StepLaugh
Jan 24th, 2011, 08:59 AM
Awesome, love this picture

TCM Revolver
Jan 24th, 2011, 09:13 AM
Very Cool!

Adogg
Jan 24th, 2011, 09:47 AM
I'm not going to say I told you so, so I'll just quote what I said in 17-1 ....

I feel like everyone is missing the most obvious thing. What if the base is trap for humans by humans?

Just because someone spray painted "rescue" on a wall doesn't mean they will be nice. Most likely they will be like the Mallers and want to dictate/rule over the survivors. I highly recommend some recon before making contact with this group.

At this point with the Zombies withering away, the survivors' biggest concern should be surviving in a post apoc world. This includes invoiding become a slave to the new King of LA.

Just my instinct

No one thought the guy was trying to WARN them not to come to the base?

"If you last a week then talk to me..." - Does this indicate that they are:
1. Experimenting on people
2. Eating people
3. Constantly in threat (probably not)

Hmmmmm ..... very troublesome indeed.

TCM Revolver
Jan 24th, 2011, 10:04 AM
I'm not going to say I told you so, so I'll just quote what I said in 17-1 ....

No one thought the guy was trying to WARN them not to come to the base?

"If you last a week then talk to me..." - Does this indicate that they are:
1. Experimenting on people
2. Eating people
3. Constantly in threat (probably not)

Hmmmmm ..... very troublesome indeed.

That is a great way of thinking. Once the z's are eliminated are we going to see a "Mad Max" type of world? Fresh Water has got be high up on the lists.

Scribbler
Jan 24th, 2011, 10:27 AM
New ep doesn't show up iN iTunes for me... Any ideas?

Kc
Jan 24th, 2011, 11:00 AM
New ep doesn't show up iN iTunes for me... Any ideas?
You're talking about iTunes mobile most likely. iTunes updates their feeds for that periodically, we're still waiting for it to go through. Sorry for the delay. If you're subscribed through iTunes on the computer, it is there now.

StepLaugh
Jan 24th, 2011, 11:14 AM
KC, I love the warning you give at the beginning of the new episodes.

Any reason why that is, or is it for poops and chuckles?

Kc
Jan 24th, 2011, 11:34 AM
KC, I love the warning you give at the beginning of the new episodes.

Any reason why that is, or is it for poops and chuckles?
Liability reasons. It's just a safe measure.

StepLaugh
Jan 24th, 2011, 11:43 AM
Liability reasons. It's just a safe measure.

Makes sense, and it kinda gives you the impression that something awesome is about to happen.

cycogod
Jan 24th, 2011, 12:10 PM
something very bad is going on inside this compound. Eating people/sex.(when he said micheal should be worried) testing on people...whats gonna happen to micheal. very interesting ! can't wait till part 2. human testing ...

StepLaugh
Jan 24th, 2011, 12:14 PM
yeah, i'm really excited to see what's going on here, and to see if we can find out more about the source of the infection.

Ra1th
Jan 24th, 2011, 02:09 PM
This whole new "colony", feels off, just the tone that the people had, the music that was playing in the background, it was somewhat uncomfortable. this gatekeeper guy seemed more creepy than welcoming. Victor, seemed like he was trying to keep them away from the tower, and then there was that incident where Angel mentioned cannibalism earlier with kalani, and if this place really does have a 1000 survivors, then its a possibility. Anyway somethign is not right about the colony. This new place, if it has this many survivors, and its hostile, then they must be the people who took all the guns from the army base,

which brings me to a theory i had going a while ago, the devil you know can be a fairly good ally Things are set in motion for an alliance or a treaty between the mallers and the tower, bringing latch's body back to the mallers, as well asngel's past with scratch, and scratch's role as possible second in command of the mallers. Even though we know the mallers are prisoners, and probably not good people, their intentions are pretty transparent, while this new group, who knows, i'd love to see a team up against a new more powerful enemy. Sounds like an awesome season finale, "The War, Part II" or like "The Second War" i dunno i like Durai, he seems badass, and like a capable commander of an army

also, lets not forget Angel still has to kill a behemoth, and i'm worried sick about him, WHY DO THEY KEEP PLAYING THAT SAD MUSIC WHEN THEY'RE FORMING THE PLAN. i dont like it, i hope this isnt going to be a set up for angel to sacrifice himself for the greater good of the mission or something, and then kalani goes back and gets the supplies back to the tower.

also kalani, giant douchebag, i mean i certainly didnt like him before, but this chapter, teh crap he was saying like, who cares about the mission, we need to save our own asses, like he was insinuating all that before, but he actually said it all aloud this episode so that rly sinks him lower in book.

