKerrington
Jul 20th, 2014, 09:54 AM
I loved it. can't wait to purchace the early release. The cast members werr sitting on the stage during the final episode. I was worried that someone would subtlety tip off what would happen in the next scenes, but they were pros. They waited until after each scene before they expressed any emotion so asto not give anything away.

That's cool. And I wouldn't have expected anything else.

YetAnotherBloodyCheek
Jul 20th, 2014, 10:49 AM

Damn, drifting into the We're Alive cold turkey phase of my life comes just too soon... :(

Verse
Jul 20th, 2014, 02:26 PM
I want to be spoiler as well. Having to wait a couple days is killing me.

Meeks
Jul 20th, 2014, 02:59 PM
Sadface that the early release starts when I'm already at work :(

turbo
Jul 20th, 2014, 03:27 PM
I was told none of them had listened to it yet.

Pikepaw
Jul 20th, 2014, 06:21 PM
Well what I really loved was *CENSORED* and then on the stairs *CENSORED* while Michael *CENSORED* radio calls went *CENSORED* promises of Mexican food *CENSORED* and it was really fitting when *CENSORED*

Every major question has now been answered. A few little ones remain, like if Durai had ever been in love or if Angel's father was still alive at the beginning of the series.

smorg
Jul 20th, 2014, 06:27 PM
Isn't it close enough to tomorrow?! Post the early release in the store and let me throw my money at yo face!!!!

smalls kenobi
Jul 20th, 2014, 09:22 PM
Alright, this thread has a spoiler warning. So if you clicked on this thread spoilers are not N issue.

So here it goes, I'll break the ice.

I loved the direction it went and like I said earlier, did not expect it to go the way it did but I loved it. My row was crying when Saul died. And even Harder when Michael was telling Tanya that he passed. Glad he killed Ink though, although Ink's death was a bit... quick for the build up. Then the reveal that 14 years has past and the whole thing was Michael and Pegs Retelling everything that happened to Nicholas. That was awesome. And that they've built this amazing society and everything else is awesome. It sounds like the next show will be following Nick and his adventures. Or at least I hope so.

Scratch got what was coming to her. Good job Burt.

But Skittles is still a loose end that needs to be tied. I'm guessing that will come up in the Stories From We're Alive Episodes.

smorg
Jul 20th, 2014, 09:34 PM
What was the new kind ink was working on?

smalls kenobi
Jul 20th, 2014, 09:44 PM
Hmm, unknown. And I don't think it maters anymore. The tunnels were blown up. And Ink and his chronies are no more.

Witch_Doctor
Jul 20th, 2014, 09:50 PM
What was the new kind ink was working on?

Good question. Not sure if I missed it or not. Guess I will have to re
listen to the early release too.

smalls kenobi
Jul 20th, 2014, 09:56 PM
Good question. Not sure if I missed it or not. Guess I will have to re
listen to the early release too.

....could they be the mother one that was walking with the older looking little one, or vice versa?

Witch_Doctor
Jul 20th, 2014, 09:57 PM
Patience is a virtue.
But i don't live a virtuos life.

And I REALLY, REALLY hope that you folks, in LA at the life event had a very good time!

Best wishes!
Liam
My buddy. I can't begin to express how great a time I had. But if you can avoid reading any of the spoilers, by all means do so. The story lives within the performances .

smorg
Jul 20th, 2014, 10:10 PM
did the chapter have a name?

smalls kenobi
Jul 20th, 2014, 10:12 PM
i think it was 'Running out of Ink' or 'Last of the Ink'. something like that.

Pikepaw
Jul 20th, 2014, 10:29 PM
The Ink Runs out

smalls kenobi
Jul 20th, 2014, 10:32 PM
The Ink Runs out

THAT ONE! lol

Merlin1274
Jul 21st, 2014, 10:03 AM
WOW,WOW,WOW. Spoilers Don't read if you don't want to know..

I still have more to listen too. But Boss told me to turn it off. Damnit.. I am at the part where Michael says that was 14yrs ago and my mouth dropped..
Pegs did shoot her but did not kill her so I got a partial there..

Man I can not wait to see what comes next..

Now I have to admit. I did not finish cause I had to pause twice. Once after the boom for a short Remembrance for Saul and once again when Michael told Tanya.. Man that was super tough..
Will post more later when I get the time.

Kc
Jul 21st, 2014, 10:16 AM
did the chapter have a name?

Chapter 48 - The Ink Runs Dry.

Merlin1274
Jul 21st, 2014, 10:25 AM
I grinned Ear to Ear when I heard that Title..

Alizée
Jul 21st, 2014, 11:05 AM
Thank you so much to Kc and everyone else who made this possible! I just finished and it was the perfect ending. I didn't see it coming at all. I expected a much more gruesome conclusion so this was just so freaking pleasing. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!
I'm sad to see such a beautiful thing end but I'm glad we still have Tales from We're Alive to look forward to. :D
You all are so great. Just...gah...get over here. <3

HardKor
Jul 21st, 2014, 11:07 AM
Well. I'll have more to say later after I digest this awesome wrap-up to an awesome show.
But for now, all I have to say is:

Do. NOT. FUCK. with. BURT!!!!

Thanks for the nightmares KC!

LiamKerrington
Jul 21st, 2014, 11:08 AM
Chapter 48 - The Ink Runs Dry.

Best title evARRRRRR!

Verse
Jul 21st, 2014, 11:09 AM
SPOILERS!!!!!!!!

SPOILERS!!!!!!!!

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!!!!!!

This is rapid fire. Loved it. The ending worked for me. I was shocked that Saul died. I was 100% sure that Saul would live. Missed that one. Sad not to see Tanya there. Made since though. I loved how Hope being blind saved the day. That was cool. Like how they are getting people from all over USA. Including Texas. I wondered why Pegs wasn't with child. That was a personal theory of mine. Didn't broadcast that one due to it not having much to do with the story (at least I didn't think it would), but I thought she was unable. Robins haven a child is cool as hell.

All in All a damn good show. Damn good ending. Damn good wrap up.

HardKor
Jul 21st, 2014, 12:14 PM
Ahead there be SPOILERS!!!

Seriously SPOILERS AHEAD!!!!!

OK, don't say I didn't warn you about the SPOILERS!!!

Alright I think I've gathered my thoughts enough to post them in a somewhat coherent manner.

First of all. I was struck by how quick the climax of the story came. It was like boom, boom, boom, and everything fell into place. And most importantly: It didn't feel rushed. Everything happened quick, but it also felt natural. And I have to give kudos to the writing for making that happen.

1. The End of Ink:

We saw Ink at his strongest and his weakest. His intelligence in getting the zombies to follow him (and his paranoia that led to the discovery of the symbol) gave him his power (and he was apparently a pretty damn strong bastard too!) but, in the end, he just couldn't quite comprehend enough to see his own doom coming from Saul's immunity.

Loosing Saul was a gut-punch in a season full of gut punches. I have to say, I know a lot of people saw it coming, and I guess I saw the writing of the wall as well, but just never believed it. I was fixated on Michael being the one to have to set off the explosives manually and I just never let myself believe that it would be Saul making the sacrifice. But it makes sense, and it always made sense. And if Saul had to go out, it was good to see he went out as a hero.

2. Scratch gets it, finally!

The final showdown with Scratch was great: lots of tension, plenty of uncertainty as to the outcome. I kept thinking Hope was gonna end up being the one to take Scratch out. (I jumped when I heard her in the background finding the second gun.) But, in the end it had to be Pegs that took Scratch down. And Burt finishing things with Scratch felt right too. Pegs could never have finished Scratch off like that and Riley would have been mentally and spiritually wrecked if she had done the deed. Burt’s never been a nice guy, he’s got just the right touch of ruthlessness to do it. But damn that was brutal! I’ll say it again. Do. NOT. FUCK. with. BURT!

3. The Next Generation

The time skip for the second half caught me a bit by surprise, but after everything in the "present" was wrapped up it only made sense to continue on into the future. See the torch passed to the next generation of survivors. And it's nice to know that the next generation is apparently strong and plentiful. We've got a nice thriving society that has spread beyond the walls of just the Colony and is starting to build a new nation of survivors. And apparently there are others out there too (some friendly, some not so much...)
It feels like there is so much more story out there in this world. And whether those stories actually get told or not, it's nice to know that the adventure will continue.

And on a side note: How great was Puck as drill instructor? Pretty much everything great about that character was summed up in that scene!

And last but not least the music at the end was amazing! The We’re Alive Full theme is one track I will be listening to over and over again.

It’s been a hell of a ride but a damn good one! I have no idea what I’m gonna do on Mondays without We’re Alive to look forward to. Thanks to all the cast and crew and everyone else involved with this amazing story! I’ll be looking forward to whatever comes next.

EDIT: I was going to bring up something else but I couldn't remember what it was. Ink's final creation. We never got to see what it was, but it's probably better that way. The less we know, the more we can build it up in our minds.

Kc
Jul 21st, 2014, 12:26 PM

We'll release the other finale artwork later, but this is my favorite. This is from the Epilogue.

UndeadSweeper
Jul 21st, 2014, 12:26 PM
Hi everyone, sorry but there something wrong with my eyes. Darn it, same thing happen during the soldiers eps in the prison. I like the ending. Vic "Told you I won't let's anything near again.'

LiamKerrington
Jul 21st, 2014, 12:38 PM
This is, what I wrote Kc about an hour ago; and he asked me to share it with you. And who am I to neglect such a request and to exclude the most awesome fandom (which is the WA fandom!!!) in the world?

Warning: SPOILERAGE!

Hello Kc,

now, after having heard the 71 minutes of the last chapter of We're Alive, I would like to share a few thoughts with you. No worries: It will be brief.

When I started listening to We're Alive, I never had an idea, what to expect, and how the show would evolve. But as you may have noticed: I got one of the many fans, of which some are really awesome. And I am very happy to be part of this circle; only very few other things make me proud.

Today I listened to #48 of your show. And like most others I had certain expectations, although I limited them during the last chapters, because the show spun towards its ending. And it was a delight to see how the story closed in for the finale - well, two finales actually.

You know that I belong to the very few WA fans, who had and still have some trouble with Saul as a figure and as a character. But when I listened to #48, I really felt sorry for his fate, but also proud to having got to know him. What an ending - a tragic hero, but his spirit carries on in the heart and the beliefs of the other survivors. And what would WA have been without what he did? A completely different story, I guess. :p

And then the other finale between Scratch, Pegs, Burt, and Riley. Awe-some! Not sure, how to comment on it any more. I am very happy to hear how this particular story has been finished. And it was so much different from almost any theory all WA fans had shared so far. And I guess you did an amazing job telling the story that way. Really great.

But there are two other things I enjoy a lot more about We're Alive and #48:

1) It was really unexpected to experience a season finale, which as roughly 30 minutes of calm, peace, and "unagitated" narration. Sure, many WA fans expected something like this - but much shorter, I guess. Narrators telling the story and concluding it with kind of an open ending; but I assume that none really expected such a "long" and especially intrigueing ending.

2) Most zombie-stories I have read, watched or listened to so far have a very dramatic, dark, dystopian, nihilistic, negative ending with very bad prospects for the humans or survivors. The first story making a huge different so far was "World War Z" (book, audio-book, even the movie) for me. I did not expect this to happen with WA, because anytime our beloved heroes and heroines met other survivors, shit hit the fan 24/7 - in small scales like the conflicts between the different survivor groups or in huge scales like what happened with Boulder and Irwin. And there was no other obvious hint available giving us positive prospects. Now that the WA story has finished 14 years after the events from #1 through #48 (first half) I am very happy that humans are not meant to go extinct, because the zombocalypse was so damn overwhelming. It still is and it remains a threat, but the humans have started to adapt to the situation. And Nicholas (a powerful name, which means "victory of the people" (or something like that)) has a special future ahead, I think - a story of more survival I guess ... *g*

Anyway!
I just wanted to thank you for what you have done and achieved. And I really look forward what's going to be on the plate in the future. But I guess it is just fair to ask for one more little thing: Get the rest and vacation you really deserved.

Best wishes to you, your crew, your cast, and anyone else being involved but being not part of one of the aforementioned groups. And sorry for my Germenglish ...

Best wishes!
Liam
aka
Clem Carlos Schermann

P.S.: And thank you for having allowed Mr Whiskers to reappear again ...

UndeadSweeper
Jul 21st, 2014, 12:39 PM
But Skittles is still a loose end that needs to be tied. I'm guessing that will come up in the Stories From We're Alive Episodes.

Come on, Skittles is probably the Green Beret of the company.

What we really need to find out is what happen to Lady and Mrs. Moo? Did Vic get to make his meal? Did Pete get kick out of his shop? And where's DOG?

LiamKerrington
Jul 21st, 2014, 12:41 PM
Also as a side-note:

Many of us enjoyed Kc's writing and storytelling which connects elements from the past, making each one a blast from the past. And this happened so many times, especially in the last parts of #48 ...

Mr Whiskers, "out-fucking-standing", the evolution of the Mata-Gun are the ones that made me grin from ear to ear.
And all in all I really enjoyed the (for me) totally unexpected evolution and revolution of the stories being told ...

Best wishes!
Liam

turbo
Jul 21st, 2014, 12:43 PM
Spoiler:

If I heard correct, the college teacher, from episode 1, survived it all! Wonder where he hid?

molson
Jul 21st, 2014, 12:57 PM
I don't have a ton of analysis at the moment, just wanted to say that I'm really glad I was able to get to the finale Saturday. It was great to meet some of the cast and forum posters, and the finale episode itself was incredibly satisfying. Nothing too cute, no weird departures from what made this series great, it was just a terrific send-off to this whole experience. Congratulations to KC and the cast and crew for pulling all of this off, and the incredible growth in interest and downloads you've seen along the way. Your openness and participation in the whole scene here has really helped the momentum I think. I can't wait to support Tales from We're Alive and whatever else you come up with.

Verse
Jul 21st, 2014, 12:59 PM
My only issue with the whole finale is the New Little One. There was a lot of build up for that. Starting from before the Soldiers even died. Tanya going "He is starting over", to Saul saying he heard it. It was a big build up. Then to not even have a clue. Granted, if Ink started right after the first batch the new one would be really small, but we got nothing. If it was a "I think I heard something new" and Tanya go "Makes sense. He keeps trying to make them better" then they go down there.. ok.. cool. This was a plot hook that started pretty early and touched on a few times. Figured we would get something.

molson
Jul 21st, 2014, 01:00 PM
Best title evARRRRRR!

I loved the audible murmur of excitement in the audience Saturday just when the title was read. I'm glad they it a secret until then (or maybe I just didn't hear about if it was announced).

God
Jul 21st, 2014, 01:01 PM
Spoiler:

If I heard correct, the college teacher, from episode 1, survived it all! Wonder where he hid?

Oh the good old college teacher lol. I think it was thrown in as a bit of an inside joke. I don't remember where i heard it but the teacher in chapter 1 is played by KC, and he also played the guy in fort erwin who was bossing around Reily and telling her to clean the kitchen so they can all go home. The kitchen guy screwed up Reily's last name. And when those 2 chareters spawn a baby, they make the teacher at the end who still screws up Reily's last name!
Pretty funny

Maybe the baby of nurse Britt and the kitchen guy. Nurse Britt lives!!

