PDA

View Full Version : A Letter to WND Fans

nikvoodoo
Jan 27th, 2014, 09:07 PM
As posted on blondenerd.com:

Hey there, fellow We’re Alive and undead loving friends!

Nik and I have received several inquiries as to the status of the We’re Not Dead Podcast, and understandably so. We haven’t released in episode in quite some time, and even when an episode is recorded yours truly — the so-called host — is often MIA. (Before I go any further I must commend and give major props to Nik for taking the reins in my absence. Let’s all give Nik a collective “THANK YOU!”)

Being a fan of We’re Alive is one of my favorite things to be. And while I love hosting a podcast about a podcast, it’s just not as simple as it sounds. Anyone who hosts a podcast can and likely will tell you about the amount of work that goes into a show. Of course there are several podcasts that are recorded on the whim with little to no prep and turn out AMAZING, but on a podcast like We’re Not Dead that’s simply something that cannot be done.

Just to give you an idea, here’s what a usual session looks like:

Collaborate with Nik to figure out a day we can record. This often requires schedule shifting on one or both of our ends.
Find a guest who can record on those dates at those times
Listen to the We’re Alive episode. Listen again. Aaaagain. And again because it’s that damn good
Scour the forums. This entails reading every entry and copying certain thoughts/theories/comments into Word
Organize said thoughts and convert them from a jumbled mess into an organized document
Jot down specific talking points to bring up with Nik and/or guests
Check and manage WND specific inboxes for reader/listener mail
Record the actual podcast! A baby We’re Not Dead is born!
On average, you’re looking at a rough total of four hours of work — and I hate calling it “work” because it’s fun — from release of We’re Alive to release of We’re Not Dead. While that’s not a lot of time in the grand scheme of things, the issue is finding the free time to do it. And we’re simply not finding it, which is why there hasn’t been a reliable release schedule in forever and a half.

This stings more than a bite to the buttcheek, but Nik and I have decided that the best course of action at the moment is to put the podcast on a semi-permanent hiatus. (I say semi-permanent because permanent – permanent is too fucking permanent for my taste.) The reality is that Nik, with all of the fabulous and exciting changes in his life, no longer has the freedom to pick up a mic and record whenever he pleases. I, with my growing website and perseverance to chase dreams, also find myself unable to pick up a mic and record at the drop of Lizzy’s pants.

I love We’re Not Dead. And Nik loves We’re Not Dead. We want to stress that this isn’t nor has it ever been an issue of losing passion for We’re Alive and We’re Not Dead; it’s simply an issue of not having the free time that we once had the privilege of having.

But never fear (in case you were, you know, afraid or something) because in no way are we done interacting with fellow We’re Alive fans. We may not have time to host a podcast every week, but we still want to host contests, discussions and other We’re Alive/WND shenanigannry on our Facebook page. We both value the friendships and relationships We’re Not Dead has granted us, and we would be bigger idiots than we already are if we threw those away.

You’ll still see my dorky ass at We’re Alive events and I’m committed to being as involved as I can be in the We’re Alive universe. (If that means stalking and climbing into Kc and Blaire’s windows and holding them hostage until Nurse Britt resurfaces, so be it. I KNOW WHERE THEY LIVE!)I know Nik is going to try to be as cool as I am and also attend events, but I might ban him just to be a douche. Could be fun. (JUST KIDDING I DON’T HAVE THAT KIND OF POWER U___u)

Again, this isn’t a goodbye! You’ll see us all over the We’re Not Dead Facebook page. Send us Facebook messages. Post on our wall. Call us names. WE DON’T CARE JUST INTERACT WITH US.

Until then, feel free to shoot us a Tweet or friend us on Facebook. And don’t forget about the We’re Alive forums!

7oddisdead
Jan 28th, 2014, 12:06 AM
well said. sad to hear(for wnd) but still...well said and honestly good on her, (and you too nik) for saying it.

