PDA

View Full Version : W/A Convoy Support Team

Litmaster
Jan 22nd, 2014, 04:49 PM
Hey! Wanna help other W/A Forumites have a great experience?

Have special skills, talents, and/or knowledge that you can bring to the table?

Want to participate in the We're Alive Finale Convoy (http://www.zombiepodcast.com/forum/showthread.php?5148-the-W-A-finale-convoy!) this July, but not quite willing to quit your job / divorce your spouse in order to make the trip? (although it's damned tempting...)

http://www.trendghost.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/wondering.jpg

Never fear! You can join the WE'RE ALIVE CONVOY SUPPORT TEAM! What is that, you ask? Well, there are many issues that have yet to be resolved with this trip that can be made easier / better if we have a home support team to keep in communication with both before and during the trip. What kind of help do we need? Uh, not totally sure at this point, but the purpose of this thread is to be a community bulletin board of sorts to post ideas and ask for help regarding the planning and execution of this epic journey!

Stay tuned to subsequent posts for more details!

Litmaster
Jan 22nd, 2014, 04:56 PM
CONVOY TECHIE HELP NEEDED

Ok, so one thing that Todd and I were talking about is the media aspect of the trip. We are throwing ideas around about taking audio / video on the trip with us to document the journey, but we're not quite clear on this aspect at the moment. So:

1. Does anyone have a good idea regarding how we can document this trip and make it available for other Forumites to 'virtually' paricipate in, even if they can't go with us? I'm looking for specifics regarding what type of hardware we should bring and how we can get it from the road, edited, and on the internet with minimal hassle.

2. Is there anyone out there who can volunteer to be a video editor for us? Again, this is not totally clear, but we will be recording raw video segments that we can hopefully email to someone, who can then hopefully edit into a more polished form, upload to Youtube (I suppose), then link over here on the Forum on the Convoy thread so everyone can enjoy.

3. Also, anyone with specific ideas regarding how to make this documentation aspects more creative / interesting / entertaining would be much appreciated. :cool:

Litmaster
Jan 22nd, 2014, 04:59 PM
CONVOY LOCATION PLANNING HELP NEEDED

I would also welcome any suggestions regarding location planning. I know that we're going to be traveling from St. Louis to Tulsa along interstate 44, but I don't know much about Oklahoma or any interesting attractions along that route.

Similarly, if there is anyone out there who is familiar with Flagstaff, AZ and can think of a compelling attraction for us to see there, I'd appreciate it!

Litmaster
Jan 22nd, 2014, 05:08 PM
MORE CONVOY TECHIE HELP NEEDED

Regarding technology, I don't know much about web connectivity. I've seen people with these little doo-hickey's to give themselves web access remotely from a laptop, but never looked into it myself. Also keep in mind that we may be passing through some remote areas connectivity-wise. Anyone out there with some suggestions on how we can stay online on the road?

Regarding audio recording, I plan on bringing some of my audio gear with me: a laptop, a few condenser mics, a small mixer, and my Zoom H2 digital recorder. So we should be able to record the trip with good sound quality. I also have editing software so I can mix in background sounds and make good-sounding podcasts of the trip, even while on the road. However, I will need someone at home who I can email the finished MP3 files to who can then make it available for other Forumites to listen to.

I've never really had to upload audio on the internet, so does anyone know an easy way we can take those road recordings and make them available for the Forum to listen to while we are on the road?

Litmaster
Jan 22nd, 2014, 05:25 PM
CONVOY GAME IDEA HELP NEEDED

Okay, so we know that we will primarily be re-listening to the entire WA story through the van stereo whenever we are traveling from place to place. But there will be 2 nights that we will be camping and have some mingle time with each other, so I thought it would be fun if we had a few quick 'We're Alive' games we could play. For example, Blaire and Kc play this game where she reads a page from the script in a funny accent and he tries to guess which chapter it's from. I thought we could play something like that, trivia related, etc.

