PDA

View Full Version : Fundraising Poll-

Kc
Aug 2nd, 2013, 03:26 PM
SO, we're looking at some various possibilities to raise some funds for season 4. My question to you is, what sorts of things would YOU as fans want?

We might do auction-style like we did before, or we might even do a kickstarter or indie-go-go sort of thing. Any and all ideas are welcome, but the more reasonable the better.

Where does the money go? To pay the actors, editors, recording studio fees, music licenses and recordings... that's pretty much it. We'll have more items in the store soon and everyone's donations help, but production costs have increased more with every season to the degree that this might be a requirement to keep offering the show for free. In the past I have been against any crowd funding, but this season that's looking to possibly change.

TL;DR: Show's expensive to make, we wanna keep it free, so we're looking at options to raise a few extra $'s to keep us from going deep into the red. If we did a fundraiser, WHAT sort of things would you want?

We'll sort through what's feasible and start making some decisions.

turbo
Aug 2nd, 2013, 03:50 PM
I would think items autographed by the cast would be good auction items, maybe auction past scripts more too. Seems the auction for a character on the show brought in some big bucks.

As for a kick-starter, that might be tough since you really are started already, but I definitely would think listeners would jump on that.

Maybe some rotating banners on the site, advertise to the listeners. Only make the ads purchased by the members on the forum?

Have some more unique items in the store. Add some vehicle vinyls, or zombie kits that have items used on the show.

Just a few thoughts for you!

Osiris
Aug 2nd, 2013, 04:46 PM
A kickstarter might actually work. Lots of films get to that final phase where they do kickstarters to finish the flick. I know lots of docs that pop up with "Hey, we need your help to get prints done so we can get this fucker in theatres" or "Hey, we need money to finish editing! Help us out and in exchange we'll send a hooker to your house after the release date"

The fine print is that it's one hooker visiting EVERY person that donates. Ugh.

Try kickstarting the fuck out of it.

P.S. I have no money to send you.

Front Street

Monster mani
Aug 2nd, 2013, 04:49 PM
Musical episode!! Intact Scratch and Burt doing there own take on the following would work quiet well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kmv3WlKa6U8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

YetAnotherBloodyCheek
Aug 3rd, 2013, 01:44 AM
If it is allowed to pose this question, what sum of money will it approximately need to end season 4 no so deep red fiscally?

nikvoodoo
Aug 3rd, 2013, 06:52 AM
I like the idea of the auctioned role again.

If possible signed 11x17 artwork signed by the cast/crew

The logistics of this might be hard, but what if you auctioned off airfare (I'd imagine continental us/Canada may be the limit) for the chapter 48 event next year. Obviously you'd have to start that bid up high but I'm sure there's a dedicated fan who would buy that. Perhaps some other swag from the event itself.

Kc
Aug 3rd, 2013, 08:49 AM
If it is allowed to pose this question, what sum of money will it approximately need to end season 4 no so deep red fiscally?

About 15k.

I like the idea of the auctioned role again.

If possible signed 11x17 artwork signed by the cast/crew

The logistics of this might be hard, but what if you auctioned off airfare (I'd imagine continental us/Canada may be the limit) for the chapter 48 event next year. Obviously you'd have to start that bid up high but I'm sure there's a dedicated fan who would buy that. Perhaps some other swag from the event itself.

That's not a bad idea. The problem is with airfair costs we might not profit that much...

YetAnotherBloodyCheek
Aug 3rd, 2013, 10:17 AM
About 15k.

Wow, that is a significant amount of money.

nikvoodoo
Aug 3rd, 2013, 10:29 AM
That's not a bad idea. The problem is with airfair costs we might not profit that much...

That's why I wasn't sure how well it would work. It would be cool though. I'm working out the logistics of getting out there myself already.

Duffusmonkey
Aug 3rd, 2013, 10:57 AM
How about a premium membership to Were Alive. As a paying member you could listen to the podcast a few days earlier. Have access to a separate stream for live events that won't crash.

I would also pay for customized audio clips I could use for ring tones, answering machine messages and online gaming.
Scratch voice: Duffusmonkey has a surprise for you.
Burt voice: This asswhipping has been brought to you by Duffusmonkey
Announcer Voice: Duffusmonkey would go through the appocolypse for you will you marry him
Announce Voice: Duffusmonkey is fighting for his life please leave a message
KC Voice: Duffusmonkey hated that movie more than I did

Duffusmonkey
Aug 3rd, 2013, 11:06 AM
How about a premium membership to Were Alive. As a paying member you could listen to the podcast a few days earlier. Have yaccess to a separate stream for live events that won't crash. Get access to mini stories.