I think that's the thing most people who just go to work,or school, or whatever lose sight of. at this point for both of you I believe wnd is a side project on top of a side project on top of building a name for yourself-(or in niks case raising a child), on top of working a day job in order to support those side projects that someday may actually become the day-job. most don't really realize just how much the time devoted to something like this adds up. as brit put it, the average wnd episode takes four hours. how much of those four hours are done consecutively? im willing to bet its rare for all of that to get handled in one sitting, let alone one day. personally I know all about how multitasking many different jobs/projects/hobbies at once can burn you the fuck out ridiculously fast. if the two of you were saying this and didn't have all the stuff going on you already do...yea, we would collectively call bullshit.

but no. the two of you need no excuses. do your thing. I think I speak for most of us in saying we get it. thank you for saying it.

*edit:wait, nik attend events? are you coming out to cali bro??

scbubba
Jan 28th, 2014, 05:01 AM
I definitely echo what 7odd said above. You guys rock and we totally understand where it's coming from.

Thanks to you both for all you have done with WND and thanks for putting this out there for everyone.

Whatever the future of WND is, we're there.

turbo
Jan 28th, 2014, 06:31 AM
Thank you for the work you've done!!

Litmaster
Jan 28th, 2014, 06:42 AM
Which means Mick and Redbeard are now officially the kings of the airwaves...

nikvoodoo
Jan 28th, 2014, 09:22 AM
Which means Mick and Redbeard now officially the kings of the airwaves...

Not even a period of mourning, huh? Just toss us out with the trash....I thought we had something special, Lit!

Litmaster
Jan 28th, 2014, 09:34 AM
Not even a period of mourning, huh? Just toss us out with the trash....I thought we had something special, Lit!

No need for a period of mourning, cuz!

You're NOT DEAD after all, right?

Besides, you'll be broadcasting together with us LIVE FROM THE ROAD ON THE WE'RE ALIVE CONVOY!!!!

Gooer
Jan 28th, 2014, 10:07 AM
Nawwh, That's a shame :( But it can't be helped, if you haven't got time, no point in trying to force it. Hopefully one day we can hear them talk about the remaining episodes, and i shall wait for that day. FOREVER IF NEED BE.

nikvoodoo
Jan 28th, 2014, 10:24 AM
No need for a period of mourning, cuz!

You're NOT DEAD after all, right?

Besides, you'll be broadcasting together with us LIVE FROM THE ROAD ON THE WE'RE ALIVE CONVOY!!!!

I see what you did there!

YetAnotherBloodyCheek
Jan 28th, 2014, 11:37 AM
A very good show has come to an end. That you for the whole way, my ears really enjoyed to listen to you.

Grognaurd
Jan 28th, 2014, 11:48 AM
Normally, I am a man of few words, so in conclusion, thank you very much for all the joy your podcast has provided me.

Elisa
Jan 28th, 2014, 12:17 PM
Thanks for everything and best of luck in all your future endeavors. See ya at the grand finale. :)

Jannit
Jan 28th, 2014, 12:49 PM
7odd and the others said it best so I'll just say thanks for everything and good luck with all of your projects. Cheers to both of you.

Osiris
Jan 28th, 2014, 03:55 PM
I've said it before, and I'll say it again:

Thank you, Nik, and thank you, Britt. I've enjoyed listening to the two of you stumble over names (and three syllable words), argue, ramble, laugh, and curse for a solid--and enjoyable--two years. I know you've been going longer than that, but it's when I picked it up. Hey, don't judge me, I'm writing you a fucking love letter, and you're all up on my tits and--deep breath. I've looked forward to hearing you two talk about nothing in particular every single week, and then every other week... and then once a month... and you know what? It's time to move on. I accept it. I just want you both to know how much you've meant to me, and how much you've brought to the table. It'll be sad to see We're Not Dead come to an end, but... I wish you both all the success in the world, and will always support your endeavours the way you've supported that which you loved.

But seriously... if Britt could just start podding on her own... even just recording herself playing vidja games and rambling drunkenly... I'd appreciate it.

Eviebae
Jan 28th, 2014, 04:13 PM
Glad to know the what of the what is up.

I suppose you could get someone else to do some of the lifting, but I'd guess you already thought of that

I miss it!

Witch_Doctor
Jan 28th, 2014, 04:23 PM
We're Not Dead will live on forever. Thank you for your tireless efforts to make such a difficult undertaking happen. Like others have said, 70dd did a great job of expressing our thoughts.

