PDA

View Full Version : Someone else in the mental hospital with Bill?

whenallisdark
Oct 5th, 2013, 04:33 AM
I've listened to the the entire WA around 4 times now and one thing hangs me up everytime.

As they are watching the news report about Bill Roberts, they watch it at normal speed. The news reporter says he is being transferred to a mental health facility. a few seconds later they start to skip through the report to get to the bambies (that's what my 5 year old daughter used to call zombies).

Just as they stop fast forwarding, the reporter says again "he is currently being transferred to a mental health facility"

It would be a bit odd for the news reporter to say the same thing twice for the one story.

Was there someone else involved with Bill Roberts or someone else who was being transferred to the same hospital?

Any thoughts?

Grognaurd
Oct 5th, 2013, 05:31 AM
Yea, I do NOT know how TiVo works. Is it fast forwarding through one broadcast or flipping through multiple recordings and catching news updates at the top of the hour or something. It also says something about the family was... But, I guess KC has said in an interview that it is not related.

So, In addition to the info about Bill Roberts / mental hospital, I also take a total collapse out of it. It is as if Communication is intentionally shutdown.

In any case, this is a strategic error on Michael and Angels part. Yea, he needs to clear the building, but he is blinding himself to situational awareness by not turning on the TV, radio, whatever as soon as he gets to the tower. I guess it is because I am older, but I would expect civil defense sirens and I want to access the Emergency Broadcast Network ASAP.

I figure Glenn has to understand the power of shortwave, maybe he knows all about it and is just waiting for someone to ask what did / does he hear, but then I suspend disbelief and also pretend shortwave does not exist.

But then I go hardcore journal theory and think that the only things left are critical to the character - character interactions. It is less about the zombie outbreak and more about a conspiracy going on in their midsts.

How the hell is Pegs broke a hammer relevant to a zombie outbreak that kills billions? For some reason, Pegs or Michael thought that was important enough to write down. But, it gets better, Tanya or someone else thought it was important enough to include it in the "Master" journal.

Duffusmonkey
Oct 5th, 2013, 07:16 PM
Glen is a shortwave expert and Ham radio operaters always act as critical comunication networks in times of natural Disasters, Katrina, 911, Sandy, Ham radio operaters even have a field day every year where they practice settign up emergency networks using batteries and Generators that are off the main power grid. Glen SHOULD have been part of the last intact comunications network. The fact that Glen has not added any details to the outbreak leaves me suspicious that he has already betrayed the other survivors to INK.

Do you really think that Glen and Pete were able to scare off a numbered one? Ink instructed Glen to lead the zombies to the colony. INK sent a numbered one to attack Glen and Pete to give Glen an excuse to be late to save CJ. CJ had already betrayed her tower to INK to insure her own survival but she was no longer obeying him so INK made sure she woud loose her leg in punishement.

Do you think I am crazy or am I the only one of you who is still sain!!!!!

Witch_Doctor
Oct 5th, 2013, 09:02 PM
Yea, I do NOT know how TiVo works. Is it fast forwarding through one broadcast or flipping through multiple recordings and catching news updates at the top of the hour or something. It also says something about the family was... But, I guess KC has said in an interview that it is not related.

So, In addition to the info about Bill Roberts / mental hospital, I also take a total collapse out of it. It is as if Communication is intentionally shutdown.

In any case, this is a strategic error on Michael and Angels part. Yea, he needs to clear the building, but he is blinding himself to situational awareness by not turning on the TV, radio, whatever as soon as he gets to the tower. I guess it is because I am older, but I would expect civil defense sirens and I want to access the Emergency Broadcast Network ASAP.

I figure Glenn has to understand the power of shortwave, maybe he knows all about it and is just waiting for someone to ask what did / does he hear, but then I suspend disbelief and also pretend shortwave does not exist.

But then I go hardcore journal theory and think that the only things left are critical to the character - character interactions. It is less about the zombie outbreak and more about a conspiracy going on in their midsts.

How the hell is Pegs broke a hammer relevant to a zombie outbreak that kills billions? For some reason, Pegs or Michael thought that was important enough to write down. But, it gets better, Tanya or someone else thought it was important enough to include it in the "Master" journal.

I would have thought that someone would have tried to get info on the outbreak earlier too. They were listening to the radio in their cars, but as soon as a couple of ladies arrive...

As far as the relevance of the broken hammer... let's just say that I'm not convinced that the story is told solely through the journals. I think we witness the story though the central characters' eyes.... Then again we get Saul's Dunbar account when he resumes his journal entries after a 4 month hiatus. (I hate being my own Devil's Advocate :mad:)

Red Shirt
Nov 3rd, 2013, 10:41 PM
As they are watching the news report about Bill Roberts, they watch it at normal speed. The news reporter says he is being transferred to a mental health facility. a few seconds later they start to skip through the report to get to the bambies (that's what my 5 year old daughter used to call zombies).

