PDA

View Full Version : The WA Finale, Download Early?

Kc
Apr 25th, 2014, 02:42 PM
Should we have the Finale available early, say even the night of the finale, IF they pay? I've been approached by a few people who want to do that, but I'm curious what you think.

Osiris
Apr 25th, 2014, 02:47 PM
Nah, man. Fuck that. If we can't be there to hear it, then we don't get to hear it early. What kind of thanks is that to the people who made the trek all the way across country (convoy-ho) to stand there and say, "Oh yeah... it's also available for early download now for the low, low price of $5.99!" If you're going to do something like that, do an exclusive supplemental episode or chapter that everyone can download through bandcamp or something. Something available to everyone, but doesn't detract from the special thank you to the people who were able to come out and support the cast and crew in their final hurrah.

In the immortal words of Ming Chen (@mingchen37) "They can wait."

Kc
Apr 25th, 2014, 02:49 PM
Nah, man. Fuck that. If we can't be there to hear it, then we don't get to hear it early. What kind of thanks is that to the people who made the trek all the way across country (convoy-ho) to stand there and say, "Oh yeah... it's also available for early download now for the low, low price of $5.99!" If you're going to do something like that, do an exclusive supplemental episode or chapter that everyone can download through bandcamp or something. Something available to everyone, but doesn't detract from the special thank you to the people who were able to come out and support the cast and crew in their final hurrah.

In the immortal words of Ming Chen (@mingchen37) "They can wait."

Would you feel the same if we offered it a week early then planned for $5? Right now the finale is set to stream on the 29th of July, so maybe the 22nd or 21st.

Osiris
Apr 25th, 2014, 03:17 PM
Would you feel the same if we offered it a week early then planned for $5? Right now the finale is set to stream on the 29th of July, so maybe the 22nd or 21st.

I would feel exactly the same way. I mean... it's like... here, you can listen to it a week early for $5 or just wait a week and listen for free... like you were going to do anyway. You'd be better off doing a bonus pod (Kelly and Victor's lost sex scene) for cash.

LiamKerrington
Apr 25th, 2014, 04:21 PM
First thought was: Yes, why not. But not in a way that the special life-event would be nullified. I see the bonus and benefit for you as the producer from allowing WA Fans to get it a little earlier than what would be the real schedule (ie 29th July life, 2nd August for sale, 5th August free download), which means: you could create a little cash from people willingly paying for something although they could get it for free.

Then I have read what Osiris is saying; and I have realized he spoke in line with my heart about it.

And I really like Osi's idea about providing a special WA episode available for a few bucks or quid or Dollars - like a collection of special scenes that did not make it into the final cut, or out-takes about hilarious or enjoyable moments from your production, or some secrets and insights from 5 years of WA awesomeness that have not been mentioned in interviews yet.

Best wishes!
Liam

Gooer
Apr 25th, 2014, 04:30 PM
Hmm....Kinda stuck on this one. While i would love, and i mean, LOVE, to hear it close to/when the others listen to it, as i wouldn't want to wait a week, and be in the loop, it would be bit of a kick in the nuts for the people who made their way to the finale event. Despite being given the live reading, they are there for the final episode too, so...... Could possibly up the price of the "special VIP advance copy", to like $10-15? But still has the same problems......

Kc
Apr 25th, 2014, 04:55 PM
Put it this way... whatever profits we bring in at this point will help launch the next project... [insert mysterious tone here], which is the only reason we're considering it at this point.

While I think having bonus content would be nice, there's just no time before the finale. We might be able to do something on the store in a bundle... like get the episode and all the ringtones, and maybe a new ringtone pack?

EDIT: OR! Hey, there's a chance we might be able to do a music bundle for the stuff that we had custom scored...

7oddisdead
Apr 25th, 2014, 05:02 PM
Personally, id say the following Monday. Still mostly a week early for those who want to pay, but not really spoiling the live event dramatics or what have you...

one thing that has concerned me is people trying to keep quiet for a week(people at the live event) I know that's a minor thing...but for those tooooooo curious. Pay five bucks...get it Monday. Win win in my eyes

Osiris
Apr 25th, 2014, 05:06 PM
Put it this way... whatever profits we bring in at this point will help launch the next project... [insert mysterious tone here], which is the only reason we're considering it at this point.

