PDA

View Full Version : Chapter 37-1: Balance of Power

nikvoodoo
Aug 25th, 2013, 05:22 AM
We are just 24 hours away from the beginning of the end! I you're new here, all chapter discussions belong in this thread. Don't create a new one to discuss/digest the episode.

If you have a theory or character question, put them in the appropriate sections.

Mondays are about to finally not suck in 2013!!!!

Hellbringer
Aug 25th, 2013, 06:26 AM
dude! you made me think that KC dropped it early for us...

yeah, I can't wait, but it's something I must do.

werewolf
Aug 25th, 2013, 07:04 AM
let it begin! let it begin! :excited::hammer::yay:

UndeadSweeper
Aug 26th, 2013, 05:01 AM
Oh Boy! Today is the day.

Hoff4D
Aug 26th, 2013, 07:11 AM
We are just 24 hours away from the beginning of the end! I you're new here, all chapter discussions belong in this thread. Don't create a new one to discuss/digest the episode.

If you have a theory or character question, put them in the appropriate sections.

Mondays are about to finally not suck in 2013!!!!

First time I read that, I read it as "Mondays are about to finally suck in 2013" skipping the "not" part, I was thinking, "well yea, the hours to wait for the release are pretty terrible...but it's really worth the payoff, kind of dramatic there Nik dont ya think?"....then I re-read it and man am I an idiot..

So excited I can't even read right!

MrRedBeard
Aug 26th, 2013, 08:22 AM
It's out go go go

Th3_T3ch
Aug 26th, 2013, 08:27 AM
Finally life is back in on the forums. Only a half hour until go time.

MrRedBeard
Aug 26th, 2013, 08:29 AM
Finally life is back in on the forums. Only a half hour until go time.

It's out already!

LiamKerrington
Aug 26th, 2013, 08:33 AM
The intro-scene: Starting with blazing guns.

#11 downed.
#1 killed. AND: It spoke ...

The classic version of the theme song makes me feel odd ... There is a certain melancholy to it ...

Important quote
We were stronger now.

MrRedBeard
Aug 26th, 2013, 08:37 AM
#1 killed. AND: It spoke ...

It said die but I could of swore it said We're Alive first.

LiamKerrington
Aug 26th, 2013, 08:38 AM
And I would like to have a decent picture of Burt how he looked like according to Michaels description - and this so much! Totally badass - especially considering the circumstances ... !

Penguine
Aug 26th, 2013, 08:39 AM
My review...

Excellent, great beginning, to short.

--------------
*Merged review thread with this one. Seemed fitting.

Th3_T3ch
Aug 26th, 2013, 08:52 AM
Holy sweet mother of Bill Roberts. Great intro for season four. I loved how it started with a hunt of little ones, definitely great foreshadowing for the rest of the season. Way to go Kc!!!!

Litmaster
Aug 26th, 2013, 08:54 AM
Yeah buddy! Awesome!
No time jump! All badasses together!
Going for listen #2!!!

UndeadSweeper
Aug 26th, 2013, 08:58 AM

Former D&D gamer perhaps?

It was clear from the exchange that he want to roll for initiative and Micheal said "You first" but he had quick draw.

Penguine
Aug 26th, 2013, 08:58 AM
3rd listen through, very good episode. The beginning hunt was great, the "no one in charge" exchange was perfect.

MrRedBeard
Aug 26th, 2013, 09:01 AM
Former D&D gamer perhaps?

Haha

UndeadSweeper
Aug 26th, 2013, 09:02 AM
My review...

Excellent, great beginning, to short.

--------------
*Merged review thread with this one. Seemed fitting.

Yup, I was like why is there more???????

Did anyone have any issue recognize the voices too? I think it been too long since I have heard Saul maybe.

Witch_Doctor
Aug 26th, 2013, 09:04 AM
"About two miles south-west of The Colony, Off Magnolia!"

Thanks Tony Robins! That Inkling was on my street. :bunker:

Witch_Doctor
Aug 26th, 2013, 09:06 AM

Gonna listen with better ear phones, but I thought I heard it say "we're alive" first too.

Grognaurd
Aug 26th, 2013, 09:07 AM
Listening, but damn, have they learned nothing?!? Their triage SUX

Kc
Aug 26th, 2013, 09:11 AM
"About two south-west of The Colony, Off Magnolia!"

Better start running...

Witch_Doctor
Aug 26th, 2013, 09:12 AM
Funniest quote, Michael to Burt, "Lie down! In a BED; I don't want anyone setting you on fire, thinking you're a corpse." (Or something to that effect.)

HardKor
Aug 26th, 2013, 09:13 AM
Oh yeah! Feels good to finally hear some new We're Alive! Like Nik said, finally Monday doesn't suck.
Ok my impressions:
1. Loved the bit of action to open things up. It really gave the feel that they are going on the offensive. And I liked Michael's opening. It sounded more forceful this time around. In the other seasons his "That was then, this is now" speech was always kinda forlorn sounding, like he was preparing for the end. This time it had hope in it.
2. I don't think any of us really considered the balance of power (there's those double meanings again!) in tho Colony. We all just kinda assumed everyone would go along. Now I really wanna know how the colonists are gonna react to Michael and co. considering they still blame him for leaving them helpless.

Oh yeah I'm amped up! Bring on the rest of the season!

Grognaurd
Aug 26th, 2013, 09:15 AM
Audible.com

Wow! The cash they pay is nothing if it was the published rates, but the incidental costs of managerial meetings required to get that approved are really high. That is BIGTIME support from a major corporate sponsor. Good things happening in the franchise, GRATZ KC et.al.

Pillars
Aug 26th, 2013, 09:17 AM
Better start running...

Nice

UndeadSweeper
Aug 26th, 2013, 09:19 AM
Oh yeah! Feels good to finally hear some new We're Alive! Like Nik said, finally Monday doesn't suck.
Ok my impressions:
1. Loved the bit of action to open things up. It really gave the feel that they are going on the offensive. And I liked Michael's opening. It sounded more forceful this time around. In the other seasons his "That was then, this is now" speech was always kinda forlorn sounding, like he was preparing for the end. This time it had hope in it.
2. I don't think any of us really considered the balance of power (there's those double meanings again!) in tho Colony. We all just kinda assumed everyone would go along. Now I really wanna know how the colonists are gonna react to Michael and co. considering they still blame him for leaving them helpless.

Oh yeah I'm amped up! Bring on the rest of the season!

But his opening does make me wonder, is the eps pic a post first wave attack or of something big coming?

And the missing title message opening, I thought KC was messing with us and have going have a cawing crow for the entire length of the mp3.

LiamKerrington
Aug 26th, 2013, 09:25 AM
"About two south-west of The Colony, Off Magnolia!"

You got lucky, mate! Nice to still have you around as a human being ...

Witch_Doctor
Aug 26th, 2013, 09:28 AM
Amy got some comeuppance. I wonder if karmic score will be settled this season.

Whose lying on the ground in the artwork?

KC really had me going when Tonya went to grab the bottle to inject Amy. When she calmed down, I thought, "The anti-biotic couldn't possibly work that fast." Took me a while to realized that she was euthanized. Interesting that she said the same thing as the turning soldier at the Chinook crash sight, and Fernando as he was turning. "It hurts" Tommy didn't mention pain but he and Amy were the longest to be coherent before turning. I was hoping she would have given some insight as to what was going on in her mind.

Was Amy being truthful when she said that she was only scratched by the Inkling? Someone mentioned in another thread that they (Inklings) might not have to infect by biting their victims but scratching is sufficient.

Did anyone else hear the Inkling say "we're alive"?

Nathan.Luiz
Aug 26th, 2013, 09:30 AM
Pretty good first episode. Inevitable that they'd have to cut off CJ's leg, let's be honest, we all know that at the end of Season 3. Be interesting to see how the chloroform works, always the possibility it'll go wrong. Speaking Little One is new, before this I assumed just TOWTM could speak, but now it shows that the zombies may be more intelligent than we knew. Overall, a good start to the final season, Monday's for the next year ish will be great again!

YetAnotherBloodyCheek
Aug 26th, 2013, 09:40 AM
Great music, great atmosphere, an impressive episode kick-off scene. Thumbs up!

YetAnotherBloodyCheek
Aug 26th, 2013, 09:42 AM
"I couldn't hear you over my awesomeness". Classic.

kahliimah
Aug 26th, 2013, 09:44 AM
Gonna listen with better ear phones, but I thought I heard it say "we're alive" first too.

I thought it said we're alive too!

Witch_Doctor
Aug 26th, 2013, 09:45 AM
Speaking Little One is new, before this I assumed just TOWTM could speak, but now it shows that the zombies may be more intelligent than we knew.

Whoa!, if the Inklings started out as babies, then who taught them to talk? Maybe they were not as young as some of us thought.

UndeadSweeper
Aug 26th, 2013, 09:48 AM
Whoa!, if the Inklings started out as babies, then who taught them to talk? Maybe they were not as young as some of us thought.

Odd, that the first ADLO to speak is #1.

Jannit
Aug 26th, 2013, 09:49 AM
So excited to have this back and see all of the familiar faces around here. I have to say that I'm really not looking forward to the weekly 6 day, 23 hour and 30 minute wait for the next episode.

MrRedBeard
Aug 26th, 2013, 09:50 AM

The man in the pin striped suit. I thought there was evidence to support experiments by him in the basement of the hospital that may have led to the creation of the little ones.

stompthemusic
Aug 26th, 2013, 09:51 AM
that was definitely an awesome episode, but WAY to short!
I really loved the quick quips here and there from the different characters.

Nathan.Luiz
Aug 26th, 2013, 09:51 AM

You'd have to assume TOWTM. Or it might be some kind of device that's kicked in when they're near death to distract the human from killing them (as we saw with hesitation from Michael once it spoke the first time).

Witch_Doctor
Aug 26th, 2013, 10:04 AM
The man in the pin striped suit. I thought there was evidence to support experiments by him in the basement of the hospital that may have led to the creation of the little ones.

You'd have to assume TOWTM. Or it might be some kind of device that's kicked in when they're near death to distract the human from killing them (as we saw with hesitation from Michael once it spoke the first time).

I'm more interested in the How as opposed to the Who. I mean, can anyone imagine TOWTM singing nursery rhymes and telling bedding time stories?

"1 little-one 2 little-one 3 little-one Inklings, 4 little-one 5 little-one 6 little-one Inklings, 7 little-one 8 little-one 9 little-one Inklings, 10 Little ADLOs die die die!"

Nathan.Luiz
Aug 26th, 2013, 10:06 AM
I'm more interested in the How as opposed to the Who. I mean, can anyone imagine TOWTM singing nursery rhymes and telling bedding time stories?

"1 little-one 2 little-one 3 little-one Inklings, 4 little-one 5 little-one 6 little-one Inklings, 7 little-one 8 little-one 9 little-one Inklings, 10 Little ADLOs die die die!"

Maybe it's just part of their humanity left over (Presuming, of course, they were human in the first place)

UndeadSweeper
Aug 26th, 2013, 10:09 AM
So we know that there are 12 little ones, unless Inkling pulled a old high school prank and labels one #36 or something.

But where are the smart ones we have heard very little of?......

Nathan.Luiz
Aug 26th, 2013, 10:11 AM
So we know that there are 12 little ones, unless Inkling pulled a old high school prank and labels one #36 or something.

But where are the smart ones we have heard very little of?......
I'd guess we don't know which zombies are smart and which ones aren't (of the normals) when all we here about them is them being gunned down in the first minute of the episode.

Witch_Doctor
Aug 26th, 2013, 10:11 AM
The artwork is creepy. Looks like at some point The Colony gets over run. It could be the aftermath of Colonist-Maller civil war, but the fire seems to be larger than what would be needed burn bodies. In fact, a building seems to be on fire.

The body laying down is disturbing. I would expect the military guy to all be dressed in desert ACUs but what about the pilots? Could that be Muldoon?

Great, I'm all worked up for next Monday. :tinfoil:

YetAnotherBloodyCheek
Aug 26th, 2013, 10:15 AM
Hm, I wonder if the "If you can't run, you're done" rule will apply to CJ. If Scratch will be able to sneak into the colony, there might be a chance for a rather nasty déjà-vu at the hospital. :-S Well, it seems that Scratch finally succeeded in halving CJ's biological footprint.

