PDA

View Full Version : the W/A finale convoy!

Pages : [1] 2

7oddisdead
Jan 16th, 2014, 11:42 PM
well, it's happening. this show that we all love is coming to an end in july. as mentioned in the finale thread I plan to be there. while I don't believe KC has made it official yet, it looks like the live finale show will be july 19th. currently I have vacation running the 12th through the 21st, so I intend to drive out to cali for the finale, and see some of the sights along the way as well. Litmaster (I believe jokingly) brought up the idea of catching a ride out with a trucker and I thought "hey, that's kinda me!?!" and thusly this idea was born.

im located in Swansea, Illinois, roughly 20 minutes outside of st Louis. my location makes me centrally located between the coasts, more or less. how much simplier would it make the trip of coming out to the finale for people to fly halfway and then drive out to california? well my partner on this venture, litmaster seems to think so...and so..this thread.

the basic idea here is anyone who wants to come out the the finale and see a few of the sights along the way simply has to make it to st. Louis. from there we can pool our gas money, and many of the travel expenses to make the trip more cost effective for everyone involved. the only real issue with this venture is the time involved in the trip. currently I see the trip being something along the lines of july 16th/17th through the 21st. these numbers are not set in stone, in fact, nothing about this idea is set in stone, which is why im getting this ball rolling six months in advance. I put together a tentative drive map, including two stops along the way. the grand canyon; because that's one stop that I would be pissed at myself forever if I didn't go there, and roswell, new mexico....cause its so cheesy it has to be cool. that trip on mapquest comes out to be about thirty hours of driving. (!)

so you see, just with the drive out, no stopping to gawk at a hole in the ground, no eating at the roswell café...its one hell of a drive. I personally love long road trips, I make the drive from here to Biloxi ms every year in one sitting. but trips like that are not for everyone. keep that in mind if considering joining us on this...its an adventure, that's for sure! and as I said above, any stops along the way will be a group decision and currently are very up in the air, once we establish a group...we'll make those decisions!

so in a nutshell, that's the plan. the number of people on board with this will dictate what we drive out in. if we get enough people together i'll rent one of those 12 passenger vans to drive out. those are costs ill incur. for this, your only cost will be providing for yourself(food, lodging, etc) and chipping in on gas (equally). if your interested post up in this here thread! we have im guessing til about may-ish to get this organized. I know im excited by this idea, hopefully others are as well!

todd-0

tonyhind86
Jan 17th, 2014, 01:58 AM
Because I like in the North East of the UK, I'll have to first take a flight to London, then hop on a direct flight to LAX. I reckon we could also organise a rendezvous point. This may also be a good time to choose our own call signs.

Because my local team play in black & white shirts, I'll choose the call sign "Penguin" :D

tonyhind86
Jan 17th, 2014, 01:59 AM
Oh, and having some sort of online travel-journal from the convoy would make for interesting reading aswell :)

Litmaster
Jan 17th, 2014, 02:48 AM
Oh, and having some sort of online travel-journal from the convoy would make for interesting reading aswell :)

Ha! Yeah, on one of those notebooks with the splotchy black & white covers, no less.

Needless to say... I'M IN!

Let's go, Bubba! Witch Doctor! Nikvoodoo! Turbo! Get in on this road trip!!!

Litmaster
Jan 17th, 2014, 02:52 AM
Wait, here's an idea: We can re-listen to the entire WA show in the van during the convoy drive, and time it so we get caught up just as we are rolling into LA for the finale!

tonyhind86
Jan 17th, 2014, 02:56 AM
Wait, here's an idea: We can re-listen to the entire WA show in the van during the convoy drive, and time it so we get caught up just as we are rolling into LA for the finale!

Record some audio commentary aswell - it'll be great to hear what's going on during the journey. I'll be on a plane so I'll probably produce a photo journal

Sin Angel
Jan 17th, 2014, 03:13 AM
Wish I had money to join in on this.

tonyhind86
Jan 17th, 2014, 03:41 AM
I'll probably be bankrupt afterwards, but its going to be worth every penny.

Oh wait, I'll have to exchange cash first.

EDIT: It'll be worth every dime.

:D

Litmaster
Jan 17th, 2014, 04:35 AM
Record some audio commentary aswell - it'll be great to hear what's going on during the journey. I'll be on a plane so I'll probably produce a photo journal

Good idea! I have a Zoom H2 digital recorder that I can bring along; that's certainly portable.

tonyhind86
Jan 17th, 2014, 04:41 AM
Good idea! I have a Zoom H2 digital recorder that I can bring along; that's certainly portable.

Fantastic! This will be a once-in-a-lifetime adventure, saluting the conclusion of a truly epic story.

Grognaurd
Jan 17th, 2014, 05:00 AM
I like this idea a lot, but my life is currently chaos. Give me a couple of days to think...

But, I need your help. I have a terrible allergy to peanuts. I kid you not when I say that if people are chowing down on peanuts and tree nuts in the car, I will be sick and miserable. Worse, leave a gob of peanut butter on a door handle and I touch it could kill me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jy2YhxXn7NY&feature

tonyhind86
Jan 17th, 2014, 05:37 AM
I tend to avoid peanuts purely because of their salt content. The only salted snack I can stomach is Beef Jerky.

Litmaster
Jan 17th, 2014, 07:03 AM
No problem Grog. Just as long as you're not allergic to beer!

Litmaster
Jan 17th, 2014, 07:25 AM
Wait... Route 66 runs right though St. Louis and all the way to LA!

Mother Road road trip!!!!

Then we can stop by the Big Texan Steakhouse in Amarillo and watch 7odd try to choke down a 72oz steak dinner in one hour!

Footbutt
Jan 17th, 2014, 07:29 AM
you guys are crazy!

if i was single and not married, i'd probably do this...
...but i gotta save up for adoption stuff!

have fun and let us know your twitter/instagram things so we can follow along your journey.

Litmaster
Jan 17th, 2014, 07:41 AM
And guess what? Route 66 also passes right by Barstow and Fort Irwin!

Roooooooooaaaaaaad Trrrriiiiiiiiiiip!!!!!!!

turbo
Jan 17th, 2014, 08:07 AM
Oh my! I'm bringing a couple friends to the finale, one is flying in to LA from Texas and the other lives by me...this might be an option!

tonyhind86
Jan 17th, 2014, 08:32 AM
We need a big group shot outside of an apartment tower in LA. Maybe we can even persuade the residents to put up a big "We're Alive" sign :)

Kc
Jan 17th, 2014, 08:42 AM
This is awesome! This journey must be documented via video segments :)

Gooer
Jan 17th, 2014, 08:46 AM
God damnit im so jealous. I'm missing out on so much......it sounds like such fun...

Edit: just looked at flights. would cost me £900 to fly to STL on 16th, returning on 21st, and £1100 flying to LAX and returning same day (if it is the 19th). So pretty much the same price either way (with the spending costs during the road trip), but it would just be the matter of getting the money.... (I'm a jobless uni student with barely any cash left). This seems achievable.

Grognaurd
Jan 17th, 2014, 08:50 AM

Sure, sure...

Next you will be asking for a music video...

tonyhind86
Jan 17th, 2014, 09:39 AM
God damnit im so jealous. I'm missing out on so much......it sounds like such fun...

Edit: just looked at flights. would cost me £900 to fly to STL on 16th, returning on 21st, and £1100 flying to LAX and returning same day (if it is the 19th). So pretty much the same price either way (with the spending costs during the road trip), but it would just be the matter of getting the money.... (I'm a jobless uni student with barely any cash left). This seems achievable.

You can sell a kidney on the black market for a couple of grand ;)

Seriously though, if you can scrape the funds together, we would probably end up on the same flight out of Heathrow. I'm planning on flying to LA a couple of days early and staying for about a week/10 days. It's going to be my first visit to the US, and its something I've wanted to do for years.

It would be great if you could make it over.

tonyhind86
Jan 17th, 2014, 09:40 AM
Sure, sure...

Or a musical, perhaps? ;)

7oddisdead
Jan 17th, 2014, 10:03 AM
so I go to bed thinking 'I wonder if there will be much interest?'.. I wake up to three pages of awesome.

@Kc
I think videos are a for sure thing. I have that windowsphone with the insane camera/hd video recorder, so I can upload directly from the road. that was actually one of the first things I thought of.

@grognard
I LOVE peanuts..but for you, I would sacrifice them. seriously uncle, getting you on the trip would make my year. I sincerely mean that.

@turbo
dude, you gotta do it! hell if this gets big enough, I may need a second Illinois resident for the rental procedure!

@at tonyhind86
if your taking that much time to make the trip, why not join us? our trip coordinator(litmaster) seems to be lining up some pretty awesome stuff/ideas for stuff.

@litmaster
the 72oz steak challenge? FUUUUUUUUU....MAYBE. that's a lot of meat, somebody else will have to drive after that. but im down!

@gooer
you have 4-5 months to get the funds together, who knows what could happen in that amount of time? KEEP HOPE ALIVE!

ya'll have made me a happy hermit with the excitement for this! lets keep the momentum going!

7id

tonyhind86
Jan 17th, 2014, 10:18 AM
@at tonyhind86
if your taking that much time to make the trip, why not join us? our trip coordinator(litmaster) seems to be lining up some pretty awesome stuff/ideas for stuff.

I guess flying to IL would be swifter and cheaper, and for the benefits of participating in this epic road trip, I would gladly contribute to the fuel and supplies expenses. To be honest, i've said that I always wanted to visit the States - this way, I'll get to see more of it, and with great company aswell.

Elisa
Jan 17th, 2014, 10:43 AM
I wonder if there could be a WA tour of some of the places mention in the audio drama???

tonyhind86
Jan 17th, 2014, 10:47 AM
I wonder if there could be a WA tour of some of the places mention in the audio drama???

As mentioned earlier, the road trip would pass by Barstow and Ft Irwin. I reckon a visit to the Arena and Cain Hospital would be on the cards also, as well as finding a candidate to serve as "the tower".

7oddisdead
Jan 17th, 2014, 11:43 AM
Small-ish update.

these figures are entirely guess-timation. But I checked on the fuel economy of making the trip in the 12 passenger van I brought up in the original post. Total bill one way will be about a grand, now split that between say ten people...round trip from Illinois to la and back will have us at 200 a piece.

again, those are rough figures. But they are entirely doable I think.

tonyhind86
Jan 17th, 2014, 11:58 AM
Sounds good to me. I'll make an over-estimation in my budget for any unforseen expenses, or if we run up a large bar bill etc :) <br />
<br />
I'll also make sure my cameras are charged and will keep up to date...

Litmaster
Jan 17th, 2014, 12:20 PM
I put together a tentative drive map, including two stops along the way. the grand canyon; because that's one stop that I would be pissed at myself forever if I didn't go there, and roswell, new mexico....cause its so cheesy it has to be cool. that trip on mapquest comes out to be about thirty hours of driving. (!)

That'll mean we'll need about 30 hours worth of stock stories of boobs and alcohol, so... we should be fine!

Oh my! I'm bringing a couple friends to the finale, one is flying in to LA from Texas and the other lives by me...this might be an option!

Do it! Turbo, you've got the least excuse! You live only a couple hour's drive from St. Louis. Come on! You can be our tech/intel guy...

I guess flying to IL would be swifter and cheaper, and for the benefits of participating in this epic road trip, I would gladly contribute to the fuel and supplies expenses. To be honest, i've said that I always wanted to visit the States - this way, I'll get to see more of it, and with great company as well.

Do it! If you want to get a quintessentially 'American' experience, then a week-long road trip down historic Route 66 is about as good as you can get. The only other thing you'd need is a pink Cadillac to make the drive, with perhaps a gun and some stolen money in the glove box...

Sounds good to me. I'll make an over-estimation in my budget for any unforseen expenses, or if we run up a large bar bill etc :)

Uh, yeah... this may happen. Especially if we veer north and hit Vegas, that may triple the cost of the trip right there

tonyhind86
Jan 17th, 2014, 12:26 PM
That'll mean we'll need about 30 hours worth of stock stories of boobs and alcohol, so... we should be fine!

Do it! Turbo, you've got the least excuse! You live only a couple hour's drive from St. Louis. Come on! You can be our tech/intel guy...

Do it! If you want to get a quintessentially 'American' experience, then a week-long road trip down historic Route 66 is about as good as you can get. The only other thing you'd need is a pink Cadillac to make the drive, with perhaps a gun and some stolen money in the glove box...

Uh, yeah... this may happen. Especially if we veer north and hit Vegas, that may triple the cost of the trip right there

Unless we hit Vegas and win big, then it will be tuxedos, 5-star hotels and limosines all the way :D

7oddisdead
Jan 17th, 2014, 12:27 PM
I'm going to make an executive decision here and say Vegas is a baaaaaaaaad idea.

notice I didn't say no? ;)

tonyhind86
Jan 17th, 2014, 12:29 PM
I'm going to make an executive decision here and say Vegas is a baaaaaaaaad idea.

notice I didn't say no? ;)

I'll get that on record :)

Litmaster
Jan 17th, 2014, 01:05 PM
This trip is looking better and better, even just one day into the planning! Here's some features that I think we should include as part of the trip:

Documentation: I think some audio and/or video recording of the adventure is totally a must. We should also be able to post stuff online while on the road so that other Forum-ites who can't go can at least follow along with our adventure...

Accommodations: I'm not fussy about where we sleep. I'd actually just be fine with bringing a sleeping bag and just sleeping at campsites along the way. That would help to keep the cost down. A lot of state parks have cheap camping sites that have showers and whatnot so I don't think that would be a problem.

We're Alive Drive-a-Thon: Not sure the entire running time of all four seasons at this point, but I think it would be awesome to listen to the entire show during the trip and time it so we're just getting caught up on the day of the live event in LA. That would be a classic ending experience to a classic story...

Beer: Not while driving, of course, but I definitely think the rear area of the van should be reserved for a large, stocked ice chest of brewskies. We'll dump some luggage if we have to make space. :)

The Agenda: So we are just spit-balling ideas at this point and trying to drum up interest, so don't look at any of this as a definite 'agenda'. I think once we get a list of 'definite' participants, then we can do some polls or something to nail down specifically what we are going to do. Here are some potential stopping points along the Epic We're Alive Convoy Road Trip:

http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/7426/route66.jpg

Meramec Caverns in Stanton, MO (http://www.americascave.com/)
This is right along the route, and is supposedly the caverns that Jessie James hid in when he was on the run from the sheriff back in the day.

Big Texan Steakhouse in Amarillo, TX (http://bigtexan.com/)
I've always wanted to go to this place ever since I heard about the 72oz steak challenge on an episode of "Man vs. Food". Plus, I'd pay money to watch Todd trying to shove that huge slab of meat into his beard in under an hour! We'll just be sure not to listen to the scene where Angel and Riley get stuck in the pile of corpses soon after dinner!