Gooer
Jul 21st, 2014, 01:02 PM
Oooh, i like the title!

Prepare for spam.

Gooer
Jul 21st, 2014, 01:26 PM
Hmmmmm, hopefully this backdoor works....... Goodluck Dunbar!

Feel like the drugged up Puck will be shot......

Gooer
Jul 21st, 2014, 01:33 PM
Hmmm. Saul going solo to reconnect the wires? Sounds like suicide. Think it'll be a showdown between him and Ink.....

Ooh, they're going to talk to Pegs? That's fancy.... I don't want her to die...... Oh fuck sake, she's going to pussy out at this stage.....

Oh what the fuck, she wanted the baby? Man she is bat shit crazy......
Heh, gas that fucking crazy bitch. Wish Riley and Burt would hurry.....

Not sure if i should be doing this, would people complain....?

Gooer
Jul 21st, 2014, 01:39 PM
Hmmm..... a living little ones mother......?

Man, Saul can move with that katana. Go Saul!! Now just don't die.

No no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no...... Please, no........ Saul can't turn...... Please.....

YES SAUL, FINISH THE FUCKER!!!!!!!

Gooer
Jul 21st, 2014, 01:47 PM
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooo

Don't wanna listen anymore. But i do. *floods of tears come*

Oh no. Not fucking Randy. Don't kill Michael too.

OH VICTOR/OTTO YOU LUSCIOUS BEAUTY, I LOVE YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EatMyShorts
Jul 21st, 2014, 01:50 PM
Great finale. Quick and decisive (not overly dramatic) with the action scenes. Well done! I like endings that take a few unexpected turns.

Just one question that someone might know: When Saul radioed that Michael was right (just before he died) what was he talking about?

megamanxzero35
Jul 21st, 2014, 01:53 PM
When the time jump happened, I laughed and thought of How I Met Your Mother.

Great Finale. Loved everything. Great job KC.

LiamKerrington
Jul 21st, 2014, 01:56 PM
Final note for now:

"We're Alive" is not "A Story of Survival".

"We're Alive" is "A Story of Hope".

Good night.

Gooer
Jul 21st, 2014, 01:58 PM
YES, GET GASSED YOU FUCKING BITCH.

Oh shit, Pegs got hit. And she's gassed. Lol........

Nooooo....... Run Pegs. RUN.

Oh come on, of course the ladder has to be stuck. And she runs out of Ammo. Good thing Hope has the spare gun...... Is she going to......?

Oh. Oh? Oh?????? YES SHE GOT HIT. GOOD RIDDANCE SCRATCH!!!!!

Well, my theory is out the window.

Hahahahaha, i'm going to enjoy this scene. Oh wow, Scratch is playing with her. She's so sick...... Oh wow, Burt knocked her out ahahahahhaaaa. What happens next?

Hmmm, peaceful music. This is definitely going to turn bad......

Oh no, Michael has to break the news...... ugh my tears, can't hold them back.....

God
Jul 21st, 2014, 01:58 PM
Just one question that someone might know: When Saul radioed that Michael was right (just before he died) what was he talking about?

I think KC may have left that small open end for the next series. They'll go through Tanya's journals and test her theory that nobody else payed much attention to and also whatever Saul found right before he died.

Perfect ending. It had everything i wanted. Enough was in it to have closure yet left just enough open to continue the story. Brilliant. Can't wait to see what comes next.

LiamKerrington
Jul 21st, 2014, 02:15 PM

Love it ...

Gooer
Jul 21st, 2014, 02:15 PM
Surprised Tanya is so calm.

Hmm, the Scratch capture scene? Hahahahahaa, great! Did they really bury her alive under the old tower? Wow, amazing. Burt finally gets in revenge.

Oh look, its Mr Whiskers. And he got skinny.......? Last time he was fat. Where did all the mice and rats go?

LiamKerrington
Jul 21st, 2014, 02:17 PM
Last time he was fat. Where did all the mice and rats go?

Skittles ate them ... All of them ...

HardKor
Jul 21st, 2014, 02:27 PM
Also as a side-note:

Many of us enjoyed Kc's writing and storytelling which connects elements from the past, making each one a blast from the past. And this happened so many times, especially in the last parts of #48 ...

Mr Whiskers, "out-fucking-standing", the evolution of the Mata-Gun are the ones that made me grin from ear to ear.
And all in all I really enjoyed the (for me) totally unexpected evolution and revolution of the stories being told ...

Best wishes!
Liam

There were so many great callbacks and inside jokes in the second half of this episode. The teacher, the MG14s, Mr. Whiskers, and Pete's sales pitch over the loud speaker which made me burst out laughing.

The only thing missing was Nurse Britt in the background saying something about surviving Irwin in a fridge stocked with hot wings.

Gooer
Jul 21st, 2014, 02:28 PM
14 YEARS? HOLY FUCKING SHIT. Well the theory of telling Nick about who his parents were was correct. Who thought of it......? I wanna say Grog did.....

Wait, two of you? Who's the 2nd.... WHAT? NO! TANYAS DEAD TOO? GIVE ME A BREAK KC!!!!!!
Schoolbooks?

Poor Tanya...... Feel sorry for the pain she faced.

Nooooo, Pegs cant have children? That's not fair. Oh look, Mr Whiskers again. And the way Nick said it was a reference to Pegs.....

Wait, the teacher from chapter 1 survived? Lol
Haha, Pete has a PA for his store.......

Wish Victor was MY uncle.....

Yaay Hope is a doctor. Haha, Puck is hilarious with his tough love.

WAIT, ROBBINS HAD A KID? NO FUCKING WAY.

Burt and his movies, a undying tradition......
WHAT THE, WHO IS EVERYONE HAVING CHILDREN WITH??!?!?!?!?!! THERE'S SO MANY!!!!!!

10,000 people, with several mini colonies? Fuck, where did they all come from?

Gooer
Jul 21st, 2014, 02:29 PM
Wow, what an ending.

That was amazing. Seriously, Kc, you've done such an amazing job. I don't really know what to say........

I'm actually crying a little.

Gooer
Jul 21st, 2014, 02:39 PM
Well, i cannot speak for all you people, but I, for one, am VERY pleased with how it ended.

It sucks Saul had to do what he did, but if not for that sacrifice, none of them could live as they did. And the way that the guys dealt with Scratch, was probably a new one of my favourite parts of We're Alive. Burt gets his much needed revenge and Scratch gets payment for all the bad shit she caused to our group.

And then the "14 years later"? I never saw that coming, and i'm glad we get to see how their lives have turned out.

Once again, Kc, you have done an amazing job. You (and the guys behind creating the series) deserve so much recognition for what you've made, and i hope you get it. Seeing this as a tv series would be fantastic.

Ok, my spam has ended.

beans
Jul 21st, 2014, 02:44 PM
what a great way to conclude a series!...the pressing ends are taken care of, well, one's in a box under concrete but we get the jist...and we are left with some afterthoughts to feast on like: the origin of the gas, are there other survivors/colonies, and what would the world look like years after pretty much surviving the outbreak and rebuilding society.

could we get some sort of hi-res image of the new flag? in an avatar and/or desktop/mobile wallpaper format? that'd be sweet!

Kc
Jul 21st, 2014, 02:50 PM
My only issue with the whole finale is the New Little One. There was a lot of build up for that. Starting from before the Soldiers even died. Tanya going "He is starting over", to Saul saying he heard it. It was a big build up. Then to not even have a clue. Granted, if Ink started right after the first batch the new one would be really small, but we got nothing. If it was a "I think I heard something new" and Tanya go "Makes sense. He keeps trying to make them better" then they go down there.. ok.. cool. This was a plot hook that started pretty early and touched on a few times. Figured we would get something.

That's a very good point, and also very intentional... that's all I can say.

Merlin1274
Jul 21st, 2014, 02:56 PM
Finished the last bit on the Drive home.. KC's Masterpiece.. Yes I stole that from the BBQ Sauce..
KC you sir deserve every bit of praise you can get!!..
I absolutely loved the time warp and how that all played out.. The Next Series should be We're Alive:The Adventures of Nick Tink!! Maybe by then it will be a Movie or TV Series..
I was hating that this was coming to an end, but man I sure loved it, the ride to it, and all the back and forth here in these forums.. I look forward to future work..

beans
Jul 21st, 2014, 03:07 PM
...forgot to add that I'm pretty upset that Mr. Whiskers got a cameo but Dog gets left out?! what is this post-apocalyptic world coming to??? :D :kitty

Kc
Jul 21st, 2014, 03:14 PM
...forgot to add that I'm pretty upset that Mr. Whiskers got a cameo but Dog gets left out?! what is this post-apocalyptic world coming to??? :D :kitty

Sadly, I was waiting to answer this during the Q & A next week, (WHICH BTW, I'll answer your lingering questions then), but Lady was already about 5 or 6 when the story took place. So... yeah... That would be 20 years... you can see where I'm going.

Mr. Whiskers was 1. He's SUPER old, but still kicking.

Gooer
Jul 21st, 2014, 03:18 PM
Sadly, I was waiting to answer this during the Q & A next week, (WHICH BTW, I'll answer your lingering questions then), but Lady was already about 5 or 6 when the story took place. So... yeah... That would be 20 years... you can see where I'm going.

Mr. Whiskers was 1. He's SUPER old, but still kicking.

Damnit Kc, season four is just death, death and more death......

Gooer
Jul 21st, 2014, 03:20 PM
Imagine if the shot that Michael took at Randy that missed went into Victor. Made me giggle..... for some dark, morbid reason.....

Verse
Jul 21st, 2014, 04:34 PM
That's a very good point, and also very intentional... that's all I can say.

If that is the case then I am very excited.

UndeadSweeper
Jul 21st, 2014, 04:43 PM
All I have to said is CJ is still alive and well. :) I know two people on forum who will not be happy. And is she a four star general now with a daughter?

UndeadSweeper
Jul 21st, 2014, 04:46 PM
Imagine if the shot that Michael took at Randy that missed went into Victor. Made me giggle..... for some dark, morbid reason.....

That not funny, Vic can't die.

Osiris
Jul 21st, 2014, 04:48 PM
Well shit the bed. I was right.

smalls kenobi
Jul 21st, 2014, 04:52 PM

We'll release the other finale artwork later, but this is my favorite. This is from the Epilogue.

that was the best

Witch_Doctor
Jul 21st, 2014, 05:00 PM
Going through the old chapters and editing my predictions so I would have been right all along.

Osiris
Jul 21st, 2014, 05:06 PM
Going through the old chapters and editing my predictions so I would have been right all along.

No use now. All but one of mine turned out to be totally wrong. Hell of an ending though.

billions
Jul 21st, 2014, 05:09 PM
Congratulations KC and crew and thank you for your efforts. When is the TV series coming out? :)

werewolf
Jul 21st, 2014, 05:50 PM
AWESOME loved every minute, wasn't sure on how you were going to end it. but hellAWESOME

UndeadSweeper
Jul 21st, 2014, 05:59 PM

Come on, you and me pick the right horse for this race. IF wasn't for Vic and CJ, no one would have survive.

Sword? CJ
Camera? CJ
Weapons everywhere? CJ
Basement? CJ
Micheal still alive? Vic
Good Mexican food in the Colony? Vic
Good looks? Vic

Gnex
Jul 21st, 2014, 06:04 PM
All I have to said is CJ is still alive and well. :) I know two people on forum who will not be happy. And is she a four star general now with a daughter?

I am boiling right now...... Not only did the 1 legged bandit manage to ruin almost everything she touched, she also made it to the end, and she is like president or head of the military or something..... And then further more she is raising kids to complete the cycle and be just like her!!!! Where is the justice in this cruel world!!!!:mad:

Duffusmonkey
Jul 21st, 2014, 06:18 PM
...Wait, the teacher from chapter 1 survived? Lol
Damn you now I will have to go back and compare the voice..

...WAIT, ROBBINS HAD A KID? NO FUCKING WAY.
CJ did the Nasty with Robbins, and then she had a kid with someone else, I am starting to suspect that she worked at a massage parlor before Z day

...10,000 people, with several mini colonies? Fuck, where did they all come from? This is the weakest connection to any of my theories coming true, since it had to be the worst in LA there had to be more survivors elsewhere.

zombie Danny
Jul 21st, 2014, 07:02 PM
I love it. thank you to everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Duffusmonkey
Jul 21st, 2014, 07:08 PM
If you listen to Michael telling the tale to Nicholas you can hear what I assume is Michael having a flashback to Saul's death, Right before Saul sets off the bomb he says "Michael you were right, you were right"

UndeadSweeper
Jul 21st, 2014, 07:28 PM
I am boiling right now...... Not only did the 1 legged bandit manage to ruin almost everything she touched, she also made it to the end, and she is like president or head of the military or something..... And then further more she is raising kids to complete the cycle and be just like her!!!! Where is the justice in this cruel world!!!!:mad:

Your tears makes this popcorn taste so much better. :)
Gnex But seriously, I"m going to miss all our discussion about CJ and such, now that it's over. :-(

qreepii
Jul 21st, 2014, 07:54 PM
Spoiler:

I was thinking the exact same thing..... nice to hear KC as a part of this masterpiece, both to start, and to close.

fredrum
Jul 21st, 2014, 08:01 PM
I've been sitting here at my computer for the better part of an hour just trying to think of what to say here. To be perfectly honest, Season four wasn't necessarily my favorite. It definitely felt......different. Maybe it was just knowing that the series would soon be coming to an end and that the story that I've been following for the better part of five years would soon be over, and that I would soon be saying goodbye to characters that had been a part of my life for quite some time. I wasn't sure what to expect out of the finale, but I'm happy to say that I'm satisfied. It did feel a bit rushed after four seasons worth of build up to have all of the major conflicts wrapped up a half hour into the series finale, but the time jump was a really effective way to get closure on all of the characters I've spent so long getting to know, and it's the perfect jumping off point for further exploration in the world of We're Alive.

After all is said and done, it wasn't perfect, but it was well written, well produced, and damned entertaining, which is more than can be said for most of the garbage that passes for entertainment these days. To KC and all the cast and crew of We're Alive I really only have one thing to say: Thank you. It's obvious that you put a huge amount of work into this, and it really is appreciated.

qreepii
Jul 21st, 2014, 08:20 PM
I too have been sitting here in dark silence, seeing as the episode has ended, I rushed home to listen to the episode as soon as I was off work, it's getting dark outside and none of the lights in the house are on, just this computer monitor and time remaining sitting at 0:00....

KC, like many of the posters here I was worried and nervous that the finale would be a bloodbath. I don't know why we all came to this conclusion, since generally throughout the series, with the exception of the soldiers/jail chapter (which did make me cry, even on re-listening), losing Angel, the flashback to Randy's first death, and Tommy, the series has had death throughout but mostly ancillary characters we weren't really attached to. Or we're okay losing, Lizzy was a surprise but balanced because we were preparing to lose Datu. Possibly Samantha, but only because we felt more for Datu's pain than Samantha's death. I want to thank you for protecting our beloved band of survivors and telling us it turned out alright. The sacrifices that were made, weren't forgotten.

