PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to Night Vale... what?

Hellbringer
Sep 22nd, 2013, 10:20 PM
So I'm playing around on the "10 dollar t-shirt" sites because I want to knock out a little Christmas shopping early, and after following a rabbit hole that took me from Australia to Canada to NYC, I actually come across another podcast by the name of "Welcome to Night Vale."

At first, I was like "What's this? What's this?..." (yeah, get the Nightmare Before Christmas thing going) and I try to look at their website. Yeah, that didn't have as much as I'd like to see. So I jump on Facebook and see it has like 50k+ likes and I went full Neo and said "Whoa!" Then I jumped on twitter and saw that it has over 100k followers... and yet tonight was the first time I heard of this bi-weekly thing. Maybe it's because I'm still an avid zune user, because the podcast supposedly shows up in the apple store, but really?

I haven't listened to any of it yet, but I did download all the episodes and I'll give it a try later this week.

Has anyone given "Welcome to Night Vale" a shot?

Hellbringer
Sep 30th, 2013, 09:48 AM
I've listened to the first four episodes so far and this is some weird stuff. It's like a tripping version of a radio broadcast of the "Twilight Zone." I'm going to have to check out the behind the scenes stuff to figure out how and why it has as many fans on facebook and twitter as it does; something tells me that I'm easily overlooking something.

Kyuubil
Nov 11th, 2013, 05:56 PM
Tumblr. It's Huge on tumblr, the spillover to other social media comes from there. (Just realized the date on your post, uh, necromancy, yay! surprisingly appropriate.

It's got a sort of tongue-in-cheek feel to lovecraftian horror, and well the host is openly gay (... you should see the amount of CecilxCarlos fanart.)

It's honestly -really- good, the fanbase is just a tad overzealous. Theres no real story or connection between the episodes outside of characters carrying over, or a plotline from one episode concluding in another, but.. it takes what would normally be horror, and turns it into a delightful little radio show where strange glowing clouds that occasionally appear then rain dead animals on the city running for head of the PTA on the local school system is all fine.

FunkyDung
Nov 11th, 2013, 08:01 PM
I freaking love this series. It's like NPR meets Courage the Cowardly Dog meets Twin Peaks. Bizarrely brilliant. :)

FunkyDung
Nov 11th, 2013, 08:04 PM
Theres no real story or connection between the episodes outside of characters carrying over, or a plotline from one episode concluding in another, but.. it takes what would normally be horror, and turns it into a delightful little radio show where strange glowing clouds that occasionally appear then rain dead animals on the city running for head of the PTA on the local school system is all fine.

Seems to me there's a progression to the story, though I admit it's not as explicit as in a typical narrative plot.

7oddisdead
Nov 11th, 2013, 11:37 PM
I didn't want to like this series when I first heard it...but dammit, it is good. I think funkydung hit all the major points of why I like it.

good stuff.

Robzombie
Nov 12th, 2013, 08:36 PM
Yeah I gotten through 20 or so episodes. Funny cause its weird.

Something else I just finished and really enjoyed was Public Enemy Zero. Bit of a different take on a "zombie-ish" story and one guy trying to stay alive.

Solanine
Dec 9th, 2013, 04:02 AM
So I only found out about this cos Osiris shared an article about it on Facebook. Definitely gong t check it out though, just as soon as We're Alive is finished.