PDA

View Full Version : Dead Space 2

StepLaugh
Jan 24th, 2011, 11:45 AM
I'm picking it up first thing tomorrow morning.

Seeing on how it's a horror game, I though this might be a cool place to talk about it.

Are you guys excited to play it as much as I am?

cPT.cAPSLOCK
Jan 24th, 2011, 01:32 PM
Not really.
Was kinda disappointed by DS1.

I prefer Amnesia (not really Zs though) or Killing Floor.

Spud
Jan 24th, 2011, 01:37 PM
Not really.
Was kinda disappointed by DS1.

I prefer Amnesia (not really Zs though) or Killing Floor.

I play killing floor here and there too its a pretty sweet game

StepLaugh
Jan 24th, 2011, 01:42 PM
You must like PC games.

I played the demo of amnesia, and holy poop it's pretty scary.

What platform is Killing floor on?

Spud
Jan 24th, 2011, 01:44 PM
Killing floor is on PC. you can get it through Steam

cPT.cAPSLOCK
Jan 24th, 2011, 03:29 PM
I'm an avid PC gamer. I don't like controllers - they lack the precision and amount of buttons that the undefeatable keyboard & RAT do have.
Also, I can do a lot more with my PC than with any console - I don't use it for games alone, but also for webdesign, it's a media- and webserver, I use it for 3D CGI, and the list goes on.

Spud
Jan 24th, 2011, 03:40 PM
amen brother^

StepLaugh
Jan 24th, 2011, 04:47 PM
I've always been a console gamer, cause when I was growing up I never had a computer good enough to play my games.

So I picked up a dreamcast, and I could play any game I wanted on it, (dreamcast games only of course)

So I guess it just grew on me, I only play PC games if I can attach my 360 controller to it. And plus my 360 is a multimedia player to me, but it will never take place of my laptop for the important stuff.

fraggot
Jan 24th, 2011, 06:34 PM
I loved Dead Space 1, Steam has a pre-order for it and you get 75% off the previous game.

I primarily play Left 4 Dead 2 with my girlfriend, I'm obsessed with it.

StepLaugh
Jan 24th, 2011, 06:41 PM
I love me some left for dead! You only play it on PC right?

sdkmcqueen
Jan 24th, 2011, 08:33 PM
I am unfortunately working off a crappy 5 year old mac so no PC games for me. So I stick to my 360. I am also exited about dead space 2. I played the demo and it scared me pretty good. I have also played killing floor and really enjoy the sound track.

StepLaugh
Jan 24th, 2011, 09:01 PM
I really need to play this Killing floor, all you guys are talking about it XD

fraggot
Jan 24th, 2011, 09:14 PM
I love me some left for dead! You only play it on PC right?

Yeah, strictly PC

I have an Xbox 360 but sadly I only use it for Netflix. My girl occasionally plays Tomb Raider on it though.

fraggot
Jan 24th, 2011, 09:15 PM
I really need to play this Killing floor, all you guys are talking about it XD

I also own Killing Floor and it's fun in it's own right. It's nothing like Left 4 Dead though, it's much more of a "here's 400 zombies coming towards you, you and your friends have to stop them to earn money to buy better weapons for the next wave". No story or anything like Left 4 Dead, just pure zombie killing and much more realistic as far as weapons and such.

Hollomandious
Jan 24th, 2011, 10:47 PM
I've always been a console gamer, cause when I was growing up I never had a computer good enough to play my games.

So I picked up a dreamcast, and I could play any game I wanted on it, (dreamcast games only of course)

So I guess it just grew on me, I only play PC games if I can attach my 360 controller to it. And plus my 360 is a multimedia player to me, but it will never take place of my laptop for the important stuff.

I'm the same way. I can't come up w/ a reason to keep updating a computers hardware and shelling out dollars after dollars to stay current. $50 Game + $250.oo video card = i got me a PS3.

ConsoleControllers 4 Life! [tho i admit, they suck for FPS games]

fraggot
Jan 25th, 2011, 02:18 AM
Well honestly, if you know what you're doing you can build a nice PC that will last you a good while only having to maybe update small things from time to time. Having a mouse just can't compare to a controller when it comes to accuracy and precision in blowing zombies heads off.

cPT.cAPSLOCK
Jan 25th, 2011, 02:31 AM
I'm the same way. I can't come up w/ a reason to keep updating a computers hardware and shelling out dollars after dollars to stay current. $50 Game + $250.oo video card = i got me a PS3.

I hear many console gamers say that, but I can't get myself to agree with this.

After all, if you buy a PS3 you *also* need a PC, albeit a basic one.
€300 PS3, €400 basic computer. Add to that the €500 (at least) HDTV you'll need to fully utilize the PS3. Let's favour the PS3 and say we hookup the PC to the tv as well, so that it doesn't need a €100 monitor to go with it ;)
This totals on €800, with another €500 for the TV or €100 for a regular monitor (to which you can connect both the ps3 and pc aswell).
For €800-€1000 I can buy a mighty, game-crushing PC (including monitor and everything) which will literally play everything you throw at it maxed out, and will last 3 years at the very least without upgrading.

So basically, I wouldn't buy a console+TV if I have a good PC (which I luckily do), but I *do* have to buy a basic PC+monitor if I decide to get a console.

In the end it remains your own choice, and if you prefer a console then be my guest. However, I can't agree that it's supposed to be cheaper.

