PDA

View Full Version : Some notes to Quizmasters and admins

scbubba
Mar 6th, 2013, 04:12 PM
It looks like we've got a good start on the Reptrivia quizzes. Special thanks to Litmaster, Robzombie, and Kc or getting several quizzes up there.

A couple of things I've noticed:

- judging short answer quiz answers seems to always result in a 0% score for the quiz taker.

- the main Reptrivia page that lists all current and upcoming quizzes will only show 5 quizzes at a time. We have, I think, about 7 up there right now but folks can't see them all. This could cause confusion.

- Litmaster has added an incentive to his quizzes where if the quiz taker does well enough, he gets Rep from Lit.

Action items:

1) Until we determine what's up with judged answers, let's stay away from short answer quizzes (and any other type that requires judging. See the FAQ for ino on quiz types).

2) Can someone with admin/dev privilege check on the number of quizzes shown in the main Reptrivia page?

3) if you want to, and I encourage you to, include an incentive for one or more quiz takers to earn some Rep or doing well on the quiz (or being the quickest, etc)

Thanks,
Bubba

EDIT: Short answer and essay quizzes can now be judged and the user scores will be updated correctly and immediately. Thanks t Kc for getting the vBQuiz dev to help us out.

Litmaster
Mar 6th, 2013, 05:52 PM
Yeah, there are definitely some bugs to be worked out with the new quiz thing. I have thrown up my first batch of quizzes as much for practice making the things as anything else. I've got a multi-selection one up for tomorrow that I hope works out.

1) I'll look into how the stats are generated for responses, but right now it's not looking completely accurate.

2) I will delve more into the manual to try to find a solution to the 5 quiz display. I did notice that there are multiple ways to search for a quiz, but that wouldn't really matter if a daily has already expired. I'm thinking they should just be automatically deleted after their expiration date, or old quizzes will just clutter up the list.

3) Yeah, the REP thing just seemed a bit more fun. I've got one coming up on Saturday where I invite people to wager a REP with me. Also, it would be cool if we could figure out some open-ended 'why?" type of questions that invite a subjective response, where the quiz master could display all and vote for the best answer given.

So more manual reading ahead... There is a bit of a learning curve with this thing, but once we get the hang of it, we'll be able to help other people so this should go much more smoothly.

Litmaster
Mar 6th, 2013, 06:10 PM
Hmmmm... it seems the program is not giving a percent for short answer quizzes. I looked at Kc's results today (3/6), which I know he got correct, but his score on the overall quiz results page says 0%.

http://www.zombiepodcast.com/forum/vbquiz.php?do=userresults&u=1

However, when I went to the link for his quiz results for that quiz, it says "1 of 1 questions answered correctly, 100%."

http://www.zombiepodcast.com/forum/vbquiz.php?do=quizresults&taken_id=174

And yet, his score is in the 20th percentile. WTF?

scbubba
Mar 6th, 2013, 08:13 PM
Hmmmm... it seems the program is not giving a percent for short answer quizzes. I looked at Kc's results today (3/6), which I know he got correct, but his score on the overall quiz results page says 0%.

http://www.zombiepodcast.com/forum/vbquiz.php?do=userresults&u=1

However, when I went to the link for his quiz results for that quiz, it says "1 of 1 questions answered correctly, 100%."

http://www.zombiepodcast.com/forum/vbquiz.php?do=quizresults&taken_id=174

And yet, his score is in the 20th percentile. WTF?

I've been digging through the docs on this one some tonight. I'm coming up empty on the judging/scoring stuff.

How did you come up with the links & ids for the results pages? That could be pretty useful in figuring some things out.

I ran a multi-select quiz earlier and it seemed to score things correctly. It's just the short answer ones that don't seem to be doing well right now.

Litmaster
Mar 7th, 2013, 02:58 AM
I've been digging through the docs on this one some tonight. I'm coming up empty on the judging/scoring stuff.

How did you come up with the links & ids for the results pages? That could be pretty useful in figuring some things out.

I ran a multi-select quiz earlier and it seemed to score things correctly. It's just the short answer ones that don't seem to be doing well right now.

I clicked on 'Leaderboard' (2 slots left of 'Quiz Admin'), then did the dropdown menu on Kc to 'View Kc's Quiz Results', then on the 'Completed Date' link for the 3/6 daily quiz.

scbubba
Mar 7th, 2013, 04:53 AM
I clicked on 'Leaderboard' (2 slots left of 'Quiz Admin'), then did the dropdown menu on Kc to 'View Kc's Quiz Results', then on the 'Completed Date' link for the 3/6 daily quiz.

Ok. Thanks, I got it now.