UndeadSweeper
Aug 26th, 2013, 10:16 AM
I'd guess we don't know which zombies are smart and which ones aren't (of the normals) when all we here about them is them being gunned down in the first minute of the episode.

We have seen one, the General at the outpost. he just got run-over by the hummer in the first season. And we only heard to stay away from Doctor areas.

nikvoodoo
Aug 26th, 2013, 10:18 AM
Great opening! Love the new intro music. It's very somber and fitting.

Artwork: I think it's one of the bodies of a Maller/Colonist from the previous battle. I think we're about to spend a bunch of time on CJ and a horrific field surgery.

I agree we all knew CJ was going to lose her leg. I mean when you think about plot lines, this episode puts us right in line with what we needed to know: We are attacking the little ones, Michael is still not liked at the Colony despite just saving them, CJ loses her leg (very soon), not a lot of supplies, and Amy got what she deserved.....

And I do agree with Tanya's choice. Amy was bad people, but so was Gatekeeper and Shovel-Face and they redeemed prior to the battle. I like the humane treatment of Amy allowing her to slip away vs. a bullet.

Food for thought: How horrible would it be to be writhing in pain on a hospital bed and hear someone say "They're turning!" I don't know which I'd want more: Kill me, or react slow enough to give me a chance in my second incarnation.

Witch_Doctor
Aug 26th, 2013, 10:19 AM
We have seen one, the General at the outpost. he just got run-over by the hummer in the first season. And we only heard to stay away from Doctor areas.

And the Witch Doctor areas too.

"About two miles south-west of The Colony, Off Magnolia!"

Nathan.Luiz
Aug 26th, 2013, 10:20 AM

There was also the one on Burt's shop that managed to climb the ladder. But if they're just getting shot at it's hard to tell.

MrRedBeard
Aug 26th, 2013, 10:23 AM

Bahahaha funny and disturbing

UndeadSweeper
Aug 26th, 2013, 10:23 AM
Food for thought: How horrible would it be to be writhing in pain on a hospital bed and hear someone say "They're turning!" I don't know which I'd want more: Kill me, or react slow enough to give me a chance in my second incarnation.

I thought Micheal react was correct, I don't know why he as apologize for, she had no idea how she was injury and was talking about the great pain, we still don't how one injury by ALDO reacted. Her said that it wasn't a Little ones doesn't cut it.

UndeadSweeper
Aug 26th, 2013, 10:25 AM
And the Witch Doctor areas too.

That was a ALDO not smart ones. How couldn't you tell? Weren't you there?

There was also the one on Burt's shop that managed to climb the ladder. But if they're just getting shot at it's hard to tell.

I don't know, but may be not. Because I think there was also one the apt lobby because it was try avoid the gunfire.

OldtypeM87
Aug 26th, 2013, 10:27 AM
Definitely liking that it takes off pretty much right within a few hours after season 3 rather than a big leap in time and spending the entire episode explaining the gap.

Had to turn my speakers on my laptop up to hear #1 but I did hear the word alive come from him (not sure on we're) followed by die 2nd that prompted the "you first" comment from Michael. I can't wait to see how this talking revelation plays into the later episodes as to future clues about the zeds and Ink's numbered guard.

All I can guess is things will get bloody (if not already for some individuals) next week. Just don't lose your leg in anticipation.

Witch_Doctor
Aug 26th, 2013, 10:32 AM
That was a ALDO not smart ones. How couldn't you tell? Weren't you there?

Yep, you're right. Too busy pooping my pants.

Hoff4D
Aug 26th, 2013, 10:34 AM

I think I heard "Why.....I.... alive....die...." Gonna go with Michael's reaction and just assume it was "Die" a few times because they all just sound so damn similar

nikvoodoo
Aug 26th, 2013, 10:36 AM
Ok....I can't have been the first person to think about a correlation between Balance of Power and CJ's impending amputation...

UndeadSweeper
Aug 26th, 2013, 10:39 AM
Yep, you're right. Too busy pooping my pants.

Come on, if Datu can take on a zombie, Witch_Doctor should be able to handle a ADLO with a saw-off in one hand and a bucket of Hot Buffalo wings in the other.

MrRedBeard
Aug 26th, 2013, 10:39 AM
I think I heard "Why.....I.... alive....die...." Gonna go with Michael's reaction and just assume it was "Die" a few times because they all just sound so damn similar

I was thinking it was one of the two after listening a few times but it doesn't sound like just "die". Ah details! I love this!

YetAnotherBloodyCheek
Aug 26th, 2013, 10:41 AM
I do not know what to make of Datu's transformation. I mean, the survivors always could rely on Datu in the past. But now, he literally has become the incarnation of a keyboard hotkey.

Victor: "The gates barely holding up."
Saul: "Surprising it lasted as long as it did."
Victor: "... what if..."
Michael: "DATU! FIX! <Pressing F3>"
Datu: "Oookay, Michael"
Michael: "See? Done, relax."

What is this? Command & Conquer 3?

Hoff4D
Aug 26th, 2013, 10:41 AM
The artwork is creepy. Looks like at some point The Colony gets over run. It could be the aftermath of Colonist-Maller civil war, but the fire seems to be larger than what would be needed burn bodies. In fact, a building seems to be on fire.

The body laying down is disturbing. I would expect the military guy to all be dressed in desert ACUs but what about the pilots? Could that be Muldoon?

Great, I'm all worked up for next Monday. :tinfoil:

Note that it's pointing to Liberty park too, so isn't that "well within" the colony walls that someone is apparently gunned down? Just interesting to think about.

Also, I thought the same thing as you about Tonya, thinking she was giving an anti-biotic to stop that chick from turning....Got too high of hopes to flesh out the immunity/vaccination theories in the first ep, lol

Hoff4D
Aug 26th, 2013, 10:43 AM

And the one that got on the roof of Locked'n'Loaded when burt made his first badass appearance. The tags from some lab or another....I too wonder about fleshing out this 'smart' ones thing. Although the smart ones still appear to be of the 'normal' class, just smarter....thats just my 2 cents tho

Edit: I commented too soon, credit to Nathan.Luiz for noting this first

UndeadSweeper
Aug 26th, 2013, 10:44 AM
Note that it's pointing to Liberty park too, so isn't that "well within" the colony walls that someone is apparently gunned down? Just interesting to think about.

Also, I thought the same thing as you about Tonya, thinking she was giving an anti-biotic to stop that chick from turning....Got too high of hopes to flesh out the immunity/vaccination theories in the first ep, lol
I thought too, but the smoke could be fromthe incendiary they used and remember that the mallers and colonies were having a shoot too. But still.....

Cabbage Patch
Aug 26th, 2013, 10:44 AM
Some additional memorable moments/notes:

50 caliber rounds kill Little Ones. Good to know; nice that the survivors have access to two of them. The Pelican and two trucks armed with 50 calibers would make the core of a nice little offensive strike force. Too bad the good guys lost their SWAT van!

Maybe Little One #1's "die, die" weren't a threat against them, but rather a plea for the soldiers to kill it.

Hope still doesn't know if her operation succeeded! Hopefully they'll let her take her bandages off in time for the finale.

"Datu, fix!" So concise, so powerful. If only Michael could learn to convey information as effectively. He did a horrible job of alerting Tanya when he saw that Amy was in the process of turning.

People who mess with Pegs don't fare well. Amy is dead, it looks like Bixby is dead too. That just leaves Scratch.

Chloroform call-back! Micheal is going to make some for CJ, kind of making up for forgetting to do so for Saul.

More deep sleep after close contact with zombies...this time Michael and Burt. Of course they're exhausted, so it could be a coincidence.

nikvoodoo
Aug 26th, 2013, 10:45 AM
I do not know what to make of Datu's transformation. I mean, the survivors always could rely on Datu in the past. But now, he literally has become the incarnation of a keyboard hotkey.

King Datu the Resourceful finds your lack of faith disturbing.

Hoff4D
Aug 26th, 2013, 10:47 AM
Ok....I can't have been the first person to think about a correlation between Balance of Power and CJ's impending amputation...

*rimshot*

REZombie
Aug 26th, 2013, 10:51 AM
Great episode!!!! But too short!!!

Gonna have to give it another listen or ten....the wait until next monday is gonna kill me...this is the first time i'v had to listen to an active season, i started listening at the end of season 3, and just breezed through....this waiting sucks, lol

Hoff4D
Aug 26th, 2013, 10:52 AM
I thought too, but the smoke could be fromthe incendiary they used and remember that the mallers and colonies were having a shoot too. But still.....

Yea, I just assume after the 'civil war' (if you will), there would've already been at least SOME body pick-up, and we wouldn't have the dead lining the streets, if nothing else, just to make sure none of them are dead from Zeds, and could possibly turn.....This could be circumvented by some quick headshots (with a knife to save ammo), to make sure they aren't turners, but I think the pick would be quite a bit more gruesome if that were the case. I find it highly unlikely to leave bodies strewn about, even in the panic, un-checked.

All that said...Kc could be just giving us exactly what you're saying, and just not showing us the brutality of the double-checks that would definitely happen. I'm putting my flag in the 'shit goes down within the walls this episode' camp tho.

nikvoodoo
Aug 26th, 2013, 10:52 AM
*rimshot*

Hey, laugh if you want but it sure as sh** is hard to balance on one leg. Add crutches and we get a triangle and you balance your power!

YetAnotherBloodyCheek
Aug 26th, 2013, 10:54 AM
King Datu the Resourceful finds your lack of faith disturbing.

My guess is that Datu has the ability to synthesize large amounts of amphetamines in his body. How can it be possible for him to be constantly running around and fixing things. Wow. Tough little guy. I did not want to sound disrespectful, my dark and evil master. :)

Kc
Aug 26th, 2013, 10:55 AM
All that said...Kc could be just giving us exactly what you're saying, and just not showing us the brutality of the double-checks that would definitely happen. I'm putting my flag in the 'shit goes down within the walls this episode' camp tho.

Yeah, not a fan of gratuitous violence, or at least showing it. There's something to be said about hearing it vs. seeing it.

Hoff4D
Aug 26th, 2013, 10:57 AM

50 caliber rounds kill Little Ones. Good to know; nice that the survivors have access to two of them. The Pelican and two trucks armed with 50 calibers would make the core of a nice little offensive strike force. Too bad the good guys lost their SWAT van!

Maybe Little One #1's "die, die" weren't a threat against them, but rather a plea for the soldiers to kill it.

Hope still doesn't know if her operation succeeded! Hopefully they'll let her take her bandages off in time for the finale.

"Datu, fix!" So concise, so powerful. If only Michael could learn to convey information as effectively. He did a horrible job of alerting Tanya when he saw that Amy was in the process of turning.

People who mess with Pegs don't fare well. Amy is dead, it looks like Bixby is dead too. That just leaves Scratch.

Chloroform call-back! Micheal is going to make some for CJ, kind of making up for forgetting to do so for Saul.

More deep sleep after close contact with zombies...this time Michael and Burt. Of course they're exhausted, so it could be a coincidence.

I like the plea of mercy theory...It crossed my mind as well, but I would assume they'd try to say something other than die in a plea, perhaps thats why some of us think we heard "alive"....perhaps trying to say "I'm alive, die", as in kill me please.

Also a nice plot point I haven't seen here yet, we mention Dunbar to Michael finally. I think in an effort to keep 'small numbers' we're going to split up a bit once CJ comes too (her idea after michael gives her the intel). Send some people to Dunbar for supplies/guns, maybe a few to a safe house...etc. This is where the mallers come in, there has been mention of them knowing where Dunbar is on their way to the colony, so Scratch and a few are held up there, and as a small team of Pegs, Riley, Burt, and...I'll go with Puck (Michael's watchful eye over pegs) go to Dunbar, they have a run-in with Scratch.

Hoff4D
Aug 26th, 2013, 10:59 AM
Great episode!!!! But too short!!!

