PDA

View Full Version : Musical preferences

cPT.cAPSLOCK
Jan 24th, 2011, 03:51 PM
Just another zombie-unrelated thread,, this time focusing on music! Something we all love - be it blues, jazz, metal or R&B. Or something else entirely.

I was wondering what kind of music you guys are into. After all, if people have similar tastes it can be a great way to discover something new.

I myself mostly listen to hard rock and metal - usual melodic or progressive. My favourite artist is Alter Bridge, hands down, followed by Avenged Sevenfold, Amorphis, Kamelot and Escape the Fate.
I am very nit-picky with the vocals though: I absolutely dislike grunting or screaming vocals - clean ones all the way. I love metal for it's guitar riffs, the drums and the melodies.

Still, I do listen to Indi and underground or alternative songs when I'm in the mood. Think John Butler Trio, I Am Kloot, Tallest Man on Earth, the list goes on.

I tend to listen to complete albums instead of single songs, and even more-so with concept albums.
My favourite albums are AB III and Blackbird by Alter Bridge, followed by Nightmare by Avenged Sevenfold, Skyforger by Amorphis, and The Black Halo and Poetry for the Poisoned by Kamelot.

And of course I have a Last.FM page (http://www.last.fm/user/tcdejong), as music really is a passion for me. There's pretty much always something playing here.

Also, since I really love to listen to the details in each song I try to have as much as possible in FLAC or OGG. I try to avoid MP3 whenever possible, though 320kb/s is okay until I can acquire a better copy.
To actually be able to hear the difference, I have an Auzentech soundcard that's connected to my Z-5500 optically.

What about you guys? Love to see if there's something I haven't heard of before!

Spud
Jan 24th, 2011, 04:08 PM
Dont mean to bash a thread but we do have a what you are listening to thread
http://zombiepodcast.com/forum/showthread.php?27-What-are-you-listening-to

cPT.cAPSLOCK
Jan 25th, 2011, 03:14 AM
True, but that's only about what's playing right now - not about what you like in general.
If you ask me, there's a significant difference.

Spud
Jan 25th, 2011, 03:21 AM
then by all means let me be the next person to post about it xP

I listen to Punk Rock and Ska Mostly

Punk wise i listen to stuff like the Castualties, The Exploited, Rancid, Operation Ivy*early Rancid* stuff like that.
Ska wise i listen to more 3rd wave ska like The Toasters or the Real big fish or SKankin' Pickle. or Streetlight Manifesto.
and i also Love Psychobilly bands like Tiger Army and Zombie Ghost Train.

you'll see them in my posts in the what are you listening to thread a lot im sure cause im a fan of those type of threads when im just sitting at my computer listening to music haha

RamblinMike
Feb 2nd, 2011, 06:54 PM
I suppose I mainly listen to old folk music. Woody Guthrie, Reverend Gary Davis, Leadbelly, Jean Ritchie, Pete Seeger. Actually I'm going to see Pete Seeger at the Clearwater festival this summer.

On the more eclectic side, I really dig Billy Bragg, Beck, Wilco, Bob Dylan (pretty much everything from his career), The Be Good Tanyas (RIP), Buddy Holly, Sufjan Stevens, and Tom Waits. Oh, and did I mention Billy Bragg? Cause I really dig Billy Bragg. really.

I am very nit-picky with the vocals though: I absolutely dislike grunting or screaming vocals - clean ones all the way. I love metal for it's guitar riffs, the drums and the melodies.

I feel you. The screaming just gets on my nerves, but when they come my way, hard rock and metal are both known to make me very happy. Reminds me of old times.

Hollomandious
Feb 2nd, 2011, 08:14 PM
Wow. So far, everyone is unique in this conversation. Let me continue that trend.

General day to day, love me some Alt Rock (past and present). My radio is usually tuned to Alt Nation (sirus 21/XM 18) at home and in the car. Love most anything w/ a good bass beat in it. Electronic and Rap are always favs in the car when i'm in the mood to make the speakers bleed. I've got a sub in the back, love me some lows (when those pipe bombs dropped i almost wet myself).