I have always been a big fan of original unpredictable content, and Sir (Respect, Not Rank) you have delivered, time in and time out. Every chapter and every episode has captivated us.

Many people are asking for We're Alive's future to come to us in additional mediums, such as television, movies, etc...

I however believe that this adventure has proven that the Audio Drama format has place in media today, and an extremely powerful one. I have always been a big fan of Audiobooks and Radio Plays. I just don't think this story could have been told as it was had it been developed in today's modern media marketplace. KC has had complete control of the development since the beginning and I truly believe we have benefited from it every Monday for a long time. Hollywood, New York and all the other big names in today's media couldn't have let this be what it was. They would have changed it, added here, taken there, 'MORE explosions', 'MORE scandal', 'lets make it a reality show', etc....

My second to last final note here, as an OIF/OEF Veteran this series has touched many of us in the way it was told and how the characters feel so familiar. The three soldiers sprinting for that Hummer so long ago, had so very far to go, and you let us tag along and theorycraft all their possible futures.

KC I thank you, for one of the greatest stories of our generation.

qreepii
Jul 21st, 2014, 09:24 PM
One other thing, When are we going to get a victory speech from the man who has worked so hard, for so long, for so little, for all of us? You know what, never mind. Take a rest KC, you deserve it, and so does your cast and crew. We'll be here when you come back.

Khalidak
Jul 21st, 2014, 10:05 PM
Well I spent the $5 (well 20$ got a shirt as well) on Chapter 48 and I would like to say it was very good. I had a some thoughts on two things that kinda of struck me as off.
1. Ink got cut down a little two easy, but on reflection I can see were he would be so full of himself and his position in his home that he would be more curious about Saul not turning.
2. I did not like Burt going that far with Scratch and still in the end be okay and in the colony.

All in all this is the best podcast out there and thank you for KC and everyone working on this show. They did an awesome job on it. I am intrigued with what to come next and how it will grow from here.

awkwardalex
Jul 21st, 2014, 10:15 PM
With one episode remaining before the finale, it's time for final predictions as to how the series ends, and my only prediction is:

Scratch is still alive when the credits roll.

*edit*

I will wager my super-moderator status, and accept a lifetime ban on Scratch being very much alive the last time we see (hear) her. And it won't be a dying breath cop out either.

*cough*

Fawkes
Jul 21st, 2014, 10:35 PM
Just a thought on some of Saul's final words to Michael over the radio.

"Michael! You were right, you were right!"

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't remember Michael, Saul, or Vic getting close enough to a zombie (since putting on the armbands) for it to actually see and react to the symbol. I'm under the impression that the horde that Ink called to him and Saul was arriving when Saul said this over the radio. I pictured the scene as the horde arriving, but upon seeing the symbol, stop their approach. Saul then attempts to let Michael know before detonating the explosives.

And of course, many thanks to KC and the crew for making Mondays the best day of the week! Truly an amazing series! :)

- Fawkes

Osiris
Jul 21st, 2014, 10:51 PM
*cough*

You've got me over a barrel there, Alex (you asshole). She was most assuredly not still alive when the credits played. HOWEVER. If you read the edit, which was made long before the episode was released... The last time we hear her she IS live and well. Tough call. I'll leave it up to a vote. Someone start a poll. Banish me. Just remember, I loved you all.

LiamKerrington
Jul 21st, 2014, 11:30 PM
You've got me over a barrel there, Alex (you asshole). She was most assuredly not still alive when the credits played. HOWEVER. If you read the edit, which was made long before the episode was released... The last time we hear her she IS live and well. Tough call. I'll leave it up to a vote. Someone start a poll. Banish me. Just remember, I loved you all.

No need to call for a poll, 'cause there is no need to ban you. If someone seriously cares abouth questions like this, he/ she/ it may consider leaving this place instead.

We share very different opinions about We're Alive; but as I see it you are one of the very pillars of this community - no matter, how hard you try to polarize ... And there is a reason, why someone decided to make you admin or super-admin or whatever you call your position ...

Best wishes!
Liam

awkwardalex
Jul 21st, 2014, 11:41 PM

Oh don't give me that I've been busy all season and not here, but I still LOVE to give you hell. You can always stay. Who else will argue that she killed Angel with kindness?

Kc
Jul 21st, 2014, 11:59 PM
Just a thought on some of Saul's final words to Michael over the radio.

"Michael! You were right, you were right!"

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't remember Michael, Saul, or Vic getting close enough to a zombie (since putting on the armbands) for it to actually see and react to the symbol. I'm under the impression that the horde that Ink called to him and Saul was arriving when Saul said this over the radio. I pictured the scene as the horde arriving, but upon seeing the symbol, stop their approach. Saul then attempts to let Michael know before detonating the explosives.

And of course, many thanks to KC and the crew for making Mondays the best day of the week! Truly an amazing series! :)

- Fawkes

That wasn't what Michael was right about-

clem131
Jul 22nd, 2014, 01:05 AM
I don't know what to add to the discussion. I definitely didn't expect Saul to die, I was picturing a scenario in which Michael gets to the C4 and remains trapped after it goes off, thus writing "not for anyone to read, but for (his) own sanity".
In any case, we had payoffs and closure, which is more than can be said about most series out there today; on top of that, we had and a glimpse into the future and we have hope.

I especially loved the callbacks to previous episodes: the teacher talking about no make ups for the quiz and Professor Lefbrebrfbdb... whatever. :D
The lullaby in french was a nice touch as well :)
Michael being all protective of Nick and Pegs reassuring him that he's going to be fine. She finally found her strength, uh?

Technical note: Michael speaking to Tanya on the phone after Saul dies: it is very difficult to listen to. Is it supposed to be that low in volume? Like we are overhearing over the phone? Because the first part of the conversation with CJ we can hear just fine.

I can see a lot of spinoffs for the Tales: the new kind in the tunnels? What was Michael right about?

Thank you to the cast and crew. It was an amazing ride.

Gooer
Jul 22nd, 2014, 01:07 AM
Damn you now I will have to go back and compare the voice..

Oh, it was.

CJ did the Nasty with Robbins, and then she had a kid with someone else, I am starting to suspect that she worked at a massage parlor before Z day

Pretty sure they both got nasty and had children with different people...

This is the weakest connection to any of my theories coming true, since it had to be the worst in LA there had to be more survivors elsewhere.

14 years is long, but how did they find them.....?

Gooer
Jul 22nd, 2014, 01:26 AM
I did not like Burt going that far with Scratch and still in the end be okay and in the colony.

I think due to Scratch giving them so much shit, they kinda overlooked what Burt did, and were happy she was finally gone.

Fawkes
Jul 22nd, 2014, 01:30 AM

Shot down by Kc on my first post xD back to the drawing board..

But thanks for the reply Kc!

-Fawkes

UndeadSweeper
Jul 22nd, 2014, 04:03 AM

I'm think Saul got to see the new ones and was tell Michael that he was right.

clem131
Jul 22nd, 2014, 04:32 AM
I'm think Saul got to see the new ones and was tell Michael that he was right.

It seems his last words are "there's more" or "he's got more".
But they don't mention anything new to Nick, so I guess if we ever find out it will be through our heroes eyes.

EatMyShorts
Jul 22nd, 2014, 05:16 AM
I think due to Scratch giving them so much shit, they kinda overlooked what Burt did, and were happy she was finally gone.
Burt seems like the kind of guy to keep quiet about what he did, so no one else might know about it.

nikvoodoo
Jul 22nd, 2014, 05:33 AM
Best $5 I ever spent.

I still think Kc missed a golden opportunity to let TOWTM win and be reading the journals. And to have Riley kill Scratch. and any other multiple predictions that fell flat on their face.....

Merlin1274
Jul 22nd, 2014, 05:45 AM
I think Scratch got what she deserved. The lives lost on both sides over her inability to let things go. Burt probably did a don't ask don't tell with her..

In Comments about the last words of Saul.. Michael imo, was right about the new breed of Zombies like UndeadSweeper said.

In My last post I praised KC but forgot the Cast and Crew.. Kudos to you guys.. The voice acting was outstanding, the ambient sounds and special effects were awesome. It was easy for me to close my eyes and envision all that going on around me. I look forward to future work from you all...

UndeadSweeper
Jul 22nd, 2014, 06:07 AM
I want to said is how did KC and crew get the sound and effect of Scratch being in a coffin? The hair on the back of my neck raised up the moment I hear her in there.

Snake Liquid
Jul 22nd, 2014, 06:11 AM
Fantastic conclusion!

I love that my hope about Scratch ending up accomplishing nothing at all after all her efforts and all the deaths on her hands was true!! Yay! She really did get her comeuppance in the end. That was truly terrifying that scene where she talked to Burt!

I'm sad that Saul died. I figured that he would so it wasn't overly surprising but it was still a heart wrenching scene. Vic and Sauls goodbye and Michael telling Tanya about it was rough to listen to.

The time jump at the end was great! I love the new world at the end. Aunt and Uncle Vic. That's adorable. I'm also happy that Michael got to live in the end since he's always been my favorite but I was a little bit disappointed he didn't really get to do much in the finale. Not even finish off Randy after the mistake of letting him turn.

I wonder what Tales of We're Alive will hold. I almost hope it's not the future timeline because after such a strong uplifting ending I don't want to tarnish that with a new series.

katlero
Jul 22nd, 2014, 06:12 AM

And Saul died. I'll just go find a table for ya bud.

Snake Liquid
Jul 22nd, 2014, 06:22 AM
Another thought, I would have liked to see at least some recognition of Michael for saving the Colony and all the people living there. Without him none of that would exist. He was the one that went on the hunt for information and after Ink. CJ wasn't even originally going to let him but he was persistent to the point of almost going alone before she relented. If he hadn't, Ink would have kept breeding new creatures and eventually everyone would be dead or in miserable seclusion. His plan with KODI and taking the fight to Ink is what allowed this new world to grow and build.

No love for the guy! Gahhhh! I love ya Michael!

Gnex
Jul 22nd, 2014, 06:53 AM
And Saul died. I'll just go find a table for ya bud.

pssssshhhh!!!!!!

Th3_T3ch
Jul 22nd, 2014, 07:21 AM
Well...

Kc you are a fantastic writer. I'm so happy that I stubled upon your podcast (scratch that) masterpiece 4 years ago. I never thought I would have listened to a story and not see a thing, but have it effect me more than anything. Bravo to you good Gent.

One question that might be answered in Tales from We're Alive. What happened to Skittles/Duncan? I do hope the first tale you tell is his (although the Colony would have to find him first).

To a few posters.

Thank you for listening along side and bantering on in the forums. You've made this show even better. I still hold on to my one amazingly thought out theory long ago that was spat upon by a few, but was near identical to what actually happened (Kalani and the Rat [Great title for a drama]).

Again thanks to all who made this Story into the heart-pounding, tear-jerking, smile inducing story it is. THANK YOU!... and I can't wait to hear more.

Jannit
Jul 22nd, 2014, 07:48 AM
I have a couple of questions that another listen or two will probably answer but I don't have time at the moment so I'm going to crutch on you for the moment.

1. Was Ink actually a zombie? Why were his eyes clear rather than clouded like the rest? I get that the symbol mentioned protected him from others but did that protect him to the extent that he was never turned in the first place?

2. What happened to Randy?

clem131
Jul 22nd, 2014, 07:52 AM
I almost forgot: I love that the final move that kills Ink is the one from when CJ kills the zombies behind the garage door. She says "Gotta remember that move". Well, Saul did remember.

LiamKerrington
Jul 22nd, 2014, 07:52 AM
I have a couple of questions that another listen or two will probably answer but I don't have time at the moment so I'm going to crutch on you for the moment.

1. Was Ink actually a zombie? Why were his eyes clear rather than clouded like the rest? I get that the symbol mentioned protected him from others but did that protect him to the extent that he was never turned in the first place?

2. What happened to Randy?

Hi.

I take it that Randy was mata-gunned by Victor, before it could do any harm to Michael.
This might be a matter of opinion, but considering all the verious feats Ink did, I would consider him a zombie and not a human being. Especially the encounters in the Tower and the Cain Hospital seem to point at it. Also Michael seems to think this: If Ink really bit Saul into the neck in order to make him change into a zeeh, then Ink must've been a zombie himself - unless, though, he may simply carry the zeeh-agent without affecting him.

Jannit
Jul 22nd, 2014, 07:54 AM
Hi.

I take it that Randy was mata-gunned by Victor, before it could do any harm to Michael.
This might be a matter of opinion, but considering all the verious feats Ink did, I would consider him a zombie and not a human being. Especially the encounters in the Tower and the Cain Hospital seem to point at it.

Thanks for the response.

I guess I'll hold my onto those questions until Kc does his Q&A if it wasn't clear to other people too. :nik:

abayarts
Jul 22nd, 2014, 08:16 AM
For a moment, I thought the person that Nicholas, Burt, and Cj were looking at threw the rifle was Skittles. But then Nicholas said he looked ugly and confirm it's a zombie.

Alright, this thread has a spoiler warning. So if you clicked on this thread spoilers are not N issue.

So here it goes, I'll break the ice.

I loved the direction it went and like I said earlier, did not expect it to go the way it did but I loved it. My row was crying when Saul died. And even Harder when Michael was telling Tanya that he passed. Glad he killed Ink though, although Ink's death was a bit... quick for the build up. Then the reveal that 14 years has past and the whole thing was Michael and Pegs Retelling everything that happened to Nicholas. That was awesome. And that they've built this amazing society and everything else is awesome. It sounds like the next show will be following Nick and his adventures. Or at least I hope so.

Scratch got what was coming to her. Good job Burt.

abayarts
Jul 22nd, 2014, 08:25 AM

This was my favorite at the live event.

abayarts
Jul 22nd, 2014, 08:48 AM
So at the ending they talked about New Mexico Caves with the markings, and they might of originated from there. Has anyone found anything about this?

LiamKerrington
Jul 22nd, 2014, 08:58 AM
So at the ending they talked about New Mexico Caves with the markings, and they might of originated from there. Has anyone found anything about this?

Maybe something along this line:

http://www.riosecreto.com/mexico_caves/deep_caves_mexico.asp

Maybe in combination with this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maya_cave_sites

Osiris
Jul 22nd, 2014, 09:07 AM
Oh don't give me that I've been busy all season and not here, but I still LOVE to give you hell. You can always stay. Who else will argue that she killed Angel with kindness?

Pfft. "Busy," she says. You only came back for the finale! But at least you're back. :love:

TacticalJHP
Jul 22nd, 2014, 09:18 AM
Despite me not knowing how to download, the ending was great.

Left me with a warm fuzzy feeling.

KC, the Cast and Crew...y'all are amazing.

I eagerly look forward to Tales of We're Alive. Will it still be out of this site?

turbo
Jul 22nd, 2014, 09:38 AM
It was tough watching the entire cast on stage listen to it. Especially Shirley(Tanya). Was a rough scene for everyone to hear Michael tell her what happened.