Gonna have to give it another listen or ten....the wait until next monday is gonna kill me...this is the first time i'v had to listen to an active season, i started listening at the end of season 3, and just breezed through....this waiting sucks, lol

Welcome to the club buddy....Waiting sucks, but it makes the 15-20 minutes so much more savory

nikvoodoo
Aug 26th, 2013, 10:59 AM
My guess is that Datu has the ability to synthesize large amounts of amphetamines in his body. How can it be possible for him to be constantly running around and fixing things. Wow. Tough little guy. I did not want to sound disrespectful, my dark and evil master. :)

King Datu accepts your apology. :p

UndeadSweeper
Aug 26th, 2013, 11:01 AM
Yea, I just assume after the 'civil war' (if you will), there would've already been at least SOME body pick-up, and we wouldn't have the dead lining the streets, if nothing else, just to make sure none of them are dead from Zeds, and could possibly turn.....This could be circumvented by some quick headshots (with a knife to save ammo), to make sure they aren't turners, but I think the pick would be quite a bit more gruesome if that were the case. I find it highly unlikely to leave bodies strewn about, even in the panic, un-checked.

Maybe the body is former leader of the Maller, in a way the balance of power that the maller had in the colony is gone. And it has shift to the tower's people, or the tower of power. I had to do that. :)

Hoff4D
Aug 26th, 2013, 11:01 AM
Yeah, not a fan of gratuitous violence, or at least showing it. There's something to be said about hearing it vs. seeing it.

I can respect that, just trying to speculate with what we're given vs what things would be changed for the sake of art.

.....so that's a confirmation that there ISNT a SHTF situation within the walls this chapter? :tinfoil:

HardKor
Aug 26th, 2013, 11:03 AM
Damn straight! You mess with Pegs, you gonna DIE! <br />
<br />
But on another note. I was listening to WND last night to get ready for today's episode and now I keep thinking about the conversation about CJ's...

Witch_Doctor
Aug 26th, 2013, 11:03 AM

Maybe Little One #1's "die, die" weren't a threat against them, but rather a plea for the soldiers to kill it. Interesting!

"Datu, fix!" So concise, so powerful. If only Michael could learn to convey information as effectively. He did a horrible job of alerting Tanya when he saw that Amy was in the process of turning. It's what we've all been thinking.

People who mess with Pegs don't fare well. Amy is dead, it looks like Bixby is dead too. That just leaves Scratch. I pity Mr Whiskers for scratching her, now.

Chloroform call-back! Micheal is going to make some for CJ, kind of making up for forgetting to do so for Saul. Dang!!

CBP, you always have insight.

nikvoodoo
Aug 26th, 2013, 11:08 AM
In line with what Hardkor is mentioning about CJ and her new status as a potential mission control: I agree. She was never good in the field, but she's awesome with planning. Knowing officially now that she's about to lose her leg, I'd imagine that as we move forward her demise may come when she decides to leave the confines of mission control when she shouldn't.

Or that she'll be left alone to coordinate via radio and gets messed up where she can't defend herself.

Hoff4D
Aug 26th, 2013, 11:13 AM
In line with what Hardkor is mentioning about CJ and her new status as a potential mission control: I agree. She was never good in the field, but she's awesome with planning. Knowing officially now that she's about to lose her leg, I'd imagine that as we move forward her demise may come when she decides to leave the confines of mission control when she shouldn't.

Or that she'll be left alone to coordinate via radio and gets messed up where she can't defend herself.

Yea, I like this, and think it lines up well with what I said a few posts back:

Also a nice plot point I haven't seen here yet, we mention Dunbar to Michael finally. I think in an effort to keep 'small numbers' we're going to split up a bit once CJ comes too (her idea after michael gives her the intel). Send some people to Dunbar for supplies/guns, maybe a few to a safe house...etc. This is where the mallers come in, there has been mention of them knowing where Dunbar is on their way to the colony, so Scratch and a few are held up there, and as a small team of Pegs, Riley, Burt, and...I'll go with Puck (Michael's watchful eye over pegs) go to Dunbar, they have a run-in with Scratch.

I think CJ will orchestrate the division of people to keep numbers low and under Inks 6th sense radar leading to what I stated above

Hoff4D
Aug 26th, 2013, 11:21 AM
For the lazy (Credit to Liam for updating the wiki with the quickness) Regarding Little Ones: http://www.zombiepodcast.com/forum/showwiki.php?title=Little+Ones

Numbers in the story: (There have been up to #12)

1. In it's dying breath it spoke "Die! Die! DIE!", and then Michael gave it the final bullet - (#37-1) - DEAD*
2. Was on the Chinook crash-side (#33-2) - DEAD*
5. Attacked Lizzy and Bricks - Removed forearm. Attacked Victor at Colony, injected in the eye with drugs, minigunned (Ch 36) - DEAD*
6. Attacked Roman - DEAD* (Wasn't 9, Confirmed by Kc)
8. Attacked Saul at Colony, set on fire by Lizzie, gunned down by minigun (Ch 36) - DEAD*
11. Was part of a second surge of attack against the Colony soon after the first attack in #36 - (#37-1) - DEAD*
12. Attacked the Team in Long Beach. DEAD*

Malador
Aug 26th, 2013, 11:33 AM
I don't think the Mallers will be too keen on Scratch either. She killed their leader and focused on her grudge with the tower folks instead of coordinating a defense, which caused them to lose the colony. I think Michael and company should focus on finding the surviving mallers, to prevent a fresh batch of 10-20 little ones.

LiamKerrington
Aug 26th, 2013, 11:46 AM

Nah. Just Datu the ressourcefull, which is a lot more awesome than any 'puter-gamez ... ;)

nikvoodoo
Aug 26th, 2013, 11:50 AM
God...I almost forgot how much fun this place can be when episodes are churned out. Yay new posts about the story! :) :yay: :D

LiamKerrington
Aug 26th, 2013, 11:50 AM

That was and is my thought about it.
Yes, I can understand why some of you recognize "we're alive" in what the LO says; but to me it is some gargling and burbling during the process of slowly bleeding to death; and then I think I hear it say "die" three times - as a plea to be shot or to stop its pain - time-stamps would be 4:55, 4:57 and 5:01 ...

Because he is not the average German crafstman who takes more time to get a cup of coffee, checking with his tax- and law-clerks, considering three times per hour to call it a day and finally to imagine how bad yesterday's soccer-game was ... ;)

God...I almost forgot how much fun this place can be when episodes are churned out. Yay new posts about the story! :) :yay: :D

Exactly. The whole WA-fandom is on steroids. Threads literally explode ... That's jus awesome.

Hoff4D
Aug 26th, 2013, 12:02 PM
Exactly. The whole WA-fandom is on steroids. Threads literally explode ... That's jus awesome.

It's like as the we're alive universe goes into extinction, we thrive.

LiamKerrington
Aug 26th, 2013, 12:03 PM
Ok.

Some more thoughts, and something different especially.

Haven't payed any attention to the picture yet. But now it seems to support some things mentioned elsewhere on the forum about the title of chapter #37 - Balance of Power.
In this first episode Saul tells Michael about the wounded and gives a brief classification of the people involved - almost any major group within the WA story - the Tower-poeple, the Colonists, the Mallers, and now in addition to that the Irwin-Knights (soldiers, Irwinites ...). And Victor nails it, that some peoplke won't forget easily. So the picture and those first lines about the general situation everyone is in, these things foreshadow the next challenge or conflict the survivors will have to pass.

(edit: Forget this shit within these brackets:Then we have Mallers within the Colony, of which some still may sympathize with /edit)Scratch who is on the loose. What's gonna happen? Will Scratch infiltrate the Colony again; or will there be some sabotages? With a gate that needs fixing or a Colony that needs to be fortified again there is just another conflict-line, right?

Michael speaks about eh helicopter, which needs to be put down for now, 'cause the survivors need to take care of fuel and ressources for it. What will happen with this bird of prey? Will it be sabotaged in a vital moment? Or accidentally damaged during an inner-Colony-territory-conflict?

Now we know that the Little Ones are not only Superman #1 through #12 within the ranks of the zombies; now we actually know that besides having an excellent predatory behaviour these monsters are smart as well - learning some words within those few moneths ... It is pretty likely that the Smart Ones and/ or Ink did a terrifying job ...

Ok ... Some more thoughts may follow later on ...

Best wishes!
Liam

P.S.: Glad, that the community is still alive after this long break.

scbubba
Aug 26th, 2013, 12:03 PM

Ok, did anyone else sing WD's nursery rhyme in their head as they read it? Huh, just me? Ok...... O_o

YetAnotherBloodyCheek
Aug 26th, 2013, 12:05 PM
Because he is not the average German crafstman who takes more time to get a cup of coffee, checking with his tax- and law-clerks, considering three times per hour to call it a day and finally to imagine how bad yesterday's soccer-game was ... ;)

It is called football, Liam. Not soccer. :D But - you are probably right. Datu seems to be capable of mending the colony's wall segments by his own craftsmanship's will power.

LiamKerrington
Aug 26th, 2013, 12:08 PM
Ah, and one more thing:

Puck is awesome!

nikvoodoo
Aug 26th, 2013, 12:22 PM
Liam mentioned mallers left over: Do we know there are Mallers left over? Yes, there was a division between Durai guys and Scratch..uh...sociopaths...but would any of them remained behind? I'm pretty sure the colonists would certainly know the Mallers by now having been enslaved for months.

scbubba
Aug 26th, 2013, 12:24 PM
Wow! Finally got to listen to the episode after an agonizing couple of hours waiting for a meeting to end.

Awesome beginning! Love the action and the hunting. I did keep expecting Puck and Co to get in a bad situation the way he was saying "I can't change side fast enough". Glad Puck made it.... he's growing on me.

Speaking Little One?!?!?! Oh man. Gotta wrap my head around that one. Also need to listen a few times with the good headphones to see if I can make out what it says before the final "Die!"

Amy, Amy, Amy. Karma is a bitch but Tanya is a nice person. I was thinking how all the other patients in the infirmary would react if they heard someone crying out in pain and then Michael walked up and made her gobble a bullet. Definitely would not have won him any friends in the Colony.

I'm torn about CJ. Half of me says she's gonna have horrific leg amputation surgery (that will make the autopsy scene seem like a nice picnic) and then become Colonel CJ: Human Mastermind. The other half says that she will have horrific leg amputation surgery (see above) and then die on the table. Michael will get the blame because of the homemade chloroform. This will drive him nuts blaming himself and it will also drive a wedge between him and most of the Colonists/Mallers still around. This will cause Michael and a few of Our Heroes to depart the Colony and head for Dunbar to plan an offensive on their own. The left-behind Colonists will eventually be attacked again and a few of our friends will make it out alive to reunite with Michaels crew....

Ok, that went from episode to story theory in a hurry. I'll have to look for a good theory place to drop all that now.

Great start to Season 4 and great way to bring us all back home!

Thanks Kc and crew!

EpiEpee
Aug 26th, 2013, 12:30 PM
This seems like a smart way the planning and execution could be set up, and keep CJ in the story which would be excellent. <br />
<br />
Did anyone else notice how protective Saul seems of CJ now? Not wanting...

LiamKerrington
Aug 26th, 2013, 12:30 PM
Hello.

Liam mentioned mallers left over: Do we know there are Mallers left over? Yes, there was a division between Durai guys and Scratch..uh...sociopaths...but would any of them remained behind? I'm pretty sure the colonists would certainly know the Mallers by now having been enslaved for months.

I'm sorry. Misunderstanding on my side. They spoke about the Mallers who brought ressources with them, but left without it. 10:07 Burt speaks about having checked any corner of the Colony; and the only remaining Mallers were dead bodies. So forget my theory about the Mallers being involved in foreshadowing-theory ... Sorry.

Thanks, Nik.

nikvoodoo
Aug 26th, 2013, 12:38 PM
Hello.

I'm sorry. Misunderstanding on my side. They spoke about the Mallers who brought ressources with them, but left without it. 10:07 Burt speaks about having checked any corner of the Colony; and the only remaining Mallers were dead bodies. So forget my theory about the Mallers being involved in foreshadowing-theory ... Sorry.

Thanks, Nik.