Spud
Jan 25th, 2011, 03:10 AM
i probably dished out 500 bucks upgrading my PC this year but ive had the darn thing for 5 years before i even upgraded it and before then i could still run Call of duty 4, Left 4 dead, team fortress 2 and some other games on ok settings. nowi can run things on high/ med settings with no lag.

and it will be a good 5 years again before i upgrade unless i have too

Walrusgus
Jan 25th, 2011, 10:14 PM
I didn't play the first Dead Space game, but Dead Space 2 rocks. I played some Amnesia but that freaks me out too much. I recently picked up Dead Rising 2 for the Xbox 360 and it is awesome. Killing zombies in hilarious ways is pure fun.

StepLaugh
Jan 26th, 2011, 04:24 AM
I didn't play the first Dead Space game, but Dead Space 2 rocks. I played some Amnesia but that freaks me out too much. I recently picked up Dead Rising 2 for the Xbox 360 and it is awesome. Killing zombies in hilarious ways is pure fun.

I finished playing the first DS a week before the 2nd one came out for the 3rd time. I'm currently on chapter 8 in DS2. And I'm loving every min of it. It's soooo much scarier than the first one.

There are so many guns to choose from.

The only downside to this one, is that I feel that this one's story is a little bit tougher to follow. I loved that in the last one you knew when every chapter was over cause you had to use the tram, but this one leads right into the next.

I still love it.

Hollomandious
Jan 26th, 2011, 07:12 AM
I hear many console gamers say that, but I can't get myself to agree with this.

After all, if you buy a PS3 you *also* need a PC, albeit a basic one.
€300 PS3, €400 basic computer. Add to that the €500 (at least) HDTV you'll need to fully utilize the PS3. Let's favour the PS3 and say we hookup the PC to the tv as well, so that it doesn't need a €100 monitor to go with it ;)
This totals on €800, with another €500 for the TV or €100 for a regular monitor (to which you can connect both the ps3 and pc aswell).
For €800-€1000 I can buy a mighty, game-crushing PC (including monitor and everything) which will literally play everything you throw at it maxed out, and will last 3 years at the very least without upgrading.

So basically, I wouldn't buy a console+TV if I have a good PC (which I luckily do), but I *do* have to buy a basic PC+monitor if I decide to get a console.

In the end it remains your own choice, and if you prefer a console then be my guest. However, I can't agree that it's supposed to be cheaper.

I agree with you.

But, i don't think you're looking at the life span of the console. I paid for my PS3 once. Each year, the games get better, but the hardware still works the same. In the PC realm, the games get better, and the need for better hardware keeps coming up.

Are there ever big name titles that hit the PC, but never come over to the console side? I know there is going the other way.

But again, i agree with ya. It really is just what you want to do.

hardrocknguy
Jan 26th, 2011, 07:28 AM
i probably dished out 500 bucks upgrading my PC this year but ive had the darn thing for 5 years before i even upgraded it and before then i could still run Call of duty 4, Left 4 dead, team fortress 2 and some other games on ok settings. nowi can run things on high/ med settings with no lag.

and it will be a good 5 years again before i upgrade unless i have too

I really love my gaming PC. As a zombie lover with only a PS3, I never had the chance to play the Left 4 Dead games along with Killing Floor, Red Nation, Zombie Driver and such. Luckly my friend helped me find a nice gaming laptop early last year. I installed Steam and have been playing all those games and more.

I also picked up Dead Space 2 yesterday and have been loving it. It's extremely creepy and I probably jumped about 4 times when I played it. I love the sections where it's almost pitch black, it seems like your alone, but you know your not really alone. Awesome game and can't wait to keep playing it.

cPT.cAPSLOCK
Jan 26th, 2011, 10:40 AM
I agree with you.

But, i don't think you're looking at the life span of the console. I paid for my PS3 once. Each year, the games get better, but the hardware still works the same. In the PC realm, the games get better, and the need for better hardware keeps coming up.

Are there ever big name titles that hit the PC, but never come over to the console side? I know there is going the other way.

But again, i agree with ya. It really is just what you want to do.

Well, as I said, you can run everything maxed for the first year or two, and at least at high settings after that. In my experience they tend to outlive the console (4-5 years).
Besides, many PC games support mods. Look at what they've done to Oblivion: that game is incredible on the PC because of all the extra content and changes in game mechanics. Look at call of duty: many new maps, balances, and other effects and the like. And so on.

Also, the PC graphics are significantly better than the PS3. The XBox 360 doesn't even come close.
So overall, you get a lot more value for money.

I can't do anything but admit you're right about console exclusives though. For the Wii there are good emulators (and you can even link the wiimote trough bluetooth if you'd want to), but that doesn't go for the PS3 or X360.
That'd be the only reason one might want a console, but experience learns some of these games arrive on the PC a few months later (for example, Fable 3 was X360 exclusive, but is coming to PC soon). Luckily, there are plenty of others to make up for it.

Still, personal preference conquers all, so there are still people who prefer consoles. Up to them, as long as I can have my PC (and as long as there are enough other PC players so that the market doesn't die ^^)

ObamaCat
Feb 26th, 2011, 09:10 AM
I finished playing the first DS a week before the 2nd one came out for the 3rd time. I'm currently on chapter 8 in DS2. And I'm loving every min of it. It's soooo much scarier than the first one.

There are so many guns to choose from.

The only downside to this one, is that I feel that this one's story is a little bit tougher to follow. I loved that in the last one you knew when every chapter was over cause you had to use the tram, but this one leads right into the next.

I still love it.

I'm on chapter 7 in DS 2 right now, and I'll second that it's much scarier. I find when I'm playing it I'll occasionally get the heebie jeebies and have to glance around my basement, but at the same time the game has this alluring, addictive element that keeps drawing me back to it. And as for the story, I find it a lot more engaging than DS 1, particularly because of Isaac. Visceral did a really good job fleshing him out this time around, and I find that the addition of a voice really adds to his character. The supporting characters all have great personalities as well.