Any ideas for something that would be fun?

turbo
Jan 25th, 2014, 07:13 AM
CONVOY TECHIE HELP NEEDED

Ok, so one thing that Todd and I were talking about is the media aspect of the trip. We are throwing ideas around about taking audio / video on the trip with us to document the journey, but we're not quite clear on this aspect at the moment. So:

1. Does anyone have a good idea regarding how we can document this trip and make it available for other Forumites to 'virtually' paricipate in, even if they can't go with us? I'm looking for specifics regarding what type of hardware we should bring and how we can get it from the road, edited, and on the internet with minimal hassle.

2. Is there anyone out there who can volunteer to be a video editor for us? Again, this is not totally clear, but we will be recording raw video segments that we can hopefully email to someone, who can then hopefully edit into a more polished form, upload to Youtube (I suppose), then link over here on the Forum on the Convoy thread so everyone can enjoy.

3. Also, anyone with specific ideas regarding how to make this documentation aspects more creative / interesting / entertaining would be much appreciated. :cool:

1: you could do some live streams while recording at the same time. People could have some sort of contact via messaging.

2. Should time permit I can help you edit the video.

3. Maybe with the interactions of viewers you can get statuses on other parts of the country, maybe do video chats with whomever and record what is on screen with them as part of your video.

turbo
Jan 25th, 2014, 07:28 AM
MORE CONVOY TECHIE HELP NEEDED

Regarding technology, I don't know much about web connectivity. I've seen people with these little doo-hickey's to give themselves web access remotely from a laptop, but never looked into it myself. Also keep in mind that we may be passing through some remote areas connectivity-wise. Anyone out there with some suggestions on how we can stay online on the road?

Regarding audio recording, I plan on bringing some of my audio gear with me: a laptop, a few condenser mics, a small mixer, and my Zoom H2 digital recorder. So we should be able to record the trip with good sound quality. I also have editing software so I can mix in background sounds and make good-sounding podcasts of the trip, even while on the road. However, I will need someone at home who I can email the finished MP3 files to who can then make it available for other Forumites to listen to.

I've never really had to upload audio on the internet, so does anyone know an easy way we can take those road recordings and make them available for the Forum to listen to while we are on the road?

Maybe with the right setup you can also live stream the audio. Yes it'll take more practice to do on the fly, but that makes it more fun right? ;)

For connectivity, you can go with an LTE card through Verizon or Sprint.
https://m.sprint.com/shop/mobile/shop/phone_details.jsp;jsessionidfe8=8E70E148F54D91BAD7 055D2603664462.mshop5?prodId=dvc7550006prd&deviceSKUId=75500188&flow=AAL&planSKUId=&ptn=&tabId=dt_mbc

https://m.verizonwireless.com/Shop/Details/All_Phones/v/6655?&item=phoneFirst&action=viewPhoneDetail&selectedPhoneId=6655&cmp=Google-PLA&zipRdr=y&cmp=Google-PLA

These are not that expensive up front but do require a data connection. I've used the sprint card for streaming live 720p video ;)

As for getting stuff to the forum, having some sort of audio storage that you can link, maybe soundcloud?

Hope This all helps!

tonyhind86
Jan 29th, 2014, 03:36 PM
Maybe with the right setup you can also live stream the audio. Yes it'll take more practice to do on the fly, but that makes it more fun right? ;)

https://m.sprint.com/shop/mobile/shop/phone_details.jsp;jsessionidfe8=8E70E148F54D91BAD7 055D2603664462.mshop5?prodId=dvc7550006prd&deviceSKUId=75500188&flow=AAL&planSKUId=&ptn=&tabId=dt_mbc

https://m.verizonwireless.com/Shop/Details/All_Phones/v/6655?&item=phoneFirst&action=viewPhoneDetail&selectedPhoneId=6655&cmp=Google-PLA&zipRdr=y&cmp=Google-PLA

These are not that expensive up front but do require a data connection. I've used the sprint card for streaming live 720p video ;)

As for getting stuff to the forum, having some sort of audio storage that you can link, maybe soundcloud?