A list of artists i've gone thru recently. OceanLab, Blind Mellon, Pearl Jam, Outkast, CeeLo/GnarlesBarklay, MyChemicalRomance, BrokenBells, Mephiskapheles, JethroTull, Outlaws. AfexTwin, Ludachris, Lil Jon, TheCure, Coheed&Cambria.

Forget country tho.

Fav band. I've had a few, but it always comes back to Blind Mellon's Mouthful of Cavities. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WMY-n9MF6o (god damn heroin, takes the best of em).

I The K Train I
Feb 3rd, 2011, 05:58 AM
Rock or Metal mainly.

I like soundtrack music too. Like music from video games and movies etc.

My favourite artists would be: Oasis, RUSH, Ozzy Osbourne, Black Sabbath, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Motorhead and a whole host more.

mascaria
Feb 3rd, 2011, 08:08 AM
Iiiiii listen to... punk, ska, reggae, rap, r&b, grunge, riot grrrl, classic rock, old funk, metal, rock and some classic country, 90s and early 2000 era emo. Hmmm...

I like some club music too.

I'm pretty all over the map.

Fav band. I've had a few, but it always comes back to Blind Mellon's Mouthful of Cavities. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WMY-n9MF6o (god damn heroin, takes the best of em).

Mouthful is a great one but seriously Change... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFqvIUcfBcw

It's one of the songs that I'd have for sure on the sound track of my life.

riskbreaker23
Mar 27th, 2011, 10:50 AM
I'm like K Train. I like soundtracks too, but I also like Metal. I have a Zune pass (because Zune is the best) and I'm going to look for some of the artists you talked about, Capslock. I like metal but I also prefer good vocals and not just grunting and screaming. But that's a hard thing to find in music.

cycogod
Mar 27th, 2011, 03:35 PM
8 bit - - makes me feel like i'm playing old school games...

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=8+bit+music&aq=f

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5cnEVavDTo

MrScott101
Mar 30th, 2011, 06:51 PM
I'm into all sorts of music except 90% of the country music and opera. I've actually been playing bass guitar for about 17 years now and started on guitar about 2 years before that. I've played in bands ranging from alt rock/grunge to tool rip off, industrial metal, black metal and even death metal. But I listen to all sorts. Lately I've been listening my own music that the wife and I have been making, it's a bit more melodic, rock, goth style but we have a concept going on using psychology overtones with personal experience and a main focus on vampires. If anyone wants to hear it it's http://www.youtube.com/MrScott101 please bear with the crappy extra noises that Nero likes to put in. If anyone wants to have an mp3 or two just pm me with your email and I can send you a song or two.

My all time favorites are STP, Tool, Korn, Primus, Ween, old Pearl Jam, Lamb of God, God Forbid, Dimmu Borgir, static x, Ministry, The Orb, Nirvana, AIC, Ok I'll stop their I guess I have way too many all time favorites!!

Osiris
May 10th, 2011, 03:56 PM
18 years as a bassist and 16 with guitar have lead me through many phases musically, bands that inspire and sounds I've always wanted to find a way to pay homage to without replicating or ripping off. There are three constants in the never-ending rotation of styles on my ipod: Tool, Metric and Faith No More. Three bands I don't want to live without thatI would assume it to be considered Progressive Rock/Metal, Indie Pop and... well... Faith No More. However, I've been wrong before.

Ctatyk Frost
May 24th, 2011, 11:06 PM
I listen to a really broad spectrum of music depending on what I'm doing and how much attention I'm planning on paying to the music.
About the only kinds of music that I don't listen to are Jazz and Blues. I don't know, never developed a taste for either of them.
It appears lately that I spend entirely too much time listening to metal (and the various genres that are encompassed in that), Folk (Celtic mostly), and Baroque music. The last simply because I love the sound of a harpsichord.
Current favorite song: Fix Me by 10 Years.

shric debar
Jun 17th, 2011, 03:05 AM
i like most music really. i listen to pretty much everything from queen to classical. from Big Band Jazz to Dragonforce. the only music i really hate is rap but other than that i listen to most stuff. if i like a piece of music i'll listen to it i don't care who it's by.