Big Fish
Jan 24th, 2011, 02:23 PM
Does anyone else read "The Walking Dead"?

If you do, am I the only one seeing the correlation between "The Colony" and either "Woodbury" or the "D.C." colonies?

also kalani, giant douchebag, i mean i certainly didnt like him before, but this chapter, teh crap he was saying like, who cares about the mission, we need to save our own asses, like he was insinuating all that before, but he actually said it all aloud this episode so that rly sinks him lower in book.

Exactly! This guy stinks to high heaven of traitor.

cycogod
Jan 24th, 2011, 02:55 PM
yes I read the the walking dead and it does seem like woodbury. I keep get this sense that it's gonna be a good twist/plot thread. gotta think it's gonna be messed up, the colony seems very odd and creepy.

sdkmcqueen
Jan 24th, 2011, 06:36 PM
Well they cant be all bad. They might just have a totalitarian think going on in the Colony. I mean the doctor turned michael away because he was possibly bitten. If they were collecting people for experiments would they turn him away? Just something to think about.

StepLaugh
Jan 24th, 2011, 06:58 PM
Well they cant be all bad. They might just have a totalitarian think going on in the Colony. I mean the doctor turned michael away because he was possibly bitten. If they were collecting people for experiments would they turn him away? Just something to think about.

Do you maybe think the doctor was being controlled by the gatekeeper?

Wicked Sid
Jan 24th, 2011, 07:24 PM
That whole undressing scene reminded me of Fallout 3, mostly so when the Gatekeeper was talking about the Broken Arrow. I don't know why, it just hit me that way.

sdkmcqueen
Jan 24th, 2011, 07:29 PM
Do you maybe think the doctor was being controlled by the gatekeeper?

I dont know. The gatekeeper just seemed to be a creepy old guy to me. And the doctor seemed sort of normal. I'm already waiting for the next episode so I can get some answers!!!

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Jan 24th, 2011, 08:05 PM
like Pokemon and Seizures.... ROFL!

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Jan 24th, 2011, 08:07 PM
oops, that was supposed to go under KC's reply about the warning. Sorry.

sdkmcqueen
Jan 24th, 2011, 08:20 PM
like Pokemon and Seizures.... ROFL!

Que? Is this an inside joke or something?

sdkmcqueen
Jan 24th, 2011, 08:22 PM
oops, that was supposed to go under KC's reply about the warning. Sorry.

oh, ok. Nevermind.

fraggot
Jan 24th, 2011, 09:19 PM
I loved the new episode, and especially the colony situation. The Gatekeeper is probably the creepiest thing this podcast has seen(heard, get it?) in awhile. Hopefully we get to find out how they were able to be so organized and such.

I hope this podcast never goes away. Kind of like what they said in "We're Not Dead", they could do a movie version of this after time and he could play the same character just "20 years later...." haha.

Hollomandious
Jan 24th, 2011, 10:35 PM
Since Michael isn't being let in, will Pegs and Kelly actually go in? Will they decide not to go in, and then be forced to go in? Are they actually going to just let Michael walk back out the front door?

Sorry for all the questions. But, i ain't got no answers.

Big Fish
Jan 25th, 2011, 06:24 AM
Since Michael isn't being let in, will Pegs and Kelly actually go in? Will they decide not to go in, and then be forced to go in? Are they actually going to just let Michael walk back out the front door?

I've been wondering the same thing. I have a strange feeling that Kelly will go in and that Pegs will try and leave with Michael.

Perhaps Kelly will do some recon on what is going on inside.

I The K Train I
Jan 25th, 2011, 08:51 AM
I think that Kalani was a little less of a dick in this one. He blames himself for the incident with the truck (which is good, I blame him too). He also came up with a solid idea for the Behomoth. It...

