PDA

View Full Version : How We're Alive zombies are different to other stories

Gooer
Dec 15th, 2013, 03:52 PM
It occurred to me, as i was looking at whether a zombie outbreak would actually work, and a found a website (http://www.cracked.com/article_18683_7-scientific-reasons-zombie-outbreak-would-fail-quickly.html), giving 7 reasons why it wouldn't work. 2 of the reasons it gave was that, due to the body being dead, either it will shrivel up and decompose, or freeze and burst. Tell me if i'm wrong, but i don't think its ever been said that our zombies are actually dead, just that they have physically changed. In my opinion, its another way in which Kc manages to keep this podcast as real as possible, with a great job at it too.

TacticalJHP
Dec 15th, 2013, 05:01 PM
That is actually why i like this podcast. Not a fan of any zombie movies, or TV shows.

I never liked the rotting, moaning, half eaten, zombies wandering in hordes.

but this podcast is different. I like the idea that they are alive, but just different from us.

As it has been said, it is a story of survival.

Vlarken
Dec 15th, 2013, 07:51 PM
Well, I think most zombie fiction is assuming that we'll suspend our disbelief about a decomposing body walking around and eating people, like with The Walking Dead (they actually do some really interesting stuff with that though, that I haven't seen on any other zombie show or movie). However, I think the main gripe, when we've gotten past the suspension of disbelief, is the fact that slow zombies would not be able to take over the world. The military would absolutely tear them apart, no question. But, what's great about We're Alive is that with the quickness of the spread, and the tactical advantages of the biters, it's actually plausible that they could take out most of the human race. And if you need further proof, look at what happens to Fort Irwin at the end of season 3. That's something almost never shown in zombie fiction: the actual military fighting zombies.

TacticalJHP
Dec 15th, 2013, 08:18 PM
Well, I think most zombie fiction is assuming that we'll suspend our disbelief about a decomposing body walking around and eating people, like with The Walking Dead (they actually do some really interesting stuff with that though, that I haven't seen on any other zombie show or movie). However, I think the main gripe, when we've gotten past the suspension of disbelief, is the fact that slow zombies would not be able to take over the world. The military would absolutely tear them apart, no question. But, what's great about We're Alive is that with the quickness of the spread, and the tactical advantages of the biters, it's actually plausible that they could take out most of the human race. And if you need further proof, look at what happens to Fort Irwin at the end of season 3. That's something almost never shown in zombie fiction: the actual military fighting zombies.

Oh, hell yea. Normal hoards of biters would stand no chance at all against even one M2 Bradley or M1 Abrams. If they an out of ammunition, they would make great steamrollers, and out of fuel they become bunkers. It took the hoards of "little ones" which had an advantage because of their advanced intelligence and strength to figure out how to stop the Bradleys.

I really hated to see Ft Irwin go, but i also hated the Colonel.

Merlin1274
Dec 16th, 2013, 10:38 AM
I like WD. But I do not like the Idea of reanimated Dead. If the Z-Day happens it will be to me on the Idea of 28 Days later.. Its why this podcast appeals to me so much. It plausible in my fantasy world.

REZombie
Dec 16th, 2013, 09:03 PM
Agree with whats been said. I love how the zombies are in this story.... I know we are dealing with fiction, but it feels more "possible" then just about all other zombie stories. I love the "realness" of WA. Its great.

Sin Angel
Jan 18th, 2014, 05:00 PM
Sounds like a great idea. It makes sense and I also noticed these things.

Jannit
Jan 28th, 2014, 12:36 PM
This just came up again in another thread so I'm going to repeat myself: I don't think the WA zombies are dead. My assumption is that they're the ones that are alive and that it's really some sort of plague / virus / etc. that has caused the outbreak. I agree that the WA universe seems much more realistic than other zombie scenarios I've seen.

REZombie
Jan 28th, 2014, 07:17 PM
If not dead, why doesn't generally take head shots? how do they not bleed to death or react to wounds(Riley's arrow to the leg, Ink shot in the chest)? Just curious..

Eviebae
Jan 28th, 2014, 11:06 PM
If not dead, why doesn't generally take head shots? how do they not bleed to death or react to wounds(Riley's arrow to the leg, Ink shot in the chest)? Just curious..

Didn't CJ said they could bleed out?
It seems like when they are attacked in a certain way their bodies quickly toughen their bodies to make that attack less effective. I had the impression that at first gun shots work, then you need more and more firepower.

Of course, that comes with it's own problems. How their bodies know what an attack is vs. life is a mystery. Like, cellular death, lung action or intestinal flora.

Are they clean? Characters have talked about how they smell like poo, but they are apparently still wearing clothes for the most part (they describe the clothing on the one that jumped onto the helicopter) and people are able to see the tattoos clearly.

Jannit
Jan 29th, 2014, 09:28 AM

It could be something to do with the infection (for lack of a better word). If there are neurotransmitters that remove the infected's ability to feel pain then non-critical shots, perhaps they can keep going? I'm just guessing here. I'll look into this a bit more and post what I find.

As Eviebae pointed out some of them have enhanced abilities (nearly impenetrable skin on the Behemoths, for example) that would make it less likely that a shot to the leg or chest would be able to drop them, too.

Gooer
Jan 29th, 2014, 09:32 AM
They do bleed out. CJ cut their legs out underneath them at the colony, where they bled out. They believe Ink didn't get hurt because he had a vest on underneath, meaning the shots didn't affect him. With the arrow in the leg/other wounds, i don't think they feel pain, as with other zombies.