I would also buy a dvd for the making of We're Alive. Give tours of all the sites, Army base, Fort Irwin, Mallet Mall, ground zero. Video of the live performances

Market a line of Zombie miniture figurines

I would also pay for customized audio clips I could use for ring tones, answering machine messages and online gaming.
Scratch voice: Duffusmonkey has a surprise for you.
Burt voice: This asswhipping has been brought to you by Duffusmonkey
Announcer Voice: Duffusmonkey would go through the appocolypse for you will you marry him
Announce Voice: Duffusmonkey is fighting for his life please leave a message
KC Voice: Duffusmonkey hated that movie more than I did

Kc
Aug 3rd, 2013, 11:10 AM
The problem with the paid membership is the logistics of it. For instance, if people had paid memberships they would want to be able to use their current podcast client to listen, when we wouldn't be able to do that because the RSS feed is publicly available. We could potentially offer it on the website only, and mobile clients could then stream it. There is that option.

Thoughts on that?

The recorded lines are an option as well. I prefer to not have to task out the actors for something like that, but if a few volunteer that might be ok.

Osiris
Aug 3rd, 2013, 11:17 AM
I couldn't see tasking the cast to record people's voicemail messages. That's just . . . that's just fucked up.

That said, I would never change my voicemail if Jenna did it, and I would probably spend all day calling myself.

Kc
Aug 3rd, 2013, 11:21 AM
Also, another thing to consider is the taxable portion of raised funds. Does anyone know how that works?

UPDATE: Nevermind, if we spend all the funds in the same year we are fine. However, if we don't then we get taxed on it.

nikvoodoo
Aug 3rd, 2013, 12:09 PM
In the vein of exclusive content, might there be a way to set up a private video chat with the cast and crew similar to the one you held in the past but you have to pay $25-$30 to get access?

Osiris
Aug 3rd, 2013, 12:17 PM
Here's a thought...

Do an exclusive podcast with the cast members. Not like an exclusive chapter or anything ridiculous. Maybe you get the cast together and play a game, a la TESD and boom. Or you sit around and just talk to the cast. You know, bout how they feel about the show ending, or share some anecdote about their experiences on the show. Or maybe everyone just gets together, drinks some wine, and bullshits about life, art, religion, politics, sex, whatever.

I know that TESD does lots of exclusive content and they're always pretty successful. At least enough to keep Q driving back and forth from New York every week to do the show.

Duffusmonkey
Aug 3rd, 2013, 01:21 PM
You could sell off "REDSHIRT" appearances on the show.

Burt: This is Duffusmonkey I found him half starved in a sheriffs office.
Duffusmonkey: I can't thank you enough I thought I was a goner when.... arggh
Burt: Crap he's changing BLAM BLAM BLAM, Thanks Shirly you have always been there to fix my mistakes

Osiris
Aug 3rd, 2013, 01:36 PM
Donate to win a:

Date with Burt!

That's right! A date with Scott Marvin, the voice behind Burt, gun slinging cry-baby (That's right I said it), and fan favourite will take you out for a romantic, candle lit dinner for two (or three) at the nearest Roscoe's Chicken & Waffle!

turbo
Aug 3rd, 2013, 01:38 PM
I couldn't see tasking the cast to record people's voicemail messages. That's just . . . that's just fucked up.

That said, I would never change my voicemail if Jenna did it, and I would probably spend all day calling myself.

I was thinking the same thing...

Osiris
Aug 3rd, 2013, 01:39 PM
I was thinking the same thing...

Because of a mutual love for Jenna's vocal cords?

SleepyGlenn
Aug 3rd, 2013, 02:49 PM
I think a Kickstarter style thing would be the way to go. I'm sure I've seen previously established series go on there to fund new seasons!

Osiris
Aug 3rd, 2013, 02:58 PM
*cough* Veronica "Send More Money" Mars *cough*

Lilydragon
Aug 3rd, 2013, 10:38 PM
The problem with the paid membership is the logistics of it. For instance, if people had paid memberships they would want to be able to use their current podcast client to listen, when we wouldn't be able to do that because the RSS feed is publicly available. We could potentially offer it on the website only, and mobile clients could then stream it. There is that option.