While I think having bonus content would be nice, there's just no time before the finale. We might be able to do something on the store in a bundle... like get the episode and all the ringtones, and maybe a new ringtone pack?

EDIT: OR! Hey, there's a chance we might be able to do a music bundle for the stuff that we had custom scored...

Offering up the OST would be a good one. Consider putting together a dvd or all the live reading events and release it next year for xmas? Or maybe a bonus pod in which the cast just sits around and shares their final thoughts.

Litmaster
Apr 25th, 2014, 05:18 PM
Should we have the Finale available early, say even the night of the finale, IF they pay? I've been approached by a few people who want to do that, but I'm curious what you think.

No fucking way! I'm with Osiris on this one.

So we're going to spend over a grand getting all the way out to LA for the final event, only to have it made available online anyway for 5 bucks?!??

If you're more concerned about raising funds for your next project, we'd be more than happy to help with that. But don't fuck up the final event after you've already laid down the basic ground rules! I think everyone who hears it a week early will be cool and not spill the beans ahead of time... I can vouch for myself, at least.

Not sure what is motivating your inquiry, but I'm not psyched about it... :nik:

abayarts
Apr 25th, 2014, 06:10 PM
Sorry, i voted "Yes! $5 isn't unreasonable, since it will be available free later." only because I read it wrong. Haha. I totally agree with Osiris on this one.

Osiris
Apr 25th, 2014, 06:37 PM
I totally appreciate Kc's willingness to entertain the idea of giving everyone a shot at getting it early though.

Kc
Apr 26th, 2014, 12:13 AM
Lit- yeah, night of is out of the question. That was just an option to put out there to try and poll to the two extremes. But, do you think that it could be something to do early? And if so, how long?

Storm
Apr 26th, 2014, 06:32 AM
Two days maybe? I'd gladly pay to get it earlier. I don't know what it would cost for me to come to the live event, since I live in Denmark, but it would probably be more than I can afort at the moment... I would love to show up however...
I don't really know though, I guess people could also wait that extra week to get it for free, but meh...
I love the idea of making some extra content/stuff that fans can buy though.

Litmaster
Apr 26th, 2014, 08:30 AM
Lit- yeah, night of is out of the question. That was just an option to put out there to try and poll to the two extremes. But, do you think that it could be something to do early? And if so, how long?

Well, if you want to use it as a means to generate extra cash, then I guess I'll go with Todd and say the Monday after the live event (what's that... the 21st?). After thinking it over, I'm not bothered by the fact that other people will get to listen to it early who didn't go to the live event--many who would like to go aren't able to, after all.

The biggest reasons I'm going to the live event don't have to do with listening to the finale early, actually. Even if it weren't being offered, I'd still want to go to LA and attend the live event, mostly to meet other fans in person and have fun on a cross-country road trip. The 'listening early' thing is just icing on the cake for me.

So yeah, I'll go with Todd and say that you should put it online on Monday, July 21st, for those who want to pay 5 bucks to hear it early. :nik:

Kc
Apr 26th, 2014, 09:45 AM
Well, if you want to use it as a means to generate extra cash, then I guess I'll go with Todd and say the Monday after the live event (what's that... the 21st?). After thinking it over, I'm not bothered by the fact that other people will get to listen to it early who didn't go to the live event--many who would like to go aren't able to, after all.

The biggest reasons I'm going to the live event don't have to do with listening to the finale early, actually. Even if it weren't being offered, I'd still want to go to LA and attend the live event, mostly to meet other fans in person and have fun on a cross-country road trip. The 'listening early' thing is just icing on the cake for me.

So yeah, I'll go with Todd and say that you should put it online on Monday, July 21st, for those who want to pay 5 bucks to hear it early. :nik:

Ok, cool. So I think most people are in a consensus that Monday the 21st is the earliest to release it then? The live event is still the premiere, and then this would be next in line the following Monday. The streaming event will still most likely be a cool thing because there will be a live talk show afterwards for a Q and A. Still, cool things to come :)

turbo
Apr 26th, 2014, 10:45 AM
The 21st sounds like a good idea.

Eviebae
Apr 26th, 2014, 09:25 PM
I just want to say that I'm not going to the premiere because I CAN'T! You who are going to be able to go are getting something I can't have even if I listened to it the night of. It would make me feel included and less sad to listen to it the day of.