I'm not necessarily poo pooing. Burt could have missed some in the sweep (though I do somewhat doubt that). I just think they'd have a hard time blending into the new arrangement at the colony. Mallers are still coming back, I just don't know when.

HardKor
Aug 26th, 2013, 12:39 PM

Yeah the Mallers are definitely gone from the Colony. And I'm willing to wager that they may be gone, as a faction, completely. There were only about 20 or so at the Colony right? Then they split into Durai vs Scratch factions and started killing each other. THEN they had to fight off the Colonists that CJ, Saul, and Victor armed. I'm thinking the Mallers are history. It's just Scratch now, maybe with Tardust as a lackey.

Litmaster
Aug 26th, 2013, 01:02 PM
[As usual, this Lit-Treatise is sectioned and color-coded for easy skimming and perusal]

Aaaaaaaand We're Back!
So great to finally have a new episode to look forward to every Monday! I've missed the flurry of activity that inevitably follows every drop. And THANK YOU Kc and the Sunshine Band for creating that great app-- I had my episode downloaded on my phone like an hour before 12pm (EST). That is definitely the best way to get new episodes!

About the Length
A few people bitching in this thread about the episode being too short. Guys-- the episodes are always about 20 minutes long, except for a season finale. You should know that each 20 minute episode takes dozens of hours to produce. You want a longer episode? Then donate a few hundred grand to Kc so he can quit his job and work on this shit full time!

The Hunting Party
I thought it was interesting that the characters seem to have gone on the offensive so soon after the attack by Ink & Randy. Seems to me that this opening 'hunt' scene only takes place a couple of hours after the events of the previous episode. I was expecting a slower period of planning and information sharing, but this apparently hasn't happened yet. Speaking of that....

"Little Ones"?
I don't remember anyone from Irwin or Boulder using that term to refer to our grisly clawed fiends. In fact, none of them even saw them when they were 'little'. So how was it that term was used several times by the members of the hunting party? Little plot hole there, or have I missed the bit about when that name would have been adopted?

'Walkie Talkies'
The fact that 'Little One' #1 speaks brings up again the Intergenerational Zombification Theory of Successive Dilutional Transpondence: you know, the idea that if Ink has, say 100 pts worth of 'Intelligent Linguistic Bad-Assedness', then those whom he directly infects and turns will become zombies of 90 pts worth of 'ILBA', and then any infected by these '2nd generation' Zeds will be 70-80 pts, and by the '4th generation' will be down to 50 pts of ILBA', etc. This could explain why the weirdest and most powerful Zeds are found in close proximity to the L.A. 'hot spot', with weaker and more pussified versions found further out.

Burt's Hurt
He'll be fine. Just a little nap and a tuna sandwich and my man will be as right as rain. :cool:

Imbalance of Power
Mike's impeccable social skills were yet again on display, what with his "Datu! Fix!" and sundry assholinesses (and yes, I just invented that word). He automatically assumes command, which Vic pointed out may not sit right with the locals who remember his antics back on his first visit. In particular, I am looking forward to the impending power struggle between Michael and CJ when/if she recovers from her amputation surgery. It is going to be really entertaining watching him have to kowtow to this 'young Asian girl' who isn't going to take one bit of his shit! CJ is sure to become the brains of this operation, and any final answers about the plan to defeat Ink & Co. will invariably come from her. Michael will have to get his ass kicked a few times before he finally realizes that.

Zed Amy
Several of you (Nick, Cabbage Patch) have already alluded to the fact that Amy's Zed scratch and subsequent death is bad karma for her turncloak treatment of Pegs back on their first Colony visit (remember how she locked Pegs in her house right before the Marcus coup?). Payback is a bitch... bitch!

What Next?
Well, since there was no time jump, I expect that the next immediate order of business is to chop of CJ's leg and have some disagreement & grumbling about Michael assuming command. Then there will be more of the same once CJ awakens and sees how the running of this place has been far below her standards. I DON'T think we will be heading back to Dunbar up in LA until CJ gives her content and an attack plan has been formulated, so I think we'll be staying at the Colony for the rest of this chapter, at least. It's also possible that a forward attack team could head up to LA, while the rest of the group stays put in the Colony (Lizzy is going to need someplace to deliver that baby, after all).

That's all I got! Peace!!

Merlin1274
Aug 26th, 2013, 01:07 PM
Man... I want More.. Now... It was awesome.. I hate the CJ will have to loose the leg.. I am not sure she will deal with it well.
Will be an interesting next 2wks waiting for this chapter to play out.. Wish this episode would have been longer..

Grognaurd
Aug 26th, 2013, 01:19 PM
Crow

Listening to WND Season 3Finale' a caller spoke about Hearing Crows with Scratch. I have not had he chance to follow up on it to see if crows do correlate with Scratch or if it is random background.

I liked the concept. Giving the importance of the opening a new season, what do we hear? A CROW! I have called what KC does as painting with sound and voice. I cannot help but "see" Scratch skulking away from the colony, plotting revenge.

Did you all dig any deeper on that concept?

There is SO much in the back ground sound we take for granted or do not even notice. One example I posted years ago, when Burt is being confronted Michael after Lizzy is kicked out of the tower, we hear him shake out a couple of his pills. We do not even hear a specific about pills until he is with Saul at the Air Port.

nikvoodoo
Aug 26th, 2013, 01:25 PM
@Litmaster: I'm pretty sure Little One's was used at Irwin, and if not it's easy to give them that nickname quickly. In fact...I'm pretty sure the term was used when they had their brief pow wow in 36 just before electing to go on the offensive.

I'm saying this without having the luxury of going back to investigate properly. Either someone can take the step, or maybe I'll find time later to confirm.

MrRedBeard
Aug 26th, 2013, 01:31 PM
Burt's Hurt
He'll be fine. Just a little nap and a tuna sandwich and my man will be as right as rain. :cool:

Haha yea he's not going down easy but when he does I'm betting he will go out in the craziest Burt fashion possible.

Grognaurd
Aug 26th, 2013, 01:38 PM
[As usual, this Lit-Treatise is sectioned and color-coded for easy skimming and perusal]

"Little Ones"?
I don't remember anyone from Irwin or Boulder using that term to refer to our grisly clawed fiends. In fact, none of them even saw them when they were 'little'. So how was it that term was used several times by the members of the hunting party? Little plot hole there, or have I missed the bit about when that name would have been adopted

That's all I got! Peace!!

I am ok, they have to have a name. The soldiers will pick up the jargon. They are like six and a half feet tall. I chucked, because it is the classic calling the bald guy Curly or the fat dude slim

Litmaster
Aug 26th, 2013, 01:46 PM
Ok, did anyone else sing WD's nursery rhyme in their head as they read it?

No. I sang it out loud as I read it. This aroused some suspicion among my coworkers, but FUCK 'EM! IT'S MONDAY AGAIN, BABY, AND
WEEEEERE BAAAAAACK ALIIIIIIIIVE!!
WHOOOOOO HOOOOOO!!!!

Nathan.Luiz
Aug 26th, 2013, 02:19 PM
"Little Ones"?
I don't remember anyone from Irwin or Boulder using that term to refer to our grisly clawed fiends. In fact, none of them even saw them when they were 'little'. So how was it that term was used several times by the members of the hunting party? Little plot hole there, or have I missed the bit about when that name would have been adopted

I would assume that when Michael first arrived he described the "Little Ones" as such as part of sorting out intelligence. This was, of course, while they were still little. Thus the soldiers would've adopted this name for them, and when they turned up this name would've stuck.

Kc
Aug 26th, 2013, 02:30 PM
"Little Ones"?
I don't remember anyone from Irwin or Boulder using that term to refer to our grisly clawed fiends. In fact, none of them even saw them when they were 'little'. So how was it that term was used several times by the members of the hunting party? Little plot hole there, or have I missed the bit about when that name would have been adopted?

Saul - "Lizzy said it, sticking to it" -
But seriously, everyone did talk and share some information for a while before the 2nd wave came in. It just caught on after they explained it further. It's something inferred-

*disappears back into the lurking state.

Litmaster
Aug 26th, 2013, 02:34 PM
Saul - "Lizzy said it, sticking to it" -
But seriously, everyone did talk and share some information for a while before the 2nd wave came in. It just caught on after they explained it further. It's something inferred-

*disappears back into the lurking state.

Heh, heh..... GOTCHA!

http://bwmedia.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/plot-hole.jpg?w=560

...but seriously, no big deal.

Kc
Aug 26th, 2013, 02:37 PM
Heh, heh..... GOTCHA!

...but seriously, no big deal.

Just as a side note, it's a safe assumption that a lot of information is going to be shared between teams now. There's a little hint of that in the next episode, done playfully.

Litmaster
Aug 26th, 2013, 02:39 PM
Just as a side note, it's a safe assumption that a lot of information is going to be shared between teams now. There's a little hint of that in the next episode, done playfully.

Well, you need some kind of expedient way to bridge the information gap between requisite parties (Saul/Vic/CJ, Colonites, Irwinites, etc.) that have been each info-gathering for several months apart from each other.

I suppose a 20 minute scene where all the character just re-cap what has happened to them and all they learned would be pretty friggin' boring...

Witch_Doctor
Aug 26th, 2013, 02:54 PM

I just hope that she does something else in the story other than screaming like a banshee. Don't get me wrong, artistically, Candice Parng does and amazing job of screaming (Bone Chilling) But, please, a season of " Arrghhh!!! " will be worse than week-long waiting.

Arch_Will
Aug 26th, 2013, 03:02 PM
Is noone else thinking of this for CJ?

I hope to see Puck taking a more of a centre stage role, his character is very likeable and i dont think the colonists will have too much of an issue with Michael seeing as he's returned with a chopper full of military support.

I also agree with everyone's conclusion that CJ will lead from operational point of view whereas Michael will be the boots on the ground quick thinker that is needed for an all out offensive

Litmaster
Aug 26th, 2013, 03:07 PM
I just hope that she does something else in the story other than screaming like a banshee. Don't get me wrong, artistically, Candice Parng does and amazing job of screaming

Ooooh, yes. Screaming. And grunting. And squealing.... the squealing.... mind.... going back.... to that knife-fight with Scratch.... those sweaty bodies... grunting with the effort.... blades glistening.... mmmmmmm...

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/163/d/f/Homer_Simpson_Render_by_RENTaMAN.png

Cabbage Patch
Aug 26th, 2013, 03:23 PM
Podcasts, like nature, seem to abhor a vacuum. Lt. Angel Tenudo checked out of the story last season. Now it looks like his replacement has reported for duty...Warrant Officer Greg Muldoon.

Let's see:
• Officer...check
• Not a dynamic leader...check
• Smart, brave and competent at his job...check
• Willing to take direction from junior ranks...check

Once again we see the senior Army officer on the scene letting Michael, a buck sergeant, take the lead. Hell, he'll let Robbins, a Specialist 4, tell him what to do. If Muldoon develops a hopeless infatuation with Riley the circle will be complete.

thisonegirl
Aug 26th, 2013, 03:30 PM
Is noone else thinking of this for CJ?

I hope to see Puck taking a more of a centre stage role, his character is very likeable and i dont think the colonists will have too much of an issue with Michael seeing as he's returned with a chopper full of military support.

Can't say that I had, although the CJ/Cherry Darling bit did make me lol, I think it just seems way too far-fetched for this story.

Also, I learned to like Puck, but I thought I heard at the end of Season 2 Scratch say something about "when Puck gets back to us"? So I'm still waiting for that to flesh out, though I'll be the first to admit I have terrible hearing and I might have heard terribly, terribly wrong. Otherwise, I would like to hear more about/from him.

nikvoodoo
Aug 26th, 2013, 03:36 PM
Can't say that I had, although the CJ/Cherry Darling bit did make me lol, I think it just seems way too far-fetched for this story.

Also, I learned to like Puck, but I thought I heard at the end of Season 2 Scratch say something about "when Puck gets back to us"? So I'm still waiting for that to flesh out, though I'll be the first to admit I have terrible hearing and I might have heard terribly, terribly wrong. Otherwise, I would like to hear more about/from him.