Thoughts on that?

The recorded lines are an option as well. I prefer to not have to task out the actors for something like that, but if a few volunteer that might be ok.

Unless its personalized couldn't you pull favorite quotes as sound bytes for ring tones? Maybe 3-4 per character... Or 5-6 per season... Just throwing out an idea so you don't have to ask the actors if they'd volenteer to make a few. I completely understand if it isn't workable.

LiamKerrington
Aug 3rd, 2013, 11:23 PM
Hi there,

how about doing several small things.
- The Kickstarter and/or Indiegogo - thing with perks including small packages like ring-tones based on cool quotes from the show (you better start running) or shirts with quotes or even autographs on them?
- a variety of ringtone-packages made available, but not the same like the ones on the Kickstarter (!)
- an auction for the chapter 48-event-tickets

Best wishes!
Liam

Robzombie
Aug 4th, 2013, 06:13 PM
I'd just like to be able to buy one of the zombie coming out of the ground or the tower rules t-shirts that sold out a long time ago. The black and white one looks to tuxedo-ish. Someone also mentioned before, about a year ago maybe, the idea of letting people pay for an early release of the podcast. That's the best I got for now.

Malador
Aug 4th, 2013, 06:20 PM
Perhaps you could take a page from Osiris, and have a few of the characters tell their background story, and have them be for purchase only.

Robzombie
Aug 4th, 2013, 08:56 PM
Perhaps you could take a page from Osiris, and have a few of the characters tell their background story, and have them be for purchase only.

Bonus for pay side material would be great but i think a lot of issues come up with production, timing, availability, and money that would make it difficult to make. Then i think it would hold up production of the 4th season. But i'd love and have no problem with putting money to side story material. I think it's a fantastic idea that would be such a great addition for a huge fan if its doable.

Witch_Doctor
Aug 4th, 2013, 09:06 PM
Bonus for pay side material would be great but i think a lot of issues come up with production, timing, availability, and money that would make it difficult to make. Then i think it would hold up production of the 4th season. But i'd love and have no problem with putting money to side story material. I think it's a fantastic idea that would be such a great addition for a huge fan if its doable.

I'm gonna say that this sounds like a pretty good idea. Maybe a one-off. Sell it for a buck or two. Hope that 20k fans buy it. Maybe at the end of each episode, play a fund raising commercial or fan reviews teasing about what listeners are missing.

Osiris
Aug 4th, 2013, 10:13 PM

I agree. Everyone listen to me. Listen to me now. . .

http://i.imgur.com/P8uM624.jpg

Hellbringer
Aug 5th, 2013, 05:31 PM
I like the idea of an auction for physical things. Autographed scripts, session photos, serialized lithographs... that sort of thing.

cupcakezombie
Aug 5th, 2013, 05:49 PM
I have been thinking about this for the past few days. What about pre-orders for a box set of all seasons with a booklet about the show, and include outtakes and deleted scenes. These could even be a limited run and be numbered and signed. I would pay ahead for something like that, and would not mind there being extra on top of the price of the production price to get this.
I like the auction ideas, but that will always be a limited number of fans, whereas this (even with a limited run) will allow a wider group to partake.

Robzombie
Aug 5th, 2013, 09:20 PM
Well any money making is going to have to have minimal or no cost to it or impact to current production schedules. Unlike a tv show there are going to be few items of significance that can be sold or auctioned off...that would only appeal to a very limited audience. With my sons band...t-shirts make about 3 to 4 times the cost of production. I don't know if I'd pay anything for something I already have (the actual podcasts) because they are autographed....uhm....I'd love to get my hands on one of those original issue first season sets.......still thinking.

Kc
Aug 6th, 2013, 09:16 AM
Well any money making is going to have to have minimal or no cost to it or impact to current production schedules. Unlike a tv show there are going to be few items of significance that can be sold or auctioned off...that would only appeal to a very limited audience. With my sons band...t-shirts make about 3 to 4 times the cost of production. I don't know if I'd pay anything for something I already have (the actual podcasts) because they are autographed....uhm....I'd love to get my hands on one of those original issue first season sets.......still thinking.

Those we still have, but very few. Those limited # ones are VERY hard to come by.

Lilydragon
Aug 6th, 2013, 11:36 AM
Those we still have, but very few. Those limited # ones are VERY hard to come by.

Auction those, they should pull in money since there aren't many left.