Eviebae
Apr 26th, 2014, 09:26 PM
Oh, and I'd pay $25 to hear it the day of

Storm
Apr 27th, 2014, 02:29 AM
Oh, and I'd pay $25 to hear it the day of

Funny... Cause I have a feeling I'd be willing to do that as well... Lol!

Gooer
Apr 27th, 2014, 04:07 AM
Yea, personally, $5 might not be enough to get an advanced hearing of it. It'll be like seeing a film before it's publicly released: the ticket would cost more (at least i think, haven't been to one in the UK) for the privilege to see it before others can....... maybe $10 at least....?

Eviebae
Apr 27th, 2014, 08:13 AM
Maybe it would be good to allow for people to pay more if they want? Maybe subsidize others? Thinking it through; if I couldn't afford to pay anything, I would still get to listen to it for free eventually--and donations aside, it's been an excellent free ride. I just wish I could go or be involved in some way

Gooer
Apr 27th, 2014, 10:46 AM
Not sure how they will do it...... If they gave people who pay a password for the download, like it was with the special 45-1 episode Kc gave us, i would of thought someone could give it out over the internet..... But i'm sure they have a idea that will work securely..... I don't have the knowledge to know those sort of things haha

Hellbringer
Apr 27th, 2014, 02:34 PM
I'm not on here vocally as much as I used to be, or in the main threads much, but I do try to break away from work/college/fam to read comments.

I like the idea of an earlier than free release. If I were moving in the opposite direction because of my job around the time of the finale, I'd put forth a huge effort to get out and see it in person. But, since I must go to the east coast, I'd be willing to plop down 10 bucks for access to it before it's released through normal podcast feeds.

I think that's the biggest thing I'm trying to say: (taking a page from Bobby Kotick) "premium" access a week or so early, but not on the night of the live event.

clem131
Apr 28th, 2014, 03:22 PM
I think it would detract from the live event: the live event is a once in a lifetime experience, it should be unique and thus the only way to actually get to hear it in advance.

Eviebae
Apr 28th, 2014, 05:17 PM
Could you who are going keep notes and write accounts of the event? Like details and stuff? I'd love LOVE to read or watch video of someone's personal account.

thisonegirl
Apr 28th, 2014, 05:22 PM
Could you who are going keep notes and write accounts of the event? Like details and stuff? I'd love LOVE to read or watch video of someone's personal account.

I had thought about doing something similar to that. If I do decide on it, I will let you know.

Storm
Apr 28th, 2014, 05:41 PM
I think it would detract from the live event: the live event is a once in a lifetime experience, it should be unique and thus the only way to actually get to hear it in advance.

What about all the fans WHO live outside the US and can't just go there even if they wanted to? I'm not even in a mood to find out what it would cost me to fly through nine time zones and back just for a few hours of epic awesomeness...
Besides, the live event is more than just the last chapter, you know that? If you can pay to get that earlier you still don't get the live performance of 47 and what else is going on there...
(EDIT)
I Just saw your location... My answer's still the same though... Going all logic on the poll question though I do get your point... But nah... I'm probably just sad because I'm not going there... :D
(/EDIT)

Alizée
Apr 28th, 2014, 05:53 PM
I just want to say that I'm not going to the premiere because I CAN'T! You who are going to be able to go are getting something I can't have even if I listened to it the night of. It would make me feel included and less sad to listen to it the day of.

Monday the 21st sounds great to me. Although I'm with Eviebae about not being able to go, I'm also kind of relieved that I can't. It would be an incredible experience but I'm probably going to be a disgusting, sobbing mess by the end of it.
Event staff: Ma'am ... could you please move your feet so we can mop up this puddle of tears?
Me: I JUST HAVE A LOT OF FEELINGS OKAY

Kc
Apr 28th, 2014, 10:44 PM
I think we're going to go with Monday the 21st to release it online. That way it doesn't detract from the finale event, and it's not too long to wait. That will let us raise a few extra bucks for the next project, and also let people have something early. I bet some people who go to the finale might buy this as well if we do a bundle version.