Hope This all helps!

There's some mighty fine ideas in there! Even if it does take us a while to get the setups etc right, we'll have plenty of time on the road to perfect the craft.

I'll put together some sort of album for the photos which I can upload straight onto the forum, and use soundcloud for the audio. As for archive videos, I'll use youtube, and live videos - I'll test out several areas such as Ustream perhaps

turbo
Jan 29th, 2014, 03:37 PM
There's some mighty fine ideas in there! Even if it does take us a while to get the setups etc right, we'll have plenty of time on the road to perfect the craft.

I'll put together some sort of album for the photos which I can upload straight onto the forum, and use soundcloud for the audio. As for archive videos, I'll use youtube, and live videos - I'll test out several areas such as Ustream perhaps

With Ustream you will get some annoying ads, but at least it's free. If I can think up some code that you can upstream to a site, i'll let you know.

Red Shirt
Jan 29th, 2014, 09:49 PM
Copy/Pasta'd from the other thread: <br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
Highlight one: <br />
<br />
I would recommend going with T-Mobile. Their US plans are now contract free and a quick check of the interwebs tells me that they do...

tonyhind86
Jan 30th, 2014, 07:57 AM
T-Mobile is available over here in the UK; I'll check the available plans and see what international plans I can get. My phone has Wi-Fi hotspot capability, so that should come in handy at some...

Litmaster
Jan 30th, 2014, 12:50 PM

Hope This all helps!

It does! Even just brainstorming about this stuff helps to create better solutions. Thanks a lot! And I'll keep you in mind for the video editing.

BTW, Turbo.... what are your plans for the trip/live event?

I was thinking that we might want to get/start an official WA Convoy YouTube Channel, Twitter Feed, Tumblr, Instagram ect. Individual attendees will of course still upload to their social media of choice, but having (an) "official" channel(s) seems to make sense.

Yeah, this is a great idea. Especially if you understand THE WA CONVOY FAN FICTION PROJECT (http://www.zombiepodcast.com/forum/showthread.php?5148-the-W-A-finale-convoy!&p=71919&viewfull=1#post71919) that will be created concurrently with the trip, we are going to need some way to upload and store various forms of multimedia (e.g., photos, videos, text, drawings, etc). My plan is to start a special storytelling blog that anybody on the Forum can access in order to both follow the story and get information about our trip simultaneously. We'll be living in two worlds at the same time... :cool:

And Red Shirt! Get your ass in the van! I gotta seat reserved for ya.

Tony, can you take responsibility for this aspect of the trip? Namely, the "how to we get all this multimedia shit from the van and up to the interwebs while we're on the road?" Each of us is taking on a separate role for the planning of this:

Lit: Reserving hotels / campsites, itinerary, core script and story creation, directing/producing/editing the fan fiction audio drama that we will be creating

7odd: Supply and logistics, renting the vehicle, estimating fuel costs, initial food to take on the road, tents to sleep in, etc.

Tony (hopefully): Communications and connectivity for the fanfic project

Cabbage Patch: Helping plan the local leg of the trip, esp. the Irwin tour and WA locations around LA

tonyhind86
Jan 30th, 2014, 01:09 PM
Comms Officer Hind reporting for duty sir!

Litmaster
Jan 30th, 2014, 04:18 PM
Comms Officer Hind reporting for duty sir!

http://www.mytinyphone.com/uploads/users/anaverry/173700.jpg

tonyhind86
Feb 1st, 2014, 05:55 PM
I'll set up official youtube and twitter accounts later on today. Personally I don't use facebook, so if anyone else can set up a page or something on there, then that's sweet.

I'll also set up a Google+ account aswell. I've seen the adverts for the Google Glass thingies and I'm hoping, if my pitch is up to scratch, I can get a product testing gig from them. Here's hoping at least one person at that company is listening to WA.