YetAnotherBloodyCheek
Jul 22nd, 2014, 09:49 AM
Hello out there,

wow, what an effort, I really appreciate what the whole crew of We're Alive has achieved over the years. It was a pleasure to listen to the podcast. If I am entitled to describe my view on the final - which was a roller-caster ride pretty much indeed - I would like to emphasize that its of course very subjective.

In my opinion, delivered a wonderful conclusion for the most part. The death of Saul was one of these very moments of WA. It had this momentum when the odds shifted into a more and more unfavorable direction for all of the three: Michael, Victor and "late" but not last Saul. What a scene! What a fine example of writing and extraordinary writing skills. Remarkably done.

That said, I must state that I did not like the whole Dunbar arc, I even disliked it. To put it bluntly, I guess I will never become a fan of CJ. To me, the scene reminded - please be kind to me! - of the typical Star Trek Voyager episode of the week - the shields are down, the ship is shot to pieces but think, think, think! (I am exaggerating) and with the help of a Wal-Mart arsenal in reach of CJ - it felt unfortunately rather anti-climatic.

Scratch and both of her muscle buddies seemed to be surrounded by an aura of incompetence. I think they would have even failed in killing the Waltons in this scene. That was all you could do, Scratch, really? When I listened to the final in bed yesterday, it never occurred to me that Scratch would even be able to harm anyone.

With leads me to another thing. Frankly, Scratch had to die. Most of us knew it, though some tried to deny it until the very end. Well, I would have preferred Scratch to have died from the injuries caused by falling. A clear slate death. It happens. At least someone could have simply shot her for Christ's sake. What Burt did was just wrong. It just felt as watching the Dutch film The Vanishing (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Vanishing_(1988_film)) for the second time - which was pure horror as well. And everybody else of the group lived happily ever after? Hm.

In contrast to this, I really enjoyed the epilogue as hell. It was again top notch storytelling. The fact that Mr Whiskers and Riley's liver survived that long was very surprising indeed. :)
So, what is to say in the end? Damn, I liked to waste any minute of my life by listening to the show - and I would do it again, again, again...

Now, please do not stone me to death. :)

LiamKerrington
Jul 22nd, 2014, 09:52 AM
(Although I do not agree with some things, you have written, YABC, I hit "like" for your posting, 'cause it is a seemingly thought-through opinion ...)

YetAnotherBloodyCheek
Jul 22nd, 2014, 09:59 AM
(Although I do not agree with some things, you have written, YABC, I hit "like" for your posting, 'cause it is a seemingly thought-through opinion ...)

We're Alive would not be the show we like most if there had not been divergent opinions on what happens in each and every episode. But the way, pal, I "liked" you, too. You did not see that coming, right?

LiamKerrington
Jul 22nd, 2014, 10:00 AM
We're Alive would not be the show we like most if there would be not divergent opinions on what happens in each and every episode. But the way, pal, I "liked" you, too. You did not see that coming, right?

Exactly. :D

LiamKerrington
Jul 22nd, 2014, 10:27 AM
Roughly 45 hours of Awesome (not including intros, extros, commercials)! That's We're Alive!!!!!!!!

YetAnotherBloodyCheek
Jul 22nd, 2014, 10:40 AM
BTW, will we get our Skittles-Tale?

Kc
Jul 22nd, 2014, 10:51 AM
I eagerly look forward to Tales of We're Alive. Will it still be out of this site?

Yes, they'll be here, but Tales of We're Alive will be sold and not free. It'll be cheap, and WA - A story of survival will always be free as a podcast, unless some weird mega-contract requires us to pull it.

Another thought, I would have liked to see at least some recognition of Michael for saving the Colony and all the people living there. Without him none of that would exist. He was the one that went on the hunt for information and after Ink. CJ wasn't even originally going to let him but he was persistent to the point of almost going alone before she relented. If he hadn't, Ink would have kept breeding new creatures and eventually everyone would be dead or in miserable seclusion. His plan with KODI and taking the fight to Ink is what allowed this new world to grow and build.

No love for the guy! Gahhhh! I love ya Michael!

That's a good question to ask in the Q and A. The shortest answer: Michael turned down whatever leadership role offered.

Technical note: Michael speaking to Tanya on the phone after Saul dies: it is very difficult to listen to. Is it supposed to be that low in volume? Like we are overhearing over the phone? Because the first part of the conversation with CJ we can hear just fine.

It's very intentional. You get to have a glimpse of the conversation, but not all of it. It's almost a private moment, and we take the perspective of the people around Tanya and Michael, and not them directly.

That said, I must state that I did not like the whole Dunbar arc, I even disliked it. To put it bluntly, I guess I will never become a fan of CJ. To me, the scene reminded - please be kind to me! - of the typical Star Trek Voyager episode of the week - the shields are down, the ship is shot to pieces but think, think, think! (I am exaggerating) and with the help of a Wal-Mart arsenal in reach of CJ - it felt unfortunately rather anti-climatic.

Scratch and both of her muscle buddies seemed to be surrounded by an aura of incompetence. I think they would have even failed in killing the Waltons in this scene. That was all you could do, Scratch, really? When I listened to the final in bed yesterday, it never occurred to me that Scratch would even be able to harm anyone.
-----------

Now, please do not stone me to death. :)

Naw, no stones needed. I love how everyone can express freely what they feel about the finale.

In all seriousness, I'm really looking forward to the Q and A next Tuesday where you can ask these questions that are lingering. I'm trying not to answer them here right now just for that purpose.

YetAnotherBloodyCheek
Jul 22nd, 2014, 11:00 AM
It is plain obvious but I would like to point out that: WA's finale was so much more fulfilling than the final episode of LOST.

- One final question for Kc: Was Victor able to retrieve the missing DVD from Buffy The Vampire Slayer in the period of 14 years?

Kc
Jul 22nd, 2014, 11:08 AM
It is plain obvious but I would like to point out that: WA's finale was so much more fulfilling than the final episode of LOST.

- One final question for Kc: Was Victor able to retrieve the missing DVD from Buffy The Vampire Slayer in the period of 14 years?

That's not saying much... ;)

Oh, and the DVD has been found. There's a DVD library at the colony. They have 3 copies.

YetAnotherBloodyCheek
Jul 22nd, 2014, 11:12 AM

Oh, and the DVD has been found. There's a DVD library at the colony. They have 3 copies.

Yes, finally! Thank you. :)

YetAnotherBloodyCheek
Jul 22nd, 2014, 11:13 AM
Last past for today goes out to Burt. (I intentionally will misquote Dirty Dancing here)

Burt, nobody puts Scratch in a coffin.

UndeadSweeper
Jul 22nd, 2014, 11:24 AM

So did they "accidentally" lost the last eps. I can see Vic doing that :D

Gnex
Jul 22nd, 2014, 11:30 AM
Who makes the code A1, B2??? Who does that?!?!? Only someone that is trying to help both teams thats who!!!!

Never trust CJ!!! Rules to live by!!!!

HardKor
Jul 22nd, 2014, 12:05 PM
Who makes the code A1, B2??? Who does that?!?!? Only someone that is trying to help both teams thats who!!!!

http://youtu.be/a6iW-8xPw3k

nikvoodoo
Jul 22nd, 2014, 12:29 PM
I see so much anti-CJness going around. Come on guys! Her drawback was always execution. She executed her plan to get Pegs out of the building perfectly. It's that stinkin' Pegs who screwed up and didn't cover her face right!

Gooer
Jul 22nd, 2014, 12:34 PM
Burt seems like the kind of guy to keep quiet about what he did, so no one else might know about it.

Was thinking that might be it too, and was going to write it, but i deleted it for some reason......

Gooer
Jul 22nd, 2014, 12:36 PM

Haha, glad that's been cleared up.

*facepalm* oh Gnex......

UndeadSweeper
Jul 22nd, 2014, 12:55 PM

A1,B2 Wow, it seem CJ has sunken your battleship.

jmdavis333
Jul 22nd, 2014, 01:34 PM
A1,B2 Wow, it seem CJ has sunken your battleship.

First thought when she told Kelly the combination:

fredrum
Jul 22nd, 2014, 02:57 PM
If I recall correctly, 1A2B is one of the self destruct codes for the enterprise in the original Star Trek series. i doubt this was a reference to it, but that's where my mind immediately went.

Witch_Doctor
Jul 22nd, 2014, 03:09 PM
No use now. All but one of mine turned out to be totally wrong. Hell of an ending though.

I kind of count your prediction that Scratch survives to the end to be correct. She made it past the final battle. Good Job, Sir.

Witch_Doctor
Jul 22nd, 2014, 04:01 PM
OK, so I didn't change this at all. :britt:

Since the first clear images of Ink were posted, we have been captivated by the symbols. Voodoo, Chemical, Egyptian, Chinese, Alchemy, Old Norse,... the list goes on. We have speculated and debated about their meanings, their origins and their purpose in the story. Is Ink an occultist, a mad scientist or some other type of mystical puppet master? Yet there were scores of questions and ideas that seemed to be in conflict with each other. But two elements go hand & hand, they are inseparable; Ink and the Symbols. Ink get's his name by way of the symbols covering his skin. The symbols seemed to be the secret to his plans. But what are his plans?

Ever since it was revealed that Ink was using symbols to manipulate the zombies, we have debated how could it be that zombies could be controlled by them. Is there a zombie language? Are these zombie-glyphs? How can they understand different symbols from a cross section of cultures from a long span of history? How can the zombies understand them and humans can't? Is there something mystical going on? Surely, looking at an ancient rune, a Voodoo veve, or the Eye of Horace can't possibly have a control over a real flesh and blood human suffering from some sort of naturally-caused cognitive disorder. They can't even reason, how can they possibly understand these symbols? It seemed that the only way the symbols could possibly have an affect on the zombies is by way of some supernatural effect. And boy oh boy, did we let K.C. have it. How dare he wind up this story by introducing hocus pocus, mumbo jumbo? Don't know how you're gonna pull a logical explanation out of yer butt! Looky here folks, deus ex machina is a comin' our way!

But throughout the whole story there were clues to something else.

The outbreak is world-wide. Starts along geologically active places. Ink has no control over that.
Zombie-making haze coming from deep underground.
Zombie bodies decompose and release the haze (Gas).
It seems that something buried deep underground that could produce the gas might very well be incredibly ancient.
The soldiers discover a zombie Rosetta Stone and we learn that Ink placed symbols all over the place like a gang member with a can of spray paint. Along with Datu, we learn that this is how he controls the zombies.
In the jail, we see different symbols over different doors. One stands out. The rainbow-fan symbol. We later learn from Datu that this somehow 'feels like stop', and with Tanya's help, we learn that it is the reason why there was one cell where the door was not busted in. The zombies would not go in there.
Datu encounters another symbol beckoning him to enter. The symbols don't say anything, they just cause a feeling.
The zombies are like animals. They even nest like ants. They are controlled by instincts and their senses, not unlike animals in heat.
Some zombies seemed to form cliques.
Many of the symbols are described as symbols we can look up. Symbols that we might even know about. Some people on the forum even figured out that the common meaning behind these symbols is that of protection, long before Tanya revealed it.
Google the Rainbow-Fan symbol and see what you get. Nothing comes up. It's not a recognizable symbol from a recognizable human history. Almost like KC just made it up.
We learn, again with Tanya's help, that Ink feared death and most likely had himself tattooed with protection symbols in a desperate attempt to save himself from a lethal injection needle.
Ink seems to have conducted TWO experiments in the jail. One to create the behemoths, another to determine which symbol does what.

Where am I going with this? How can an ancient symbol control people suffering from some sort of cognitive disease? Where would such a symbol come from?
Perhaps the stop and enter symbols are ancient symbols of protection from some very ancient unnamed culture. Ink may have found them in a catalog of similar symbols, using any and all in a willy-nilly fashion. In order to look for the origin of such a symbol from the PAST in the We're Alive Universe, lets look into the FUTURE in the We're Alive Universe.

Ink is dead, and so are his minion of zombies under his control. His clique. The only realistic way for Ink to counter the effect of the stop symbol is to create new zombies immune to it. Perhaps breeding smart ones who show resistance to it. (Like humans who show resistance to the infection.) So, with the death of Ink, Michael and Tanya's fear is abated and CJ's plan of marking everything can prevail.
With Ink gone, the remaining zombies can't learn to avoid the effects of the markings.
The human survivors mark themselves, their effects, their habitats, their roadways and everything else with the SYMBOL OF PROTECTION. Just like it was done some untold time in the past when this last happened. In time, the origin of the symbols are lost. All that remains is the notion that it protects.

And just how does such a symbol protect from the deranged, crazed, animal-brained former humans? Well, as animals with highly diminished cognitive functions, these creatures are instinctual. They act like insects. They follow the leader. They go under ground. Perhaps what we call 'symbols' are, to them, natural markers. Bi-valued even. Stop-Come, Front-Back, First-Last. Perhaps an earlier version of these creatures, in the ancient past, formed chains or links or trails, all leading underground. DEEP UNDERGROUND, like Tanya said. Deeper than anyone bothered to dig. There, they died, decomposed, and turned into gas.

daveyman23
Jul 23rd, 2014, 12:03 AM
Bravo, KC. And to the cast and crew as well.

Utterly amazing. Breathtaking and bittersweet, leaving us with just enough to want more. I mean we ALL want more, which is why we are here on the forums. But you get what I'm saying. Thank you so much for your hard work and dedication. I hope one day someone with the ability to award you something recognizes your immense talent and gives you all the awards. ALL OF THE THEM.

And I definitely plan to buy every single "Tales from We're Alive"

And this may be the gamer in me speaking but I really want to play as Nicholas progressing through training and venturing out into the post-apocalyptic world to discover the truths our favorite characters were unable to. The "new" special kind, whatever may have happened to skittles, the charred remains of Boulder. Is it just me or does that not sound fucking awesome?

Gooer
Jul 23rd, 2014, 02:18 AM
I kind of count your prediction that Scratch survives to the end to be correct. She made it past the final battle. Good Job, Sir.

She may of lived through the battle, but i wouldn't class "buried alive" to be surviving. Haha :P

Litmaster
Jul 23rd, 2014, 03:16 AM
She may of lived through the battle, but i wouldn't class "buried alive" to be surviving. Haha :P

A fitting end for such a fine individual.... :nik:

LiamKerrington
Jul 23rd, 2014, 04:22 AM

Imagine ...

Scratch sitting in the box, receiving enough air to breath for a couple of days. Starvation kicks in.

But before she dies, some zombs dig from beneath to her position. They free her, bite her, and make her a new super-zomb ...

And then she, again, tries to kick someone's arse - like Burt's and Pegs' ...

Best wishes!
Liam

urzombiefood
Jul 23rd, 2014, 05:38 AM
Thank you KC and crew for an amazing story told in an old school way like radio. You have earned my 5 bucks. I would have paid more. :nik: I really can't say enough about the cast and crew who did an amazing job over the years. My hat is off for all of you! Thank you again!

Also one last thing KC and I'm sure you have been told this before. If anyone ever buys the story from you make sure you have stipulations in there that they arent allowed to change the story. Nothing worse than someone trying to make a already great story into something that it's not.

Congrats! I look forward to your future work.