Merlin1274
Apr 29th, 2014, 08:23 AM
I like the Idea.. But maybe do a Video Stream for More Money a couple days later Like that monday.. No offense to the travelers but there are plenty of us who would love to go to the premier but are in one way or another not able to make that trip. Meaning the cost, Work, family issues, health, etc. I would go in a Heart beat but due to lack of funds because of other things I can not control, I can not go.. But $25.00 to see a live stream is not too much.. Plus if it helps future awesomeness like this then I will do it.

To see it live in person would be the best experience and to those of us that would watch it or listen to it on our PC would not be able to compare to that experience.
Plus to have a Video of the Finale would be awesome to watch 5-10 years down the road.

Jannit
Apr 29th, 2014, 11:53 AM
While my gut reaction was to vote for the first option just because I really like the idea of being able to watch the event online, I don't think it should be available for $5. I'm with the others on that one. If someone is willing to dish out $100 or something then maybe they should be able to do it. If you do decide to do it, make us pay dearly for it. Perhaps you can have a price for those who will pay $100 - $150 to watch it via livestream on the night of and then a lower price the following Monday?

It's been said before but there are a ton of things that you just won't get from watching it on livestream which, in my opinion, may balance out part of the price people have paid to see it live: There's no after party, there's no meeting the cast, there is no getting to meet fellow forum goers, etc. I'd love to have been able to attend in person but that's just not possible with the commitments I've got at the moment.

I guess I see it as similar to what Blizzard does with Blizzcon. You can dish out the money for a the full experience of attending live or pay much less to get access to the livestream. They're not the same by any stretch of the imagination but you do get what you pay for.

Footbutt
Apr 29th, 2014, 12:03 PM

i'm cheap, so i'm willing to wait to get it for free.... and then buy the COMPLETE SERIES for BIG $$$!!!!

seriously, i'm DYING to hear the finale, but i can wait like i always have.

what i NEED is an awesome complete series thingy that i can pay you tons of money for.

Gnex
Apr 29th, 2014, 12:19 PM
I voted for Turtles because the option was there and I love turtles!!!

But I think Offering the show for $5 on the following Monday is the best thing to do if you are going to do that.

The live event will still be special due to the fact that the cast will be there, there is going to be a party, meet and greet, etc, etc, etc..... There is a whole lot more going on than just the show portion......

I also like the fact of being able to contribute to the future works that KC has in store..... Some of us may have wanted to go to the live event but either live to far away, tickets sold out, can't get off from work, etc, etc.....

I love the whole project, the cast/crew, the community, and everything about WA....... In the end I can wait it out if I have to, but having an option to get it somewhat earlier, but still after the Live Event sounds like a fair trade.....

Now...... someone make a WA Turtle plush and sell it for $20!!!! :britt:

Kc
Apr 29th, 2014, 12:22 PM
One of the reasons we can't sell the livestream is because we can't guarantee it'll work 100%. It has cut out in the past, and so a paid model for that isn't an option for us for that. BUT we are looking to have most of the beginning of the event up to the end of Chapter 47 streamed live.

Jannit
Apr 29th, 2014, 12:28 PM
One of the reasons we can't sell the livestream is because we can't guarantee it'll work 100%. It has cut out in the past, and so a paid model for that isn't an option for us for that. BUT we are looking to have most of the beginning of the event up to the end of Chapter 47 streamed live.

Ah, okay. That makes a lot of sense. Pity it's not an option but it is understandable!

For the early payment option, would it be possible to let people decide how much to pay for early access with the minimum being $5? Given it's funds to help with new projects you might get people pitching in a bit extra. Just an idea.

7oddisdead
Apr 29th, 2014, 12:40 PM
Just throwing this out there...but have you looked into patreon at all? Could be a good way to help with funding in the future, and unless I'm mistaken it gives you a list of those who donate at the 5.00 and above level. Shoot those folks an email with a code for the finale, badda Bing bang...boom. Its really worked well for those who have jumped the tWIT ship recently, might be an option here.

Merlin1274
Apr 29th, 2014, 04:51 PM

Why can you not record the finale and put it up for viewing later? As mentioned in my prior post.. That would be worth having for a few bucks more, to me at least.

Kc
Apr 29th, 2014, 05:14 PM
Why can you not record the finale and put it up for viewing later? As mentioned in my prior post.. That would be worth having for a few bucks more, to me at least.