RamblinMike
Jan 25th, 2011, 09:11 AM
Maybe it's just me, but I was catching echoes of the TSA with the Gatekeeper. "Just think of me as a doctor", he says. "I have to go through it, too," says Victor. Not that I take it as a political comment one way or the other, but the situation sounded familiar.

megamanxzero35
Jan 25th, 2011, 09:11 AM
I kinda had to lol when they said they could drop the ceiling in on the behemoth. Young Justice just did that in their pilot episode.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rl0O_49lElU#t=3m10s

Kc
Jan 25th, 2011, 10:03 AM
Maybe it's just me, but I was catching echoes of the TSA with the Gatekeeper. "Just think of me as a doctor", he says. "I have to go through it, too," says Victor. Not that I take it as a political comment one way or the other, but the situation sounded familiar.

I was wondering if someone might have caught that...

StepLaugh
Jan 25th, 2011, 10:35 AM

I think the girls will be forced in. and terrible things will go down.

StepLaugh
Jan 25th, 2011, 10:39 AM
I kinda had to lol when they said they could drop the ceiling in on the behemoth. Young Justice just did that in their pilot episode.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rl0O_49lElU#t=3m10s

I love me some Young Justice XD

but yeah I can see something going down like that.

hardrocknguy
Jan 25th, 2011, 01:24 PM
I think the girls will be forced in. and terrible things will go down.

I'm thinking the same thing also. Even though we haven't heard much about this place yet, something seems kinda off about it. I wonder if the rest of the chapter will include Michael trying to get access into the Colony in some other way.

RamblinMike
Jan 25th, 2011, 03:43 PM
I was wondering if someone might have caught that...

I knew it!

Current U.S. political considerations aside, I think the Colony is going to suffer for their policies. I don't like Maslow's heirarchy; dignity, compassion, wisdom, etc are more fundamental than security or survival. Gleason speculated in the interview that The Tower has survived so long because of their "never say die" attitude in spite of inferior equipment and intel, and I totally agree.

Kc
Jan 25th, 2011, 03:54 PM
I knew it!

Current U.S. political considerations aside, I think the Colony is going to suffer for their policies. I don't like Maslow's heirarchy; dignity, compassion, wisdom, etc are more fundamental than security or survival. Gleason speculated in the interview that The Tower has survived so long because of their "never say die" attitude in spite of inferior equipment and intel, and I totally agree.

Well said. I can't comment further, but I have a feeling this won't be the last time we talk about this.

Ra1th
Jan 28th, 2011, 05:37 PM
I knew it!

Maslow's hierarchy is undisputed. The fact of the matter is, after 3 or 4 days without food and water, ur primary concern, is now food and water, at that point, things like dignity, compassion, self actualization, self esteem and even safety, become obsolete people would risk anything for a meal.

if a person was stuck in a room without air, and the only way to get oxygen was by walking into a room filled with zombies, sooner or later they would break down and open the door to the zombies, even though it means safety will become compromised.

its the same situation with security, why was it that Kelly who was sooo ready to walk out the door and leave the tower behind in one of the earlier chapters of season 1, stopped and despite hating the leadership that was in place at the time, came back into the tower? her safety was compromised, and dignity and principles no longer mattered to her, she wanted to survive, and the only way to do so, was to beg michael to let her stay.

Kc
Jan 28th, 2011, 05:39 PM
Maslow's hierarchy is undisputed. The fact of the matter is, after 3 or 4 days without food and water, ur primary concern, is now food and water, at that point, things like dignity, compassion, self actualization, self esteem and even safety, become obsolete people would risk anything for a meal.

if a person was stuck in a room without air, and the only way to get oxygen was by walking into a room filled with zombies, sooner or later they would break down and open the door to the zombies, even though it means safety will become compromised.

its the same situation with security, why was it that Kelly who was sooo ready to walk out the door and leave the tower behind in one of the earlier chapters of season 1, stopped and despite hating the leadership that was in place at the time, came back into the tower? her safety was compromised, and dignity and principles no longer mattered to her, she wanted to survive, and the only way to do so, was to beg michael to let her stay.

I'm enjoying this debate. It's very Michael vs. Burt.

Onslaught
Jan 29th, 2011, 02:38 PM
Why didn't they just let Michael in? I mean sure his arm may have looked bad but if it was a bite like they thought it was then he would have turned. I mean it just really goes against common sense. Good Show though I love it.

Wicked Sid
Jan 29th, 2011, 03:57 PM
Why didn't they just let Michael in? I mean sure his arm may have looked bad but if it was a bite like they thought it was then he would have turned. I mean it just really goes against common sense. Good Show though I love it.