Cadillac Ranch in Amarillo, TX (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadillac_Ranch)
While we're passing through Amarillo, we might as well stop by the Cadillac Ranch and see the line half-buried cars. Route 66 is just full of this weird, cheesy shit...

Roswell, NM (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roswell_UFO_incident)
Ok, so it's not strictly along Route 66, but I don't think the trip could be complete without someone buying an alien mask from some dumb-assed UFO diner in Roswell...

The Grand Canyon in AZ (http://www.nps.gov/grca/index.htm)
Oh come on, for Christ's sake. It's a national landmark that everyone has got to visit at least once in your life. We can all wear zombie masks for some of our panoramic photos...

Sitgreaves Pass between (Kingman and Oatman) in AZ (http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g31259-d1449308-Reviews-Sitgreaves_Pass-Kingman_Arizona.html)
Apparently, this 9 miles stretch of road climbs to 1400 feet and features both hairpin turns and some of the best scenery in the region.

Barstow and Ft. Irwin in CA (http://www.irwin.army.mil/Pages/default.aspx)
This trip should DEFINITELY culminate in a tour of many of the LA-area sites featured in the We're Alive story, starting perhaps with Ft. Irwin and Barstow, so we can all see what blew up and what got overrun. Maybe we can even stop at Yermo and try to figure out where Michael may have launched his KODI experiments...

Various LA We're Alive Locales
This could be the real-life locations for anything featured in the WA story: The Tower, Dunbar Tower, Eastern Bay, The Colony, etc. I would love to actually see the studio where We're Alive was recorded, but I don't know if that is possible...

Any other ideas for things to do?

Let's go, folks! Sign up for the Convoy! This is going to be a once-in-a-lifetime kind of adventure!!!

tonyhind86
Jan 17th, 2014, 01:14 PM
This trip is looking better and better, even just one day into the planning! Here's some features that I think we should include as part of the trip:

Documentation: I think some audio and/or video recording of the adventure is totally a must. We should also be able to post stuff online while on the road so that other Forum-ites who can't go can at least follow along with our adventure...

Accommodations: I'm not fussy about where we sleep. I'd actually just be fine with bringing a sleeping bag and just sleeping at campsites along the way. That would help to keep the cost down. A lot of state parks have cheap camping sites that have showers and whatnot so I don't think that would be a problem.

We're Alive Drive-a-Thon: Not sure the entire running time of all four seasons at this point, but I think it would be awesome to listen to the entire show during the trip and time it so we're just getting caught up on the day of the live event in LA. That would be a classic ending experience to a classic story...

Beer: Not while driving, of course, but I definitely think the rear area of the van should be reserved for a large, stocked ice chest of brewskies. We'll dump some luggage if we have to make space. :)

The Agenda: So we are just spit-balling ideas at this point and trying to drum up interest at this point, so don't look at any of this as a definite 'agenda'. I think once we get a list of 'definite' participants, then we can do some polls or something to nail down specifically what we are going to do. Here are some potential stopping points along the Epic We're Alive Convoy Road Trip:

http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/7426/route66.jpg

Meramec Caverns in Stanton, MO (http://www.americascave.com/)
This is right along the route, and is supposedly the caverns that Jessie James hid in when he was on the run from the sheriff back in the day.

Big Texan Steakhouse in Amarillo, TX (http://bigtexan.com/)
I've always wanted to go to this place ever since I heard about the 72oz steak challenge on an episode of "Man vs. Food". Plus, I'd pay money to watch Todd trying to shove that huge slab of meat into his beard in under an hour! We'll just be sure not to listen to the scene where Angel and Riley get stuck in the pile of corpses soon after dinner!

Cadillac Ranch in Amarillo, TX (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadillac_Ranch)
While we're passing through Amarillo, we might as well stop by the Cadillac Ranch and see the line half-buried cars. Route 66 is just full of this weird, cheesy shit...

Roswell, NM (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roswell_UFO_incident)
Ok, so it's no strictly along Route 66, but I don't think the trip could be complete without someone buying an alien mask from some dumb-assed UFO diner in Roswell...

The Grand Canyon in AZ (http://www.nps.gov/grca/index.htm)
Oh come on, for Christ's sake. It's a national landmark that everyone has got to visit at least once in your life. We can all wear zombie masks for some of our panoramic photos...

Sitgreaves Pass between (Kingman and Oatman) in AZ (http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g31259-d1449308-Reviews-Sitgreaves_Pass-Kingman_Arizona.html)
Apparently, this 9 miles stretch of road climbs to 1400 feet and features both hairpin turns and some of the best scenery in the region.

Barstow and Ft. Irwin in CA (http://www.irwin.army.mil/Pages/default.aspx)
This trip should DEFINITELY culminate in a tour of many of the LA-area sites featured in the We're Alive story, starting perhaps with Ft. Irwin and Barstow, so we can all see what blew up and what got overrun. Maybe we can even stop at Yermo and try to figure out where Michael may have launched his KODI experiments...

Various LA We're Alive Locales
This could be the real-life locations for anything featured in the WA story: The Tower, Dunbar Tower, Eastern Bay, The Colony, etc. I would love to actually see the studio where We're Alive was recorded, but I don't know if that is possible...

Any other ideas for things to do?

Let's go, folks! Sign up for the Convoy! This is going to be a once-in-a-lifetime kind of adventure!!!

Oh my god! One day in and you've pretty much got it sorted! Even if we make particular tweaks ands considerations, I'm glad we've got you on board to plan ahead.

I'm liking the ideas that you've posted regarding stop-points & places of intetest to visit. We're only going to do this once, so might as well make the most of it. Even if we split the planned sites between the journey to and the journey from, we've got one hell of an adventure in the making.

I'm really looking forward to meeting fellow fans and the cast & crew of WA. The archive footage and transcripts that we will record are going to make for some epic documentaries :D

7oddisdead
Jan 17th, 2014, 01:15 PM
^lit^
^this^ is why your event planner and I'm supply planner.

all the above sounds good to me. I'll say this in advance. If we get a bunch of different fly in times pre-trip my duplex is certainly open for visitors. Its not large but its better than the oil soaked alternative of staying at my shop!

camping is a good call, id say we can make the first leg of the trip into new Mexico first day. That will give us some wonderful scenery for camping.

tonyhind86
Jan 17th, 2014, 01:19 PM
camping is a good call, id say we can make the first leg of the trip into new Mexico first day. That will give us some wonderful scenery for camping.

I'm a big fan of camping - as long as we have a campfire, stories and a few beers, it'll be way better than staying at any hotel, motel or other establishment.

Gooer
Jan 17th, 2014, 02:20 PM
We should visit Locked 'n' Loaded and Wayside flowers.....just cuz they're pretty important places too....

I'm getting so hyped up about this, and we're only one day into planning.... I will definitely try to come, sounds like one hell of an adventure! I just made a savings account that will all go into this....

7oddisdead
Jan 17th, 2014, 02:27 PM
As one who does this sort of countryside travelling on a yearly basis, I can say that having 1500(us) on hand for a trip like this is a safe number to shoot for.

as a point of reference, my 6day trip to Biloxi, ms last year ran me right 800. No, I was not fugal with my expenses..but it is a good barometer to what one could feasibly end up spending.

Kc
Jan 17th, 2014, 02:48 PM
A few people have asked about my involvement in this, and I want to help where I can. Just to be clear, leading up to the events I will be EXTREMELY busy with editing, rehearsals, event planning, etc... Some of the places on the map don't actually exist in real life, but some do.

For instance, Cain hospital is a real place (not called that of course), and those murals that Burt describes are real. That'd be cool to see. Dunbar is real, Liberty Park is real (the colony), um... The Arena does not, neither does the Tower, and Eastern Bay.

Also, there was some interest in seeing where we record everything. If time permits the day after, I wouldn't mind giving a tour. I think I'll be staying in LA near the venue that night, and heading back to where I live, which is about 30 miles south and where the recording place is.

Just wanted to throw that out there.

Litmaster
Jan 17th, 2014, 02:54 PM
A few people have asked about my involvement in this, and I want to help where I can. Just to be clear, leading up to the events I will be EXTREMELY busy with editing, rehearsals, event planning, etc... Some of the places on the map don't actually exist in real life, but some do.

For instance, Cain hospital is a real place (not called that of course), and those murals that Burt describes are real. That'd be cool to see. Dunbar is real, Liberty Park is real (the colony), um... The Arena does not, neither does the Tower, and Eastern Bay.

Also, there was some interest in seeing where we record everything. If time permits the day after, I wouldn't mind giving a tour. I think I'll be staying in LA near the venue that night, and heading back to where I live, which is about 30 miles south and where the recording place is.

Awesome! That's great, Kc!
As far as the Tower, i think we can look for Spring st. (I think) and ask some residents to hang up a WA banner for a picture! I'm good with finagling these kinds of things...

Gooer
Jan 17th, 2014, 02:55 PM

That would be awesome, we could get to see where the magic of We're Alive happens....

Elisa
Jan 17th, 2014, 02:55 PM

Dang Kc, I thought the Arena was the Rose Bowl. I thought the Tower actually existed in Downtown. I thought Eastern Bay was the Men's County Jail. I guess my imagination went wild. :rolleyes:

7oddisdead
Jan 17th, 2014, 03:00 PM

all good sir, actually something to consider is the day of the event you could have a van full of gophers at your disposal.

as for seeing some of the sights from the story, something we could coordinate would be between myself, lit, you, and cabbage patch getting accurate locations for a la tour. I think we all know you will be busy as hell right around that time, but with a little pre planning we could get the right people who aren't involved in that to take us on a tour.

and the studio tour the following day would be AWESOME. But, I'm totally saying this right now, we will take what we can get and be happy. Period. You do not have to put yourself out for us. That was not the purpose of this at all. I just wanted to make a cool drive cooler by bringing some friends along who may not have come out otherwise.

carry on
todd-0

tonyhind86
Jan 17th, 2014, 03:03 PM

Just the opportunity to meet you and find out where the magic happens would be an honour.

Obviously the Tower and the Arena don't exist; they were destroyed :D haha

Gooer
Jan 17th, 2014, 03:04 PM
Dang Kc, I thought the Arena was the Rose Bowl. I thought the Tower actually existed in Downtown. I thought Eastern Bay was the Men's County Jail. I guess my imagination went wild. :rolleyes:

I clicked like, says someone disliked it: not sure if it bugged, cuz it says i can still dislike the post....odd...

P.S. I can't like anyones posts - is there a limit?

Kc
Jan 17th, 2014, 03:21 PM

Some are based on locations and such, but some exist in their own true form. There's a location based for everything, so you can visit WHERE the tower's supposed to be.

I clicked like, says someone disliked it: not sure if it bugged, cuz it says i can still dislike the post....odd...

P.S. I can't like anyones posts - is there a limit?

There's a timer set on it, so yes. It's not a huge timer, it's just meant to prevent spam. I've never seen "Dislike" used. We might just disable it.

Gooer
Jan 17th, 2014, 04:24 PM
Some are based on locations and such, but some exist in their own true form. There's a location based for everything, so you can visit WHERE the tower's supposed to be.

There's a timer set on it, so yes. It's not a huge timer, it's just meant to prevent spam. I've never seen "Dislike" used. We might just disable it.

Good idea.

turbo
Jan 17th, 2014, 05:38 PM
Haha this would be awesome guys. I'll see if time permits! Would definitely be a way to see the show end!

tonyhind86
Jan 17th, 2014, 10:54 PM
It'll be interesting if there's a Q&A with the cast and crew after the live show, because there's usually a lot of questions posted from the forum - the way things are looking, most of us will be in the audience :)

Litmaster
Jan 18th, 2014, 05:12 PM
I guess flying to IL would be swifter and cheaper, and for the benefits of participating in this epic road trip, I would gladly contribute to the fuel and supplies expenses. To be honest, i've said that I always wanted to visit the States - this way, I'll get to see more of it, and with great company as well.

Just be sure to bring some of that Newkie Brown Ale with you... :)

tonyhind86
Jan 18th, 2014, 05:59 PM
Just be sure to bring some of that Newkie Brown Ale with you... :)

I'll see if I can get some over. Can't have a good road trip without a good old bottle of Broon Ale :)

Shrunken
Jan 18th, 2014, 07:28 PM
I can't wait for these videos. I would love to come but no way can I do it. (Wife and kids) But this sounds amazing so I'm up for helping however I can. I can get the Brown Ale for you's at least. I will live vicariously through your videos and posts.

7oddisdead
Jan 19th, 2014, 01:32 AM
Well if were talking about bringing over some ales...

I'm partial to Samuel smiths nut brown. How far from tadcaster are you blokes?

see what I did there? I'm not even sure what I did. Damn you gentleman jack! *shakes a single fist, falls over*

Shrunken
Jan 19th, 2014, 01:55 AM
Way less than the journey you have ahead of you

Gooer
Jan 19th, 2014, 03:07 AM

see what I did there? I'm not even sure what I did. Damn you gentleman jack! *shakes a single fist, falls over*

About 123 miles away.....and tony is about 90 miles away from Tadcaster......

tonyhind86
Jan 19th, 2014, 03:21 AM

There's an off-license in my local area that sells a wide range of ales - I'll check to see if they sell Samuel Smith's.

It's ironic that I live in Newcastle upon Tyne yet they don't brew Brown Ale here anymore. Shame really, as they demolished the brewery and built student housing on it instead.

Shrunken
Jan 19th, 2014, 05:06 AM
There's an off-license in my local area that sells a wide range of ales - I'll check to see if they sell Samuel Smith's.

It's ironic that I live in Newcastle upon Tyne yet they don't brew Brown Ale here anymore. Shame really, as they demolished the brewery and built student housing on it instead.

You can always just get it from the original source. The Tyne. Wallsend really where the water is at its brownest

tonyhind86
Jan 19th, 2014, 05:15 AM
You can always just get it from the original source. The Tyne. Wallsend really where the water is at its brownest

You should see how brown the water is outside my office. I work near the Scotswood Bridge and it gets so brown it looks like it can be walked on. :D

Gooer
Jan 19th, 2014, 10:09 AM
You should see how brown the water is outside my office. I work near the Scotswood Bridge and it gets so brown it looks like it can be walked on. :D

Sounds lovely... wouldn't mind swimming in that

tonyhind86
Jan 19th, 2014, 10:22 AM
Sounds lovely... wouldn't mind swimming in that

It would be interesting to see if you still say that after smelling the water during low tide - it can get quite bad haha :)

Litmaster
Jan 19th, 2014, 11:25 AM
It would be interesting to see if you still say that after smelling the water during low tide - it can get quite bad haha :)

This one's for you, Tony!

tonyhind86
Jan 19th, 2014, 11:34 AM

This one's for you, Tony!