Two different Pucks. Maller Puck earned his nickname because he played ice hockey. Milatary Puck is actually named Puck.

thisonegirl
Aug 26th, 2013, 03:38 PM
Knowing officially now that she's about to lose her leg, I'd imagine that as we move forward her demise may come when she decides to leave the confines of mission control when she shouldn't.

If she were to have a demise I think that would be the reason why. Maybe especially if it's to defend or impress Saul. Just because he found Lizzie doesn't mean CJ is over him.

pmchawk
Aug 26th, 2013, 03:39 PM
I thought KC resolved the Puck thing in an interview. Maller "Puck" is a nickname, military "Puck" his actual name.

Puck is starting to seem cocky to me. Being cocky in a lot of situations is bad. After this part I fear for Puck. I think he's gone by chapter 43 (midpoint).

thisonegirl
Aug 26th, 2013, 03:42 PM
Two different Pucks. Maller Puck earned his nickname because he played ice hockey. Milatary Puck is actually named Puck.

Aaaaah, gotcha! Thanks

Witch_Doctor
Aug 26th, 2013, 03:53 PM
@Litmaster: I'm pretty sure Little One's was used at Irwin, and if not it's easy to give them that nickname quickly. In fact...I'm pretty sure the term was used when they had their brief pow wow in 36 just before electing to go on the offensive.

I'm saying this without having the luxury of going back to investigate properly. Either someone can take the step, or maybe I'll find time later to confirm.

Black Number and Numbered Ones

Witch_Doctor
Aug 26th, 2013, 04:01 PM
"Little Ones"?

Burt's Hurt

I'm with the others, that the soldiers picked this term up from Saul and Victor. BUT Amy did call her attacker a Skinny One (Remember Captain Long's Recon Team?)

LOL for the tuna sandwich reference. Hopefully they don't have to save that sandwich for CJ's leg amputation.

Kc
Aug 26th, 2013, 04:05 PM
I thought KC resolved the Puck thing in an interview. Maller "Puck" is a nickname, military "Puck" his actual name.

I have regretted that name mixup for a while now. Eventually I may go back and change the name of the Hockey-Loving Maller. Mallers never went by their real names... so maybe I'll call him Sticks instead.

Witch_Doctor
Aug 26th, 2013, 04:13 PM
I have regretted that name mixup for a while now. Eventually I may go back and change the name of the Hockey-Loving Maller. Mallers never went by their real names... so maybe I'll call him Sticks instead.

But wouldn't people just confuse him with Sticks McGee from the tower?

Grognaurd
Aug 26th, 2013, 04:25 PM

I hope for a clue reference. Col. Mustard in the library with the lead pipe, lol

pmchawk
Aug 26th, 2013, 04:25 PM
But wouldn't people just confuse him with Sticks McGee from the tower?

Or maybe people think he is a fan of the band.

scbubba
Aug 26th, 2013, 04:51 PM
Listened again on the drive home. Gotta say that I LOVE the transition of "on the radio" voice to "in person" voice to denote a change of perspective. I picked up 2 specifically in the opening hunt scene. One was Michael and then later I think Puck. What an excellent device to shift the scene in the listeners mind. Awesome!

Really noticed the crow the 2nd time. Didn't think of Scratch until Arthur LaMarche mentioned it a few pages back. Hmmm....

2nd listen I think I heard "Die" twice from the Little One. Just stretched out into a few agonized syllables the first time. Could be wrong - I am getting old....

awkwardalex
Aug 26th, 2013, 04:57 PM
*surfaces and totally acts like shes been active since the break*

anyone else kind of love the idea of Tanya leaving Michael alone for a minute and coming back to him trying to kill a patient?

oh michael.

Nathan.Luiz
Aug 26th, 2013, 04:58 PM
Second listen - I don't hear the "we're alive" from #1. I hear "diiiiiiie, diiie". Sorry people....

Grognaurd
Aug 26th, 2013, 05:23 PM
*surfaces and totally acts like shes been active since the break*

anyone else kind of love the idea of Tanya leaving Michael alone for a minute and coming back to him trying to kill a patient?

oh michael.

/cheer

Alizée
Aug 26th, 2013, 05:45 PM
Just finished it! Gah I can't wait for next week!
Only one thing was confusing me though...through the entire opening scene I couldn't figure out who was with Puck. They said his name's Carl. Is he Shovel Face or am I forgetting someone?
So happy to have WA back!
:yay: :yay: :yay: :yay:

Nathan.Luiz
Aug 26th, 2013, 05:47 PM
Only one thing was confusing me though...through the entire opening scene I couldn't figure out who was with Puck. They said his name's Carl. Is he Shovel Face or am I forgetting someone?
Carl is a soldier from Irwin

Litmaster
Aug 26th, 2013, 05:50 PM

Answered you in the other thread. Carl Thomas. Check it out.

werewolf
Aug 26th, 2013, 05:52 PM

shovel face was Bixby one of the colonist that was with gate keeper.

Alizée
Aug 26th, 2013, 05:53 PM
But his opening does make me wonder, is the eps pic a post first wave attack or of something big coming?

And the missing title message opening, I thought KC was messing with us and have going have a cawing crow for the entire length of the mp3.

At the beginning Michael explains that they were hit in three waves ... but when he's describing the injured in the hospital he says "Some from the first wave, some from the second". I think that the third wave has yet to happen!

Alizée
Aug 26th, 2013, 05:57 PM
To everyone who helped with the Carl thing - Thank you! Lol! I completely forgot about him. I was so confused. "Why is Shovel Face so familiar with Puck?!" Conspiracy?????????? :P

Duffusmonkey
Aug 26th, 2013, 06:18 PM

How about Check, Body Check, Gretzky or if he has an ego he could go as The Great One

Duffusmonkey
Aug 26th, 2013, 06:19 PM
The zombie says "We're Alive"

http://podcastnerd.com/Zombies_Alive.mp3

Alizée
Aug 26th, 2013, 06:35 PM
I just listened again and I for sure heard "Die ... die ...."
That's why Michael says, "Yeah, you first."
I'll check that link through.

werewolf
Aug 26th, 2013, 06:47 PM
anybody notice that Amy got better than what she deserved?
Amy was the one that handed Micheal a shovel to knock out Bixby, then later she turn on Pegs and locked her in her house in the safe room.
Amy didn't suffered enough in the end. Tanya gave an easy way out, before turning.

Alizée
Aug 26th, 2013, 06:58 PM
Amy was the one that handed Micheal a shovel to knock out Bixby, then later she turn on Pegs and locked her in her house in the safe room.
Amy didn't suffered enough in the end. Tanya gave an easy way out, before turning.

SHIT! I love you guys! I completely forgot that Amy had history in this show!
I have my apprehensions about how it was done. Would a lethal injection be enough to kill someone who's already turning? I don't believe it's been done yet in the show. I just have this horrible feeling that she isn't actually dead and that she's going to throw the Colony into chaos when she wakes up...

Cabbage Patch
Aug 26th, 2013, 07:14 PM
...Would a lethal injection be enough to kill someone who's already turning? I don't believe it's been done yet in the show.

We saw something like it in Chapter 36. Remember the one-armed Little One that was attacking Victor? Victor used the suicide syringe that Saul gave him to inject the Little One in the eye, which contributed to killing it, and may have done the job all by itself.

Pillars
Aug 26th, 2013, 07:26 PM
I wonder if Michael will give more attention to the medicine(s) administerd to Amy and Little One #5 as a possible way to develop a weapon. Though I don't know what's more rare the medicine(s) or .50 cal rounds.

But then again if a 5.56 round can barely penetrate their skin any type of needle would be near impossible to work with.

Alizée
Aug 26th, 2013, 07:44 PM
*throws hands up in the air*
I've listened to the entire series at least twice but damn, am I ever rusty. There's all sorts of details I'm forgetting.
I call for a third listen-through! This time I'm going to take the advice of KC(?), mentioned in WND 54 and listen very closely to the sounds the zombies make.

Witch_Doctor
Aug 26th, 2013, 08:16 PM
Second listen - I don't hear the "we're alive" from #1. I hear "diiiiiiie, diiie". Sorry people....

I think I'm highly suggestible for hearing "we're alive". Still sounds a little like 'Alive' or "Di-ie"

Witch_Doctor
Aug 26th, 2013, 08:21 PM

Wow, Now THAT'S some serious Monkey Business!!! I think I heard it too.

If anyone thinks Duffus is being a bad monkey, then spank him.

CitizenSoldier
Aug 26th, 2013, 08:27 PM
What was up with the recording? There usually is some sortve music or something in between sections not dead silence...thought ipod died for a second i was like nooooo haha

CitizenSoldier
Aug 26th, 2013, 08:31 PM
About the 10 th listen through now the zombie i hear say die so micheal in turn says yeah, you first

Malador
Aug 26th, 2013, 09:51 PM
I think in his experience at the tower and at Irwin with Kimmet, Michael will have learned to share control. I think that all of the personnel from Irwin will follow Michael, and he will become the de facto military leader. If CJ lives she will serve as the head of day to day operations of the colony as well as a strategist for any big undertakings. I also see Datu and Glen being able to keep most things ship shape with their combined efforts.

As for my vote on #1's chat, it sounds to me like "die, *stuttered* die, DIE"

MrRedBeard
Aug 26th, 2013, 10:01 PM
I played with the audio a bit. See if this helps http://werealive.mickred.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2013/08/Number1AliveDie.mp3

Malador
Aug 26th, 2013, 10:03 PM
Well, it seems pretty clear to me now that it's "Die Die Die" :D

Osiris
Aug 26th, 2013, 10:03 PM
Sounds like "Smiiiiiiiiiiile."

DaTank
Aug 26th, 2013, 10:05 PM
Have to listen it again...

MrRedBeard
Aug 26th, 2013, 10:06 PM

Bahahaha yes he just wants everyone happy.

awkwardalex
Aug 26th, 2013, 10:28 PM

Yes Amy is the one who handed him the shovel and then said, "My names Amy, remeber me."

Looks like Michael didn't. I agree when I figured out she was bit I was like, "A buh bye!"

OldtypeM87
Aug 26th, 2013, 11:02 PM

Ive could've sworn it sounded like he was "alive for pie"

Side note, anyone think that Burt is close to biting the big one from what happened to/with him in this chapter from Michael's account?

clem131
Aug 26th, 2013, 11:25 PM
Finally We're Alive is back!
Loved the first action scene and the transitions. Montage seems a bit off in some instances. For example when the gate is opening there is a voice from a Scooby Doo cartoon in the background saying something which I can't understand.
I am a bit concerned by the fact that the "and this is now" line is not there, AND no one mentioned it. This plus the change in music really helps in setting this season apart.

Alizée
Aug 26th, 2013, 11:31 PM

LAUGHING MY ASS OFF!! +1 Rep for you! AHAHAHA

LiamKerrington
Aug 27th, 2013, 12:49 AM

I am not certain, because I do not recognize the "we're" in it.
But I think it could be both; still I stick with "die, die , die" ...

*throws hands up in the air*
I've listened to the entire series at least twice but damn, am I ever rusty. There's all sorts of details I'm forgetting.
I call for a third listen-through! This time I'm going to take the advice of KC(?), mentioned in WND 54 and listen very closely to the sounds the zombies make.

The show is full of it. It is rich of a lot of details - important clues and hints as well as sweet red herrings ... That adds a lot of value to it and makes relistening to it so nice.

I played with the audio a bit. See if this helps http://werealive.mickred.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2013/08/Number1AliveDie.mp3

Yeah, the second "item" seems to have a mumbled 'L' in it. So there it comes from, the "alive" story. Maybe it says "die, alive , die", but certainly not "we're alive", 'cause there is no such thing as "we're" in its small speech ... I stick with "die, die, die" ...

scbubba
Aug 27th, 2013, 03:50 AM
I'm with Liam on the Little One's words. I think i might hear 2 syllables in the second sound it makes. So, at best, I could stretch it to "die... alive... die!" But I'm thinking it was more like "die.... die.... die!" with the speech pattern causing a little pause in the second "die".

Either way, I definitely don't get "we're alive" from it. YMMV

What I did notice was Michael saying "We were stronger now. What we faced here couldn't compared with what we left behind in Boulder or Fort Irwin. Or so we thought." More of that ominous foreshadowing....