The Doctor had no idea when the injury was sustained and since Michael was not allowed to speak there could be no clarification about it. I'm pretty sure they went with their own common sense.

icepatrol
Jan 30th, 2011, 12:33 AM
My guess is that the colony are a bunch of cannibals.
Victor says "If you last a week then talk to me..." which seems to show that the colony only kill
the weaklings and only the stronger people survive.
I also think that there cannibals because they wouldnt let michael in because they cant eat him since he looks infected.
Also when the gatekeeper was inspecting them he seemed to act as if he was inspecting food.

Ra1th
Jan 30th, 2011, 12:58 AM
Victor says "If you last a week then talk to me..." which seems to show that the colony only kill
I also think that there cannibals because they wouldnt let michael in because they cant eat him since he looks infected.
Also when the gatekeeper was inspecting them he seemed to act as if he was inspecting food.

wow that is messed up... and seems really plausible, i think you may have hit the nail on the head, the inspecting food part especially. that whole colony gives off a really creepy vibe

I The K Train I
Jan 30th, 2011, 01:48 AM

Yes. That would make sense of a lot of it. I could totally see that happening! I wish I had the ability to read that deep into dialogue, thats very good.

Drew1749
Jan 30th, 2011, 08:47 AM
Wow. That's a good one. I didn't think of that.

I also get a fallout 3 vibe from the colony...but not in the good way like Megaton more like a raider camp or something. :P

I The K Train I
Jan 30th, 2011, 08:50 AM
Wow. That's a good one. I didn't think of that.

I also get a fallout 3 vibe from the colony...but not in the good way like Megaton more like a raider camp or something. :P

I get a paradise falls vibe from it myself. Something about the place. Or maybe a Rivet city with more security

Drew1749
Jan 30th, 2011, 09:05 AM
I get a paradise falls vide from it myself. Something about the place. Or maybe a Rivet city with more security

lol keep on rolling with the fallout references.

Regardless I doubt that these are the good people that we are meant to think they are.

StepLaugh
Jan 30th, 2011, 09:26 AM
I don't know if this goes together. But right now Kc is playing Fallout 3 and New Veags as he's writing these episode. He's might be getting some ideas from Fallout. I love it.

Onslaught
Jan 30th, 2011, 01:55 PM
Well they could be cannibals or they could be dictators. The two could also go together as well. If their way of looking at it is kill the weak and make the colony stronger, cannibalism could also go with it. Dead bodies just don't disappear by themselves. But this is just all speculation we won't know until Monday.

RamblinMike
Jan 30th, 2011, 04:01 PM

Undisputed it ain't. First of all, I'm disputing it (so ha!). Second, others have disputed it as well - Wikipedia says so!

Self-actualization can't be achieved by first seeking basic needs. In fact, it seems that those who have achieved it have done so by denying the bottom-of-the-pyramid stuff in order to gain the higher-up stuff. By choosing food, sex, and security over morality and principles, you make yourself more mammal than man. I never heard of a great teacher or saint who taught such a pyramid; in fact, they all turn it upside-down. My big hero Woody Guthrie got to be so great because he rode around on freight trains and got himself half-ways starved during the Great Depression. Even Jesus said, "Seek ye first the kingdom of God and its righteousness, and all these things (food, clothing, shelter) will be added unto you."

Y'see, we admire the people who take the top-of-the-pyramid stuff and make it their priority. Who do you dig more - Angel or Kalani? Kalani's been trying to weasel his way to safety and security since they found him, but when the behemoth came, Angel risked his own neck just to save his sorry ass. Maslow's hierarchy is true for cowards: people who are morally reprehensible and self-serving. But in my book, it's no good gaining the whole world if you lose your soul.

aprilhw3
Jan 30th, 2011, 04:31 PM
Undisputed it ain't. First of all, I'm disputing it (so ha!). Second, others have disputed it as well - Wikipedia says so!

Self-actualization can't be achieved by first seeking basic needs. In fact, it seems that those who have achieved it have done so by denying the bottom-of-the-pyramid stuff in order to gain the higher-up stuff. By choosing food, sex, and security over morality and principles, you make yourself more mammal than man. I never heard of a great teacher or saint who taught such a pyramid; in fact, they all turn it upside-down. My big hero Woody Guthrie got to be so great because he rode around on freight trains and got himself half-ways starved during the Great Depression. Even Jesus said, "Seek ye first the kingdom of God and its righteousness, and all these things (food, clothing, shelter) will be added unto you."