Nice one! I'll have to teach you some Geordie phrases and get you fully intered as an adopted Newcastle resident :)

Hope you're having a good session :)

skankyfish
Jan 19th, 2014, 12:42 PM
You guys, with your road trip plans you are making me *jealous*. There's no way I can find the funds for a trip like that, or I'd be with you in a heartbeat. Planning a viewing/listening party instead, to be with you all in spirit :)

tonyhind86
Jan 19th, 2014, 12:50 PM
You guys, with your road trip plans you are making me *jealous*. There's no way I can find the funds for a trip like that, or I'd be with you in a heartbeat. Planning a viewing/listening party instead, to be with you all in spirit :)

There will be plenty of videos and blog updates during the journey, maybe even a live feed if we can get connectivity to skype or another similar media. As long as you've got a vessel of alcohol, an audio output and a computer screen, you'll be with us on the journey :)

Litmaster
Jan 19th, 2014, 01:35 PM
We'll have to come up with some live segments, like "Bottoms Up!" where we are drinking live and in sync with Forumites from around the world...

I'll have to think about it, but it should be a trip that everyone can participate in, whether live or virtually...

Maybe we can turn it into an online drinking game, where every time we take a picture of some stupid cheesy piece of Americana like a "World's Largest Pickle" or something, everyone playing on the Forum has to take a drink... We should hit one of these every 2 miles or so on Rt. 66...

7oddisdead
Jan 19th, 2014, 04:59 PM
Have to check it out a bit more, but for live road feeds out best bet will most likely be google hangout. I'll fart around looking at options this week. It definitely seems doable though

:hsugh:

Litmaster
Jan 19th, 2014, 05:33 PM
I'll have to teach you some Geordie phrases and get you fully intered as an adopted Newcastle resident

Oh, that would make for a hilarious video, especially when we're 'mortal drunk' 'round the campfire one night...

scbubba
Jan 20th, 2014, 03:55 AM
Oh snap! You have no idea how tempting this is for me. I just don't see how this is going to be possible to get in on. Got so much stuff that will be coming to a head this summer that it's just not going to be possible for me.

%$^@#$@%^$^&#%^&*@!!!!!

Anyway, this is just the most awesome idea and I'm glad to see that folks are getting in on it. I'll be looking forward to seeing/hearing/reading about it. Hopefully in near realtime. I could see a documentary coming out of this too....

Good on ya, 7odd for starting this!

Litmaster
Jan 20th, 2014, 10:14 AM
I'm bumping this thread since we have so many people online right now.

Come on, folks! Join us on the W/A Convoy Road Trip!!!

tonyhind86
Jan 20th, 2014, 10:18 AM
Oh, that would make for a hilarious video, especially when we're 'mortal drunk' 'round the campfire one night...

The force is strong with you :)

turbo
Jan 20th, 2014, 03:15 PM
What are your estimates on fuel/rental/rooms so far?

7oddisdead
Jan 20th, 2014, 03:36 PM
Rooms I've not looked into. In truth in waiting to here where the finale will be, as that will dictate where we stay.

fuel depends on how many go. Rates on a 12 pass van are much greater than say, a ford edge suv. Top end right now is 2000 round trip. Low end 1200. Roughly. It looks lime it will average out to around 200 each no matter what happens.

rental prices are my concern. I said that up front. I planned this trip regardless of anyone else going. But basic pricing looks to be between 400-650 for a weeks rental.

Litmaster
Jan 20th, 2014, 04:17 PM
Rooms I've not looked into. In truth in waiting to here where the finale will be, as that will dictate where we stay.

fuel depends on how many go. Rates on a 12 pass van are much greater than say, a ford edge suv. Top end right now is 2000 round trip. Low end 1200. Roughly. It looks lime it will average out to around 200 each no matter what happens.

rental prices are my concern. I said that up front. I planned this trip regardless of anyone else going. But basic pricing looks to be between 400-650 for a weeks rental.

Which is exactly why we need more people to sign up! LET'S GO, PEOPLE! JOIN US!!!

7oddisdead
Jan 20th, 2014, 04:32 PM
Which is exactly why we need more people to sign up! LET'S GO, PEOPLE! JOIN US!!!

honestly, as much as I want to take a large group out there. The car-guy in me says a smaller group means a cooler car.

I'm picturing blasting down route 66 in a dodge magnum srt8 with 400hp at my foot. That would be fun.....:hsugh:

Litmaster
Jan 20th, 2014, 04:51 PM
We want YOU!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f3/Uncle_Sam_(pointing_finger).jpg

To sign up for the We're Alive Convoy Road Trip!

Litmaster
Jan 20th, 2014, 04:53 PM
honestly, as much as I want to take a large group out there. The car-guy in me says a smaller group means a cooler car.

I'm picturing blasting down route 66 in a dodge magnum srt8 with 400hp at my foot. That would be fun.....:hsugh:

I'd say 4 people minimum. But I would prefer a group of 10 or so...

7oddisdead
Jan 20th, 2014, 04:57 PM
I agree completely. Also check your phone phucker!

7oddisdead
Jan 20th, 2014, 10:59 PM
first, post 1500. are my eyes back yet? no?

after some consideration. ive decided that we need to set some hard dates for the trip. by "hard" I don't mean 100% set in stone but good numbers we can work around.

trip will be july 16th through the 21st
leaving Illinois the morning of the 16th.
two overnight stops before arriving in la on the evening of the 18th.
sunday the 20th leave to head back to Illinois. pretty much a balls out drive to arrive back LATE on the 21st.

and im going to set a confirmation deadline of april 1st. why april fools? well, by the first of april it should be apparent to anyone wanting to go if they will actually be able to. by then those with time constraints(time off work) should know, and those with money constraints ($$doh)...yea. ah, and by "confirmation" I mean.."saying that barring absolute catastrophe you will be there(Illinois) heh, when I come to the airport to get you

by doing this, I can get the vehicle ideas together more clearly. in all honesty its difficult to tell people how much we will spend on gas for the trip without knowing how many people will be going. the variables there are too many. also another option im considering is if our group is in the 5-7 range of people, theres a good chance our transportation wont be rented but owned by me. I can honestly control the fuel economy better by having a vehicle that I can prep for this sort of trip beforehand, and myself and my brothers have discussed doing something like that recently. keep in mind im a car guy, almost more-so than a w/a guy.

and probly most importantly in my mind is lodging while in La dictates the april deadline. the reason for that is two fold. as a group, simplicity makes our lives easier. we will want to all be reserved at the same hotel. I truly have no idea just how far in advance we are going to need to reserve our rooms, but im pretty sure the sooner the better. the other reason is this.

in addition to this trip. I propose that those coming in from other parts of the west coast coordinate their lodging with ours. that way, even after the live event we are all returning to the same hotel. I know for myself personally, ive spent a lot of time interacting with all of you on the forum. but just the last couple days getting to know steve(litmasterIRL) I can tell talking in real life will be something that last's long before the live event....and long after.

and finally. going forward from here as we need to keep the forum at large with the info going on with the trip. I will be firing up the ol' blog. information tends to get buried in the mire of those talking back and forth in normal threads. the blog will give us a simple place to share pertinent info.

bonjoir!
todd-0

tonyhind86
Jan 20th, 2014, 11:19 PM
first, post 1500. are my eyes back yet? no?

after some consideration. ive decided that we need to set some hard dates for the trip. by "hard" I don't mean 100% set in stone but good numbers we can work around.

trip will be july 16th through the 21st
leaving Illinois the morning of the 16th.
two overnight stops before arriving in la on the evening of the 18th.
sunday the 20th leave to head back to Illinois. pretty much a balls out drive to arrive back LATE on the 21st.

and im going to set a confirmation deadline of april 1st. why april fools? well, by the first of april it should be apparent to anyone wanting to go if they will actually be able to. by then those with time constraints(time off work) should know, and those with money constraints ($$doh)...yea. ah, and by "confirmation" I mean.."saying that barring absolute catastrophe you will be there(Illinois) heh, when I come to the airport to get you

by doing this, I can get the vehicle ideas together more clearly. in all honesty its difficult to tell people how much we will spend on gas for the trip without knowing how many people will be going. the variables there are too many. also another option im considering is if our group is in the 5-7 range of people, theres a good chance our transportation wont be rented but owned by me. I can honestly control the fuel economy better by having a vehicle that I can prep for this sort of trip beforehand, and myself and my brothers have discussed doing something like that recently. keep in mind im a car guy, almost more-so than a w/a guy.

and probly most importantly in my mind is lodging while in La dictates the april deadline. the reason for that is two fold. as a group, simplicity makes our lives easier. we will want to all be reserved at the same hotel. I truly have no idea just how far in advance we are going to need to reserve our rooms, but im pretty sure the sooner the better. the other reason is this.

in addition to this trip. I propose that those coming in from other parts of the west coast coordinate their lodging with ours. that way, even after the live event we are all returning to the same hotel. I know for myself personally, ive spent a lot of time interacting with all of you on the forum. but just the last couple days getting to know steve(litmasterIRL) I can tell talking in real life will be something that last's long before the live event....and long after.

and finally. going forward from here as we need to keep the forum at large with the info going on with the trip. I will be firing up the ol' blog. information tends to get buried in the mire of those talking back and forth in normal threads. the blog will give us a simple place to share pertinent info.

bonjoir!
todd-0

The time off I've booked falls perfectly in line with the proposed dates. I'm gearing up to make early bookings on everything to see what kind of deals and discounts I can get.

This is gonna be great, and it will stay with us for quite a while :)

turbo
Jan 20th, 2014, 11:31 PM

I do this every trip that i have to rent a car...big sports car ;) Was talking with friends that i'm going with that if we fly, we might go with a nicer car. I've looked into Maserati and Aston Martin's heheh

turbo
Jan 20th, 2014, 11:32 PM
But we'll probably stick with a stang or Challenger. I had that last time in LA, it was sweet...would never buy one though...

Litmaster
Jan 21st, 2014, 04:19 AM
Turbo, just have your friends meet you in St. Louis and you all can come with us!

Witch_Doctor
Jan 21st, 2014, 04:58 AM

Nah, it's gonna be ALL audio! :D

Witch_Doctor
Jan 21st, 2014, 05:00 AM
Sure, sure...

Now THAT'S funny.

Witch_Doctor
Jan 21st, 2014, 05:06 AM
@litmaster
the 72oz steak challenge? FUUUUUUUUU....MAYBE. that's a lot of meat, somebody else will have to drive after that. but im down!

Somebody check her eyes! I think she was bitten!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFLipEvNEf4

Witch_Doctor
Jan 21st, 2014, 05:18 AM
A few people have asked about my involvement in this, and I want to help where I can. Just to be clear, leading up to the events I will be EXTREMELY busy with editing, rehearsals, event planning, etc...

"Totally, you do your thing."

tonyhind86
Jan 21st, 2014, 06:11 AM
Nah, it's gonna be ALL audio! :D

It should be, as I've been told I have a face for radio :)

cdreger780
Jan 21st, 2014, 01:12 PM
I'm in Champaign, IL and would be happy to join a cross-country adventure to LA. Please let me know the details.

7oddisdead
Jan 21st, 2014, 01:15 PM
I'm in Champaign, IL and would be happy to join a cross-country adventure to LA. Please let me know the details.

all current details can be found in this thread. As things are arranged and finalized, this thread and future blog posts will have all the info.

Grognaurd
Jan 21st, 2014, 01:17 PM
NO!

7id went to the darkside, he destroyed LA

Gooer
Jan 21st, 2014, 01:17 PM
Somebody check her eyes! I think she was bitten!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFLipEvNEf4

.....Damn......

7oddisdead
Jan 21st, 2014, 01:20 PM
NO!

7id went to the darkside, he destroyed LA

but I did it for love!!!(who am I kidding, ya'll know me better than that)...

figure anything out yet, groggy?

also I notice witch doc posted in here but didn't say yay or nay. Talk to the wife, doc. Old farts united!

Witch_Doctor
Jan 21st, 2014, 01:28 PM
but I did it for love!!!(who am I kidding, ya'll know me better than that)...

figure anything out yet, groggy?

also I notice witch doc posted in here but didn't say yay or nay. Talk to the wife, doc. Old farts united!

Just got back from an NYC trip with her and her friends. I think she can't deny me this, after that trip. ( But i still have to ask. )

7oddisdead
Jan 21st, 2014, 01:33 PM
Just got back from an NYC trip with her and her friends. I think she can't deny me this, after that trip. ( But i still have to ask. )

the smile on my beard is big. My fingers are crossed my friend

turbo
Jan 21st, 2014, 01:38 PM
I think we will be flying, but definitely want to meet up with y'all when you get in! Here's a tip, I use Priceline a lot, end up getting 4 star hotels for cheap. So I don't reserve a room till that day, seems risky but most likely there are always rooms nearby.

7oddisdead
Jan 21st, 2014, 01:49 PM
Counter-tip.

I go to large car shows every year. I know that the day most car "clubs" check into their rooms they reserve for the following year. It really does depend on the hotel chain. But with some you can get a group discount by reserving all your rooms together and in advance.

turbo
Jan 21st, 2014, 01:54 PM
This is true!

Side note...have a collector car?

7oddisdead
Jan 21st, 2014, 01:59 PM
Tangent:

I'm actually a "truck" guy more than a car guy. Specifically Nissans and datsuns. I did just get rid of a 71 ford f250 camper special all original paint perfect everything else restored. Was a beautiful old truck. But, I can't hang on to things like that too long once their done.

currently we have three projects for the year. All trucks, all frame up builds. But after that I have been keeping my eyes out for an 50s era dodge sedan.

>tangent

kek
Jan 21st, 2014, 03:18 PM
I... I have been away from this forum for far too long (damn you school!) And I come back to see this... I want to do this! Sounds freaking awesome. I missed this place...

kek
Jan 21st, 2014, 03:20 PM
Oh, and I forgot to mention above... I will graduate in May so this is PERFECT! I will have my big girl nursing job for long enough to spend all the money I make :D

7oddisdead
Jan 21st, 2014, 03:29 PM
Katie!!

holy crap yes! Make it happen!

kek
Jan 21st, 2014, 03:33 PM
I heard about it and I want to make it happen so much!!! I haven't talked to anyone on here in forever. I will do all I can, depends on if I can take off at whatever job I get after graduating. It sounds like a shit ton of fun

tonyhind86
Jan 21st, 2014, 03:40 PM
I heard about it and I want to make it happen so much!!! I haven't talked to anyone on here in forever. I will do all I can, depends on if I can take off at whatever job I get after graduating. It sounds like a shit ton of fun

Hope you can make it, it's gonna be epic :)

kek
Jan 21st, 2014, 03:41 PM
Hope you can make it, it's gonna be epic :)

I'm leaning towards making it... This is too good to pass up

Litmaster
Jan 21st, 2014, 04:19 PM
Ok, folks! I have been working today on securing a rough itinerary for the road trip, so here it goes!

It is assumed that you can all fly/drive in to 7odd's place on the evening of the 15th, so we can all be there and start fresh and early on the morning of the 16th...

WA ROAD TRIP: DAY ONE (Wednesday, July 16th)

7odd's Milk Farm to Meramec Caverns, MO (2 hour drive)
http://www.foodmatters.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/dairy.jpg

(Ok Todd, so you probably don't really live on a dairy farm, but just go with it...)