But quotes like that keep me thinking that we are still reading from Michael's journals instead of being "present" in real time.

Litmaster
Aug 27th, 2013, 04:10 AM

That's funny... if you listen REALLY closely, I believe you can hear him say, "Litmaster Rules!" :cool:

Grognaurd
Aug 27th, 2013, 04:17 AM
I have only listened twice and I have not tried really hard, so I will stick with my first impression

I... Alive... Die...

LiamKerrington
Aug 27th, 2013, 04:26 AM
That's funny... if you listen REALLY closely, I believe you can hear him say, "Litmaster Rules!" :cool:

Now that I have washed my ears I hear it, too ...

I have only listened twice and I have not tried really hard, so I will stick with my first impression

I... Alive... Die...

Keep repeating it, and I will start believing it myself. :D No, seriously: I think this is possible. The magic in this particular moment of #37-1 is that it not only does it tell us about Little Ones being capable of speech, but also that it is blurred enough that we discuss it and draw different and good conclusions. And that's, by the way, the reason why I changed the entry on the Wiki-Article about Little Ones accordingly ... In version 1 I quoted the Little One sayin' "Die, die, DIE!", and now this entry is gone, because things are not as clear as I have believed in the first place.

Best wishes!
Liam

Litmaster
Aug 27th, 2013, 04:27 AM

Ive could've sworn it sounded like he was "alive for pie"

I am not certain, because I do not recognize the "we're" in it.
But I think it could be both; still I stick with "die, die , die" ...

Ok, we have to nip this in the bud. After careful research, I believe the Zed said one of the following:

"Hi, tough guy"
"Wanna try some apple pie?"
"You're lucky you can drive!"
"Hey, wanna get high?"
"I'm breaking out in hives!"
"What is that, tie dye?" (in ref. to the ABU's)
"You wouldn't believe my sex drive!"
"I've got a glass eye!"
"This attack took a nose dive..."
"What are you, a wise guy?"
"I'm having problems with my hard drive."
"I'd kill for a french fry"
"Long live Versailles!" (maybe he was a French Zed!)
"O.K.... who wants potatoes with chives?"

LiamKerrington
Aug 27th, 2013, 04:30 AM
Ok, we have to nip this in the bud. After careful research, I believe the Zed said one of the following:

"Hi, tough guy"
"Hey, wanna get high?"
"I've got a glass eye!"

"I like French Fries."

thisonegirl
Aug 27th, 2013, 04:34 AM

Oh, boy that's hard to tell even after listening a few times.

So what I did was downloaded your link and cleaned it up a little and amplified it, sounds like "Die, (a)live, die" to me. The word "die" does seem to be there, but it might be because of what Victor says before he shoots the zed.

Arch_Will
Aug 27th, 2013, 06:12 AM
it could well be, "check out this Tieeeeeee" a little one taking fashion tips from stripey suit guy

UndeadSweeper
Aug 27th, 2013, 07:29 AM
Sigh... I forgot about about the Live Eps effect. A new eps is out and I have to read through 10 pages of posts. Guys, I have sleep from time to time.

scbubba
Aug 27th, 2013, 07:31 AM
Sigh... I forgot about about the Live Eps effect. A new eps is out and I have to read through 10 pages of posts. Guys, I have sleep from time to time.

Pffftt! You'll get all the sleep you need when you're dead... Unless you become undead. Then your tired ass will just have to run around looking for people to eat!

Th3_T3ch
Aug 27th, 2013, 09:07 AM
Wow I have my life interrupt forum posting for one day and this happens. 17 pages later, so CJ's not done yet. That's what I believe anyway. She's way too vital to the story (and Kc if you kill her off just to spite me I will be very sad, especially since I'm still reeling from the Kalani thing), she knows where all of the safe houses are and is the only who knows the combo to the safe back in dunbar's library.
Burt will eventually get his retribution. He has to. I still have problems listening to that torture scene, so he will most likely be the one to kill Scratch (eventually).
As for the cover art, I don't think the colony will be standing much longer, and if it does, Saul won't leave. He will make Lizzie stay and he will stay to protect her. The art could be what people are thinking (a disagreement between soldiers and colonists, or another wave of them).

Unrelated things that have been stirring in my brain since my latest re-listen. (1) Michael calls them zombies in chptr 36. Does this mean we can officially classify We're Alive as a zombie story? (2) the CJ/Saul/Lizzie issue will definitely cause some tension most likely leading to CJ telling Saul to leave with Lizzie. (3 and most hilariously) Kc you need to make this happen, seriously. Saul, Victor, Puck, and Muldoon in the same conversation/mission.

HardKor
Aug 27th, 2013, 09:19 AM
I am a bit concerned by the fact that the "and this is now" line is not there, AND no one mentioned it.

Oh wow. I totally didn't catch that the first time through. I'm not sure that the mission "This is now" part matters much though. It's pretty much implied. I guess if you really wanted to analyze it to death, (that is what we do here after all) you could say that at first Michael didn't fear death, then the outbreak started and he found something to fear, but now he's moved past being afraid and is ready to fight back.
I think it's the tone of his voice that's the most important thing though. He sounds angry and fed up. He's ready to stop running and fight back.

MrRedBeard
Aug 27th, 2013, 09:56 AM
Yes Amy is the one who handed him the shovel and then said, "My names Amy, remeber me."

Looks like Michael didn't. I agree when I figured out she was bit I was like, "A buh bye!"

Oh crap I totally forgot about that.

Bakkie-Pleur
Aug 27th, 2013, 10:00 AM
Pheww came home from work, and had about 20/30 forum pages to read.. I just love reading all these speculations on whats going to happen. Good thing Puck is back in this season, on of the best new characters from last season.

Altough Datu is kinda funny, I do hope he aint get used mainly for adding some funny scenes to the story, he deserves more!

YetAnotherBloodyCheek
Aug 27th, 2013, 10:18 AM
Just my two cents, but the title "Balance of power" also describes pretty well that Ink - besides his very efficient zombie forces strategic megalomanical resource micro management - has been not only defeated but severely crippled regarding his troops. I guess that we will not see him again soon.

However who is this soldier lying around on the cover art of the episode?

scbubba
Aug 27th, 2013, 10:48 AM

My gut tells me it's Private Carl (and I have a very impressive gut).....

UndeadSweeper
Aug 27th, 2013, 10:50 AM
My gut tells me it's Private Carl (and I have a very impressive gut).....

I thought it was the former leader of the Maller. The blood seem to be coming from his gut.....

MrRedBeard
Aug 27th, 2013, 10:52 AM
I thought it was the former leader of the Maller. The blood seem to be coming from his gut.....

Except the guy on the cover art appears to be in uniform.

Footbutt
Aug 27th, 2013, 10:55 AM
I am a bit concerned by the fact that the "and this is now" line is not there, AND no one mentioned it. This plus the change in music really helps in setting this season apart.

so "This is now."

as in, this is where he starts "going over it back from the beginning" or something?

or maybe it's just a 'fill in the blank' line for all of us that finished his catchphrase.

either way, i'm pumped for this season!

UndeadSweeper
Aug 27th, 2013, 11:06 AM
Except the guy on the cover art appears to be in uniform.

I was that think too, but I don't remember if we ever got a description of him. In my mind, I thought of him as a guy who would still be wearing a prison uniform as a badge of honor.

Bullethead
Aug 27th, 2013, 11:08 AM

I brought this up in the We're Not Dead #55 thread, does anyone think it possible that this zombie was saying We're Alive in part because he could have recognized Michael from the Tower, the Tower had the Banner draped across it for some time didn't it?

Just an idea I had as I am highly against the notion that there is any human life form left in them things.

YetAnotherBloodyCheek
Aug 27th, 2013, 11:36 AM
... but... but... I like Carl. He cannot die, scbubba!

pmchawk
Aug 27th, 2013, 12:19 PM

I'm betting on Micheal. Looks like the same guy in chapter 29 cover art. Perhaps something goes wrong with the chloroform.

On a separate unerelates note. Auto correct on my phone just tried to write perhaps as "Earth apes".

Robzombie
Aug 27th, 2013, 12:58 PM
I love how Blaire reads the openeing sponsor for Audible.com . "...more books than you can get through in your first lifetime."

uh...in your FIRST lifetime! Lol, Buddhism much Blaire? haha I loved it.

Arch_Will
Aug 27th, 2013, 01:02 PM
I love how Blaire reads the openeing sponsor for Audible.com . "...more books than you can get through in your first lifetime."

uh...in your FIRST lifetime! Lol, Buddhism much Blaire? haha I loved it.

or... "Earth apes" (@pmchawk) she could be implying that once you're bitten and you turn that you then download more books from audible to wile away your afterlife once TOWTM has had his use of you.

UndeadSweeper
Aug 27th, 2013, 01:26 PM
or... "Earth apes" (@pmchawk) she could be implying that once you're bitten and you turn that you then download more books from audible to wile away your afterlife once TOWTM has had his use of you.

Great, now I think that ADLO #1 was said "Audible" all along......

IamPaul
Aug 27th, 2013, 01:40 PM
YES!! So glad to have you back, new and fresh in my ear holes. Is there something to Michael not finishing his intro: 'That was then,' would normally end with 'And this is now'. Has the whole series been Michael's journal recap? I guess since the Chapter last season where he pieces together Saul's story after seeing the Blackhawk land in LA. I love the new classical version on the intro song too. And who exactly is face down in the cover art? I was thinking Michael. Could be puck though too. Especially as cocky as he is shooting from the truck. And the little one basically giving them the big Fuck You before Michael shot it in the head. SO excited for the coming story. Just so happy right now. (Breaks down in tears)

MrRedBeard
Aug 27th, 2013, 03:27 PM
Is there something to Michael not finishing his intro: 'That was then,' would normally end with 'And this is now'. Has the whole series been Michael's journal recap?

I was wondering what was up with that too. I found myself finishing his line because I don't link things to be incomplete. Then I started wondering if the person reading the journal in the future was re-capping that line in emotion.

IamPaul
Aug 27th, 2013, 04:41 PM
I was wondering what was up with that too. I found myself finishing his line because I don't link things to be incomplete. Then I started wondering if the person reading the journal in the future was re-capping that line in emotion.

I did the same thing. Also going to check out your podcast. Always like podcasts outside of the "Group". I listen to multiple Breaking Bad podcasts and Doctor Who and Walking Dead as well.

MrRedBeard
Aug 27th, 2013, 05:01 PM
Thanks

AtomicHamster
Aug 27th, 2013, 05:22 PM
Great beginning to the season! the episode started with my single favorite line from the whole show.
Michael Cross saying "I never feared death or what lay beyond if today was my day but that was then........"
Awesome!!!!!!!
I got goose bumps in my tingly places!

The Mighty AtomicHamster is greatly impressed!

Witch_Doctor
Aug 27th, 2013, 06:38 PM
I'm with Liam on the Little One's words. I think i might hear 2 syllables in the second sound it makes. So, at best, I could stretch it to "die... alive... die!" But I'm thinking it was more like "die.... die.... die!" with the speech pattern causing a little pause in the second "die".

Either way, I definitely don't get "we're alive" from it. YMMV

What I did notice was Michael saying "We were stronger now. What we faced here couldn't compared with what we left behind in Boulder or Fort Irwin. Or so we thought." More of that ominous foreshadowing....

But quotes like that keep me thinking that we are still reading from Michael's journals instead of being "present" in real time.

I think it foreshadow the Game changing idea that the Little Ones might be trying to intentionally infect humans as opposed to using them as food. Micheal & Co. seem to e on the verge of discovering this.

Regarding Amy's infection, I predict that the method of transmission will now become a critical topic for the survivors. They are right on the cusp of realizing that bites and blood exposure are not the only way that the INKLINGS can infect. Remember that Amy kept insisting that she wasn't bitten. I doubt that she was simply trying to hide her contact with a Zombie because she could have just as easily said that she was cut in a fall. She, somewhat, sounds convinced that she couldn't even have been infected by the scratch. On top of that, Micheal questions Tanya about what she knew of Amy's injury. He sounds dubious to the idea that a scratch, alone, could explain her turning.