I'm not sure how it is calculating the % scores overall and I'm not sure how the scoring of the short answer quizzes is affecting it since a user's score is sometimes shown as 0% and sometimes as the right % (depending on where you look).

So, for the foreseeable future, let's keep away from the quiz types that require judging (short answer and essay).

ADMINS/DEVS
If anyone can figure out how to either a) increase the number of quizzes shown on the main Reptrivia page or b) change the default ordering to 'Newest Start Date' it would be a great help to make sure the active quizzes were always visible and that Quizmasters could still see which days do/do not have quizzes already.

Thanks,
Bubba

Kc
Mar 7th, 2013, 09:38 AM
I raised the quiz limit to 15 per page instead of 5. It's a setting in the admin section. I'll test out the judged section today.

scbubba
Mar 7th, 2013, 09:49 AM
Thanks for taking a look at this, Kc. Let me know how I can help.

I did notice that the main Reptrivia page is still showing 5 quizzes at a time. Didn't see a way to page through them. Just sorting still.

Kc
Mar 7th, 2013, 10:01 AM
There's only 5 active I think? Also, I submitted a bug report to the plugin developer for the short answer thing. I'll let you know what I hear.

EDIT: Yup, looks like another bug. Well, the way I worked around it is that I put a new link on the reptrivia button.

http://www.zombiepodcast.com/forum/vbquiz.php?do=main&sort=new_start

What that does now is loads the page with all the quizes sorted by closest to start time. I could potentially change it if need be to other parameters. You can change it by clicking the "newest start date" on the left and going from there. BUT I sure wish it would let us have more than 5...

scbubba
Mar 7th, 2013, 10:41 AM
There's only 5 active I think? Also, I submitted a bug report to the plugin developer for the short answer thing. I'll let you know what I hear.

EDIT: Yup, looks like another bug. Well, the way I worked around it is that I put a new link on the reptrivia button.

http://www.zombiepodcast.com/forum/vbquiz.php?do=main&sort=new_start

What that does now is loads the page with all the quizes sorted by closest to start time. I could potentially change it if need be to other parameters. You can change it by clicking the "newest start date" on the left and going from there. BUT I sure wish it would let us have more than 5...

As always, you ROCK Kc!

Thanks!

scbubba
Mar 7th, 2013, 11:03 AM
I raised the quiz limit to 15 per page instead of 5. It's a setting in the admin section. I'll test out the judged section today.

Looks like your judging test with the test user worked fine. I see that user has 100% for the short answer quiz when I look at current entries (instead of the 0% all of the other quizzes show there). And when I look at quizzes in the test user's profile I see 100% as well.

Anything that you think you did differently when judging that quiz?

Kc
Mar 7th, 2013, 11:36 AM
Looks like your judging test with the test user worked fine. I see that user has 100% for the short answer quiz when I look at current entries (instead of the 0% all of the other quizzes show there). And when I look at quizzes in the test user's profile I see 100% as well.

Anything that you think you did differently when judging that quiz?

Make sure you put the correct points in the points possible... perhaps that's it? I still see 0%, but then again I did use the recalculate scores option later.

EDIT: Hmm... So one person didn't answer any questions and got a 0/3, but still says 100%.... wtf...

EDIT EDIT: OK!!! So it displays 0% because it has to calculate the job. It does that every so often.

scbubba
Mar 7th, 2013, 12:21 PM
Ok. So after you ran the calculate scores, all the judged entries in Lit's short answer quizzes have appropriate % scores showing now.

Any idea how often that Calculation job runs? The short answer scores were at 0% for a couple of days until you just ran the thing.

Thanks for digging into all this, Kc.

Kc
Mar 7th, 2013, 06:02 PM
Ok. So after you ran the calculate scores, all the judged entries in Lit's short answer quizzes have appropriate % scores showing now.

Any idea how often that Calculation job runs? The short answer scores were at 0% for a couple of days until you just ran the thing.

Thanks for digging into all this, Kc.

I posted that exact question to the plugin developers. Hopefully I will get a response soon.

Litmaster
Mar 10th, 2013, 10:43 AM
I am wondering: if the daily quizzes are each worth 1 point, then shouldn't the weekly quizzes be 5 points???
(more questions and presumably more difficult...right?)

Kc
Mar 18th, 2013, 09:17 AM
I am wondering: if the daily quizzes are each worth 1 point, then shouldn't the weekly quizzes be 5 points???
(more questions and presumably more difficult...right?)

That's something the quizmasters can discus and possibly vote on.