COME SEE the caverns where JESSIE JAMES once hid out from the law
http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/02/1f/e7/fa/meramec-caverns.jpg

Meramec Caverns to Tulsa, OK Attractions (5 hour drive)
http://www.lasvegasbussales.com/UserFiles/Image/tulsa-1.jpg

Haven't yet determined this, but we will see some AWESOME, KICK ASS things in Tulsa!

Tulsa, OK to Amarillo, TX (5 1/2 hour drive)
http://www.ronsaari.com/stockImages/route66/cadillacRanch2.jpg

COME WITH US as we visit the famed CADILLAC RANCH in Amarillo, Texas! Then get ready for an AWESOME dinner at...
http://www.theprairienews.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/img_0512-1024x682.jpg

The BIG TEXAN STEAK RANCH in Amarillo, TX! OBSERVE history being made as our very own 7ODD IS DEAD will TACKLE the historic 72 OUNCE STEAK CHALLENGE, bringing FAME and GLORY to all We're Alive Forumites!

After that, it's camping, mucho beer consumption, (or moderate consumption of wine coolers, or no consumption, depending upon one's preference) and stories/games at an Amarillo-area campsite!

TOTAL W.A. LISTENING TIME: 12 1/2 HOURS

Litmaster
Jan 21st, 2014, 05:01 PM
WA ROAD TRIP: DAY TWO (Thursday, July 17th)

Amarillo Campground to Roswell, NM (3 1/2 hour drive)
http://forum.belmont.edu/40states/alien_sm.jpg

CATER to your INNER ALIEN at the birthplace of alien landings: ROSWELL, NEW MEXICO! Area 51 has never seen anything stranger than a HORDE OF WE'RE ALIVE FORUMITES descending on this unsuspecting town! It's gonna be INCREDIBLE!!!

Roswell, NM to Albuquerque, NM (3 hour drive)
http://i.huffpost.com/gen/1335888/thumbs/o-179519965-570.jpg?1

Fasten your seat belts for a memorable stop in the A.B.Q., when the We're Alive Convoy stops off for a do-it-yourself tour of various real-life locations featured in the awesome AMC series, "Breaking Bad"! Possible locations include WALT & SKYLER'S HOUSE, TUCO'S HEADQUARTERS, WENDY'S CROSSROADS MOTEL, and finishing off with a terrific lunch at Jesse Pinkman's favorite hot dog joint: THE DOG HOUSE! Come on, now... haven't you always wanted to step up to the counter and yell, "Chilli Dog, BITCH!"
(BTW if you've never seen 'Breaking Bad'
1. What the hell is wrong with you?
2. What rock have you been living under for the past 5 years?
3. You've just missed perhaps the best written show on television. Get on Netflix! This is your required homework between now and July!)

Albuquerque, NM to Flagstaff, AZ (4 1/2 hour drive)
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/5a/Flagstaff_AZ_-_downtown_hotel.jpg

Now, this is optional, but we could make a quick stop in Flagstaff for some COOL, AS YET UNDETERMINED ATTRACTIONS or just push on to our next stop for the day...

http://images.boomsbeat.com/data/images/full/617/1-jpg.jpg

Camping at the GRAND CANYON NATIONAL PARK!!! Imagine, you can be one of the first people IN THE WORLD to listen to Burt's voice echoing off the canyon walls of one of the most MEMORABLE national monuments IN THE WORLD! Followed by of course more beer swilling (in responsible moderation and with the utmost discernment) and drinking stories (or uplifting, 'Chickin-Soup-for-the-Soul-esque anecdotes) until we all pass out... (of exhaustion, exuberation, or inebriation...depending upon one's preference :cool:)

TOTAL W.A. LISTENING TIME: 12 1/2 HOURS

7oddisdead
Jan 21st, 2014, 05:06 PM
Jesus dude. Your really selling me on this trip, and I'm already on it. Vince of shamWOW fame has nothing on your sales pitch!

loving all this so far. Later tonight I'll update traveling options once I get home.

Litmaster
Jan 21st, 2014, 05:39 PM
WA ROAD TRIP: DAY THREE (Friday, July 18th)

Grand Canyon to Sitgreaves Pass, AZ (3 1/2 hour drive)
http://static.photo.net/attachments/bboard/00O/00O1EE-40991084.JPG

Nothing like capping off a trip to the Grand Canyon like taking a 9 mile trip through TWISTING, TURNING ROADS along a DEATH-DEFYING STRETCH of the old historic Route 66 highway on the way to L.A.! Many scenic photo-ops available!!

Sitgreaves Pass to Ft. Irwin / Yermo / Barstow, CA (3 hour drive)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/68/Fort_Irwin_NTC_sign.jpg/800px-Fort_Irwin_NTC_sign.jpg
Finally! Into We're Alive territory! We at last enter the Golden State and into our first real-life taste of Kc's story: stops at FT. IRWIN, YERMO, AND BARSTOW, CALIFORNIA!!! You can RELIVE the adventures of our audio heroes on the ground they actually (fictionally) walked! IMAGINE yourself in the gun turret of Puck's hummer as you stare out over the desert sands!

Ft. Irwin to Los Angeles, CA (2 1/2 hour drive)
http://higherlogicdownload.s3.amazonaws.com/MYEWGA/4ff8a80a-bf78-4f04-be81-38025ffe55f7/UploadedImages/los-angeles.jpg

Then it's on to the final stop of our trip, the HOMELAND of the We're Alive story... LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA!!! There we will bed down for the night at an EPIC HOTEL where you will get to MEET other WE'RE ALIVE FANS from around the world!! ENJOY the first class (or second or third class) accommodations! MINGLE with FORUMITES from around the world! RELAX in the hotel's spa (or not, if it's a sucky one) while you pontificate about We're Alive trivia! And of course, the BEER (or wine, or orange juice, soda, Red Bull, water, or Peruvian goat milk) will be flowing!!!

TOTAL W.A. LISTENING TIME: 9 HOURS

Litmaster
Jan 21st, 2014, 06:05 PM
W.A. ROAD TRIP: DAY FOUR (Saturday, July 19th)

We're Alive Location Tour around Los Angeles!

JOIN US as we traverse around L.A. in the one convoy that will NOT be ambushed by Ink as we visit several REAL LIFE LOCATIONS which inspired K.C. for the We're Alive story!
http://www.tubefilter.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/were-alive-podcast.jpg

Real-life locations that are featured in the We're Alive story could likely include:

Kane (Cain?) General Hospital
Dunbar apartments
Ground Zero
the Golf Course in Gardena
Saul/Michael/Angel's Army Base in Bell
the Twin Towers Prison

As an added bonus, this tour will be hosted by none other than the lovely WE'RE ALIVE CAST MEMBER MEMBER JENNA MCCOMBIE!

http://srigley.powweb.com/isitabicycleblog/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/JennaHead.jpg

(Uh, o.k., this is a total lie, but I wish to hell it were true :D) But SERIOUSLY, then it's off that evening to what everyone has been waiting for...

The Final We're Alive Live Event!

http://thegaminggang.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Werealivelive.jpg

HANG OUT with K.C. and the crew during the FINAL live event of the We're Alive series! LISTEN to the final episode a full week earlier than the rest of the world, then get to GIVE K.C. SHIT about how it didn't turn out like you wanted! MEET several members of the cast and crew! HANG OUT with 7oddisdead, Litmaster, Witch Doctor, Mick, Redbeard, Red Shirt, tonyhind86, Kek, and Gooer at the OPEN BAR, PAID FOR IN FULL BY K.C. WAYLAND!!!

TOTAL W.A. LISTENING TIME: 5 HOURS (approximately)

kek
Jan 21st, 2014, 08:09 PM
I have to go on this now. No more trying, this sounds epic. The hospital I work at will have to deal with it! Litmaster, you are the master. You win. And so does 7odd for coming up with this idea and being relatively close to where I live.

tonyhind86
Jan 21st, 2014, 11:16 PM
HELL YEAH! Epic itinerary - this trip keeps becoming a better and better idea! :D

7oddisdead
Jan 22nd, 2014, 12:36 AM
alright. so ive came to a few travel decisions in the last day or so. these are all just options im throwing out there to see what the feelings are. nothing is set in stone, yadda, yadda, yadda...anyways.

it would seem that we are going to need to do the 12 passenger van no matter what. right now I believe we can safely say we will have at least 6 going on the trip. myself, litmaster, and tonyhind86 being at 95% sure, with a couple others REALLY wanting to make it happen. we are only maaaaaybe a week into planning. so yea, im pretty sure we can fill the van.

now, the option I want to put out there is this. ive been looking into the idea of renting the van for a "one way" trip. one of the things that could be making people a bit nervous about going on the trip is the return trip. driving balls out sunday 12pm will have us not returning to the Illinois area till about 10pm Monday. personally, I took the additional time off work to make this happen. but some may not be able to do so. ive looked into most of the major rental companies in my area, and the current pricing for a round trip rental is about a grand after tax and misc fees. a ONE WAY trip however, will kick the pricing up to 1500 +/-.

im not opposed to going with this option if nessecary. I totally understand time constraints as much as anyone. but at that price I may need some help covering part of the additional expense. again, nothing is set in stone. and I have been fully prepared to pay up to the 1000 for the rental on my own. im NOT flying anywhere, I don't have the additional expense many of you will have to get here. but if we choose to fly out of LA...yea.

I feel like with the current group we have going, the extra time Monday for return isn't a big deal. I just wanted to put what I have out there so everyone is aware that there are options.

speaking of options...lets say we end up with 13 people on the trip? what would we do? that's a bit cramped even for the super giant ford econoline van. in that case I would likely take one of my personal rides in addition to the van, gaining us another 2-3 seats. not ideal, no...but its an option if needed. and just think of the "smokey and the bandit" situations we could get into. me as the bandit running static and scouting ahead for smokeys while litmaster as cledus drives the cargo across state borders...let the hijinx ensue!

(ok, maybe im the only one who thinks that would be awesome...but dammit!!11!1elevendy1!!!! I do!)

so those who are on board, whats your opinion? does the extra day (Monday) affect ya? and those on the fence...does the idea of flying out of la on sunday sell ya on going any more? above all, we are trying make this as easy as possible for everyone involved.

todd-0

Grognaurd
Jan 22nd, 2014, 02:24 AM
I am in a bit of a catch 22. I have been out of work a while so money is tight, but I have all the time in the world. If I get a job, things reverse.

Right now, I am up near Montreal, so the collection point for the roadshow is still a long ways away.

Gooer
Jan 22nd, 2014, 03:26 AM
After reading all of this...... I must make the money. No matter how. I must make this trip.....

Argent
Jan 22nd, 2014, 09:25 AM
I'd like to throw my hat in the ring, but a couple things:

With all the beer talk, I want to say that I am not quite yet of legal drinking age. I don't care if anyone/everyone else does, and to my knowledge being around other people who do doesn't break any laws as long as I don't drink, but I want to put that out there in case that factors in.

Also, are the 15th - 21st hard dates for sure? I should be able to get them off but I want to know for sure so I can put in for them sooner rather than later.

Other than that, this really sounds like a great idea.

7oddisdead
Jan 22nd, 2014, 09:55 AM
I'd like to throw my hat in the ring, but a couple things:

With all the beer talk, I want to say that I am not quite yet of legal drinking age. I don't care if anyone/everyone else does, and to my knowledge being around other people who do doesn't break any laws as long as I don't drink, but I want to put that out there in case that factors in.

Also, are the 15th - 21st hard dates for sure? I should be able to get them off but I want to know for sure so I can put in for them sooner rather than later.

Other than that, this really sounds like a great idea.

firstly, welcome to the forum! hope you enjoy your time here!

second, all the beer talk is mainly litmaster being an adult on a bachelor-type vacation. as most of us get older, the opportunities for a trip like this become less and less. just my opinion, but lit is "playing up" the drinking part a bit. so far everyone involved is very laid back, no peer pressure here or anything. just a healthy cross-section of forum members at various ages out to have a good time.

and the dates I think are mostly 'hard' at this point. the only one that could be optional would be flying out of La on the 20th if need be. so 15th to 20th/21st.

Litmaster
Jan 22nd, 2014, 10:12 AM
Ok, sorry.... I may have gotten carried away with all the beer talk. But 7odd is right: I've been married now for almost 17 years, I've been raising two kids with my wife, and my social life for the past 10 years or so has been pretty much nonexistent. Hell, when you have little kids at home to take care of, even a night out with the wife to go to the movies is a big deal.

However, that is going to change this summer because she will be out of the country with the kids during the time of the trip, leaving me, temporarily, as a born-again bachelor for the first time in nearly 17 years. So yeah, I'm a little bit excited. Probably overexcited.

Argent
Jan 22nd, 2014, 10:18 AM
All right, thanks. Is there a rough headcount or anything so far? I know that it's a loooong ways away yet, so this I more for curiosity than anything else.

tonyhind86
Jan 22nd, 2014, 10:27 AM
alright. so ive came to a few travel decisions in the last day or so. these are all just options im throwing out there to see what the feelings are. nothing is set in stone, yadda, yadda, yadda...anyways.

it would seem that we are going to need to do the 12 passenger van no matter what. right now I believe we can safely say we will have at least 6 going on the trip. myself, litmaster, and tonyhind86 being at 95% sure, with a couple others REALLY wanting to make it happen. we are only maaaaaybe a week into planning. so yea, im pretty sure we can fill the van.

now, the option I want to put out there is this. ive been looking into the idea of renting the van for a "one way" trip. one of the things that could be making people a bit nervous about going on the trip is the return trip. driving balls out sunday 12pm will have us not returning to the Illinois area till about 10pm Monday. personally, I took the additional time off work to make this happen. but some may not be able to do so. ive looked into most of the major rental companies in my area, and the current pricing for a round trip rental is about a grand after tax and misc fees. a ONE WAY trip however, will kick the pricing up to 1500 +/-.

im not opposed to going with this option if nessecary. I totally understand time constraints as much as anyone. but at that price I may need some help covering part of the additional expense. again, nothing is set in stone. and I have been fully prepared to pay up to the 1000 for the rental on my own. im NOT flying anywhere, I don't have the additional expense many of you will have to get here. but if we choose to fly out of LA...yea.

I feel like with the current group we have going, the extra time Monday for return isn't a big deal. I just wanted to put what I have out there so everyone is aware that there are options.

speaking of options...lets say we end up with 13 people on the trip? what would we do? that's a bit cramped even for the super giant ford econoline van. in that case I would likely take one of my personal rides in addition to the van, gaining us another 2-3 seats. not ideal, no...but its an option if needed. and just think of the "smokey and the bandit" situations we could get into. me as the bandit running static and scouting ahead for smokeys while litmaster as cledus drives the cargo across state borders...let the hijinx ensue!