REZombie
Jan 29th, 2014, 04:43 PM
They do bleed out. CJ cut their legs out underneath them at the colony, where they bled out. They believe Ink didn't get hurt because he had a vest on underneath, meaning the shots didn't affect him. With the arrow in the leg/other wounds, i don't think they feel pain, as with other zombies.

Indeed! i forgot the leg slicing! Disregard my other post, lol.

Eviebae
Jan 29th, 2014, 11:52 PM
The one with the arrow seemed sick to me by the description. Sort of shuffling and dazed. Haven't they reacted to being shot etc?

Are their eyes glazed over or what? I know the eyes change, and zombies usually have that cloudy white "dead" look to their eyes but I'm wondering if I'm filling in the blanks correctly.

Do they smell because they don't take proper care of bodily functions or is it the change (or Ink's chemicals)? Another assumption I had was the smell was lack of cleanliness. They didn't describe that female zombie's clothing as dirty or torn though. I have a pretty good imagination but there just isn't enough description for my brain to generate an image besides a general outline.

rant: It really bugs me when zombies suddenly develop magical teeth that can instantly rip huge chunks out of people and pierce multiple layers of clothing. People teeth start out fairly sharp, but as you age they get blunter. Yes, crazy angry people can leave arcs of tooth marks in skin, but they'd have to clamp on and worry the limb/neck to remove a chunk of muscle and then it would be as much crushing as slicing.

Stuff like ears, noses, would be easier, but they always show them taking chunks out of pristine flesh.

Gooer
Jan 30th, 2014, 12:25 AM
I think it was the smell of decay, but i could be wrong. People who had recently turned wouldn't of smelt like it yet. As with the biting, I would say that due to the increased strength they are given, they are more easily able to bite on someone than a normal human could.

Grognaurd
Jan 30th, 2014, 03:03 AM
Well, they tend to go through the throat which is exposed in most standard western clothing. They are also described as tearing. I think they get a solid grip and then tear away the flesh, but you are right, it is a lot harder to tear and eat raw flesh in real life than it is in the movies. That is why we invented knives and cooking fires (8

The smell, could be hygiene. What if part of the changes was the introduction of new bacteria flora that makes formic acids? This goes back to ant theory. Last, part of the changes coud be enhanced smell. It might not be coincidence that Tanya has the heightest K18 levels is the one that complains the most about Burt's B.O.

Jannit
Jan 30th, 2014, 04:47 AM
Well, they tend to go through the throat which is exposed in most standard western clothing. They are also described as tearing. I think they get a solid grip and then tear away the flesh, but you are right, it is a lot harder to tear and eat raw flesh in real life than it is in the movies. That is why we invented knives and cooking fires (8

The smell, could be hygiene. What if part of the changes was the introduction of new bacteria flora that makes formic acids? This goes back to ant theory. Last, part of the changes coud be enhanced smell. It might not be coincidence that Tanya has the heightest K18 levels is the one that complains the most about Burt's B.O.

It's early and I'm still getting caffeinated so I'm sorry if this is a dumb question, Grog. If we're saying that zombies have enhanced smell, wouldn't they have to kind of enjoy nasty smells? It does seem logical that enhanced smell would be part of the change given what we've seen so I'm 100% with you on that on (cologne, sweat bombs, etc.) but wouldn't they have to kinda like BO and rot? I was listening to the scene in the arena yesterday and the stench of the pile of bodies was mentioned a few times. If that's their food store, I'd assume it would be appetizing and not off-putting, wouldn't it? Unless the enhanced smell comes first and weird appetites come later. ... I think I might've answered my own question. Sorry, need more coffee. :zombie:

Robzombie
Jan 30th, 2014, 11:21 AM
Having the sense of smell or an enhanced sense of smell is a different process in the mind from being able to descern what those smells mean, as in, this smells 'bad' vs this smells 'good'. If you grew up on rotten meat you'de propably associate that with 'good' even if it still made your eyes water. For the most part I think that their senses and the associations they have have been reduced to an extremely primitive level where a certain smell at best might mean food. It's not that they have to like the smell, but instead like what it gets for them, which would be a full belly.

Sin Angel
Jan 31st, 2014, 09:11 AM
If you smell something long enough you'll grow use to it, and it'll allow you to brush it off like it doesn't exist. Unless it's chemicals, I myself can smell the different chemicals in an item usually and it's not pleasant. The different chemicals are often off putting and give me a migraine, so maybe it's similar for them, thus they tend to flinch away from the cologne and such.

Gooer
Jan 31st, 2014, 09:19 AM
It might not be coincidence that Tanya has the heightest K18 levels is the one that complains the most about Burt's B.O.

Why can i never think of these things....

qreepii
Jun 30th, 2014, 03:37 AM
Although in world war z (book not movie) Max Brooks had some wonderful reasoning for the slow zombie. I think WA fast and smart zombies, are better for an action audio drama. Brooks' approach also didn't require much in regards to action sequences.

The other thing I think is important to remember is Datu's comments if taking a back seat to his own body. I've always thought that the zombies themselves are operating on a more primal instinct than 'brains!' kind of thing. I think most of the regular zombies are like dogs, they need direction from the smart ones, and the smartest one we know of is Ink so he has become King over the other Smarts.