ADDITIONAL NOTES:

The Short Answer and Long Form Answer quizes will be fixed soon. The developer just got back to me about a fix. Should be updated now. Anyone want to try it out?

scbubba
Mar 18th, 2013, 10:05 AM
ADDITIONAL NOTES:

The Short Answer and Long Form Answer quizes will be fixed soon. The developer just got back to me about a fix. Should be updated now. Anyone want to try it out?

I'll give it a try....

Edit: I reopened Kc's Judged Quiz short answer quiz. If a couple of folks could take that one I can test the judging part of it....

Kc
Mar 18th, 2013, 10:38 AM
The invite is also fixed!
If you invite a friend, it works now, like this:

I thought you might be interested in taking this quiz:
http://www.zombiepodcast.com/forum/vbquiz.php?do=quiz&id=27

scbubba
Mar 18th, 2013, 10:44 AM
The invite is also fixed!
If you invite a friend, it works now, like this:

I thought you might be interested in taking this quiz:
http://www.zombiepodcast.com/forum/vbquiz.php?do=quiz&id=27

Very nice! Thanks for making this happen, Kc.

scbubba
Mar 18th, 2013, 11:34 AM
Just tested the judging of short answer quizzes with the help of a762user.

Looks like it works just fine now. As soon as I judged the quiz, the % score showed up correctly in both the quiz entries section and in the users vBQuiz profile section.

Thanks for getting this done, too, Kc!

QUIZMASTERS

This means that short answer and essay quizzes are back in the mix. Remember that you have to judge each of the entries at some point (the sooner the better) for the users to get their scores.

Kc
Mar 18th, 2013, 12:41 PM
Just tested the judging of short answer quizzes with the help of a762user.

Looks like it works just fine now. As soon as I judged the quiz, the % score showed up correctly in both the quiz entries section and in the users vBQuiz profile section.

Thanks for getting this done, too, Kc!

QUIZMASTERS

This means that short answer and essay quizzes are back in the mix. Remember that you have to judge each of the entries at some point (the sooner the better) for the users to get their scores.

Would you mind adding this to the How-To?

scbubba
Mar 18th, 2013, 12:58 PM
Would you mind adding this to the How-To?

I'll do that some time this evening.

nikvoodoo
Apr 15th, 2013, 04:50 AM
Morning quiz masters,

I'm only posting this because I've noticed a lack of follow up re: rep for correct answers on quizzes. I note this because I've gotten them correct and received nothing.

Now personally, I don't give two cruds. I personally just love quizzes like these anyway. My rep is my rep and it is what it is. But if others are taking quizzes and getting correct answers and no rep points that's a problem. So I ask you, is there a reason rep is not being handed out for correct answers?

scbubba
Apr 15th, 2013, 07:23 AM
Morning quiz masters,

I'm only posting this because I've noticed a lack of follow up re: rep for correct answers on quizzes. I note this because I've gotten them correct and received nothing.

Now personally, I don't give two cruds. I personally just love quizzes like these anyway. My rep is my rep and it is what it is. But if others are taking quizzes and getting correct answers and no rep points that's a problem. So I ask you, is there a reason rep is not being handed out for correct answers?

Good question. I think we probably need to have a clarification on the whole thing.

Regarding Reptrivia quizzes, is the expectation that
a) correct answers for all quizzes will result in REP being given to the user by the quiz creator
OR
b) the quiz creator can offer REP for their quizzes at their discretion
OR
c) REP will always be given for scores of 100% on all quizzes but the quiz creator can chose to give out REP for scores lower than 100% at their discretion

I have to admit that I have been operating on the b) expectation. I'm happy to change that if we (or at least those active here) want to agree on something else.

Thoughts?

nikvoodoo
Apr 15th, 2013, 07:52 AM
Good question. I think we probably need to have a clarification on the whole thing.

Regarding Reptrivia quizzes, is the expectation that
a) correct answers for all quizzes will result in REP being given to the user by the quiz creator
OR
b) the quiz creator can offer REP for their quizzes at their discretion
OR
c) REP will always be given for scores of 100% on all quizzes but the quiz creator can chose to give out REP for scores lower than 100% at their discretion

I have to admit that I have been operating on the b) expectation. I'm happy to change that if we (or at least those active here) want to agree on something else.

Thoughts?
Yar har! There be the rub.

I would personally imagine that it should be 100% gets you rep, and lower gets discretionary rep. I know Lit offered a rule on one quiz (which I bombed in spectacular fashion I might add) that if you reached a certain % you'd get rep, and post likes, then post likes, then nothing.

I think if the section is called Rep-trivia I kinda feel like if you get the question correct, you should get the rep. For week long quizzes or quizzes you set special rules to that's a different matter.