Merlin1274
Jul 23rd, 2014, 05:47 AM
Imagine ...

Scratch sitting in the box, receiving enough air to breath for a couple of days. Starvation kicks in.

But before she dies, some zombs dig from beneath to her position. They free her, bite her, and make her a new super-zomb ...

Best wishes!
Liam
Burt Did say he was going to come back everyday.. I am sure to 1. Make sure she remains where she is and 2. To torture her further and listen to her beg.

LiamKerrington
Jul 23rd, 2014, 06:20 AM
Burt Did say he was going to come back everyday.. I am sure to 1. Make sure she remains where she is and 2. To torture her further and listen to her beg.

a) The coffin was underneath rubble und concrete, so Burt had no visual on Scratch anymore,
b) Burt destroyed the radio and thus was not able to check on Scratch by listening to either her voice or her breathing.

So, yes: Burt would check the grave. But by no means was he able to see, what was going on underneath the grave, unless he dug a tunnel to it himself ...

Merlin1274
Jul 23rd, 2014, 08:02 AM
Did not recall the part where he destroyed the Radio..

GreggSz
Jul 23rd, 2014, 08:33 AM
Burt told her he would check on her everyday then smashed the radio. I think giving her the expectation of being able to tell time and negotiate a way out was one more level of horror he was inflicting. A very nasty way to go for a very nasty person.

LiamKerrington
Jul 23rd, 2014, 08:44 AM
Did not recall the part where he destroyed the Radio..

I "recognized" or "understood" the destruction of the radio not earlier than in my third listening of chapter #48 ... During the first two listening I was just curious about the sound, but I did not conclude anything from it ...

YetAnotherBloodyCheek
Jul 23rd, 2014, 10:20 AM
Hi, I am such a sick weirdo, but as I have already started the WA soundtrack thread some time ago, my mind reminded me of the one and only appropriate soundtrack for the situation Scratch was left in at the present day story of We're Alive.

Pay close attention to the lyrics. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sq8VDXlWQk

YetAnotherBloodyCheek
Jul 23rd, 2014, 12:41 PM
Still denying it.

YetAnotherBloodyCheek
Jul 23rd, 2014, 12:53 PM
Still denying...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8y9US7ajWo

Gnex
Jul 23rd, 2014, 01:14 PM
Next season on We're Alive..... Nicholas heads off to Hogwarts!!! :omgomg:

YetAnotherBloodyCheek
Jul 23rd, 2014, 01:21 PM

Nay, Hogwarts already has a Nicholas.

http://www.executedtoday.com/images/Nearly_Headless_Nick.jpg

UndeadSweeper
Jul 23rd, 2014, 01:50 PM

Nope, Nicholas joins the CJ Army.

Witch_Doctor
Jul 23rd, 2014, 01:58 PM
Imagine ...

Best wishes!
Liam

UGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No More Predictions!!! LOL

Good one though!

Witch_Doctor
Jul 23rd, 2014, 02:19 PM
a) The coffin was underneath rubble und concrete, so Burt had no visual on Scratch anymore,
b) Burt destroyed the radio and thus was not able to check on Scratch by listening to either her voice or her breathing.

So, yes: Burt would check the grave. But by no means was he able to see, what was going on underneath the grave, unless he dug a tunnel to it himself ...

You know, as Mick & Red Beard would say, C.J. probably has a camera peeking inside. :squint:

Witch_Doctor
Jul 23rd, 2014, 02:52 PM

Yes and no. It's called a petroglyphs. They're carvings in the face of stones found all over the world. There is a Petroglyph National Monument (http://www.nps.gov/petr/index.htm) in New Mexico. I couldn't find THAT particular one by looking online, though. I meant to ask KC if it was from a real petroglyph or if he made it up from whole cloth. Maybe we could save this for the Q&A. The gift shops and tourist spots in New Mexico were full of this one...
Kokopelli

I can only imagine the artwork YOU can make based on petroglyphs. When Michael said that's were the symbol came from, I nearly got up and started dancing. We had just driven through N.M. and petroglyphs were heavily on my mind as an art form.

Witch_Doctor
Jul 23rd, 2014, 03:04 PM

http://youtu.be/a6iW-8xPw3k

LOL HardKor

My thoughts, (After immediately thinking of Space Balls), was that she picked that to keep it simple in the event that it wouldn't be needed unless there was a LOT of pressure. So much pressure that one could easily forget a more complex combination. What makes it secure if that, unless someone else knew ahead of time that the gun(?) was there, they wouldn't really be able to think through all of the simple combinations either. There are SCORES of simple combinations: 1234, abcd, 1ab2, a1b2.....

UndeadSweeper
Jul 23rd, 2014, 03:35 PM
LOL HardKor

My thoughts, (After immediately thinking of Space Balls), was that she picked that to keep it simple in the event that it wouldn't be needed unless there was a LOT of pressure. So much pressure that one could easily forget a more complex combination. What makes it secure if that, unless someone else knew ahead of time that the gun(?) was there, they wouldn't really be able to think through all of the simple combinations either. There are SCORES of simple combinations: 1234, abcd, 1ab2, a1b2.....

A code so simple even Kelly won't have forgot unless it was Hope's Birthday.

Eviebae
Jul 23rd, 2014, 03:55 PM
Oof
over?
No way, cannot be.

Well done KC; a very satisfying ending. Enough callbacks, endings and beginnings to balance things out. I feel like I was in on the ground floor of an historic bit of artistic happening. You've created this amazing thing that will reverberate throughout your life. Congratulations!

Scratch's end made me squirm, but I guess it fit with Bert's personality--especially his ability to leave it behind. I suppose that the earthquakes/explosions could have cracked a wall in Scratches tomb, I just think that if She had gotten out they would have seen her by now.

Nicholas' voice sounded like a young Saul.

I was worried that the zombie would end up being Saul or someone from the past. Soooo happy it wasn't.

I wonder if Tanya's cancer was from the haze or was a side effect of the genetics that made her immune?

Without computers rapidly flipping through combinations to deal with, simple is good. The reason they teach us to dial nine-one-one instead of nine-eleven. Its because in an emergency people would be looking for an 11 on the dial...I know I would.

eda14
Jul 23rd, 2014, 06:53 PM
Finished the Finale tonight... Incredible. I still have a ton of questions, but many of them could probably be answered in the upcoming Tales.

Also, how sweet would it be to have a side-story that shows the happenings from Ink's point of view?

Meeks
Jul 23rd, 2014, 08:19 PM
I think it ended right where it should have. I just needed a few days to let it all soak in. I can't wait to see what else happens in this universe.

Storm
Jul 23rd, 2014, 08:59 PM
It's 6AM in the morning and I haven't slept yet... Even though I just came home from a vacation and was pretty tired... Been home for about six hours by now, first thing I did was to buy the final chapter...
Everything that I've had to say has already been said by others... Only thing that kinda bothered me a Little was how fast Randy got killed... No final line or anything from him... But well.
So... What happened to 7? I can't remember that one getting killed. Only time we've met that one was at G0 in chapter 40. I guess the one at Raydon was 10 then? Good to know that for sure now. :D
*Goes back to googling petroglyphs and stuff*

Gooer
Jul 23rd, 2014, 11:58 PM
Imagine ...

Best wishes!
Liam

The ultimate revenge story......

Gooer
Jul 24th, 2014, 12:53 AM
Oof
over?
No way, cannot be.

Well done KC; a very satisfying ending. Enough callbacks, endings and beginnings to balance things out. I feel like I was in on the ground floor of an historic bit of artistic happening. You've created this amazing thing that will reverberate throughout your life. Congratulations!

Scratch's end made me squirm, but I guess it fit with Bert's personality--especially his ability to leave it behind. I suppose that the earthquakes/explosions could have cracked a wall in Scratches tomb, I just think that if She had gotten out they would have seen her by now.

Nicholas' voice sounded like a young Saul.

I was worried that the zombie would end up being Saul or someone from the past. Soooo happy it wasn't.

I wonder if Tanya's cancer was from the haze or was a side effect of the genetics that made her immune?

Without computers rapidly flipping through combinations to deal with, simple is good. The reason they teach us to dial nine-one-one instead of nine-eleven. Its because in an emergency people would be looking for an 11 on the dial...I know I would.

If a crack had appeared in the coffin and she was able to escape from it, it would most likely collapse on her with 6ft of rubble/dirt, suffocating her and possibly crushing her.

UndeadSweeper
Jul 24th, 2014, 06:28 AM
Something I noticed, Pegs seen to have been shot on the stairways when she said "my arms!" but nothing about is mention later. As well. Pegs loves to cut people off. Hope kept try to talk and she barely get a sentence out beside the time that Pegs couldn't talk due to the gas. Pegs even cut off CJ about the incoming vehicle. Pegs listen for a moment it may save your live.

UndeadSweeper
Jul 24th, 2014, 08:12 AM
Also is Burt foreshadowing the stories we will hear about in Tales of We're Alive? When he is tell Nicholas about the issues they have had with the first group.

Gnex
Jul 24th, 2014, 08:18 AM
Something I noticed, Pegs seen to have been shot on the stairways when she said "my arms!" but nothing about is mention later. As well. Pegs loves to cut people off. Hope kept try to talk and she barely get a sentence out beside the time that Pegs couldn't talk due to the gas. Pegs even cut off CJ about the incoming vehicle. Pegs listen for a moment it may save your live.

I believe she was saying "My eyes, My eyes" it is supposed to be muffled because she has a wet rag over her mouth........ I thought it was "My arm" first too.......

Storm
Jul 24th, 2014, 10:30 AM
I think they will manage to defeat the zombies in the end but Michael gets killed in the process. We flash forward 20 years and the world is starting to be rebuilt and the person reading the journals is Michael and Pegs son/daughter. They have an emotional conversation about about their dad as someone goes running bare ass down the street while being chased by a zombie!

Pegs says "aw shit, not again", takes out her shotgun with "Michael" engraved on the side of the barrel, goes outside and blows it away

That's probably what's going to happen right?

O.O

YetAnotherBloodyCheek
Jul 24th, 2014, 12:05 PM
Yes and no. It's called a petroglyphs. They're carvings in the face of stones found all over the world. There is a Petroglyph National Monument (http://www.nps.gov/petr/index.htm) in New Mexico. I couldn't find THAT particular one by looking online, though. I meant to ask KC if it was from a real petroglyph or if he made it up from whole cloth. Maybe we could save this for the Q&A. The gift shops and tourist spots in New Mexico were full of this one...
Kokopelli

I can only imagine the artwork YOU can make based on petroglyphs. When Michael said that's were the symbol came from, I nearly got up and started dancing. We had just driven through N.M. and petroglyphs were heavily on my mind as an art form.

Nice, thank you. A simple stone like this provides more ways to express yourself that any IT system you can think of... ummm, wait a moment. I think they are about to extend the unicode emoticons to satisfy my requirements, cf. http://emojipedia.org/reversed-hand-with-middle-finger-extended/

nickombie
Jul 24th, 2014, 12:05 PM
Wow just wow.. I have to say after all these years and Mondays this is how you finish it! From sacrifice to revenge to giving us a glimpse of the future. Thank you to Were Alive team for so many memories.

Also so glad Scratch went out the way she did hahahaha all those time she got away.

Jannit
Jul 24th, 2014, 01:08 PM
It's been a few days and having this over still feels kind of anticlimactic for me. It makes sense and everything, I guess, but I'm looking forward to Kc providing more answers later on. One for the pile: What was the deal with the mob of scarred zombies we saw in Chapter 1, episode 1? Were they just a random bunch of scarred people that got turned at the same time? That description's always bothered me.

Storm
Jul 24th, 2014, 03:01 PM
So... For all those of you WHO hoped it would all just be a daydream of Michaels... here you go. (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3675982/WA-JustADream.mp3)
Yes, I was bored, but I found it a bit funny that there is an explotion in the background in both the first and last chapter, and also that the teacher points out that there won't be any makeups for the quiz... I guess Miky just had had enough of his homemade cloroform the night before, which explains why he hadn't been studying for the test. :D

eda14
Jul 24th, 2014, 07:31 PM
Listened for a second time and thought about a few things:

1: Burt tells Nick that revenge doesn't end the pain... Is he a little haunted by what he did to Scratch?

2: CJ says that the zombies can live for long periods without food. Were the zombies that swam to the boat around before the outbreak and starting to starve, or do they get really thin and starved looking quickly?

3: Mind is still blown!

airrunner
Jul 24th, 2014, 11:40 PM
Wow, my first post (other than my intro)... So glad I can finally feel like a full-fledged member of the Forum at last.

Just had my own personal listening party for the final episode and I am very happy with it. As people have mentioned, it did feel abrupt, how the Ink arc was completed so quickly. But in retrospect it makes sense. The most important story all along has been about survival and by spending the second half of the episode fast forwarding and giving you glimpses into the future, which revolves around an entirely new plot line (whether Nick will choose to join the Guard or not), it felt like both halves of Chapter 48 were given equal weight. While we the We're Alive audience have viewed the arc of Ink as though it was the most essential storyline, from the survivors' perspective it's just one chapter among many in their lives - and presumably one storyline among thousands that are compelling and intriguing in their own right. It's like the We're Alive universe is brimming with numerous tales to be told and KC simply plucked one out and held up the magnifying glass for us to examine in depth over the past five years (well the past two months for me since I discovered the show really late in its run).

I think that's what I have loved so much about this work and KC's writing - he does such an excellent job of challenging the audience's perceptions and expectations. Seasons One and Two were top notch but they seemed to follow a conventional and linear zombie survival storyline, though with the element that the zombies don't behave as we expect. And if the show had kept on that way I would have loved it. But then Season Three threw convention out the window with the introduction of Kalani's diary and CJ. The former did this by having us reexamine aspects of the story we thought we understood and relive experiences we thought had been fully fleshed from a different point of view. We soon realize that the significance of any scene is always colored by the context of how we came to see it. And we became aware that KC is a master storyteller because he could take a scene (like Samantha, Datu, and the fat inert dude on the floor that we pray will be the sacrificial lamb to allow them to escape) and make you completely rethink your sympathies by changing the perspective (like Samantha, Datu, and a tragic everyman Kalani, who is desperate to save his daughter from some psychotic criminals).

With CJ, KC took the normal convention of having the narrator/protagonist be the main hero and leader of the story and turned that on its head as well. After you get to know CJ you realize that someone else could possibly be as capable a leader if not moreso than the one whose perspective you have adopted for the first half of the story. Now of course CJ has her flaws (as does every character in the show, which is another reason I love We're Alive), but she rarely runs out of ideas on what to do, she's less likely succumb to emotions and rush into a decision like Michael does, she doesn't cut people off when they offer a different course of action than her the way Michael did a few times, and she's less likely to blame someone for making a mistake like Michael did early on in the show (he got way better about letting go later on). On the flipside CJ can seem rather cruel and inhumane at times, she puts greater stock in the intellect and less in emotions and feelings, she's really controlling, and she's frankly not as relatable as Michael is and thus is less likable.