Tallyho
Aug 7th, 2013, 08:37 PM
I plan on buying the entire series on cd when it is completed. How about pre-orders for the cd plus the YouTube videos on DVD. Extra money for signed box sets.
Maybe even an extra episode that is not available for download (pre-quel for Bert's book?)

Malador
Aug 8th, 2013, 08:52 PM
If enough people had interest in it, perhaps you could put out a poll for the 3 characters listeners would most like to hear an origin story for, and have a session for each of them, and make a full episode of it to sell.

Litmaster
Aug 9th, 2013, 09:09 AM
I always thought the 'Date with Jenna' thing was a good idea, but...

Duffusmonkey
Aug 10th, 2013, 01:09 PM
Bikini car wash! It always works in the movies,

P.S. The bikini car wash scene in Grown Ups 2 may scar you for life

Creepykinai
Sep 29th, 2013, 03:33 PM
I'd love to donate via Kickstarter! Or whatever works for ya'll, but Kickstarter kinda has a way of promoting you too. If your project gets enough attention, they send your project out with a few others to peoples emails ((not sure how many KS supporters there are here)). I can't vouch for INdiegogo, but it's a whatever situation. Just keep the good times rolling ZB's!!!

Osiris
Sep 29th, 2013, 06:25 PM
I always thought the 'Date with Jenna' thing was a good idea, but...

In all honesty, that's really creepy.

Duffusmonkey
Sep 29th, 2013, 07:26 PM
I saw a kickstarter once for some guy who USED to podcast. His kickstarter was to fund him going back into Podcasting. He wanted thousands of dollars for the latest Macbook Pro, Ipad for sound clips, Multiple Microphones, Soundboard, Sound damping material for a home studio, and several thousand more to pay for web hosting and misc expenses. In other words he was a douchebag. I don't think he got fully funded ONLY because he asked for a stupid amount of money. It was so blatantly clear that he just wanted his old fans to buy him stuff.

If that jerk could get any money at all We're Alive shoudl be able to generate a very nice kickstarter to fund. We're Alive Novels, We're alive mini stories I would donate to get a copy of Burt's war stories,Tuna Sandwhich and all.

The win a date with Jenna think is creepy, but a Win a personallized recording of Jenna saying that If I ever call her again she will cut my balls off.... well... that is also creepy but less like prostitution.

Osiris
Sep 29th, 2013, 07:48 PM
I saw a kickstarter once for some guy who USED to podcast. His kickstarter was to fund him going back into Podcasting. He wanted thousands of dollars for the latest Macbook Pro, Ipad for sound clips, Multiple Microphones, Soundboard, Sound damping material for a home studio, and several thousand more to pay for web hosting and misc expenses. In other words he was a douchebag. I don't think he got fully funded ONLY because he asked for a stupid amount of money. It was so blatantly clear that he just wanted his old fans to buy him stuff.

If that jerk could get any money at all We're Alive shoudl be able to generate a very nice kickstarter to fund. We're Alive Novels, We're alive mini stories I would donate to get a copy of Burt's war stories,Tuna Sandwhich and all.

The win a date with Jenna think is creepy, but a Win a personallized recording of Jenna saying that If I ever call her again she will cut my balls off.... well... that is also creepy but less like prostitution.

What about . . . win a date with Nikvoodoo? Or win a date with Osiris!

turbo
Sep 29th, 2013, 08:54 PM
Hell I'll throw my name in on this haha!

Osiris
Sep 29th, 2013, 09:29 PM
win a date with turbo!

Creepykinai
Sep 30th, 2013, 05:47 AM
Hell I'll throw my name in on this haha!What about Mr. Whiskers? Or Lady? No love for the animals? hahahah

Kc
Sep 30th, 2013, 09:02 AM
Fortunately we may not have to go with some of these aspects for fundraising. We might do it more towards the end to raise funds for the finale show, but we'll talk more about that later.

TimmyElliot
Sep 30th, 2013, 09:34 AM
Maybe offer an exclusive webcast... such as being able to watch a recording session or something.

pmchawk
Sep 30th, 2013, 09:35 AM
Character named after donor ( assuming any more get introduced)

Ranmadoctor
Oct 7th, 2013, 08:29 AM
Might I suggest “We’re Alive” out of context and time character short story for a paid download fee? I realize that you prefer to keep “We’re Alive” free and I support that idea but would consider...