Just as they stop fast forwarding, the reporter says again "he is currently being transferred to a mental health facility"

It would be a bit odd for the news reporter to say the same thing twice for the one story.

Was there someone else involved with Bill Roberts or someone else who was being transferred to the same hospital?

Any thoughts?

You could be on to something... but here's my take. I'm going to go out on a limb here and make a few a lot of assumptions:

Bill Roberts AKA "Ink" is TOWTM.
He began his experiments pre-outbreak, targeting specific "types" of people.
Disappearances of similar people gets the attention of law enforcement.
News goes public, LA and the greater Metro LA region stricken with fear.
Highly publicized manhunt and capture.
"Ink" trial was a massive media circus.
"The families were devastated" alludes to the disappointment of the victim's families in the trial verdict. Probably the avoiding of the death penalty.
Probably due to his and the case's high profile nature, his transfer was also big news getting covered live.
The first mention of transfer was earlier in the day, the second was live during the transfer.

Some of these assumptions I make in the light of the recent James "Whitey" Bulger (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitey_Bulger) trial in Boston. A LOT of that was covered live... even the transfers. I think to show the public that yes, we did get the bastard.

About Glen... when we meet him in Ch. 19 2/3 we learn what types of radios he has and has been monitoring "since he got this place up and running:"
SINGARS, ham, A/N PRC-148, CB, PR1500, Police/Fire, Shortwave and a SatPhone. Silence. Nothing at all. Nothing that Glen could identify.

Victor tells Michael that he saved Glen, dragging him out of a ditch with a broken leg after having been abandoned by the group he was with. I think that in the chaos of Z-Day, he was probably not at a radio, he was running like others. At some point we also learn that Glen was a station engineer, it stands to reason that since it was his profession, radio may not have also been his hobby... I think he's clean.

Also, from Kimmet's briefing in Ch. 29 2/3 we learn that the East Coast when quiet about a week after it all started. Probably well before Glen made it to the Colony and got his radio room started. Something I'd like to point out from Ch. 34 1/3:

"There was a time in the beginning of of this when we lost entire cities. So before we lost communication with other bases, it was decided we would have something in place in case a position got overrun."

The nuclear fail-safe. In the meantime since Z-Day +7, it is probable all the other bases fell and triggered their fail-safes. There is nothing left out there to listen to... probably hasn't been for while. Our survivors are as alone in a dead and quiet world as Earth seems to be in listening to the vast universe.

Merlin1274
Nov 4th, 2013, 05:15 AM
Everyone at this point is to busy surviving and not worrying about what else is out there past LA.. So I am not sure how much effort is really going into trying to contact anyone on Ham or anything else.

Witch_Doctor
Nov 8th, 2013, 09:06 AM
About Glen... when we meet him in Ch. 19 2/3 we learn what types of radios he has and has been monitoring "since he got this place up and running:"
SINGARS, ham, A/N PRC-148, CB, PR1500, Police/Fire, Shortwave and a SatPhone. Silence. Nothing at all. Nothing that Glen could identify.

Victor tells Michael that he saved Glen, dragging him out of a ditch with a broken leg after having been abandoned by the group he was with. I think that in the chaos of Z-Day, he was probably not at a radio, he was running like others. At some point we also learn that Glen was a station engineer, it stands to reason that since it was his profession, radio may not have also been his hobby... I think he's clean.

Also, from Kimmet's briefing in Ch. 29 2/3 we learn that the East Coast when quiet about a week after it all started. Probably well before Glen made it to the Colony and got his radio room started. Something I'd like to point out from Ch. 34 1/3:

"There was a time in the beginning of of this when we lost entire cities. So before we lost communication with other bases, it was decided we would have something in place in case a position got overrun."

The nuclear fail-safe. In the meantime since Z-Day +7, it is probable all the other bases fell and triggered their fail-safes. There is nothing left out there to listen to... probably hasn't been for while. Our survivors are as alone in a dead and quiet world as Earth seems to be in listening to the vast universe.

And Redshirt weakens Witch Doctor's Crown Jewel Big Picture Theory of World Wide Radio Silence and Hidden Safe Zones.

I've always been bugged by Kimmet's comment that fail safes were put in place BEFORE losing contact with other bases. My suspicion was that there were other safe zones that were able to pull off a world-wide communications black out to prevent infected population from trying to migrate to safer ones (a la 28 Days) O_o