(ok, maybe im the only one who thinks that would be awesome...but dammit!!11!1elevendy1!!!! I do!)

so those who are on board, whats your opinion? does the extra day (Monday) affect ya? and those on the fence...does the idea of flying out of la on sunday sell ya on going any more? above all, we are trying make this as easy as possible for everyone involved.

todd-0

I've booked time off between the 16-23rd July, but can add extra dates if the need arises. And I'm a pretty small guy so I'll probably fit in a childs booster seat :D

One week in and this trip is already legendary! I'm so thrilled and honoured to be a part of it :)

7oddisdead
Jan 22nd, 2014, 10:46 AM
Ok, sorry.... I may have gotten carried away with all the beer talk. But 7odd is right: I've been married now for almost 17 years, I've been raising two kids with my wife, and my social life for the past 10 years or so has been pretty much nonexistent. Hell, when you have little kids at home to take care of, even a night out with the wife to go to the movies is a big deal.

However, that is going to change this summer because she will be out of the country with the kids during the time of the trip, leaving me, temporarily, as a born-again bachelor for the first time in nearly 17 years. So yeah, I'm a little bit excited. Probably overexcited.

don't get my above statement wrong, I applaud your excitement and feel the same way. campfires and beers for sure!

and argent, I think we are at about six right now . as we move forward ill make a list.

Gooer
Jan 22nd, 2014, 10:50 AM
I just realised, the Legal drinking age for USA is 21 isnt it? Because in the UK its 18.....and I'm 18.....seems i wont be drinking with you guys (if i manage to come)

tonyhind86
Jan 22nd, 2014, 10:57 AM
I just realised, the Legal drinking age for USA is 21 isnt it? Because in the UK its 18.....and I'm 18.....seems i wont be drinking with you guys (if i manage to come)

Damn, that's crap luck! I'll organise a whip round and get you a McLovin fake ID :D

Litmaster
Jan 22nd, 2014, 11:35 AM
So far everyone involved is very laid back, no peer pressure here or anything. just a healthy cross-section of forum members at various ages out to have a good time.

Yeah, I haven't really thought about the age issue until now, but I guess its to be expected that we'll have some mixed ages on the trip. So it will be like a weird family reunion, only with zombies. :)

We probably should have a loose age limit on the trip, like: if you have to ask your mom permission to go, then you're probably too young to be on the WA Convoy.

On the other end of the age spectrum, if you are already dead, then you're probably too old to be on the trip.

Everyone else between those two age limits is the perfect age to get in the van! :yay:

7oddisdead
Jan 22nd, 2014, 11:39 AM
While I know Tony is joking, this came up in a conversation litmaster and I had offline.

while I know most of you on here, I don't KNOW you in real life. Certain aspects of life some people keep to themselves. I'm sure none of this really needs said. But its best to play it safe and say it.

if anything you bring on the trip or do during the trip could get YOU arrested/in trouble with Jonny law. It affects all of us. Don't bring it or do it! Less headaches the better.

this has been your one and only moment of responsible talk from me. Carry on :)

tonyhind86
Jan 22nd, 2014, 11:40 AM
We probably should have a loose age limit on the trip, like: if you have to ask your mom permission to go, then you're probably too young to be on the WA Convoy.

Unless she's a MILF, then by all means bring her along :D

Litmaster
Jan 22nd, 2014, 11:40 AM
I've looked into most of the major rental companies in my area, and the current pricing for a round trip rental is about a grand after tax and misc fees. a ONE WAY trip however, will kick the pricing up to 1500 +/-.

Wait a second, I'm confused. Wouldn't it be a round trip rental anyway? What are you going to do, walk back to Illinois?

7oddisdead
Jan 22nd, 2014, 11:43 AM
Unless she's a MILF, then by all means bring her along :D

inappropriate...but I can't "like" this enough LMFAO

tonyhind86
Jan 22nd, 2014, 11:44 AM
While I know Tony is joking, this came up in a conversation litmaster and I had offline.

while I know most of you on here, I don't KNOW you in real life. Certain aspects of life some people keep to themselves. I'm sure none of this really needs said. But its best to play it safe and say it.

if anything you bring on the trip or do during the trip could get YOU arrested/in trouble with Jonny law. It affects all of us. Don't bring it or do it! Less headaches the better.

this has been your one and only moment of responsible talk from me. Carry on :)

While I admit that I can be a bit irresponsible, I always make sure that I don't break the law or commit any action that would bring our group into disrepute. That's why I'm glad I don't have a record - there's nothing that would hinder me getting past security at the airport.

There'll be plenty of lighthearted joking and banter from me, but nothing too extreme :D

And that's my responsibility allowance for the week fully spent :)

7oddisdead
Jan 22nd, 2014, 11:45 AM
Wait a second, I'm confused. Wouldn't it be a round trip rental anyway? What are you going to do, walk back to Illinois?

I would end up flying back as well. Or driving separate if the van is full. We are spitballing fast n loose at the moment. I'm throwing ALL OPTIONS out there.

walking sucks. Screw that noise...

7oddisdead
Jan 22nd, 2014, 11:46 AM
While I admit that I can be a bit irresponsible, I always make sure that I don't break the law or commit any action that would bring our group into disrepute. That's why I'm glad I don't have a record - there's nothing that would hinder me getting past security at the airport.

There'll be plenty of lighthearted joking and banter from me, but nothing too extreme :D

And that's my responsibility allowance for the week fully spent :)

again. It just needed said. I think so far this is gonna be amazing...

tonyhind86
Jan 22nd, 2014, 11:54 AM
again. It just needed said. I think so far this is gonna be amazing...

I whole-heartedly agree with you on both facts - we'll have a great time, take away some great memories, meet some great like minded people and be part of a once-in-a-lifetime event :D

tonyhind86
Jan 22nd, 2014, 12:44 PM
P.S. I've suddenly found that over the last 7 days, I'm enjoying my job a lot more, and I've put in requests for tons of overtime so I can save more dollar for the trip :D

7oddisdead
Jan 22nd, 2014, 03:40 PM
Tiny update:

I finally quit procrastinating and joined the rest of the world. For any updates or questions about the convoy go ahead and follow me on the tweeter.

@_toddisdead

I literally just set that up, so it may be a minute before I get things rolling with it. But its there, and it will be used.

Kc
Jan 22nd, 2014, 04:00 PM
Tiny update:

I finally quit procrastinating and joined the rest of the world. For any updates or questions about the convoy go ahead and follow me on the tweeter.

@_toddisdead

I literally just set that up, so it may be a minute before I get things rolling with it. But its there, and it will be used.

Just added you.

tonyhind86
Jan 22nd, 2014, 04:04 PM
My handle is @Phoenix_TG

I'll head over and add you. Welcome to twatter :)

Anghil
Jan 22nd, 2014, 06:35 PM
Tony, we have pennies here in the U.S. They're useless and outdated, but we got 'em!

Red Shirt
Jan 22nd, 2014, 09:54 PM
On the other end of the age spectrum, if you are already dead, then you're probably too old to be on the trip.

But dead things is kinda the reason we're/you're making this trip. Then again, I'd rather not have the (un)dead in the van... I'd rather be taking pot shots at them out the window. :bunker:

Seriously though, just to confirm here what I mentioned over in the 42 1/3 thread, I can't really confirm either way until after I get Atlanta sorted.
That will probably happen by end of the month February at the latest. Trust me, I want go, very much so.

PS: For camping... maybe we/you should try to see if we can score a case of MRE's for dinner one night. Yes, as far as I know, Jambalaya is still on the MRE menu.

7oddisdead
Jan 22nd, 2014, 10:19 PM
Aw dude, your a genius and an ass for that! Civilians shouldn't ever have to eat those!

I can probly arrange it though ;):D

MrRedBeard
Jan 23rd, 2014, 12:48 AM
This is an incredible idea. I just got through skimming over the thread and I have to say I'm sold. I'll talk it over with Mick later and find out where he stands.

I like this idea a lot, but my life is currently chaos. Give me a couple of days to think...

But, I need your help. I have a terrible allergy to peanuts. I kid you not when I say that if people are chowing down on peanuts and tree nuts in the car, I will be sick and miserable. Worse, leave a gob of peanut butter on a door handle and I touch it could kill me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jy2YhxXn7NY&feature
I have a series of epipens I have never used :)

tonyhind86
Jan 23rd, 2014, 12:51 AM
Tony, we have pennies here in the U.S. They're useless and outdated, but we got 'em!

That's great, cos I'm gonna need a whole load of 'em :D

Litmaster
Jan 23rd, 2014, 01:47 AM
This is an incredible idea. I just got through skimming over the thread and I have to say I'm sold. I'll talk it over with Mick later and find out where he stands.

Awesome! Just imagine recording an episode of the We're Alive Fancast while overlooking the Grand Canyon!!!

tonyhind86
Jan 23rd, 2014, 01:49 AM
Awesome! Just imagine recording an episode of the We're Alive Fancast while overlooking the Grand Canyon!!!

Regarding your WA Convoy Support Team thread, especially post 1, looks like we have a couple of pros on board that could throw some good & interesting ideas in the mix :)

MrRedBeard
Jan 23rd, 2014, 08:47 AM

Sounds majestic! 7oddisdead and I's beards blowing in the wind... *Brings a tear to Grog's eye*. Yup that sounds perfect.

tonyhind86
Jan 23rd, 2014, 09:41 AM
Sounds majestic! 7oddisdead and I's beards blowing in the wind... *Brings a tear to Grog's eye*. Yup that sounds perfect.

Think I might let mine grow a bit longer - its currently at "Chuck Norris" length at the moment...

Gooer
Jan 23rd, 2014, 10:29 AM
This is becoming better and better everyday i come on here....

Litmaster
Jan 23rd, 2014, 10:44 AM

We're gonna need a separate van just for the beards!

tonyhind86
Jan 23rd, 2014, 11:37 AM
We're gonna need a separate van just for the beards!

Think we might have to comandeer a Greyhound...

7oddisdead
Jan 23rd, 2014, 11:06 PM
you guys are joking, but that's a very real thing to consider at this point.

basically, at the point we are at right now (not quite two weeks into planning) we could have ten people already, if those that have said they want to go....do. we still have another 2-2.5 months before the travelling group need to be finalized. this may be bigger than any of us (including my wallet) imagined.

yep, my wallet is a person. what?

Litmaster
Jan 24th, 2014, 02:33 AM
you guys are joking, but that's a very real thing to consider at this point this may be bigger than any of us (including my wallet) imagined.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/article7244530.ece/ALTERNATES/w300/http%3A-img.dailymail.co.uk-i-pix-2008-04_02-arielR0704_468x326.jpg

"...and here we see the We're Alive Convoy passing through downtown..."

OldtypeM87
Jan 24th, 2014, 03:11 AM
(I was not sure where to put this exactly, if it needs moved. do so)

well, it's happening. this show that we all love is coming to an end in july. as mentioned in the finale thread I plan to be there. while I don't believe KC has made it official yet, it looks like the live finale show will be july 19th. currently I have vacation running the 12th through the 21st, so I intend to drive out to cali for the finale, and see some of the sights along the way as well. Litmaster (I believe jokingly) brought up the idea of catching a ride out with a trucker and I thought "hey, that's kinda me!?!" and thusly this idea was born.

im located in Swansea, Illinois, roughly 20 minutes outside of st Louis. my location makes me centrally located between the coasts, more or less. how much simplier would it make the trip of coming out to the finale for people to fly halfway and then drive out to california? well my partner on this venture, litmaster seems to think so...and so..this thread.

the basic idea here is anyone who wants to come out the the finale and see a few of the sights along the way simply has to make it to st. Louis. from there we can pool our gas money, and many of the travel expenses to make the trip more cost effective for everyone involved. the only real issue with this venture is the time involved in the trip. currently I see the trip being something along the lines of july 16th/17th through the 21st. these numbers are not set in stone, in fact, nothing about this idea is set in stone, which is why im getting this ball rolling six months in advance. I put together a tentative drive map, including two stops along the way. the grand canyon; because that's one stop that I would be pissed at myself forever if I didn't go there, and roswell, new mexico....cause its so cheesy it has to be cool. that trip on mapquest comes out to be about thirty hours of driving. (!)

so you see, just with the drive out, no stopping to gawk at a hole in the ground, no eating at the roswell café...its one hell of a drive. I personally love long road trips, I make the drive from here to Biloxi ms every year in one sitting. but trips like that are not for everyone. keep that in mind if considering joining us on this...its an adventure, that's for sure! and as I said above, any stops along the way will be a group decision and currently are very up in the air, once we establish a group...we'll make those decisions!

so in a nutshell, that's the plan. the number of people on board with this will dictate what we drive out in. if we get enough people together i'll rent one of those 12 passenger vans to drive out. those are costs ill incur. for this, your only cost will be providing for yourself(food, lodging, etc) and chipping in on gas (equally). if your interested post up in this here thread! we have im guessing til about may-ish to get this organized. I know im excited by this idea, hopefully others are as well!

todd-0

I'm considering making the trip and going. I live in Indianapolis which is about an 8-9 hour drive roughly to St. Louis. The only thing would be cost for me, but I'll have more of a definite answer as time gets closer.

tonyhind86
Jan 24th, 2014, 05:24 AM
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/article7244530.ece/ALTERNATES/w300/http%3A-img.dailymail.co.uk-i-pix-2008-04_02-arielR0704_468x326.jpg

"...and here we see the We're Alive Convoy passing through downtown..."

Seems legit :)

Litmaster
Jan 24th, 2014, 03:59 PM
WA ROAD TRIP: DAY FIVE (Sunday, July 20th)

Shake off that hangover from the We're Alive Live Event with an memorable journey SOUTH, where we will take a Sunday morning tour of the real-life equivalent of THE COLONY, which is featured prominently in the WA story!

http://www.zombiepodcast.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=285&d=1298419142&stc=1

Yes, it's based on a real place! And we are going to see it all! Not only that, but the Colony tour will be guided by none other than the creator and mastermind behind the story we all know and love: K.C. WAYLAND himself!!! You heard correctly, he has offered to personally guide WA Convoyites to the various real-life locations of the Colony, after which we will...

CAP OFF an incredible journey and awesome experience with a personalized visit to the beating heart of the entire 'We're Alive' story...

A Tour of the We're Alive Studio!!!
http://www.zombiepodcast.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/werealive3_0358.jpg

That's right! The author and creator of the amazing story we all know and love has offered the WA Convoyites a personalized tour of where all the We're Alive magic happens!

Stand in the footsteps of such epic WA characters as Burt and Riley!

Breathe in the same air they breathed when recording their historic scenes!

See the microphones and foley effects that were used to captivate millions of devoted followers!

Bribe Kc into letting you record some of your best zombie growls! WHO KNOWS what he will agree to!!!

Not only that, but I have also got verbal confirmation that it is very likely that the WA Studio Tour will feature cameo appearances from both K.C. and Blaire Wayland, who will appear as actors in the WA Fan Tribute Project that we will be creating!!! And Blaire will be playing the part of Lizzy from the WA story!!!

http://www.waylandwedding.com/Wayland_Wedding/Couple_files/shapeimage_3.png

You'd be crazy not to go on this trip now! SIGN UP while space is still available!!!