And as for the protagonist not being the main hero of the story, the resolution of the Ink arc showed that ultimately Saul is the one fights Roberts man-to-man and is the one who sacrifices himself to save his friends. Victor is the one who ends up taking down Michael's other main nemesis, Randy. One could argue that Michael didn't actually do anything in his portion of the finale other than narrate. Off the top of my head I can't think of other another work of fiction that manage this feat of disconnecting the protagonist role from the main hero role of the story. As the protagonist one would have expected Michael to defeat the primary antagonist of the story, but instead he was there to witness the antagonist being defeated by someone else, because really only Saul could have beaten Ink due to his immunity. This isn't to say that Michael was not a hero, just that the typical convention that the protagonist has to be the main hero who accomplishes the most important tasks of the story did not hold true with We're Alive. Michael was one hero among many, all of whom were tested at one point or another and called upon to act heroicly for the benefit of the survivors as a group.

Sorry my post is so long, I've had a lot I wanted to write about but I wanted to wait to complete the whole series before becoming more active on the Forum.

Some quick points about the finale:

1) LOVED LOVED LOVED that Kelly and Tanya finally had a chance to go all bad*ss action hero. It seemed like every other main character had his or her moment to shine in an action scene. Did I hear right that they killed the two remaining Mallers (aside from Scratch)?
2) Saul's callback to CJ's leg-cutting maneuver with the katana when he took down the cocksure Ink. YES!
3) It strikes me as ironic that Pegs - who has one of the purest hearts on the show (it sounded like she was rushing to Scratch out of concern after she fell off the fire escape), who doesn't entertain any dark thoughts, who hates the idea of killing or even holding a gun, and who is not obsessed with revenge - is the one who ultimately ends Scratch's Reign of Terror. And it was all done so matter of fact (Pegs says something like she missed, I didn't), like she gives the notion of killing Scratch barely a fleeting thought while Scratch spends every waking second wanting to kill Pegs (ditto for Riley and Burt with Scratch). As she's the one who killed Latch as well, Pegs single-handedly hurt Scratch both emotionally and physically where no one else seemed to be able to lay a finger on her. Little did Scratch realize that Pegs was her kryptonite and she should have stayed as far away from her as she could.
4) That said I was totally creeped out by the Hitchcock/Cask of Amontillado vibe thing going on with Scratch's final scene. Being buried alive is cruel and to hear Scratch sound so fearful and vulnerable - well it made me feel sympathetic towards her even though I spent most of the show wanting her dead after Angel's death. It didn't seem right. But hearing Burt recall what it felt like to nearly starve to death...well I think I need to relisten to his torture scene and then I'll feel better about Scratch's fate.
5) Victor taking down Randy like it was nothing (another interesting play with perception because to Michael, Randy was this almost "Big Boss"/diabolical villain type that he obsessed about and to Victor, Randy was just another biter). And the callback about how Victor promised he'd never let another zombie get close again. Perfection.
6) Whoever played Nick is a strong actor. He totally sounded like a young version of Saul. Kudos on the casting!
7) Lastly, CJ mentioned other survivor enclaves out there (some good and some not). Hmm... Atlanta is certainly out there. Walking Dead/We're Alive crossover?

Thank you KC for a wonderful show. I really appreciate everything you did with We're Alive. It has literally been my life the past 2 1/2 months. You're writing and ability to dip into so many different types of genres (comedy, horror, drama, suspense) effortlessly is incredible. The ending was so satisfying. I'm sure I'll post more in the Forum in the future and I look forward to Tales, but what an incredible run you had with this story. You have a lifelong fan of your work in me and I can't wait to see what you do next. As my finances allow, I will definitely be sending donations your way (I like the idea that we, your fans, can collectively act as your benefactor or patron). I know you earned barely anything for We're Alive but know that your work has meant more to me than any commercial work of art that has come out in television or in the cineplexes for the past 10 years. My wish for you is that you are able to earn a living off your art because you are so good at it and the world deserves to see more of it.

--Eric

LiamKerrington
Jul 25th, 2014, 12:59 AM
... Sorry my post is so long, I've had a lot I wanted to write about but I wanted to wait to complete the whole series before becoming more active on the Forum. ...
--Eric

Go on, Eric. I like your perspective and your perception. If there is more to tell, go ahead!

airrunner
Jul 25th, 2014, 07:20 AM
Just listened again to Episode 48. I actually went to bed listening to it. I find hearing all the characters' voices to be soothing, like they're all my friends. I know, how sad. :)

A few additional observations (and thanks Liam):

1. I was wrong about Michael and the Ink arc. He did do something important as he enabled Saul to take down the tattooed guy. Hope played an analogous role for Pegs with the Scratch arc.

2. It's really cool that the whole LA crew appears to be raising Nick together, each imparting is or her own bit of wisdom on the kid, who appears to be soaking it all in. Maybe the survivors will have their own version of the Little One - a super soldier with the soul of Saul, the heart of Pegs, the vision of Michael, the boldness and sharp-shooting skill of Burt, the forethought and attention to detail of CJ, the healthy skepticism of Judge Kelly, the intellectual curiousity of Tanya, the willingness to see past limitations like Hope, the healthy sense of humor and fun from Uncle Vic, the appreciation of service to the Colony and fellow humankind from Sgt. Puck, and the ability to tap into his emotions like Riley, all along with an innate ability to relate to and understand other people (a gift from his mother), and perhaps the mastery over water (thanks to Pete, ha ha!).

3. Mr. Whiskers survived! But what about Lady? I feel like cats can live longer than dogs so it doesn't look so good for Saul's other girl.

4. I think I read someone wishing Michael was playing more of a leadership role with the Colony. I only heard a few references to the Colony's form of government, referred to as "The Council." it sounds like Michael and Pegs both serve on it and CJ must be the head of it (probably like a Speaker of the House, moreso than say a Prime Minister or President) as she can simply cancel meetings. All three appear to be leaders then.

5. Who did CJ have a daughter with? The only person I noticed who seemed to be at her beck and call was Max and presumably he didn't survive his encounter with the Mallers.

6. One last more general comment about We're Alive, it's depiction of women in roles the typical piece of fiction would normally reserve for men is refreshing. All the best-trained and able-bodied men are sent out to tackle one of the main villains leaving basically a ragtag team of ordinary women (they definitely weren't Project Alice, Sarah Connor or Ripley types) to hold down the fort against the other Big Baddie, who also is a woman. This was done without anyone drawing any special attention to it. Scratch was treated like any other villain would be, including a macabre fate that was warranted by her actions. Pegs, Kelly, Hope, Tanya, and CJ were left to save themselves like any other group of survivors would be. Take any of them out and throw in a different character and I would have been just as worried about their predicament and just as hopeful that they made it out alive. Gender, race, physical disability, sexual orientation - none of it means anything in a world of survival and that's how it should be.

Storm
Jul 25th, 2014, 08:24 AM
5. Who did CJ have a daughter with? The only person I noticed who seemed to be at her beck and call was Max and presumably he didn't survive his encounter with the Mallers.

Sounds strange, I know... But I got this funny feeling that it's Burt... Something about the way they talk to each other in the end... But WHO knows? :)

LiamKerrington
Jul 25th, 2014, 08:41 AM
Gender, race, physical disability, sexual orientation - none of it means anything in a world of survival and that's how it should be.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/7b/P_yes_green.svg/400px-P_yes_green.svg.png

And not only in a story of survival, but everywhere anytime.

GreggSz
Jul 25th, 2014, 10:31 AM
Sounds strange, I know... But I got this funny feeling that it's Burt... Something about the way they talk to each other in the end... But WHO knows? :)

CJ told Burt it upset her daughter when she showed up unannounced. If Burt was the father I think CJ would have use our daughter. CJ probably fell for one of the other 10k new members of the colony unless it was the last act of kindness by Saul?

Ari paddel
Jul 25th, 2014, 02:15 PM
Here's officially my first post on the forum. (Yaay me!) However, I would get my weekly fix by reading and comparing my own theories to those on this forum. I can honestly and humbly admit I was wrong many more times than right at predicting the story. That is a testament to KC's ability in writing a masterful script that challenges it's listeners from start to finish. Outstanding work to KC and crew. My deepest and sincerest thank you for sharing such an awesome work of art!

Quick thoughts
15 years have passed and humanity is gradually beginning to rebuild, repopulate, and create something resembling a world lost to biters. Essentially, aren't the biters doing the same and buying time to make a run at the humans? After their numbers have been replenished we shouldn't expect them to be passive but to attack with a vengeance? After all, we witnessed this at the Tower, Dunbar, Irwin, Boulder, and the colony."If history repeats itself, and the unexpected always happens, how incapable must man be of learning from experience"

Gooer
Jul 25th, 2014, 02:18 PM
CJ told Burt it upset her daughter when she showed up unannounced. If Burt was the father I think CJ would have use our daughter. CJ probably fell for one of the other 10k new members of the colony unless it was the last act of kindness by Saul?

If it was Saul's 2nd baby, it would of been mentioned, not left in the air.

Pikepaw
Jul 25th, 2014, 07:12 PM
Tammy told me that all of the surviving characters have a voice on the council in some way or another, which makes sense for their contributions. CJ's baby daddy is one last great mystery of the series, but I will throw out a ball that makes me chuckle. I say it is Pete! I can't type that without laughing...but maybe she wanted a third water bottle and one thing led to another...

Ok but I had an epiphany out in the grueling labour and hot sun of my work. There is an underlying message in We're Alive showing us the heart of KC Wayland. KC is Team Jacob for the Twilight series:

-Saul, a popular character, prefers dogs over cats as well as Mr Whiskers is a symbol of death and could be plotting against the characters. Lady on the other hand, is group therapy for the Tower and is always a priority to be protected. Burt is the only one to ever say anything bad about her. Mr Whiskers is at first only appreciated by Pegs, with Riley, Saul, Lizzie and Victor all at some point making negative comments towards him. The fear Mr Whiskers may be a zombie, but never hold such fears for Lady. Thus dog>cat. In Twilight, Jacob is a werewolf, while Edward has feline traits, described as roaring like a lion, etc.

-Next up we have Scratch, who lost the ability to have children and lives vicariously through the first pregnant woman she has in her power. She is fiercely protective of pregnant Lizzie, insists on giving her the best care, but is clearly more interested in the baby than in Lizzie. In the finale she is willing to at least feign giving up her ultimate revenge against Pegs in order to take Nicholas, acquiring him becoming her new primary objective. This is almost exactly what Rosalie does in Breaking Dawn, albeit with more guns. The one thing she wants most is to have a child and is willing to use Bella to get a baby. Scratch of course is a villain, and Rosalie is seen negatively from Jacob's perspective. To the point where Jacob believes that Rose would sacrifice everyone else in order to have that baby. In We're Alive we are meant to have the same perspective as Jacob in this scenario.

-Ink is pale, hides underground and bites the neck, all things associated with vampires. He also wears a suit, which is classy, just like the Cullens are well dressed and classy. Ink is a villain, so vampires are evil, and their natural enemy, the werewolf, is our friend.

-One of Michael's themes is learning to adapt, breaking rules and making his own. It is shown that characters who go half-cocked, making the Hail Mary passes are in general more successful than those who spend their time over thinking things. Saul rarely had any long term plans and in general was quite successful with his improvisations. CJ's over-thought master plans tended to fail in their execution and needed the on the fly thinking of Saul and Victor. Michael makes more vague plans as the series goes on, assessing situations in the moment and this leads to greater successes. Edward over-thinks everything while Jacob always flies by the seat of his pants.

So in conclusion, as the burning sun revealed to me, We're Alive is saying Team Jacob!
There can be no more than half a dozen logical fallacies in my thinking here.

airrunner
Jul 25th, 2014, 09:53 PM
15 years have passed and humanity is gradually beginning to rebuild, repopulate, and create something resembling a world lost to biters. Essentially, aren't the biters doing the same and buying time to make a run at the humans? After their numbers have been replenished we shouldn't expect them to be passive but to attack with a vengeance? After all, we witnessed this at the Tower, Dunbar, Irwin, Boulder, and the colony."If history repeats itself, and the unexpected always happens, how incapable must man be of learning from experience"

Perhaps... but in every one of those cases a special zombie needed to play a role be it Ink (Tower, Dunbar) or a Little One (Irwin, Boulder). There might be others out there like Ink but what happened in LA required a convergence of circumstances.

1. You need a smart one.
2. You need a smart one who understands chemistry.
3. You need a smart one who is paranoid enough to uncover a symbol that allows him to control and organize other zombies so that you can conduct experiments.

Without the involvement of special zombies or at least a smart one the zombie menace seems manageable for a well-run place like the Colony.

Windsor995
Jul 26th, 2014, 10:01 AM
Epic ending to a great series

Kc
Jul 26th, 2014, 10:35 AM
Tammy told me that all of the surviving characters have a voice on the council in some way or another, which makes sense for their contributions.

Some do, some don't. It depends on who we're talking about. Victor isn't, and Michael's seat is typically vacant. Burt is not on the council, neither is Puck, Hope or Pete. So, really only CJ, Kelly, and Pegs( but a smaller role as agriculture).

UndeadSweeper
Jul 26th, 2014, 01:18 PM
Some do, some don't. It depends on who we're talking about. Victor isn't, and Michael's seat is typically vacant. Burt is not on the council, neither is Puck, Hope or Pete. So, really only CJ, Kelly, and Pegs( but a smaller role as agriculture).

You forget Dog and Mr. Whisker, Waste removal and pest control.

werewolf
Jul 26th, 2014, 06:01 PM
has everybody forgot. What about Skittles? sorry if this question is a repeat.

werewolf
Jul 26th, 2014, 06:03 PM
what an ending! did not expect it to go the way it did. i am very glad to be able to have made it to the Live Event, had the best night last night 3199

wish I could have been there. damn it.

werewolf
Jul 26th, 2014, 06:11 PM
Final note for now:

"We're Alive" is not "A Story of Survival".

"We're Alive" is "A Story of Hope".

Good night.

Hope had somewhat of miner part in it...... yea, I know. I was just playing with you.

werewolf
Jul 26th, 2014, 06:21 PM

Skittles was the writer of lost. it was his punishment to go insane for a crappy ending

Storm
Jul 26th, 2014, 07:51 PM
has everybody forgot. What about Skittles? sorry if this question is a repeat.

I was wondering that too, just didn't feel like mentioning him... Lol!

airrunner
Jul 26th, 2014, 08:08 PM
OMG. I've now listened to the finale 6 times. I'm obsessing about the show as much as Tanya obsessed about the zombie origins before she passed away.

Some new thoughts, questions, and observations:

1. How does Scratch know that Riley killed Tardust? Why does she think Tardust would even have come across Riley and Burt? My theory on this is that Scratch has a particular talent for understanding what makes other people tick and how to press their emotional buttons. As much as she was obsessed with taking down Pegs for the final four months of this show she must have assumed Burt was doing the same with her and probably did a good job of covering her tracks. Once Tardust got away from her she figured Burt would eventually come across him and take him prisoner.

2. What the heck is the fan for during Scratch's burial reveal scene? And why does Burt say it's what's keeping her alive? I know nothing about making concrete so I'm guessing it has something to do with that.