Unit
Nov 12th, 2013, 09:42 PM
What about a bonus series of podcasts after that include bloopers and deleted scenes or alternate script ideas etc. Pre-sell it now and wait to release it till after the season is over. Anyone who buys into it can get a code or login and make a seperate feed (like the We're Not Dead Podcast, make a We're Alive: The Special Edition feed or something). I'm not sure of all the costs involved but this seems like it would be a low cost investment to setup and with the volume of listeners, even if only a small percentage bought in that it could still drive some good $$$.

I think movie theater add size posters of chapter artwork signed by the cast would probably sell. If I wasn't unemployed at the moment I'd buy one haha.

Unit
Nov 12th, 2013, 09:56 PM
Not sure if this would be too much of an investment but just throwing it out there, what about either an auction or sell raffle entries for 'Shirley'? Would cost about $2k to purchase the firearm and have it engraved with Shirley. Maybe throw in an autographed print of the photo shoot from Scott Marvin / Burt. If you sell tickets for $5 or $10 a pop or something. Get 1,000 entries or so and you could make some decent funds. Partner with a local gunshop there in CA and throw in an add spot for them when pitching raffle tickets and you might even get a killer discount on the handgun, maybe even get it for free, who knows. Pitch them as the place to go for all your zombie apocalypse armory needs haha. This is something that wouldn't even have to be exclusive to the We're Alive fan base either if you really didn't want it to. Just a thought, I am a firearms fanatic so that kind of stuff always comes to mind haha.

Storm
Nov 13th, 2013, 08:12 AM
I love the idea of releasing quotes and such from the show... At least I think someone suggested that some pages back...
In other Words... More ring tone packs, I guess. I'd especially love to have a quote from chapter 12:
Bill: "Just because the lights are out ... doesn't mean the party has to stop! Hahahaha!"
(I just started listening to that chapter Again and realised that he's another of my favorite characters. Lol!)
Besides that I don't have any ideas, I don't know anything about KS or any other sites used for such stuff, but I hope you figure something out. :)

Monster mani
Nov 13th, 2013, 01:17 PM
Just an idea that came to my mind. Sorry it its already been said. But the pamphlets on the best way to kill zombies, there types etc that Cj wanted printed. I think they would sell well.

skankyfish
Nov 19th, 2013, 09:01 AM
What I'd love to give you money for is an MP3 "album" of the entire 48 chapters, once they're finished. Ideally I'd like each chapter edited together into a single 45-60 minute track, but I'd just be happy to own the episodes, to be honest. I'd also be happy to pre-order and pay for that now, with an actual release date at some point (weeks? months?) after the last episode airs.

ZombieWildfire
Nov 21st, 2013, 03:47 AM
I would absolutely love to see a companion book to the series. Maybe made up of the characters journal extracts, newspaper clippings etc.

I'd second skankyfish's suggestion too.

Storm
Nov 21st, 2013, 05:46 AM
I'd second skankyfish's suggestion too.
I'll third it, then. Especially if it would be reremastered, since there still are a few things that could be corrected - actors stuttering as an example.
Kalani does that at LAX in C21 or so, when he tells about the behemoth and the military base, and as I remember Saul does it as well in chapter 2 when he and Angel are going through the mall... He says something about the zombies not attacking each other...
And the door in Michael's classroom is another thing. It doesn't seem to be synced with the fading of the teacher's voice.
I'm probably waaay too perfectionistic, but I just listen for such stuff automaticly. And I must say that so far I haven't found that many "errors" or what ever we shall call them. Fortunately you haven't (as far as I remember) used the same soundeffect twice within three seconds (gunshots doesn't count here). A Danish audio drama did that, and to be honest that just sounds awful, especially in this case - it was obvious that it was the same sound just in the opposit channel.
Other than that the editing is great! :D I was a bit worried about having all the voices in the center when I started listening, until then I had only listened to dramas where they panned around as the characters moved, but I kinda like this better. I guess it also makes editing easier. :)

tonyhind86
Nov 27th, 2013, 05:18 AM
I'd like to see a soundboard with all the most popular quotes from the show. I'm sure we could get a great list of suggestions from the forum. I would buy it!

masnyder4
Dec 2nd, 2013, 04:20 PM
Love the Shirley Handgun idea!!! Another would be an E-tool with We're Alive logo or something on it. And another photo op for that could be having Michael smacking CJ in the face! (I kid, I kid! But for real on the E-tool)