Litmaster
Jan 24th, 2014, 04:58 PM
WA CONVOY FAN AUDIO DRAMA TRIBUTE PROJECT!!!!!

It is not good enough to just simply enjoy a great story.... it is not even good enough to travel to the homeland of that story and see a lot of the real-life inspiration for that story! HELL NO! You can't really BOND with a story until you're IN the story!!! So, in light of this, if you join with the WA convoy, you will have the opportunity to...

IMMERSE yourself in the WA story in a deeper and richer way than ever before possible, by participating in the WERE ALIVE CONVOY FAN AUDIO DRAMA TRIBUTE PROJECT!!!!

Here's the idea: We are going to record a short fan-made tribute audio drama during the WA Convoy trip. The plot of the story will take place during the outbreak in the same world as Kc's story, albeit with different characters. It will detail the story of a group of survivors heading west, toward LA and will more or less mirror our actual trip! Litmaster will write the script himself, and will base the characters on the actual people who jump in the van with us on the convoy trip. Each of the people on the trip will create their own character and get lines to read and we will try to get everything assembled and finished before we leave on that Sunday. Also, Litmaster will be recording and incorporating unique sounds from each of the places that we visit along our journey!

Kc has already given his blessing for this project and has agreed to let us use some of the sound effects from the original 'We're Alive' show! Imagine, you will not just be traveling to the WA finale event, you will be walking in the footsteps of a personalized fictional character immersed in the Zombpocalypse every step of the way!!! Kc also said that he would post the podcast on the WA front page when it is finished, and pimp it on Facebook!

Not only that, if we can talk any ex-cast members to help out with this on Saturday 7/19, we could even finish the plot by having our characters meet up with one of the actual characters from the original story as a short cameo!

MAKE A TREMENDOUS TRIP EVEN TREMENDOUS...ER! (?) CREATE YOUR CHARACTER AND GET IN THE VAN!
THE ZOMPOCALYPSE IS COMING!!!

Gooer
Jan 24th, 2014, 05:01 PM
WA CONVOY FAN AUDIO DRAMA TRIBUTE PROJECT!!!!!

It is not good enough to just simply enjoy a great story.... it is not even good enough to travel to the homeland of that story and see a lot of the real-life inspiration for that story! HELL NO! You can't really BOND with a story until you're IN the story!!! So, in light of this, if you join with the WA convoy, you will have the opportunity to...

IMMERSE yourself in the WA story in a deeper and richer way than ever before possible, by participating in the WERE ALIVE CONVOY FAN AUDIO DRAMA TRIBUTE PROJECT!!!!

Here's the idea: We are going to record a short fan-made tribute audio drama during the WA Convoy trip. The plot of the story will take place during the outbreak in the same world as Kc's story, albeit with different characters. It will detail the story of a group of survivors heading west, toward LA and will more or less mirror our actual trip! Litmaster will write the script himself, and will base the characters on the actual people who jump in the van with us on the convoy trip. Each of the people on the trip will create their own character and get lines to read and we will try to get everything assembled and finished before we leave on that Sunday. Also, Litmaster will be recording and incorporating unique sounds from each of the places that we visit along our journey!

Kc has already given his blessing for this project and has agreed to let us use some of the sound effects from the original 'We're Alive' show! Imagine, you will not just be traveling to the WA finale event, you will be walking in the footsteps of a personalized fictional character immersed in the Zombpocalypse every step of the way!!! Kc also said that he would post the finished podcast on the WA front page when it is finished, and pimp it on Facebook!

Not only that, if we can talk any ex-cast members to help out with this on Saturday 7/19, we could even finish the plot by having our characters meet up with one of the actual characters from the original story as a short cameo!

MAKE A TREMENDOUS TRIP EVEN TREMENDOUS...ER! (?) CREATE YOUR CHARACTER AND GET IN THE VAN!
THE ZOMPOCALYPSE IS COMING!!!

Oh man, that's awesome.....

7oddisdead
Jan 24th, 2014, 05:11 PM
Wow...just...wow.

but how do I continue to be Todd and not have it be awkward...

turbo
Jan 24th, 2014, 05:51 PM
Oh my, that is pretty epic.

Litmaster
Jan 24th, 2014, 06:42 PM
May 7, 2009
A group of enthusiastic fans for the tremendously popular XYZ zombie show, "The Stumbling Deceased" think they will be in for the experience of a lifetime when they meet up in St. Louis and engage on a cross-country journey to Los Angeles, home of the stars and location of the much hyped, "StumbleCon 2009." However, this dream trip quickly turns into a nightmare when the REAL zombie apocalypse breaks out while they're on the road! Join our heroes as they battle zombie hordes, the elements, and themselves as they engage in a road race for their lives in the real-life action drama, "We Exist!" Coming soon to a highway near you!!

Why settle for just hearing about this story when you can BE PART of the story? And what better way to pay tribute to an awesome audio drama than with our own awesome audio drama?? If you sign up with the We're Alive Convoy, you will have the opportunity to

CREATE your own fictional character
ACT OUT lines from the script while we are driving in real-life to Los Angeles!
IMMERSE yourself in the story of We're Alive by participating in a fan-fiction project set in the same world!
ENJOY the many references to the original script and characters, featuring music and sound effects from the original show!

WHO do you want to be?

A cranky, axe-wielding lumberjack from Wisconsin?
An effeminate, Derringer-toting hairdresser from Boise?
A handicapped stolen arms dealer from Brooklyn with a flamethrower-rigged wheelchair??

YOU DECIDE! AND LITMASTER WILL WRITE IT INTO THE SCRIPT!!!

Red Shirt
Jan 24th, 2014, 10:20 PM
YOU DECIDE! AND LITMASTER WILL WRITE IT INTO THE SCRIPT!!!

I'm just going to hedge my bets here... If I happen to not make it to the road trip, you can still sort of write me into the script:

NARRATOR: After running for our lives and scrambling back into the van, we peeled out and back onto the open road. We were silent as we collected our thoughts and caught our breath. A few more mile markers of US66 flicked past before anyone spoke.

CHARACTER 1: Damn. Now what?
CHARACTER 2: Keep going.
CHARACTER 1: No shit. As if I was thinking about pulling back over and letting those shamblers feast on us.
CHARACTER 3: Those weren't shamblers. Red said so.
CHARACTER 1: That's what I'm talking about. Red. Should we... I don't know, wait? Wait till they clear out, go back and give him a proper burial?
CHARACTER 2: *sigh* No, that would be suicide. We should but we can't. That was no small pack... looked like half the population of [LOCAL CITY].
CHARACTER 3: *punches dashboard* Damn it! NOW what?
CHARACTER 2: We'll be fine. He did say he was rubbish without the internet.
CHARACTER 1: Jesus man, have some respect.
CHARACTER 2: He said it, not me.
CHARACTER 1: I know, but he just...
CHARACTER 4: *interrupting* Y'know, the irony is about as subtle as a kick in the balls. Poor bastard.
*furtive glances around the van*
CHARACTER 4: Who knew he would wind up living up to the forum name Red Shirt?
CHARACTER 1: Yeah.
CHARACTER 2: If there's a heaven, he's laughing. Pissed, but laughing.
*nervous, stilted laughter*
CHARACTER 3: You guys catch what he was, um, screaming?
CHARACTER 4: I don't know. something about... a phone?

[FADE TO NEXT SCENE]

Last two lines optional. Perhaps later in the trip, the gang finds Red Shirt's phone in the van. On it, he has recorded a warning about... something.

RED SHIRT: OK. If you are listening to this, I'm dead. I just hope it wasn't something stupid, like dysentery. Here's the deal, when you get to [PLACE], watch out for [THING]. I have some... reservations about that. I didn't want to say anything about it at the time because I wasn't sure yet... I wanted to think about it some more. It will probably be fine, just be careful. The password to my laptop is "password." Under My Documents, you'll find a folder named "wiki." In it is the winter 2009 HTML wikidump. If you guy get around to rebuilding civilization, it might help.
Alright, it looks like we're loading back up and one of you is waving me back over. Say hi to Bill Murray for me.

Posted this for the bit at the end, it's relevant... and the whole thing is just effin' awesome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyO2k-jApng

tonyhind86
Jan 25th, 2014, 05:15 AM
I'll be the token English character :)

Litmaster
Jan 25th, 2014, 05:30 AM
Ha, haa! That's great, Red Shirt! I think that video really nails the tone I was thinking about with this project: not quite a comedy, but not a straight drama, either.

Quasi-silly... yeah, that sums it up nicely.

tonyhind86
Jan 25th, 2014, 10:01 AM
Ha, haa! That's great, Red Shirt! I think that video really nails the tone I was thinking about with this project: not quite a comedy, but not a straight drama, either.

Quasi-silly... yeah, that sums it up nicely.

I wonder if we could get Michael Swann to do the intro for us :yay:

7oddisdead
Jan 27th, 2014, 01:04 AM
While not "official" two of my brothers are trying to get it together and go with us. So add two more to the growing list.

Litmaster
Jan 27th, 2014, 02:48 AM
While not "official" two of my brothers are trying to get it together and go with us. So add two more to the growing list.

Add Witch Doctor-- he's in!

tonyhind86
Jan 27th, 2014, 01:06 PM
Add Witch Doctor-- he's in!

We're going to have a bigger tour entourage than Metallica :)

7oddisdead
Jan 27th, 2014, 01:27 PM
So just reviewing for the audio-drama content.

we have the ex military teacher from new England, the Virginian fascinated by the occult. The fresh faced rn grad from Ohio. The British "stranger in a strange land", the mechanic brothers, and a travelling survivalist with a penchant for dying first.

no need to create characters..this shit could write itself.

tonyhind86
Jan 27th, 2014, 01:29 PM

we have the ex military teacher from new England, the Virginian fascinated by the occult. The fresh faced rn grad from Ohio. The British "stranger in a strange land", the mechanic brothers, and a travelling survivalist with a penchant for dying first.

Which one's carrying the obligatory crossbow? :)

7oddisdead
Jan 27th, 2014, 01:34 PM
My brother Caleb. He actually would.

tonyhind86
Jan 27th, 2014, 01:38 PM
We absolutely have to pitch this idea to HBO!

tonyhind86
Jan 27th, 2014, 01:40 PM
As the Englishman of the group, I shall be wielding a sturdy cricket bat as my weapon of choice :)

7oddisdead
Jan 27th, 2014, 01:47 PM
As the Englishman of the group, I shall be wielding a sturdy cricket bat as my weapon of choice :)

nice. That truck I'm building right now? Its got a spot designed into it for hanging my flat black Louisville slugger in easy reach. So I'm the Ying to your yang

tonyhind86
Jan 27th, 2014, 01:51 PM
When I first announced to my friends and colleagues that I was coming over to the States, they kept saying things like "make sure you're well prepared"

They have NO idea :D

Gooer
Jan 27th, 2014, 02:12 PM
I'll just stroll along with my little golf club.....

Red Shirt
Jan 27th, 2014, 02:24 PM
We're going to have a bigger tour entourage than Metallica :)

Convoy, Metallica... I thought of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKKc4SrZyJ8

tonyhind86
Jan 27th, 2014, 02:47 PM
Convoy, Metallica... I thought of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKKc4SrZyJ8

Have you seen the new Metallica film, "Through the Never"? It proves that their music makes the perfect soundtrack for an apocalyptic event :)

Litmaster
Jan 27th, 2014, 02:53 PM

...and two rednecks with big ass beards!

Heeeeeeeeeell yea... maybe we just need to create amped-up, cartoonish versions of ourselves...

You know, like our Forum personas: the idealized version of ourselves that we always wanted to be, if we were not ourselves, but wished that we were. Wait, what?

Cabbage Patch
Jan 27th, 2014, 10:55 PM
I'll be driving down separately from Northern California for the Finale. I'd like to meet the convoy near Barstow/Fort Irwin, and accompany you into LA.

I've been tracking visitor information for Fort Irwin. Unfortunately there aren't any of the "Inside the Box" public tours on the calendar for July, but that is subject to change. At a minimum it should be possible to get on the base, see the armor museum and a few of the sights. I'm in the process of reaching out to old Army buddies to see if anyone has any connections we can use to get special access at Irwin. Once that's done I'll contact the base Public Affairs Office to see what can be arranged.

I'll be coming in a decent-sized SUV in case you need to spread out a bit for the final leg of the trip.

Sadly there isn't much to see in Barstow...a nice McDonalds built into old train cars but that's about it.

I'm happy to help with planning for the LA tour. Has anyone heard what the venue will be yet?

7oddisdead
Jan 27th, 2014, 11:36 PM
I'll be driving down separately from Northern California for the Finale. I'd like to meet the convoy near Barstow/Fort Irwin, and accompany you into LA.

I've been tracking visitor information for Fort Irwin. Unfortunately there aren't any of the "Inside the Box" public tours on the calendar for July, but that is subject to change. At a minimum it should be possible to get on the base, see the armor museum and a few of the sights. I'm in the process of reaching out to old Army buddies to see if anyone has any connections we can use to get special access at Irwin. Once that's done I'll contact the base Public Affairs Office to see what can be arranged.

I'll be coming in a decent-sized SUV in case you need to spread out a bit for the final leg of the trip.

Sadly there isn't much to see in Barstow...a nice McDonalds built into old train cars but that's about it.

I'm happy to help with planning for the LA tour. Has anyone heard what the venue will be yet?

firstly...sounds awesome man. glady meet up with ya in Barstow and head over to Irwin.

if you find anything out about Irwin, let myself or lit know. personally I get a bit weird about visiting places like that. I just feel like its not a place civilians like myself should be tourists at, but if the group wants to go...the group wants to go. :)

personally, if we find the phone booth near Barstow that jonny depp made the call from in fear and loathing in las vegas..my life would be complete!!

again, get in touch with me or lit on the la tour, we have a couple ideas we should spitball around between the three of us. and the venue isn't confirmed yet...but we will all know at the same time...so yea. @me or fb or text sometime when ya can. well hammer out the details.

good to have ya onboard as a local!(ish)

kek
Jan 28th, 2014, 06:37 AM
Every time I come to this thread I just want to go on this more and more! And I have two swords in a double scabbard (gotta love stalkers who give you weapons)... I will stick with those as weapons for this. Maybe a bow as well

And it was -6 degrees here when I woke up this morning with a windchill of -15 to -30... My hair was still wet and literally froze on my way out to my car to go to class. Can we just go to California now? I'll take their version of cold...

Cabbage Patch
Jan 28th, 2014, 06:56 AM
..I have two swords in a double scabbard (gotta love stalkers who give you weapons)...

Probably best to leave the armaments at home. California has surprisingly strict, highly technical weapons laws that seem designed to trip you up. And LA County just enacted ridiculous knife control laws (no folding blades longer than 3", restrictions on carrying any edged weapon in any public place, etc.). If the SHTF while you're here I'd be happy to help you arm up.