3. Saul's last words sound like "Michael. I can see them. You were right. There's more..." Assuming I'm right, was he just referring to Ink's newest creations or were there more Little Ones beyond the 13 we thought had been raised in the Arena?

4. When Michael returns to Dunbar after completing the mission, CJ says that Saul did it. Michael responds in the affirmative and around that time you hear Saul's final words replayed faintly. I thought it was a cool way to indicate what was going through Michael's head as he answered CJ's question.

5. Love that scene between Vic and Nicholas. When Vic said he was cooking Arroz Con Pollo for dinner, I started salivating, and I'm vegetarian. Sounds delicious!

6. Puck notes that Hope is a medic. Is that a civilian or military position? If the latter, does that mean Hope has been trained to shoot weapons? How awesome if she's killed some zombies with a matagun!

7. Lastly, CJ tells Nicholas that the zombies have not died off and that they don't need much food to survive. But during Season 2 when Michael and Pegs swam out to the yacht, they noted that the swimming zombies coming from the island were starving. Does this mean that zombies starve within the same timeframe as a normal human would starve, simply don't die from starvation, or were Michael and Pegs just wrong about those zombies.

Storm
Jul 26th, 2014, 09:55 PM
2. What the heck is the fan for during Scratch's burial reveal scene? And why does Burt say it's what's keeping her alive? I know nothing about making concrete so I'm guessing it has something to do with that.
The way I understood it was that it would bring her air to breathe..........It's not like there's that much in a coffin after all... :)

Gooer
Jul 27th, 2014, 01:44 AM
OMG. I've now listened to the finale 6 times. I'm obsessing about the show as much as Tanya obsessed about the zombie origins before she passed away.

1. How does Scratch know that Riley killed Tardust? Why does she think Tardust would even have come across Riley and Burt? My theory on this is that Scratch has a particular talent for understanding what makes other people tick and how to press their emotional buttons. As much as she was obsessed with taking down Pegs for the final four months of this show she must have assumed Burt was doing the same with her and probably did a good job of covering her tracks. Once Tardust got away from her she figured Burt would eventually come across him and take him prisoner.

3. Saul's last words sound like "Michael. I can see them. You were right. There's more..." Assuming I'm right, was he just referring to Ink's newest creations or were there more Little Ones beyond the 13 we thought had been raised in the Arena?

4. When Michael returns to Dunbar after completing the mission, CJ says that Saul did it. Michael responds in the affirmative and around that time you hear Saul's final words replayed faintly. I thought it was a cool way to indicate what was going through Michael's head as he answered CJ's question.

5. Love that scene between Vic and Nicholas. When Vic said he was cooking Arroz Con Pollo for dinner, I started salivating, and I'm vegetarian. Sounds delicious!

6. Puck notes that Hope is a medic. Is that a civilian or military position? If the latter, does that mean Hope has been trained to shoot weapons? How awesome if she's killed some zombies with a matagun!

7. Lastly, CJ tells Nicholas that the zombies have not died off and that they don't need much food to survive. But during Season 2 when Michael and Pegs swam out to the yacht, they noted that the swimming zombies coming from the island were starving. Does this mean that zombies starve within the same timeframe as a normal human would starve, simply don't die from starvation, or were Michael and Pegs just wrong about those zombies.

1. She could "see it in her eyes". She knew they'd be hunting her down, and with Tardust disappearing, it was mostly obvious.

2. As Storm has already mentioned, it was to bring her air, as she would of used it all up within the enclosed coffin. Also, i don't think Burt made concrete, he just piled rubble and dirt on top of it: he wouldn't of had the spare water to mix it.

3. I think he was saying, "Michael, you were right, you were right.....". I'm not sure what he was meaning by it, but i'm sure someone on here does.

6. Due to her mostly-blindness, she wouldn't of been able to aim far away with any gun. Unless her blindness was cured, which was not mentioned......

7. Think it was either a mutation that let them live with little food, or that they just got thinner due to not eating enough, but continued to live on, like some kind of minor anorexia

LiamKerrington
Jul 27th, 2014, 08:16 AM

1. What Gooer says.
2. The vent might fulfill either of or even both tasks: get fresh air into the coffin and get CO2 out of it. Besides that: Burt mentioned something like "fresh concrete"; I have understood it the way that he not only dropped rubble on top of Scratche's grave, but he also enclosed it with cement in order to make sure that none would be able to free Scratch again.
3. I think this will remain a secrecy for the time being.
4. I agree.
5. I agree.
6. One of the recruits mentions that Hope still is limited in terms of her eyes; so I don't think she received gun-/rifle-/shooting-training.
7. We know that the zeeh-agent changes the human body in many ways. And I hold it as likely that this may include a certain sustainability regarding the necessity to eat stuff. And I also think that the number of zeehs has decreased in such ways that there "normal" or "typical" rules of eco-systems have started to kick in, which would mean that there is enough food available for the remaining zeehs to last for a long time as a species/bread/whatever. We may also safely assume that the zeehs, like the humans, are omnivore and thus are not limited in the choice of food making it more likely for smaller numbers to survive. Besides that: We're Alive is a Story of SURVIVAL ... *g*

Best wishes!
Liam

YetAnotherBloodyCheek
Jul 27th, 2014, 08:40 AM
Gender, race, physical disability, sexual orientation - none of it means anything in a world of survival and that's how it should be.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/7b/P_yes_green.svg/400px-P_yes_green.svg.png

And not only in a story of survival, but everywhere anytime.

Sorry to bomb the party guys. But as long as people are still using these "attributes" as stickers to depreciate people, the situation will not improve in the foreseeable future. Though I wholeheartely agree to your points - I think that some of the prejudices will resurface once again when the social status of the survivors will start to reflect an increasing deversity.

Gooer
Jul 27th, 2014, 09:53 AM
Sorry to bomb the party guys. But as long as people are still using these "attributes" as stickers to depreciate people, the situation will not improve in the foreseeable future. Though I wholeheartely agree to your points - I think that some of the prejudices will resurface once again when the social status of the survivors will start to reflect a increasing deversity.

As long as there are people to remember the differences and slurs, it won't die out.

YetAnotherBloodyCheek
Jul 27th, 2014, 12:56 PM
As long as there are people to remember the differences and slurs, it won't die out.

Yes, I think that it is valid to ask if the future timeline is worth living in. We only got a glimpse at the world in chapter 48.

BrockDenker
Jul 27th, 2014, 12:57 PM
6. One last more general comment about We're Alive, it's depiction of women in roles the typical piece of fiction would normally reserve for men is refreshing. All the best-trained and able-bodied men are sent out to tackle one of the main villains leaving basically a ragtag team of ordinary women (they definitely weren't Project Alice, Sarah Connor or Ripley types) to hold down the fort against the other Big Baddie, who also is a woman. This was done without anyone drawing any special attention to it. Scratch was treated like any other villain would be, including a macabre fate that was warranted by her actions. Pegs, Kelly, Hope, Tanya, and CJ were left to save themselves like any other group of survivors would be. Take any of them out and throw in a different character and I would have been just as worried about their predicament and just as hopeful that they made it out alive. Gender, race, physical disability, sexual orientation - none of it means anything in a world of survival and that's how it should be.

It was refreshing. Every major group seemed to be depicted working towards a common goal. Even the French helped. Thank you once again for several quality years of entertainment. I look forward to what the future holds.

Gooer
Jul 27th, 2014, 02:22 PM
Just remembered.... we never found out if Max was actually executed or not. I mean, it probably did happen, but it was not confirmed......

airrunner
Jul 27th, 2014, 07:33 PM
Just remembered.... we never found out if Max was actually executed or not. I mean, it probably did happen, but it was not confirmed......

I thought the same thing. The reason he might still be alive is that the Mallers were moving as fast as they could to get to Pegs. I mean they didn't even take the time to finish off Pete.

airrunner
Jul 27th, 2014, 07:38 PM
Even the French helped.

Haha...

If Riley is a representative of the French, she gave a good account on behalf of her people. Strong, courageous, fit (including defined abs), highly perceptive when it comes to emotions, excellent culinary skills, superb archery ability, bawdy sense of humor, a little drinking problem, though, but who's perfect?

airrunner
Jul 27th, 2014, 07:45 PM
Another thing I liked about this episode were the callbacks that people have mentioned already and some instances of parallelism.

I noticed two things concerning Scratch.

1) When Burt is talking to Pete on the landline. Pete tells him they need to get Scratch now. He ends with "Kill that bi*ch!" and Burt growls in response, "I WILL!" That is a callback to the scene when CJ is in the Colony hospital trying to rescue Burt. Burt, from within his cell, says "whoever you are, shoot that bi*ch!" and CJ shouts "I WILL!"

2) As for the parallelism (or maybe one could call it a callback):

When Scratch spots Burt lying on the ground after the fall of the Tower he tries to reach for Shirley on the ground next to him. Scratch kicks it away and then moments later knocks Burt out.

When Burt spots Scratch lying on the ground after falling from Dunbar Tower she tries to crawl on the ground for the gun. Burt kicks it away. Later Scratch reaches for her knife in her boot and Burt knocks her out.

airrunner
Jul 27th, 2014, 08:59 PM
One last post (sorry to monopolize).

This one has to do with the uplifting/crowd-pleasing tone of the finale. I remember while listening to all of the WND podcasts nikvoodoo kept pointing out that zombie fictions never end on a positive note. I agree with his assessment and certainly where "We're Alive!" ends is a completely different place than "The Walking Dead" (comic book series). The former makes survival seem more difficult (so long as their are Smart Ones out there) whereas the latter makes survival seem pretty manageable. But the former ends with a feeling of hope for the human race where the vibe of the latter is of despair and resignation that no matter what you do, everyone will ultimately end up dying. A similar phenomenon is true for Romero's "Night of the Dead" series and the "28 Days Later" series. Even though none of the zombies in those mythologies are as scary as the We're Alive special ones, their tone is pessimistic about the future of humanity.

So once again KC broke with convention by having the majority of the main characters survive in the end and I'm happier because of it. it's clear to me that the strength of "We're Alive" lies in the rich development of its characters. The zombie apocalypse subject matter (with a twist) while important, is not what kept me coming back for more. I think KC said in an interview how difficult it is for him to kill off one of his characters and I think it showed. We didn't have to deal with that many deaths and so when they happened the deaths were incredibly emotional and powerful (I cried during 42-3 and 44-3 like I haven't cried for anything else in a long time, even in my real life). I'm glad most of the heroes survived. I like to think that most of these folks I have come to know on such a personal level are still out there somewhere, fighting to stay alive.

But back to my first point, most zombie fiction I see tends to devolve into a critique about humans like "as bad as the zombies are the humans are worse to each other" or the "zombies are really a reflection of the worst that humanity has to offer" In contrast "We're Alive" is very pro-humanity. I feel empowered that we can overcome anything (with a few bad apples like the Mallers to contend with) and continue to survive. And thus I totally dig the optimistic ending to this series.

LiamKerrington
Jul 28th, 2014, 01:50 AM
airrunner:

Keep it spinning. There is nothing to worry about; if you monopolize, go ahead, just because. If no one else steps up with his/her/its thoughts, so be it.

Your final reflection about the overall "theme" of We're Alive wraps it up very good. But I need to disagree with - no, not so much with you, but with Nikvoodoo - : Not all Zombie-Stories necessarily end up negatively. The best example would be World War Z - no matter, if you look at the book or the movie, which is very different from the book. But both versions of WWZ end up with a positive prospect, though traumatized through the events of the zombocalypse as far as it went. So WWZ was kind of a milestone in the zombie-genre, as it showed the possibility of the survival of the humans.

Kc did an amazing job displaying the bad, mean, even worse than that sides of the humans during the zombocalypse. There was a lot of desperation and actions based on that as well as willfull and planned mayhem humans deploid against each other. And sometimes it even raised the question of acts justifying the means. With some decisions of Kc's writing I would not want to agree; and sometimes I really have a hard time not to become hypocritical - for example if it comes to Burt, who I really enjoyed listening to on the upside, but some of his actions I simply cannot agree with on the downside (especially the final grave-thing with Scratch, 'cause it simply is inhuman and makes Burt a messenger of the death-sentence (edit: exaggeration /edit), which I cannot accept on any term).

Besides things like this I am very happy about Kc's story, because after all it remained THE Story of Survical although there was a lot of pain involved.

Best wishes!
Liam

nikvoodoo
Jul 28th, 2014, 09:33 AM
airrunner:

Your final reflection about the overall "theme" of We're Alive wraps it up very good. But I need to disagree with - no, not so much with you, but with Nikvoodoo - : Not all Zombie-Stories necessarily end up negatively.

Ok fine. So there are TWO stories that end on a positive note. Two. Sheesh.

And 28 Days Later.... ok so there are three. Three exceptions....

YetAnotherBloodyCheek
Jul 28th, 2014, 09:39 AM
And 28 Days Later.... ok so there are three. Three exceptions....

Well, um, nope. 28 Days Later led to 28 Weeks Later which led to Paris being overrun by zombies.

nikvoodoo
Jul 28th, 2014, 10:00 AM
Well, um, nope. 28 Days Later led to 28 Weeks Later which led to Paris being overrun by zombies.
minor details. Besides, the ransacking of Paris isn't in 28 Days Later. We're getting off topic though. WA Rocks. :p

airrunner
Jul 28th, 2014, 07:49 PM
(especially the final grave-thing with Scratch, 'cause it simply is inhuman and makes Burt a messenger of the death-sentence, which I cannot accept on any term).

Hmm... I didn't get this from Burt. I didn't take his actions against Scratch as evidence of a larger pro-death penalty stance for either him or the show. Actually the show is ambivalent about what it would have done with Scratch given that Pegs did not want to kill Scratch once it was clear she was helpless even if Burt and Riley did. And as for Burt, on the one hand, the notion that certain people's offenses are punishable by death wouldn't phase him, but on the other hand, he's anti-authority and anti-establishment so I doubt he'd want a governing entity to have the power to decide who deserves capital punishment and who doesn't.

In any case this specific instance of Burt killing and emotionally torturing Scratch is all within the context of his desire for revenge for what she did to him. Objectively speaking nobody (that we know of) has suffered as much at the hands of Scratch than Burt. He was starved for four months, had the symbol of his beloved wife pulverized, and lost his primary trigger finger (when we already learned in Chapter 13 that Burt feels helpless and scared if he can't use his firearms). And he knew that the torture would never let up and there would never be away out of it until he came clean about the whereabouts of the rest of the Tower folk, which had to have inflicted emotional pain to Burt on top of the physical. We also know from Burt himself that after the loss of Shirley and his finger the ONLY thing that kept him living was the dream that he could take revenge against Scratch somehow. Burt's desire to kill Scratch was completely personal to him.

I don't think Burt has any illusion that what he did to Scratch is morally acceptable from a societal perspective. He actively dissuades Riley from her plan to kill Scratch because he wants her moral compass to remain pure. In fact when Riley began to embrace the concept of torturing Tardust in order to get information from Scratch, Burt specifically asked her if she wanted to go down that road. He also tried to stop her from shooting Tardust when he was goading her. It's clear to me that Burt views himself as damaged (probably from his time in Vietnam) and that he knows he is capable of doing dark things if angered or hurt enough, but that doesn't mean he wants other people to behave similarly.