Gonna admit that I missed reading that the Inklings' self inflicted wounds were used to 'poison' their nails like blowgun darts tipped with tree-frog butt-juice, but clem131 is onto something big. This is evidence of a game changer. The purpose of the Inklings is to spread the specialized infection. Sorry NikVoodoo, but here's your much maligned FrankenZombie.

Anyone catch Micheal's foreshadowing comment? "...but we were stronger now. What we faced here couldn't compare to what we left behind in Bolder or Fort Irwin; or so we thought." Yeah, right now they think that the 5 remaining Little Ones (Tanya is keeping score) are easier to deal with than 150K but Mike is foreshadowing that the SHTF later. Zombie Tag, anyone?

Witch_Doctor
Aug 27th, 2013, 07:04 PM

"Hi, tough guy"
"Hey, wanna get high?"
"I've got a glass eye!"

Funny as monkey-flung pooh. Also, perfect commentary on the debate over what the thing said. As for myself, I find myself agreeing with everything someone posts about what #1 says.
"Oh, you think it's reciting the lyrics to 'Bye Bye Miss American Pie?' Yeah, I think I heard that too!!!" It's a good thing nobody is on trial for murder, and we're the witnesses.
If you ask me, I think #1 was voiced by the same actor who did the voice for Bossk in Empire Strikes Back. I swear when Admiral Piett says, "We don't need their scum." Boskk replies, "Let's fool around." 2651

No worries, this is not the first, and will not be the last time dialogue will stump listeners. Hear are some of my favorite miss-hears for your hard-of-hearing pleasure:

Michael: Tanya, you ok?
Tanya: Michael, thank God, you’re here.
Michael: Tanya, show me.
Tanya: I can explain, if you just listen to me. I know how the whole thing started, how to immunise ourselves against it and how to save the whole of humankind, if you’ll just listen to me for a second.
Michael: Let me see.
Also, when asked where Tanya was bitten, Puck says ‘Forum’. This is a dangerous place.

Forearm = forum

Sorry if its been asked and answered already, I have absolutely no time to read all previous posts...
I'm relistening to the story and have made it to Chapter 26 again and remembered that I always wanted to ask about a peice of dialogue and what was said exactly. Corporal Puck is talking to the gang about showers and changing into PT's, then at time 5:43 says something which always sounds to me like... "I've worked the ketchup on and she made me get behind" wft????
Can someone please let me know what he is really saying here? A rep for an answer, thanks.

I have work to catch up on. = I've worked the ketchup on.

There were some tantalizing clues to the overall situation in this story. Some observations:

• Big Macs at the mess hall? That speaks to a pretty robust supply situation. Either there's a supply of fresh beef available along with wheat, vegetables, etc. (via Boulder?), or there are frozen stores that are still viable. Both seem like good signs this far into the zombie apocalypse. My first thought when I heard the title "Red Winter" was that it could mean the survivors might face starvation, but this makes me think they might be better off than that.

Cabbage Patch later edited his post, but he heard Puck say, "Baked Mac & cheese" as "Big Mac & cheese"

wh33t
Aug 27th, 2013, 08:16 PM
So stoked for WA to be back! Great episode!

Red Shirt
Aug 27th, 2013, 09:58 PM
Cheese & Rice people, dang. Like Nik, I forgot what this place can be like when their are fresh episodes to talk about. I should have known better than to slack off on new episode night...

Agreed. I listened to the YAP podcast Apocalypse series and I think you mentioned it yourself Kc, about Jaws being scarier because you didn't see the shark. What the imagination of the viewer/listener fills in on its own is often far more terrifying.

The mercy theory seems to be gaining some traction... I think the best guess for what it was (trying) to say was "Why am I alive, let me die."

About the Length
A few people bitching in this thread about the episode being too short. Guys-- the episodes are always about 20 minutes long, except for a season finale. You should know that each 20 minute episode takes dozens of hours to produce. You want a longer episode? Then donate a few hundred grand to Kc so he can quit his job and work on this shit full time!

Should I happen to win that obscenely large lotto ticket... Wayland Productions is at the top of my list.

Podcasts, like nature, seem to abhor a vacuum. Lt. Angel Tenudo checked out of the story last season. Now it looks like his replacement has reported for duty...Warrant Officer Greg Muldoon.

There has been some discussion of the meaning behind the name "Balance of Power" for the newest chapter. Namely, who is the leader now, Michael or CJ? But with the introduction of Chief Muldoon into the newly expanded survivor group, we might have a potential contender. A Warrant Officer is an Officer after all. However, Warrant Officers tend to be a bit laid back and "stay in their lane", as do aviators. I would suggest that Muldoon, as a warrant and an aviator may actually have no interest in leadership. I have also considered there may also be a fourth possibility... A civilian leader to lead the colony while the military personnel use it as a base of operations.

pmchawk
Aug 27th, 2013, 10:35 PM
Cabbage Patch later edited his post, but he heard Puck say, "Baked Mac & cheese" as "Big Mac & cheese"

Wait, what? That makes so much more sense. I could never figure out why Puck was talking about a Big Mac having bread crumbs on top.

sailorangel59
Aug 28th, 2013, 12:05 AM

This exchange made me think Datu has gone from Datu the Resourceful to Datu the Macgyver of trained dogs. It was just such a weird almost degrading command for Michael to Bark (that was intentional). It still made me laugh.

sailorangel59
Aug 28th, 2013, 12:11 AM
Can I just say, I missed saying "Fuck you KC" or "No, don't leave it there" when I heard the closing music to indicate the end of the part of an episode. It is great to have the show back, cliffhangers and all.

LiamKerrington
Aug 28th, 2013, 01:10 AM
Hallo.

Can I just say, I missed saying "Fuck you KC" or "No, don't leave it there" when I heard the closing music to indicate the end of the part of an episode. It is great to have the show back, cliffhangers and all.

Datu says things like this in front of people he does not like. Do you remember his struggles with Burt?
The short of the "dialogue" between Michael and Datu reveals how well both of them work together with 100% trust between them. But it would have been nice to hear a little more of Datu the ressourceful ...

Best wishes!
Liam

Alizée
Aug 28th, 2013, 04:04 AM
Bless all the Puck misquotes! Lmao! I don't know if it's because of what I'm writing or because of what I do for a living (taxi dispatcher) but I've never had a problem understanding him...EXCEPT for the "Baked Mac and Cheese/Big Mac" thing.
The ketchup one though, oh my god LOL

scbubba
Aug 28th, 2013, 04:50 AM
Bless all the Puck misquotes! Lmao! I don't know if it's because of what I'm writing or because of what I do for a living (taxi dispatcher) but I've never had a problem understanding him...EXCEPT for the "Baked Mac and Cheese/Big Mac" thing.
The ketchup one though, oh my god LOL

Love listening to Puck in the show. His "New Brook Jersey" (New Jersey & Brooklyn) accent makes some of the lines so much fun. Also, he has some of the best swagger lines in the recent episodes: "What was that? What was that again? I couldn't hear you over my AWESOMENESS!" :D

UndeadSweeper
Aug 28th, 2013, 07:29 AM
Why can't Balance of Power also be the Mallers and Kemel lose of power? If you think about it, there were 5 points of power. Mallers, Tower, Colony, Army and Ink. Colony fell, then Army and now Maller. Right now the balance is between Ink and the Tower. Who win will control LA. I don't think it a power struggle among those in colony but instead for who now controls this war.

LiamKerrington
Aug 28th, 2013, 08:16 AM
Why can't Balance of Power also be the Mallers and Kemel lose of power? If you think about it, there were 5 points of power. Mallers, Tower, Colony, Army and Ink. Colony fell, then Army and now Maller. Right now the balance is between Ink and the Tower. Who win will control LA. I don't think it a power struggle among those in colony but instead for who now controls this war.

That's an interesting way to look at it - a stalemate between the survivors and them zombos ...

MrRedBeard
Aug 28th, 2013, 10:31 AM

I was thinking that too. The title doesn't just lend its self to only 2 sides, there will be many that want to rule.

Hoff4D
Aug 28th, 2013, 10:48 AM

I... Alive... Die...

That was my first impression as well

nikvoodoo
Aug 28th, 2013, 11:01 AM
http://wilrees.com/artwork/nationaltreasure2_files/collage_lb_image_page4_0_1.jpg

Kinda like this...the Balance "Trap" from National Treasure 2.

Hoff4D
Aug 28th, 2013, 11:23 AM
...Has the whole series been Michael's journal recap? I guess since the Chapter last season where he pieces together Saul's story after seeing the Blackhawk land in LA...

I think we've maintained that the whole series is told through EVERYones journal, not just Michael's. However, it could be Michael reading through them all, so Michael's take on everyone elses take I guess. But I think you're wrong on the "piece together Saul's story", when Michael said it was pieced together, I think he was only referencing the goings-ons within helicopter, and when we jumped to saul's perspective it wasn't Michael's piecing Sauls, it was actually saul's account, since he's alive up to this point.

Arkum
Aug 28th, 2013, 05:07 PM
I like the idea of CJ as Oracle (For the Batman fans) she has a great tactical mind and I feel she can become an extremely big help to the group. I'd love to see what she does with all the info in Tawnya's notebooks.

Osiris
Aug 28th, 2013, 06:14 PM
http://wilrees.com/artwork/nationaltreasure2_files/collage_lb_image_page4_0_1.jpg

Kinda like this...the Balance "Trap" from National Treasure 2.

They made two?!

fridginators
Aug 28th, 2013, 11:35 PM
Look I've never been quite convinced of the "michael's telling this all retrospectively". I certainly think it's possible - likely even, given how much KC plays with tenses - after all, who says "we were stronger now" - but there's no real evidence for it.

People always reference "Saul was a good soldier" in s1 without remembering the contextualisation that Michael was explaining that despite that he hasn't been promoted, due to his insubordination. What I mean is that yes you could also make some case for a double reading, but there is very little evidence for it, and all it is is a hunch.

Certainly there is some element of retrospectivity - that's how it's been structured from day one. And yeah I think Michael will conclude it at the end writing at least SOMETHING down. But a lot of this I think was written on the run, more or less a day after most of these events happened.

So: I am prepared to admit that the starting entry of season 4 can be an end of season 4 retrospective - michael's dying or alone or whatever. But I firmly believe that the original comments in s1 are more or less contemporary with their events.

Ofc KC's always been ambiguous at best, letting us play these mind games with each other before finally revealing how it plays out - we're supposed to have these arguments, that's how he's written it. I can't wait to find out what happens, if Michael fears death or not, if it does come to him, and how these journals pan out.

As a side note - Burt still needs to write down what happened in Chapter 23-24. Perhaps the fact it's five months later is why he was so "blah blah blah"ish and forgetful in Ch23? Who knows, not sure if KC thought that far ahead but not surprised if he did!

Storm
Aug 29th, 2013, 02:06 AM
Wonderful to finally have my favorite audio drama back! :D
Nice intro, though I must say I kinda liked the piano version better. This is more sinister though... I guess. :)

Regarding the words the inkling spoke... I always heard it as "Die, die, die." I love the "Why (am I) alive, (let me) die!" theory quite a lot, though. Can't remember if that was mentioned in this topic or the one about WND55, or both... I keep confusing them. Hehe.a
What seemed a little odd to me was the missing "and this is now" in the beginning - looking forward to find out what that means...
BTW, anyone minding quickly explaining the piece of art for the chapter? My lack of sight kinda stops me from seeing it myself. :D

Best regards
Storm

shachero
Aug 29th, 2013, 03:48 AM
when is the next episode? are they coming out every week...I've always waited and bought them from Audible.com, so I'm a newbie to this part of it.

Storm
Aug 29th, 2013, 04:10 AM
when is the next episode? are they coming out every week...I've always waited and bought them from Audible.com, so I'm a newbie to this part of it.
Well, they usually tell you that in the end of the file. :)
Episodes are released every monday, unless the one week break between each chapter... At least this is how it usually is, the breaks can be longer around holidays... I think. I started listening at chapter 30, so haven't followed the podcast for that long. :D

fridginators
Aug 29th, 2013, 04:50 AM
3 episodes a month, occasional breaks for holidays or when schedules get too busy/the WA team is reppin at some award thing. As each chapter has three parts this generally means 3 weeks for each chapter before a weeks break. I believe the finale, chapter 48, will be a livestream non-stop episode again.