..Can we just go to California now? I'll take their version of cold...

I don't know, it barely hit 60 yesterday, and it's been getting near freezing at night!

Gnex
Jan 28th, 2014, 06:59 AM
California "Cold" is like shorts weather for everyone else! :)

tonyhind86
Jan 28th, 2014, 07:49 AM
My only weapon will be my English charm :)

Litmaster
Jan 28th, 2014, 09:37 AM

Heh... I'm gonna make your character creepy like Pippen.

Elisa
Jan 28th, 2014, 12:15 PM
July is gonna be nice and hot :D

tonyhind86
Jan 28th, 2014, 01:05 PM
Heh... I'm gonna make your character creepy like Pippen.

Something tells me I'll fit into the role nicely :)

tonyhind86
Jan 28th, 2014, 01:46 PM
I've just been thinking - we should get a bedsheet, write the words "We're Alive" on it, and tie it to the side of the convoy truck.
I'm going to visit an army surplus store and ser if I can get a set of old camo fatigues, and stitch my forum username onto it as a nametag

REZombie
Jan 28th, 2014, 08:04 PM
This sounds like an amazing trip... Yall better take alot of pics for the forum!!!!!!

If i had not of made a few out of state hunting plans i think i'd have tried to make it...but spending waaayyy too much money as is..

Red Shirt
Jan 28th, 2014, 09:21 PM
Probably best to leave the armaments at home. California has surprisingly strict, highly technical weapons laws that seem designed to trip you up. And LA County just enacted ridiculous knife control laws (no folding blades longer than 3", restrictions on carrying any edged weapon in any public place, etc.). If the SHTF while you're here I'd be happy to help you arm up.

For curiosities sake and the potential for me to join up on this endeavor:
Gerbers, Lerthermans and Victorinox Swiss tools... where do they fall in this legislation? Most of them have two folding pocket knife sized blades that also lock for safety and are roughly threeish inches long. Is there even a "standard" for measuring the blade? Mine is at the threshold where it could go either way. The entire blade itself is just over three, but the part that extends beyond the tool body is under three.

They are of course meant to be tools and not weapons, but it's not my/our place to "challenge" local ordinances as visitors.

If you've ever listened to or watched Rooster Teeth, Gavin has said that having an English accent in America is like having a super power.
If you are "that kind of guy", you might have your hands full here in the states. :cool:

Litmaster
Jan 28th, 2014, 11:55 PM
Hi Convoyites,

I just woke up (at 2:39 a.m. on a workday) with yet another great idea for the WA Convoy trip. Well, this one is more of a detailed clarification on some previous ideas. Suffice to say that I've figured out a way to use the artistic talents of everyone going on the WA Convoy, AND how to incorporate ALL of the various multimedia devices we will be taking with us, into the creation of one, united, fan fiction project that will

- be fun as hell to make
- exercise some of your own unique, creative talents
- document our trip for future memories
- share that documentation with other Forumites who can vicariously participate
- pay tribute to the audio drama we all know and love

So how are we going to accomplish all that in just a few days together? I think there is a way we can do it that will be fun as hell, and I think you all will really dig it. But it's going to take awhile to explain the details of the full idea, so let me start tonight by giving some background on why I hate conventional trips and tours in the next post (trying to avoid too much of a word wall).

(WTF Lit? Relax, it's relevant, but I first need to contrast the boring stuff I don't like in order to introduce the awesome antithesis that I am proposing. Just bear with me for two more posts...)

Cabbage Patch
Jan 29th, 2014, 12:06 AM
For curiosities sake and the potential for me to join up on this endeavor:
Gerbers, Lerthermans and Victorinox Swiss tools... where do they fall in this legislation? Most of them have two folding pocket knife sized blades that also lock for safety and are roughly threeish inches long. Is there even a "standard" for measuring the blade? Mine is at the threshold where it could go either way. The entire blade itself is just over three, but the part that extends beyond the tool body is under three.

They are of course meant to be tools and not weapons, but it's not my/our place to "challenge" local ordinances as visitors.

In California the blade length for a folding knife is the length of the sharpened edge, typically measured from the tip to the point where the sharpened edge ends near the hinge:
http://www.akti.org/images/9.jpg

As for items intended as tools, there is no exception for them in the law. This will probably all get straightened out once the law is tested in court, but who wants to be the poor schmuck who pays the legal costs for that?

REZombie
Jan 29th, 2014, 12:14 AM
In California the blade length for a folding knife is the length of the sharpened edge, typically measured from the tip to the point where the sharpened edge ends near the hinge:
http://www.akti.org/images/9.jpg

As for items intended as tools, there is no exception for them in the law. This will probably all get straightened out once the law is tested in court, but who wants to be the poor schmuck who pays the legal costs for that?

Dang..that alone would keep me out of the state...i rarely leave home without my M&P let alone my knife...My SOG(trident goes with me everywhere....it would be like leaving my wallet..

7oddisdead
Jan 29th, 2014, 12:14 AM
just to weigh in on this, I know ill have a decent sized tool kit along for the trip just in case. id say if your like me red, you like to travel with something. cant say as I blame ya there. and I know your main reason for asking was curiosity more than desire...but if need be toss the leatherman in the tool kit. I swear if the po-po hassles us over a multi tool it will be my last trip to cali....

as for the rest of us. leave your props at home folks.. :D with me and my brother on the trip, we'll be cop magnets as is (it just always happens, not my fault I swear!!!)

Litmaster
Jan 29th, 2014, 12:39 AM
WHY LIT HATES PACKAGED TRIPS/TOURS

I don't really hate them, I just think, for the most part, they are incredibly boring and never really seem to get at the heart, the essence, of what the trip/tour is supposed to be presenting you with. Let me try to explain what I mean...

EXAMPLE #1: PACKAGED VACATIONS: Imagine a group of people all go on a trip to Rome. "Oh, Marcy, you'll never believe how fabulous our trip was! So much history there! (I'm imagining a New Jersey accent, for some reason) So many monuments! Oh, and look at this one: our tour guide brought up right up to the Roman Coliseum, can you believe that! Oh, will you just look at those arches!"
http://chstravelclub.edublogs.org/files/2009/10/P10105854-1024x768.jpg

So people usually take a standard group photo like the one above, and that constitutes one piece of their documentation of this fabulous, unforgettable trip. Yeah....

EXAMPLE #2: PACKAGED TOURS Many people like 'packaged' tours to fabulous locations. You know what I'm saying... they pay a few grand to hop on an 'all expenses paid' cruise ship to Brazil, where there is then arranged a carefully planned and guided tour bus chauffeuring them to witness ALL THE VAST, UNTAMED, WILD BEAUTY OF THE AMAZON RAINFOREST!!!
http://www.princetontourcompany.com/userfiles/image/large%20group%20tour%20017.JPG

Wow! Just look at those smiles! So they sit there on their ass and snap pictures of the monkeys and shit from the comfort and safety of their tour bus, while the guide tells them local trivia of indigenous parrots or whatever, while everyone 'oohs and 'aahs'. If their lucky, they might even get to walk a short way INTO the vast, untamed rainforest, guided to a pre-planned spot which just happens to be the very same spot that every other group is ushered too, thus leaving telltale signs of their presence (footprints, dropped candy wrappers) on the floor of this 'vast, untamed rainforest' they have all paid money to witness in person... :rolleyes:

Are you guys feeling what I'm getting at, here?
Now compare those 'canned' experiences with:

EXAMPLE #3: THE LEWIS AND CLARK EXPEDITION Okay, let's set aside all the politics of the situation and focus on the essence of the trip itself: essentially, it was a journey into the unknown. A group of people heading westward across a vast, unmapped, 'undiscovered' land (okay, by the white dudes I mean), in order to discover what was there.
http://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large/sacagawea-with-lewis-and-clark-during-their-expedition-of-1804-06-newell-convers-wyeth.jpg

And they probably never looked like this picture, but whatever. The point I'm making here is that the trip, for them anyway, was a true adventure. Untamed. Unguided. Trackless wilderness. Risk. Danger. No guarantee of success or even safety. A trip containing all the essence and drama of a great adventure... and the telling of a great story.

Think about how very different of an experience that is from the safe, canned, carefully prescribed trips like in the first two examples. Example #3 really was a true adventure, while the first two examples are merely canned adventures--people on the outside looking in, from behind the glass, on places and events that happened long ago, to someone else... but not to them.

I contest that people who pay money to go on canned trips and tours to witness historical events and exciting locations never REALLY see what they are paying to see, and never REALLY experience what they are paying to experience. It all becomes a fabrication.... fake.... a false caricature of itself. (this is also partly why I hate amusement parks, but that's a different story)

I think, by participating in this fan fiction project, we will be able to turn this trip into an true adventure, albeit a fictional one. While it is enjoyable for some to simply snap pictures and take videos of shit we see and do along the way, I think we can do better than that. I think we can make it more interesting for people on the forum to follow along. I think we can make it more creative, and thus more fun.

Like Lewis and Clark, we will be traveling west, following in the footsteps of a great story. At the same time, we will be creating a great story of our own. I think I've figured out how to merge these two elements in a way that is NOT canned or false, and that can put us all INTO the essence of the story, instead of us looking at it from the outside... from behind the glass.

My next post will give details on exactly how we can do that. Stay tuned.

7oddisdead
Jan 29th, 2014, 01:00 AM
dude, your mildly insane. I personally love it.

I know im on board, and I believe I know what your thinking...should add to the already epic-ness of the trip.

btw...pic number two makes me laugh my ass off, but I am slightly boozed up at the moment

OH, also some transport info may be incoming in the next day or so

Witch_Doctor
Jan 29th, 2014, 03:24 AM
Oh, and I forgot to mention above... I will graduate in May so this is PERFECT! I will have my big girl nursing job for long enough to spend all the money I make :D

May the 8th? :zombieglomp:

Witch_Doctor
Jan 29th, 2014, 03:40 AM
Wow...just...wow.

but how do I continue to be Todd and not have it be awkward...

Hey, there's a living and a dead Puck. It can work.

Witch_Doctor
Jan 29th, 2014, 03:43 AM
I'll be the token English character :)

I'll be the token Black guy. Wait, that never turns out well, does it?

7oddisdead
Jan 29th, 2014, 03:58 AM
Oh snap!

I <3 you doc!

your dehaventon right? I need to @ ya

Witch_Doctor
Jan 29th, 2014, 07:44 AM
Oh snap!

I <3 you doc!

your dehaventon right? I need to @ ya

Yeppers.

Jannit
Jan 29th, 2014, 09:19 AM
This sounds like an awesome trip! I hope you all have a fantastic time. I'll be living vicariously through all of the videos and such.

Okay, fine. I'll be sulking and jealous in the corner. :p

tonyhind86
Jan 29th, 2014, 02:22 PM
I'll have to do some research into on-the-road internet connectivity. I won't be able to use the networks on my phone and such the way they are now because they're all connected to the UK networks. If I can get a SIM card from the States that will work in my phone, that'll do nicely. Either that, or I'm pretty confident that we'll find some Wi-Fi hotspots en route.

Either way, our presence will be known on the interwebs and beyond.

And my youtube account is gonna be full of kick ass videos by the end of the trip

Elisa
Jan 29th, 2014, 03:27 PM
Let me know if there is a LA based meetup for us locals (aside from the Finale) :)

turbo
Jan 29th, 2014, 03:29 PM
I'll have to do some research into on-the-road internet connectivity. I won't be able to use the networks on my phone and such the way they are now because they're all connected to the UK networks. If I can get a SIM card from the States that will work in my phone, that'll do nicely. Either that, or I'm pretty confident that we'll find some Wi-Fi hotspots en route.

Either way, our presence will be known on the interwebs and beyond.

And my youtube account is gonna be full of kick ass videos by the end of the trip

I posted in here (http://www.zombiepodcast.com/forum/showthread.php?5159-W-A-Convoy-Support-Team) ideas for some connecting to the webs

7oddisdead
Jan 29th, 2014, 03:34 PM
Let me know if there is a LA based meetup for us locals (aside from the Finale) :)

I'm thinking this would be a good thing to add to our search for "group hotel" stays while in la. Find a place with a conference room/and or bar and have a get together there Friday night. Most of us travelers will be a bit road weary, so doing that at the hotel would be a good call. And most of the ones I've briefly looked at have amenities like that. Say, Friday 8pm(ish)??

Litmaster
Jan 29th, 2014, 04:52 PM
Ok, so I really want to initiate you with the full concept of the trip that we will be embarking on, so, if you haven't already, please review the basic itinerary that I outlined back on PAGE 11 OF THIS THREAD (http://www.zombiepodcast.com/forum/showthread.php?5148-the-W-A-finale-convoy!/page11) and PAGE 16 OF THIS THREAD (http://www.zombiepodcast.com/forum/showthread.php?5148-the-W-A-finale-convoy!/page16).

Up to speed on the general outline? Good. Well, that's not all. In order to really 'feel' of the philosophy behind what I am getting at here, please review...
THIS LITMASTER POST (http://www.zombiepodcast.com/forum/showthread.php?5148-the-W-A-finale-convoy!&p=71825&viewfull=1#post71825), and
THIS LITMASTER POST (http://www.zombiepodcast.com/forum/showthread.php?5148-the-W-A-finale-convoy!&p=71829&viewfull=1#post71829).

Okay... we good? Read all that shit? No you didn't... lying ass! Go back and read it... seriously! Go ahead... I'll wait here...

...done? Up to speed? Okay, then! So, in order to make the We're Alive Convoy trip all the more awesome, we are going to turn the entire trip into a FAN-CREATED FICTIONAL ENTITY, SET IN THE WE'RE ALIVE WORLD, ALTHOUGH TAKING PLACE JUST PRIOR TO THE START OF THE EVENTS OF THE MAIN WE'RE ALIVE STORY. As such, what we will be creating on the road will function as a sort of prequel to Kc's story of We're Alive!

So there we will be... on the road... traveling west towards Los Angeles. Physically speaking, we will be passing though the states of Illinois, Missouri, Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, and California. Along the way we will be seeing various sights and whatnot. However, at the same time, we are going to be telling the story of a small group of survivors, who, in early May of 2009, were on the way to LA when the real Zombpocalypse happened, quickly turning their fun-filled journey into a living nightmare!

The story will be told largely through multimedia. What this means is there will be a dedicated blog or something, associated with the WA Forum, where anyone will be able to check in with the trip westward of our intrepid voyagers, witnessing firsthand the transformation from pleasure trip to living nightmare. By accessing the WA storytelling blog (yet to be created), any Forum participant will be able to witness the story being told in real time, and access the story through such means as audio, video, written text, drawings, and photographs. All types of multimedia will be utilized in the telling of this exciting fan-man prequel to We're Alive.