Put it another way, I'm not convinced that Burt on an abstract level would condone what he did to Scratch out of revenge but I think he accepts that it's something that works for him, given whatever life events he's had to experience, because he is not a morally pure person.

LIke you, Liam, I do not support the death penalty at the societal level. But I can't judge Burt for what he was compelled to do against Scratch.

Hope that makes some sense as I thought I had a clearer idea of what I wanted to say before I started responding. :)

--Eric

airrunner
Jul 28th, 2014, 08:07 PM
Okay after yet another listen through, I had to offer some Hope love from this finale.

For once her petulant attitude may have helped save the day. As CJ explains to Pegs what she needs to do to get herself, Hope and Nick out of danger, Pegs is reluctant. First she has to shoot a gun down the stairway to stop the Mallers from advancing towards her. She does not want to do it because of her distaste for guns and for shooting at people, but Hope snaps her into action: "You heard her. Go!!" Later on Pegs is waiting to give the signal to release the CS cannisters on the Mallers and Hope again forces her to stop hesitating and act: "Then do it already!"

(As a rule if someone talked to me in that tone of voice, I'd snap back at them, but Pegs needed the metaphorical slap in the face to get her to move. Haha.)

And then at the end Scratch orders Hope twice to come up the steps and hand Nick over to her. Hope says "no" with this perfect tone of defiance. That is incredible for a 14-year-old girl to do staring straight into the eyes of a crazed killer. I was very proud of her. :)

And while I'm handing out the love, I liked the side of Pegs I heard when Scratch starts threatening to take the baby ("No. You stay the f*ck away from him!"). I'm not sure I've heard her speak with such authority except maybe when she was piloting the pelican.

GeneraLee
Jul 29th, 2014, 12:16 AM
Hmm... I didn't get this from Burt. I didn't take his actions against Scratch as evidence of a larger pro-death penalty stance for either him or the show. Actually the show is ambivalent about what it would have done with Scratch given that Pegs did not want to kill Scratch once it was clear she was helpless even if Burt and Riley did. And as for Burt, on the one hand, the notion that certain people's offenses are punishable by death wouldn't phase him, but on the other hand, he's anti-authority and anti-establishment so I doubt he'd want a governing entity to have the power to decide who deserves capital punishment and who doesn't.

In any case this specific instance of Burt killing and emotionally torturing Scratch is all within the context of his desire for revenge for what she did to him. Objectively speaking nobody (that we know of) has suffered as much at the hands of Scratch than Burt. He was starved for four months, had the symbol of his beloved wife pulverized, and lost his primary trigger finger (when we already learned in Chapter 13 that Burt feels helpless and scared if he can't use his firearms). And he knew that the torture would never let up and there would never be away out of it until he came clean about the whereabouts of the rest of the Tower folk, which had to have inflicted emotional pain to Burt on top of the physical. We also know from Burt himself that after the loss of Shirley and his finger the ONLY thing that kept him living was the dream that he could take revenge against Scratch somehow. Burt's desire to kill Scratch was completely personal to him.

I don't think Burt has any illusion that what he did to Scratch is morally acceptable from a societal perspective. He actively dissuades Riley from her plan to kill Scratch because he wants her moral compass to remain pure. In fact when Riley began to embrace the concept of torturing Tardust in order to get information from Scratch, Burt specifically asked her if she wanted to go down that road. He also tried to stop her from shooting Tardust when he was goading her. It's clear to me that Burt views himself as damaged (probably from his time in Vietnam) and that he knows he is capable of doing dark things if angered or hurt enough, but that doesn't mean he wants other people to behave similarly.

Put it another way, I'm not convinced that Burt on an abstract level would condone what he did to Scratch out of revenge but I think he accepts that it's something that works for him, given whatever life events he's had to experience, because he is not a morally pure person.

LIke you, Liam, I do not support the death penalty at the societal level. But I can't judge Burt for what he was compelled to do against Scratch.

Hope that makes some sense as I thought I had a clearer idea of what I wanted to say before I started responding. :)

--Eric

Dang Eric/Airrunner... Only 11 posts, but every one of them is like spot on. One thing to add to what you're saying... Burt's moral compass is still damaged in the epilogue. He says to Nick something along the lines of "Revenge never makes the pain go away"... He still suffers for what he did to her. The reasons him doing it are all properly motivated- she did take away everything that made him happy, and trust me that wasn't much. This disaster may have re-ignited his soul, but he was suffering before.

And what else could he have done? If Scratch was let to live, the future could have been much darker. It's the same as the Z's... it had to be done. He shouldered the burden of her death himself. But he also couldn't just execute her- maybe because the direct action was actually too hard to do for him. It's not a firefight Scratch dies in. In a way, it's killing from a distance. Smashing the radio also severs any type of conscious dilemma when she gets desperate and dying in there. He knows this is going to hurt him as well as her.

It's a dark fate for her, but is no worse than what she subjected others to. One of our Hero's could have sacrificed part of their soul for the sake of others, while at the same time divided by the amount of personal suffering and thirst for revenge. It's a very complex character motivation.

LiamKerrington
Jul 29th, 2014, 01:49 AM
Hmm... I didn't get this from Burt. I didn't take his actions against Scratch as evidence of a larger pro-death penalty stance for either him or the show. ... LIke you, Liam, I do not support the death penalty at the societal level. But I can't judge Burt for what he was compelled to do against Scratch.

--Eric

Hi.

Again and it's getting usual for you: Your analytical mind is incredible.

With my death-sentence I exaggerated, and my statement needs to be set into a "meta-level-understanding". I live by such standards, that I cannot accept any killing of a human being no matter what he or she has done before that. But that does not mean that I don't understand why people do it. All the reasons you have mentioned about Burt, why he has killed Scratch, make perfect sense; and I won't or cannot blame him for doing so. And from a "lyrical" point of view it is even important for the story that the epitome of evil within the human community must be removed by whatever means in order to give the story a positive prospect; so even from that angle it makes more than just sense that Scratch was killed by Burt. I see that, I understand that, but regardless: on a meta-level I consider Scratch a human and thus cannot accept it, when I look beyond the realm of the WA story. (I tend to make things complicated, because even elements of pop-cultural might have an impact on how someone views the real world, which is why I cannot skip this level of thought as well.)

Best wishes!
Liam

SmokeyZombified
Jul 29th, 2014, 09:11 AM
Ok so where is it? It's not in my podcast feed? Don't have a card (I can't trust myself to have a credit card haha) so I can't buy it early and apparently I'm the only one who hasn't gotten to listen to it!!

Kc
Jul 29th, 2014, 09:53 AM
Ok so where is it? It's not in my podcast feed? Don't have a card (I can't trust myself to have a credit card haha) so I can't buy it early and apparently I'm the only one who hasn't gotten to listen to it!!

It streams at 6 pm.

SmokeyZombified
Jul 29th, 2014, 10:08 AM
Damn I'll be at work! Thanks KC I think I just misread the news, I thought it said the 28th not the 29th

pmchawk
Jul 29th, 2014, 08:23 PM
😰 I'm torn on how I feel about the finale! Why why why?!?

alabarrie
Jul 29th, 2014, 09:01 PM
Michigan in the house!

airrunner
Jul 29th, 2014, 09:26 PM
Your analytical mind is incredible.

Thanks again Liam. I'm a lawyer by trade. I'm a big fan of Kelly as a result. I also like CJ, her attention to details, and how her mind is always churning coming up with a Plan A, B, C, D, E...etc -- she always wants to have options going forward no matter what decision she has made in the past. In fact, when I'm dealing with anxious or stressful situations, recently, I've been asking myself "what would CJ do?" to help me get through them.

ansatsusha80
Jul 29th, 2014, 10:36 PM
The words can't describe how I will miss this podcast.

There been a few times I dislike a chapter and then the next one it blows my mind......this is one of my favorite podcast of all time..

KC you did a magnificent job with the series and I can't wait for the next project

Nido
Jul 30th, 2014, 02:32 AM
😰 I'm torn on how I feel about the finale! Why why why?!?

It was bittersweet for me....why Saul why? Lol

Cardiac Thug
Jul 30th, 2014, 04:18 AM
Will the Q & A be recorded so we can listen to it?

LiamKerrington
Jul 30th, 2014, 04:55 AM

If I am not all wrong, something like this was being mentioned during the Q & A. But I guess there will be some editing in order to remove delays and noise and stuff ...

Storm
Jul 30th, 2014, 08:44 AM
Looks like it's downloadable from the place that streamed it... Works for me at least. I tried recording it too, but due to a few refreshings of the page now and then I lost a few minutes... Gotta relisten to it one day. Hehe. I stayed up all night to be sure to get it, went to bed around 9AM or so.

I'm sooo glad that someone asked him about the petroglyph... I'm minus glad that Kc didn't give his source for it though. Lol. I'd love to know more.

cringebot
Jul 30th, 2014, 11:21 AM
I was worried I wouldn't be satisfied by the conclusion of this epic listening adventure, but I am. It's been years waiting for this moment and I'm slowly coming to the realization that it's over. It's bitter sweet. The aftermath and closing story was just as imaginative as the whole series, it kind of reminded me of Attack On Titan. I really, really loved it. Well done KC, cast, and friends. I wish you much success in your future endeavors. Thanks for allowing us to tag along for free and letting us into such a creative experience. True Artists, all if you. Peace!

facebook.com/alexinks
Jul 30th, 2014, 12:11 PM
a sketch of a moment from the finale.

alexcadtek
Jul 30th, 2014, 01:22 PM
I knew Burt would get her, like I said before he can handle it. Burt never fails and when he does he shoots it in the face. I am also glad that my guy VICTOR! Survived, Saul on the other hand was kind of a surprise because after all he went through he didn’t survive, but he got to KILL BILL! aka pin stripe suite. Thanks to KC and the whole cast, this was so awesome! I am definitely waiting for the next project which is probably the continuation to We're Alive! Write? No really am I write? There better be another story! What the hell am I going to do at work now!!!!!!!!!! LOL Thanks to my boy Victor for making bomb ass arroz con pollo and putting down for the RAZA!
VICTOR IS TO MUCH MACHO ALL THE TIME! TO MUCH A! TO MUCH! ORALE

alexcadtek
Jul 30th, 2014, 01:24 PM
Wish Tanaya didnt Die! and what happend to pete I think is his name, the one that Burt called and he told burt that they where getting attacked. I think that fool must have died because I didn here nobody go pick him up or I didnt here him in the ending when everything was over. thats messed up left the dude stranded and bleeding. LOL

DagnyTag
Jul 30th, 2014, 01:54 PM
I am pretty sure Pete survived. You can hear him over a loud speaker doing a promotion for his store at the colony. Its around the 53 minute mark.

Gooer
Jul 30th, 2014, 01:58 PM
Wish Tanaya didnt Die! and what happend to pete I think is his name, the one that Burt called and he told burt that they where getting attacked. I think that fool must have died because I didn here nobody go pick him up or I didnt here him in the ending when everything was over. thats messed up left the dude stranded and bleeding. LOL

Didn't you hear the giant PA in the background when Vic was with Nicholas....?

SmokeyZombified
Jul 30th, 2014, 02:20 PM
Absolutely epic, loved the ending! Burt's voice when he says "I will" after Pete told him to kill the bitch put chills down my spine. Robbins had a kid!! His legacy lives on!! Yes!! Thank you KC for giving us such a fantastically written and acted masterpiece of entertainment. I look forward to the side stories!

alexcadtek
Jul 30th, 2014, 02:37 PM
Didn't you hear the giant PA in the background when Vic was with Nicholas....?

NO I didnt, I guess I am going to have to go all the way to chapter one and start all over again, dang it. LOL

Gooer
Jul 30th, 2014, 04:21 PM
NO I didnt, I guess I am going to have to go all the way to chapter one and start all over again, dang it. LOL

Well, i mean, if you want to go that deep, sure.

But, if you want to save 49 hours of your life for something else less important than We're Alive, you could go to 52:50 of chapter 48 to listen to it.....

LiamKerrington
Jul 31st, 2014, 12:18 AM
I knew Burt would get her, like I said before he can handle it. Burt never fails and when he does he shoots it in the face. I am also glad that my guy VICTOR! Survived, Saul on the other hand was kind of a surprise because after all he went through he didn’t survive, but he got to KILL BILL! aka pin stripe suite. Thanks to KC and the whole cast, this was so awesome! I am definitely waiting for the next project which is probably the continuation to We're Alive! Write? No really am I write? There better be another story! What the hell am I going to do at work now!!!!!!!!!! LOL Thanks to my boy Victor for making bomb ass arroz con pollo and putting down for the RAZA!
VICTOR IS TO MUCH MACHO ALL THE TIME! TO MUCH A! TO MUCH! ORALE

During the Q&A after the last life-event Kc said that the "Tales froM We're Alive" are certainly the next things to hit the community; but in the meantime he has several other "kinda Science Fiction" stories prepared which require some more work, before they get released.

At least that is what I have understood.

So, yes, the next project - if you like to call it that - will be We're Alive. Which is awesome.

LiamKerrington
Jul 31st, 2014, 12:20 AM

*snip*
What others have said ... Pete's alive.

LiamKerrington
Jul 31st, 2014, 12:21 AM

Best thing you can do during your sparetime.

Gooer
Jul 31st, 2014, 12:32 AM
Best thing you can do during your sparetime.

*Wipes away tear* I have to agree.....

alexcadtek
Jul 31st, 2014, 06:53 AM
[QUOTE=LiamKerrington;78929]Best thing you can do during your sparetime.[/QUOTE

Roger that!

madmungo
Jul 31st, 2014, 06:56 AM
I am enjoying reading through the posts. I wanted to pick up on a previous comment of mine where I said that Scratch's voice character was not as strong as the writing made her out to be. In my opinion, Jenna did an amazing job in Chapters 47-8 where her acting was flawless. A good strong reading and thoroughly believable. It must be difficult to be the universally 'hated' character in the story... well, apart from a few of you crazies that just love her!

Great job, thank you Jenna.

YetAnotherBloodyCheek
Jul 31st, 2014, 07:15 AM
Scratch lives.

LiamKerrington
Jul 31st, 2014, 09:15 AM
I am enjoying reading through the posts. I wanted to pick up on a previous comment of mine where I said that Scratch's voice character was not as strong as the writing made her out to be. In my opinion, Jenna did an amazing job in Chapters 47-8 where her acting was flawless. A good strong reading and thoroughly believable. It must be difficult to be the universally 'hated' character in the story... well, apart from a few of you crazies that just love her!

It's crazy not to love Scratch ...

Gooer
Jul 31st, 2014, 12:39 PM

I just love how EVIL she is.....

GamerGirl
Jul 31st, 2014, 01:23 PM
minor details. Besides, the ransacking of Paris isn't in 28 Days Later. We're getting off topic though. WA Rocks. :p

I thought 28 Days latter only had a happy ending in the American release ('cause aparently we need rainbows & butterflies in all or movies).

Someone told me that the UK ending killed off there was no rescue.

I haven't seen it as I dislike a lot of gore ior zombie stories heavy on the zombies.......