PDA

View Full Version : Tanya: Suicide Syringes

Grognaurd
Aug 29th, 2013, 04:54 AM
I do not think Suicide Syringes are standard fare in a military trauma center, but Saul "knew" it would be in the Colony's hospital. This IS something found in a Vetrinary clinic. Saul was with his Mom for less than an hour before going after Lizzy and he knew his mother would reproduce this technology in her hospital

Add I am quick with a syringe quote adds a whole new meaning meaning in this context

I will not put my tinfoil hat on for this one. Instead, I will just...

:: insert ominous music here ::

scbubba
Aug 29th, 2013, 05:43 AM
I do not think Suicide Syringes are standard fare in a military trauma center, but Saul "knew" it would be in the Colony's hospital. This IS something found in a Vetrinary clinic. Saul was with his Mom for less than an hour before going after Lizzy and he knew his mother would reproduce this technology in her hospital

Add I am quick with a syringe quote adds a whole new meaning meaning in this context

I will not put my tinfoil hat on for this one. Instead, I will just...

:: insert ominous music here ::

That's a really good observation. Common for a vet but not for an MD. Thinking back, I'm pretty sure that the Colony clinic wasn't Tanya's practice originally, so she either brought them with her or made them up once she got established at the Colony. So, either way, they were there when Saul was going through the stuff in the clinic/infirmary.

Did Saul know that they would be there or did he just happen to see them and, because he knew something about veterinary medicine from his mom, knew what they were?

Grognaurd
Aug 29th, 2013, 05:49 AM
Saul says something like where are they, there you are. He wa actively looking for them.

scbubba
Aug 29th, 2013, 05:54 AM
Saul says something like where are they, there you are. He wa actively looking for them.

Well, there you go. Couldn't remember it exactly. Interesting that he assumed that they were there. It's also expedient for the story, too.....

Grognaurd
Aug 29th, 2013, 06:54 AM
Nope, my bad. The conversation refers to finding morphine for CJ. Then he finds the suicide syringe. Chapter 35 2 of 3 ~12:45. Not as damning, but still bad in my opinion. First rule is do no harm for an MD. But, Tanya has them off the shelf ready to go and optimized for human consumption. What was that about an Apocolyptic cult... Sorry there is that tin hat again...

scbubba
Aug 29th, 2013, 07:37 AM
Nope, my bad. The conversation refers to finding morphine for CJ. Then he finds the suicide syringe. Chapter 35 2 of 3 ~12:45. Not as damning, but still bad in my opinion. First rule is do no harm for an MD. But, Tanya has them off the shelf ready to go and optimized for human consumption. What was that about an Apocolyptic cult... Sorry there is that tin hat again...

Welcome to the club! :D
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_jiUQ7PmvS8c/TTB9hThBdVI/AAAAAAAAAEI/0RixljBOBuk/s400/tin-foil-hat.jpg

Kc
Aug 29th, 2013, 10:15 AM
Good catch. Yes, he discovered it earlier when looking for morphine, but why did Tanya have it there? If you remember back when she dealt with the slow turner and how she originally got the bite mark, they had to put it down. Knowing she might have to do that more, she kept some supplies handy.

That being said, another details that I'm leaving out is what exactly they used. I know what it is, and I can leave people here to theorize, but I felt it was a sort of writer's morality to leave out the specifics.

Grognaurd
Aug 29th, 2013, 10:34 AM
I think it best not to speculate on name and mechanism of action. It really should be classified as Need to Know. Hell, it probably is a buzzword over in homeland security

Duffusmonkey
Aug 29th, 2013, 10:35 AM
Since Tonya is a Vet not a real doctor I assumed that she was just used to having suicide syringes ready. Plus lots of standard medicine are deadly in large doses. Potassium Chloride is used to treat low potassium levels but it is also used for lethal injections

pmchawk
Aug 29th, 2013, 03:28 PM

I don't think that is the case. I think he was going through the cabinet and knew what it was immediately.

"Man, they have d@mn near everything in here. Oh, huh, I definitely might need this."

Grognaurd
Aug 29th, 2013, 03:57 PM
I don't think that is the case. I think he was going through the cabinet and knew what it was immediately.

"Man, they have d@mn near everything in here. Oh, huh, I definitely might need this."

Yup, my bad, the part I recalled was the morphine for CJ

HardKor
Aug 29th, 2013, 05:02 PM
Since Tonya is a Vet not a real doctor I assumed that she was just used to having suicide syringes ready. Plus lots of standard medicine are deadly in large doses. Potassium Chloride is used to treat low potassium levels but it is also used for lethal injections

Good point. The syringes could have easily been something like Potassium Chloride or anything else easy to overdose on. And just because Tanya had those syringes around doesn't mean she had them there right from the start. She may well have realized the necessity of putting someone down quickly and relatively painlessly and knew what kinds of meds worked for that so she had some mixed up. I'm guessing she mixed them up when she first saw the slow turner because she knew there was a good chance he was going to need to be put down and those syringes are a lot more humane, and less messy, than a bullet.

Malador
Aug 29th, 2013, 08:57 PM
It's likely that the syringes contain Pentobarbital, since it can be used as a sedative and an anesthetic in normal does, but causes deep unconsciousness and caridaic arrest in higher doses.

scbubba
Aug 30th, 2013, 04:08 AM
Reading through this thread I wonder if Tanya had been an MD vs a veterinarian, would she have made up the suicide syringes or not. As a vet, she will have had euthanization as a regular part of her practice and training/philosophy about when to use it. Most MD's don't/wouldn't, I think.

And since Saul worked with her at times, I'm sure he had the same understanding/philosophy about it. In other words, if there had been a different doctor at the colony or someone other than Saul digging in there, we wouldn't have had the syringe that kept Mucho Macho Victor from becoming the baddest ass Zed around.... (great f'n scene!)

Since Little One Arm got stitched by the minigun right after that, we have no idea how the drugs affect the Zeds. Just that a needle to the eye distracts them pretty well.