Our story will culminate on Saturday, May 9th, 2009, with the story from this ill-fated trip merging seamlessly into the official WA story. All character parts will be played by the participants on the Convoy trip. The primary script will be written by Litmaster, but details will be fleshed out by all who attend the Convoy trip. If we can swing it, it may also feature cameos of people in the official WA cast & crew!

AdrianHD
Jan 30th, 2014, 05:31 PM
First off, Litmaster, of course I know you. I'm appalled you think I didn't know you!

So I got a request to give the Breaking Bad tour. Here's the thing. I requested a week off the next week because the day after you guys arrive I have a few friends crashing here for our road trip to L.A. So I may be booked that day. I can probably pull a string though... What I can offer you guys is a place to stay. I'm on an iPad so I don't know the count, but how many people are going? I have a two bedroom apartment that only I live in. So barring any cat allergies, you guys are welcome to crash here for the night. Also drop by my parent's restaurant where I work and I might get some leeway on taking you guys around. I've given the tour before twice, one time to Creem_Filling last summer so I know the place well haha.

Litmaster
Jan 30th, 2014, 05:58 PM
First off, Litmaster, of course I know you. I'm appalled you think I didn't know you!

So I got a request to give the Breaking Bad tour. Here's the thing. I requested a week off the next week because the day after you guys arrive I have a few friends crashing here for our road trip to L.A. So I may be booked that day. I can probably pull a string though... What I can offer you guys is a place to stay. I'm on an iPad so I don't know the count, but how many people are going? I have a two bedroom apartment that only I live in. So barring any cat allergies, you guys are welcome to crash here for the night. Also drop by my parent's restaurant where I work and I might get some leeway on taking you guys around. I've given the tour before twice, one time to Creem_Filling last summer so I know the place well haha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKUOB8MN4Kc

I'll keep you posted. :)

7oddisdead
Jan 30th, 2014, 06:00 PM
Your use of Mr. Burns as your mascot keeps me out a bit.

j/k

Litmaster
Jan 30th, 2014, 06:03 PM
I just made some amendments to the Convoy itinerary, so go back and look at PAGE 11 (http://www.zombiepodcast.com/forum/showthread.php?5148-the-W-A-finale-convoy!/page11) and PAGE 16 (http://www.zombiepodcast.com/forum/showthread.php?5148-the-W-A-finale-convoy!/page16) of this thread for updated details of the trip!

AdrianHD
Jan 30th, 2014, 06:10 PM
Yep! We have a 5 (including me) person group headed to L.A Friday night. My apartment is gonna be destroyed. :p we can order the same kind of pizza Walt threw on the roof on that one episode. I live 3 minutes away from the place.

7oddisdead
Jan 30th, 2014, 06:23 PM
Yep! We have a 5 (including me) person group headed to L.A Friday night. My apartment is gonna be destroyed. :p we can order the same kind of pizza Walt threw on the roof on that one episode. I live 3 minutes away from the place.

right now we are at a safely confirmed 5-6 people. We(convoy) could be at 10-12 before said and done. That's a lotta pizza!

Litmaster
Jan 30th, 2014, 06:28 PM

Oh, fuck yea! Gotta get some of that Walt Roof Pizza!!

AdrianHD
Jan 30th, 2014, 06:30 PM
right now we are at a safely confirmed 5-6 people. We(convoy) could be at 10-12 before said and done. That's a lotta pizza!
That's fine. The pizzas are big! But yeah. Let me know. I can squeeze you guys in as long as no one destroys the place and you guys are quiet enough to not get my landlady on me haha. If my friends fall through I will join you, but chances are we are good.

I know you guys gotta keep moving, but I figure maybe saving a couple hundred and having a place to stay may entice y'all.

7oddisdead
Jan 30th, 2014, 06:33 PM
It'll need to be a group decision. But your hospitality is greatly appreciated, brother.

AdrianHD
Jan 30th, 2014, 06:36 PM
It'll need to be a group decision. But your hospitality is greatly appreciated, brother.

Yep. And if not, I'll try hard and get time off for the tour. It'll be a few hours. Los Pollos Hermanos, Walt's House, the car wash, Saul's place, Jesse's duplex, and that hotdog place. They are on opposite sides of the city.

AdrianHD
Jan 30th, 2014, 06:37 PM
Double post fun fact: I went to the high school in Breaking Bad.

turbo
Jan 30th, 2014, 07:15 PM
Cool if we meet up with y'all for the tour of the WA studio? I know we're not gonna make the convoy but we'll be kicking back already in LA ;) And if you have an extra part for the story when you arrive in LA, I'll help ya out!

Litmaster
Jan 30th, 2014, 07:26 PM
Cool if we meet up with y'all for the tour of the WA studio? I know we're not gonna make the convoy but we'll be kicking back already in LA ;) And if you have an extra part for the story when you arrive in LA, I'll help ya out!

Absolutely. You might be a zombie, though. A compter-savvy, code-breaking zombie.

turbo
Jan 30th, 2014, 07:56 PM
Absolutely. You might be a zombie, though. A compter-savvy, code-breaking zombie.

Heh...sweet

Raven
Jan 31st, 2014, 11:56 AM
So I have been away from the boards forever and I come back to this?! Do we have a start and end date yet? Do you guys still have room available? I want to do this sooo bad.

7oddisdead
Jan 31st, 2014, 12:00 PM
All the info is kind of spread out at the moment. But for a concise overview go here:

http://www.zombiepodcast.com/forum/entry.php?358-state-of-the-convoy-the-devil-is-in-the-details

so your looking at July 15th-21st.

hell yes we have room.

Gooer
Jan 31st, 2014, 12:01 PM
So I have been away from the boards forever and I come back to this?! Do we have a start and end date yet? Do you guys still have room available? I want to do this sooo bad.

Welcome back! Can't remember from the top of my head, but if you dig around its in here somewhere....

tonyhind86
Feb 1st, 2014, 09:51 AM
I've booked 2 weeks off work starting on Monday 14th July. I'll probably be flying out on Saturday 12th or Sunday 13th - depending on whether I'm working Sat or not. I went to the bank today and started putting money away ready for the trip. My passport application is being processed, and I even bought myself a Kindle for the plane journey.

Witch_Doctor
Feb 1st, 2014, 12:28 PM
I've booked 2 weeks off work starting on Monday 14th July. I'll probably be flying out on Saturday 12th or Sunday 13th - depending on whether I'm working Sat or not. I went to the bank today and started putting money away ready for the trip. My passport application is being processed, and I even bought myself a Kindle for the plane journey.

Make sure you convert your dates to the English System. We don't use the metric calendar in the U.S., so our July 14th might be different from yours.

Looking forward to meet you.

-Witch Doctor

tonyhind86
Feb 1st, 2014, 12:48 PM
Make sure you convert your dates to the English System. We don't use the metric calendar in the U.S., so our July 14th might be different from yours.

Looking forward to meet you.

-Witch Doctor

I've factored in a -8 hour time difference to my plans; I'm hoping my math skills have worked out OK, but I've got a few months to finalise the finer points just in case. Knowing me, I'll probably turn up ridiculously early.

But I am really looking forward to meeting everyone and having a good time. I look forward to the day I shake your hand and say "nice to finally meet you" :)

Litmaster
Feb 1st, 2014, 12:53 PM
I've factored in a -8 hour time difference to my plans; I'm hoping my math skills have worked out OK, but I've got a few months to finalise the finer points just in case. Knowing me, I'll probably turn up ridiculously early.

That's fine, I'm sure Todd won't mind if you crash at his place for a few days, drink all his beer, and eat up all the food in his refrigerator.

turbo
Feb 1st, 2014, 01:24 PM
That's fine, I'm sure Todd won't mind if you crash at his place for a few days, drink all his beer, and eat up all the food in his refrigerator.

With that being said, I'll be there in 6 hours, I should be hungry and thirsty by then! :D

tonyhind86
Feb 1st, 2014, 02:01 PM
I hope he has a BIG fridge :D

Gooer
Feb 1st, 2014, 02:06 PM
With a 14 hour flight, his fridge might get empty soon...

tonyhind86
Feb 1st, 2014, 02:42 PM
I hope the airline has a well-stocked drinks trolley - everyone should know that the Geordies love a cheeky drink or 20 :)

7oddisdead
Feb 1st, 2014, 03:28 PM
So I woke from a dead-sleep with my ears literally, on fire....

its whatever Tony, I'm on vacation starting the previous Saturday. If flights work out best for coming in that weekend. So be it.

tonyhind86
Feb 1st, 2014, 03:38 PM
So I woke from a dead-sleep with my ears literally, on fire....

its whatever Tony, I'm on vacation starting the previous Saturday. If flights work out best for coming in that weekend. So be it.

As my plans work out in my head so far (I'll have to double check), I'll probably arrive the day before the convoy is due to depart. That will give the opportunity to meet you face-to-face, have a day of introductions, drinking and trading stories,chatting and finalising the plans etc.

7oddisdead
Feb 1st, 2014, 03:47 PM
all good my friend. as me, you, and lit are the primary core of the group a day early would be a good thing anyways. we could venture out to my shop, ill show you how real hoosiers party! lol

tonyhind86
Feb 1st, 2014, 03:56 PM
all good my friend. as me, you, and lit are the primary core of the group a day early would be a good thing anyways. we could venture out to my shop, ill show you how real hoosiers party! lol

That's one place I definetly want to see before we set out. And I will gladly raise a toast to both of you - to you for suggesting the convoy idea, and to Litmaster for his epic planning. Then once we're joined by everyone else, there'll be toasts all round for the common interest that brought us all together.*

*I'm raising a glass to the We're Alive podcast, its creator, cast, crew and all the fans :D

Raven
Feb 2nd, 2014, 01:38 PM
Tony et all traveling to Todd's do you have a timetable yet? I know the event is on Sat in LA but want to know everyone else's flight dates/plans before I start hardcore planning.

Witch_Doctor
Feb 3rd, 2014, 08:08 AM
So, I've never been camping (save for the 30 minutes my Mother let me 'camp' on my back porch as a kid until I ran into the house terrified because I saw 'glowing eyes' of one of the stray dogs in my neighborhood.) What kind of equipment should I bring?

7oddisdead
Feb 3rd, 2014, 08:36 AM
@doc

just a sleeping bag/pillow item. Travelling(flying) with any additional items would be troublesome. I've got all the other stuff handled

@raven

what additional info are you looking for? Fly to STL on the afternoon of July 15th. plan a flight out of STL the even of the 21st or morning 22nd.

tonyhind86
Feb 3rd, 2014, 01:09 PM
As far as camping stuff is concerned, I'm bringing a sleeping bag, warm socks and a flashlight. The less stuff I carry onto the plane, the simpler my journey will be

7oddisdead
Feb 3rd, 2014, 11:26 PM
As far as camping stuff is concerned, I'm bringing a sleeping bag, warm socks and a flashlight. The less stuff I carry onto the plane, the simpler my journey will be

don't worry about the flashlight then, pretty sure I have that on lock.

actually that brings up a good point. it might be a good idea to fire out ideas on what all I should have for the camping amenities. im pretty sure I have all the bases covered, but two-ten brains are better than one! everyone fire out ideas, ill start taking notes.

tonyhind86
Feb 4th, 2014, 07:40 AM
don't worry about the flashlight then, pretty sure I have that on lock.

actually that brings up a good point. it might be a good idea to fire out ideas on what all I should have for the camping amenities. im pretty sure I have all the bases covered, but two-ten brains are better than one! everyone fire out ideas, ill start taking notes.

Possibly may need insect repellant, depending on which areas we're in, but I suppose we could pick that up locally

tonyhind86
Feb 4th, 2014, 11:08 AM
I've been chatting to a few people about the trip today, and one of them mentioned that I'll need some sort of special visa in order to cross state lines - I think they said it was a "green paper" or something. Is this something you guys have heard of? And if so, do I need seperate papers for each state line we cross?

7oddisdead
Feb 4th, 2014, 11:24 AM
News to me...

lets try to get ahold of cupcakezombie. She made a trip similar to this one last year. And if you do need anything special, that should apply to Brits same as new Zealanders.

Gooer
Feb 4th, 2014, 12:10 PM
Looked it up, if you are tourist, and are staying in the country for less than 90 days, with a valid machine readable passport, AND an ESTA (electrical system for travel authorization; has to be registered online) you are able to travel visa-free.

Looking into it more, not sure if you only need your passport and your return/ongoing travel ticket, or if you also need the ESTA too...

Litmaster
Feb 4th, 2014, 12:16 PM
I've been chatting to a few people about the trip today, and one of them mentioned that I'll need some sort of special visa in order to cross state lines - I think they said it was a "green paper" or something. Is this something you guys have heard of? And if so, do I need seperate papers for each state line we cross?

Looked it up, if you are tourist, and are staying in the country for less than 90 days, with a valid machine readable passport, AND an ESTA (electrical system for travel authorization; has to be registered online) you are able to travel visa-free.

Yeah, this is what I expect. It's not as if Tony is a resident of Iraq, Somalia, or North Korea. Last I checked, we're been on good terms with the Brits for the past several hundred years...

And Tony; don't worry about state lines. One state just flows right into another; the only lines are on a map. There are no checkpoints or anything, other than at toll booths. But the only time someone is going to be 'checking your papers' is at the airport when you first arrive. And you should be in the fast line as you're coming from a USA-friendly country. Uh, just leave your robe and turban at home. :cool:

Gooer
Feb 4th, 2014, 12:30 PM
Uh, just leave your robe and turban at home. :cool:

Oh....I better go buy some new clothes then...

tonyhind86
Feb 4th, 2014, 12:36 PM

Looking into it more, not sure if you only need your passport and your return/ongoing travel ticket, or if you also need the ESTA too...

Cheers mate - that makes my plans so much more simpler. I'll register for the ESTA ASAP. BTW I'm exhausting my use of abbreviations haha :D

Yeah, this is what I expect. It's not as if Tony is a resident of Iraq, Somalia, or North Korea. Last I checked, we're been on good terms with the Brits for the past several hundred years...

And Tony; don't worry about state lines. One state just flows right into another; the only lines are on a map. There are no checkpoints or anything, other than at toll booths. But the only time someone is going to be 'checking your papers' is at the airport when you first arrive. And you should be in the fast line as you're coming from a USA-friendly country. Uh, just leave your robe and turban at home. :cool:

Time to start picking out a new wardrobe. Can I still get away with wearing my sandals though? :)

7oddisdead
Feb 4th, 2014, 12:40 PM
Psssh....travel hobbit style! That's my intent!

I'm only partially joking

tonyhind86
Feb 4th, 2014, 12:56 PM
Psssh....travel hobbit style! That's my intent!

I'm only partially joking

I've got big hairy feet - I'll be in my element :)

7oddisdead
Feb 4th, 2014, 01:04 PM
I'm already called Frodo by the brothers. You Sam?

tonyhind86
Feb 4th, 2014, 01:09 PM
I can be Sam - a bit more Sam, a little less Wise - and once I get a bit drunk, I'll be "Merry" too.

See what I did there? :yay: