PDA

View Full Version : From the START

cycogod
Jan 24th, 2011, 02:57 PM
It's Micheal reliving or telling the story. make's me think he's gonna live through all this...what's in the colony!? Very cool plot line---

StepLaugh
Jan 24th, 2011, 03:10 PM
I feel like he's telling the story, I feel like he's reading all the journals.

Skynet
Jan 24th, 2011, 04:32 PM
It's Micheal reliving or telling the story. make's me think he's gonna live through all this...what's in the colony!? Very cool plot line---

I had also wondered this. Makes me think that Michael will always live throughout the whole series of events and never be killed off. That is to say that it has all taken place and is now being entirely read through journals, etc. as the poster above me said.

Kc
Jan 24th, 2011, 04:37 PM
I had also wondered this. Makes me think that Michael will always live throughout the whole series of events and never be killed off. That is to say that it has all taken place and is now being entirely read through journals, etc. as the poster above me said.
To be honest... it could be anyone reading the journals. Possibly even someone you haven't met yet. Remember, Samantha's note was read after she had died.

StepLaugh
Jan 24th, 2011, 05:00 PM
To be honest... it could be anyone reading the journals. Possibly even someone you haven't met yet. Remember, Samantha's note was read after she had died.

That's true (of course it is) haha.

Because Micheal isnt narrating the whole time, sometimes you'll have Pegs, Burt, etc.

hardrocknguy
Jan 24th, 2011, 08:17 PM

That's what I think it is. Someone else reading what Michael, Pegs and everyone else wrote in there. Although I really hope that Michael, along with the rest of the main cast, lives through out the story.

fraggot
Jan 24th, 2011, 09:20 PM
I feel like he's somewhere safe or fears something bad is happening and reading back everything that has happened to lead up to it. Maybe he's recording all of the thoughts with an audio recording device or telling his tale.

NoReality95
Jan 29th, 2011, 06:07 PM
I feel that either a unseen character is reading all of this after Z-day or Micheal is with the others somewhere and they're trying to find a clue in their journals still, like in the beginning of the series.

Onslaught
Jan 30th, 2011, 01:01 PM
Well since I've been waiting for the next episode to come out, (tomorrow thank god), I've been going through the episodes and listening to them again, I think Michael is telling the story, as if its already happened. I mean he says 'It all started...' and he never says anything like, 'and that's what has happened so far...' or something like that. So unless the writers are playing with us then I think that Michael has already passed the point of what he's telling, and is at the point of what is happening. I don't know, I have no answers for any of the questions that I do have.

mascaria
Jan 30th, 2011, 05:41 PM
Well since I've been waiting for the next episode to come out, (tomorrow thank god), I've been going through the episodes and listening to them again, I think Michael is telling the story, as if its already happened. I mean he says 'It all started...' and he never says anything like, 'and that's what has happened so far...' or something like that. So unless the writers are playing with us then I think that Michael has already passed the point of what he's telling, and is at the point of what is happening. I don't know, I have no answers for any of the questions that I do have.

I agree... to a point. At the beginning of the story, with it was solely Michael's narrative it was a recapping of events that had happened up to a point. To what point? The point when he told others to start keeping a log. After that it feels to me that we're listening to parts of the story in real time and parts as journal entries retelling things that have happened.

Hollomandious
Jan 30th, 2011, 08:20 PM
I agree... to a point. At the beginning of the story, with it was solely Michael's narrative it was a recapping of events that had happened up to a point. To what point? The point when he told others to start keeping a log. After that it feels to me that we're listening to parts of the story in real time and parts as journal entries retelling things that have happened.

i'm with you on this one.

but there are moments, where the characters still foreshadow, which they really couldn't do if it was in a live mode. Saul says it just after they leave with the fuel tanker, and riley does it just before the start of the road to living death. so...

Brooke Steele
Jan 31st, 2011, 05:11 PM
i'm with you on this one.

but there are moments, where the characters still foreshadow, which they really couldn't do if it was in a live mode. Saul says it just after they leave with the fuel tanker, and riley does it just before the start of the road to living death. so...

This is the only thing that keeps me sane - knowing that the narrator didn't die during the episode they are telling. I am no longer allowing myself to drive or operate heavy machinery when listening.

StepLaugh
Feb 2nd, 2011, 05:33 AM
I think that the person or persons reading this is after "z-day" they were cleaning up the city and they found all the journals. And this is what they all wrote.

Have we not heard a main character narrate an episode yet? If not then maybe their journal was never found.

Onslaught
Feb 2nd, 2011, 08:11 AM
Makes sense, but Hollo is also right, the characters do foreshadow although they haven't been doing it in the last few episodes. So I think the characters are still narrating the story which has already happened.

Kc
Feb 2nd, 2011, 08:17 AM
Makes sense, but Hollo is also right, the characters do foreshadow although they haven't been doing it in the last few episodes. So I think the characters are still narrating the story which has already happened.

You're both right. It depends on when the Character caught up on their journals. It gets a little complicated in that area, but it's all about the perception at the time of writing. Saul caught up on his journals much later in those Chapters, same as Riley.

Onslaught
Feb 2nd, 2011, 08:20 AM
You're both right. It depends on when the Character caught up on their journals. It gets a little complicated in that area, but it's all about the perception at the time of writing. Saul caught up on his journals much later in those Chapters, same as Riley.
So your saying that in some chapters the narrator is writing what happened down while in other chapters the narrator is writing down whats happening. Right?

Kc
Feb 2nd, 2011, 09:11 AM
So your saying that in some chapters the narrator is writing what happened down while in other chapters the narrator is writing down whats happening. Right?
In chapter 5 Saul gave some hindsight to what was going to happen next. In the timeline he caught up on his journal at the end of Chapter 6. So Chapter 5 was told from his perspective as it already happened.
In other chapters the writing of the journal can be much more present, as if they write in it every day or they'll physically be writing it in the scene like in Chapter 10 with Datu.

Onslaught
Feb 2nd, 2011, 09:32 AM
In chapter 5 Saul gave some hindsight to what was going to happen next. In the timeline he caught up on his journal at the end of Chapter 6. So Chapter 5 was told from his perspective as it already happened.
In other chapters the writing of the journal can be much more present, as if they write in it every day or they'll physically be writing it in the scene like in Chapter 10 with Datu.
So the perspective can change pretty easily especially if the person interrupts in the middle of their story and begins to narrate what is happening. But I don't think that this gives us any useful information on whether or not they're looking back at the entire story though. Because either way someone could be reading it or they could be telling it. Each has equal possibility.

Kc
Feb 2nd, 2011, 09:57 AM
All the narration you hear is JUST from the Journals. If a character dies before they can write it down in the journals, you won't be able to hear their narration.
With that perspective the entire story could told after it's already occurred.

Onslaught
Feb 2nd, 2011, 03:12 PM
All the narration you hear is JUST from the Journals. If a character dies before they can write it down in the journals, you won't be able to hear their narration.
With that perspective the entire story could told after it's already occurred.
So its possible then, since there has been no foreshadowing in the last few episodes I think, that some or maybe even all of the characters are or could be dead? Even if there was foreshadowing and they wrote it down they could still be dead. Man. . . I just bummed myself out.

fairyfartz
Apr 26th, 2011, 10:46 AM
So its possible then, since there has been no foreshadowing in the last few episodes I think, that some or maybe even all of the characters are or could be dead? Even if there was foreshadowing and they wrote it down they could still be dead. Man. . . I just bummed myself out.

But the fun is finding that out. If they are still alive and reading throught them at a later date and afer place, or if the journals were found by others and are reading them to find out a little about what happened. There are so many possibilities.....

Snickelsox
May 3rd, 2011, 08:26 PM
The real narrator must be Michael and Pegs' son reading what happened to his parents through the journals as he is raised by Datu and Riley.

clarkie
May 10th, 2011, 03:27 PM
In relation to the journals (not sure if this has been mentioned before), in Chapter 1 Michael says "Saul WAS a great soldier", suggesting that he dies at some point before Michael was reading/writing that.

Osiris
May 10th, 2011, 03:29 PM
Aw crap. This was not something I had considered until now. Makes me rethink how all of this may end. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Osiris
May 10th, 2011, 03:31 PM
In relation to the journals (not sure if this has been mentioned before), in Chapter 1 Michael says "Saul WAS a great soldier", suggesting that he dies at some point before Michael was reading/writing that.

Perhaps a reference to neither of them being on active duty overseas?