7oddisdead
Jan 29th, 2014, 01:28 AM
I see what you did there!

saw what he did there...yea. but the real question.

are you going to try to make it out for the finale? dude, I don't even care if you make the trip with us, that's whatever...I just want to hang out with nik for a night. that would be a blast for I think!

*trying to keep a positive note going here...*

nikvoodoo
Jan 29th, 2014, 08:41 AM
saw what he did there...yea. but the real question.

are you going to try to make it out for the finale? dude, I don't even care if you make the trip with us, that's whatever...I just want to hang out with nik for a night. that would be a blast for I think!

*trying to keep a positive note going here...*
I had planned on going to LA for the finale, but with the second voodoo spawn en route I feel like I'm not going to be able to swing it. I'm actually pretty bummed about that. I was looking forward to meeting the cast and interacting with other fans of the show.

pmchawk
Jan 29th, 2014, 11:07 AM
Hmm.. Nurse Britt is dead to me.. Jk.. Kinda. Atleast I won't keep refreshing the page every day to see if a new episode came out.

pmchawk
Jan 29th, 2014, 11:10 AM
I had planned on going to LA for the finale, but with the second voodoo spawn en route I feel like I'm not going to be able to swing it. I'm actually pretty bummed about that. I was looking forward to meeting the cast and interacting with other fans of the show.

Priorities. Attend and have an onsite poll about which character the Little One should be named after. ;)

7oddisdead
Jan 29th, 2014, 11:46 AM

that's great news brother! For that reason I don't blame you at all for not coming out. Family is way more important than anything really, and starting a family? Nothing can replace that.

nikvoodoo
Jan 29th, 2014, 01:06 PM
Priorities. Attend and have an onsite poll about which character the Little One should be named after. ;)

I feel like this is decided law by now. Inklings rock ADLO SUCK!

that's great news brother! For that reason I don't blame you at all for not coming out. Family is way more important than anything really, and starting a family? Nothing can replace that.

I'm rather fond of my family. They can stick around.

Red Shirt
Jan 31st, 2014, 08:49 PM
Well, shucks. I have had suspicions that this may have been the case... what with life having reared its ugly and/or beautiful head on occasion in the past.
It's good to have a confirmation though, that all is well, it is only the matter of time that is getting in the way.

Congratulations and best wishes to the both of you.

We can morn our dead later, when we're safe. Right now, there are things out there that want to eat us.
We need to take care and make sure that there aren't more to mourn when that time does come.
:bunker:

Chrisgill
Feb 8th, 2014, 06:00 PM
Well shit.

UndeadSweeper
Feb 8th, 2014, 06:18 PM
I feel like this is decided law by now. Inklings rock ADLO SUCK!

Don't hate on mine creations, Nik! :P Go do something creative like... make a podcast?

FunkyDung
Feb 8th, 2014, 06:58 PM
Not sure how I missed this when it was posted. Sorry to see you go, but I can totally understand the circumstances. Contra my signature, these tears of Nik do not taste like candy. :britt: :nik:

P.S. Thanks for having me on as a guest before you closed up shop. It was fun. :)

Eddiexx
Mar 4th, 2014, 11:21 AM
After listening to we're alive 4 times, I've started listening to WND, it's great!!

Thanks to Britney, nick and everyone involved.

Good luck with everything you do in the future.

Hoff4D
Mar 13th, 2014, 12:20 PM
As posted on blondenerd.com:

Just seen this, after having a long hiatus from the forums. Thanks for the podcasts, and making some of us feel like we were apart of something having a few words read to our credit.....even if the names were more often mispronounced than not.....and some theories/predicitons not given their proper credit :cool: I kid, I kid....seriously, thanks guys!

Z Sniper
Mar 13th, 2014, 11:21 PM
Hey Guys, I had a great time listening! Thanks for putting in the hours to give "We're Alive" something extra! Wishing you well with all the exciting things happening in your lives!

Zombie-Bane
Mar 17th, 2014, 08:54 AM
I was wondering if my iTunes was screwed up. Hope you guys are back soon.

I can't find your facebook page...

KPCoyote
May 27th, 2016, 08:37 PM
I didn't even know about this podcast until after most of Lockdown had been released. But I am listening now. It's kind of interesting to hear your theories and thoughts as the series was developing. I agree that you guys did an amazing job. I would like to ask if you, NikVooDoo, do any other podcasting?