Y'see, we admire the people who take the top-of-the-pyramid stuff and make it their priority. Who do you dig more - Angel or Kalani? Kalani's been trying to weasel his way to safety and security since they found him, but when the behemoth came, Angel risked his own neck just to save his sorry ass. Maslow's hierarchy is true for cowards: people who are morally reprehensible and self-serving. But in my book, it's no good gaining the whole world if you lose your soul.

I mean no offense, but a starving, homeless man fighting for survival against those who would do him harm isn't likely to be terribly concerned about personal enrichment and enlightenment. There is a reason that crime rates are much higher in low income neighborhoods and third world countries with limited resources to go around. When basic needs are not met, it's dog-eat-dog. Think about it...there are probably a great number of children who go to bed hungry in the city in which you live, yet I'm sure you ate at least one good meal today. Following your logic, you would have sacrificed every bite of food and water you took in today to someone who needed it more. You would also sacrifice your car to someone who needed it more than you do...and your bank account, give it up pal...I'm broke! ;)

RamblinMike
Jan 30th, 2011, 05:15 PM
I mean no offense, but a starving, homeless man fighting for survival against those who would do him harm isn't likely to be terribly concerned about personal enrichment and enlightenment. There is a reason that crime rates are much higher in low income neighborhoods and third world countries with limited resources to go around. When basic needs are not met, it's dog-eat-dog. Think about it...there are probably a great number of children who go to bed hungry in the city in which you live, yet I'm sure you ate at least one good meal today. Following your logic, you would have sacrificed every bite of food and water you took in today to someone who needed it more. You would also sacrifice your car to someone who needed it more than you do...and your bank account, give it up pal...I'm broke! ;)

Well, concerning how much we should sacrifice and for whom, and when we should do it, that's a question of moral hierarchy. We're not necessarily obliged to give our last scrap of food to a stranger we don't know and haven't heard of. The ethics of altruism can be complicated, but they are there.

I still don't find maslow's hierarchy to be true, though, even in low-income neighborhoods - and I live in one. Crime rates are higher because the temptation is more present to steal or to lie, but rich folks are often as uncaring and unkind as the poor. The well-fed and secure have got their own set of problems and their own way to avoid self-actualization. And, as a busker, I've found that the poorer the person, the more likely they are to toss in some money. It's not about whether poor people do more bad things, but what kind of bad things they do.

mascaria
Jan 30th, 2011, 05:21 PM
Crime rates are higher because the temptation is more present to steal or to lie, but rich folks are often as uncaring and unkind as the poor. The well-fed and secure have got their own set of problems and their own way to avoid self-actualization. And, as a busker, I've found that the poorer the person, the more likely they are to toss in some money. It's not about whether poor people do more bad things, but what kind of bad things they do.

I don't think you really mean temptation here, that's ridiculous. If anything it would be the upper class who would be more "tempted" to steal than the lower class, after all what you're stealing from the lower class is crap and nowhere near as nice as the stuff the upperclass would have.

mascaria
Jan 30th, 2011, 05:21 PM
P.S. Are we getting an update on the Tower/Saul in 18-2? Please?

I was sad when the episode ended and there was no news on Saul.

RamblinMike
Jan 30th, 2011, 06:16 PM
I don't think you really mean temptation here, that's ridiculous. If anything it would be the upper class who would be more "tempted" to steal than the lower class, after all what you're stealing from the lower class is crap and nowhere near as nice as the stuff the upperclass would have.

Hm, I'm talking about tempted cause they need it, not just cause they want it.

But I think we're getting off-point too. This isn't about rich and poor, this is about the Colony versus the Tower. The Maslow's hierarchy thing was a side-note, and I initially only said that I don't like it, not that I disagree with it (though I do). Maybe a separate thread for this?

I'm still thinking we'll see hard times for the Colony on account of their dirty no-good ways. No matter how people actually act (a point worthy of lots of debate), we all know how people ought to act (a point hardly worth debating). And I'm guessing that The Colony is the bad sort, and that this will be bad for them in the end. "A bad beginning", says the old proverb, "makes a bad ending".