Witch_Doctor
Aug 29th, 2013, 07:31 AM
I think I'm gonna retire my belief that I heard the Inkling say "Alive." Unless it is mimicking Victor saying "alive" and Saul saying "blood" (On of the unintelligible utterances) then why would it want to express that it was alive. Did it wake up one morning and say, "Ah Crap! I'm a zombie now. But hey, I'M STILL ALIVE!! I've got to tell people that I'm not a George R. Romero Living Dead-Zombie but a 28 Days Later enraged cannibal. Hey, you there! Say, pal, I know y'all are freaking out about this whole zombie business, and believe me I would too, but this is all a big misunderstanding. See, I'm still aliv.... Chomp"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtV3N9zRrJs

Kc
Aug 29th, 2013, 09:34 AM
As a side note - Burt still needs to write down what happened in Chapter 23-24. Perhaps the fact it's five months later is why he was so "blah blah blah"ish and forgetful in Ch23? Who knows, not sure if KC thought that far ahead but not surprised if he did!

I'm not sure what you're referring to- what section?

Grognaurd
Aug 29th, 2013, 10:10 AM
I'm not sure what you're referring to- what section?

It's journal theory that narration in voice is actual written text from the person's journal. We hear Burt go into narration prior to the tower collapse. Up until 37-1 he has not had time to write in his journal.

Grognaurd
Aug 29th, 2013, 10:12 AM
Oh, for sections I think he means Kalani being a hero... He narrates a couple other times after that

Crap, not being a hero, but being in dangerous spots I think. Kalani starts yammering and Burt goes into narration

23- 1 ~ 3:30

Bullethead
Aug 29th, 2013, 10:51 AM
I got a question.

At 8:02, where there is a little bit of discussion about leaving the bodies out front, its not going anywhere, etc.

How did that lead to Puck saying "they got rules here"? I'm just a little confused at why there was a bit of dialogue about the big stink of leaving ADLO bodies out front.

Hoff4D
Aug 29th, 2013, 10:55 AM
I think it's sort of a comment about Ft. Irwin.... almost like saying &quot;They're just as bad here&quot;, since Ft. Irwin didn't allow them to bring anything in to investigate as well. <br />
<br />
I mentioned this in...

Kc
Aug 29th, 2013, 11:34 AM
It's journal theory that narration in voice is actual written text from the person's journal. We hear Burt go into narration prior to the tower collapse. Up until 37-1 he has not had time to write in his journal.

Oh! Gotcha- Well, he can catch up now that's he's in the hospital, if he has some time. Those portions read are in fact on paper at some point.

Grognaurd
Aug 29th, 2013, 11:44 AM
Oh! Gotcha- Well, he can catch up now that's he's in the hospital, if he has some time. Those portions read are in fact on paper at some point.

I think it is an awesome style, but it does provide a very powerful tell for those that can decode. Other purists may call it an internal spoiler.

But, I call it GENIUS! Once someone has listened through the story, they can go back and play the KC Code and ascribe deeper meaning to fragments and sound effects

nikvoodoo
Aug 29th, 2013, 11:45 AM
I got a question.

At 8:02, where there is a little bit of discussion about leaving the bodies out front, its not going anywhere, etc.

How did that lead to Puck saying "they got rules here"? I'm just a little confused at why there was a bit of dialogue about the big stink of leaving ADLO bodies out front.

Colony members would have stuck to the rules established by Marcus and Gatekeeper. Nothing infected comes within the walls. That's why there was that sarcastic underdone to Puck's line. He was doing what Michael asked him, the colonists were doing what has kept them safe.

trubkir
Aug 29th, 2013, 11:58 AM
Listened to the Season 4 first episode 3 times so far. It is a great episode and the "Search and Destroy" of the little ones at the beginning is awesome. Robbins will need to be more accurate as the gun he uses isn't very "fuel efficient" with respect to ammunition. Puck has improved in his accuracy with the .50 cal but my question is how the hell did the hunting party get outside the gates and not have Riley? If CJ survives the upcoming amputation will KC have a passing mention of the Drop Kick Murphy's song Sailing up to Boston and/or will we have to start calling Pegs by a different name?

Arch_Will
Aug 29th, 2013, 02:45 PM
Listened to the Season 4 first episode 3 times so far. It is a great episode and the "Search and Destroy" of the little ones at the beginning is awesome. Robbins will need to be more accurate as the gun he uses isn't very "fuel efficient" with respect to ammunition. Puck has improved in his accuracy with the .50 cal but my question is how the hell did the hunting party get outside the gates and not have Riley? If CJ survives the upcoming amputation will KC have a passing mention of the Drop Kick Murphy's song Sailing up to Boston and/or will we have to start calling Pegs by a different name?

Riley is probably off in the Park/farm fields with a bottle of Jack Daniels singing and pining for the loss of Angel.

Bullethead
Aug 30th, 2013, 08:49 AM
If CJ survives the upcoming amputation will KC have a passing mention of the Drop Kick Murphy's song Sailing up to Boston and/or will we have to start calling Pegs by a different name?

*Shipping up to Boston, but LOL is it too soon to make peg leg jokes? I mean she hasn't even lost it yet haha!

MrRedBeard
Aug 30th, 2013, 09:07 AM
Colony members would have stuck to the rules established by Marcus and Gatekeeper. Nothing infected comes within the walls. That's why there was that sarcastic underdone to Puck's line. He was doing what Michael asked him, the colonists were doing what has kept them safe.

That's a good point. I was trying come up with a reason and kept coming up shy. I was trying to make it too complicated. The simplest answer is usually the right one.

Grognaurd
Aug 30th, 2013, 12:31 PM
Amy got some comeuppance. I wonder if karmic score will be settled this season.

Whose lying on the ground in the artwork?

KC really had me going when Tonya went to grab the bottle to inject Amy. When she calmed down, I thought, "The anti-biotic couldn't possibly work that fast." Took me a while to realized that she was euthanized. Interesting that she said the same thing as the turning soldier at the Chinook crash sight, and Fernando as he was turning. "It hurts" Tommy didn't mention pain but he and Amy were the longest to be coherent before turning. I was hoping she would have given some insight as to what was going on in her mind.

Was Amy being truthful when she said that she was only scratched by the Inkling? Someone mentioned in another thread that they (Inklings) might not have to infect by biting their victims but scratching is sufficient.

Did anyone else hear the Inkling say "we're alive"?

Tommy
Owe stop hurting me! Maybe not as painful to go to a regular ol zombie as it is to go to 2.0

Grognaurd
Aug 30th, 2013, 12:49 PM

Cross Check is a nice violent sounding name for a convict.

Hoff4D
Aug 30th, 2013, 12:55 PM
Tommy
Owe stop hurting me! Maybe not as painful to go to a regular ol zombie as it is to go to 2.0

I'm standing by my post about the autopsy of a little one. Little ones have normal eyes, Normals have cloudy eyes. Michael notes Amy's eyes going cloudy. She DOES say a 'skinny one' scratched her, so we assume it's a little one that attacked her...but if she's turning into a normal based on the eyes....it had to be a normal, right? Or *crackpot theory ahead*...Scratches from Inklings make normals? Bites from Inklings make ADLOs? so...its the Inkling drool that contains the zombie steroid virus!

Original Post here: http://www.zombiepodcast.com/forum/showthread.php?4714-Wnd-55&p=62891&viewfull=1#post62891

Grognaurd
Aug 30th, 2013, 12:56 PM
At the beginning Michael explains that they were hit in three waves ... but when he's describing the injured in the hospital he says "Some from the first wave, some from the second". I think that the third wave has yet to happen!

He also says something like stronger than before, or so we thought... Lots of people sleeping right through CJ's screaming. Just sayin'...

Alizée
Aug 30th, 2013, 02:02 PM
To Kc: Thank you so much for being interactive with your listeners. It means so much to me to come on this forum and see your clear up confusions and respond to the questions we have. You rock!
And I am just awe-struck by how fantastic your writing is. Can't wait for Monday!

Bakkie-Pleur
Aug 30th, 2013, 04:29 PM
To Kc: Thank you so much for being interactive with your listeners. It means so much to me to come on this forum and see your clear up confusions and respond to the questions we have. You rock!
And I am just awe-struck by how fantastic your writing is. Can't wait for Monday!

Or KC is playing evil puppeteer again, giving us information what we think clears up confusion only get more confused because us die hard fans are obsessed with plot theories, resulting in KC bursting out in a evil laugh behind his computer and telling the cast members the next day how he fooled us again....

Mm now im confusing myself.. See he is doing it again ;)

Alizée
Aug 30th, 2013, 05:19 PM
Or KC is playing evil puppeteer again, giving us information what we think clears up confusion only get more confused because us die hard fans are obsessed with plot theories, resulting in KC bursting out in a evil laugh behind his computer and telling the cast members the next day how he fooled us again....

Mm now im confusing myself.. See he is doing it again ;)

Ik zou dit geloven lmao

Raystonn
Aug 30th, 2013, 07:30 PM
Am I the only one to notice that those are unfired rounds on the ground in the episode's picture? Fired brass from used ammunition doesn't have the tapered tip on the front. It's just a hollow cylinder open on the front end.

MrRedBeard
Aug 30th, 2013, 10:08 PM
Am I the only one to notice that those are unfired rounds on the ground in the episode's picture? Fired brass from used ammunition doesn't have the tapered tip on the front. It's just a hollow cylinder open on the front end.

Not every caliber is tapered but for the ones that are, the taper doesn't go away when the round is fired. Those are spent rounds.

Storm
Aug 31st, 2013, 07:09 AM
I keep wondering what the sound in the background at 11:14 is, when Michael helps Burt to get to the hospital... Sounds like a child or something, not sure if it's crying or laughing, though... Anyone else noticed this?

Grognaurd
Aug 31st, 2013, 07:29 AM
Haven't checked. I remeber hearing squeals as they try to force the gate shut after bending it on the Beheometh. Could that be it? It would be right about the Datu Fix! Line

MrRedBeard
Aug 31st, 2013, 07:56 AM
I keep wondering what the sound in the background at 11:14 is, when Michael helps Burt to get to the hospital... Sounds like a child or something, not sure if it's crying or laughing, though... Anyone else noticed this?

It maybe noise of the gate moving while Datu is fixing it as Art pointed out. Here is the noise isolated with human vocal frequencies removed (http://werealive.mickred.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2013/08/11-14Noise.mp3). Note that the zombie voices are still in the human vocal range so it's neither of those.

Storm
Aug 31st, 2013, 08:06 AM
It maybe noise of the gate moving while Datu is fixing it as Art pointed out. Here is the noise isolated with human vocal frequencies removed (http://werealive.mickred.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2013/08/11-14Noise.mp3). Note that the zombie voices are still in the human vocal range so it's neither of those.

Yeah, probably the gate. :) Just a bit weird we haven't heard it before that... Maybe Datu spent a few minutes examining the gate before fixing it... Heh.

MrRedBeard
Aug 31st, 2013, 08:10 AM
With all the talk of Datu being the magic fix for everything in mind - it's the sound of Datu's xp leveling up.

Bakkie-Pleur
Aug 31st, 2013, 11:52 AM
How do you actualy remove that? What program do you use for it?

MrRedBeard
Aug 31st, 2013, 12:56 PM
How do you actualy remove that? What program do you use for it?

Audacity and the plugin pack. You select the section of audio and apply the desired effect. I use the vocals remover and low/high pass filters for focusing on a specific sound.

clem131
Sep 1st, 2013, 11:05 PM
It took me a while but I think the squeals by the gate is actually Datu saying PPPUUUUSSSSHHHH in a silly Scooby Doo voice -_-

Witch_Doctor
Sep 3rd, 2013, 07:18 PM

At first I read this as forum leader and thought, 'Oh poor NikVoodoo.'

Witch_Doctor
Sep 3rd, 2013, 07:22 PM
*Shipping up to Boston, but LOL is it too soon to make peg leg jokes? I mean she hasn't even lost it yet haha!

Maybe he can lean on Pegs for support.