PDA

View Full Version : walking dead in black and white.

werewolf
Mar 16th, 2013, 09:54 PM
I might be in minority with this opinion. However here it goes. I really like the walking dead even when it verse off somewhat from the graphic novel . It's well written and well its just good scary fun. The thing that i don't like about it is when they do the throwbacks to black and white. I am sorry to anybody that think this is cool. Its not. When they do this its just putting a filter on already shot footage to turn it into a b/w film. There is no real skill in it what so ever. The old b/w movies were lighted by masters of their craft. They had to convey the mood of the scene just by using correct lighting techniques. Like KC and the cast and crew. They are conveying the scene to us with the skills and techniques of their craft. I feel the same way with colorization of old b/w movies. It never looked right to me, all the colors were in my opinion, muddy. When Ted Turner came up with this idea I could have kicked him in the balls. Don't get me wrong I am not anti tech. I am just anti stupid.:hammer:

REZombie
Mar 18th, 2013, 05:47 PM
I agree. show it how it was shot.

B&W movies have a unique feel to them that you just can't get by a filter.

speaking of b&w films, I recommend checking out the Josh Becker film ''Running Time'' starring Bruce Campbell. An interesting thing about it is that It was shot in real time, and seemingly no cuts.

Osiris
Mar 18th, 2013, 08:43 PM
I agree. show it how it was shot.

B&W movies have a unique feel to them that you just can't get by a filter.

speaking of b&w films, I recommend checking out the Josh Becker film ''Running Time'' starring Bruce Campbell. An interesting thing about it is that It was shot in real time, and seemingly no cuts.

That's a B.C. movie that I haven't sat down and watched yet. I should rectify that so I can keep calling myself a fan.

Tielurrdee
Mar 19th, 2013, 11:47 AM
Yeah I'm with you. The black and white filter look just doesn't do it for me. Espically if you've seen it in color. All the make up work they do is a waste for transferring it to black and white. I just find my eyes trying to color in scenes as they play.

Osiris
Mar 19th, 2013, 01:24 PM
Are you all positive that it's a "filter" and not de-saturation? The two are completely different processes. One takes no effort at all, the other actually does take a modicum of skill. What little I've seen of the B&W episodes looks to be de-saturation. There even seems to be a little extra grain added.

There isn't a way for them to recreate the true feel of black and white films unless they shoot on celluloid. Digital will never achieve that quality.

werewolf
Mar 21st, 2013, 07:41 PM
Are you all positive that it's a "filter" and not de-saturation? The two are completely different processes. One takes no effort at all, the other actually does take a modicum of skill. What little I've seen of the B&W episodes looks to be de-saturation. There even seems to be a little extra grain added.

There isn't a way for them to recreate the true feel of black and white films unless they shoot on celluloid. Digital will never achieve that quality.

that's why they shouldn't do it anyway.
1. cause they CANT achieve that type quality
2. cause that type of skill, isn't taught anymore (as far as I know of)
3. cause it would take too much time to do it right.
4. cause its just a gimmick.