I'm not telling you what to do, I just think clarification might be helpful.

scbubba
Apr 15th, 2013, 08:52 AM
Yar har! There be the rub.

I would personally imagine that it should be 100% gets you rep, and lower gets discretionary rep. I know Lit offered a rule on one quiz (which I bombed in spectacular fashion I might add) that if you reached a certain % you'd get rep, and post likes, then post likes, then nothing.

I think if the section is called Rep-trivia I kinda feel like if you get the question correct, you should get the rep. For week long quizzes or quizzes you set special rules to that's a different matter.

I'm not telling you what to do, I just think clarification might be helpful.

I hear ya. I agree we need to clarify it so there's no confusion or dissension. It did grow out of the game-thread we had where the first correct answer to someone's question earned REP and the name is Reptrivia, so it would seem that expectation would be that you could earn REP on every quiz.

I'll create a dedicated thread for garnering feedback on this topic.

Thanks for bringing it up, nik!

EDIT: Here is the discussion thread for awarding REP for REPtrivia: http://www.zombiepodcast.com/forum/showthread.php?4359-The-REP-in-REPtrivia&p=59082&viewfull=1#post59082

scbubba
May 2nd, 2013, 04:11 AM
Quizmasters

Some new information on the creating quizzes.

On the main page you get when you add (or edit) a quiz, there is a line called "Score Type." It is a drop down with the options of "Weighted Score" and "Even Score". These options affect how a quiz taker's % for the quiz is calculated.

Weighted Score
Selecting Weighted Score will give the user the number of points assigned for the answer and score the percentage off the total number of points available across all the questions. The number of questions is not in the equation.
For example, if you make a quiz with 5 questions each worth 1 point a piece, then the user will score X of 5 points where X represents the number of questions answered correctly.
Another example would be to have 5 questions where the first 4 are worth 1 point each but the last question is worth 3 points. In this scenario, the user will score Y out of 7 points (4 one point questions and 1 three point questions: 4 + 3 = 7). If the user gets 2 of the first four questions right and gets the last question right, then the score would be 5 of 7 points.

Even Score
This one is different in that the user gets one point for each question answered correctly regardless of the number of points that you give to the answers. The odd part is that the % is calculated based on the total available points instead of the total number of questions.
For example, in the example worth 7 points above, the user who got 2 of the first four and the last question correct would have a score of 3 of 7 points (instead of the expected 3 of 5).

I think this is a bug, personally. We'll send something to the developer of the plugin about it.

Robzombie
May 2nd, 2013, 06:58 AM
So if we always choose 'weighted score' then we can't really get the scoring wrong is that correct.

Also, I'm adding info in the explanaition section. Mainly chapter, episode, time, and the quote if applicable. See how that works out.

Kc
May 2nd, 2013, 09:06 AM
So if we always choose 'weighted score' then we can't really get the scoring wrong is that correct.

Also, I'm adding info in the explanaition section. Mainly chapter, episode, time, and the quote if applicable. See how that works out.

To be honest, I'm not sure how weighted score works-

scbubba
May 2nd, 2013, 10:08 AM
To be honest, I'm not sure how weighted score works-

I can't find any documentation on either one directly. My explanation/examples above are from trial, error, and observation only. So there is a chance that I'm wrong....

In general though, selecting Weighted Score seems to be the course that ends up correct more often than not at this point.

Osiris
May 2nd, 2013, 10:44 PM
Seems like it's getting needlessly complex.

Unit
Nov 7th, 2013, 09:09 AM
Question regarding rep for the quizzes, so in order for the quiz takers to get rep the quiz master needs to give it to each person individually? I was under the impression that a perfect score automatically gave the taker rep points. Am I wrong?

scbubba
Nov 7th, 2013, 09:53 AM
Question regarding rep for the quizzes, so in order for the quiz takers to get rep the quiz master needs to give it to each person individually? I was under the impression that a perfect score automatically gave the taker rep points. Am I wrong?

Totally the responsibility of the quiz author to a) determine if the quiz taker earned the REP and b) find a post by the quiz taker to REP in order to award it.

It ain't the greatest system, for sure. But it's the one we got. You don't have to actually award anything - that's completely up to you as the creator of the quiz. But if you do offer a reward, it's up to you to follow through....

Sorry I don't have a better answer for you.

Unit
Jan 4th, 2014, 10:58 AM
Did the reptrivia records get reset somehow? I notices I lost my quizmaster award and so I looked up and it says I've only taken 5 quizzes and created 3. I have created something like 40-50 now I think.

Its not really that big of a deal just curious what happened.

Unit
Jan 6th, 2014, 08:51 AM
Looks like it reset with the new year, It is only showing the quizzes I've created and taken since Jan 1st