That we will do, but there's not much point to it since it will be an aural experience and an empty stage.

Litmaster
Apr 29th, 2014, 06:20 PM
That we will do, but there's not much point to it since it will be an aural experience and an empty stage.

Not empty! It will be occupied by me belly-bumping 7oddisdead when Burt finally kills Scratch!! :nik:

7oddisdead
Apr 29th, 2014, 07:13 PM
Not empty! It will be occupied by me belly-bumping 7oddisdead when Burt finally kills Scratch!! :nik:

DO NOT GIVE PEOPLE IDEAS!!!!!!!11111111!!!ELEVENTYONE!

:nik:

Gnex
Apr 30th, 2014, 10:31 AM
Just throwing this out there...but have you looked into patreon at all? Could be a good way to help with funding in the future, and unless I'm mistaken it gives you a list of those who donate at the 5.00 and above level. Shoot those folks an email with a code for the finale, badda Bing bang...boom. Its really worked well for those who have jumped the tWIT ship recently, might be an option here.

Patreon is a good idea! Even for your next project..... You can basically set it up..... and people can "Tip" you as you move along thru your project..... So someone might decide to give you $3 per episode, and Someone else might decide to give $10..... You could do special Forum badges, or titles or what have you for the different donation levels........ good idea in my opinion! :nik:

Miss
May 5th, 2014, 02:41 PM
I have to wait for the free episode. Regardless if I wanted to pay for it or not, no matter how much or little it cost my cash flow refuses to let me do it.

LiamKerrington
Jun 15th, 2014, 04:49 AM
I think we're going to go with Monday the 21st to release it online. That way it doesn't detract from the finale event, and it's not too long to wait. That will let us raise a few extra bucks for the next project, and also let people have something early. I bet some people who go to the finale might buy this as well if we do a bundle version.

Do you already have an idea how to perform the EBEFB (early-bird-episode-for-bucks)?
I know, it stillis some time until 21st July, and yet is is just only another 5 weeks and 1 day down this summer ...

Kc
Jun 16th, 2014, 01:38 PM
We're Launching the $5 package for that Monday after the finale event.

Litmaster
Jun 16th, 2014, 07:50 PM
:nik:

kabirkent
Apr 15th, 2021, 11:29 PM
Patreon is a good idea! Even for your next project..... You can basically set it up..... and people can "Tip" you as you move along thru your project..... So someone might decide ome tv (https://chatdoz.com/) omegle tv (https://omegle-brasil.com/) dirtyroulette (https://dirtyka.com/) to give you $3 per episode, and Someone else might decide to give $10..... You could do special Forum badges, or titles or what have you for the different donation levels........ good idea in my opinion! :nik:

While I think having reward substance would be decent, there's simply no time before the finale. We could possibly accomplish something on the store in a group... like get the scene and all the ringtones, and possibly another ringtone pack?

riodanver
Apr 27th, 2021, 04:12 AM
While my gut reaction was to vote for the first option just because I really like the idea of being able to watch the event online, I don't think it should be available for $5. I'm with the others on that one. If someone is willing to dish out $100 or something then maybe they should be able to do it. If you do decide to do it, make us pay dearly for it. Perhaps you can have a price for those who will pay $100 - $150 to watch it via livestream on the night of and then a lower price the following Monday?

It's been said before but there are a ton of things that you just won't bazoocam (https://bazoocam.onl/it/) bazoocam (https://bazoocam.onl/es/) bazoocam (https://bazoocam.one/) get from watching it on livestream which, in my opinion, may balance out part of the price people have paid to see it live: There's no after party, there's no meeting the cast, there is no getting to meet fellow forum goers, etc. I'd love to have been able to attend in person but that's just not possible with the commitments I've got at the moment.

I guess I see it as similar to what Blizzard does with Blizzcon. You can dish out the money for a the full experience of attending live or pay much less to get access to the livestream. They're not the same by any stretch of the imagination but you do get what you pay for.

Patreon is a smart thought! In any event, for your next project. You can fundamentally set it up. furthermore, individuals can "Tip" you as you move along through your project. So somebody may choose to give you $3 per scene, and Someone else may choose to give $10. You could do extraordinary Forum identifications, or titles or what have you for the diverse gift levels. smart thought as I would like to think!